My Fathers Secret Part 14

Printer-friendly version


 © June 2013


Part Fourteen of 14+


Chapter Twenty Nine: The Trouble with Temps

    Jessica had called Jane on the Tuesday evening when they got home, and Jessica was glad that she’d talked Kirstin into stopping the night, not that it took much convincing. Kirstin was glad that Jessica had asked her to stop, due to Kirstin not wanting to be away from Jessica.

     “Why don’t you take my car and use it for the time being?” Jessica asked Kirstin the next morning while the three of them sat eating breakfast. “I hardly use it these days, due to me going to the office with mother.” Jessica added before Kirstin could argue the point.

     “Are you sure...?” Kirstin asked.

     “Yes...” Jessica said with a silly grin.

     “But if I take your car, I won’t have a reason to see you so much.” Kirstin pouted.

     “You’re welcome to come and stop here anytime you want sweetie.” Joan said.

     “Thanks for that, but I’d hate to over stay my welcome and cause the two of you any trouble.”

     “You could never do anything like that.” Joan said as she waved off Kirstin’s worries.

    Kirstin felt a little better knowing she could come and stop anytime, and she had a feeling she’d be stopping quite a bit after that day.

    The three of them finished breakfast and then they went to finish getting ready for work. Kirstin wasn’t due at work until later in the day, but she needed to go back to her aunts and make sure she was alright, and also fill her in on the fun weekend she’d had with Jessica and Joan in London.

*****

    Joan and Jessica went to check out the building work in the new office that Debbie would be using once they got to the office.

     “Wow, they sure did an amazing job in here.” Jessica said as she looked around the very different looking office to the one they left on Thursday.

    The office was just an empty room on Thursday, but now it was a smaller version of Joan’s office, complete with a large desk, filing cabinets and sideboard. The only thing missing was personal items to let people know it belonged to anyone, but that was about to change when they both heard a voice from the doorway.

     “Reporting for work boss...” Debbie was grinning when Joan and Jessica turned to look at her.

     “Debbie...!” Jessica squealed as she ran over to hug her friend and welcome her back to work after her maternity leave. “What do you think to your new office...?” Jessica asked as she broke the hug.

     “I need to actually take a look around before I can answer that Jessie.” Debbie laughed as she playfully slapped Jessica on the arm.

     “Welcome back to work Deb’s.” Joan smiled as she stepped over and gave Debbie a hug.

    Joan and Jessica stepped back and let Debbie look around her new office. They both watched as Debbie smiled while walking the length of her desk as she ran a finger across the surface.

     “Is this really my office?” Debbie asked.

     “Yes, and I hope you’ve come back ready to work.” Joan grinned an evil grin that Debbie had missed while she was away.

     “I gather you’ve not told anyone about my return, because Rebecca looked shocked to see me here dressed for work.” Debbie grinned as she remembered the look on Rebecca’s face when she saw Debbie walk in and wave as she made her way back to Joan’s part of the building.

     “Jessica and I are the only two that know about you returning today and also that this is your new office.” Joan informed her.

     “If I know Rebecca like I do, she will soon find a reason to come back and find out what the story is.” Debbie said just before she sat in her new chair to see what it felt like to sit behind her new desk.

     “Would you like me to make the two of you a drink while you sort out your work load for the day?” Jessica asked, eager to get back to her job looking after her two bosses’.

     “Yes please Jessica, and please make one for yourself, so we can relax in here today and let Debbie get used to her new office while we work out a plan of attack.” Joan said as she walked over to the set of sofas in the corner and took a seat on one. Debbie joined her, while Jessica ran off to sort out the drinks.

*****

     “I expected to find Deb’s in here doing this.” Rebecca said in her normal smug sounding tone of voice as she appeared at the doorway to the small kitchen area where Jessica was busy sorting out their drinks.

     “And what made you think that.” Jessica asked in a matter of fact way while she carried on making the drinks.

     “I thought you’d be settling into your new office.” Rebecca sounding a little angry as she said it.

     “I don’t have a new office, just the same old desk out there that I always use.” Jessica tried to look puzzled, but really she knew what Rebecca was getting at.

     “Then who is the office for that Joan has been sorting out for the past week?” Rebecca was the one that looked confused now.

     “That’s Debbie’s new office.” Jessica said in the same matter of fact tone. “Joan promoted Debbie, so I could carry on working for the two of them as a joint PA.” Jessica added with pride.

    Rebecca went red faced due to her being so angry over Debbie getting a promotion, and also finding out that Jessica would be keeping her job as well. Jessica knew that Rebecca was smart enough to realise that she was never going to get promoted to work closer to Joan than she already was now.

     “Did you need me for something...?” Jessica asked when she could see that Rebecca was lost in her own thoughts. “I’m just about to head back to Debbie’s new office if you want to come and have a look at it...?” Jessica was trying not to start grinning as she asked, but she already knew that Rebecca would want to go and bitch to anyone willing to listen to her, about how unfair it is for Debbie to get promoted.

     “I’d love to, but I need to get back to the main reception.” Rebecca said as she spun on her heels and quickly walked back out of the room.

*****

     “I was just about to come looking for you Jessie.” Debbie said when Jessica finally returned to her office with a tray of drinks for them all.

     “I’m sorry, but I just got cornered by Rebecca.” Jessica said with a roll of her eyes as she placed the tray on the coffee table between the two sofas and sorted out their drinks.

     “Did you tell her that I was back, and this is my new office?” Debbie asked with a whine to her voice because she wanted to be the one to tell Rebecca the good news.

     “I’m sorry Deb’s, but she cornered me, so I had no choice but to spill the beans.” Jessica confessed.

     “How did she take the news...?” Debbie asked excited to hear what Rebecca’s reaction to the news was, but Debbie already had a pretty good idea it wasn’t going to be good, which was the main reason for her wanting to be the one to break the news to Rebecca.

     “It looked like her head was going to explode to begin with.” Jessica giggled. “She thought you were just going to take your old job back, and Joan was sorting out this office for me to use.”

     “I wish I could have been there when she found out this office was mine.” Debbie grinned.

     “I think Rebecca realised that she will never advance any further than the main reception, and she didn’t look happy about it.” Jessica said as she took a seat next to Debbie on one of the sofas facing Joan.

     “With a bit of luck, she might even decide to hand in her notice.” Debbie said sounding just a little too hopeful.

     “We can live and hope.” Joan said just before she took a sip from her cup.

     “If you don’t like having Rebecca working for you, then why don’t you fire her?” Jessica asked.

     “Rebecca is smarter than she lets on, and she knows that she could take the company to court if I just fired her without a good reason, but passing her over for promotion is one way to force her to leave without any blowback on me or the company.” Joan said with a shrug.

    Jessica couldn’t argue with Joan on that one, Rebecca always seemed to know what was going on, even if she did act a little hair headed most the time. Jessica had seen Rebecca slip and say something that just didn’t fit in with the normal way she acted.

    They all finished their drinks and Jessica returned the cups and the tray to the small kitchen and got everything washed and left to dry while she returned to Joan’s office where Joan and Debbie had gone to make a start on their first case of the day.

    Jessica was happy to run back and forth sorting out printouts and other papers for Joan and Debbie as they asked her for something. Jessica found herself twice as busy, but also happy to be so needed at the same time. Debbie would help Jessica when she was up to her neck sorting something for Joan, but most the time Jessica was able to keep Joan and Debbie happy.

*****

    The morning flew by and it was soon lunchtime and Joan decided she was going to take Jessica and Debbie out for lunch, so they finished up the case they were working on and then they all grabbed their purses and left the office once they had called in at the day-care to pick up the twins.

    Joan had set up the day-care a couple of years back when she had a couple of her other employees get pregnant, and she hired another couple of single mums that were very good at their jobs.

     “She really doesn’t look very happy at all does she?” Debbie said as she referred to Rebecca, once they were all stood out at Debbie’s car. They were all going in Debbie’s car because it already had the seats fitted for the two babies to sit in. Jessica managed to get into the seat between the twins, and both babies giggled as they each played with one of Jessica’s hands.

     “Working on a reception desk is all she’s suited for.” Joan said as she got in the car. “She’s fooling herself if she thinks she’ll ever do anything else, at least in my company anyway.” Joan added with a laugh.

    Deciding that they had all had enough of talking about Rebecca and her short comings, they all started talking about the babies and how Debbie and Paul were settling into their new home.

     “It’s wonderful to have all that room, and Paul is just amazing in that kitchen.” Debbie sounded really happy about the new house and the fact it’s so much bigger than their old place. “Speaking of the new house.” Debbie added with a slight pleading in her voice. “Paul and I were wondering if you and Kirstin would be alright to babysit this Saturday?” Debbie asked.

     “We’d love to...!” Jessica answered right away as she played with the two babies who giggled and squealed back at her excitedly.

     “Don’t you want to ask Kirstin first?” Debbie asked.

     “No need, I already know she’d be fine with it, and we don’t have anything else planned for Saturday.” Jessica informed Debbie.

     “Isn’t Kirstin working on Saturday though?” Debbie asked.

     “No, she’s traded her Saturdays with one of the other girls, so she can spend more time with me.” Jessica grinned.

     “I think the two of you are perfect for each other.” Debbie smiled as she looked in the rear view mirror. “I can tell that you really love each other and you always look happy when you’re together.” Debbie added.

     “I was a fool once before and I lost her, I don’t plan to lose her again.” Jessica sounded determined.

     “You were a different person back then.” Debbie argued.

     “Yes, very different.” Joan agreed as she looked over at Jessica sat in the back, as she tried to remember when Jessica was still dressing as Jonathan, but she found it hard to see Jonathan in the young woman sat in the back of the car between the two babies.

    They found a nice little place to eat, and Jessica helped Debbie feed the twins while they ate a light lunch themselves. Joan was happy to help as well, so they weren’t out all afternoon.

*****

    Jessica was in the middle of typing up some reports for Joan later in the day when she saw Rebecca walk into her outer office and make her way over to Joan’s office door.

     “Where do you think you’re going Rebecca?” Jessica asked as she jumped up and blocked Rebecca’s route to Joan’s office door.

     “I want to have a word with Joan, so please get out of my way...!” Rebecca snapped as she tried to push Jessica out of her way, but Jessica was ready for this and she soon had Rebecca’s arm twisted around and Rebecca pushed up against the closed office door.

     “You can’t just barge in like that.” Jessica warned as she pushed Rebecca up against the office door a little harder.

     “Get your hands off me you crazy bitch...!” Rebecca snapped as she tried to make Jessica let go.

     “If you want to see Joan, you can make an appointment like everyone else.” Jessica said as she spun Rebecca around and pushed her away from Joan’s office door. “You can’t just barge in whenever you feel like it.” Jessica snapped, almost letting her voice break into Jonathan’s as she did.

    Rebecca was just about to speak when she saw Joan’s office door open and Joan come storming out of her office to find out what all the noise was about.

     “What the hell is going on out here...?” Joan snapped as she looked at first Jessica and then Rebecca.

     “I was trying to come and see you when this crazy bitch assaulted me...!” Rebecca said as she pointed at Jessica.

     “Is this true Jessica?” Joan asked.

     “Yes, but she tried to just walk into your office without an appointment, or even asking if she could come in and see you.” Jessica sounded nervous about what she’d just done to stop Rebecca getting in to see Joan.

     “Is this true...?” Joan asked Rebecca this time.

     “Yes, but I shouldn’t have to ask her anything.” Rebecca said as she looked at Jessica with daggers in her eyes.

     “And what gives you more rights than anyone else that wants to come and see me?” Joan asked with a raised eyebrow over just how bold Rebecca was being. “Jessica is well within her rights to stop you gaining access to my office unless I say otherwise, and you didn’t book an appointment.” Joan explained.

     “But I’m not a client, I work for you.” Rebecca sounded shocked that she would need to book an appointment for some reason.

     “Yes, you do work for me, and that means you should be on the main reception to welcome people coming to see someone here in the building, but you still need to book an appointment, just like everyone else that works for me.” Joan said with anger edging her voice. “But I do have five minutes to spare, so please come in and have this word with me.” Joan added in a board sounding tone.

    Rebecca gave Jessica a smug look as she walked past her, Jessica was waiting for Rebecca to stick her tongue out like they were children on a playground and she’d won some big victory, but Jessica had come to learn that Joan’s tone didn’t bode well for Rebecca if she said the wrong thing.

    Jessica wished she was a fly on the wall, so she could hear what was being said between the two of them, but she was soon being distracted by Debbie coming out of her office to find out what Joan was shouting about.

     “Who was Joan shouting at just now?” Debbie asked as she sat on the edge of Jessica’s desk.

     “Rebecca tried to force her way into see Joan, and I stopped her.” Jessica started to explain. “Joan came out to find out what was going on, and Rebecca called me a crazy bitch, and tried to make out I assaulted her.”

     “She called you a crazy bitch...?” Debbie sounded shocked.

     “Yes, and Rebecca seems to think that because she works for Joan, she shouldn’t need an appointment to see her.” Jessica explained.

     “Did she say this in front of Joan?” Debbie asked open mouthed.

     “Yep...” Jessica grinned. “Joan sounded ready to kill Rebecca as she asked her to go into her office.” Jessica added as she looked at Joan’s closed office door where she could hear the faint sound of voices on the other side.

     “Rebecca will be lucky to leave Joan’s office with her job if she thinks she can talk to Joan like that.” Debbie sighed.

     “I thought you and Joan said she would have to quit her job though?” Jessica whispered.

     “Normally, yes that would be the case, but Joan won’t be spoken to like that and let the person get away with it.” Debbie explained.

    Jessica was just about to speak when she saw Rebecca come storming out of Joan’s office and walk right past her and Debbie without saying a single word, but she did give them both a dirty look as she walked past.

     “I don’t think that went the way Rebecca was hoping.” Debbie said as she stated the obvious.

     “Do you think Joan fired her?” Jessica asked as she looked at the doorway Rebecca had just left through.

     “I didn’t have to.” Joan said with a smile as she stepped out of her office and walked over to join Jessica and Debbie and Jessica’s desk. “She handed me her notice and said she was leaving if I didn’t move her to a better job within the business.” Joan shrugged.

     “What did you say to that?” Debbie asked with a grin like she already knew the answer, but she still wanted to hear Joan’s version.

     “I said fine, and then told her not to let the door hit her oversize backside on the way out of the building.” Joan grinned. “I think at first she thought I was saying alright to her having a better job.” Joan added with a giggle.

     “I’m going to miss her...” Debbie pouted just before she started grinning. Debbie had never liked Rebecca from the first time they met each other.

     “Yes, I’m sure you’ll miss her like a hole in the head.” Jessica giggled. “What are you going to do about the main reception though?” Jessica asked on a more serious note.

     “I was hoping you could cover for her today, and I’ll sort out a temp until I can get a replacement sorted out.” Joan asked Jessica with a pleading tone to her voice.

     “Okay, but I’ve never done anything like that before.” Jessica sounded nervous about meeting people as they entered the building. “And what about all this paperwork?” Jessica asked as she looked at all the files scattered across her desk.

     “I can cover for you in here for a couple of days.” Debbie offered.

     “You will only need to cover for this afternoon Jessica.” Joan promised. “I’ll have a temp in here by tomorrow.” Joan explained.

     “You may need to help the temp get used to how we do things around here, so I’d give it a couple of days before you’re back in here doing your normal job again.” Debbie warned. “Just call me if you have any problems.” Debbie smiled.

     “Debbie was the one that trained Rebecca to do the job.” Joan explained when Jessica gave Debbie a puzzled look over the offer to help her if she had any questions.

    Jessica was soon out on the main reception and she quickly got the hang of the switchboard and computer system as she took people’s names and who they had come to see. Jessica took a couple in to see Joan and left them waiting with Debbie before she returned to the main reception to carry on her temporary job.

    The afternoon seemed to fly by, and it was soon time to go home with Joan. Jessica helped Debbie get the twins in her car before she went back to Joan’s office to see if Joan was ready to leave yet.

     “Thank you so much for stepping in and covering for Rebecca.” Joan said as she gave Jessica a hug when Jessica stepped into Joan’s office.

     “Were you able to get a temp in to take over until you can find someone more permanent?” Jessica asked.

     “Yes, they will be here in the morning, but I will need you to show them the ropes because they don’t have much training.” Joan explained as she packed her things away in her briefcase.

     “Why have you agreed to let them temp for you then?” Jessica sounded confused.

     “They said that they are a little short of qualified people for the job at the minute, and this person is better than me leaving you on the main desk.” Joan smiled.

    Jessica felt a deep sense of pride over Joan wanting her PA back helping her instead of manning the front desk. “I’ll soon have them trained up even better than Rebecca ever was.” Jessica promised.

     “That won’t be hard.” Joan frowned.

     “True...” Jessica giggled.

    Joan finished getting ready to leave and then they left the office, and then the building after saying goodnight to the security guard on reception.

     Jessica didn’t see Kirstin that night due to Kirstin being at work all evening, but Jessica did send her a text explaining about Debbie asking them to babysit for her on Saturday night. Kirstin sent a text back saying she was looking forward to looking after the little ones, and getting to see Jessica show her maternal instincts again. Jessica just smiled as she thought about doing the same with Kirstin.

*****

    The company Joan had contacted about sending a temp out were good to their word, and a young woman was waiting in reception the next morning when Joan and Jessica arrived. Joan wandered off to her office while Jessica sorted out the woman by showing her what she needed to do on the computer to get a clients name up and the person they were here to see. Jessica also explained about no one getting past the security guards without getting the all clear from Claire, which was the name of the young woman.

    Once Jessica had Claire sorted out, and she’d managed to sort out a couple of clients who had early meetings, Jessica went to sort out drinks for Joan and Debbie. Debbie had arrived while Jessica was showing Claire the ropes, so they had just waved to each other as Debbie wandered past on her way to the day-care with the twins.

     “How’s the new girl working out?” Debbie asked as she poked her head around the door to the little kitchen area where Jessica was sorting out drinks for the three of them.

     “She’s a little nervous, but I hope that will clear as the morning goes on.” Jessica said being honest about Claire.

     “Joan will want you to keep a close eye on her for the next couple of days, and if she’s any good, Joan will hire her full time.” Debbie explained.

     “But I thought Joan was putting an advert on some job sites?” Jessica asked.

     “She will if none of the temps work out.” Debbie shrugged. “But if she can find a temp that picks up the job right away, she will hire them, so it saves us time showing someone else the ropes, which means you get back to your normal job of waiting on me and Joan.” Debbie added with a grin.

     “You make me sound like a slave to you and Joan.” Jessica pouted.

     “You are, but a well loved slave.” Debbie giggled as she stepped over and gave Jessica a hug. Jessica just giggled as she enjoyed the hug. “Did you manage to speak with Kirstin last night about babysitting on Saturday?” Debbie asked once she’d stopped hugging Jessica and let her get back to making their drinks.

     “I texted her last night, and she’s looking forward to it.” Jessica smiled.

     “That’s wonderful.” Debbie grinned as she threw her arms around Jessica and she hugged her again.

    Debbie waited for Jessica to finish making the drinks, and then she walked to Joan’s office with Jessica and opened Joan’s office door once they reached it. Jessica sorted out their drinks and then they sat talking about their day and what they needed to get done. Joan asked Jessica how the new girl was getting on, and Jessica told her the same things she’d said to Debbie while she was making their drinks.

    They soon finished their drinks and Jessica took the dirty cups away and got everything cleaned up in the little kitchen before she went out to the main reception to see how Claire was getting on.

    Jessica frowned when she got to the main reception and found one of the security guards manning the desk, and Clair nowhere to be seen.

     “Where’s Claire?” Jessica asked.

     “She said she was going to the restroom, but that was fifteen minutes ago.” The man frowned.

    Jessica could understand the need to visit the restroom, but even Jessica knew it didn’t take fifteen minutes, not unless you were ill. With this in mind Jessica was worried Claire might be feeling ill, due to her nerves getting the better of her, but when Jessica got to the restroom it was empty. Jessica wondered if the job had been too much for Claire and she’d done a runner. She was just on her way back to Joan’s office to tell her Claire had gone missing when she saw Claire stood outside having a cigarette and chatting to a couple of guys. Not being very happy about Claire taking a break so early into her work day, Jessica returned to the main reception and relieved the guard until Claire returned.

    It was another ten minutes before Claire came wandering back in smelling of cigarettes. Claire knew right away that she was in trouble by the look on Jessica’s face.

     “I’m sorry I was gone for so long, but it’s that time of the month, and I wasn’t feeling well.” Claire lied to Jessica, not realising that Jessica had seen her stood outside chatting to some guys.

    The smell of cigarettes coming from Claire was making Jessica feel sick, so Jessica knew it wasn’t going to be nice for the clients entering the building, but the biggest problem Jessica had with Claire was the fact she’d just lied to her face about being ill when she was slacking off like it was a cushy job she’d found herself, and she could get away with anything.

     “I know you’re lying Claire, I saw you stood outside talking to some men while you had a cigarette, and I can smell the cigarettes on you from here.” Jessica said as she screwed her nose up. “This isn’t going to work, so get your things and leave.” Jessica added just before she turned and started sorting out a client that had entered the building.

    Claire just stood looking at Jessica opened mouthed for a couple of seconds before she snatched up her purse form under the reception desk and stormed out the building.

    Jessica wasn’t sure how Joan would react to what she’d just done, but Jessica couldn’t see the point of keeping Claire in the building if she wasn’t going to do the job she was being hired for, and also because she stunk of cigarettes.

    It was another forty minutes before Jessica was able to go and inform Joan about her having to let Claire go. Jessica asked one of the security guards to cover for her while she went to explain everything to Joan.

     “Hello dear.” Joan said as she looked up at Jessica after she’d walked into Joan’s office. “Is everything alright...?” Joan asked when she saw the worried look on Jessica’s face.

     “Not really mother.” Jessica sounded nervous, and felt nervous now she was face to face with Joan and about to tell her what she’d done to Claire.

     “What’s wrong?” Joan asked as she got up and walked around her desk to stand with Jessica.

     “I kind of fired the new help.” Jessica said with a pained look while she waited for Joan to blow her top, but Joan just smirked.

     “Was she that bad?” Joan asked as the smirk turned into a grin.

     “You’re not angry with me for firing her?” Jessica looked shocked.

     “No, she was working under your department so to speak, and if she wasn’t pulling her weight, then you did the right thing.” Joan said with pride in her voice over what Jessica had done.

     “She wandered off to the restroom and came back thirty minutes later stinking of cigarettes, and then she lied to me and said she wasn’t feeling well, when I’d already seen her stood outside the building chatting up some guys.” Jessica grumbled.

     “You did the right thing Jessica, but this does mean you’ll have to spend another day on the reception desk.” Joan pouted.

     “Better that than letting someone like Claire meet and greet the clients when they enter the building.” Jessica replied.

    Jessica returned to the front desk and carried on doing the job of a receptionist until Joan could get another person in to try out for the job. Jessica just hopes that the next person was more suited to the job than Claire was.

*****

    Jessica was all smiles that evening when she ran to the front door at home after seeing her car pull into the driveway, Jessica had let Kirstin use it due to her going into work with Joan, and not having much need for a car these days and Kirstin was relying on public transport and Jessica to get around.

     “Hi baby...!” Jessica shouted after opening the door and seeing Kirstin stood their grinning back as she looked Jessica up and down. Kirstin still found it hard to believe that this bubbly little woman was once her not so happy boyfriend. “You look worn out.” Jessica added looking worried as she pulled Kirstin into the house and closed the front door.

     “Hi baby.” Kirstin said with a sigh as she let Jessica pull her into a hug just before they started kissing each other. “I’m dead on my feet.” Kirstin agreed. “We’ve got some new area manager hanging around, and he’s picking faults with everything and everyone.” Kirstin complained.

     “I’m sorry to hear that, but you don’t need to worry about him until tomorrow now.” Jessica said just before she leaned in for another kiss.

     “Good...!” Kirstin grinned between kisses.

     “Joan and I were just sorting out something to eat; do you want to join us?” Jessica asked as she led Kirstin by the hand to the kitchen where Joan’s head was buried in the fridge.

     “I’d love to, but only if it’s not any trouble.” Kirstin said. “Hi Joan...!” Kirstin added as she saw Joan turn to look at her over her shoulder.

     “Hello dear.” Joan smiled as she walked over to give Kirstin a hug. “And I’ve told you to call me mother.” Joan scolded her with a playful slap on the arm.

     “I thought that was just why we were away?” Kirstin argued.

     “No, I like the idea of you both calling me mother.” Joan grinned.

     “Does this mean I need to buy you a mother’s day gift then as well?” Kirstin giggled.

     “I’d love that...!” Joan grinned even more.

    Jessica and Kirstin smiled as the two of them both started forming ideas of what they would like to do for Joan on mother’s day. Kirstin had never really done anything for mother’s day because her mother left while she was still very young, and Jessica hadn’t done much for mother’s day due to Jonathan’s mother being too ill towards the end to appreciate it.

     “It looks like we’ve got some planning to do.” Jessica grinned.

    Joan felt like she should try and talk Jessica and Kirstin out of wanting to do anything for her on mother’s day, but a bigger part wanted them to spoil her because she’d never had the chance to celebrate that special day each year.

    Jessica tried to make Kirstin take a seat at the kitchen table why she and Joan carried on sorting out something for dinner, but Kirstin wanted to help, and soon the three of them were sorting out dinner.

     “How was work today?” Kirstin asked Jessica.

     “It was alright, but I ended up stuck on reception again.” Jessica grumbled.

     “I thought you’d got a temp in to cover for Rebecca until you could find someone more permanent?” Kirstin asked with a puzzled look. Kirstin had called and spoken to Jessica while she was taking a break the night before, and Jessica had told her about Rebecca getting a bag on over Debbie’s promotion and Jessica getting to keep her job.

     “That was the plan, but Jessica decided to fire the temp after a couple of hours.” Joan explained with a smirk.

     “You fired the temp?” Kirstin looked shocked. “What did she do to upset you?” Kirstin asked.

     “She lied to me, and also took a break when she’d not even been on reception for an hour.” Jessica said sounding defensive. “She came back in stinking of cigarette smoke as well.” Jessica added as she carried on making a mixed salad.

     “What’s going to happen now then?” Kirstin asked.

     “The agency is sending out someone else in the morning.” Joan smiled. “I just hope this one lives up to Jessica’s standards.” Joan teased.

     “Are you telling me that you’d have given her another chance then mother?” Jessica asked as she turned to face Joan with a hand on her hip trying to look angry.

     “No, and I wouldn’t have waited for her to come back into the building to tell her she was fired either.” Joan said in a firm tone.

     “I have to agree with Jo... I mean mother.” Kirstin grinned. “I would have told them not to bother coming back to work, if they worked at the restaurant.”

     “So you both think I was being too soft with her?” Jessica looked confused at the fact they had both acted like she’d done a bad thing, but they both would have done something far worse to Claire.

     “No, not soft, just more thoughtful about hurting Claire’s feelings.” Joan tried to explain. “You were in charge, and Claire lied to you about where she’d been, so it was up to you how you dealt with her and you did it in a practical way that prevented her from looking foolish.” Joan added with pride in her voice.

     “It didn’t stop her from storming out though and calling me names as she went.” Jessica shrugged.

     “She’ll be someone else’s problem from now on, just like Rebecca will be.” Joan smiled; glad to be rid of Rebecca.

    They soon had dinner ready and the three of them sat at the kitchen table to enjoy it. Once the meal was finished and the three of them had loaded up the dishwasher, they retired to the living room to relax and watch a little TV before bedtime. Kirstin had already been talking into stopping the night while they enjoyed dinner.

    Kirstin borrowed one of Jessica’s nightgowns that night and they were soon cuddled up together as sleep overtook them.

*****

    Jessica slipped out of bed the next morning to join Joan for their morning swim; she was trying not to wake Kirstin.

     “Are you trying to sneak off?” Kirstin asked in a sleepy voice as she looked at Jessica slipping into a swim suit.

     “No, but I thought you could use a little more sleep.” Jessica tried to explain her reason for sneaking around the room as she got ready for her swim.

     “I was hoping I could join you for a swim before you left for work.” Kirstin pouted.

     “I’d like that a lot.” Jessica grinned as she ran over to her chest of drawers where she kept her swim suits and picked one out for Kirstin to wear.

    Kirstin slipped out of bed and then let the nightgown slide down her body to land in a puddle of silk about her feet.

     “God you’re so beautiful” Jessica said as she drank in Kirstin’s naked body.

    Kirstin just blushed as she took the swim suit out of Jessica’s hand and then slipped into it. “You’re not looking to shabby yourself.” Kirstin purred as she stepped over to Jessica and wrapped her arms around her so they could share a good morning kiss.

    Joan was already in the pool when Jessica and Kirstin got down there, so they both jumped in and started swimming lengths of the pool next to Joan. Kirstin was getting better and she even managed to keep up with Jessica and Joan for a couple of lengths before she started to feel the strain in her arms and legs. Kirstin slowed to a pace she could maintain.

     “You don’t look as worn out this morning.” Jessica smiled as she helped Kirstin out of the pool at the end of their swim.

     “I don’t feel as worn out.” Kirstin said with pride. “I actually feel more energetic than I have in a long time”

     “I’m glad that I’m finally having a positive effect on your life.” Jessica smiled.

     “Jonathan had a positive effect on my life.” Kirstin argued. “Just not as positive as Jessica.” Kirstin added with a grin as she leaned in to give her lover a kiss.

*****

    Jessica and Kirstin got showered and dressed before joining Joan in the kitchen for some breakfast, which was fresh fruit and yogurt. With breakfast out the way, Joan and Jessica finished getting ready for work while Kirstin got her things together so she could return to her aunt’s house for a couple of hours before she had to go into work for a staff meeting with the area manager.

     “Will I see you this evening?” Jessica asked after she’d walked Kirstin out to her car.

     “Do you want to see me this evening?” Kirstin smirked because she already knew the answer to that question.

     “I always want to see you.” Jessica said with pain in her voice over the fact she was heading to work rather than spending time with Kirstin.

     “I’ll see you this evening then.” Kirstin grinned as she leaned in for a kiss.

    Jessica helped Kirstin get in her car and then she waved as she watched Kirstin drive away. Jessica let out a sigh and then made her way over to Joan’s car and got in the front passenger seat and put her seatbelt on.

     “Are you alright sweetie?” Joan asked as she saw that Jessica looked a little sad now that Kirstin had gone.

     “I’ll be fine once I get to work.” Jessica smiled. “I just find it hard to believe that Kirstin still loves me, even though I’m going to be a woman one day soon.” Jessica added with a silly grin plastered across her face.

     “She’s a very special woman, and I’m glad you have each other.” Joan agreed.

     “She needs to be to put up with me.” Jessica giggled.

     “Stop putting yourself down.” Joan grumbled as she slapped Jessica on the arm. “That’s my job as your evil boss.” Joan added with a grin.

     “And you’re a bully.” Jessica pouted as she rubbed her arm where Joan just slapped her, even though it didn’t hurt really.

    Joan was soon pulling into the parking area at their office building, and the two of them got out the car and made their way inside. Debbie was already in her office, and the smell of fresh coffee was wafting around the place.

     “I hope you don’t mind me helping out while you’re helping out on reception?” Debbie asked when she saw Joan and Jessica walk in.

     “No I don’t mind; just don’t get use to it because I will be back in here soon, I hope.” Jessica frowned.

     “I’ll get the advert sorted out later this morning.” Debbie said as she stepped over and gave Jessica a hug.

     “Speaking of the main reception, I better go and see who the agency has sent us today.” Jessica let out a sigh due to her not expecting much if yesterdays temp was anything to go by.

     “Aren’t you going to have a coffee first?” Joan asked.

     “I’ll join you later for a cup.” Jessica said as she looked at the time. “I want to get the new receptionist settled in before I try to get on with my normal job.” Jessica added as she spun on her heels and walked out the office and made her way back towards the reception desk.

    Jessica couldn’t see anyone that looked like they were waiting to start work on reception, so she stepped behind the desk and relieved the security man that had been doing the job of sorting people out as they came into the building.

    It was just before nine thirty when an out of breath woman ran into the building. She made her way over to Jessica and leaned on the desk while she tried to get her breath back. Jessica gave her a couple of minutes before she asked her anything.

     “Who do you wish to see?” Jessica asked with a smile.

     “I’m your new temp.” The woman informed Jessica. “The agency sent me.” She added. “I’m sorry I’m late, but they only called me this morning just before eight thirty.” The woman explained.

     “Please don’t worry about it.” Jessica said, understanding why the woman was out of breath now, but Jessica was impressed with the fact she was still able to get to the building with a couple of minutes to spare before she was due to start work at nine thirty.

    Jessica showed the woman where to put her purse and coat before she explained the way they did things. Jessica found out the woman’s name was Emma. Emma was soon welcoming people as they entered the building, and Jessica thought they might have found someone to replace Rebecca, but Jessica was being a little optimistic. Jessica had just shown some clients into Joan’s office and she returned to the front desk to see how Emma was settling in when she saw a couple of clients stood waiting to be seen to while Emma was sat behind the reception desk tapping away on her cell phone texting someone.

     “I’m sorry to keep you waiting.” Jessica said as she greeted the clients at the front of the cue. Jessica frowned at Emma, who was slipping her phone back in her pocket while looking rather sheepish about being caught.

    Emma sorted out the other couple that were waiting to be seen to, and they were soon being shown where to go. Once the reception area was clear of clients, Jessica stepped back over to where Emma was behind the reception, so she could have a word about not keeping the clients waiting.

     “Can you please refrain from using your phone while on the reception, Emma?” Jessica said in a polite tone.

     “I’m sorry Jessica, but my friend wanted to know if I could join her for lunch, and I had to explain that I was working today.” Emma said with a grin.

    Jessica let the matter drop at that point because she thought Emma now knew better, but it wasn’t long before she caught Emma using her phone again, and then a little later she thought Emma was talking to a client on the company phone, but after listening to the conversation for a couple of minutes, Jessica soon realised that she was talking to her boyfriend, and some of the things being said shouldn’t have been said while Emma was working on a reception desk of a busy law firm.

     “How’s the new girl working out?” Joan asked when Jessica finally joined her and Debbie a little later in the morning for a coffee.

     “I’ve not fired her yet, but I don’t think we’ll be asking her to come back on Monday.” Jessica frowned.

     “Why not...?” Debbie asked, eager to find out what Jessica didn’t like about this one.

     “I’ve caught her texting her friends while clients were waiting to be shown to the person they had come to see, and she called her boyfriend to have phone sex by the sounds of it.” Jessica frowned.

     “I think we should call another agency and see if they can offer someone a little better suited for the job.” Joan sighed.

     “Please don’t bother with any more agencies.” Jessica pleaded. “Just do the advert and let’s interview for someone. I can’t cope with anymore time wasters.” Jessica said as she cupped her hands together like she was praying.

    Joan and Debbie laughed, but they did agree with Jessica on the point that the agency they were using was just sending anyone to play receptionist.

    Jessica worked with Emma for the rest of the day, and she even thanked Emma for all her hard work. Jessica thought Emma had improved a lot by the end of the day, but she lacked the confidence to be a really good receptionist.

    It was soon time to knock off and Jessica went to find Joan in her office and they both left to go home and relax. Jessica decided to give Jane a call and tell her about the two useless women the agency had sent them as receptionists.

    Jane just found the whole thing funny and laughed while Jessica told her all about her last two days.

    Jessica finally ended the call when the doorbell chimed and Jessica saw Kirstin stood on the doorstep when she opened the door to her. Jessica threw her arms around Kirstin and hugged her just before stealing a kiss or two. Jessica had already ended the call with Jane, so she could give Kirstin her full attention.

     “Is everything alright baby?” Jessica asked when she sensed that Kirstin was upset about something.

     “No...! Not really.” Kirstin grumbled as she let Jessica lead her into the living room and then helped her to sit on one of the sofas in there. “That pig of an area manager had the cheek to ask me out on a date.” Kirstin started to explain. “Then he got all bent out of shape when I told him I was already going steady with someone.”

     “I’m sorry you’ve had a bad day.” Jessica pouted just before she kissed Kirstin again. “How much longer will he be with you?” Jessica asked between kisses.

     “I’m not sure, but I hope that my turning him down might make him move on a little fast.” Kirstin sounded hopeful.

    Kirstin didn’t want to let her area manager spoil anymore of her evening, so she changed the subject, and was happy to listen to Jessica moan about the latest temp she’d had to put up with all day. Kirstin wanted details when Jessica mentioned about the phone sex Emma was having.

    Jessica and Kirstin were both tired, so they called it a night early and went to bed, where they cuddled up together and fell asleep in each other’s arms, too tired to do anything else.

*****

 

To Be Continued Next Friday  GRIN

 

Story by SaraUK

 

Edited and Posted by SamanthaK

    EDITORS NOTE: Please Comment and/or leave Kudos and let Sara know you like her work please, Any comments on spelling, grammar or the layout of the story please PM me “Samanthak” not Sara. Thank you

    Authors Note: Cathy, Jane and all the others that Jessica and Joan meet while down in London, are all characters I wrote about in my; You Have it all Wrong series. Even thought you don’t hear about Jane’s story until book four ‘You have it all Wrong Four, the Kids Story’ the time line for this story is set between book three and book four. So to find out more about Chrissy, Amy and Cathy, and how they all became the women they are in this story, you will need to go back and read them.

    Hugs

    SaraUK

up
222 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

New Receptist

I think that will be a perfect job for Kirstin

If I were Kirstin it would be a bit below me

After all she is managerial and frankly being a receptionist would under use her abilities.

Jessica's near loss of voice control is an occupational hazard of being trans especially early on in transition as your vocal apparatus has not totally acclimated to a new pitch and intonation and timber.

Jessica is learning to assert herself as a woman though and she is learning to manage people. She will doubtless become a more managerial in her responsibilities.

Kim

True, I didn't think of the

True, I didn't think of the fact that Kirstin was a manager.

The area manager is treading

The area manager is treading thin ice, if he pursues her more he can be done for sexual harassment. As for reception, how sad is it that people cant even make enough effort on the first day. Lets hope they get some proper applications soon.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Really thin ice

Not just the harassment, - where the slimeball probably has a good intuition for how far he can usually push the envelope, and which intuition has failed him this time; but he doesn't know about Kristen's close connection to the legal profession.

Nice plot-line Sara.

Xi

father secrets

got to agree Kis should get the job ? when will we see the next chapter.

Anyone know why Sara UK

Anyone know why Sara UK hasn't posted in a while?

Where is Sara UK

Its been a while since Sara UK posted an update to My Fathers Secret, anyone known why. Just read the whole 14 chapters and I'm eager for more!