A Ghost Of A Chance. Book 2. Chapter 17

Printer-friendly version


 © February 2013


Part Seventeen of 17+


Chapter Seventeen: Hello again

    Chloe was expecting her mother to pick her and Chloe up from school at the end of the day, but it was Ashley’s car sat in the parking lot.

     “Hi Aunty Ash...!” Chloe smiled as she got in the back of the car.

     “Hello Ashley.” Stacy said as she got in the other side.

     “Hello Girls, I trust you had a good day at school with no problems?” Ashley asked as she waited for the girls to put their seatbelts on.

     “No trouble at all.” Chloe grinned. “It was a nice normal day.” Chloe added, glad that she hadn’t bumped into Tracy today, or needed any help from Spirit.

     “I hear you managed to con your mother into letting you go out this evening?” Ashley smirked as she pulled out of the parking lot and headed for the exit.

     “I didn’t con her...!” Chloe whined. “I just asked if I could go and visit Danny now he’s awake.” Chloe said in her own defence. “I want to know if he remembers anything from being stuck out of his body, and me putting him back in it.” Chloe added with worry in her voice.

     “What do you plan to do if he does remember anything...?” Ashley asked.

     “Run away again...” Chloe joked.

     “Don’t even joke about that around your mother.” Ashley warned.

     “I doubt anyone would believe him if he did remember anything.” Stacy commented. “I was there and know what happened, and even I find it hard to believe.” She added with a giggle.

    Ashley was soon pulling up in front of Stacy’s house and letting her out of the car. “Where do you think you’re going young lady?” Ashley asked when she saw Chloe getting out of the car.

     “I just want to go and say hello to Shadow, and thank him for stopping me doing anything silly.” Chloe said as she stopped trying to get out of the car.

     “Alright, but make it fast, and don’t tell your mother what I let you do, or we'll both be grounded.” Ashley pulled a face.

    Chloe giggled at the thought of her mother grounding her Aunty Ash, but she wouldn’t put it past her mother to give it a go if she found out what Aunty Ash was letting her do. “Thank you Aunty Ash.” Chloe said as she ran around to the driver’s side of the car and leaned in through the window and gave her aunt a hug and a kiss on the cheek before she ran off to say hello to her horse.

*****

    Shadow was running around in one of the fields when Chloe ran into the courtyard, but he was soon galloping over to the fence when he saw Chloe. Chloe had grabbed a hand full of mints on her way over to the fence.

     “Hello boy...” Chloe said as she hugged Shadows head. “Thank you for stopping me doing something silly last night.” Chloe sighed.

    Shadow let out a huff and was quickly looking for mints in Chloe’s hands, which he found and started munching on them. He soon finished the mints and then he made his way over to the gate expecting Chloe to let him out of the field so she could go for a ride on him.

     “I’m sorry, but I’ve been grounded, and mother won’t let me come and ride you.” Chloe said with pain in her voice. “I shouldn’t even be here seeing you now.” Chloe added in a whisper, not that there was anyone around to overhear her.

    Shadow didn’t seem very happy about not being able to go for a ride, but he seemed happy that Chloe had come to see him anyway, and he enjoyed some more mints until Chloe thought she better get going before Ashley came looking for her.

     “I’ll come and say hello in the morning, and I’ll sneak you an apple.” Chloe promised as she stroked the side of Shadow’s face. Shadow seemed excited now he’d been promised an apple. “I’ll see you in the morning.” Chloe sighed just before she turned and ran back to her aunt’s car.

    Stacy had gone with Chloe, but she had gone to see her horse in the other field, but she ran to catch up with Chloe to say goodbye to Ashley, and then she would go into the house to get changed and then get her homework done.

     “I’ll see you about quarter to six.” Chloe said just before she got back in her aunt’s car.

     “Okay, until later girlfriend...!” Stacy grinned as she threw her arms around Chloe and hugged her.

    Chloe smiled as she enjoyed the hug, and the fact Stacy was her best friend, and treated her like a girl. “Later girlfriend.” Chloe giggled. Chloe was soon sat in the front of her aunt’s car this time, and Ashley drove them home.

     “Was Shadow pleased to see you?” Ashley asked.

     “Yes, but he didn’t seem happy about me being grounded though.” Chloe frowned.

     “I think you were lucky to just get a week’s worth of groundings for what you did.” Ashley said, not sounding sorry for Chloe.

     “I’m sorry I lied and upset you Aunty Ash.” Chloe said.

     “I’m not bothered about any of that.” Ashley said as she waved of Chloe’s worries. “It’s the fact you ran away rather than facing your problems that upset your mother.” Ashley added with a sigh. “I doubt she would have even bothered grounding you if you hadn’t tried to run away.”

     “But she said that I’d be grounded for a week if I lied to her again.” Chloe whined.

     “What your mother says, and what she does are two very different things.” Ashley pointed out. “I think the most you would have gotten if you hadn’t run away, would have been a couple of days.”

     “Now you tell me.” Chloe groaned.

     “You were the one that chose to run away.” Ashley made it sound like it was all Chloe’s fault, which it was.

    Ashley pulled into the driveway at the house before Chloe had time to say anymore, so they got out the car and made their way into the house and Chloe went up to her room to get her homework done before she had to leave with Valarie, so they could pick Stacy up, and then Finlay and Paul.

*****

    Chloe was half way through her homework when she felt Spirit in the room. So she turned in her seat to find Spirit lying on the bed with the two kittens pouncing on her.

     “Hi sis.” Chloe said with a sad sounding sigh.

     “Hey sis.” Spirit giggled as she played with the two excited kittens. The two kittens had tried playing with Chloe, but she was too busy with her homework to play with them, so the two kittens had jumped up on the bed and curled up until Spirit appeared. “You still bummed out about being grounded?” Spirit asked.

     “A little, but Aunty Ash said that mother probably would have just grounded me for a day or two if I hadn’t tried to run away.” Chloe moaned like it was partly Spirit’s fault she’d been grounded for a week.

     “She’s probably right, mum never used to carry out her threats, and when she did it was never for as long as she first said.” Spirit shrugged. “But then again, I never tried running away from home.” Spirit pointed out.

     “Do you think she might let me off after a couple of days then?” Chloe sounded hopeful that she might get to ride Shadow before the week was up.

     “I wouldn’t count on it.” Spirit warned. “You’re lucky she’s just grounded you for a week as it is.”

     “I’m going to see Danny tonight.” Chloe said as she tried to change the subject to something that didn’t involve her punishment. “Are you sure he won’t remember me from before I helped him back into his body?” Chloe sounded nervous.

     “Yes I’m sure.” Spirit promised. “Anything that he does remember will seem like a dream, and how often do you remember a dream after you’ve woken up?” Spirit asked.

     “I remember mine pretty well.” Chloe replied sounding even more nervous.

     “Well you’re not like other people, but Danny will just think he’s seen you before someplace, that’s if he remembers you at all. Now stop worrying, and get on with your homework.” Spirit said in a bossy tone.

     “Slave driver...” Chloe grumbled as she stuck her tongue out at Spirit.

     “Yes I am.” Spirit sounded proud of the fact Chloe had just called her a slave driver.

    Chloe finished off her homework and put all her books away before she went to get cleaned up and dressed in something nice for Finlay.

     “You’ve really taken to this whole being a girl thing haven’t you?” Spirit smiled as she watched Chloe holding up dresses to her body while she looked in the mirror.

     “I think I have you to thank for most of it. I find myself doing things without realising it most the time.” Chloe said as she stopped to think about some of the things she just did as a matter of cause.

     “The girl was always there, my memories are just helping you to realise that.” Spirit said as she got up off the bed and walked over to look at Chloe in the mirror. “I think that dress is really you.” Spirit smiled as she looked at Chloe holding up a cute pale pink dress with little kittens all over it. Chloe agreed with Spirit so she went into her bathroom to get changed.

    Once Chloe was dressed, she finished off the look with her pink hoody, and then she grabbed her little backpack style purse and left her bedroom, but not before getting the okay from Spirit.

     “How do I look sis?” Chloe asked as she did a spin.

     “You look like a cute girl ready for a hot date.” Spirit grinned.

     “I’m not going out on a date...!” Chloe argued. “I just like to look my best.” Chloe added as she looked in the mirror one last time.

     “For your boyfriend...” Spirit teased. Chloe just stuck her tongue out before she spun around and left the bedroom. “Say hello to Danny for me...!” Spirit shouted to Chloe’s back as she left the room.

     “Yes, like that’s going to happen...!” Chloe shouted back.

    Chloe found her mother in the kitchen talking to Ashley, Chloe thought they must have been talking about her because they stopped talking when Chloe entered the room.

     “Are you ready to leave sweetie?” Valarie asked as she walked over and pulled a nervous looking Chloe into a hug. “You look very pretty by the way.” Valarie added as she stepped back and looked Chloe up and down.

     “Thank you mummy, and yes I’m ready to leave when you are.” Chloe smiled.

     “I’ll see you later.” Valarie said as she stepped over and gave Ashley a hug and a cheek kiss.

     “I’m going out with David, so I’m not sure when I’ll be home.” Ashley grinned.

     “I want you home by ten.” Valarie said in a stern tone. “It’s a school night.” Valarie added with a smirk.

     “Yes mother...” Ashley said it like a whiny teenager, just before she started laughing.

     “Have fun.” Valarie said as she hugged Ashley again.

     “I plan too.” Ashley grinned.

     “Let’s get going before she starts giving us details.” Valarie said with a worried look as she pushed Chloe towards the door to the hallway.

     “See you later Aunty Ash...!” Chloe shouted over her shoulder as her mother guided her towards the front door.

     “I think it will be morning before you see your aunty again.” Valarie informed Chloe. “Don’t ask me anymore about it.” Valarie added when she saw that Chloe was about to ask her something she wasn’t ready to talk about with someone of Chloe’s age.

*****

     “Mummy...?” Chloe said after they had been driving for several minutes without either of them saying anything.

     “Yes sweetie?” Valarie smiled at Chloe.

     “Aunty Ash was saying that you were only going to ground me for a couple of days before I ran away, is that true?”

     “I was actually going to let you off with a stern telling off.” Valarie shrugged. “But I can’t let you think that I’m alright with you running away every time you have a problem.”

     “I’m sorry...” Chloe said with a sigh as she looked down at her lap in shame. “I just got myself convinced that you were going to ask me to leave.” Chloe admitted.

     “You do realise just how silly that sounds don’t you?” Valarie asked with a frown.

     “I do now I’m thinking more clearly.” Chloe giggled.

     “What have you told Fin and Paul about your grounding?” Valarie did want their stories to sound different once she had picked the two boys up.

     “I told them you grounded me for not cleaning my bedroom, just like you told me, and Stace added that I sneaked out to ride Shadow without doing the dishes.”

     “Good, that sounds believable, and they don’t need to know that you were grounded for trying to run away.” Valarie frowned again. “That would raise far too many questions.” Valarie added.

    Valarie was soon pulling up outside Stacy’s house and the two of them got out the car and walked up to the front door. Valarie rang the bell and then waited for someone to answer it. The door opened and they found Dorothy stood there smiling at them.

     “Hello Dorothy. It’s nice to see you looking more awake.” Valarie laughed.

     “Hello Val. Yes it is a more suitable hour to be calling.” Dorothy chuckled. “Hello Chloe. I hope you’re over your silly little antics now?” Dorothy asked as she looked down at Chloe stood next to Valarie.

     “Yes, and I’m sorry for all the trouble last night Mrs Williams.” Chloe said, still feeling shame for all the trouble she’d caused.

     “I’m just glad you’re safe sweetie.” Dorothy was stopped from saying anything else because Stacy burst past her and started dragging Chloe back towards Valarie’s car.

     “I’ll see you later mum...!” Stacy shouted back over her shoulder.

     “Have fun...!” Dorothy shouted back.

     “What’s your rush Stace?” Chloe asked as Stacy pushed Chloe into the car and then ran around to the other side and got in herself.

     “I thought I’d save you another stern talking to from my mother.” Stacy started too explained. “I could tell she was building up to another talk about your running away from your problems.” Stacy added with a roll of her eyes like she’d had to listen to far too many of her mother’s lectures on other subjects.

     “Thanks for that then.” Chloe smiled, she was glad she had a friend like Stacy.

    Valarie got back in the car after she’d had a conversation with Dorothy about something. Chloe and Stacy thought it was probably something to do with what happened the night before, so they didn’t ask any questions about it, just in case it set Valarie off on anther lecture of her own.

*****

    Finlay and Paul were stood waiting outside their dorm building when Valarie got there, so Stacy slid into the middle of the back seat so Paul and Finlay could sit either side of her. Chloe was in the front, but she looked over her shoulder and smiled at Finlay.

     “Hi Fin, Paul.” Chloe said to the boys.

     “Hi Chloe, Stacy, and thank you for the lift over to the hospital Mrs A.” Finlay grinned at Valarie.

     “I’m here more to keep an eye on this one, but I’m glad I could help.” Valarie smiled as she gave Chloe a poke with her finger. Valarie couldn’t see the point of telling Finlay that she was actually a Miss A.

     “I was quite shocked when I found out Chloe had been grounded for not cleaning her room and helping with the dishes.” Finlay said sounding ashamed of Chloe, and trying to suck up to Chloe’s mother.

    Finlay was smirking at Chloe when she looked over the seat at him, but he soon looked worried when he saw that Chloe wasn’t seeing the funny side of being grounded.

     “I’m sure that you and Paul have a messy room as well.” Valarie said as she looked at the two boys in the rear view mirror.

     “Paul and I are very tidy actually.” Finlay replied.

    Chloe was shocked that Finlay could say that with a straight face, and even Paul looked a little shocked at what Finlay was saying, judging by the open mouthed look he was giving Finlay.

    Valarie gave Finlay a look that said she didn’t believe him, and then she pulled away from the curb and headed out of the school grounds and towards the hospital where Danny Blakeley was. Finlay was soon talking to Valarie about her writing, something that made Chloe happy, because it meant they weren’t talking about her.

*****

    Chloe felt more nervous this time than she did the first time she came to see Danny. Chloe was worried that Danny might remember everything from his time wandering around while he was out of his body.

     “Everything alright Chloe...?” Finlay asked when they got to Danny’s hospital room and Chloe pulled Danny to a stop as she looked at the closed door.

     “I’m fine...” Chloe lied. “I’m just a little nervous about meeting your friend now he’s awake.” Chloe added lamely.

     “Danny’s eager to meet you, the daughter of his favourite writer.” Finlay grinned. “He’s going to freak when he sees that your mum has come with you.” Finlay added as he looked up at Chloe’s mum stood behind them.

     “Let’s not hurt his feelings then, and tell him that I’m just here to keep an eye on this one.” Valarie whispered as she placed her hands on Chloe’s shoulders.

    Chloe wanted to groan at the fact Valarie was acting more like a prison warden keeping an eye on her prisoner, than playing her mother, but Chloe could understand that Valarie was just worried about losing her, and the trying to run away wasn’t helping to prove that Valarie could trust her to do otherwise. Chloe took a deep breath and then let Finlay drag her into the room.

     “Hey Danny...!” Finlay shouted on entering the room.

    Hi Fin...!” Chloe heard a familiar voice shout back. Chloe soon got to see where the voice had come from when Finlay pulled her into view of Danny, but he wasn’t lying in the bed this time, he was now sat up and smiling, even if he did look very ill still, Chloe could still see the same boy she’d helped.

     “You must be Chloe...?” Danny asked as he looked at Chloe with a puzzled look. “Have we met before? I have a weird feeling that I’ve seen you someplace.” Danny asked.

     “You might have seen her at one of her mother’s book signings you went to.” Finlay said as he jumped to Chloe’s defence without even realising he was doing so. Chloe’s mind had gone blank in her panic that Danny was about to tell Finlay and Paul about her secrets.

     “That must be it.” Danny grinned.

     “I did meet you on Saturday, but you were asleep then.” Chloe smiled. “It’s nice to meet you now you’re awake though.” Chloe added as she gave Danny a little wave.

     “Sorry about that.” Danny laughed nervously as he scratched his head.

     “I’ve bought my mum to meet you.” Chloe said as she looked over her shoulder to where her mother was just entering the room behind Paul and Stacy.

     “Valarie Ashcroft is in my hospital room...!” Danny shouted excitedly as he tried to straighten out his hair and make sure he was covered at the same time. “I’m your biggest fan Mrs Ashcroft.” Danny added as he tried to swing his feet out of bed so he could stand up to great her properly.

     “Hello Danny.” Valarie smiled. “Please don’t try and get out of bed.” She added as she stepped over to the bed and pushed Danny back down into the bed just before she covered him up again.

     “It was worth falling off that wall, just to get this chance.” Danny grinned as he watched Valarie tuck him back into bed again.

     “Chloe’s now at our school, so you would have gotten the chance to meet her anyway, dumbass.” Finlay pointed out.

     “Hey Danny.” Paul said before Danny could call Finlay anything. “You remember Stacy.” He added as he smiled at Stacy while holding her hand.

     “Hello Danny, it’s nice to see you awake again.” Stacy sounded nervous as she said it.

     “Hi Stace.” Danny smiled. “I’m glad you’ve finally come out of your shell and stopped letting what Tracy did, bother you.” Danny added.

     “I’ve found a far better best friend than Tracy ever was.” Stacy grinned as she looked at Chloe.

     “I’ve been hearing that Chloe’s been making quite the impression since she started at the school.” Danny grinned.

     “What have you heard?” Chloe asked nervously. She was worried people might be talking about her in a bad way, or someone had seen her talking to ghosts.

     “Don’t worry Chloe; it’s all been good so far.” Danny smirked as he looked at Finlay.

    Chloe relaxed when she realised that Danny was just referring to the fact her and Finlay were an item. “You can’t believe everything you hear.” Chloe giggled as she stepped a little closer to Finlay and he put his arm around her while smiling down at her.

     “I’m looking forward to getting to know you a lot better when I return to school.” Danny sounded eager to get out of the hospital.

     “Do you know when that might be?” Chloe asked.

     “Not yet, the Doc’s are still running tests on me.” Danny groaned.

    Chloe knew how Danny felt, from the time she was in the hospital, or James was, after the trouble with James stepfather, but James had been saved from death by Spirit, and she had returned the favour by saving Valarie and becoming the new Chloe.

     “I’m sure you’ll be back on your feet in no time.” Chloe said, trying to cheer Danny up a little. “You can dish all the dirt on these two then.” Chloe giggled as she poked Finlay in the side with her elbow.

     “There’s no dirt to dish.” Finlay said with a proud look on his face. Finlay soon lost the proud look though when Danny made a noise that sounded like a cross between a laugh and a snort.

     “I think someone is lying.” Chloe grinned.

    Danny was just about to speak when Finlay cut him off. “Miss Ashcroft has offered to give me some writing tips.”

     “You jammy git...!” Danny said sounding jealous.

     “I’m happy to give you both some advice, and I’ve been asked to come to the school and do a questions and answers session for anyone interested.” Valarie explained.

     “I hope I’m back at school before then.” Danny whined as he thought he might miss out on it.

     “I’ll leave doing it until you’re back at school.” Valarie promised.

     “Cool...!” Danny grinned.

    Danny spent a little time grilling Chloe about her thoughts on the school, but he was soon asking Valarie questions about her books, Chloe was glad about that, and the fact he didn’t seem to remember anything from his out of body experience.

    Chloe thought Danny to be nice, and quite funny, he didn’t seem to let the fact he was in a hospital bother his mood, but he did look a little sad when it was time for them to leave.

     “It was nice meeting you Chloe.” Danny smiled as they were getting ready to leave. “I hope Fin can drag you along with him again at some point.”

     “Do you really want to see me again, or are you hoping my mother will bring me, if I do come again?” Chloe asked with a grin. She’d seen how excited Danny had been to be able to talk to her mother about her writing.

     “I’d like to see both of you again.” Danny grinned at his own quick answer.

     “I’d be more than happy to bring Chloe and the others to see you again Danny, but I also hope that you won’t be in this place for very much longer, and then they can all come and see you at your home.” Valarie smiled as she stepped over to Danny in his hospital bed and leaned down to kiss him on the forehead. “It was a pleasure to meet you Danny.” Danny just lay there grinning like an idiot while he blushed.

    They all said their goodbyes to Danny before making their way back to the car park where Valarie had parked her car.

    Even though this was Chloe’s first day of being grounded, she was still feeling a little sad because she knew that her mother would be dropping Finlay, Stacy and Paul off, and then she would be driven home where she would be confined to the house until she went to school the next day. Chloe’s mood soon picked up when she watched her mother pull into the car park of a restaurant.

     “What are you doing mum...?” Chloe asked, but already hoped she knew the answer.

     “I’m treating you all to dinner.” Valarie smiled as she removed her seatbelt and grabbed her purse before getting out the car.

     “I better call my mum and tell her that I’m eating out tonight.” Stacy said as she pulled her phone out her pocket.

     “No need for that Stacy.” Valarie said as she stopped Stacy using her phone by placing her own hand over the screen. “I talked to your mother when I picked you up earlier, and I told her that I would be treating you all to dinner this evening.” Valarie explained.

     “Thank you.” Stacy grinned as she realised she’d get to spend more time with Paul.

    Chloe was grinning as well, because she would get to spend more time with Finlay, and less time at home feeling like a prisoner, not that her mother was enforcing her grounding very strongly at all.

    Valarie led them all into the restaurant and a waitress showed them to a large enough table to seat them all. The waitress then took their drink orders before leaving them to look through the menu and decide what they wanted to eat.

    The four children ordered burgers and fries, while Valarie ordered a grilled chicken salad for herself. This didn’t stop her stealing the odd fry off Chloe’s plate though.

    Chloe wasn’t too bothered about it, but she playfully slapped her mother’s hand away as they laughed. Chloe found herself thinking just how cool a parent Valarie was, and how lucky she was to have a mother like Valarie. Chloe did feel a little more guilt over trying to run away now her mother was acting like such a cool parent in front of her friends.

    Valarie let them all order an ice cream sundae after they had finished their dinner, and Chloe was happy to share hers with her mother, mainly because Chloe knew she wouldn’t be able to eat a full one all to herself.

    The four children were all groaning they had eaten way too much once they were back in the car, but they all thanked Valarie for the meal. Finlay and Paul had tried to give Valarie some money towards it, but Valarie wouldn’t hear of it and said it was her treat.

    Valarie soon had the boys back at their dorm building, but only after going through a security check at the main gate. Jennifer wasn’t taking any chances with reporters getting into the school still.

     “Thanks for the lift over to see Danny, and for dinner Mrs A.” Finlay grinned once he was out the car.

     “Yes, thanks for a great evening Mrs A.” Paul added, using the same nickname as Finlay had given Valarie.

     “You’re both welcome boys...!” Valarie smiled at her new nickname Finlay and Paul had given her.

     “I’ll see you tomorrow at school Chloe.” Finlay smiled as he took hold of Chloe’s hand through the open window of the car. Chloe could see that Finlay wanted to kiss her, but wasn’t going to risk it with Valarie sat right next to her.

     “Okay, I’ll see you in the morning.” Chloe smiled back as she gave his hand a squeeze.

    Paul had an advantage because Stacy was in the back of the car and sat on Valarie’s side, so he was able to lean in through the window and give Stacy a little kiss. Stacy was blushing and grinning like a fool when Paul stepped back from the car.

     “I’ll see you tomorrow Stace.” Paul grinned back at her.

     “Bye Paul.” Stacey grinned back as she gave him a little wave.

    Valarie was soon back on the road and heading towards Stacy’s house. She pulling up outside where she waited for Chloe and Stacy to say their goodbyes. Valarie then waited for Stacy to enter her house after Tom; Stacy’s father had opened the door to let her in. Tom gave Valarie and Chloe a wave as Valarie drove away.

     “Thank you for taking me and the others to see Danny, and for the dinner and desert.” Chloe smiled up at her mother as Valarie drove them back to the house.

     “You’re welcome sweetie, and I hope we won’t have any more foolish ideas about running away.” Valarie frowned.

     “I won’t mummy.” Chloe blushed as she felt even more foolish for trying to run away the night before. “Does this mean I’m not really grounded...?” Chloe asked looking hopeful that her mother might let her off. This was soon dashed with what Valarie said next.

     “Oh no, you are still grounded, but I’m not a monster.” Valarie added the last part with a smile. “I need to teach you a lesson, or I’d be a bad parent, and you never should have felt the need to run away rather than talking to me about anything in the first place.”

     “I know mummy, and I’m sorry.” Chloe snuffled as she fought back the tears she wanted to shed. Valarie had shown Chloe what a great mum she was tonight, and this had made Chloe realise more than ever just how foolish she had been to try running away.

     “Hey...! Don’t cry sweetie, I’m not angry with you anymore.” Valarie said as she pulled into the driveway back at the house. “I was hoping the dinner this evening would show you that.” Valarie added as she pulled Chloe into a hug with her. “I also thought it would give you a little more time with Finlay as well.”

     “I’m just upset with myself for being such an idiot.” Chloe mumbled, due to her head being buried in Valarie’s chest.

     “You’re a teenage girl; it’s your right to be an idiot once in a while.” Valarie laughed. “It gives us parents a chance to ground you and keep you close to home where we know you’re safe.” Valarie added as she hugged Chloe even tighter.

    Chloe let out a happy sigh as she enjoyed the hug she was getting from her mother, happy that she had been so wrong about her.

    The two of them made their way into the house. The house was empty, so the two of them went up to their rooms to get changed into their night clothes before returning back down stairs where Valarie made them both a hot chocolate before cuddling up together in front of the TV to watch a movie.

    Chloe thought she could make it through her grounding with ease if every night was going to be like this. Due to the late night the night before, and the busy day she’d had today, Chloe didn’t see much of the film before she was fast asleep cuddled up to her mother.

    Valarie smiled as she looked down at her sleeping daughter with her head on her lap. Valarie softly stroked Chloe’s hair as she wondered how such a sweet little thing survived living rough on the streets. Valarie was happy to let Chloe sleep like she was, while she carried on watching the movie.

    Once the movie had ended, Valarie managed to pick Chloe up in her arms without waking her, and she carried the sleeping child up to her room where she smiled when she saw Spirit stood at the side of the bed having already pulled the covers down so Valarie could place Chloe straight in.

     “Thank you sweetie.” Valarie whispered to Spirit once Chloe was tucked up in bed. Valarie wrapped an arm around Spirit and walked her from the room and down the stairs.

     “Is everything alright mummy?” Spirit asked, sensing that something was troubling her mother.

     “Nothing really, I just haven’t seen much of you this past week, and I was worried you would vanish again before I got a chance to get a hug from you.” Valarie pouted as she turned to face Spirit before pulling her into a hug. “I still miss you sweetie.” Valarie sighed.

     “You have the new Chloe now,” Spirit smiled as she looked up to the ceiling in the direction of Chloe’s bedroom.

     “Call me greedy, but I wish I had you both.” Valarie sighed as she held Spirit at arm’s length. “I always hoped to give you a baby sister or brother one day.” Valarie admitted.

     “Play your cards right with the good doctor and you still might.” Spirit said with a grin. “It will have to be a baby sister though, not sure Chloe could cope with a baby brother tormenting her.” Spirit added with a giggle.

     “Spirit...! You’re far too young to be talking about such things.” Valarie said as she slapped Spirit on the arm. Valarie was soon pulling her close again as she led the way into the living room so the two of them could sit together.

    Sitting on the sofa cuddled up to her mother reminded Spirit of when she was alive, but she knew that was all in the past, and her mother was now mother to the new Chloe. Spirit was just glad Chloe was able to save her mother’s life, and give the new Chloe a chance at a life as the girl she was meant to be from birth.

     “I’m sorry mother, but I need to go and help Chloe, she’s having a nightmare.” Spirit said after she’d been cuddled up to Valarie for some time.

     “You can tell when Chloe is having bad dreams?” Valarie looked shocked to find this out.

     “Chloe and I are linked in a way I could never make you understand.” Spirit smiled. “That is why I know she could never run away without me being able to find her.

     “Do you know what she’s having nightmares about?” Valarie asked with worry in her voice.

     “About her running away, and the times when she was living rough on the streets before.” Spirit said after closing her eyes and focusing on Chloe’s dreams.

     “You better go and help her then; she’s lost enough sleep for one week.” Valarie said as she gave Spirit a quick hug before letting her go again.

    Spirit was soon up in Chloe’s room and she placed a hand on Chloe’s head to stop Chloe tossing and turning. Chloe stopped moaning almost right away and relaxed into a deep sleep as Spirit gave her happier dreams of her riding Shadow and laughing with her friends. Spirit slipped into the bed so she could focus more clearly on making sure Chloe didn’t have any more bad dreams that night.

    Valarie looking in on Chloe a little later when she made her own way up to bed, and she smiled when she saw both her girls sleeping. She kissed them both on the forehead after she tucked them both in a little better, and then she made her way to her own bedroom.

*****

 

To Be Continued Next Tuesday  GRIN

 

Story by SaraUK

 

Edited and Posted by SamanthaK

    EDITORS NOTE: Please Comment and/or leave Kudos and let Sara know you like her work please, Any comments on spelling, grammar or the layout of the story please PM me “Samanthak” not Sara. Thank you

up
152 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Still wonder if Danny will

remember anything about his coma time and meeting Chloe or Spirit. Could he now be gifted to see Spoirit and other ghosts like Chloe? Will Shadow goo wild without Chloe being there during her grounding?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Thank you for aother chapter

I suspect Danny and Chloe now have a link but I wonder to what extent.

Kim

just caught up

revolution's picture

Just caught up with this story and I must say it is another excellent piece! Can't wait to read the next chapter.