The Group, A Tale of Talespinners

Printer-friendly version

She took it and opened it up, peering in at the picture of Mama that always smiled at me from inside it. Once again, just like every time I set eyes on that tiny image of her, I wished that I'd've had the courage to really know Mama. Granny poked at it, muttered under her breath, snorted once or twice as she cussed at it, then snapped it shut and handed it back.

The Group, A Tale of Talespinners
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Copyright October 2007

My entry for the, "What It Was, Was Magic!" contest on Stardust.

I hope you all enjoy it, it was fun to write and think about the old folks back where I grew up, talking and rocking on their porches. Just barely over 2000 words, this one.
 

 
Big city. Out in the country. Old neighborhood. New development. It don't matter none where you've lived in your life, really. Chances are, we all can recognize the Group. There's one of 'em in every area. I'm talking about the small group of older folks that have been friends for about as long as they've been alive, that everyone around knows all of 'em and they know everyone — and near everything about all of everyone what knows 'em. They sits around somewhere, usually at a deli, or a library, or an old store with decent sitting spots out front. They sit themselves there and they'll talk about just about anything and everything. They'll tell the same stories, the same ol' way, dozens of times to anyone'll listen, and act like it's the first time any of 'em have laid ears on the tale. Shoot, they'll even get all confusticated 'bout whose story is whose, and argue about it. But it don't matter none. They're gonna be friends until they's all meetin' up in front of the Gates with some seats and a checkerboard, annoying ol' Saint Peter and keeping him from his business. But, every incarnation of the Group 'ventually finds its way to three topics, every time they meet up, while their rockers or whatever seats they have are creakin' away in the quiet parts between their jawin'. The weather. Heck, everyone is guilty of that one, now and again. Politics. That is, they'll sit around and see which of them can come up with the most 'maginative complainings 'bout whoever is in charge for now. And local high school sports talking. Now, it don't mean diddly whether the members of the Group are men or women or both. Sometimes, they've even got an audience, and that just encourages the rumination and gets them all to filibusterin' what would put even the most experienced Senator-types to shame. I'm from a not-so-huge town. Alright, I'm from a piddle of a town down middle of the Ozark Mountains. So, as you prob'ly figure, we had us a good set of the Group. Six of 'em. Rodney, Yancy, Stumpy, Laverne, Esne, and Coetta were the old codgers and biddys. Now, I wasn't there for it, but I heard tell of a session took place while I was a senior in high school...

 ® "Any of y'all remember the basketball finals from three years ago, or am I the only one of us ain't touched in the head?"

 © "What kinda finals you meanin'? I didn't think they been further'n Sectionals until this year since way back 'fore any of us were more'n a spit."

 ¥ "No, you idjit woman. Not the boys. Just 'cause your grandson is the high-fallutin' star of the show these days don't mean the boys are the only ones what can do a good job. Some them girls are mighty fierce on the court."

 £ "Oh, yeah... that was the one where we come back from thirty points behind, right?"

 § "Thirty-seven points, actually! I was still followin' the radio commentary from when I just retired from it. What the heck happened there, anyways? Wished I'd've seen it."

 ¥ "What it was, was Magic!"

ᆠ"You old fool, if you don't pipe down, someone's like to think your oatmeal's gone off again. I was there, and it didn't look like no hocus-pocus to me. Our girls needed a kick in the pants, and they got it. Shoot, the girl that showed up halfway through third quarter is what saved us. She had a spark about her, somethin' special in her eyes, a certain... panache. Yeah, panache is a good three-dollar word. She had a panache to her, showed them spoiled little babies what a good leader can do for a team. Won with the last basket that was put in the bucket at the buzzer."

 § "We've had an awful lot of them 'favorable upsets' in the past few years, ain't we? I had to go and retire and miss all the fun."

 © "They've been in a lot of the girls' teams, lately, now that you mention it."

 ® "Yeah, like that volleyball tournament last year. My granddaughter was playin' in it. That was just plain odd. We was seeded last, and then we go and win every match we play, and it's all thanks to one girl makin' all the saves, havin' the great serve... Was that the same girl as in the basketball finals couple year 'fore that?"

 £ "Rumormill said that girl weren't even on the team roster."

 ¥ "I heared me somethin' about that, I think. What happened with that, she get in trouble or disqualified? What was that?"

 ® "What it was, was Magic!"

ᆠ"Oh good grief, you old men go gray and just lose your senses? Would they've let her play if'n she weren't s'posed to be there? They's just got 'em a girl with some skills to back up the brags they been makin' for years. I dunno if she was the same as the basketball girl, but if she was, why would it be so surprising to be good in one sport when you was good at another one?"

 © "Maybe that girl is why our girls're doin' so well these days. They got themselves a ringer. Should we maybe be gettin' the school board to give 'er an award of some kind or somethin'? No. She's just doin' her duty by her school. What else's she done for us, anyways?

 ¥ "How's about the big golf game over t'Midland Fields Course couple years back. Could that be her, too?"

 ® "Wasn't that a boys' golf tourney?"

 £ "I know what he means. Yep, it was the boys on the team, but golf's one of them co-educational sports. Most girls just ain't all-fired interested. Was a girl what hauled their keisters outta the fire. Most amazing round of golf I've ever seen, and my husband (rest his soul) was out on the links every durn weekend, May to September!"

 § "What it was, was Magic!"

ᆠ"Tarnation. You boys are sure hung up on that. What, she use her broomstick as a putter? You all sayin' that was the same girl again? I wasn't there for that game, golf course is no place for my rheumatism. Way I heared it, though, the li'l gal swinging iron that day had the power of Babe Ruth and the precision of a surgeon. Like that pro guy, whatzisname. Leopard Forest."

 © "Well, I just know it was her in the soccer game 'gainst Central."

 § "Didn't we lose that one?"

 © "Not that one, t'other one."

 ¥ "Oh, you mean that one three years ago? First time we beat Central in over 20 years. Not that you'd've knowed it from the past few seasons. Shoot. We whoop up on 'em every time, now."

 © "I says that was the same durn girl! 'Nother one'a them sports where the boys and girls play together, but ev'body knows it same as I do, that girl is the one that won it!"

 £ "What it was, was Magic!"

ᆠ"Don't you start encouragin' the menfolk, you old bat. You'd think the old farts were wantin' t'be in a faery story, what with the way they're a'lettin' on. So, since you all seem to be in agreement. Tell me more about this mysterious magic girl, then."

 £ "Well, she's gotta be a runner type, too... did the four hundred meter dash at the state track meet — and didn't she do the triple jump? Well, she did the 300 meter high hurdles as the only girl even competin' there, and the long jump, too. Won everything she was in, I know that."

 ® "Now't you mention, I think I sawed her at the big cross country meet a couple months ago when I went to see my girl's twins run. The same girl beat everyone there. Everyone. Even the boys with their too long to be natural legs. Kids these days are so dadgummed lanky and just long every which way."

 ¥ "Was she the place kicker what won the Conference Game for the football team last year?"

 © "I think you might be right. Couldn't find pads to fit her, so she risked it out on the field in just the uniform and helmet, then ran like the dickens after she kicked so they wouldn't spread her on the field like jam on toast."

 § "I seem to recollect that she was the one that took on all the other schools in Quiz Bowl this year single handed after we weren't able to field a team with any smarts worth a plug nickel. Single handed, I tell you. Won the whole kit and kaboodle like it weren't no more'n a mild pop quiz. Didn't blink. Yep. She's the one what made the other schools sit up and take notice that we weren't slackers in smarts or sports anymore. That li'l girl seems to be as smart as she is good at the sports."

 ® "The girl's downright amazing, alright. Too bad none of us knowed who she is, though. Hmph. Anyone all that mysterious and secretive, why I just don't trust 'em."

 £ "Aw, she's just not wantin' credit, I says. It's a series of selfless acts of school spirit. All of it, the past few years... she's gotta be a senior now, this'd be the fourth year. Whoever she is, I'd like to thank 'er for giving back the pride to the school and town. Don't rightly know what to make of all that she was..."

 © "What it was, was Magic!"

ᆠ"You five can make up stories about witches and giants and faeries all you want. Such nonsense. Pfeh! Magic, indeed. I'm going home, you lot keep entertainin' yourselves.

Yep. That's how I heard it happened. Must've given the listeners quite a chuckle to see the 'Pillars of the Community' talking about magic to explain sports, of all things. Heh. My granny Esne weren't as amused by it as I was, though...

She came thumpin' in the back door, already a bellowin' fit t'be tied.

"Jack! Boy, get your lazy — oh, hullo Jill," she yells as she came in, though that last bit — the greetin' to me — was at a much more, ah, genteel volume.

"What's up granny Esne?" I asked, not yet havin' a clue as to what she was all fusticated and bothered by.

"Lemme see your locket a minute, girl," she demanded with her hand held out.

"But granny Esne," I protested as my left hand protectively closed about my beloved necklace, "Daddy's fixin' to be home any minute now. You know I don't wanna disobey you, but I don't wanna —"

"Just hurry up, youngun, and I should be done 'fore my daughter's husband makes it here. I hafta check on something important to us all: you, me, and your poor mama what passed on."

Reluctantly, I reached behind my neck and unhitched the li'l catch on my locket chain, and handed it over to granny Esne as I gritted my teeth and waited.

She took it and opened it up, peering in at the picture of Mama that always smiled at me from inside it. Once again, just like every time I set eyes on that tiny image of her, I wished that I'd've had the courage to really know Mama. Granny poked at it, muttered under her breath, snorted once or twice as she cussed at it, then snapped it shut and handed it back.

"Alright, Jack. Put it back on and get changed, then go change into your dress for graduation. I think I fixed the memory changer on it so that folks won't question you showin' up four years ago right after my daughter died. Your Daddy'll still remember you as Jill from when you were still a baby, but the best I can do for the town is make 'em not question Jack disappearin' and Jill showin' up. This'll be easier when you leave for college, 'cause no one'll know you there."

Yep. That's how I heared it.

up
70 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Now that I recall...

Kool Edeyn! I enjoyed the down home favor of this. I'll refrain from going into details to avoid spoilers but that had that bit of rural humor I've always enjoyed. Good stuff!!!
hugs!
grover

I'm glad...

that you enjoyed it! It really was fun to imagine the six old farts sitting in front of the soda fountain (yes, in my hometown, there is STILL an old fashioned soda fountain) rocking in their chairs and shooting the breeze while they played checkers. I didn't base them off of anyone in particular, but anyone in that age group is gonna be pretty close to being a caricature, just by virtue of growing up in the area with the belief systems that were in place that many years ago.
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? Wait, no, that was God. Sorry, common mistake...

Poor old codger...

laika's picture

He just KNOWED it was magic, and instead he got his whatchacall compis mentis called inta question!
Don't that just beat all?! (I could see how maybe when somebody is half-senile, the "forgettin' magic"
don't stick so good, so they're callin' it like it really is and gettin' told they got rocks in their head!).
Charming lil' story Edeyn, n' tho' I never heard no one talkin' thisaway outside o' some picture show,
(which probably explains how bad I am at it...) it got me t' feelin' right as rain and ready
to wrassle a whole passel o' pole cats!
~~~Laika

Oh, I heared it...

Shoot like as t'be aimin' for the moon. I heared lotsa folks talkin' with a right peculiar vernacular pert near constant like as I was a'growin' up. Those picture shows you fancy schmancy city folk pay your dollar and sit to see are 'bout as accurate as ol' Tom Parker's bowhuntin' tends to be these days. But what I knows, is that they's got theyselves what we calls a 'good idea' and that's all they is to it. Anyone what ain't plumb outta sense can recollect that they's just plain folks round those parts.
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? Wait, no, that was God. Sorry, common mistake...

It is amazing......

how you can write with that kind of vanacular. I have tried on a few different occasions, but damn, it's hard. I'd just embarass myself it I were to even try it.

A.A.

Auditory Learner

I am really focused to sound. This means I can pick up accents and the like really easy, and when I'm writing an accent... I can "hear" it. When we were tested to see which of the three types of "learner" we were in one of my classes, I was the only one that had a cut & dried Auditory result. Lots of Visual and Kinesthetic (learn by doing), but I was the only Auditory. I'm 11% Kinesthetic, 17% Visual, and 72% Auditory.
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? Wait, no, that was God. Sorry, common mistake...