What If?

Printer-friendly version

This story dedicated to Jezzi Belle, whose pursuit of the truth keeps me on my toes. May your fire never dim, sister.

 

Andersonville 27 -- What if?
Written by Kelly Davidson
Edited by Geoff

Copyright 2002

Fade in...

It was way too early for someone to be calling. Somewhere in the darkness of my room I could hear my cell phone ringing. Looking at the clock on my dresser I cursed - it was 3:30 in the morning. Moving my hand in the direction of the annoying sound, I found the phone and turned it on.

"Hello," I said in a curt fashion. I wanted the person to know I wasn't happy about this early morning wake up call.

"Good morning, Linda," Dennis Butz replied crisply. "I'm sorry to call you at such an ungodly hour."

"That's okay," I answered rudely while snuggling up a little more in my nice, warm bed. "I had to get up in 3 hours anyway. What do you want, Dennis?"

"I have some bad news, Linda. Jeff Summers was taken to Peace River last night."

"What?" I responded, suddenly becoming wide-awake. "What happened?"

"Somehow Judge Jasper figured out who Jeff really was. He was at a hockey game with some friends. As they were leaving, Jeff got separated from them and disappeared. After his friends searched the grounds they called me. I made a few inquiries and discovered that Officer Merrick had picked him up.

"What's going to happen to him?"

"I don't know, Linda," he stated sadly. "I imagine Judge Jasper will put him on trial like he did with Judy Hartford (read AV 19). I wish there was something I could do, but as you know my influence in Peace River is limited. I wanted you to hear the bad news from me first."

"I appreciate that, Dennis." I sat on the edge of my bed and ran one hand through my long, brown hair. The thought of Jeff going through a trial was too much to bear. It would kill him, just like it had killed Judy. I had to do something. "Dennis, I need you to get me to Peace River as soon as possible."

"Linda," he warned. "Judge Jasper kicked you out of his town. He won't be very happy seeing you show up there out of the blue."

"I'll think he'll get over his anger once he finds out what I have to offer in exchange for Jeff's freedom."

"And what would that be?"

A bad taste developed in my mouth. "Information."

"Information? What kind of information?"

"That's not important right now."

"Yes it is," Dennis stated firmly. "I don't know what you have planned, but it sounds risky."

"Look, will you help me or not?" I snapped, and then added softly, "Please Dennis, I have to try."

There was a moment of silence as the director thought about it. "I'll have a plane ready for you in one hour, Linda. I hope you know what you're doing."

"Thanks Dennis." I hung up the phone and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. Did I really want to go through with this? What if Jupiter wasn't interested? No, that was a crazy thought. Of course he would want what I had to offer. It was just a matter of presenting it to him in the right manner without losing control of the situation?

Yawning, I rose from my bed and started getting dressed.

Fade out...

***

Voice of Linda Anderson - They say to judge someone; you must first walk a mile in their shoes. When I first came here, I regarded this town as a prison. In many ways that's still true, but only if you look at it superficially. Years later, with the benefit of hindsight, I can now see the town for what it is; a last attempt to bring peace between the Titans, the Olympians, and us, the human race. If the town succeeds, the people imprisoned in Peace River will finally be free and there will be peace. If it fails, the resulting war could end the world, as we know it. There are some on all sides of this conflict who have their own reasons for seeing the project fail.

These are the stories of the men and women who made a difference during those dark days, and shaped history. It's also about those who had to face their deepest, darkest problems and what they gained from conquering them. It's a place of second chances, hope, and peace. The name of this town is Andersonville.

***

Fade in...

It was still dark when the Lear jet landed at the Peace River airport. As soon as it taxied over to the hanger a cop car pulled up, and a tall athletic-looking police officer got out. The door opened, and I stepped off the plane.

"Good morning, Linda," Officer Merrick smiled warmly. "Welcome back."

"Thanks to you!" I snarled slightly at his pleasant greeting. "You have a lot of nerve meeting me here."

"We'll talk in the car," he stated patiently while holding the passenger door opened for me. I got in and waited until we were moving before saying anything.

"Where are we going?"

"To the courthouse," he answered. "Do you need me to stop at the store first?"

"No, I had plenty of coffee on the trip over. What's happening with Jeff?"

"Brian Hennington," Mercury emphasized his Peace River name, "is fine. He's being processed for his trial tomorrow. An announcement about his capture will be made to our people sometime this morning."

"Geez, Mark," I stated with disgust. "Didn't you guys learn anything from Judy's death?"

"A few things," he nodded, but didn't expand on what they were.

"Tell me, Mark. Everything you said about feeling sorry for Judy Hartford, that was just a lie, wasn't it?"

"No, although I can see why you think that. What I did I had to do, Linda. My father told me to bring your friend, our ex-resident, back here. I certainly didn't want to do it."

"Then why didn't you refuse?"

Mark Merrick looked at me with piercing eyes. "My father is not someone you can say 'no' too in such matters." Mercury said it with such firmness and truth that I knew he had no choice in the matter.

"How did you find him?" I asked.

Mercury frowned. "I can't tell you, Linda. But just so you know, it wasn't from Judge Herns. She had no idea who Jeff really was." He stopped talking for a moment then grew even more serious. "There's something else you need to know. My father knows that Tom McClain is really Candy Lane. He hasn't ordered me to pick her up yet, but he will."

"Shit!" I cursed angrily. "Who's the mole, Mark?"

"I told you, I can't tell you who 'she' is," he replied, emphasizing the word 'she'.

I picked up on the hint, and played around with it in my head. The snitch was a female, but that didn't narrow the list down by much. The only thing I knew for certain was that it wasn't Judge Herns.

"Okay, I'll work on that. Is your father in his office or will I have to wait?"

"He's there, with Mr. Marshall and Pete Atkins."

"Oh, for crying out loud, Mer...Mer...Mark," I responded in frustration. "It's just you and me! Why can't we drop this damn charade and use their real names."

"Sorry, but it's our game," he answered thinly. "Can I give you some advice, Linda?"

"What is it?"

"Don't go in there like a loose cannon. Be respectful to my father, and give him his due. Despite what you might think, he can be reasonable when treated with respect. If you must be forceful, do it with tact. You'll get farther with him."

"Anything else?"

"Don't expect him to be happy to see you."

"The feeling's mutual," I replied. We parked in front of the courthouse and went inside. At this time in the morning there had been very little traffic, as the town was just waking up for a new day. However, I wasn't totally surprise to see Ashlee in her office, dressed rather nicely with a warm smile.

"Linda, how are you?" she greeted me with a hug.

"I'm doing well, Ashlee." Our reunion was cut short by the buzzing of her intercom.

"Ashlee, we're waiting," Judge Jasper's harsh voice rang out.

"Yes, Your Honor," she replied politely. Ashlee gave me a 'good luck' smile and led me into his office. Officer Merrick followed and closed the door.

"Have a seat, Miss Anderson," Judge Jasper ordered in an unpleasant tone. He was sitting in the corner with Mr. Marshal, AKA Mars, on his left and Pete Atkins, AKA Apollo on his right. Mars had a tight smile on his lips, as if he had scored a major victory by seeing me here. Apollo was a bit more relaxed, but there was nervousness to his demeanor. I took a seat across from them while Ashlee got the judge some tea. Mercury stood behind me, as if to make sure I didn't try to leave. When Ashlee sat down Judge Jasper started the conversation.

"You were told to leave my town and not come back here," he explained sternly.

"Forgive me, Your Honor. I'm here on behalf of Jeff Summers."

"Who?" he questioned.

"The person you know as Brian Hennington."

"The person who is Brian Hennington," he stated in a gruff manner. "Dennis Butz's serum doesn't change who I turned him into." Jupiter was abrupt, as if trying to draw me into an argument.

"Yes, Your Honor," I swallowed my pride. This wasn't going to be easy. "I'm here to ask for his release." Mars and Jupiter chuckled as if I were joking.

"Release him? Why should I do that? He has a purpose in our town," Jupiter pointed out.

"He has a purpose in Andersonville, Your Honor. He won't be happy here."

"That's not a problem...we can make him happy. Ms. Marshal is very good at that." Again the two chuckled as if they shared an inside joke.

"Jeff Summers has 'feelings'," I stated in a testy manner. "You can't force him to act against what he really feels."

"His name is BRIAN HENNINGTON!" the judge interjected with a roar. "Don't walk into my office and try telling me what's what, young lady. I run this town, and I'll do as I please!"

My temper reached its breaking point, and I found myself starting to stand. "Now listen here you SON OF A..."

"Linda, SIT DOWN," Mercury ordered. He forcefully pushed me back into my seat. I turned and glared at him, to which he returned my stare with his own angry, warning expression. Silently I thanked him for stepping in when he did. I took a few deep breaths and turned back to face Judge Jasper, who was staring at us both silently.

"Forgive me for my outburst, Your Honor," I said calmly, but with determination in my tone. "I didn't come here to argue the politics of your town. As I said, I came here in the hopes you would allow Mr. Hennington to return to Andersonville with me."

"You're wasting your breath, Miss Anderson. Although I'm sorry for the way Judy Chunn chose to end her life, her trial served a valid purpose. By bringing Mr. Hennington and Miss Lane back to Peace River, it will re-enforce the idea that trying to escape from Peace River is futile. It will crush that hope once and for all."

'Not likely,' I wanted to argue but held my tongue. Dictatorship ruling never accomplished what it intended.

"What about a trade?" I tossed out on the table.

"I'm listening," Judge Jasper said with a waxy smile.

"You allow Brian Hennington and Candy Lane to go free and never bother them again. Let me stipulate this - they get to live normal lives as Jeff Summers and Tom McClain outside of Andersonville without fear of you picking them up - ever!"

"And what do I get in exchange?" Jupiter asked.

"The one person you've been searching for...the mailman."

"Two people for one...how is that a bargain for us?" Mars asked.

"I'm no fool, Mr. Marshal. Brian Hennington and Candy Lane are no threat to your town, but the mailman is. You have a problem and I can fix it. I can find the mailman for you."

"How?" Jupiter asked.

"As you know, Stephanie Hall wouldn't let me bond with Judy Chunn before the trial, so what happened to her during those three years she was gone will remain a mystery. However, I did get close enough to discover Judy was the link to the mailman. He picked her up outside of town. That's how she was able to escape."

"I knew that you knew who the mailman was," the Roman God of War stated angrily. "Who is he?"

"I'm afraid I don't have that information. As I said, I never got to download Judy knew before her death. However, I did pick up a partial license plate number from her memory. It's not much, but it should be enough for me to track down who the car belongs too."

"I want it," Jupiter commanded.

"Sorry, but there are conditions to this information."

"I'll agree to let your friends go and not bother them again."

"That's not what I'm referring to, Your Honor," I said while choosing my next words carefully. "I want to be involved in the search, and see him brought to justice. Think about it, Your Honor. I've done this type of work before and can be very useful in tracking him down."

"Unacceptable," Mars roared. "We don't need the help of a little girl to find..." Jupiter quickly put his hand up, silencing his son with the command.

"You can't do this alone." Clearly Jupiter was interested in what I offered him.

"Your right, I can't. I'll need the resources of Officer Merrick and Pete Atkins." I deliberately left Mars out, insulting and angering him even more. "With their help, I will find the mailman and bring him to trial. All I need is time."

"Time is one luxury you won't have a lot of," he answered. "I'll give you three months to find him. Now, what do we do if you fail? For you see Miss Anderson, I have no doubts that Mr. Hennington and Miss Lane will take root in Andersonville once they're released, and as you know I can't touch them if they do."

I swallowed hard; knowing that while I was confident I could find the mailman, it didn't mean I would. "I offer myself as collateral, Your Honor. If I fail, I'll turn myself over to you."

The king of the Roman Gods tugged at his beard, while Mars stared at me with pure anger. Apollo sat there quietly with a solemn stare.

"I agree to those terms under a couple of my own conditions," Jupiter countered. "You will work out of Peace River until the job is completed. I'm assuming you'll need Internet and phone accesses; so anything you do must be approved first by Officer Merrick. You will be monitored, Miss Anderson, and you will not, as your race says, 'bitch' about it. Also, your friend's freedom is dependent on you finding the Mailman. If you fail, I'll go after them again. Is that clear?"

"Crystal," I replied flatly. "I'll need time to settle things with Judge Herns."

Judge Jasper nodded. "I'll give you 2 weeks, Miss Anderson. Your friend will be released tomorrow morning and flown back to Andersonville...you can stay until then. I'm putting a great deal of faith in you, Miss Anderson...don't let me down."

He said the last sentence sternly, letting me know that if I did fail things wouldn't be pleasant for me here. Mark opened the door and escorted me out. Judge Jasper asked Ashlee and Mr. Marshall to stay behind.

"You did well," Mercury said as we exited Ashlee's office.

"Thanks for stepping in when you did," I nodded. Apollo came up behind me and grabbed my arm, cutting our conversation short.

"Linda, I was wondering if I could talk to you in private." The expression on his face indicated this was going to be a serious conversation.

"I'll meet you at the police station," Mark said and walked away. I faced Apollo for the first time since he had slammed me into the wall and almost choked me to death (AV 19 - P.O.W.).

"Let's go in here," he said, leading me to a conference room big enough for a dozen people. I took a seat while he closed and locked the door. Then he turned to me with a painful expression.

"Linda, that day in Mark's store...I'm sorry for losing my temper with you." He swallowed hard, then continued. "Judy meant a lot to me...personally. I wanted her to be happy and well. I never wanted to see her life destroyed the way it was."

"I know," I replied. "I'm also to blame for that day, Pete. What I said to you was out of line. I got caught up in the moment and let my anger get the best of me. What I don't understand is why you didn't do something about it. There are legends of you and others standing up to your father...why not then? Why didn't a group of you stand together and say to him that what he was doing was wrong?"

Pete's face became twisted in conflict. "Sometimes Linda, you don't realize how much you screwed up until afterwards. What's your expression...hindsight is 20/20? I was hoping things could be fixed after the trial. I never expected Judy to kill herself. If I had..." His voice trailed off.

I gave him a sympathetic nod. "I can't fault you for making a mistake, Pete. I made plenty in my own time. I'm also sorry for the nasty things I said about you. I don't agree with the philosophy of your town, but I do believe you had Judy's best interest at heart."

"Thank you, Linda," he said with a smile. "Look, I'm having a pig roast this afternoon and you're invited. There'll be stories, laughter and games...you'll get to see another side of my people that you haven't seen before."

"Will your father be there?"

"Only for a short time," Apollo half-grinned.

"Sounds like fun. What time should I be there?"

***

I spent most of the morning socializing with Ashlee and getting caught up on what had happened since I left. The freedom fighters, fueled by their anger over Judy's suicide, had been busy disrupting services all over town. Tires on city vehicles had been slashed, power lines had been mysteriously cut, and more slogans calling for their freedom appeared on walls everywhere. No one had been caught yet, and Judge Jasper was getting more frustrated each day by their actions. I realized just what type of catch-22 he was in. It would be so easy to bring hardship to his town, but he needed his people to live normal, happy lives. Thus, he had all this power to punish them and yet his hands were tied. To make matters worse, the mailman had made another delivery, and like before there were no clues as to who he really was.

I met Deimos later on that afternoon and he drove us to the lake where the pig roast was being held. Although I still enjoyed his company, I found my interest in him had waned. Perhaps this was because I was distancing myself from the Olympians and all they stood for. There was little doubt that Deimos was committed to Jupiter's cause. But there was also another reason, one that I couldn't deny even though I tried. I had been dating Tom once or twice a week and slowly but surely found myself becoming attracted to him. It was crazy, considering he was a carbon copy of my old self. In a sense, I was dating myself.

There were already 30 Olympians at the roast when we arrived. The afternoon and early evening was spent eating, drinking, and enjoying the many stories that each Roman God told. Neptune in particular had many good tales to tell. Other Olympians attended the roast over the course of the day, popping in for an hour or two and then leaving. One thing I found unusual was that I was the only human there. Even the Olympians who dated or were married to humans in Peace River didn't bring them along. Deimos got called into work, but promised to come back later and pick me up when I was ready. As night approached the party started to die. Apollo started a fire, and those remaining with us; Venus, Mercury, Cupid, and his wife Phoebe, sat around the fire listening to Apollo play a U-shape harp called a lyre. It made a sweet sound, and Apollo played it well. I became enchanted by the music he produced from it. After he finished each song, we would clap and ask him to play another - which he did. After finishing one song, Apollo held up his hand.

"Listen," he whispered. Everyone got quiet, but the only thing I heard was the cracking and popping of the fire. Apollo played a high note on the lyre, which was answered by a similar note from a flute. Apollo smiled.

"Linda, be very still. You're about to see something most humans have never seen before." Apollo played a few more notes, and the music from the pipe got a little louder. Carefully Apollo drew whatever it was in, until the sound of the pipe was just outside our circle.

"Okay Linda, slowly and carefully look behind you - and whatever you do, don't make a sound. If you do you'll scare him off."

I turned and gasped in astonishment. It was goat, at least from the waist down. It had goat's legs and was covered with thick, white fur. From the waist up was the body of a man, with two muscular arms and horns protruding from his forehead. He had a wrinkled face with a short beard on his prominent chin. In his hands was a long flute like device, which I learned later was called a reed pipe. Apollo began playing another song, and the goat/man joined in. Together they made a magnificent sound. We joined in by clapping our hands, and the goat/man started dancing around and playing his pipe with vigor. Despite his strange appearance, I found myself fascinated by him. After the song was over, Mercury picked up an apple and tossed it to the goat/man.

"Here you go, Pan." The goat/man caught it with one hand and sprinted off into the woods.

"Who was that?"

"That was Mercury's son," Apollo answered.

"Son?" I asked stunned, then looked at Mark.

"It's a long story," Mark answered. "Unfortunately, I don't have the time to tell you. I have to check up on Sherry and make sure she's okay. Our son is due soon."

"Are you sure it's a boy?" I asked humorously.

Mark smiled. "I'm willing to put money on it, Linda. Care to make a small wager?"

"Against you?" I laughed, remembering the legends about him. Mercury was something of a gambler back in his days. "Do I have the word 'sucker' written on my forehead?"

Mercury chuckled. "I see you're learning. Goodnight." No sooner had Mark said 'goodbye' he was gone.

"So where did this umm, person go?" I asked.

"Pan is rather shy, Linda," Apollo explained. "He won't be back tonight. So, what should we do next?"

"I should be going," Venus replied. "I have an early day planned."

"We need to go too," Cupid added as he helped his wife up. The three said their good-byes and walked off into the darkness, leaving Apollo and me alone by the fire.

"Maybe I should call it a night," I said yawning a little from my early morning wakeup call.

"Wait a minute, Linda," Apollo said, then got a guilty look on his face. "I still feel badly about what I did, and want to make it up to you. So I'm offering you a once in a lifetime chance. Here." Apollo handed me a three-inch black cube. It appeared to be solid, but I didn't detect any real weight to it. I flipped it around a few times and found every side had the same, dull finish.

"What is it," I asked.

"That's a good question," he said slowly. "It's most commonly referred to as the oracle of Delphi, but it has other names...and functions. I can use it sometimes to predict future events, but its real benefit is allowing you to see how things would've turned out based on a different decision or action."

"You're joking!"

"I'm serious, Linda. First the oracle creates another dimension in this world by constructing a protective bubble around it. Then it focuses on the decision or event in question, and builds a universe based on the consequences of that action. It shows you how your world would be different today if let's say, you took a job in Chicago instead of Atlanta. Call it a 'what if' box. What if I had taken that job after high school instead of going to college? What if I had married my ex-girl instead of the one I'm currently married to? How would my life be different...and how would it have affected others around me?"

"But it can't possible do that," I argued.

"It does," Pete insisted. "Okay, the clothes you'll be wearing may not be accurate, but the events are. The job you're employed at, the person you fell in love with, and the kids you have. It gives you a complete outlook of your life based on that one decision."

"You mention the future. Can it tell me what's going to happen in my life ten years from now?"

"Not really - because the future isn't set in stone. The oracle can make predictions, and some of them will come true, but most won't. As I said, its real benefit is looking at the past and building to the present. It's almost 99.9% accurate."

"How does it work?"

"You just think of a decision or action that you would like to see changed. Then hold onto the oracle and ask it to show you how things would've turned out. Remember when Vickie talked to you about Ashlee Gang (AV 17), and how if we hadn't interfered she would've helped murder an African-American family of four? This is how we knew. I simply asked the oracle to show me what would have happened if Ashlee had never been brought to Peace River."

"So you can look into other people's lives."

"I can, but it won't function for you that way. I'm offering you a chance to look at something in your past and change it - to see how things would've turned out differently."

"I can think of hundreds of decisions I would like changed."

"Sorry Linda, there's only enough power for one trip. So, ask yourself this. What is the one point in your life where you wish you knew what would've happened if you had turned someone down?

A small smile appeared on my face. "You seem to know me pretty well, Pete. That would be the day I accepted Dennis Butz's offer to go to Andersonville."

"There you go," Apollo grinned. "All you have to do is ask the oracle to show you how your life would be different if you had refused his offer." He stopped for a moment then got very serious. "I must warn you Linda, you may not like some of the things you see. It could cause you great emotional pain once you return."

"What do you mean?" I asked. "If something bad happens over there, it only justifies that my decision to go to Andersonville was the right choice."

Apollo nodded slightly. "Maybe, and then maybe not. Rarely is one decision totally wrong or right...without both pain and happiness. Do you still want to go through with this?" I thought about it and nodded. "Okay. Close your eyes and wished that you hadn't taken Dennis up on that offer. Oh, one last word of caution, Linda. Try not to confuse your current life with the one you're about to enter. Things will be very different, and only you will know what the differences between the two worlds are. Have you got that?"

"Sounds easy enough," I replied confidently.

"Then close your eyes and concentrate on the point in time you want to change."

I did as Apollo said, and thought about the day Dennis had offered me this job. I wished to see how different my life would have been if I had declined his offer. Nothing happened. I didn't hear or feel anything change around me.

"It didn't work..." I started to say while opening my eyes. I stopped in surprise and looked around. I was sitting in an unfamiliar office. The room was decorated rather sparsely with an old, wooden desk, a metal file cabinet in the corner, and a few cheap pictures hanging on the wall. The first thing I noticed about myself was the way I was dressed. I was wearing dark pants, a blue shirt, and a striped tie. I slowly lowered my hand and found my old friend. I was a man again.

"It did work," I said out loud. I heard a car beeping outside, and walked over to the window to take a look. I peered out at a busy street below. I knew I was in Seattle because I could see the space needle in the distance. It was raining, a common occurrence in this city.

"What do you think, Tom," I heard Apollo ask.

"It's incredi...Agggggg!" I screamed like a frighten child. It was Apollo, at least his head, floating in the middle of the room smiling curiously back at me. He had scared me so badly that I was surprised I hadn't peed my pants.

"Oh, sorry," he grinned. "I had to wait until this universe became stable before I could pop in."

"Forget about that...where in the hell is the rest of you?"

"Back by the camp fire," he explained. "Think of this as me sticking my head in from behind a curtain - the only part you would see is my head. By the way, no one else can see or hear me, so don't start babbling off to me unless you want everyone here to think you're now a few bricks short of a full load." His head floated over to where I was at, and looked out the window. "Hummm, the city of Seattle."

"Yes," I answered a little uncomfortably. Seeing him like this was going to take some getting use to. "So what is this place?"

"This is where you work," Apollo answered as he looked around. "Not a very nice office. It could use some paint."

"Perhaps I'm not here that much. Speaking of which, am I still in Peace River?"

"Well, yes and no. Your body is in a trance, because your consciousness is here. So physically you're there - well, in a sense, but mentally you're not."

"What do you mean in a sense?"

"Well, if you use the bathroom in this world, you won't be peeing your pants back at the campfire. Your mental state is attached to the physical body in this world, but your real body, your female body, is still back in Peace River.

"Sounds a little confusing, Pete...Apollo. Hey, I can say your name without any problems. Is that because you're allowing it?"

"No Tom. As I said, you're not really in Peace River anymore, so those rules don't apply to you here."

"Great - I no longer have to play that stupid game of, 'I know who you are, but I'm going to pretend you're someone else, even though you and I are the only ones around." I took a quick look around the room. "If this is my office, why am I here?"

"You're about to find out," he replied. There was a sharp knock at my door, and I looked at Apollo a little uncertain. "Go on Tom, it's for you. Just remember, they can't see me."

I straightened my tie and opened the door. It was a nicely dressed woman in her early thirties. "Hello," I said, suddenly realizing I had no idea who this person was. Apollo, at least his head, floated out of the way to watch.

"Good evening, Mr. McClain," she said coldly. "You told me you had some pictures you wanted me to see."

"Umm, yes, that's correct," I answered. I looked over to Apollo for guidance.

"The file you're looking for is in your top desk drawer, Tom. This is Mrs. Vandike. You were hired to find out if her husband was cheating on her.'

"So I'm a detective," I replied.

"That's what you told me," the woman shot back, giving me a strange look. "You do have them, don't you? I'm paying you good money, Mr. McClain."

Apollo chuckled as I tried recover. "Yes, of course, Mrs. Vandike. Have a seat please." I pulled out a chair in front of my desk, then scrambled to the other side to get the folder. I lifted it from the drawer and handed over the pictures. As she stared at the pictures I glanced over my poorly scribbled notes. "These were taken at a bar called "No Attitudes," which is located on the south side of..."

"I know where it's at, Mr. McClain," she snapped heatedly. Tears formed in her eyes as she looked at each picture. "You told me all this over the phone. I...I just..."

Her anger wasn't directed at me, nor was it really anger. The poor woman was struggling with the fact that the man she loved and wanted to spend the rest of her life with was unfaithful. I handed her a box of tissues, which she gratefully accepted.

"That damn bastard, I love him," she stated painfully. "I guess you must think I'm a fool, Mr. McClain. Even though he's cheating on me, I still love him. Why doesn't he love me the same way?"

"I don't think you're a fool Mrs. Vandike, nor do I understand why he's cheating on you. If you still want to work things out, I suggest that both of you see a marriage counselor. They can help. I have a few people I can refer you to."

"Thank you, Mr. McClain," she answered, wiping the last few tears from her eyes. "You must see a lot of these cases."

"Quite a few," I nodded. I gave her a few names, took her check for $300, and escorted her to the door. Another successful case - yet I felt no real satisfaction from it.

"You did well, Tom," Apollo observed. "I'm impressed with the way you handled this, and offered to help her out at the end."

"I've had plenty of practice," I answered while taking a seat. "I guess it's nice to know what I'm doing for a living, but this isn't really what I was interested in. What happened to the Anderson's...and Al? When do I get to see them?"

"Anytime you wish, Tom. In here things work a little differently. While everything about this world is real, it's not very big. This universe is only about a mile in diameter."

"You mean I can't travel more than a mile from here?"

"No, that's not what I mean," he shook his head. "Because of its size, most of the universe is created in memory only. When you do want to go someplace, the oracle pulls out that memory and shifts to it. To go someplace, all you have to do is state the location out loud."

"Sounds easy enough," I replied. "Okay, I wish to be were the Anderson's are." Suddenly everything swirled around me and became a blur. Moments later I was standing at the front door of the house I had built for them. In the distance I could see the other house Jennifer and I had once shared. It appeared in this life I had been able to keep some of the money I received from the sale of Dr. Jensen's house.

"Pretty cool, huh?" Apollo said.

"Not bad," I agreed. I rang the doorbell and Mrs. Anderson answered. Her eyes lit up when she saw me.

"Tom!" She threw her arms around me and gave me a big hug. "Tom, it's so nice to see you again. How are you?"

"I'm fine, mom. I was in the area and thought I would check and see how everyone is doing."

There was a painful look on her face as she invited me in. "We've had better days, Tom. Sox is out drinking with some friends."

"Drinking?" I questioned. Sox was an alcoholic who I had gotten back on the wagon with the help of a local AA group. Now he was drinking again...and when an alcoholic drank it wasn't a good sign.

"Don't be so surprise, Tom. He's been drinking ever since that day."

"That day?"

"You know, the day Tracy was taken from us." I realized she was talking about the trip we made to Area 51 (read AV 1). That was when Dennis had offered me a chance to work for him in Andersonville. Of course in this universe I had turned him down.

"Yes, I...I try to forget about that day."

Mrs. Anderson placed her hand gently on my arm. "I understand, Tom. I miss her too. She was a lovely little girl."

I almost corrected her. Tracy had actually been Gerald Rogers, a Roman God who had been cast out of Peace River, and there was nothing sweet about him. Thank goodness for the behavior serum Dr. Jensen had developed. Because of it, I had been able to order him to behave as a normal little girl.

"I miss her," she stated sadly. "I always wanted to be a grandmother."

"I know mom. Maybe one day you will."

"Not with Jennifer," she told me. "She...oh Tom, you must talk to her. I'm so worried about her."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

Mrs. Anderson never got a chance to answer the question. The sound of high heel shoes clicking on the hard floor interrupted our conversation. Jennifer/Al strolled into the kitchen; only it wasn't the Jennifer I remembered. She was dressed in a short, leather skirt and a silver halter-top that barely covered her breasts. Around her legs was a pair of dark, fishnet stockings that highlighted the stiletto heels she wore. Her face was made up heavy with makeup, and even from across the room I could smell the perfume she was wearing. Jennifer looked like a barroom hooker.

"Mom, have you seen my cigarettes?" she asked, then stopped when she saw me. There was a look of sadness, or maybe it was shame, in her eyes. "Hi Tom."

"Hi Al," I said softly.

"It's Jennifer," she frowned. "I told you never to call me that name again."

"I'm sorry," I apologize humbly. Mrs. Anderson looked at the young woman painfully. Her daughter, at least the person she had come to love as her daughter, was self-destructing before her very eyes.

Jennifer shrugged her shoulders as if she didn't care anymore and turned back to her mother. "So mom, have you seem my cigarettes or not?"

"You left them on the table." Then she added in a low, non-offending tone, "Jennifer, I wish you wouldn't smoke. It's not good for you."

"Yeah?" She picked up her cigarettes and proceeded to light one as if what her mother thought didn't matter. She inhaled, and then blew the smoke in her direction. "There's lots of things not good for me mom, but I do them anyway. Some of these things make me feel good."

"And this is one of them, Jennifer?" I questioned. "You used to hate smoking."

"I used to hate being 'screwed' by guys, but things change," she chimed. "Maybe I'll die young, but at least I'll be doing the things I enjoy."

"Jennifer...what's wrong?" I asked with great concern. This wasn't the person had I rescued from the Jensen house and later married.

"What are you, my mother?" she snapped. "I'm a woman now! What else am I suppose to do but spread my legs and please men!"

"Jennifer!" Mrs. Anderson cried shamefully. "Please don't talk like that. I'm a woman, and there is more to my life than...than pleasing my husband."

"You had a family, mom. Me, I had to get my tubes tied so I wouldn't get pregnant again. What decent man would want me now? Even my best friend here threw me away."

"That's not true, kiddo," I jumped in. "I still love you very deeply."

"Really?" she questioned with raised eyebrows. "Enough to 'fuck' me right here and now."

I swallowed hard, trying to find the right words. "Jennifer, my love for you is deeper than sex."

"Stop avoiding the question," she said seductively, while moving beside me and running her long, manicured fingernails through my hair. "How about it, Tom-boy? One more for old times sake!"

I grabbed her hand and held it away from me. "Damn it, Jennifer. I love you more than that. Don't you see I want to help? Are you so blind that you can't see how this is hurting mom?"

"I wish you had let me die back at the Jensen's house," she hissed angrily while pulling her hand away. "I told you to set the place on fire and let me die, but you were too noble to do such a thing, Tom. My life is not like yours; so don't try to tell me how to live it. You're still a man...I can never be one thanks to you. You could have saved me by taking Mr. Butz up on his offer!"

"It wasn't the right thing to do," I tried to explain. "Dennis couldn't be trusted."

"Well thanks for discussing it with me first," she yelled totally pissed. "Now I'm stuck like this - FOREVER! And you have the nerve to come here and tell me that you care."

"Jennifer," Mrs. Anderson reached out in hope. "Tom is only trying to help."

"He's done enough!" she spat, while picking up her black, leather coat. "I won't be home until late, 'mother'. And just so you know, I'll be bringing someone home with me tonight. I'm warning you so you don't walk into my room and embarrass me or yourself." She looked in my direction one more time, frowned, and left the room. I heard the front door slammed and moments later the sound of a car screeching away. I knew the friendship we once had could never be the same.

"She's just angry," Mrs. Anderson explained. "She doesn't mean what she said, Tom."

"Yes she does, mom," I whispered. "And she's right; I am the reason why she can never be a man again. She has every right to hate me."

"Oh no, Tom...you did the right thing I'm sure. We have no idea what Mr. Butz was planning to do to us. You even said yourself he was going to make Sox and I forget our past. How could we be happy if he did that?"

"Yes, how could you?" I whispered absentmindedly.

Mrs. Anderson gave me a loving hug. "Why don't you stay for dinner, Tom? I could use the company. We could talk about your work."

"Sure mom," I replied, although talking about my job was the last thing I wanted to do. Mrs. Anderson wiped the tears from her eyes and went downstairs to get something from the freezer. I walked into the living room and sat down. Apollo's head followed.

"I don't get it, Apollo. What happened to Jennifer, and my father?"

"What always happens to those who can't or don't deal with their problems...they self-destruct," he said sadly. "The death of your baby, plus losing his granddaughter Tracy, followed by your divorce was too much for Mr. Anderson to deal with. As a result, he turned to the bottle to ease his pain."

"But he knows that's not the way!"

"It's not about knowing Tom; it's about having the strength to do something about it. Sox is a strong man, but he still has several weaknesses that he can't deal with. He doesn't know any other way to ease his pain other than drinking to the point where he can't remember. Don't you see Tom, your father doesn't want to work through his pain, he wants to forget about it."

"What about Jennifer? She's become a...a..."

"Whore?" Apollo finished for me. "Yes, she's reverted to the life-style Gerald trapped her into. A few weeks after Tracy was taken away, Jennifer had a nervous breakdown. You thought that by telling Jennifer about the offer Dennis had made which you had refused, it would help her deal with her depression. Instead it had the opposite effect. She felt betrayed, and ended up hating everything you stood for. She doesn't care what happens to her now. All she wants to do is die - and until then she's going to do everything she can to hurt those around her, including herself. She has a lot of guilt and pain to deal with - but sadly she won't get help for it."

"But we dealt with that already," I told him.

"Yes and no, Tom. Yes, you did deal with it, and Al was able to accept his new life as Jennifer Anderson for a while - but she never, truly did embrace it like you have as Linda Anderson. The Al Parker inside that body knows he would still be a man if he hadn't tried breaking into Dr. Jensen's home that night. They may have been the ones who transformed him into Jennifer, but he knows who's really to blame for him being a sexy young woman."

"Is there nothing I can do for her, Apollo?"

"Like what?" he asked. "This universe is only temporary. Once you leave, it will cease to exist. Besides, you can't save a person who doesn't want to be saved, Tom. I hate to say this, but Jennifer is lost in her own misery...and she doesn't trust you anymore. You can't help her...no one can."

"I can't believe how screwed up she's become - or my father. It's like a bad dream."

"Perhaps, but not all things turned out bad."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You have other friends, Tom. Why don't you check them out?"

"Keith Bennett. I want to see what's happening with him." Suddenly things began to swirl around me, and I found myself standing in darkened room in front of a picture window. Apollo appeared beside me.

"Where am I?" I asked.

"You're in Martin's Furniture store," he answered.

"In Andersonville?"

"Not anymore," Apollo answered. "Because you refused to come here, Dennis Butz stayed with the original name he had in mind."

"Which was?"

"Atlantis...the name of the place where the Titans used to rule from before we arrived. Atlantis, Montana. It has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?"

"I'm surprise Dennis wasn't planning to call it 'Illusionville', since it's closer to the truth." Apollo chuckled cheerfully.

"Anyway, this is as close as you can get to him."

"Why can't I meet with Keith in person?"

"Because of the temps," Apollo explained. "How long do you think you would last out there before they spotted you? This way they won't see us standing here in the dark. Look, here comes Keith now."

It was Keith, AKA Larry Smith. He was coming out of the movie theater with his friend, Bill 'Grizzly' Maxwell. Holding onto Bill's hand was Peggy Wilson. They were laughing; most likely about the movie they had seen.

"He looks happy," I observed.

"They all are, Tom. Dennis had Keith brought here like before, and he accepted his new life. Of course, it was a little harder without you or Al around, but when Bill showed up (AV 10) they formed a strong friendship. Peggy of course warmed up to Bill over time."

"So my decision had nothing to do with their outcome. Either way they would've come here and been happy."

"Pretty much so Tom, although you shouldn't sell yourself short. You did help Keith come to terms with his sister's death, something he's still struggling with in this world. I can sense a lot of guilt over this issue."

They walked by; totally unaware I was watching them in the darkness. Apollo sensed something wasn't right with me.

"What's the matter, Tom?"

"I don't know, Apollo...I guess I miss them. Keith and Bill are good friends of mine, and Peggy was actually starting to warm up a little. I guess not knowing them in this world make's me realize how rich my current life is."

"Does that include me too?" Apollo asked.

"I smiled. "Yes, you too."

"I'm glad to hear that Tom, because I feel the same way. So, do you want to continue watching them?"

"No, I've seen enough. Let's try someone else." I thought about it and felt a glimmer of hope. "Kevin Brown. I want to see where he's at."

The world shifted around me, and I found myself standing in the middle of a graveyard. Slowly my eyes adjusted to the darkness, and saw that I was standing at his grave. Tears welded in my eyes as I knelt down and brushed the grass off his marker. At the top it read, 'Killed in the line of duty'.

"I know you miss him Tom, but his death had nothing to do this decision," Apollo stated.

"I know. I was hoping that maybe it did." I put my hand over my mouth and for the thousandth time I found myself asking why him. "Apollo, could I have saved him somehow?"

"Yes, if you had made other decision's early in your life that would have affected his," Apollo confessed. "The question is would he have been as happy? That's hard to say."

"He would be alive," I almost exploded at Apollo's casualness.

"So - does that mean he would be living a fruitful and happy life?" the Roman God countered. "Tom, a person's life shouldn't measure by the years they live, but how they lived them. A life should be measured by how much they were loved by others. Kevin was a very well loved and respected man at the time of his death, and that showed what type of person he was."

"Yes he was respected," I said sorely. "He was also a good friend."

"Would you like me to give you some time alone with him?" Apollo offered.

"No, but thanks," I stood and brushed the dirt off my pants. "I think I've spent enough time here...and in this world. I'm ready to go back now."

"Are you sure, Tom? Don't you want to see how your life turned out?"

"I already know," I told him. "I'm a private eye."

"That's what you do for a living. I'm talking about your personal life."

"My personal life? You mean I actually have one?"

"Sure...want to see?"

I nodded, and slowly the world around me changed again, this time to someone's living room. Nearby I saw a table set for two, with candles lit. There was soft music playing from the radio nearby.

"Where am I?" No sooner had I asked the question a young woman came out of her bedroom fooling with an earring. She was wearing a short, red dress that made me drool, and had her long, black hair hanging just right over her shoulders.

"Babe, I didn't hear you come in," she smiled. The stranger strolled over and kissed me on the lips. "But I'm glad you're here, tiger. I've been waiting for you." She growled softly and gave me a seductive smile.

"What's the occasion?" I asked pointing to the table. She gave me a mischievous grin.

"No occasion. I just thought you and I would spend some time together. Let me get dinner." She kissed me one more time, and went into the kitchen."

"Apollo, who is this person?" I asked softly

"She's your girlfriend, Tom. You met her about a year ago while investigating some stolen property. Her name is Monica, and she's madly in love with you."

"Am I in love with her?"

"Do you feel like you are?"

I thought about it and realized that I did. In fact I was feeling a great deal for this lady. She was soft and sexy, but also very comfortable to be around. I wanted to immerse myself in her charm.

"Why do I feel so strongly toward this stranger?" I asked.

"You're feeling the relationship you've formed with her over these past months," Apollo explained. "I'm allowing your true feelings for her to come out."

"And she feels the same way?"

"Who are you talking to?" my girlfriend asked holding two plates of food in her hands.

"No one," I lied. "I was just thinking out loud about a case."

"I see," she smiled. "Well forget about your cases tonight, Tom...tonight it's just you and me."

She laid the plate on the table, but I didn't even bother seeing what it was. All I could do was stare at the lovely woman who loved me as much as I loved her. To some men she would've appeared average, but to me she was the prettiest woman I had ever seen.

We ate the pasta casserole she had fixed and discussed upcoming birthdays and other social events. The more we talked, the more I wanted to spend time with her. She was everything I had ever wanted.

"That was delicious," I told her after dinner.

"Are you ready for desert?" Monica grinned while standing. She reached behind her back, and I heard the sound of a zipper. The shoulders of the dress moved forward, and with a slight tug fell to the floor. She grinned seductively while standing there in just her black panties and bra. Her legs were smoothed and tan, her waist was narrow, and her hips were slightly wider than the rest of her body. I felt myself getting hard seeing her there.

I grabbed her in my arms and kissed her lips. She answered with passion, and I moved my hands over the silky panties. She gasped with pleasure, and then put her finger to my lips. "Let's move to the bedroom, tiger," she whispered.

"I'll wait out here," Apollo told me with a smile. At least he was a well-mannered god.

Monica grabbed my hand and led me to the bed where the sheets were already drawn. We continued to kiss as I unsnapped her bra. It fell to the ground, and I moved in on her breasts that were begging to be taken. She removed her panties, and then helped me out of my clothes. Now naked, we fell on the bed and let nature take its course. Never before had I been so in-tune with a woman before. We twisted and turned, getting as much pleasure from the moment that we could. When it was over we lay there in each other's arms satisfied.

"Tom," she asked apprehensively. "Do you love me?"

"Love you? I'm mad about you, Monica."

"What about children?" she pressed. "Do you want to have a son or daughter some day?"

"Yes, I think I would," I grinned, thinking of what it would be like to be a father. "I think that would be great. Why do you ask?"

"I'm pregnant."

"What?" I rose slightly and looked down at her.

"I'm...I'm pregnant with your child," she sputtered. "I'm about 6 weeks along I think. I'm sorry if..."

I didn't let her finished. I bent down and kissed her passionately. I was feeling totally blessed by the announcement. "I love you, Monica. I love you with all my heart." Then I laughed; feeling happier than I ever had before in my life. "I'm going to be a father! Oh my god, I'm going to be a daddy. I don't know how to thank you, Monica. Wait, yes I do. Marry me!"

"You mean that, Tom?" she whispered cautiously.

"I do Monica," I replied seriously, then laughed with glee. "Tomorrow we can fly to Las Vegas and become man and wife. I love you, Monica!"

"Oh Tom," she laughed with tears in her eyes. She gave me a long kiss, and cuddled up next to me. We talked into the night about the baby and what it would mean. We would have to get a bigger place, and start fixing it up. All those plans - but they were good plans. Finally in the early morning hour exhaustion took over, and we fell asleep in each other's arms. I had never felt so secure in all my life.

"Tom," I heard Apollo calling.

"What?" I mumbled.

"Tom, it's time to go."

"Leave me along, I want to sleep."

"No Tom, it's time to go. It's almost sunrise."

"Where are we going?" I asked. Then I realized what he meant. I didn't want to go back with him. I was happy here. I wanted to stay and get married to the woman I loved. I wanted to be a father, something I couldn't do in my other life.

"Leave me alone Apollo," I said harshly, suddenly waking up. I could see the outline of his head floating in the dark room. Monica stirred, and I reached over and touched her soft hair. She was all I wanted now.

"It's time, Tom," Apollo insisted.

"Didn't you hear me," I hissed softly. "I'm not leaving, PERIOD! Do I have to spell it out for you?"

"You can't stay, Tom. The bubble of this universe is very unstable and won't last more then a few hours. We have to leave."

"What about Monica?" I cried. "What happens to her?"

"She doesn't exist, Tom. Everything around you is temporary, not real. Her life is on the other side. I let you stay as long as I could, but now we must be going. Please Tom; don't force me to drag you out of here."

I hung my head and looked back at Monica one more time. I reached over and kissed her on the forehead. A smile appeared on her lips. "Goodbye Monica," I whispered.

"Close your eyes Tom, and asked to be returned."

Slowly I closed my eyes while at the same time thinking about the life that I could've had if I had turned down Dennis' offer. I asked to be returned, and suddenly the crackling of a fire invaded my ears. I opened my eyes, and found that I was back in Peace River, in my female body. I was Linda Anderson once more.

"Welcome back, Tom. How do you feel?" Apollo asked curiously.

"Like I've just lost my soul mate." Then I got angry. "You did that on purpose you Son of a Bitch - didn't you?"

"I didn't want to, but yes, I thought it was important you saw everything."

"Why?" I demanded to know harshly. "Why did you do that? So you could watch my heart break? What, I wasn't miserable enough so you wanted to make me regret going to Andersonville? Why did you do it, Ap...Apo...Apollo?"

"You can speak my name for now," he said. Then he looked at me sternly and spoke, "Sometimes people do better in life by knowing the truth...isn't that what you once told Judge Herns?" (AV 22)

"That was different," I snapped. "Judge Herns wanted to erase the memories of my mother's past. What happened to me wasn't my past, it was a possible future - there was no truth to it."

"The truth is the truth Tom, even if in this universe it really didn't happen," he explained. "Besides, the question was how did your decision affect everyone...and doesn't that include you? The Anderson's were devastated by not going to Andersonville, but most likely would've recovered once they found out they were going to be grandparents again. Unfortunately, it would've had a very negative affect on Al/Jennifer, who would've sunk even deeper into the pit she dug for herself. I can't say for sure, but suicide appears to be her ending.

"As for Keith Bennett and Kevin Brown, things wouldn't have changed. Keith would be happily living out his life as Larry Smith in Andersonville, and Officer Brown would still be dead. So if you hadn't taken Dennis up on his offer, there would be three people hurt by your decision and two friends who weren't affected at all."

"And what about me, Apollo?" I stated bitterly. "I not only lose the woman I love, but my unborn child."

"I'm sorry Tom, but I didn't write your history - you did."

"You still haven't told me why you showed me this part."

"What if I hadn't?" he replied in a rational manner. "Would that have been the right thing to do...to only show you the negative outcomes of your decision and none of the positives? For every decision you make there are both good and bad events that come out of it. In this case you would've found a lovely woman to spend the rest of your life with. Is that better than your current life?"

"YES!" I snapped.

"Perhaps Tom, but then perhaps the happiness you seek in life is what you make of it. Maybe instead of reaching for things you can't have, it's better to reach for things you can."

I shook my head angrily. "No, I won't accept that. I'll find a way to turn myself back into a man again and go after her." Suddenly Apollo got a painful look on his face. "What is it?"

"Tom...I'm sorry. I don't know how to tell you this. You see, I was also curious about what happened to Monica, and used the oracle to check up on her while you two were in bed."

"Where is she?" I asked, dreading the answer. Somehow I knew it wasn't good. "Did she marry someone? Did she have someone else's child?"

Apollo swallowed hard, and there was mixed emotions in his expression. "Tom...because Monica never met you, she took a job in New York City a month before the 911 attacks. She was in the South Tower when it col..."

"NO! NOOOOOOOO!" I got angry and started hitting Apollo in the chest with all my might. It was built like a brick wall, and each blow stung my fists. Finally when I could take the pain no more, I broke down crying. Apollo wrapped his massive arms around my body and hugged me tightly.

"I'm sorry, Tom...I really am," he said honestly. "I debated long and hard about telling you."

"Do something...save her?" I sobbed. "Use your powers to bring her back! I'll do anything you ask of me Apollo, if you grant me this request. Please, I want her to be alive again."

"I can't do that, Tom...anymore than I can bring your friend, Officer Brown, back. We have no power over death once they reach the other side. But death is not the end, Tom...it's the beginning. She's happy now. Where she's at there is no pain or hate...only love."

His words, while comforting, did not comfort me at all. Everything I wanted was lost because I had taken Dennis up on his offer. I was bitter, and felt I had the right to be. Even if I could become a man again, I would never have Monica. She was dead.

"I hate this box," I told him. "I never want to see it again as long as I live. I was wrong, it's not amazing...it's horrible!"

Apollo gave me an understand nod. "I know. There are times I wish I didn't have possession of it. The important thing here is that you don't blame yourself for what happened."

"Monica is dead because of me."

"No, Bin Laden and his monsters killed her because of their hate and misguided views of religion. You can't be responsible for everyone, Tom. If you hadn't taken Dennis up on his offer, things would've been different...but then it would've been the Anderson's and Al Parker who paid the price. Would that make you feel better?"

"I suppose not," I agreed. "Either way I'm responsible for their deaths."

"No Tom, you're not," Apollo pointed out. "Everyone in the end makes their own choices. Let's look at your friend, Al Parker. If he hadn't taken the job Klien Walker had offered him, you wouldn't be here having this conversation with me. And if Monica hadn't taken that job in New York, she would still be alive. Tom, they're responsible for their own futures. You can't blame yourself for their failures and how their lives turned out because of what you did or didn't do. You're part of their life, but you're not responsible for how they live it. Besides, who's to say Monica wouldn't have die in a car crash the next day if you had turned Dennis down. There are no guarantees in life - except for the fact that one-day you will die. That's why people should live like there is no tomorrow, because there just might not be."

His words made sense...and as much as I hated to admit it Apollo was right. They had made their own decisions. Still...

"I don't know, Apollo. Your words make sense, but I don't think I'll ever find another person like Monica to love."

Apollo smiled. "You will, Tom. I guess I need to start calling you Linda again."

"And I have to start calling you Pete," I replied, wiping the final tears from my eyes. "Apollo, don't you ever get tired of this game?"

He thought about it long and hard. "Sometimes, Tom. Then again, I get tired of the way humans run this planet...polluting rivers and oceans to make a profit, or stabbing each other in the back to get ahead. There's a better way to live...yet as a whole the human race is blind to that fact. Why is it that so many people want peace and yet there is none? Yes Tom, sometimes I do get tired of the game we play, but Peace River is still better than the real world. It has its faults, but it's closer to the world I want to live in.

"As for keeping our identity a secret, if the people of Peace River knew who we were they wouldn't treat us as regular members of their society. We had that happen once, and despite what you might thing, it wasn't all that wonderful to be on a pedestal all the time."

He threw some sand on the dying fire and stood. "The diner should be opening soon. Come on, I'll buy you some breakfast before we pick up your friend."

"I really not in the mood to eat," I told him, then spotted some wild flowers growing nearby. "Could I ask a favor of you?"

Apollo nodded as if he understood. "Go ahead, Linda. I'll take you to see Monica."

"Thanks Apollo." I gave him a hug, then turned to pick the prettiest flowers I could find for her grave.

Fade out...

Next episode - Freedom Fighters

up
27 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos