Knight and Dryad

Printer-friendly version

In times past, when the sun seemed to grow cold and civilizations abated,
it fell to just a few to keep the flickering ember that was knowledge from fading.

Thou no longer did legions enforce rule from lands afar, the calendars,
religion and language of both church and scribes remained on par.

Outside the church and scribes only a few knew the magic of written words,
unlike today, it came to be the task of minstrels to spread the tales which held sway as news of the day.
So it came to be that the story of Knights and the Dryads became a minstrel’s stay.

Therefore it is with no rhyme nor reason, do I shout out, the story you're about ... to hear about.

Knight and Dryad, recounted by Dreammaker

A score and four days into the month named after the scion of the Roman gods did come the Wedding festival and the strange happenings of which did a single minstrel recount. Not just any minstrel, but one who had once been a wood worker’s apprentice who formed the mighty long bows of the huntsman and archers of the keep. Indeed he is still known by the name Fred the bender. An apprentice no more due to injury, his legs almost useless, he turned to skills he had learned as a child growing up. His fine voice, memory and skill with stringed instruments endeared him to a passing musical troupe and now Fred’d Bender the minstrel is he.

Of the evening in question, none now is written. The festival, a celebration of marital union between two keeps, the groom and the bride, perhaps cousins it was said. To the betrothed the date had little meaning, except that the sun would shine long, the better the party it would make.

The church when quarried had no problems with the date, but of clerics of a more pagan religion would have known, the night was special and all involved should have been warned.

The great day came and went, brethren far and near with their loyal nobility did attend. Of the lesser nobility, the knights and the guards did fall the responsibility of keepers of the peace, the bouncers you might say. As the sun set on the day’s festivities, dancing lights and shadows were cast upon the marry throng by torches lining the surrounding meadows so vast. It is not known now when not to where, the wedding party and the merrymakers retired, but as the midsummer’s night moon did raise the air cooled and treadles of fog did arise and from the surrounding forests did lasses appear, attracting the attentions of knights and soldiers near. Among the lasses and armed men did pass the liquid of the moon's bright repast.

The shining orb moved westward, first high then low, meanwhile each man and lass did also lay low. When the glowing orb now of pealed orange sank below the treetops the forms of the loving couples faded, knights and lithe spirits did disappear.

On the ground so fertile and sweet, sprites and spirits with the men did mix, their bodies of dust and bone they did shed, their own spirits were now to be spread, of wood nymphs and forests they become.
Now around the castle keep, where once meadows did surround, saplings with new born guardians enfolded, abound.
Now this tale from times lost to the past, is now but song for a singer to spread delight. As the last of the evening’s light fades, the ex-woodworkers apprentice, Fred d’ bender sings out in nasal twangs, a minstrel’s warning,

Of wasted dryads and wasted knights,
a tree from you is left behind…
for you are no longer of man,
your heart belongs to something else…


Freddy Fender's Wasted Days and Wasted Nights

up
81 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments