Fear of Faith

Printer-friendly version

Fear of Faith

Once again, do not expect a joyful tale reading this. On the contrary however, I write misery when I am at my happiest and vice versa.

This may seem like a shot at religion, but it is far from that. It tackles individuals and means no offence to any group of people, in fact I wrote this with a slight pro-religion perspective.

This is a work of complete fiction.

~o~O~o~

Richard caressed the unpopulated benches of his beloved church as he took slow thoughtful steps towards the alter. He put his faith before almost everything, dedicating his life to show praise to he who he'd never witnessed.
Light shone through the stain-glass windows modestly as the 50-something year old man prepared himself for prayer.

“Lord,” he started with his knees pushed down upon the aisle. “I am at a moral dilemma.” Beads of sweat began to form across the upper part of his face, this was to be no ordinary ritual of prayer.
“My son, he has sinned and will not learn or even acknowledge otherwise.” He briefly checked to see if he was alone before continuing.
“You know the facts Father, but I ask you not to smite him, he is my responsibility.” A hand drew from behind his waist.
“I ask you to let me smite him myself.”

The man juggled a small weapon between his hands trivially whilst looking up to the heavens — or the ceiling that separated him from them, anyway.

“I understand this is quite a request and so I ask of you, if you think this is in any way the wrong thing to do, show me a sign.”
He paused, gazing upon the handgun as if expecting it to burst into flames and ashes.
“Then it's settled... for the good of my name...”

~o~O~o~

Alex was on the very edge of his bed, as if a reflection of his spirit, strength and faith. A pool of memories surrounded him; photographs, clothing, notes, even dreams...

A faint gasp that showed nothing but hopelessness released itself from his mouth. If he were to regain his hope, he needed to start a new. The past needed to be taken care of... literally.

The grind of a match against the rough edge of the box drew upon his fragile state, the faint fall of said match followed.
What followed next was far from faint or quiet.

Flammable things memories, combine that with a teenagers room and boom — a sadistic individual's dream, and like the fires of hell they were.

~o~O~o~

Richard exited his car beholding the heavenly neighbourhood of which he lived in, basking in the midsummer heat and inhaling that barbecue smell you often sniff out in the suburbs, he progressed around the corner to his home.
What was his home, anyway.

Flames soared over the falling roof, windows were shattered and the house was engulfed in smoke.
On the curb he stood, speechless, watching his only son run from the side-door and on to the lawn. He was being burned alive and yet still he stood still and watched, his first thought? God had smitten what he had laid claims too.

“Well how about that?” A voice came from a few feet away. “Seems the job's already been done for you Richard.”

Richard turned, smitten, towards the individual — his priest. “How do you...”

“I heard your little prayer, perhaps better suited for the confession box don't you think?” The priest chuckled. “Your son's dead Dick, because he refused to match the image God intended for him. And for the good of your name and your 'faith' you wanted this to happen, yes?”

Richard let a discreet nod show.

“You know Richard, there is faith and then there is the fear of faith. Obey everything out of fear and soon you begin to contradict yourself and then...” The priest pointed to the mess that was beginning to look no longer like his humble abode. “... Hell breaks loose.”

Young Alex now belonged to the ground, as only a blackened corpse.

“Now then,” the priest rubbed his hands together. “Let's take the body somewhere a little less charted, for a burying fit for a heathen. The fear of faith is rich in this neighborhood, we shall hope they turn a blind eye.”

“But Reverend,” Richard took him by the shoulder as he stepped forth. “My son...”

“I'm sorry old friend, but I cannot allow myself to be found in anyway connected to this boy's death. For the good of my name and that of my church.”

up
52 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

How sadly true...

Andrea Lena's picture

You know Richard, there is faith and then there is the fear of faith. Obey everything out of fear and soon you begin to contradict yourself and then...”

The odd thing is that somewhere it's written that perfect love casts out all fear. And what is perfect love but that acceptance without demand? The belief that is beneficent and calm and peaceful? A faith that practically invites deep investing and trust rather than a trembling fear of reprisal? My take is my own; I don't mean to read anything into the story that the author did not intend.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Richard must now live with

the guilt of not loving his child as he should. No person, no matter their title has the right to disown another.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hard One To Review, This

Hard one to review, this. I love the way so much information is withheld and yet the motivations of each character are clear. I can't help feeling that it would have been even more powerful if there'd only been one scene - for example the protagonist looking at a photo of his son or standing beside his coffin in a chapel of rest - and remembering what he'd prayed for.

By the way, I hope you realise your disclaimer was unnecessary. Everyone's entitled to their beliefs. What they're NOT entitled to is special treatment. No one who posts about their faith on this site apologises to atheists like me, and why should they?

Ban nothing. Question everything.

I cannot say that

this is a good story nor a bad story. I have too many thoughts running through my mind after reading this!

How many people have actually knelt in front of an Altar asking for permission or asking for forgiveness for an act not yet undertaken?

What's more, how many have asked for permission to kill their child even though there was no actual crime committed by their child? After all, the Bible does say to obey the laws of man! Not that I am one for believing everything the Bible does say though! Sometimes I wonder if I believe any of it since the stories in the Bible were each written about 500 to 700 years apart and found hidden or buried in many different areas!?

To me it seems like it would b much easier for all of man kind to just try to be the best person possible and not take the Bible so literal since it is quite obvious to me that it should only be used as a guide book if anything at all! I mean after all if one uses the Bible for every simple thing they do they can and DO use it to justify everything that they do including MURDER!

Normally I would not even comment on something like this but this time I could not help myself. Sorry!

Vivien