Pixie's Honor : Chapter 13 : Final

Printer-friendly version
Pixie's Honor

by:
Elsbeth


Matthew learns even the littlest of fairies value honor above all

greenpixie.png

Chapter 13

A cold winter wind blew over the silent markers that stood on Memorial Hill, a small hilltop just east of the woods on the edge of town. It had at one time been the original location of the first church in Skogshaven, now only a black metal historical plaque remained but the cemetery was still in use.

Most of the original families lay buried in the older section of the cemetery, but due to space, most Skogshaven dead now lay outside town. However, since the Confederates fired their first shots at Fort Sumter in 1861, the hill had become the traditional final resting place for those who have given the “last full measure of devotion”.

From behind a black carriage, driven by a team of white horses, eight sailors in their dark winter uniforms stood at attention as a Chief Petty Officer prepared for the ceremony. With quite commands, the men slowly pulled out the coffin draped in an American flag that held Navy Corpsman 2nd Class Matthew Dobson. Among his many awards included the Navy Cross Medal, Republic of Vietnam (RVN) Lifesaving Medal, and two Purple Hearts.

Aaron Nordberg stood off to the side, watching a scene that had become all too familiar for this country as of late. The New Year had started with so much promise when his friend Matt decided to move to Skogshaven. Still, Aaron felt a sense of pride intermixed with the grief. The idiot, as usual, put his life on the line for another.

Around the former Corpsman’s coffin stood many whose lives were saved by his quick actions in the dark days of the Vietnam War. They had taken time out of their lives for the long trip to say good-bye to a brother.

What surprised many, except for Aaron, Matt had left enough money to pay the travel expenses for those who couldn’t afford the trip to come to Skogshaven. In life, he knew his old comrades wouldn’t accept handouts to come to one of their reunions, but they would come to see a friend off.

Turning his head, he looked at the young woman in green hair flanked on one side by a tall beautiful young woman, and his wife on the other. At first, Aaron denied that the girl could have been Matt’s child knowing how much his friend loved his wife Elaine.

He also knew what type of man Matt was and he would never cheat on her, either. Still as his own wife Duyen pointed out, the two were from California and lived in a lifestyle quite different front theirs. Over his objections, his wife met with the young woman and after one look into the young girls eyes smiled.

“Aaron, look at her. She is most definitely Matt’s child.”

It didn’t take very long to believe it himself, after listening to her talk, how she interacted with others and her quick wit. No one brought up how this could have happened but the old soldier finally embraced the child as the daughter of his best friend.

Several days before the funeral, the last members of his platoon stood in the old Historical Society house for a wake. Putting aside her own grief, Poppy made sure that all of her father’s friends were taken care of. They, in turn, quickly adopted her. The somber affair soon turned into a full-blown party, as Matt made sure plenty of good drink and food had been supplied.

With the old men sitting around telling stories about Matt and the others long gone, the wake became a catharsis event for those who had not been to a reunion before. Many swore to come to the next ones. Matt must have known that would happen. Once again, the Corpsman thought of his brothers before himself.

Slowly, the sailors stepped back holding up the coffin. Another quiet command and the men turned, carrying it slowly up the hill. Passing markers of those who had given their lives from the hills of Gettysburg, to the beaches of Normandy, the sailors set down their charge with great reverence.

Aaron took a seat next to his wife, as the Chaplain stepped forward to speak to the mourners. Half-listening, he looked around in amazement. Initially, had thought only his wife and himself and perhaps a few of his old comrades would make it to the funeral but he didn’t expect such a turn out. Actually, he didn’t expect Matt to be buried in Skogshaven at all.

When Matt unexpectedly passed away, the town council balked at allowing the former Navy Corpsman to be buried on Memorial Hill. Even with the former mayor, Richard Kincade stepping forward, it didn’t seem possible; however, that soon changed.

The secretive Maher family sent word through their lawyers that although Navy Corpsman 2nd Class Matthew Dobson had not been born in the town, he was a true son of Skogshaven.

Aaron didn’t know a lot about the family, other than the fact that they owned a good portion of the land inside and outside the town, including the Historical Society House. However, it only took one word from them for the town council to fall over themselves to make Matt’s funeral a priority.

With the Chaplain’s final prayer, most civilians jumped at the first sound of rifle fire, disturbed the quiet morning. The distinct metal on metal sound of another round falling into its chamber followed another volley. Twenty-one in all and as the last echoes of the salute vanished; a young sailor came to attention and raised a ceremonial bugle to her lips. The familiar melody of Taps soon filled the air.

The eight sailors who had not moved through the entire ceremony, standing with a flag in their hand, at the end of Taps, slowly began to fold the American Flag into the familiar triangle.

Ritually passing the flag to the Chief Petty Officer, he placed it between two hands as he slowly marched towards Poppy. Bending down, the Chief set the flag into arms of the tear filled young woman and said.

“On behalf of the President of the United States and the Chief of Naval Operations, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one's service to this Country and a grateful Navy.”

Doctor Poppy Sully, shook as she brought the flag to her chest. The scene broke Aaron’s heart and his wife’s, too, as she reached over to give the young woman a motherly embrace.

+++++

Poppy watched high in the trees as the last handful of dirt fell on top of Matt’s grave. Coming back from Georgia to find that her old body had died had come as quite a shock.

From little what the others could tell when she became one with the sword named Samphire during her fight with the Countess, her last connection to the mortal world vanished. Something inside the Pixie had felt the change although at the time she didn’t know what it was until she got back home.

Of course, the whole business of going to one’s own funeral had almost been too much for her. Thankfully, Poppy had plenty of support of friends and loved ones around her. Oddly enough, the one thing she would not have been able to do if she had not transformed into Poppy, a final good-bye to the members of her old platoon.

Feeling another’s presence, Poppy looked up as Xera took a seat next to her on the tree branch.

“How are you doing?” Xera gave the Pixie a warm hug.

“I don’t know really, Xera. To tell you the truth even with all that has happened to me, this has been a really strange week.” Poppy leaned her head on Xera’s shoulder.

“I can empathize.”

Poppy sat look, looking at the Keeper strangely. “Really?”

“I above all.” Leaning back, the Keeper pointed towards the old forest. “My mortal body lies under the mound near the Sacred Grove.”

“Wait…Your body, does this mean…?”

Xera gave her a warm smile. “When I was a young girl in Scandinavia, I had dreams about a Sacred Grove sitting in a forest in a faraway land. My dreams of that time came true and my family knew I was destined for other things. At sixteen summers, I became an apprentice to a powerful Vá¶lurs, finally ending up in the Kings Court. It didn’t take that long for me to feel the need to search for this Sacred Grove.”

“Vá¶lurs?”

“Hmm, in my old land, we were known as the wand carriers, or magical staff carriers others simply called us the daughters of Freyja.”

“Like the goddess? Oh, you mean you were a Witch?”

“Yes. With the blessing of the King, plans were made for well over a dozen ships to travel across the ocean and set up a colony near the Sacred Grove. Stopping in Greenland, my vision told me that we needed to proceed further south. Soon we ended up on the coast line of Massachusetts.”

“Now, quite a few of the men wanted to settle on the coast but the Sacred Grove still lay deep inside the wild lands. Following my vision, I informed our Chief, who also happened to be my eldest brother, that we needed to continue on land to the west. Between my brother, a strong leader and myself we finally convinced the others to search for the grove.”

Besides the idea that Xera had once been a Viking, Poppy couldn’t believe that the Keeper of the Pixie Clan had once been human like herself.

“Is that why you and I can take a mortal form?” Poppy suddenly asked. “I mean, none of our other sisters can do it.”

“I believe so, from what I have been told, Samphire, whose sword you now carry had originally been a human, a Cailleach Feasa and a guardian of Brigit’s sacred flame.”

The green haired Pixie smiled at the name of another goddess, and then sat enthralled as the blue haired Pixie continued her story. Finally, the Northmen, called Men of Iron by the Native Americans, settled around the area just north of the current town of Skogshaven.

For years, the Viking settlement prospered with the help of the surrounding Native Americans until a terrible winter brought about the end. The cold brought a lack of food among the Native Americans and soon fighting broke out among the tribes, quickly spilling over to the Northmen. While protecting the homes of an allied tribe, her brother took an arrow through the eye.

Without strong leadership, the Vikings soon started to fight amongst themselves. After quite a few deaths, the group decided to head back east and then follow the coast north to the other colonies. Taking the women and children, the majority of the Vikings who came with her disappeared into the forest.

“It was a fool’s errand and of course, they never made it home.” Xera said sadly. “Unfortunately, I had caught an illness which kept me from stopping it all from happening.”

Poppy sat enthralled. “So what happened to those who remained?”

“For the most part they were men who had wives in the Native American villages and the ášlfhéá°nar who acted as my bodyguard.”

“That name somehow sounds familiar, who were they?”

“Odin warriors, berserkers who went to battle wearing wolf pelts. Although this particular clan who guarded me were unlike the others as they were actually Weres.”

“You mean like Werewolves?”

“Indeed. So when I died from complications caused by the illness, Njall, my husband claimed my brother’s sword and took his clan further west, over the Berkshires and deep into the forests beyond.”

“I’m sorry.” Poppy looked at Xera who sat in the coming darkness with her eyes closed.

“It was a long time ago child, however, I too watched as my loved ones bury me. But know this, you have been given a second chance and from what I have seen, you will have no problems moving on with this new life.”

“But, still.” Poppy said, looking down at her grave.

“But, still.” Xera agreed.

As the last rays of the sun set over Memorial Hill, the two Pixies held one another; lost in memories of their past lives.

+++++

Poppy jumped back, her sword connecting with the Silver Steel blade forcing it away from her body. Stepping forward, she threw a shot high towards her opponent’s head then reversed it, dropping the blade at the last second reaching for the chest.

Her opponent, Queen Mab also known as the Warrior Queen easily blocked the blow. Stepping forward in one motion, she grabbed Poppy’s arm and with a single toss, sent her into flying into bushes.

Before Poppy could rise, the Pixie found a sword at her throat. “Yield.”

The two women looked at one another for a second, and then started to giggle. The Pixie had to admit it was pure hubris on her part to think that she was a match for the Warrior Queen. Still, she hoped that at least she gave her a good work out.

With one hand, the Queen of the Summer Court pulled Poppy up into a lover’s embrace. The two kissed passionately for a moment caught up in the excitement of the fight before walking hand in hand back to the center of the clearing.

“So, what do you think?” Poppy asked, moving around once more with her sword in her hand.

“Think of what?” Mab made a face for a second, keeping an eye on her girlfriend’s footwork. The sword of Samphire had indeed given Poppy impressive skills, but they needed refinement.

“Working at the hospital.”

The Warrior Queen nodded. “So you decided to take the consultant position.”

“Yes.”

“I think it’s a good idea, I’m glad that my daughter pressed you to do it. It seems to make you happy.”

“Show me what you did before.” Poppy said. “You’re right it does, although I’ll have to be careful how it’s done.”

Poppy had already discussed with Doctor Shango St. Hill about the care for Allison Talbert, the poor woman who Matt had tried to help on the Highway and still lay in a deep coma. She still felt a certain obligation to help the young mother and when the father and children attended Matt’s funeral, she decided to take on Allison’s healing personally.

“That is one of the reasons why I approve of what you’re doing. You know as well as I what would happen if word leaked out of miraculous cures.” Mab pressed herself against the Pixie, walking her through the movement and counter attack of the last few moment. “It will also provide good feelings among the other Unseen if they know that they can be helped without raising undue questions.”

“Win their hearts and minds.”

Mab giggled. “Something like that.” She then became very serious. “I am thinking we will need their good will in the upcoming days ahead.”

Moving forward, Mab slashed heavily which she knew would cause Poppy to react in several different ways. The green haired beauty easily deflected the attack. Her follow up attack was perfect; however, Mab had seen such a combination many times before. Once again, Poppy found herself flat on her back.

“Are you OK, sweetie?” The Warrior Queen looked down at her beloved.

Poppy felt herself picked up off the ground again and kissed. She didn’t mind if Mab continued to throw her to the ground as long as she got another kiss out of the deal. The one kiss didn’t stop and soon, the Warrior Queen and Morgan’s champion found themselves back on the ground.

Sometime later, with the sun now long set, the two lovers shared a small intimate dinner while admiring the stars above. Poppy couldn’t help but think of the many different night skies she had seen in a lifetime and couldn’t fathom the number Mab has seen.

Pouring another glass of wine, Poppy said. “Morgan told me that you plan on introducing her to the other Queens.”

There were three Queens of the Summer Court Titania, Mab (Maeve) and Uonaidh (Una). Currently Titania ruled the Summer Court, her reign would last another thirty years before falling to Uonaidh.

The Winter Court ruled the same way, although the decision on who would become the next High Queen was determined through a gladiator style contest of champions. Queen Morgause’s reign, which had already lasted several centuries, didn’t appear to be ending anytime soon.

“It’s time. My daughter met the two of them briefly during Midwinter but she needs to be formally introduced at High Court.” Taking a sip of wine, Queen Mab sighed. “In addition, the three Queens need to discuss face to face the troubles that have been brewing around us as of late. Between what just happened with Morgause and the death of the Earth Guardian over the summer, I foresee some dark times ahead.”

Poppy shifted to get a better look at her girlfriend. “I see, so my arrival wasn’t really a coincidence was it.”

Queen Mab looked at the Pixie for a moment then began to laugh. “By the goddess, I knew you would be a worthy champion for my daughter. Besides that fantastic body of yours, you have a keen intellect.”

Poppy giggled, tipping her wine towards the Queen in salute “I thank you, my dear lady.”

After listen to Mab and Morgan, she too had a suspicion that after the death of the Green Man someone had been struggling to strengthen their defenses. Even Matt’s accident was suspect. But who it could be, Poppy didn’t have a clue but perhaps the Queens would figure it out.

“I sent Duke Uilleam to speak with Titania to request a meeting. Since she is the current Queen of the Summer Court, we will all come to her. Also Poppy, I would like you to accompany us.”

Poppy smiled. “Of course.” She had planned to ask anyway.

“Excellent….” Queen Mab stopped, seeing something off in the woods that caught her attention.

Turning, the Pixie tried to see what it might be, but found nothing.

“Poppy, would you be terribly upset if I ended our date for tonight.” Mab looked down at the beautiful woman.

“Not at all.” Leaning forward the two shared one last sweet kiss. Poppy understood as an Aos Sidhe Queen, she had many other responsibilities. Whatever she could see in the Woods obviously was one of them.

Turning back into a Pixie, she gave Mab a small wave before disappearing into the Fae to head back to Princess Morgan’s home.

Mab turned towards the forest, the scene had not changed at all. Before her lay a sight, she had not seen in over two hundred years. From inside the woods lay a small bright flame, not too far off a second one and then a third.

Drawing on the full power of the Queen of the Summer Court, she became the very image of the Warrior Queen. Taking one step forward, then another, Mab knew that there would be nineteen flames in total, leading her deep into the Fae into the very heart of the Sacred Grove.

++++++++++

Authors Notes: So that's the story of Poppy's beginning but not the end to her story. We will see Morgan , Mab and Poppy again very soon. Thank you to all who have read and enjoyed her story.

A special thanks to Eof for allowing me to write in such a great universe, and Eof, Maggie and Donjo who for their insightful comments. See I haven't destroyed the world yet :)

And a big special thanks to djkauf who edits my stories and has to put up with my constant battle with the comma.

If you like the story please leave a Kudos, if you have the time I would love to hear from you.

Thanks to all for reading!

-Elsbeth

up
249 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Tears

I had a few tears at that funeral. That was very well done. The playful combat between Poppy and Mab was great too. The ending with the will-o-wisps were a wonderful touch and harbinger that there is indeed more story to come. Bravo!
hugs
Grover

Poppy and Mab

Elsbeth's picture

{Highlight to read} Thank you Grover, Im always pleased when you leave a comment. And I'm happy you enjoyed Poppy's tale. Yep, Will-o-Wisps & Queens Meeting will soon be two tales that follow this one. Thanks again for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Xera's back story

I enjoyed that as well as alot of the other intelligence given here. Now I just need to find a way to insert it properly into the Gazetteer as some of this is tieing into Amethyst's sphere of influence.

Information

Elsbeth's picture

I'm glad I got to tell Xera's back story but yes, we will be seeing Morgan & her mom plus Poppy visiting the west coast pretty soon. Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Fun story

I'm no groupie in any sense of the word. I liked this story a lot and hope that you write more, inshallah.

Gwendolyn

Poppy

Elsbeth's picture

Oh well, I always wanted my own groupies :) Thanks, I'm happy you liked the story & as usual Gwendolyn thanks again for reading.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

The Beserkers

Enemyoffun's picture

I'm glad we were able to work that into the universe.

In case anyone was wondering...the Beserkers are actually the Lockes. Or rather the ancestors of the Lockes :)

Canon

As that comment now makes that officially canon I can now edit that into the Locke family description :)

A good ending to an enjoyable story!

I'm also so very glad to hear that your planing on continuing Poppy's story in the future. I cried while reading the funeral scene. That was very nicely written and its cool that all of Matts old militairy buddies have accepted Poppy as Matt's daughter. Boy would they be surprised if they were ever to find out who Poppy really is. I look forward to reading the continuing adventures of all the facinating and wonderful charaters of a little town named Skogshaven. Keep up the great writing Elsbeth.

Hugs,
Tamara Jeanne

Poppy's story in the future

Elsbeth's picture

Thank you very much Tamara, I'm happy that you enjoyed Poppy story. Yes, they would be surprised but at least they were allowed some closure, something she also wouldnt have had if she just died at Matt. This way she was able to say good-bye. Of course Aarons wife is going to make sure that she remains in their lives.

Thanks again for reading

hugs

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Great ending

Amethyst's picture

this chapter was nicely done as usual and very emotional. I thought it was a good ending or rather a good beginning for Poppy's story. Hopefully we'll see more of her soon ;)

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Thanks!!

Elsbeth's picture

I'm glad you like Poppy's start and look forward to her little visit out west :)

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Pixie's Honor

Sorry to see this story end however it was a good story and did finish strong. I hope there will be a follow up story to this story and if so I hope it stives as well though from start to finish as this one has with best wishes to the author for a great job on the creation of life to this story and to the authors future stories to do as well if not better. Christiea E. Haswell from Ford City, PA of USA.

Pixie's Honor

Elsbeth's picture

Thank you Christiea, I'm pleased you liked the story. Dont worry, we will be seeing Poppy in the near future. Thanks again for reading my little scribblings.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Xera's past has me wondering

what her future will be. Will she have any influence in the upcoming stories with her Viking heritage?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Emotional milestone

So this chapter definitely marks a major milestone in Matt/Poppy's life - indeed, the biggest since the closely spaced discoveries of waking up as Poppy for the first time, meeting her new clan, finding she could switch between pixie and human forms, finding she could heal in more ways than one, and finally finding out her old body was still alive (just).

This marked the final door closing on Matt's old life and a big door opening in Poppy's life, as in human form she's now going to be performing the role Matt originally travelled to Skogshaven for. I still wouldn't be surprised if the Grove (or some power associated with it) took advantage of Lily's powerful outburst of magic as the power source for enabling Matt's transformation / soul transition / whatever.

Then in other developments, learning that both Xera and Samphire were once human and having a meeting with Titania (probably travelling via the Fae realm as it would be a lot quicker and easier than travel in the mortal realm) - so it looks as though we might have our first Skogshaven / Sena Island crossover on the horizon :) Having said that, it will probably be quite limited as Dani, Verbina and Silphia (the only Sacred we meet there on a regular basis) probably wouldn't need to be involved (and even if they were, it would probably be purely as observers - they almost certainly wouldn't have any action).


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Matt/Poppy

Elsbeth's picture

Its an end and a new beginning for her but she isn't the type that would forget how she got there in the first place. I am also looking forward to the Skogshaven / Sena Island crossover, which will start with the Queens meeting. I have some other things to finish first but it should be a lot of fun.

Thanks again for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Well that puts the nail

... well you know.

I was not surprised Matt would die but apparently that is a normal thing among human to fae changelings. I always wonder if there would be some magic necessary to lock in the change but am wondering if that is an absolute requirement like in this case, the swords presence.

Kim

Pixie's Honor : Chapter 13 : Final

Great ending....looking forward to next story

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

Nice Elsbeth!

I was sorry to see Matt's body passed away, but I guess as one door opens, one must close (or it would get really drafty, wouldn't it!LOL). I look forward to your next venture into this Realm! (Hugs) Taarpa

Great story, I really liked

Great story, I really liked how the pixie slowly developed... I've got one thing to nit-pick though. You're aware what the Wikings did with the first native americans they ever met? They killed them. Then they killed some more... and then they were killed back... and then they were forced to flee back to Greenland.

Anyway, this was a good solution for a great story.

Thank you for writing,
Beyogi

Beautiful...

Simply beautiful, Elsbeth. A wonderful and fitting way to bring this story to a close. With each chapter and story you post, I'm looking ever more forward to whatever you see fit to grace us with next. I know I don't want to wait for the next story, but I can if I need to! ;P

And as always, please keep up the excellent work. ^^

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Excellent story

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Thank you for sharing Poppy's excellent and enjoyable story with us Elsbeth! :-) I look forward to seeing where you take the character in the future.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Another 'wow' tale

Hi, just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your tale. There are so many great stories on BCTS. I've only been around for a few months, but I keep finding wonderfully told tales with great characters that I get emotionally entwined with. Pixie's Honour is yet another wonderful addition to my favourites list. Thanks heaps for sharing it with us.

Cheers, Kiwi.

Beautiful

Beautiful Story Elsbeth! As one who has attented too many Navy funerals I am very glad and very honored that you got the details right :) Hope to read more of your stories soon

"Shiny, Let's be bad guys!"

Past and future stories

Wonderful addition to the universe, both the story version and the real one we inhabit. I have enjoyed everything I have read written by you, and this just adds to the enjoyment.
Thank you for sharing