One April morning - part 2

Printer-friendly version

April morning Part 2
Jennifer Christine

“Could you drop me off at the bank please?” I asked my benefactor’s representative.
“Of course, but your money is already in the bank it was transferred a few minutes ago, your Visa card will allow pretty much any size purchase up to a reasonable sized house.”
-Now that’s what I call a credit card!- I could feel my mind humming in overdrive.
“I think I’m going to need some help here, I need to set myself up and I’ve barely grasped the fact that I’m now rich enough to be in the top 100 in Australia.” I turned to look at Gerry, trying to guess what he could help me with.

“I know,” I said, after mulling over the options for a minute while we sat comfortably sedate in traffic, no sound penetrated the capsule and climate control kept me cocooned as I pondered.
“I want to thank you for your kind assistance and wish to be dropped off at my apartment if you would please, then I think I will assess my options and if I can’t come up with a plan, might contact you further.
Is that a suitable action Gerry?”

“Eminently Peter, it fits in nicely with my plans for the day — which is to secure these papers and complete the office end of the paperwork.
I shall contact you on this Galaxy SIII,” he smiled and passed me a box which when opened revealed a nice new smartphone.

A couple of hours later I had made a little list — things to do.
Buy a new apartment.
Buy some furniture
Buy a new car.
Buy a new vagina.

Sorted, I felt a lot better.
I thought of ringing my mother in UK but it seemed a pointless exercise as all she’d do is blast my ears with her complaints and then cry when I said I had to go.
I’ll go and see her in a few months and that way I’ll get to tell her of my plans.
I can tell my brothers at the same time.

I ended up going downtown to a nice little café, after I’d hit the ATM for a few dollars.
Habitually I drew a few dollars midweek and a few at weekend for my food. I entered 300 in the machine and asked for a balance just to check — the numbers made me feel dizzy.
Funds available: $230.34
Funds in account $42,350,211.34
Credit available $6,004,923.00
I tucked the piece of till roll in my wallet and headed down to the café.
The waitress in the eatery was pleasant and I smiled at her as she wiped down the tables after the breakfast rush — it wasn’t even late enough to be setting up for lunch and I’d gone from oppressed pauper to independently rich.

On the way to the café, I had passed a real estate agency and picked up their booklet of domiciles available for sale or rent.

I idly flicked through framing what I felt I’d like and how much I should spend. It wouldn’t do to tie up too much capital — who am I kidding- real estate here was a sure fire certainty to give good returns.
It suddenly seemed irrelevant — I just wanted a nice little 2 or 3 bed modern apartment with secure parking and a nice view. Maybe a shared BBQ/pool area.

There were a few at around a million or so and I read the articles with a remote feeling of being ridiculous. Until I pulled out the slip and read it again ….
Funds in account $42,350,211.34

The waitress smiled at me.
“Buying a new place?” she nodded at the brochure.
“Oh, umm, yes, I suppose so, my old place sucks and I feel the need for a view.”
“Well it’s a buyer’s market at the moment, don’t forget to haggle,” she smiled again and disappeared behind the counter. I sipped my coffee and read some more.

She reappeared a moment later with my breakfast which consisted of a muffin flecked with blue berries and glowing a soft brown of perfection as the sun caught it.
“Thanks, it looks beautiful.” I was going to add, ‘so do you’ but thought better of it.
Another smile and she was gone.

I felt totally becalmed on a sea of indecision.

I returned to my flat and looking around, decided to pack the few things I wanted to keep and get the hell out — I’d go and book in at the nearest decent Hotel. Pines Resort seemed propitious. While I was in the mood I rand the letting agent and told them I was gone — they were quite rude.
“You will have to pay til the end of the month and could lose your security deposit if the apartment needs cleaning.” I put the phone down before she could say any more.

A quick visit to the bank turned into a marathon. When I walked in and asked the lady on the enquiries to stop my direct debit for the apartment she excused herself after bringing up my account and 2.3 milliseconds later returned with the manager.
“Mr Bright, how nice to see you, could you come this way please?” Obsequious toe rag…

“I guess so, I only have a minute,” I lied.

After offering me his congratulations on my windfall he offered to put me in touch with all sorts of advisors and leeches. I rebuffed his wares and warned him that I wished for no publicity and nor did I give him permission for him to contact his cronies to point them in my direction.
His false smile told me that he’d already thought of it.
“If you have already contacted anyone, I shall be very annoyed and I shall move my money elsewhere” It was the only punishment I could think of.
I could see his face fall, “I suggest you contact them again and tell them to expunge my name from their target list.” He grimaced.
“Now would be a good time — while I’m sitting here.”
It took five minutes — then it was all done.

I left the bank after transferring 42 million into a savings account and advising my plans for using the cash and so on, and assuring the bank manager that if he was a good boy, he would retain my account.
My interest amounted to $4,600 a day so I wasn’t going to quibble about peanuts.
I’d get into investing later.
I returned to my flat and put my small box of mementoes and my suitcase full of clothes (various) in my tiny 10 year old Ford.
Time to go buy me a decent car.

I wasn’t interested in anything gauche or nouveau riche, I wanted a decent fairly quick largish motor. I ended up with a Mercedes E350 wagon.

I asked the guy how long it would take to get it ready.
“And how will you be paying for that sir?” He smiled at me with a toothy ‘as if’ grin.
“Cash” I looked him steadily in the eye. “Unless you don’t want to sell me one in which case I’ll go somewhere else.”
I watched the blood run from his face, $140k is a nice commission bonus when you get a cash sale.
I was asked for my card and it was sorted in a few minutes.
My card was returned to me with the reverence that open ended credit deserves.

I was to pick up the car next day, I asked them instead to deliver it to my hotel and leave the keys and paperwork with the concierge (that would sort them out for sneering at my old Ford when I drove in.)

It was a treat to drive and so quiet and powerful that I felt very satisfied.

Time wears on and it was only a few weeks later I drove into my parking bay under the block where my penthouse apartment looked out across the Coral Sea.
I was still up over the $40m — but only just.

Now I could relax.

I was sitting enjoying my new found peace considering my next list.
Reinventing myself.
I had often thought about my body/mind fit. They didn’t really.
The reason I was on my own and bullied bymy erstwhile boss was because I was different.
I’d thought I was a transvestite and wasn’t very happy about it as a kid, then as I matured and realised that I stopped growing at 15 and kept my willowy soft appearance that maybe I was a bit half and half.

I realised when I graduated that I was at the apex of the bell curve, I had a decent female figure and a reasonable sized meat and two veg. Horns of a dilemma.
I tried to ignore it knowing I didn’t have the time or the money to do anything about it. Then Carl had seen me in my underwear which had a decidedly feminine nature about it — it would, they were all marked with Elle McPherson’s logo.
It was a personal preference and was quite simply warm and comfortable underwear for almost anyone — except Carkl was a bigot with a penchant for bullying and that was my life over — until now.

I wondered what Carl was up to — I phoned the office and chatted at length to Sandra.
“How’s Carl taking my absence?”
Sandra tittered, “I shouldn’t laugh, I’mup to my neck in his bulldust, but it’s funny watching him try to cope in a week with what you did in two days.
He’s been trying to phone you but your phone is never on.”
“I do apologise Sandra, I have just been so busy enjoying myself.”
“What did you do, win the Lotto or something?” Sandra sounded intrigued.
“Well as a matter….” I hesitated. “Sandra, dear sweet thing, how would you like to come and work for me?”
“Sorry?” Sandra sounded like she was looking at the earpiece in case she was holding a banana instead of a phone. “Did I hear you right?”
“No Sandra, I mean it. If I guaranteed you a job for the next 3 years, would you come and work for me? Proper wages not that stupid wage he pays you.”
I could hear her smile before she spoke. “You’re serious aren’t you?”
“Absolutely, never more serious.” I chewed my bottom lip for a second.
“I couldn’t take you on as a receptionist though.”
“Oh?” She sounded crestfallen
“You’d have to be my personal assistant. No, my executive personal assistant. How does that sound.”
“Where are you Peter, I’m going to come and see you.”
“Ok meet you at the Lobster restaurant in Surfers. You know, the one on Elkhorn Avenue.”
“It’ll take me about 30 minutes to drive there, ok?”
“Perfect, I can walk there in that.”
“What from you apartment in Southport? No way.”
“Oh I don’t live there any more, I had to leave.” I sounded sad — I’ can mislead with the best of them.
“You’ve got me really confused.”
“Good, see you in 30 minutes, or else I won’t hire you.” I smiled and hung up as she said. “You’re on.”

I sat in the Restaurant and watched the passers by, Sandra rolled up after about 10 minutes and waved as she spotted me.
“Well you’re looking ok, new duds?”
“Yes, I couldn’t get any credit at the bank unless I dressed better so I invested in a new T short and shorts….” I grinned and offered her thechairnext to mine rather than across the table. I rose and gave her a hug — as I’d often done at the office. She knew it wasn’t anything more than sisterly.

“So what’s going on then?” Sandra got down to brass tacks.
“Well I felt sorry for you working for that idiot and being a flunky so I thought you could work for me for a year or two and maybe get some quals so you can get a decent job later.”
“I’m confused Peter, what will I be doing?”
I sat back for a minute watching her face as she looked quizzically at me.
“What, stop staring at me Peter.”
“I’m going to require something of you.” I reached out and put my hand on hers reassuringly. She almost flinched
“What?”
“A promise.”
“What sort of promise?”
“Confidentiality.”
She grinned like I was pulling her leg. Wha-at? She said, making two syllables out of it.
“Promise”
“Ok, I promise.”
“Promise what?” I urged her.
“Ok, I promise that anything you say to me will remain confidential between you and me. Hey, it’s nothing illegal is it? I won’t promise if it is illegal.” She frowned.
“No it’s not illegal — far from it.” I gripped her hand. I was dying to tell someone about my change in circumstance. Sandra was almost the only person I knew properly enough to tell.
“Ok then: I promise that anything you say to me will remain confidential between you and me.”
“Right, I want you to take a deep breath and let it out.” I waited until she did that and she looked at me even funnier.
“You know the lottery last weekend,” I waited for her to stop shaking her head and then nodding it.
“Don’t tell me you won some money?” She looked excited.
I shook my head, she looked disappointed, “All of it, I didn’t win some of it, I won all of it.” I smiled like a kitten would on discovering the door open.

Here eyes went from one side of my face to the other, “You didn’t….?”
“No screaming, yes I did. All 42 million. Shhhh” I could see her drawing breath for a biggy. She flared her nostrils and blew out staring at the table.
“Wow wowowowow.” Quietly.

The waiter came over, “can I get you something?”
I looked at him and said “ A decent Chardonnay and two glasses please.”
“I’m driving,” Sandra put her hand on my arm.
“Not for an hour or two and if you succumb to my charms and wine.- longer.”
“You’re not allowed to seduce employees.” Sandra grinned as the amazing possibilities opened up in her mind. She held up two fingers “Two glasses.”
The waiter grinned and walked off to get the ice bin and bottle.
“No seductions I’m afraid, in fact when I’ve finished you may not want to work for me.”
Sandra looked at me,” You look terrified, what’s wrong?”
“My win has opened up a possibility for me that I’ve pondered all my life, and I’m asking you to help me because you are my friend and I respect you. I hope that what I tell you is acceptable and we can work together.”
“Now you’ve really got me worried.”
“I can afford to make myself complete now Sandra, and that involves some surgery and some other stuff.”
“Surgery?”
“I’m not doing this very well Sandra, I’m going for a sex change…” I looked at her as she digested this very awkward phrase.
She smiled at me and then grinned. “Oh my God, I never guessed, but I should have.”
She paused for a few seconds. “I accept the job.” And stuck out her hand.
I smiled, shook it and the waiter returned with the wine.

up
113 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

As I speculated, Erin's challenge could go anywhere - NICE START

And as this IS BC, a transgendered hero soon to be heroine is appropriate.

Like Sandra a lot. Peter has a good friend in her. Got a hint maybe at one time she had a *thing* for Peter but never pursued it. Maybe she still does but she does see the woman in him too.

The bank manager sounded a bit pushy but I think he'll come around. The landlord was a bit of a curmudgeon but his ex boss is an ass.

I worry if he finds out about the lottery win Peter may have troubles.

I did note Peter has spend nearly two million in a few days. Though I assume much of it is the condo so he has something of worth for it. Better have insurance on it and the car with huge umbrella coverage against fortune hunters suing him.

So will his dream of becoming a woman work out? Will he continue to fly under the radar of the press who want to sell the lottery winners pictures and story?

Will Peter avoid the flim-flam men and thieves?

Will SHE be a happy and fulfilled woman?

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Nice take on Erin's challenge. Come one. BC needs more entrants! Serious, romantic, thriller, sci-fi, magic, total wacko rush-job groaner.... okay I did THAT one... Have a try.

John in Wauwatosa

Entrants

I've got an idea... and a few days off work... so hopefully can translate the visual sketchesin my mind into comprehensible text on a page that also forms something approaching a plot :) To whet your appetite, the house / B&B is half a mile down the lane in a secluded spot (the seclusion being very plot relevant), and it doesn't involve lottery wins, paranormal occurences / preternatural abilities.

-oOo-

Meanwhile, Peter's now got Sandra on board for the next few years - the spending so far has been largely near-impulse spot purchases, working out what else to spend it on and when will require planning. Transition is top of Peter's list, presumably he (well, she by that time) will then have plans beyond that point other than sitting back and living a life of luxury.

I wonder if either Peter or Sandra have any other contacts at the office - with Carl struggling to cope with Peter gone, he's going to quickly get into deep piles of poo with Sandra gone as well :)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

ah Money!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Money, it can certainly helpful.
But I am sure there still will be waves.

While a few quick purchase to start off a new life make sense, he needs to be careful tho quite few lottery winners end up broke.

Nice story so far. I Wonder where it's going.
:)

Nice Jennifer!

I like where this is going so far. Keep it up hon! (Hugs) Taarpa

Oh my! :) It is fun seeing

him enjoy his lottery winnings. What is really great is that he and Sandra are no longer working with Carl. Wonder what fun he and Sandra will have.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I like where this one is going

How I wish something like this would happen to me, so I could stick it to some people who made my life a living hell, just like Peter is doing to his ex-boss Carl. Alas, I have to live in real life and not in a fantasy!

But I can live vicariousely through the story characters.

Nice story development going here!

Jessica

wishfull

003.JPG

Seeing this story plays itself out near where I live I wish the money could be so easy to win but reality doesn't let that happen, Peter is very lucky to have Sandra for a friend,good story Jennifer.

love and hugs.Carla Bay.

ROO

Hello Carla I'm off back to

Hello Carla
I'm off back to UK and the canalboat in a couple of weeks. Only a 6 month holiday this time!