Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1926

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1926
by Angharad

Copyright © 2013 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“The forecast doesn’t look good for tonight,” I said to Simon when we woke up.

“What, more rain?”

“No, the dreaded white stuff.”

“Oh–at least they get to use the sleds we bought, was it last year?”

“I think we’ve bought some every year–they’ve all got one, the girls and Danny, that is.”

“Why d’you want one as well, then?” he asked and nearly fell out of bed.

“No thank you.”

“We could call up Bath University and you could see if they had a spare dinner plate.”

“What?” I asked sitting up.

“That thing the girl won the medal for in the Winter Olympics.”

“I think it’s called a luge.”

“Yeah, about the size of a dinner plate.” He lifted the duvet and pretended to look at my bum. “Might need one of those they use for carrying a turkey.”

“Eh?”

“Your arse is bigger than hers.”

“Oh thank you, Si, that really helps my self esteem. I don’t go round telling you to buy maternity wear, do I?”

“Men don’t need it, we just go up a size in pants.”

“Huh, I’m in danger of crush injuries if we ever make love again, assuming little Simon can actually reach me.”

“I think I can guarantee that–wanna check, just in case?”

“I don’t think so, thank you, I’ve got to get up and get the kids to school.” It was certainly colder and I thought back to the previous snow episodes, when people had got hurt. Perhaps if I stayed away from the sled runs, it would mean no one got hurt. Or if they did, at least I couldn’t be accused of causing it or sorting it.”

“If we have snow tonight, will you take them out to play with their sleds tomorrow?”

“If I can’t get in to work, I suppose I could. Years ago I’d have taken my sleeping bag and a rucksack full of food and spare clothes to work. Now I’d prefer to come home to my wife and kids.”

“I hope that’s because you miss us, rather than you don’t fancy sleeping on the office floor.”

“I’ve got a bed settee in my office, I don’t need to sleep on the floor.”

“When did you get that?”

“After I slept on the floor last time.”

“Is this a bit of age showing up?”

“No, I just decided I wasn’t going to rough it any longer.”

“Can’t say I blame you, I gave up camping for the same sort of reasons. I’d prefer to sleep in a proper bed with a bathroom nearby.”

“Oh well with four of them and a cloak room here you should be able to find one at night.”

I found one and went to shower after a wee. I dried my hair and dressed then roused the girls. While they were showering, they know what to do now, I just check now and again; I got Danny and Julie up. It was only when Sammi poked her head out of her room and said, “Mummy, it’s Saturday.”

“Is it?” I went back to our radio controlled clock and she was right. They were all up now, and Julie had to go to work anyway. She gets well paid for working a Saturday and she appears to be a popular stylist.

David had ordered loads of stuff from Tesco online and they would deliver it later on. The girls were too awake to go back to bed so I decided we’d have a quick look round the remains of the sales. They each had some money to spend from Christmas, so they got quite excited about spending it.

We had breakfast, and wrapping up warm, and taking Catherine with us, we went off to see what the shops had to offer. By lunch time I’d seen nothing I wanted or fancied. The girls had seen plenty and it was only by some clever management that I persuaded them not to part with their precious pounds in return for rubbish.

Finally they did buy something each, but it was better quality than the things they’d looked at earlier. Coming back through M&S I spotted a pair of ankle boots which looked quite good and the price was excellent–so I bought them and some underpants for Simon, Danny and Tom. They were all reduced in price, so I felt they were a good buy.

Simon, we discovered, when we got home had taken Danny to see Southampton play Spurs or some other big club. I suspect it was expensive, football is–people paying fifty or sixty pounds a ticket for premiership league matches. I didn’t think Bristol Rovers or City were likely to get themselves promoted but I think near neighbours Cardiff were leading the championship league by ten points or something like it. So they’d have a good chance of promotion if they could keep it up.

For those who don’t have much idea of the British football league, there’s the Premiership with the massive clubs like Manchester United, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and so on. Next comes the Championship, with teams like Cardiff aspiring to be promoted to the Premiership. Below that is League One, two and three, and below that various semi-pro or non-league teams. Football is very popular still in this country, even though I tend not to watch it.

David had received and put away the shopping and had also bought a pile of meat from a local butcher, so the big freezers were also full–we have one in the basement and one in the utility room. Given the number of occupants of this habitation, we need to bulk purchase. We also have two large fridges–I mean large–like they have in restaurants, so we can store quite a lot of food. Just as well if it’s going to snow.

David had also started making bread the old fashioned way. Okay, it’s probably nicer than even the bread machine makes but it also takes a long time, proving the dough and everything, which the machine does for you while you do other things.

He usually does it when he’s spending a long time in the kitchen and can then knock out a few loaves, which don’t last long in this house.

Ingrid was busy in their shared cottages, cleaning or something, or she might have been spending time with Hannah, who comes over and plays with the girls sometimes, or she gets one or two friends from her school to come and visit her. She’s one I don’t have to pay to educate.

Did I mention we were going Europe wide with the survey. This didn’t mean I had to visit individual countries because they were doing the same as we’d been doing here, but individually. However, they all fed their results into our study and one of our clever IT people wrote a program which could number crunch huge totals. So we’d be able to produce a Euro-survey result, which was quite exciting. I was especially excited to see dormice results on the continent, which really encouraged me to want to go mousing over there.

The boys came back from their footie game and Simon came to see what I was doing. I had all sorts of printouts and graphs all over my desk and the floor. “What’s all this?” he asked looking at a couple of papers he picked up.

“Careful, you’ll mix them up.”

“Aren’t they collated?”

“Some bits are, we’ve only just got the graph and maps sorted.”

“Sammi,” he called and she loped into the room–she has very long legs–no wonder they wanted her as a model.

“Yes, Daddy.”

“Can you collate all this stuff for your mother?”

“Depends upon what’s wanted.” We sat and discussed it and in the end we had two systems running, one which showed comparisons across Europe of individual species and a volume for each country which had taken part.

It took her most of the evening and all of Sunday to organise, but before I went to bed on the Sunday evening, I had twenty five books of reports and statistics and a memory stick of the total survey. It was huge–the data not the stick–well it was thirty two gigs.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
233 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Synergy in the family

Nice - Cathy needs to do something nice for Sammi. (beside being her mom)

Proving the dough?

I thought that was Simon's job, Cathy just has to sign the checks or wield the credit card or something like that!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Crikey that is a lot of data

32 gigs of data hopefully includes jpgs and gifs and such. But if it was pure text OMG!!!

I guess with the drawbacks comes the benefits of such a diverse household. Sammi has gotten a lot of benefits from becoming part of this family but even so, yes, she should be given something nice. Hope she backed up that memory stick something fierce.

Kim

Nah...

In many systems 32-GB is nothing these days.

Not for pure data

We are not talking active code or something like that. We are not talking Oracle database either.

We are talking relatively mundane data that usually is pure text and I rarely download applications of that size. And I am not talking about monstrous sized JVM images in memory or a VMware image.

A 32GB flash is about on the sweet spot of cost these days but it is still not small. For a non-institutional user, she is dealing with an enormous amount of data.

Kim

Thirty Two

I got one of those thirty-two gigabyte flash drives, myself, last fall... I'd hoped to be able to put a single "Virtual Machine" on it. Sadly, the ones I had to try with were a full 32 GB and the drive - a wee bit short of that. *sighs*

Only 50-60 pounds for seats... Is it that for the BIG teams (like what was it, Manchester United...) too? I could understand (better) folks paying for seats to see games at that price (less than a Broadway Show)... But in the $200+ range that baseball and American football seem to charge? *shudders* (And, I know folks that regularly go to games. I don't get it.)

Thank you! (I'm jealous of Sammi again... Sounds like her torso to leg ratio is nice... Not long torso with shorter legs, like I have. That said, being under 5 feet, 9 inches tall does have it's advantages! If my legs were that much longer, I'd be really tall.)

Annette

Just another weekend

in the Cameron household! Cathy can't remember what day it is, takes the kids shopping, and then gets Sammi involved in doing some collating some dormice data for her.
And a 32 GB memory STICK holds a lot of data. I think, but am not sure, I have seen 64GB and above memory sticks. USB external portable drives are getting capacity wise as large as the internal drives in most computers, and seem to remain about the size of an index card, and perhaps 3/8" thick.
And yes, if it is just memory that is being talked about, 32 GB is not a lot for today's laptops and computers, many of which are already in the terrabyte range.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

I don' count bytes ...

Mega-bytes, giga-bytes, terra-bytes. What the heck, I jus' use them; then, when filled up, I just add more on or piggy-back another laptop. The problem in Port Talbot is the lousy broad-band connections.

Tickets for the best seats in UK premier league football games at the big clubs and local derbys can amount to hundreds of pounds.

Hope Cathy doesn't get too much of the white stuff. When we're kids, the white stuff is fabulous because it offers fun, fun, fun; once we get older and take on responsibilities, it becomes a pain.

MInd you without a doubt, the best pastime in snow is indoor shopping. I was in St David's centre yesterday and, despite the falling snow, from my back door to Cardiff, shopping and back to Port Talbot I never once stepped outside or felt a single snow-flake. That's my kind of winter these days.

Good chapter Ang.

Thinking of you as I sit here at 3 am nursing my pa-in-law.

Hugs.

Bevs,

bev_1.jpg

What if David's

Tesco order is truly needed due to a big snowstorm? Will Cathy need to zap any with the blue light?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Blimy what a herd!

Well she has quite a gaggle of children and other family. Maybe she should consider it a Kingdom or duchy or some such thing?

Jolly Good then.

Gwendolyn

Cathy is not

alone in getting her days wrong, A few years ago i actually got to work before it dawned on me that here was a reason why there did not seen so much traffic on the road on my drive to work. Believe me when i say that was a mistake i only made once...

Kirri