Pop Pop and the Unexpected Bridesmaid - Part 4 - Mom Wants Her Daughter

Printer-friendly version

Several officials, two were security from the National Parks and one was with the FBI, were still insistent we leave or be arrested… “Before you disband or arrest us you might want to check with officials from the Senate as they were invited to speak before the Senate.”

Pop Pop’s phone rang; he became sad and began to approach me… Pop Pop took my hand and asks me to sit and I knew it was something else. “Tell me, I’m not a baby, I want to know what’s up.”

“Your mother has had another heart attack.” I looked for a suggestion about how she's doing, but Grandpa hugged me and couldn’t speak, but cried instead. We cried together… “How is sh, do you know? (pause) She hasn’t died has she, I should be with her.” Carrie took me and Mr. Gillette was with Pop Pop.

Pop Pop and the Unexpected Bridesmaid
— 4 Mom wants Her Daughter



By Jessica C

Pop regained his composure and shared with me that my Mom was alive but in very serious condition. I ask because his expression didn’t change, “Is my mom likely to die?” There's a silence that ruled the atmosphere. “Is there any way I can get to her?”

Bruce Gillette steps forward, “Will, I am making arrangements, hopefully, it will be arranged soon and in motion.” The security people’s attitude for some reason has changed and they're supportive of what was going on.

Carrie came forward and discretely talked with Pop and Bruce. I heard Carrie say she was willing to help me change back to Bryce. I was confused when I heard Bruce say maybe I shouldn’t. I was frustrated, “I just want to get to her.” I didn’t care how I looked; to me, it was secondary to getting to my Mom.

Two other uniformed people showed up, the woman spoke, “The Senate Committee wants you to know: Your presence has made a difference, they are not ready to state the substance of what will be done but it will have substance. They want you to know their prayers are with you” and lastly “Mr. Gillette’s helicopter has been cleared to land here and should be here soon.” The sound of an approaching helicopter was first heard and then seen as it approached and landed close by.

Carrie and Jeanette, along with Brenda and others thanked me for all I did, but now my only concern was for my Mom. Bruce handed Carrie a letter as he took me to the helicopter. The helicopter had six seats for passengers above that needed for its crew of three people. Mr. Gillette asked me if I wanted Carrie to come with us. But I said, “I would like it, but it is not realistic to expect; she's is very important, and I am just one person.”

Mr. Gillette left the helicopter and went over to Carrie, she quickly handed the letter and other things over to Jeanette. They talked a moment and she quickly came to the helicopter and hopped in taking a seat. Mr. Gillette visited with Jeanette, Carrie Underwood’s assistant: he gave her a hug and came back to the helicopter. We were soon in the air as my Pop Pop was on one side of me and Carrie was hugging me from the other.

The hostess said it would be just over an hour before we land at the hospital. She asked what she could do for us and then brought water and nutrition bars. “Brianna, please use these so you keep up your strength for when you see your mother. You will likely have a lot of emotions so I would like to help fix your make-up so the first thing your mother will see is her beautiful daughter.” I looked to Carrie and then to Pop Pop.

My attention was now focused on my Mom and presenting myself to her. I took pride in cleaning my face and making it new. I looked to Bruce Gillette now and then knowing he had the most recent information. He smiled and I would relax. “What is the word you are hearing?”

He looked to my grandpa and then shared she is stable and holding her own; her condition remains serious but they’re telling us she knows you are coming and is resting so she can see you.” I took in a big breath of joy but it was bittersweet. All they were saying was we had time. I knew they could not tell me how much. I was getting nervous and fidgety and soon became afraid I needed to go to the bathroom before the plane landed.

Carrie and the hostess both guessed why my expression was as it were. They talked to me in a separate row of seats. Carrie encouraged me to relax on her shoulder and to listen. She sang to me ever so softly and it wasn’t long and we were being advised to buckle up for the landing. We landed on the roof of a large NYC medical center, not carrying a patient but visitors. I bet that hasn’t happened often.

We caught the elevator to the 15th floor where both the Intensive Care and CCU units were. Mom was in the Cardiovascular Care Unit. Carrie escorted me to the Lady’s room reminding me to go as well as to wash up before seeing my Mom. Pop Pop would wait in the waiting area as my Mom was his daughter-in-law.

I opened the door to the unit after getting permission to come in. A nurse greets me with her warm smile and good disposition, “You’re Mom is eager to see you. We took out the breathing tube and gave her an oxygen mask so she can visit more easily.”

She was in bed 3; dad was by her on the other side, as I poke my head in and entered as a shy and quiet girl. Mom smiled and I am sure my face lit up as well. Our hands warmly greeted one another and I reached over to give her a kiss on the cheek. It was the first time I left a red mark of lipstick. Her voice was muffled by the mask, “You are as pretty as I hoped Brianna.”

“Thanks, Momma, they said you wanted to see your daughter. I was dressed up because we met with the Senate Committee. I don’t understand but they say I did good or is it well.” Mom smiled and I asked, “How are you feeling? I was scared when I heard you were in the hospital.” I wasn’t sure what she knew or didn’t about her condition.

“Yes, I had another heart attack. None of them are good but this was worse than some. I’m okay for now. It is good to see you. Have your brothers seen you already,” she smirked guessing what I was in for?

“No they haven’t seen me but hopefully seeing Carrie Underwood will quiet down their response.” I hadn’t thought about seeing them. I looked up to see my Dad, he was warm, but I saw confusion as he saw me. I kind of naturally moved around the bed and gave him a hug and kiss. The hug was normal for Brice. Dad excused himself, “I would like to visit with Pop and Bruce Gillette and allow you to visit, as mother and daughter, before I get my son back.”

“Dad, would you see if Carrie Underwood can come in for a moment,” I asked?

I pulled up a chair and sat down with my Mom and took hold of her hand. “Very nicely done young lady,” she said. I wasn’t sure what she was talking about so I asked. Mom said, “You sat down like a young woman, Brianna, not plunking yourself down like Brice. What did you think about your dad’s comment about getting back his son?”

“I was planning to change on my way, but Mr. Gillette and Pop Pop said you wanted to see your daughter. Do you want me to change now?”

“Actually, I am not going to be able to visit long and I was hoping you would remain Brianna at least until sometime tomorrow. How has your experience been?”

“I could tell you a couple of things,” it was Carrie speaking from behind at the entrance to Mom’s bed area. “Hi, Mrs. Greimann, I am Carrie Underwood.”

“Call me Alice, please. I am glad to meet you, and I hear she has an excellent role model.”

Carrie smiled, “Well, I’ve taken a few lessons from her as well. She is a good little singer and plays off her audience. And she was exceptional at the Senate in speaking up for single moms. We had just been told she has made a difference when we heard about you. She loves her Mom and as Brianna or Brice has to be someone you are proud of.”

“What do you know about Brice? And what do you think about Brianna, is she for real?”

“Mom, what do you mean is she real? Why would you even ask that” I asked?

“Alice, I don’t want to take time from your daughter, but Brice was the first one I met and who got his grandfather to offer me a ride to North Carolina. He is a charming young man, but it was Brianna’s voice singing as we rode to Raleigh. I did not expect to ever see the girl, but Brice volunteered to help out the Storms, and to his surprise that meant being a junior bridesmaid.”

“He was already invited to sing with me, but Brice could not and Brianna could. You know how well she did. But that wasn’t what you asked; you asked if Brianna is real. Yes, she is real, the Storm girls believe so; she made a believer out of Jeanette and me, and her grandfather sees in her, grandmother Grace.”

Mom looked into space with the last revelation, and then spoke, “You always missed your grandmother didn’t you?”

“I think she and everyone wanted to see a daughter when I was born. You love me, I know that but I wasn’t a daughter,” I said.

Carrie excused herself and went out to the waiting room. Mom said, “She thinks a lot of you Brianna.” I smiled, but the nurse came in saying we needed to wrap things up for now within five minutes. “Mom, do you still want to see Brianna when we visit next?”

She said yes and we visited some more. “If they would let you sleep with me tonight would you, Brianna?” With the name Brianna, I knew we both wanted the same thing a chance for me to be with her as a daughter.

It was late afternoon when I got to the waiting room. I discovered then I was to remain niece Brianna as long as I was so dressed. My Pop Pop and Dad told me about my uncle possibly having a daughter. The hospital had kept it unknown that Carrie and I were there. Since NYC is not a major country music area, she might not be readily recognized.

We did enjoy the evening news and the little they said about a Senate Committee hearing, a gathering on the Washington Mall area, and the helicopter flying in. Our friends and others there did a good job of not sharing my name or where we went. The compassion of Carrie Underwood did not go unnoticed. I gave Carrie a big hug and thanks.

Pop and my Dad explained to my brothers what was going on, but it didn’t fully prepare them for seeing me as a girl. “Wow, broth… sis,” one brother recognized my resemblance to my Mom when he was little. “I am sorry but I have trouble with you looking like that.”

“Well, that is tough until Mom says I can change out of my girl clothes.”

Carrie nudged me to say, “Speaking of girl clothes we need to do a little shopping so we have something to change into.” My brothers were a bit disgusted to hear that. I saw a bit of a problem growing. The next time into the Coronary Care Unit, it would be my brothers and dad’s turn. So Carrie and I were to be excused to get some clothes. Bruce Gillette said he had rooms for us for the night.

A nurse had come out to let me know I was going to be allowed, “Against the rules to sleep with your mom for a few hours. Then when we need to take care of her you will be gone for the rest of the night.” I thanked them and agreed to their terms. Carrie told me, she and I were to share a small suite.

We went out and found a store and got two outfits each as well as nightgowns. Mr. Gillette had given me money, but Carrie paid for everything. When we bought the needed toiletries I had already gotten the cashier to agree I could pay for them. Carrie and I sat down for a meal at a small neighborhood restaurant. One of the daughters of the owner had recognized Carrie but didn’t say anything until we were ready to leave.

Carrie gave her a photo that she autographed and allowed a picture to be taken of her with the girl and her family. They would not display it for a few days for our sake. That agreement would go out the window when we returned the next day. Carrie said she did not have a concert until Sunday so she would stay another day or two as long as I was Brianna.

We got back to the hospital shortly after 7:00 p.m. and my brothers had been in to see Mom. She was doing well for the long day it had been. Previously, when she was in the hospital in a serious condition we were too young to go in and see her. I felt bad she was sick but at least now I could return some of the love she showed me. My Dad said my brothers did well with the exception of the times they saw me.

They didn’t think it was funny or nice when I offered to do their nails or make-up. But one girl possibly a year older perked up when I mentioned the idea. So I asked if she wouldn’t mind if I did her nails or makeup. She looked at her dad to make sure he would not get angry. I had a plum red nail polish that would look nice with a new stick of lipstick the same color. Carrie shaped her nails and I painted them.

We both could tell it was a real treat for her. Carrie had begun to brush out her hair as I painted her nails. Her dad spoke up, “Thanks, she doesn’t get much help with her mom usually sick.” I felt bad as I had girl experiences of dressing up and girlfriends that helped me learn unlike her.

Carrie asked her if she liked music and would ever like to go to a concert. The girl’s face lit up as she recognized Carrie. “You are one of my favorites and I liked that movie you were in with the surfer girl who lost her arm.” Even her dad remembered that movie and liked it.

One of my brothers thought he was a tough rocker, said, “That was a girl movie; even the girl who lost her arm was sweet and pretty.”

The girl’s dad said, “I hope you never have to be so tough. Between that movie and my wife I don’t look at girl stuff as being so easy.” My Dad was upset with my brother; my brother knew he was wrong but he's not good at apologizing and looking weak. He and my other brother went for a walk.

Just before 8:00 when visitors were asked to leave, my Dad and Pop Pop went to see my Mom before they left. I went to change in the restroom and discovered that Carrie had thought to get me a robe as well. I took off my makeup, cleansed, and moisturized my skin. When I went in to see Mom in the CCU Dad wasn’t all that comfortable with how much of a girl I was. Pop Pop said, “Doesn’t she look really nice son?” Dad said yes and meant it, but I knew it did not come easy for him.

The nurses let the side railing down for me to scoot into the bed next to Mom she was tired but my being next to her perked her up. One of the nurses said, “You are good medicine for your mother.” Mom spoke up and agreed, and then I saw the pleased look on my dad’s face.

Pop reminded my parents of the time I visited my great grandmother who was alive but ill; it was when I was a little tot. “Remember lifting him up and placing him in bed with great-grandma Gussie?” I remembered it too but I hadn’t ever remembered who the woman was. Neat, I had been in bed and the arms of my great-grandmother.

My Dad and others left as visiting hours were over. My Dad planned to spend the night but didn’t want my Mom to know. He gave mom and me each a goodnight kiss, my kiss was for his daughter as well. Mom and I visited most of the next hour until the nurse said we needed to rest and be quiet.

We fell asleep around 9:00 and it was midnight when a new crew of nurses checked on Mom that I left and changed. My brothers had gone to the hotel with Pop Pop instead of going home and my Dad would sleep in the waiting room. I changed and got a taxi to the hotel just on the edge of Central Park. Carrie had stayed up to greet me. She was talking to Jeannette who was now on Rocky Mountain time.

Carrie and I visited with her asking many questions as she wanted to know my mom. She complimented my family but we talked openly about the hard time they were having with me as a girl. “If I stay as my Mom’s daughter, it will be hard going back to being a boy again.” Carrie hugged me as she understood and agreed.

“Do you think you could live as Brianna if allowed to,” she asked? I thought it was a strange question; as I was too close to see the transformation taking place in me. Carrie waited for me to respond and so I thought about it.

If my mother died, I thought that would end the thought, and if she lived my brothers and probably my Dad would find it hard to live with me being a girl. “What would you think about living with the Storms for a while,” she asked?

“Do you know something that people aren’t talking to me about?” I knew people had a habit of talking about me without talking to me. It was the downside to being the youngest. “I would have stayed longer with the Storms if I could have,” I said.

I wondered if anyone had called them to say Pop and I were safe or tell them what has happened to my mother. Carrie and I both changed for bed. Carrie took a little solace in seeing me tucked in. I truly felt like I was becoming a shy girl as it moved me to be with Carrie, and getting the attention I was.

Carrie whispered as she left my room, “I was very proud of you this morning before that Senate Committee and even prouder of the daughter who was there for her Mom.” I was glad there was an extra pillow as I needed something to hug and hold onto. I was weeping but fell asleep in a matter of minutes.

I woke bright and early, thinking quickly of my mother and called the hospital with the number given me. Mom was stable but resting, they gave my call to my father and I visited as Brianna. I had not noticed that until I was hanging up and Carrie was there. “It is okay,” she said, “your father knows now who you are is a good and real person. Your mother wants to know you right now, to do that your father needs to know you. He’s your father and your grandpa’s son; he can handle it.”

Pop Pop called in a short bit; we’re to meet him and Mr. Gillette in the hotel restaurant. But Pop Pop first wanted to talk to me on the phone.

“Grandpa, could you come in with me sometime today when I see my mom?” I told him, “Pop Pop, I called the hospital this morning to ask about my Mom and they gave me to dad but it was me Brianna who visited with him. He didn’t say anything, but I am sure he was disappointed.”

“How could your dad be disappointed you called there as Brianna? Do you think your older brothers thought enough to call,” Pop asked? “Don’t read in anything that you don’t know is there. Your brothers are already eating breakfast, don’t you worry about them either, just be there for one another and your Mom.”

“I know and he knows you love your father, but the most precious person to you is greatly ill. Be there for your Mom, he will love you for that. She wants her daughter but understands you as his daughter looks like his mother whom he still misses. The fact that you resemble your Mom whom he’s scared of losing that adds to the emotions of the moment.” That was helpful to hear.

Down at breakfast, I realized the fame of the hotel we were staying at as a number of people I recognized to be really important. A number of people recognized Carrie and either came over to say hello or sent written greetings via the waiter. It was after 9:00 when we got to the hospital. My brothers and I were to visit my mother next and Dad went with his dad and Mr. Gillette for his breakfast.

I waited at the CCU door for a nurse to go in or come out. I asked permission to sit with my Mom and be quiet. She was awake as the nurses and doctors did this and that. They were nice and warm but said little had changed save one difficult time this morning which told them she was not yet safe. Mom and I held hands and smiled and shared small talk. She was glad to see my hair was not in my eyes and my mannerisms matched my “beautiful appearance”.

“Mom do you really think I am pretty or is that just because I’m your daughter,” I asked? Her smile spoke first and the pride of a mother was indeed there.

“Like was said, I see some of the younger women, that I use to see in the mirror and I see the beauty of your Grandma Grace as well,” her gay voice said. “The handsome Bryce will take some time and effort to show.” I paused with worry and my mother knew it. “Yes, as it has taken an effort to bring out Brianna, so it will take time and work for Brice to be readily seen. You can take off the make-up and redo your hair to a boy’s cut, but your skin will still be soft and your complexion, hair, and ears will not immediately change.”

“But Mom, Dad, and my brothers want me to change now,” I said seeking her direction.

Mom smirked, “It won’t be the first time your brothers or dad did not immediately get their way with you. The way you are is what I would like right now and I appreciate it. Tell me what do you like about being a girl?”

“Well, I liked dressing up; you should have seen the bridesmaid gown. The attention the Storms, my sisters, and Carrie and Jeanette have given me. Brianna can even sing and people enjoy it. I wish I could share that with you.” Mom smirked again and she knew something I didn’t, moms have that look. “I went to a salon and that was really neat. Just meeting Carrie was awesome but to do it as a girl that I see as a nice change.”

“Well you know, I told your grandpa to bring that gown because I wanted to see you in it. Mr. Gillette says it should be here today. I hope you will model it for me and maybe even sing to me. You said something about looking up to Carrie and not feeling bad was there someone you felt bad about doing that with?”

It felt awkward and I was afraid about how much to share or trust with my mom. I didn’t want to stress her more but neither did I want to lie. I gulped, “I liked the women figure skaters growing up; they’re so graceful and it is hard work despite their being beautiful. Then there is you, its okay for a boy to look up to his mom for just being his mom, but to say, I want to be like you is not what other boys want to hear.”

Mom smiles and pulled me in for a hug. One of Mom’s alarms went off and it brought the nurses quickly. They wanted me to go out to the waiting room, but Mom held my hand and said, “She needs to stay a moment. She can’t leave afraid.”

Mom’s machines were reset and any problem had passed. I gave her a kiss and went out to the waiting room feeling better. I plopped down next to the brother I was closest too and wrapped an arm around him. There was a pause but he took my hand and I knew my big brother was there for me.

“Hey, Bri is it? Know that we’re there for Mom, so it’s okay for you to be a girly boy another day or two,” Rob said. To me, that was a backhanded compliment but he didn’t know that. It told me however he would have trouble accepting me as a sister. I wasn’t planning on staying a girl but I was to sing for Carrie when she came to the PNC (Garden State) Arts Center in late summer.

Bruce Gillette received a call stating Pop’s car and my gown had arrived. He asked Carrie, “Would you mind going to the Hotel with Brianna and help her into the gown and to do her make-up right?”

“I haven’t gotten to see her in the gown, it should be a lot of fun,” Carrie said taking hold of my hand and tugging me. I was excited but I did not want to look so in front of my brothers. “I will give you an Academy Award Nomination for not looking excited.” I giggled as we were going down the elevator and I gave Carrie a big hug. Carrie told a woman in the elevator, “She’s going to change into a bridesmaid gown to show her mother.”

The woman asked for a description of the gown and Carrie was surprised by how I was able to describe it. I had remembered Marcy describing it over the phone to a friend. I described the satin and lace, the angle cut of the hemline, the colors including my shoes and even my flowers. Carrie laughed, “She won’t have the flowers with her this time.”

The woman asked, “Is this the first time her mother has seen her dressed as a bridesmaid?” When we said yes, she reached into her purse and gave Carrie $25. “Make sure she has some nice flowers in her hand, her mother deserves the whole thing.” I was tearing as I thanked her. “You made my day young lady, it is well worth it. I’m a mother I know”

“Brianna your make-up,” Carrie said as she handed me some tissues. I blotted my eyes and Carrie called me a raccoon, and then assisted me in cleaning up my face. “I have some mascara we will use when you get dressed.”

We were back to the hotel and the people at the desk had my gown and clothes and they rang for a bellhop to help take it up to our suite. Carrie told them what we were going to do. The desk manager said she would be happy to send a person to help me if we wanted. Carrie asked, “Do you have a beautician who could help her with her hair and make-up?”

“We have a very good young lady, but it is extra.”

“You offered so we are willing to pay what you think is reasonable.”

We were soon up to the room and Carrie gave the bellhop a nice tip. I got the gown and took it out of its plastic casing. While it is a nice gown, I knew by Carrie’s experience, it was nothing special. But she was excited for my sake as well as my mother’s. I did not know where the strapless bra was and we had to look. There was a knock at the door and the beautician came in. I was afraid that without the bra it would be too easy for her to know I was really a boy.

I was about to speak up and share when Carrie found my bra. I sighed in relief and then headed off to the shower. My breast forms were appropriate for my age so it wasn’t surprising that I could feel underneath them as I washed that area taking my shower.

Today during my shower the feeling had grown and brought sensual feelings I had not previously experienced. The feelings were very good for a young woman but not a boy hoping to go back to being a boy. The thought of going back to being a boy was pale in comparison to what I was a teenager was experiencing. If I was worried that my male parts wouldn’t function because of my feminine mindset, I needed not to worry. But I did need to work harder to clean myself off.

I showered well and used some powder as an added help. I was in my bra and panties as Carrie helped me into my gown. Like before as the gown descended over my body I was bathed in joy and femininity. It felt so good being a girl. The gown was in place, zipped and hooked as I spun around, enjoying being dressed up once again. The beautician used some towels over my gown as she brushed out my hair and did my make-up.

I felt like one of those Precious Moments figurines with my makeup done lightly and glowing with perfection. My hair cascaded down upon my shoulders. I was lucky to have the beautician as my hair had grown just enough to make working with the extensions a bit tricky though that much more eloquent. Gathering some accessories including jewelry and a small purse I was near ready to go. My heels had a scuff or two but I felt they were manageable.

Fortunately for me, Tess the beautician did not and called the desk for someone to help us. I was impatient so when I got to the lobby I was taken aside as someone took the marks off the shoes. I giggled as I was getting into a taxi and people were taking pictures of me with Carrie Underwood being there but going unnoticed.

We found two small bouquets of flowers that we bought before going up to see my Mom. We first walked into the waiting room and my family was both greatly impressed and unsettled with how good I looked. Rob watched what he said as there were plenty of other people there. Pop Pop came up and hugged me and complimented me, “You look even more exquisite today than you did at the wedding.” He asked how we did that and Carrie told about the beautician.

Dad had called back to the CCU and found it was okay to go back to see Mom a bit early. Carrie and another woman in the waiting area helped in combining the two bouquets together and gave me pointers in holding them. Just before we entered the CCU unit a woman asked me to turn around. It was the woman who paid for the flowers wanting to take a picture.

She smiled and wished me well as I went into the unit. Mom was sitting up in bed as I entered. My heart melted to see the glow of her face. A few nurses looked in and were delighted to see my Mom so happy. The nurses asked me to go by my Mom for another picture, more than a few were taken.

“Well, young lady, can I hear if you sound as beautiful as you look.” Carrie came back to the unit with a person carrying a guitar, he was said to be a music therapist.

I knew as we came from the hotel Carrie had an outfit in her hand but was surprised that she was already changed and looking extra nice as she came through the door. We sang one of Carrie’s songs as well as a song of faith. I asked my Mom to sing the second song with us. She made it through the second verse and listened to the rest.

Mom pointed out a loop on the gown that allowed me to hold it up and out. She asked the music therapist to play a soft dance tune and I danced for a short time with my dad. I felt like a young princess dancing with the king. Even my Dad was happy as we danced. Pop Pop cut in just before the guitarist was going to stop. He played through part of the tune one more time.

The men excused themselves as Carrie and I sat for a short visit. Mom was delighted to visit with her daughter and introduce me to anyone and everyone who entered her area. I stayed dressed up the remainder of the day. Carrie was asked to sing to the children in the pediatric units and she asked me to go with her to sing some as well.

Once again the children stole my heart and I enjoyed giving them attention. As I was singing, I saw a boy singing along though it was most definitely a girl’s song. I sat next to him as we sang together. He did very well and it tickled my heart until another boy made fun of him. I knew I had to be sensitive to both boys, but did not want it to pass without a comment.

I looked at the offending boy and he knew what he had done. Without any arm-twisting, he said, “Gilbert, I apologize and not only did you sing well but you show more courage than most of us.” Gilbert smiled and simply said, “Thank you.”

When we got back to the waiting area, they and my Mom knew where we had been. “We hear you can sing now as well as be a pretty girl.”

A woman in the waiting area asked, “And what type of compliment is that?”

He scrambled to cover himself. “She’s the same age as my younger brother and he could never sing and I thought they were both alike. Not only is she now pretty but they say she can sing,” my brother said in response.

“Sounds like she’s lucky that she is your cousin because you are kind of down on your younger brother,” she responded. My brother and I both paused at what she said. Carrie said we would be happy to sing one more time but we needed to catch our breath. The people in the waiting area became like extended family as time passed and we heard the stories of those they were there for. I found myself snuggled up next to my Pop Pop, looking through old copies of People and Seventeen. My interest in Seventeen was not lost on my brothers or Pop Pop, but Pop Pop was more content with my interest.

It dawned on me that my brother called me his cousin, an idea Pop Pop or Mr. Gillette had first shared. I looked around and Mr. Gillette was gone. I asked where and Pop Pop said he had business in NYC. He’s going back to Washington, D.C. tomorrow. “I need to remember to thank him for his help.” I continued, “Pop Pop why did Mr. Gillette comment about you flying in the helicopter?”

“I had never flown before. Mr. Gillette is one of my old friends and he had wanted me to go with him to Egypt or Korea where he helped build dams, but I never went because I don’t ever fly,” Pop said with a smile. “I still don’t. And if you tease me, I won’t be your Pop Pop.” I smiled and gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I made no promises.

I had been back to visit with Mom and the nurses told me she hadn’t eaten her lunch. I joked, “Get me a tuna fish sandwich, some yogurt and fruit and I will get her to eat.” They came back a short time later with the tuna salad sandwich, two yogurts and a small bowl of strawberries, blueberries and a banana. I asked for and received another small bowl.

I cut up the fruit into the two bowls and mixed yogurt into both. Ma smiled as she ate half of the sandwich and yogurt and fruit and I ate the other half. A nurse came in surprised to see Mom eating. I said, “She doesn’t like eating alone, you should have my Dad eat with her.” The nurse said that patients usually didn’t like to eat in front of visitors. “Neither does she but I didn’t ask and I ate with her.” My Mom smiled and remarked on my wisdom; “You have taught me many things,” I commented in response.

Mom and I talked more, especially as mother and daughter. After the nurses told me visiting time was past, I asked if I should be changing back to Brice. She called for the nurse and asked if we could have more time. Then she asked me to be seated again.

“I talked to Mrs. Storm because I am not sure this is a good time for Brice to be back. If something should happen or if I am convalescing, it takes time and energy. It would be awkward for Brice to be changing. It would be easier for me and our family if Brianna stayed. You might want to change out of your gown, but it is helpful just now to have Brianna around.”

I was not sure why she mentioned Ruth Storm and so I asked, “Why would we need the Storms to know?”

“If someone were to ask where you live right now it would be good to know where you could go. If this drags out,” Mom said. “It might even be good for you to go to the Storms for the summer.”

“Are you saying you want me to be a girl,” I asked?

“Brianna, you appear to be a girl in more than appearance. You seem to be happy again and I haven’t seen you like this for a long time. Dad and I know you have been into my stuff. All I am asking right now is for you to remain Brianna so you and I continue to talk.”

I went back to the waiting room when the visit was over and wanted to take a walk with Carrie, but everyone wanted to go and eat. Dad planned to take my brothers home tonight and he wanted Pop and me to stay at the hotel for the time being. Mr. Gillette and Carrie planned to stay tonight but leave tomorrow.

I knew, for now, I was staying as Brianna. When I finally got to go back to the hotel to change Carrie went with me. “Your Mom and Dad wanted me to give this to you,” Carrie said. “Your sister Marcy will be coming tomorrow to stay with you for a while.”

To be continued…

up
163 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Brianna

Great Story and looking foreward to more!

Richard

Can't see

I worry under the present system about getting to see comments
JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

love this story...

Andrea Lena's picture

...I hope Brianna is as glad as I am that she's staying as Brianna. :) Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Andrea and Taarpa thanks for comments

Brianna is glad but in this story, as in my life, it takes awhile for Brianna to accept and embrace the change without reservation. Yes the sooner Brianna does so the better and easier for all. This struggle will remain a while longer. Right now the circumstances of her Mom's health is her excuse not to do so.

I am sorry acceptance did not come earlier. Having no sisters worked against Brianna in seeing herself; the other side is to learn being a girl is not so much about appearance. Even as a TG person early in my life that was too much my perception.

Hugs, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Objectivity...

Andrea Lena's picture

...especially in the area of gender issues? So much of what we believe about ourselves, true or false, is influenced not only by others but by our self talk and our doubts and misgivings. It helps to have someone to talk to; immensely. I first came to the solid conclusion of my gender identity after talking with my first therapist. She called me 'drea, which got me crying. "Why the tears? It's who you are, after all." Thank god for folks who speak into our lives.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

oh Jess....

So happy to see another episode of this one. Really enjoyed this chapter. Mom really loves her new Daughter, and I think Brianna enjoys being her Daughter. Your doing good girl, keep it up! (Hugs) Taarpa

If not for these events,

Brianna would not exist.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine