Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1906

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1906
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

After our friendly plod had pushed off leaving me two cups of tea and several plain chocolate Hobnobs lighter: I sat down to read the paper, Tom having done the easy crossword, I thought I’d have a go at the cryptic. It felt more challenging than usual because I hadn’t done one for weeks. So to build myself up to it, I glanced through the paper.

I read about the two female medical students in Delhi who’d been attacked by a gang of men while riding home from the cinema on a bus. One had been critically injured being raped repeatedly and then beaten with iron bars. It seemed I had some misapprehensions about India. It’s a huge country and parts of it are very poorly developed so one assumed if this sort of thing went on it would be in the hills somewhere with a general lawlessness, not in the capital.

Seems I was wrong. According to the article, women in Delhi take awful risks in travelling at night, even reasonably high caste young women as these must have been and that women are treated as very much second class. This apparently in the largest democracy in the world. I suspect it opens up a whole new meaning to the word democracy, and none of it would be acceptable to a modern European woman.

I sat and reflected at the anger I felt as a woman, on behalf of these two young women, one of which had died. The public were demanding action and riots had happened, though I suspected nothing would happen other than lip service like the US with supposed racial integration and lynchings up into the Sixties and perhaps later of black men.

The world has been populated by humans of one sort or another for 400,000 years, unless of course you believe Archbishop Usher in which case it’s about six thousand years. Personally, I suspect the good cleric was mistaken in his calculations and I’m sure his modern day successor would have no difficulty in agreeing with me. Either way, we should be ashamed of ourselves as a species, we stopped evolving morally about the same time as we stopped living in caves.

I looked at the paper and everywhere there was mayhem and murder. Twenty odd soldiers in Pakistan executed by the Taliban–why? What does it prove, except militant Islam is as disgusting as militant anything else?

The shootings in that school in America, one or two since and the intransigence of the gun lobby to understand logic; but then, if you need ten guns to feel safe in your home, you might be living in the wrong place.

In Mexico and other Latin American countries the death toll from drug wars is hundreds of thousands–it’s unbelievable. Even in damp but relatively safe England, we aren’t really safe. A couple of people have been murdered since Christmas, one an elderly organist going to church to play for midnight mass. What for? How could killing a sixty eight year old man achieve anything but a short term power trip for a couple of thugs, one of whom is about fourteen? It defeats any coherent thought I can offer except pure disgust.

And to cap it all, the frigging IRA are at it again, planting a bomb under a copper’s car–they don’t like people enjoying peace and quiet.

What is wrong with people? None of this could happen if most of us practised what we preached, instead we hold double standards because our main interest is ourselves and our greed for power or resources while we preach against those we fear or dislike or use to distract against too much attention while we feather our own nests.

If ever there was a time for a cleansing by a divinity, I should think we’d be about due again. Never mind Sodom and Gomorrah, we are far more sophisticated and educated now, and we know so much more about right and wrong. I despair for humanity because we have ideas above our station, we are apes. Apes with technology. There is no god of any sort and if there was, greed would have killed him off long ago.

So why do we care about hiding our nastiness, why don’t we just go and take whatever we want and ignore any morality whatsoever–it would make life a bit easier. Instead of worrying about the sick and starving in Africa we could just let ’em starve or die, use the money we’d save to buy more things we don’t need, like more guns–we’d probably need them because the Chinese would be on the march, needing our resources to fund their excessive need.

Eventually there would be a huge and catastrophic war probably with weapons of mass destruction which would achieve one good point–it would thin out the two legged vermin for century or two. Instead, I think I’d almost welcome an asteroid strike and hope it killed me and my family immediately, because I wouldn’t want to live in the aftermath and I’m not sure how much longer I wish to in today’s climate.

Hypocrite? Probably, I mean I live comfortably from a system which I believe is corrupt but it enables me to do small acts of kindness when I can. It’s all a total waste of time because the forces of darkness seem always to grow stronger whatever happens because they only exist in men’s hearts–this I know. Only man has the capacity to distinguish between good and evil, because it’s the duality of our natures. It has nothing to do with all the bollocks of religion–it’s pure human stuff–but then so is religion. Those who can’t see that haven’t smelt the coffee and I don’t mean the stuff Tom makes–though that is pretty evil in itself.

I caught sight of my own face in the window, reflected in a slightly distorted way by the double glazing. I could almost feel the anger reflecting off myself–what was the point of existence–just to make up the numbers–or to allow those who had religion to smile smugly in their conceit of understanding? There wasn’t one–except as Richard Dawkins’ said–‘procreation’. Yeah, like that makes no more sense than the religious nuts.

I was feeling lower and lower, almost ready to expire from a broken heart. Had all my optimism, my struggle to become myself, my desire to love and be loved been a waste–a vain glory?

The rain lashed against the windows and Tom dashed in with Kiki and several soaking children–even feeding the ducks was now negative.

“Whit a storm,” he declared shaking his coat while trying to stop the dog bouncing about the place with her large dirty feet.

“Mummy, we’s aww wet,” declared Meems and I stirred myself from my lethargy to get some towels.

“Whit’s thae matter?” asked my perceptive adopted dad.

“I think I’m tired of this world.” I offered distributing towels to the children and accepting an armful of wet coats and anoraks to hang to dry.

“Whit?” he looked at me in astonishment.

“You heard me, the wickedness of men–at times it’s too much.”

“Oh, is it noo? Sae whit are ye goin’ tae dae, just sit here and let it come f’ ye?”

I shrugged my shoulders–I had no plans.

“Frankly, I’m disappointed in ye. Ye’ve the most wonderful bairns to bring up and ye’re goin’ tae chuck in thae towel? Just like that–no attempt to stop it.”

“I’ve spent my whole life fighting it–it’s all a waste of time and effort–the system is run by men who perpetuate the darkness.”

“Aye, but ye’ve ken’t that f’years.”

“I’m tired.”

“Too bad–d’ye think I’m goin’ tae let ye jus abandon these children because you feel tired? We all get tired, those of us who can see whit is really going on–those of us who try tae spread love and decency–because we honestly believe in them. D’ye really think I’d let ye?”

I felt my eyes well up with tears and I shook my head.

“Well then, pass me anither towel an’ stop bein’ such a dunderheid.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
226 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

DaddyTom

How many times in 1906 episodes has Tom talked sensibility to Cathy, and saved her from who knows what by doing so? She is a much better person for having listened to him.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Thank you, Angharad

First, your episode was touching and very much to the point. I do hope that Cathy takes Tom's advice, and looks to the big questions, and the possibility that she may be a part of the answer.

I also thank you for writing this particular chapter. It strikes to the heart of the modern dilemma and speaks to each of us. What have we, as individuals, done to make this world a better place in which to live.

Finally, let me wish you a very happy, prosperous and healthy 2013. May you fully and completely reconcile with those you love, and become all that you wish to be.

With love,

Red MacDonald

Red is Right of Course so is Cathy's Adopted Dad

But I dont agree, Angharad, that humans are the only animals to have an understanding of morals and ethics The social insects and many higher mammals certainly exhibit selfless behaviour for others of their own kind. Also, humans cannot really love (in the Agape sense) others unless they first love them selves. The simple preacher types have failed to grasp this to a large extent, and criticise self love as selfishness. Taken to extremes it may become selfishness, but to love the me that is doing the pondering is essential for a healthy mind. It is just that one extends it to include others even of other species as well, to be able to behave optimally for one's society, neighbours, friends and family, even pets.

Cathy is such a giving person, that these occasional concerns about " is there any point " is probably just a rebound from a suppressed self crushed by early upbringing, trying to cry "but what about me ?"

Brought up by parents who were both kicked out for the sin of marrying someone not of their own families' faiths, I was exceedingly fortunate in being raised with no faith at all. There is no need to believe in a magical superman beyond the clouds to grow up with an understanding that it is better to be nice to everyone and be honest, keep promises to others, and avoid fights and murdering people or other entities close to our own intelligence or awareness.

Angharad, I dont know how you do it, keeping this account going every day nearly for almost 2000 episodes now. WE all love you for this and hope you will have the strength and imagination to continue for at least another 1000 days ! May you be blessed.

xoxoxox

Briar

Dear Cathy

'Tis better to light one candle, than to curse the darkness. So far, you have lit several.

Do not grow weary of doing good.

Sounds like...

Sounds like Tom got home in the "nick" of time... And tossed a wet blanket all over Cathy's pitty party.

It does get depressing out there. But if you look just a little, you can find amazing examples of humanity helping humanity. It's not just a few exceptional people. It's every day people that do things. Gives me some hope in humanity, despite so many seeming to want to follow "The Donald's" footsteps. "What I want is all that's important." *sighs* Glad so many others disagree with him.

Thanks,
Annette

Daddy

And that's what daddies are good for. Rapping us on the noggins or placing a swift verbal kick in the butt when we need it. Sorry but Cathy needed one. Yay Dad!!!!

We all get discouraged now and then

and with the many trials Cathy goes through it's understandable. But she also has many blessings. Glad Tom was there to give her a push.

Happy New Year everyone!

Aye, someone who gets as down as I.

We really get beat up with life sometimes and I absolutely comiserate with Cathy's feelings. Once in a while I'll get on a rant; saying rediculous things and generally misbehaving. A couple of times, it has led to fatherly and insistent contact with the police. It's a good thing that Cathy has better command of her faculties and a caring F-in-law to set her aright.

A couple times, it has put me in the back of a police car in cuffs, though the officers were both very kind to me, and I was not booked, just taken to the local Hospital to cry it out. Little did they know that a good curbside spanking would have done just as well. snark snark.

Having been Muslim for 7 years and been to Honduras, Kenya, Israel and Thailand, I can tell you that humans have a lot in common in spite of the fact that our cultures seem insane when compared with each other. Every place I have been, outside the US, there have been soldiers everywhere carrying machine guns and ready to use them.

It was as a Muslim woman that I came face to face with being a second class citizen, fit to be beaten or harshly corrected by any man. We get critical of our own situations, but I would not wish to be a married woman anywhere in the Middle East.

Gwendolyn

Tom has hopefully

defused Cathy. Wondering how she will act later.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Cathy , Give up ?

Toms timely words should hopefully sort out Cathys feelings for the moment, But long term, Well thats a different kettle of fish, Our one woman dynamo needs to accept that bad things have always happened in the world and will continue to do so a long time after we are all long gone... Much as we might all like to change the world for the better its just not going to happen... So what do we do? Perhaps if we all start with a simple act of kindness to someone it would be a start, As the saying goes "Mighty oaks from little acorns grow"....

Kirri

PS ... A very happy New Year to you Angharad and your furry feline friends, May you all enjoy a lovely and productive year.

Aaah, we all get tired of sometimes.

Can't say I've got much empathy with Cathy on this one. I get very philocynical (Philosophical and cynical) about the whole meaning of life. You're born, you live, yuh die. Dust to dust I'm afraid, life is what you make of it. We all get plenty of slings and arrows aimed at us during the journey, the only solution I can think of is to keep ducking and diving. If you duck quickly enough and always keep an eye on a safe place to dive for cover, you can usually make some sort of fist of your life.
Sometimes though you just can't dodge the bullets and then it's bloody hard.

Good chapter Ang, but a morose one. I think I might understand why but I'll not speculate here.

Hang in there girl.

Hugs and a kiss.

Bevs.

bev_1.jpg

Chin up Cathy! Read episode 3243

Rhona McCloud's picture

Reading 1906 and 3243 on the same day reminds me of what a rich character Angharad has created in Cathy

Rhona McCloud