A Mother’s Love - Vol. 3.01

Printer-friendly version
breastfeeding.jpg

“Hi Mummy,” greeted Bekka, “I did a picture, Daddy is Mum-Stephanie tonight.”

“Yes, darling, I can see,” said Mary as she walked over to the playpen and knelt down to hug our daughter.

“Don’t worry Bekka, Daddy’s not going to be Mum-Stephanie much more tonight.”

A Mother’s Love - Vol. 3.01

by Alys


A Mother’s Love Vol. 3.01

“Non! C’est impossible!”, shouted the angry French hotelier down the phone, before he ended the call.

At the fifth rejection of the day I slammed the phone down. It had been a difficult and frustrating day trying to persuade some hard pressed European hotel owners and activity organisers to increase their discounts for Adventure Travel. So far I’d only managed to shave a few percentage points off a small number of accounts. It wasn’t going to be enough to avoid redundancies. The whole holiday trade was going down the pan.

I sat back in my padded office chair and took a sip from my glass of water. I looked at my watch and realised it was time to head off to pick up Hugh and Bekka from the creche. I rapidly logged off the computer and locked the desk before standing up, smoothing my skirt down and adjusting an errant bra strap. I picked up my handbag and started for the door.

The phone rang.

I hesitated. I only had a few minutes to change from my female outfit and pick up my daughter before the creche closed.

I looked at the caller display. I had to take the call.

"Stephanie ici......."

*****************************

Fifteen minutes later I burst through the door into the nursery, "Sorry Janis, there was a call....."

The young woman smiled up at me from the rocking chair where she was entertaining my youngest child, Hugh, by making faces, while Bekka, my daughter, was carefully dressing and undressing her Cabbage Patch doll.

"Don't worry Stephanie, I know you're doing your best for the company. Anyway Hugh, Bekka and I have enjoyed ourselves for the last ten minutes."

I picked up the children’s bag and put the strap over my shoulder and then reached over to take Hugh from Janis’s arms. I called over to Bekka.

“Time to go now Bekka, love, fetch Ashley.”

“Mum-Stephanie, I did picture,” she informed me as she stood up and walked over to grasp my hand with her right hand carrying her doll in the other.

Janis pointed at the bag and nodded.

I smiled back, “OK, Bekka we can show it to Mummy later.”

I turned back to Janis, “Have they been good today?" I asked.

"Great on the whole, Bekka was as sweet and cheerful as always and played with the other children, although maybe Hugh is getting another tooth, he was a bit grizzly this afternoon but otherwise he's a pet," Janis responded.

I quickly strapped my bundles of joy into the double pushchair and turned to leave the nursery.

"Stephanie aren't you forgetting something?"

I looked round to see Janis giving me a funny look, "What do you mean? Isn't everything in their bag?

"Not the children’s stuff, you, your clothes. Stephanie, aren't you going to change? I thought Mary doesn't like seeing you in women's clothes."

“I’ve got no time now, I have to get home to make our evening meal and feed the children. If I’m lucky I can change before Mary gets home.”

“I bet she’ll be glad when you’ve weaned Hugh.”

“Me too and then I won’t have to be Stephanie in the office when I’m dealing with customers in case they see me go off to breast feed,” I reminded her.

She smiled, “Yes, that’ll save on laundry too.”

I bade Janis a good evening and made my encumbered way along the corridor from the creche to the lift. The office was deserted as it was now after 6pm and it was quite dim apart from the ghostly glow of the computer monitors on the desks.

“Late tonight, Ms Jones,” asked John, the caretaker as I exited the lift on the ground floor of our North London office block.

I pushed the children over towards the little office where John controlled the building’s basic functions. I had always tried to spend a little time with him every time I saw him. I also owed him a personal debt after he saved me from a serious sexual assault the previous year.

“Been trying to get more discounts from our European hotels. We need to save money somehow.” I explained, even though I knew John would have a pretty good idea of the state of the company with the continual reduction in the numbers working in head office over the previous twelve months.

“If anyone can do it, I’m sure it’s you Ms Jones,” he responded, “I’d hate to have to take redundancy now with six more years till I retire, not many jobs for ex-caretakers in their mid-fifties.”

I touched his arm, gently, a gesture I would be very unlikely to use when I was in male mode, “Don’t worry, John, you’re the most important person here, I’d be long gone before you ever lost your job.”

I turned the buggy and began to move for the main exit, “Good night, John and give my best wishes to Mrs Everrit.”

“Thanks Ms Jones, good night and give my regards to Mary,” he replied before he pressed a button on his control desk to open the doors for me to leave.

I pushed the children through the opening and then turned and gave him a last wave, a gesture that Bekka copied to John’s evident amusement as he smiled at us.

As I approached my car in the staff carpark I considered John’s mental agility in dealing with my varied gender roles. Usually in the evening, when I had had enough time to change he referred to me as ‘Mr Jones’ and gave his regards to ‘Mrs Jones’. However whenever I was unable to change before leaving he would refer to me as ‘Ms Jones’ but Mary would no longer be my spouse and would just be my friend.

“Oh well, not for too much longer...” I said to myself as I adjusted my bra strap after belting the children in the car.

I sat down in the car and adjusted the seat belt across my breasts.

“I’m going to miss my two built in pillows when they’re gone,” I muttered as I started the car and slowly eased myself down the narrow ramp of the car park.

The journey home along Holloway Road was slightly easier than usual, given the lateness of the evening and I made it home only twenty minutes after my normal arrival time. As I crawled up the ‘expressway’ I considered how flexible Bekka was in addressing me. In male mode I was ‘Daddy’, while in female ‘mode’ I was ‘Mum-Stephanie.’ This sometimes caused confusion if we were together in a public place and I was about to go to work, when anyone overhearing her would assume that Mary and I were a Lesbian couple.

I rushed the children into the house, put Bekka in her high chair with a pot of yoghurt and banana. I placed Hugh in his bouncy chair, which seemed to amuse him while I transferred the casserole from the fridge into the oven to cook.

There was just time to make myself a quick instant coffee before Hugh lost interest in the mobiles on his chair and remembered it was time for something contained securely in my blouse.

***************************

Fifteen minutes later I had finished feeding Hugh and was changing him, after taking Bekka from her high chair and putting her in the playpen. I heard Mary’s car pulling into the drive and cursed quietly to myself, “Damn I ran out of time.”

“Hi Steve, I’m home,” she called from the hallway, “have a good day?”

“In the kitchen, love,” I replied.

I heard her walk the few steps and opened the door to the kitchen. I tensed slightly waiting for the criticism.

“Oh you’re still ‘Stephanie’,” she commented, coldly, “I thought you’d promised to change before coming home.”

“Hi Mummy,” greeted Bekka, “I did a picture, Daddy is Mum-Stephanie tonight.”

“Yes, darling, I can see,” said Mary as she walked over to the playpen and knelt down to hug our daughter.

“Don’t worry Bekka, Daddy’s not going to be Mum-Stephanie much more tonight.”

She turned to me, “Can you go and change now, you know how much I dislike seeing you in those clothes.”

I handed Hugh over to her, “Sorry about the clothes I had to make.....”

Mary interrupted, “I don’t want to hear any excuses and to be honest there seem to be too many of them these days. I sometimes wonder if Stephanie is ever going to be gone from our lives.”

Silenced by her icy comment, I made my way to our bedroom, undressed, putting away my blouse, skirt and jacket in the separate section of my wardrobe, with placing my undies in the washing basket. I pulled on a loose t-shirt and some jogging bottoms and then removed my make-up.

I was about to make my way back to the kitchen when the sway of my boobs reminded me that I needed something to restrain them. Mary hated me wearing a proper bra when I was in male mode, so I removed my t-shirt and pulled on one of my stretchy sports bras and then replaced my t-shirt on top.

When I got back downstairs Mary was finishing putting Hugh to sleep in his cot. I took Bekka to the bathroom and run a shallow bath for her. She sat in and began splashing and playing with her bath toys.

I heard Mary coming up the stairs.

“How was your day, love?” I asked as I reached to hug her.

She came towards me, was about to return the gesture but then at the last second she pushed me away, “Urgh, you should have had a shower, I can still smell my perfume on you.”

I looked at her, feeling a little crestfallen, “Sorry, Mary I thought you’d want me to help with Bekka.”

She stood a few paces away and looked at me carefully, “Steve I could have waited a few minutes for you to smell a bit more masculine.”

“Sorry.”

There was a pause and then she asked me, “Because we needed me to work again how long did we agree you’d breast feed Hugh?”

I thought for a moment, “didn’t we say about eight months?”

“We did, since he could be safely weaned onto solids and soya milk.”

“We’re almost there then.”

“Steve we reached eight months almost six weeks ago.”

“Sorry, I’ve been so busy at work, I hadn’t kept track of the time.”

“Tell me Steve, have you made that appointment at the clinic yet?”

“Mary, you know the situation at work, I’m doing everything to save the company....and my job.”

“Yes, I know how hard you’re working,” she replied with a gentler tone than before, “ and I’m sure everyone appreciates your efforts.”

I smiled at her and then turned to redirect Bekka’s efforts from splashing to washing.

I was surprised by my wife’s next sentence.

“That’s why I phoned up myself and got you an appointment tomorrow....for your mastectomy!”


To Be Continued...

End of Vol. 3.01

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Mum-Stephanie

sounds so sweet, yet also tells about the ups and downs Steven went through for his children. How many men would do what he did?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Mum-Stephanie

Hi Stan

Thanks for your comment, much appreciated.

Agreed that Steven has gone more than the extra mile for his children.

Hugs

Alys

Control

Looks like someone is being very controlling and not thinking about the true welfare of others. A mastectomy is serious major surgery and is probably NOT the proper way to go about this especially on practially no notice at all. I also think that any Surgeon that would agree to perform such surgury is being unethical on such short notice.

As this takes place in the UK I would guess that this is not an appointment through the NHS but via private means. I am not even sure that here in the States that something non-emergency would go though so fast.

Control

Hi Payter

Thank you for the much appreciated comment.

You're right about the appointment having to be private.

Your points in your first paragraph are, of course, perfectly valid.

So Mary might not find it so easy to arrange the surgery so quickly, we shall see. :-)

Hugs

Alys

Change of attitude

littlerocksilver's picture

If Mary doesn't change her attitude, I don't see much future in this relationship. It's been a while since I read the previous story; however, if I remember it correctly, I suspect Mary is jealous. She has no business scheduling that surgery. Trouble is looming.

Portia

I know what I would say

... to Mary. Get stuffed!

She has absolutely no right to make such a major elective medical decision for her husband. I think this relationship has reached a breaking point. Either the breasts go or I go seems to be the message here and frankly I think she needs to go.

Kim

My thoughts exactly

... those I didn't want to be off base in case I didn't remember the story too well.

When faced with a major "My way or the highway" decision, more often than not, I've found "the highway" to be the more correct choice. (Not necessarily the better choice, but the more correct choice.)

Thinking about it further

Steve's wife is either feeling threatened by Stephanie's presence in usurping her role in this relationship or she just feels jealous of Stephanie being 'the other woman'. The latter seems strange but I have heard of that from transvestites who say that very thing. In any case, she plans on getting rid of the competition so to speak by giving her husband a mastectomy and preventing it from ever happening again. I question the sanity of a person who thinks like that though as she is willing to put her husband's life at potential risk (a mastectomy is not minor surgery) over what is effectively probably a case of extreme jealousy and guilt.

Kim

Relationships

Hi Portia, Kim, BG27

Thanks for your comments. I really appreciate them.

You're right there are very significant tensions developing in this relationship.

Let's hope for the best.

Hugs

Alys

Mary

Uhm... Wow... Mary.. you sad sad girl...you helped *cause* the issue that you're angry over, and you turn into a bitch thinking you don't have to be respectful to your lover? You are in for a rude awakening!

Good luck with that... I hope you and the couch are good friends, because I sure as hell wouldn't let you be in my bed after being that much of a rude bitch to me!

Sara

P.S. If she isn't getting a rude awakening, I am so going to cry =p

Mary

Hi Sara

Thanks for your comment, much appreciated. It's always interesting to read someone else's perspective on something I've written,

Hopefully Steve and Mary's relationship is only temporarily threatened by the tensions between them.

Happy New Year :-)

Hugs

Alys

Mastectomy?

Fat chance on that. Love people for who they are or go away! And by all means do be polite, or, go away. That's my feelings on it.

Vivien

Women as Selfish Bitches

I know that we like to entertain the notion that women are cuddly, loving and compassionate angels, but when it comes to their place in the home, they will absolutely not share it in any way, not at all! I am afraid it is lose the boobs or the marriage is over.

Gwendolyn

Glad to see the story continue Alys

Frank's picture

My thoughts about Mary's declaration are a tad mixed. I understand where she is coming from, but her method is sorely lacking in compassion for her husband and her youngest. I don't have any first hand experience, but I would guess that weaning is a gradual process not a here today gone tomorrow proposition.

Also as its been pointed out, this is major surgery. I don't believe a doctor would take a patient unseen and just go ahead and schedule surgery. So maybe she's trying to shock him, or set up a consultation appointment. I would also imagine that it would be better for him if his milk has dried up before they go in and cut out active milk glands.

One thing from the last chapter that caught my eye (I re-read from the beginning). Mary was able to have her milk pasteurized for baby Hugh. Why couldn't she have done that for both babies? Unless it was due to whatever treatments she was undergoing at the time. I'm too lazy to go back and look.

Thus far Steve hasn't given any indication he doesn't plan to be fully male again, other than expecting to miss he built-in pillows. If there are extra risks involved and it would be more dangerous than normal for him to have the mastectomy what would Mary do then? She has a lot of issues it seems. Her feelings are utterly human though and are what they are.

Looking forward to more of this tale.

{{Hugs}}

Frank

Hugs

Frank

Story continues

Hi Frank

Thanks for the thought provoking comment, much appreciated.

I will have to deal with the issue of Steve/Stephanie carrying on breast feeding in the next chapter.

There will be other pressures on their relationship.

Hugs

Alys

i am eagerly waiting for next

i am eagerly waiting for next part. pls continue story as soon as possible.

Dust offs in a relationship...

...are usually triggered by something trivial while the energy in the fight is from the real issues. Marys' attitude now is not surprising considering her impulse to bolt when she became ill. Do not forget that she was making a sacrificial decision without her husband for the good of her husband. Though to steve they are together her perception may be that they are still separated by circumstance that she sees comming to an end. She sees (possibly errantly) the light at the end of the tunnel so don't be too hard on her. I think the author has done a very good job of transposing gender attitudes between the two main characters.

Mary knows how to throw cold water

...on everyone's parade and dreams. Stephanie/Steve needs to begin listening to one's heart and be the Mom, Hugh and Rebecca need.

Please some good news in the next chapter, ^_^

Hugs, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Oh God no!!!

Jill Johnson's picture

What a revolting thought.

Jill

Surprised, Steve could father another child

Angharad's picture

after the hormones for breast development. If I remember, Mary was very pleased with his sacrifice then, sounds like she's changed dramatically. Also it isn't taking into account Steve dropping his persona as Stephanie, which presumably has lasted at least a couple of years. Sounds like jealousy or resentment, which considering what he did for her is rather a poor show.

Angharad

Selfish

I can understand that a heavy illness such as cancer often changes your character and perspectives, and you might become selfish, but Mary seems to have forgotten that Steve’s predicament has been caused by giving up unselfishly his prior life, in order to give their family a healthy childhood. She should be just glad to have him...