Ring of Stone - Part 4

Printer-friendly version

Ring of Stone

Regency ball.jpg

A Novella by Bronwen Welsh


Part Four - The Soiree

The day of the 'soiree' arrived and Mama and I took many hours preparing for it. Emma was bitterly disappointed that she was not considered old enough to attend such events, and I had to promise to tell her all about it the following day, including what dresses the other ladies were wearing, and if there were any new fashions. Both Papa and my brother John would be attending of course, but naturally it took them a much shorter time to dress. Men do have an easier life, but would we ladies exchange places with them? I hardly think so.

I don't know if Mama had had a premonition before leaving Oxford, because among my clothes was packed a most gorgeous gown which was most suitable for the evening. I would of course be wearing several petticoats beneath it since the material was quite diaphanous! Mama and I wore cloaks to protect us from the evening chill but Papa and John were made of sterner stuff, and of course their evening dress was far warmer than ours. Papa had hired an enclosed coach with two horses for the occasion, and I was grateful to see it. We set off at a spanking pace, and believe me Jack, that is something I will miss about the 21st century — smooth roads and pneumatic tyres, as steel-rimmed wheels and dirt roads do make for a rather uneven ride!

Half an hour later we turned up a driveway and after a short distance the coach pulled up in front of a large house brilliantly lit up in the twilight. Mama and I were shown to a dressing room where we could attend to any adjustments to our appearance necessitated by the rigors of the coach ride. That completed, we returned to Papa's company for our presence to be announced. We had expected the soiree to be a relatively small affair and were therefore surprised when a footman showed us into quite a large ballroom in the centre of the house and announced our names in a loud voice. There was a small orchestra playing, and dancing was already in progress. At a glance it appeared that there were about ten or a dozen young ladies of marriageable age with an equal number of young men, and of course a number of older couples, presumably the parents of the young ladies and acting as chaperones. I looked especially at the young ladies, some of whom were true beauties and despite my presumption that I would be Richard 's chosen one, I could not help feeling a little uneasy up against such competition.

At the sound of our names I was pleased to see Richard immediately come up to greet us with a beaming smile. He shook hands with Papa and kissed first Mama's hand and then mine, saying he was very pleased to see us.

“May I introduce you to my parents Sir John and Lady Elizabeth d'Anglais?” he asked politely, and this was quite a surprise to us all, even Mama who had somehow failed to discover their status. Perhaps it was just as well. Mama is no 'Mrs Bennet' but I'm sure her anxiety about the evening would have been greatly heightened if she had been in possession of this information. I had already realised that I was part of a quite well-to-do family but Richard's parents were obviously of a higher social strata, and now I began to worry and wonder what they might think of him marrying, as they would see it, 'beneath him'. Richard led the way to where his parents were standing to receive their guests, and we were duly introduced. I must say that his parents did not seem to be overly proud and were most cordial and condescending in their greetings. I did however feel the surveillance of Lady Elizabeth's keen eyes and suspected that Richard had already made known his interest in me.

After the introductions I was hoping that Richard would invite me to dance and was very pleased he did so. It may surprise you to learn that I who was so inept in sport had studied the dances shown on such programs as 'Pride and Prejudice' in my room at Oxford, although without the advantage of a male partner of course. The dance was the 'Cotillion', performed in a line of facing male and female dancers performing a number of 'sets' of steps and I felt that I acquitted myself quite well. I would love to have had a waltz with Richard, but suspected that at the time where I now found myself, that it was not yet acceptable. It was probably even considered scandalous, as it required men and women to have such close physical contact, and that would have been even more shocking if they were not married..

At the conclusion of the dance Richard asked me if I would like some refreshment and of course I accepted his offer, not only because I was thirsty after the dance, but also because it would allow me a short time of private conversation with him in this very public setting.

“Well,” said Richard “What do you think of our 'country cottage'?”

“Mr d'Anglais, I think you have treated us very badly in not explaining your status and that of your parents,” I responded “Both Mama and I would have taken even greater pains with our preparations for this evening if we had known.” I softened my apparent annoyance with a smile.

“Please call me Richard, Miss Bolton,” he responded “And I doubt if you could look more beautiful than you do this evening if you had taken a week with your preparations.”

What could I possibly say in response to such a charming compliment? I blushed of course and could only think to respond “If I am to call you Richard, then you must call me Leonora, although I have little doubt that both our parents would be shocked at such intimacies after such a brief acquaintanceship.”

“Well I hope that this is only the start of a very long acquaintanceship,” Richard responded, touching my hand, causing me to blush even more deeply while being secretly thrilled at his response.

“As do I,” I responded in barely above a whisper. How could I ever have doubted from the start that Richard and I were fated to be married and our descendants though the years would eventually lead to you Jack? At that moment, we both became aware that Richard's mother was bearing down upon us like a brig under full sail, and there was no further opportunity for us to indulge in further intercourse during the evening, but I was well satisfied that any concerns that I had had were totally without foundation.

That night as I lay in bed, finding it hard to sleep after the excitement of the evening, I was faced with a problem. I no longer had any doubt that I would marry Richard d'Anglais and thus become your ancestor, and the thought delighted me. However I also wished to make one final visit to the twenty-first century to finalise my affairs, including leaving my estate to you. I feel that is most appropriate as you will now understand. I also wanted to write this letter so that you will finally understand the reason for my disappearance and thus set your mind at rest. I am only sorry that there will be some years delay before you learn the truth. I know that you may still think this account most fantastical and I will set my mind to thinking if there is some way that I can send a message to you down the years to prove its veracity.

Our holiday was coming to an end, so I made the excuse that I needed to visit the stone circle once more to finalise some details of my drawings and I managed to persuade my brother John to take me back to Castlerigg two days ago. After watching me with my sketchpad and pencils for a while, he became bored and started to wander around the circle, and while his back was turned I slipped away back into the 21st Century, although now having done so I confess I am terrified at the thought that I might not return to being Leonora. But then again how foolish I am as the fact you are reading this proves I was successful. I have spent the night writing this letter, and tomorrow I am going to Oxford to see my solicitor, make my will and leave this account for you to receive with your inheritance. When I return I will drive to Castlerigg early in the morning and return to the nineteenth century and my brother John who will hopefully not have noticed my absence. How the power of the stone circle has worked in this mysterious way I do not know but I do so hope that it will work again and return me for the final time to the man I love — your many times great grandfather.

You may wonder if I will miss anything about the twenty-first century and I have given this some thought. I have concluded that my only regret would be the lack of modern medicine. I will be living at a time when various ailments and infections which are now so easily cured can lead to chronic illness or even death, especially in infants. I must certainly do my best to maintain the best possible hygiene to minimise the risks to myself and others. All the other trappings of modern society pale into insignificance compared to having the opportunity to live as the woman I was meant to be, and to marry the most wonderful man and have his children, the descendants of whom will be leading to yourself.

As to how many times your great grandmother I will be I do not know and I do not intend to seek out the family tree for fear of finding out the extent of my life span as Leonora. Such knowledge would be very hard to live with, so I will leave that for you to find out. You may wonder how I can so easily give up my academic life in the twenty-first century. That is easy. Have spent so much time studying the past, I now have the opportunity to actually go back and live my life in it. How wonderful is that? I must take care not to reveal my knowledge of the future of course. If I described aeroplanes to people in the nineteenth century they would doubtless think me a candidate for Bedlam — not an outcome I would wish!

Before I finish, there is a question you have doubtless asked yourself. If I have become Leonora at the age of nineteen or twenty, then what spirit occupied her body prior to that time? That I cannot answer, but I do have a possible clue. The morning after the soiree, I was walking down the hallway past the room Papa was using as a study, and I heard him and Mama in conversation.

“How lovely it is to see Leonora so happy and well again after that dreadful illness,” said Mama. “I dared not say it at the time, but I did fear at one stage that we might lose her.”

“And now she is fully recovered and in love,” replied Papa. “Even a man can see that! I must tell you that I spoke to Sir John d'Anglais last night, and gained a firm impression that they would have no objection to the union of our two families.”

“Oh Mr Bolton, why did you not share this information with me before? I confess I have been greatly worried that there might be some impediment to their happiness, especially when I discovered the social status of the d'Anglais family,” responded Mama.

“And it seems there is none,” said Papa

“Well, if Richard d'Anglais makes her as happy as you have made me, then she will be a fortunate young woman,” said Mama.

There was silence now, and I felt that I was intruding on intimacy between a husband and wife, and crept silently away. I thought long about what Mama had said. Could it be that in that illness, Leonora's spirit had gradually faded away, and that it was my good fortune to time my appearance at exactly the right moment to take its place? This can only be conjecture on my part, but I have certainly not felt at odds with any other presence within my body.

Dear Jack, one thing I must mention before I conclude this rather long letter. I am aware that as Leonora I will be leading a life of privilege, and when I marry Richard that privilege will be even more enhanced. I will become mistress of a relatively large household with many responsibilities. I wish I could have access to Mrs Beeton's famous book but alas I think that will not be published until I am an old lady. I will have to acquire the services of a good housekeeper, and devote considerable time to learning all I can about household management. It is my intention to deal fairly and honorably with all manner of people giving them due respect whether high or low born. I mention that lest you think your ancestor intends to use her wealth to lead a life of indolence. When I do finally leave this earth, I trust it will be said of me that I lived a good and productive life. If not, it will not be for want of trying.

I have written so much and could have written still more but it is very late now and I must conclude this letter. I do hope that you, Jack, will find the woman of your dreams if you have not already done so, and that she will give you much happiness, as much as the happiness which I am sure I will enjoy with Richard.

With much love, your ancestor,

Leonora.

P.S. I am including a sketch I made at Castlerigg, not that it proves anything of course, but it is my conceit that you may wish to have a sample of my work.”

**********************************

I sat back in my chair, staring at the papers. Whatever I had expected to read, it was nothing compared to such an amazing story. Truly, if it had been written by anyone other than a person I had known for so long as one of the most intelligent and well-balanced on the planet, I could have been forgiven for thinking that it was all an elaborate hoax. Nevertheless, the facts were that Leonard had disappeared, and in his letter he seemed in possession of a number of facts which he could not have otherwise known, and which I could surely check for veracity.

Next time: A visit to Aunt Mary

Author's note: The "Mrs Bennet' referred to in the text is the mother of five daughters in Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice". She is given to fits of anxiety concerning her social status as she works to secure marriages for all her daughters. As mentioned in the text, Leonora's mother is fortunately not cast in the same mould.

up
313 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Mrs Bennet

At least Mrs Bennet was nothing like Captain Jack Aubrey's Mother-in-law in the Master and Commander series by Patrick O'Brian...

I love period pieces.

You are quite a good writer and I am enjoying this story greatly.

Thank you

Gwendolyn

Period Pieces

terrynaut's picture

I don't normally enjoy period pieces but I'm enjoying this one. You write very well and I find this story to be enchanting.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Well done

I too find period pieces difficult at times. The language and culture has changed since that age and they can seem cumbersome to modern readers. However, you've done well giving a feel for the era without overdoing it. Will there be more? Will Lenore find a way of communicating with her friend? :)

Hugs
Grover

Late to the party

Reading time has been a little restricted since the holidays started, so I just kept to the series I was familiar with ... but I've read all 4 stories today. Conclusion: HOOKED. This reminds me a little of "Somewhere In Time", one of my top 10 romance movies of all time. This is great stuff!! Lead on, Ms. Welsh! **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

The Soiree

is a sweet chapter that helps explain the transfer. But will he return to his old life after living hers?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Jack Will Have To Investigate

joannebarbarella's picture

Nobody could receive such a letter without feeling compelled to research the life of one of his ancestors. I am certain that Leonore will have found ways to communicate down the ages with her many-times-removed descendent.

I missed reading Ring or Stone before...

I like Bronwen's writing and find myself enjoying this reposting of The Stone Ring. I'm happy for Lenora and Lenoard, and I'm interested in what this means for Jack. It sounds like there is more to come than what is already written.

Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Lenora

Will have to get used to many freedoms she once enjoyed.

Nicely done.

I find myself, as is often the case when devouring a piece of literature, drawing parallels with texts from different sources such as the mentioned previously, Jane Austen's, "Pride and Prejudice".
The effort you have put yourself to was not wasted, I found mysel transported one again to those gentler yet more dangerous times.
Your surmise, that I find sensible and considered, is that the most dangerous thing about that era is still the subject of vast research and is considered the main thrust of our modrn civilisation. That being, of course, the smallest things affecting mankind; bacteria.
It is apt I think that this story includes a footnote to that shared fight and that we once again find ourselves in the grip of disease as if we have progressed not a jot.
Our shared domicile in the Antipodes must, back then, have been the epitome of that struggle against nature and survival. Not all of humanity lived in splendour and many passed before their due time.

I'm my own grandpa!

Jamie Lee's picture

This is the proverbial chicken and egg question, and could give a person quite the headache if they pondered it too long.

Others have feelings too.

Other things he/she might miss...

TheCropredyKid's picture

You may wonder if I will miss anything about the twenty-first century and I have given this some thought. I have concluded that my only regret would be the lack of modern medicine.

And plumbing.

And shock absorbers and pneumatic tyres.

And central heating...

 
 
 
x