Sarah Carerra - 3.37 - A Very Carerra Christmas

Printer-friendly version
The stage was dark. The only noise to be heard was the dull roar of the crowd as they waited.

Sarah Carerra 3: Concerto in A-
Chapter 3.37 - A Very Carerra Christmas
by Megan Campbell
Copyright  ©2012 Megan Campbell
Released: December 25, 2012

Editor Note: The images used for this story were purchased and used under royalty-free license* from iStockphoto.com . ~Sephrena
Author Note: Please email me at AngelJediGirl (at) gmail (dot) com before posting this story to any other site. Posting to a pay site is prohibited.

Author Note: Many of the songs that Sarah sings are "inspired" by real life songs. I'm not a songwriter, but I can tell a story. A special thanks should be given to the artists that helped shape the music that is Sarah Carerra. Embedded in this chapter are the songs that inspired the Christmas concert for you to enjoy if you wish to. They are here to give you an idea of what Sarah's songs sound like.

Comments and suggestions are also welcome at the above email address.

*  *  *

Sarah Carerra Book 3: Concerto in A-

Chapter 3.37 - A Very Carerra Christmas

The stage was dark. The only noise to be heard was the dull roar of the crowd as they waited. I stood calmly between Jenna and Michelle on the second row of the riser that the Chorus was assembled on. Opposite the riser on the other side of the stage my band was set up and patiently waiting for their time to shine. The dancers calmly stood in their positions in front of us.

The first few notes of 'We Need a Little Christmas' echoed throughout the theatre moments before a spotlight shone down on the stage, illuminating Jane where she stood. Her beautiful voice sang the first part of the song before the lights expanded to include the entire Chorus. We continued to sing together, with a few of the Chorus members singing small solo pieces intermingled between the group.

The song did a good job of showing the different talents of the Chorus members without picking out any favorites. Mr. Benson had been really happy about the song, and I calmly stood with them singing but not drawing attention to myself.

When the song came to an end the crowd roared with applause, and I felt the energy in the Chorus increase tenfold.

Once the roar of the crowd began to subside, the music for the next song started and the Chorus started singing. I counted myself in and when I started singing, I slowly passed Jenna and walked down the steps to the bottom of the riser. I started the first verse of 'Last Christmas' with the Chorus providing backup. As I moved I felt two tugs from two of the Chorus members and I knew that the outfit I had been wearing to match the Chorus members had been pulled off to reveal the red and white dress that Julia had decided to feature for the concert.

But the part that caused me to smile occurred when I approached the end of the first verse. A tenor joined me and Ethan stepped down off the first row of the riser and slowly approached me as we sang together. We continued singing the duet together, and I was so excited to be singing with Ethan on stage for the first time! He was an excellent singer, and I was proud to be able to feature him in one of my concerts.

We ended the song looking at each other, and I could see the happiness that I felt reflected in his eyes for a moment before the lights in the theatre went out, leaving only Ethan's spotlight illuminated. The crowd continued to cheer as he stepped forward and took center stage. I, on the other hand, hurried back to the riser and found my place on the first row. All of the boys had left, and the girls had created a reverse pyramid on the riser with me at the bottom.

Jason's guitar broke the darkness, and 'A Very Carerra Christmas', the first of the two original Christmas songs I had written for the concert, echoed throughout the theatre. Ethan, still the only person on stage who was visible, sang through the first verse. I watched him from behind, cheering him on silently. When I'd had the opportunity to write the song I knew that I wanted to include Ethan in it. Emily and I had "our" songs, which were the ones we had written together. And now Ethan and I had a song to call our own, the one we performed together.

The girls of the Chorus and I burst into the song's chorus as lights burst into existence. The dancers started dancing around, and Ethan calmly moved to the side.

When the chorus finished, I stepped off the riser once more and joined Ethan as we sang through the second duet of the evening. We continued to sing the verses together and I sang through the chorus with the female members of the Chorus.

I really liked how well this song turned out, and as we sang through the last 'A very merry Carerra Christmas' we opened the concert, and the TV special, in earnest.

We held our poses when the song ended for a few moments to allow an overlay to be displayed on the TV before the entire theatre fell into darkness once more. The crowd was cheering, but everyone on stage was moving quickly to get everything ready for the next section of the concert. I knew that the TV special had gone to a commercial, and I could hear the small video start up to entertain those in attendance as I ran offstage and to a small dressing area. I was joined by six other girls in the small area: Jane, Sophie, Holly, Brittany, Jenna and Michelle. We undressed as quickly as we could and put on white dresses that glittered with blue highlights. The dresses reminded me of a winter landscape and would fit in well with what was coming up.

As we were still changing I heard the next song start on stage. The remainder of the Chorus started singing 'The Most Wonderful Day of the Year' for the crowd. I knew it was a very visual number, with some of the dancers dressed up as the misfit toys to help keep the crowd entertained without me on stage. Also, it gave the Chorus another chance to display their talents.

Once I was ready I made my way back to the stage and joined the other girls waiting for our cue to start the next song. We didn't have to wait long.

The stage fell into darkness once more, hiding the members of the Chorus who were on stage. Then the front of the stage was lit in a slightly blue light that gave the seven of us an ethereal look as we walked onto the stage, three from the left and four from the right.

Jane started first, singing the first part of 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman' without accompaniment as we walked toward the center of the stage. The other six of us provided some background and harmony as she sang. Then it was Brittany's turn, followed by Michelle's. The band joined us when Jenna started singing her part of the song.

Nearly two minutes into the song I got my turn to shine, and sang my heart out in one of my favorite songs of the evening. Being able to sing this song with these wonderful girls was an awesome experience, and just like when we were in the studio, I knew it would be one of the favorites on the album.

When the song ended most of the other girls stepped back into the shadows near the riser where the rest of the Chorus had been waiting. Only Jane and I stayed in the light.

A soft melody started to echo throughout the theatre, and Jane started singing the first verse of 'Do You Hear What I Hear' with the entire Chorus backing her softly. When she was finished, I sang through the second verse.

The Chorus gave us some vocals between the second and third verse, and then I started the third verse strong, and Jane finished before we sang through the small chorus piece together before the song started to wind down.

Getting the chance to sing a duet with Jane had been one of my top priorities when we were deciding on what songs to sing this evening, and the smile that was beaming across her face was enough to tell me how well I had succeeded. She was an amazing singer, and I was happy to have her on stage with me.

The crowd roared their approval, and as the theatre quieted once more, the lighting changed from the ethereal blue to a more Christmassy red as Jane joined the other girls near the riser. The dancers started moving slowly around the stage as I started singing 'O Holy Night' with everyone else on stage providing a good counterbalance to my solo singing.

The tone in the theatre changed almost immediately, and I felt the wonder, and the magic, of the music as it permeated my very being. The rush that I felt during every performance reached a peak and I channeled all of it into the song. As the lights dimmed once more at the end of the song, illuminating only me in a spotlight as I softly finished singing, I knew this would be one of the most memorable pieces of the concert.

Then the spotlight faded out, and I knew we were in another commercial break.

But it wasn't a break for me. Once more I was back in the dressing room with the same six girls who had been there before. This time, I changed back into the red dress I had worn at the beginning. Sophie, Holly, and Jane also changed into similar dresses, and the three other Chorus girls changed back into their outfits that matched the rest of the Chorus. Unlike last time, however, I had to be back on stage before the commercial break was over. It wasn't nearly as bad as the 30 seconds I'd had for some of the costume changes during my tour, but it was the most hectic costume change of the night. Thankfully, it was also the last.

I was back on stage by the time the short video that was playing during the commercial break was over, and the first notes of 'All I Want for Christmas Is You' brought the audience's attention back to me on stage.

For the first time tonight this song felt like one of my performances during the tour. The Chorus was still on stage, but hidden in the darkness and only the band, Sophie, Holly, Jane, and the dancers were visible with me.

This was probably one of my least favorite songs in the concert, but it was also a chance for me to show off some of my vocal prowess as it was mostly a solo. Like every song I sang I did my best to pour everything I had into it. I was rewarded when the crowd started to rock back and forth with the song and some of them even started singing along with me. It was a different concert in the sense that most of the audience hadn't been singing during each song, but I knew they were still having fun. I hoped that the people watching on television felt the same way.

The theater faded into darkness quickly when the song was over, but even through the roar of the crowd a familiar beat of a drum could be heard, and when the spotlight shone down on the far side of the stage, Mark Corbin was illuminated. He began singing 'Little Drummer Boy' as excellently as he had in the recording studio, backed by a small group of the Chorus boys.

The song was definitely slower than what I had just sung, but Mark, despite my best wishes, was an excellent singer. He caught the attention of the crowd and held it the entire song. I might not have been on stage during the song, but the applause he got when he finished was nearly as loud as my own.

Not to be outdone, I started singing 'The First Noel' almost immediately and without accompaniment from the band. The lights that had been shining down on Mark and the Chorus boys faded out to be replaced with lights illuminating me. I also had Sophie, Jane, and Holly backing me, and they were much better than the Chorus boys.

But if our a cappella rendition of the carol wasn't enough to wow the crowd, what came next was.

As I finished singing 'The First Noel', the girls and I moved from the side of the stage we had been performing on to the center of the stage. Then we launched into 'Carol of the Bells'. I normally heard this song as an instrumental at Christmas time, but Scott had brought this piece of music to us from somebody in the record company, and I really liked how our four voices could provide much of the "instrumental" part of the song as we sang. It turned out really well. The band only managed to increase how well the song sounded.

We softly finished the song, and once more the stage faded into darkness before another commercial video started to keep the audience entertained.

I started moving immediately, heading for the side of the stage. I couldn't believe that the Christmas Concert was almost over. There were only two songs left and only one of them would be performed by me.

The riser, that had been a fixture on stage until this point, was moved aside, and the Chorus members spread out across the stage. Jane had gone to change once more, and her outfit now matched the rest of the Chorus.

When they got the signal that the commercial break was over the Chorus started singing immediately. This was my favorite piece that the Chorus was singing tonight. Jane started singing 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas'. Then, as the song progressed, each of the individual Chorus members who had been featured in the different songs over the evening got to sing their small part of the song, accompanied by the remainder of the Chorus.

It was a fitting goodbye to the Chorus members, and they sang it excellently. I was very proud of them, and I was glad that my dad had insisted on inviting them to sing with me for the concert.

It was almost sad when their performance for the evening came to a close, but I saw a smile on every single one of their faces before the lights dimmed once more. I started walking onto stage immediately, and I passed by a lot of the Chorus members as they were exiting the stage. I could feel the buzz of accomplishment radiating from each of them. I smiled, just before a spotlight shone down on me.

"Thank you all for coming this evening," I told the crowd, speaking to them for the first time all night. This was partially because I didn't want to go through the whole concert without saying anything, and also because we needed time to get the stage ready. "Thank you to everyone watching from home," I continued. "Tonight has been very special to me. Not only have I had the chance to share with you some wonderful music, but we have also managed to raise a large sum of money for the Christmas Elves Foundation, which will be used to help underprivileged children across the nation to have a Merry Christmas."

There was some cheering as I mentioned the charity that had received all proceeds for tonight's concert. They deserved it, and I was glad for the opportunity to help.

"I have one more song I'd like to perform for you this evening," I told the crowd when the noise started to die down. "This song is special to me, and one I wrote specifically for tonight. It is easy for us to remember what the true meaning of Christmas is when we are bombarded by presents and material things. But I want you all to remember the 'Forgotten Christmas'.

Stacy's drums echoed throughout the theatre immediately, and the stage lit up to show my band and my backup girls: Sophie, Holly, and Jane. I started singing the second of the two songs I had written for the concert. This song was about all the things that are often overlooked during the holiday season. I hoped that it would make everyone who heard it think past the presents and the dinners, past the sales and trimming the trees and remember why this holiday was so holy. I wanted them to remember the birthday boy who saved all of us.

I had enjoyed performing with the Chorus all evening. I was glad that they had been on the stage with me. And even though I hadn't gotten along with all of them when I had been attending the class, I was happy that every one of them had been part of this special night. Even Mark Corbin had a place in my heart now. It was a small place, but it was there.

As the song came to a close and the crowd rose to their feet and roared their approval, I felt tears stream down my cheek.

Tonight, the magic was real.

* * *

Of all the Star Parties that had followed my concerts, the one for the Christmas Concert had to be one of my favorites. Quite a few seats for the night's concert had been purchased on behalf of children who would benefit from the Christmas Elves Foundation. As such, many of the individuals who had been chosen to attend the Star Party were also those children who could use the help the most. Mom and the other people in charge of finding the right people to come to the party had certainly had an easy time of it when they found out a number of the beneficiaries of the Christmas Elves Foundation were in attendance.

As I gazed into each of their smiling faces I could see how hard their lives had been. I could see how much tonight had meant to them. This was a ‘once in a lifetime’ opportunity for most of them, and I was glad to be able to provide it. Each and every one of them got a hug from me, and since I had pledged to match whatever donations and proceeds were raised from the concert, just seeing me perform was only the start of the blessings they would receive this Christmas.

After the Star Party was over and the stage was in the process of being dismantled, I met once more with the members of the Chorus. Principal Hall and Mister Benson were also there. All of them had been invited to stay for the Star Party, and I was very glad they had. I knew they had been just as touched with the children as I had been.

But I had more to give tonight. I had sung about the forgotten parts of Christmas in my last song, and the Christmas Elves Foundation would see a lot of money generated because of those parts of Christmas being remembered by the people who saw the concert.

Yet I couldn't have given that gift without the members of my school's Chorus. We'd had our differences and I — as Megan - parted ways with them. But the reality was that they were instrumental in not only the success of the concert, but in the hope for the future that it had brought to those wonderful boys and girls whom I had hugged afterward.

And for that, I would be forever thankful.

"Thank you all," I told them. It was getting late, though not as late as if it had been a regular concert, and I knew they were ready to go home. "I know how much you guys have sacrificed for this concert. I know how hard it has been. The contract for the album is with the school, and that means that the proceeds of the album sales will help to fund the Chorus and other school programs for the foreseeable future. But although you guys don't get a cut of the album's earnings, I want you all to know how appreciative I am for all that you have done. I have a Christmas present for each of you. As you leave tonight, I want you to know that you have made a difference in the lives of many kids around the country. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart."

I let them leave after that. I let them go home to get the rest they deserved. But not before I gave every single one of them a special gift bag and a hug. A couple of them, like Ethan, even managed to get a kiss on the cheek before they walked out the door.

But the best part was the screams of glee that reached back into the room after they made it out into the hallway and looked into their gift bags. The $750 gift bags that they had each received contained a pair of expensive headphones, a new tablet computer, a camera, a spa package, Stardom perfume and Starlight Cosmetics for the girls, cologne and a watch for the guys, and most importantly a signed copy of the Christmas album.

It was a small price to pay to take the magic they had helped me create on stage and help it grow within their hearts.

* * *

Chapter 3.38 - Resolutions
Coming Soon...

* * *

Want more Sarah Carerra?
Book 1: I Am A Rock Star is now available for the Kindle! Click here for more information. Become a fan of Sarah Carerra by joining her on Facebook or Twitter by clicking the buttons below.
Follow SarahCarerra on Twitter   The Official Sarah Carerra Facebook Page

If you've read book 1 I'd love it if you shared your opinions with others. Review the Kindle version at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006IZG49M. :)

up
278 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

yay a christmassy chapter to read on christmas

yay just seeing a new chapter today has filled me with Christmas cheer, now ive got to read it quick before Doctor Who starts (British Program) but I just know im going to enjoy this.

Edit: Back an hour later having loved the doctor who special and I have just finished reading this cool chapter. Ive got to say the links to the songs was cool however I had only heard about 30 seconds of one song when I reached the next link and I was rushing so I didn't get the full experience of listening to each song fully but still I hope you continue to do the same in future chapters as it's very appreciated and helps bring the story to life.

Merry Christmas

A very nice way to fill this Christmas day. Hope you and your family have a joyous Christmas!

Sarah 3.37

WoW, What a great chapter, Thanks and a Merry Christmas to you Megan! Always!

Richard

Thanks Megan!

I really like how you included the links to all the songs. Thanks for Sarah and her entertaining adventures.

Merry Christmas!

Suzi

Suzij

Gift Bag

Holy Moly, that is almost 22,000 dollars worth a gift bags.

Sarah Carerra/Megan Campbell,

thank you for a most wonderful Very Carerra Christmas Concert. I know the you and the chorus/choir had a great time singing and felt the Magic.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Merry Xmas ...

to you!

And, thanks for a wonderful holiday gift concert from Sarah, too.

Red MacDonald

Sharing

Isnt that what Christmas is really about, and always has been? Sharing Love for one another, and not being concerned with the commercialism that has become what we call christmas - and yes the small c is intentional. Captital C Christmas (for Christ) and small c christmas (for commercialism). I approve of sharing, but not with the degree of commercialism that has become what christmas is all about, and not the real meaning of Christmas.

Well done, Megan! And please continue the Saga of Sarah!!!

Thanks, and a Merry Christmas to you and yours, and to all your readers.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

We need a little Christmas - all year

Greetings

Thank you for the story of Sarah and the lovely links to the music in this chapter.

Best wishes for Christmas and the coming year.

Brian