Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1902

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1902
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The Sunday and Monday following were just manic as we cleaned the house from top to bottom; Ingrid showing a bit more enthusiasm than Jacquie or Sammi. She’d talked things over with Hannah and had decided they would stay over Christmas and make up their minds about Simon’s offer. It was my offer, really, but I let everyone think Simon had thought it up.

I learned that Ingrid could also drive, so I could have someone to share the school run when I went back to teaching. She seemed to have calmed down after she learned her ex-partner had been caught trying to escape the night of the attack. He was the getaway driver, apparently not feeling up to taking an active part in what we later discovered was intended to be a ‘lesson’ to me. They were supposed to sexually assault me, and then slash my face, and perhaps do the same to Ingrid. I felt even more justified in using the bow for my defence, and told the police I would continue to protect myself and my family with whatever I damn well wanted.

I also sent a message via Henry to the Chief Constable that if they prosecuted me and took away my weapons and I subsequently lost to injury or death, a member of my family, I would chase him and whoever else was involved through the courts as long as they lived or were bankrupted. Henry was shocked at my vehemence, as was I when I learned of the threat to me from Ingrid’s ex. The thought of someone slashing my face to teach me a lesson gave me a cold shudder.

When Simon found out he wanted the guy damaged in prison and was prepared to find someone to arrange it, but I stopped him. If ever it was discovered we’d conspired to do such a thing, he’d be in real trouble. Instead I suggested he aim for a private law suit to bankrupt the miscreant with a claim for damages for emotional and physical harm done by him and his friends, to all the members of the family and our guests. He rubbed his hands and went off to speak to his legal friends.

Christmas Eve, the Monday following the attack we set up the house for the fun of Christmas Day when we’d be entertaining a houseful. Pippa and her boys were coming, so were Henry and Monica. The dining table was extended to seat twenty, we had to get the folding chairs from the attic and the spare canteen of cutlery from the pantry.

By the time we, that is Simon, Tom and I went to bed, we were knackered, not to put too fine a point on it. I hated to think how much wrapping paper I’d used up, but the tree was almost buried under the pile of presents, one lot of which we’d keep until after dinner. I’d agreed this with Ingrid as well, and she was quite happy with the arrangements.

On Christmas morning, which seemed to happen far too soon after we went to bed, we were woken by three aliens giggling as they jumped into bed with us. Simon grumbled a little as cold feet were shoved on his bad knee–he made it worse detaining one of the attackers–silly bugger jumping off a table.

The girls tried to lie still, it was only six in the morning, but they were as fizzy as bottles of shaken cola and their wriggling and giggling had me choosing between multiple puellacide and getting up. The latter had a shorter sentence attached, so I opted for it.

As usual, I insisted on everyone having a proper breakfast of either toast or cereal or both. I knew David would be over to start cooking the turkey by eight, and probably Ingrid would come with him and where she goes, Hannah follows. I’d noticed that despite their different backgrounds, David and Ingrid seemed to be getting on rather well, which partly prompted me to make the offer of a job to her.

I managed to draw out the present opening until eight o’clock by insisting we all had showers and wore tidy clothes. The girls complained and whined during the whole process, but it at least enabled the others to come across from the cottages.

David set up the oven and the kitchen for cooking the meal, then came in and we exchanged presents. He was chuffed with his new shaver, and Ingrid and Hannah were absolutely overwhelmed by the laptop I got the girls to give to them. Sammi gave it the once over and pronounced it a very good all-rounder and offered to help them set it up later, as I’d hoped she would.

I wasn’t expecting anything from our guests, but I received a bottle of Coco eau de toilette from the two girls and David, which made my day–one of my absolute favourites. Simon gave me some more Opium–the perfume not the narcotic–and Tom added to my jewellery with a gold chain necklace.

Once the main presents had been distributed we left the rest until our visitors arrived and set to tidying up–wrapping paper everywhere–and making last minute checks for the table settings and dinner. Ingrid went into the kitchen with David, and I managed to snap a picture of them under the mistletoe I’d hung there earlier this morning, with my new camera. Talk about flustered didn’t begin to describe it and this was before anyone had any alcohol.

Our visitors arrived at one o’clock, Pippa parking her modest car alongside Henry’s huge Audi thing, which I knew Monica would drive back to the hotel where they were staying–Henry enjoyed his tipple.

More presents were exchanged, although I got everyone to agree we’d open them after dinner so as not to interrupt the start of the meal. David did us proud and I kept a beady eye on Henry in case he tried to talk him into going to work at the hotel. It was raised but David turned him down, saying he loved working with the family here. In fact he walked round with a silly grin on his face most of the day, as did Ingrid, so I suspect they were in agreement over the subject of mutual affection.

Just as dinner was being served and Tom was carving the turkey, Henry dashed out and came back with half a case of champers–not yer Moet et Chandon stuff but Bollinger. Turkey and all the trimmings doesn’t do justice to the meal David produced, it was sumptuous.

Prawns on a bed of sliced orange and lime to start; then turkey with cranberry, bread or any other sauce you could think of; the vegetables were wonderful, glazed carrots, mushrooms in a light batter, broccoli and new potatoes together with roast potatoes and parsnips, mashed swede and aubergine–it was too much. I suspect I gained a pound just inhaling the aroma of all that food. The dessert was Christmas pud for the traditionalists with brandy butter, I settled for just a small dish of ice cream, but there was a large trifle and mince pies as well.

Simon and Tom produced bottles of Merlot and Chablis once the champagne had been drunk and it was probably three o’clock before we finally got round to opening the rest of the presents. I gave David a hand with clearing the table and keeping Kiki out of temptation’s reach before sitting comfortably on the sofa with Simon and falling fast asleep. David got his own back taking a picture of me lying back with my eyes closed and my mouth open–not a pleasant sight.

I know Si gave David a bonus for the Christmas meal, which was so richly deserved and we all toasted him after the meal to acknowledge his skill as a chef.

So how was your Christmas?

img_large_watermarked.jpg

Merry Christmas to all our readers, Angharad, Bonzi & Whizz

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
233 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sounds like...

David and Ingrid are making a good team. I hear Divorce in the future, what a nasty bugger her old man is and a coward to boot.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Tracy Ann

thank you SO much, for YOUR

kristin's picture

thank you SO much, for YOUR year long gift to us, of your talented writing! I always look forward to the tales of th "Damsel in de dress", causing others, Distress! (I DID have to look up "puellacide"...and I doubt that I will ever need to use IT in a sentance!...but thanks for expanding my vocabulary) :) A very Merry Christmas to you all!! Hugs, Kristyn

kristyn nichols

I guess mine will be quiet

I guess mine will be quiet for the most part with a visit to my Mom for lunch and dinner as usual. We are experiencing winter precip, freezing rain and sleet, supposedly to be followed by snow. Temps have fallen over the last three hours from 32 to 24 degrees F. Our expected low tomorrow morning is 9 degrees F, pipe bursting weather. A travelers advisory has been issued, and there have already been numerous wrecks on the icy bridges and overpasses. One 22 car/eighteen wheeler accident early this morning sent people to the hospital. People were trying to get to chrismas locations before the weather worsened. They hit black ice on an overpass on Interstate 40. Several overturned vehicles, two fatal accidents with up to 5 people in one of them, and a couple of back injuries in other locations. Visibility is greatly reduced. We may have lighter amounts of snow than first predicted, or it might be worse. So, if it gets too bad, I will spend Christmas alone.

I have wood layed in for the fireplace, as usually we drop power during these storms. I am glad they are not frequent. The last one was 2009 when we got 14 inches of unexpected snow. Bad news when the state has such lousy snow removal equipment due to the infrequent nature of the events. Shrug.

Enojoy your Christmas one and all.

CaroL

CaroL

WOW! looks as if David

has a girlfriend. Wonder what Bonzi & Whizz got for Kiki and Spike

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

There are...

There are some traditions in my family that have stood us in good steed (where the little aliens are concerned)... The first was Stockings... This are both decorative as well as useful... When stuffed - usually with an Orange, some nuts, a book, maybe a game, and some other stuff to play with (some wrapped)... It gave the kids something to do when their excitement got to the point where they couldn't stay in bed any more. Second was the hard rule... You can't go downstairs (where the tree was) or wake the parents up until 7:00am. (Hey, parents need a LITTLE sleep - one year, it was 2:30am before all the decals were applied inside the shuttle craft (ST:TNG) my eldest was getting from Santa.) Then everyone had to get dressed in real clothes! (Nice even) and eat a real breakfast... Only THEN, could anyone go look at the tree. Okay, it was mayhem then, and paper all over... Despite efforts to the contrary. But, it seemed to help.

Cathy's approach worked... And, it sounds like a wonderful day was had by all... Sounds like some "match making" going on, too... It does help that Ingrid's not likely to get the same kind of behavior out of David (I hope)... It can restore her belief in humanity. That said, I suspect nothing will happen tooo fast (unless our editorial staff needs it to)... It's not been THAT long since the latest episode of brutality. And, we don't know how Ingrid and her daughter will take to transgendered... Some don't take it well... Others are fine... Many are in the middle. Time will tell.

Thank you (& Merry Christmas to you)
Annette

And a very merry one to you Ang

Well, it would be very hard to beat a Very Cameron Christmas. Gosh the size of this family is mind boggling at this point. It is the size of a small tribe at this point. I can't imagine what it would take for the entire herd to do a road trip together.

Ang, you are a treasure.

Kim

Merry Xmas

to you, Bonzi and Whizz.

And, to Cathy and her ever-growing and extending family.

Red MacDonald

My Christmas.

In between chauffering people around and generally playing 'dog's-body' in the kitchen duting the morning it's been quite a humanitarian christmas.

After lunch I popped around to see a T/S friend who had undertaken facial feminisation surgery in Belgium on Friday morning. They discharged her on Friday afternoon and she stumbled back to her B&B in Brussels that evening whilst drugged up to the eyeballs with pain-killers. She travelled home on the Saturday & Sunday and I met her in Cardiff Station looking pretty much the worse for her ordeal. She looked absolutely awful and was very week. I could not believe they had discharged her so early but apparently the weekend before Christmas was the earliest/cheapest slot available.

Her main conclusion was that she'd take somebody along to accompany her next time, if she decides upon the second stage and decides to have it done privately. She reckons it'll take her a year to save for the op if done privately but that would be better than waiting two or even three years to have it done on the national health. Tommorrow I'll drop in on her after my bike ride and check to see how she's feeling.

She's feeling pretty lonely and neglected right now cos only her son has anything to do with her.

So that's my goodwill towards others for the winter solstice festivities. That's how my Christmas goes and tomorrow night, my wife and I are going to a party.

Poor Cathy seems to be running around like a blue a---d fly but it is Christmas after all and she's got more kids than Noah's got animals.

Good chapter Ang.

Love it.

Bevs.

XX

bev_1.jpg

And a very Merry Christmas to

And a very Merry Christmas to you too! Thank you so much for another year of this engrossing saga.

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

My Christmas

was spent with my daughter's family, and the oldest granddaughter's fiancee (May 19th is the magic number). No gift exchanges today, but that will be done this weekend at the entire family Christmas this weekend in Missouri, if the good weather holds out. Christmas with your family - What better could one ask?

And as for Bonzi and Whizz, along with the scritches, scratches, and tummy rubs I give you, here are some toy mice with your favorite scent....Micy Christmas, you two! Keep this better than excellent story coming!

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Christmas for me

this year was very peaceful, For the first time in years there was only four of us around the festive table, Two years ago there were twelve of us fighting over the turkey ... Not sure which i prefer, Its nice to have a lot of people around for dinner but the preparation takes so long you almost seem to miss the reason why you are there, With just the four of us it was so much easier, Everyone pitched in and we all enjoyed the meal, But having said that it would have been nice to have had the members of the family who were for different reasons not able to come this year there to celebrate with us.

Cathy and her family certainly seemed to enjoy their christmas, And is it just wishful thinking or could David's need for company about to be satisfied, Time will tell i guess but it seems to me they could both do with a little TLC...

Kirri

Thank you

Even if I'm getting it a bit late this was a very nice gift indeed.