Twas the Night

Printer-friendly version
lights06.gif

Unfortunately, this year I was miserable. All of my gifts from the first day onward, were gifts for a boy and not for the girl, I should be. The girl I had been for almost two and a half years. At least then, the underwear would have been several pairs of matching bras and panties, rather than plain, unadorned white T-shirts and those stupid tighty whities. Instead of the boring shirt and tie I got on day two, I might have gotten a flirty blouse or camisole.

Twas the Night

by Rami

Copyright  © 2012 Rami
 

 
Acknowledgements: I would like to thank Elrodw for allowing me to place one important scene of my story in Bikini Beach. Elrodw also suggested ways to improve the story. Holly Hart also proofed the story and made many helpful suggestions. Shalimar checked the story for its Judaic content.

Author's Note: This is a tale regarding Robyn Esther Mazel/Robert Ian Mazel first introduced in “The King’s Outstretched Scepter” and followed up in “A Miracle Lost — A Miracle Regained.” It is a stand-alone story and while it would be helpful to do so, it is not necessary for you to have read either of the previous stories to understand and enjoy this one. However if you wish to do so, I hope you read or reread and enjoy both of them.

At the end of the story there is a glossary of terms used in the narrative. ~Rami.

Admin Note: Due to Rami's situation, I stepped in and formatted this story for her. Any remaining formatting errors are mine. ~Sephrena
 


 
 
Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house not a creature was stirring. That's right, there had better not be any strange creatures stirring, like mice. We live in a very nice house in the New York suburbs and my very neat mother would have gone ballistic if there had been any creatures in the house. My father, brother, sister and I were enough for her to handle. Of course there is Knish, our Border Collie, but he knows he’s part of the family, he probably thinks he runs the household and he is certainly not a creature.

There were no stockings hanging by the chimney with care, awaiting a big fat man in a red suit who had just parked his sleigh, led by Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, to miraculously slide down that chimney. Twas also the last night of Chanukah, so instead of stockings, five Hanukiahs/Menorahs, one for each member of the family sat atop the mantle over the fireplace. The oil was still burning in only a couple of the glass reservoirs of the largest and most ornate menorah. The oil or candles in the other four menorahs had extinguished themselves earlier.

As I said, it was Christmas Eve, and this year, those who like to dream and sing, like Bing Crosby, about a White Christmas, were in luck. I always wondered if Irving Berlin's Menorah was burning while he wrote that song. Was he eating Matzah, when he wrote Easter Parade? The snow, which began falling as flurries several hours ago, was now accumulating quickly. Tomorrow, after a disorganized snowball fight, I would join the kids on the block, and build a Frosty Snowman.

Christmas Eve was not important to my family or me. There were no chestnuts roasting on an open fire and the house didn’t smell of pines. That's because there was no magnificent six-foot fir tree decorated with gleaming multi-colored strings of lights, topped by a star, and covering a manger scene and gaily-wrapped toys in our living room. Of course no carols were playing in the background either.

If there was any smell, it was the lingering odor of the golden-brown fried Potato Latkes we had eaten for dinner a few hours earlier. The only way to dissipate that smell quickly would be to open the window and let the house air out. Unfortunately, if we did that, Jack Frost might jump through that window, and then a fur jacket like Santa's might come in handy.

Right after dinner, after the sun had set and it was night, my family gathered as usual for lighting the menorahs. While we were each lighting the candles or oil of our own menorah, we chanted the two Baruchot, said on all eight nights. The first sanctified the kindling of the lights of Hanukkah and the second thanked HaShem for the miracles he granted our ancestors. We then sang the traditional Maoz Tzur, and Mi Yemalel. After that, we played a game of dreidel and ate sufganiyot.

It was the 8th night of Chanukah, which normally was a very special night. It was the night that my family traditionally reserved for the "good gifts." Not that the gifts my siblings and I received the other seven nights were bad. On the first seven nights however, most of the gifts were practical or educational I guess that tradition is the fault of my dad's grandmother, my Alter Bubbie Rebecca. Gifts on nights one through seven might contain school supplies, books, serious music, and clothing, lots and lots of clothing. Traditionally and embarrassingly, on the first night, the clothing would usually include underwear and socks. If we got lucky, on those first nights the presents might include an inexpensive toy.

Unfortunately, this year I was miserable. All of my gifts from the first day onward were gifts for a boy and not for the girl, that I should be, the girl I had been for almost two and a half years. At least then, the underwear would have been several pairs of matching bras and panties, rather than plain, unadorned white T-shirts and those stupid tighty whities. Instead of the boring shirt and tie I got on day two, I might have gotten a flirty blouse or camisole.

I was back to being Robert Ian Mazel, and I was no longer Robyn Esther Mazel. You might remember in that in "The Kings Outstretched Scepter." I described how I miraculously became a girl during the reading of the Megilah on Purim two and a half years ago. You might also remember how I became a boy again, luckily only for two days, during Halloween of the same year, because of a curse put on me by a witch. Luckily, I became a girl again, when my Rabbi, with the assistance of the Golem, rescued me. I told that story in "A Miracle Lost, A Miracle Regained."

As you might have guessed from my story so far, I’m a boy again, and have been so since mid-August. My downfall was a consequence of my own stupidity. I had failed to listen to the warnings I had received from my Cousin Susan and a strange woman I had met at the time. I can only blame myself, especially after the mess I got myself into on that scary Halloween.

Susan's family and mine were going to visit family to attend another cousin’s wedding. I had been looking forward to this trip ever since the engagement announcement, right after the beginning of the year. The wedding was going to be a "Black Tie" affair. This would be my first time attending such a fancy party. In addition to the wedding, there would be excursions we would take after the wedding in the beach side community where the wedding was taking place. It would be a blast.

For the first time since I became a girl, I had the opportunity to dress to the nines. Susan and I began shopping for gowns in February. Our mothers, and my sister Ellen, who was going to be a bridesmaid, helped us shop. Even though she was condemned to wear what we thought would be an ugly dress, she wanted to get the thrill of shopping with us. As far as I know, they weren’t trying to help their former son, nephew and brother on this wonderful girl's only adventure. I don't think they had any recollection of who I had been. I thought that there were only three people who knew I had ever been Robert. They were my cousin Susan, my Bubbie Elaine and our family’s Rabbi, Rabbi Loew.

In addition to dress shopping, we also shopped for bikinis. I would need at least three, one or two for our visits to the beach, and at least one more for our visits to what I was advised were the best water parks in the nation.

After getting up early to finish packing, rushing to the airport, and a bumpy plane ride, we arrived at our destination on Thursday in the late afternoon. We were all exhausted. After renting cars, our next stop was the resort hotel where most of the out of town guests were staying.

The wedding was to start on Sunday afternoon at 5:00 P.M. Most of the time from Friday morning through late Sunday night was limited to wedding-related, planned events. While, there was no time for other activities, there was time to plan what we were going to do the following week. We all agreed to do some sight-seeing, and to go to some local museums. It was strange that when I had been Robert, I didn’t mind the sightseeing or the museums that our parents planned for us to attend, especially so, if they were science or history museums. As Robyn, I didn’t mind that either. However, on this trip, I hated the idea; after all, girls just had to have fun.

Luckily, interspersed among those boring family trips were several days or parts of days set aside for amusement parks, the beach and water parks. Luckily, Ellen, Susan and I were successful in getting our parents to agree to allow us to do some of those activities on our own, without them tagging along. Our group on those adventures was to include several other cousins, and relatives of the groom. This included some really dreamy looking guys.

I won’t bore you with many details of the events from Friday through Sunday. If you’ve ever been to a family wedding celebration, you know what that entails. Being a Jewish wedding there were some events, like Shabbat Dinner or the Aufruf, that might be different from a Catholic or Protestant wedding, but the basic similarities are there.

My cousin, the bride to be, asked Susan and I to join her attendants in many of the ceremonies that are an integral part of a traditional Jewish wedding. Even though we could not be witnesses, we watched while the Ketubah, which would be read during the wedding ceremony, was signed. I was looking over her shoulder during the Bedeckening, when the groom, placed the veil over her head.

The wedding ceremony was beautiful. I guess I was a real girl, because I cried and I ooed and awed when the Kallah (bride) was escorted by both her parents down the aisle to the Chupah. With everyone else present, I yelled Mazel Tov when the Chosson (groom) broke the glass. Then it was party time.

I felt like a princess in my gown. I danced with many of the boys who were there, and felt very special being held closely during slow songs. I even danced with my older brother. I thought that if he knew I was once Robert he might get physically ill. After the bride started her dance with her father, many of the girls present danced with their fathers’. I split the dance with my sister. While in my father's arms, I envisioned the day that I would dance with him at my wedding.

Unbeknownst to me, my downfall began, because I sneaked several drinks, that as a minor, I shouldn’t have imbibed. Both as Robert and as Robyn, I was not a stranger to alcohol. A cup of wine at Shabbat dinner, or even four cups of wine at Passover were customary. Since I had been born a boy, I even had a first taste of wine at my bris. My parents even allowed us to taste a drink or participate in a L'Chaim, under their supervision. But, on this night, the older siblings of some of my tablemates slipped us drinks. The drinks were all fruity, masking the alcohol.

My cousin Susan, who was only three days older then me, and never let me forget it, was also my best friend. After I became a girl, she became very protective of me. She wanted to make sure that I, the new inexperienced girl, didn’t get into trouble. That got tiring after awhile. I felt that she was always pestering me to do things a certain way. Tonight was no different. She started nagging me about drinking, and tried to warn me about what was going on. Wanting to be the very adult young lady, in her fancy gown, like Cinderella at the ball, I ignored her warnings. Forgetting that my Halloween nightmare, occurred because I ignored her warnings, I forged ahead like a bull in a china shop. I didn’t get sick or anything like that, but I became enchanted with some of the older girls who would be with us during the following week.

Nothing untoward happened on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. We went to some museums during the day and in the afternoon to the beach adjacent to the resort. It was fun frolicking in the waves, playing co-ed beach volleyball, laying on my beach blanket getting a proper suntan and showing off my bikini-clad body. I had never had the proper opportunity to do so before. I strutted my stuff as my newly discovered friends coaxed me on. Most of the time while we were on the beach, my parents, aunts and uncles and grandparents, left us alone, so I was not under their observation. My sister and brother spent most of their time with friends or cousins their own age, so they were not a bother. From her expression, I could tell that Susan, that old party pooper, was unhappy with my conduct, but she said nothing about the way I was acting.

We all agreed on what we would do Thursday. All the male relatives were going to go to a baseball double-header and would be gone the whole day. If I were still Robert, I would have joined them. Even as Robyn, I had enjoyed both Yankee and Met games back home, but I knew I would enjoy what we girls planned all the better.

There were three water parks in the area, one of which was named Bikini Beach. That was an interesting name, and it was the one picked out by the adults. The choice made no difference to me, but some of the local girls, my new friends, seemed based on their actions and comments to not like the choice. At the time, I didn’t know why, but I was soon to learn.

The girls ranging in age from Bubbie Elaine, and Grandma Rikki, both in their 80's down to the 5-year-old niece of the groom, who had served as flower girl, packed into several cars for the trip to the park. We had all of the supplies necessary for the trip. Since, I already had on a new bikini, the third one I had worn that week, I was ready to frolic. Fun beckoned me.

When we arrived at the park, the adults got in line to pay for the tickets. The rest of us waited for them to get the tickets before entering the park. As I glanced around something seemed wrong, but I couldn’t decide what it was. After we entered the park, we agreed on a time and a place to meet for lunch, and split into several groups. I of course went with my new friends, and actually abandoned my cousin Susan. She went her separate way, with another bunch of girls.

Before entering the water, we all laid down on some chaise lounges to get some sun. It was then that it finally dawned on me, that I hadn’t seen one guy, not even a ground’s crew, since we got there. That seemed strange. The few employees we had run into were all women. All of the patrons were female. I was truly baffled.

It was then that I opened my mouth to ask a question. Perhaps, if I had shut up, I would still be Robyn.

"What is wrong with this place?” I queried. "I haven’t seen one guy here. All I see is girls and ladies."

Tina, one of the local girls replied. "Duh, with a name like Bikini Beach, what do you think you’ll see?

I answered, "Well lots of girls in bikini's and lots of guys to see us strut our booty".

"Well you’re wrong," said Ashley. "That's why we complained when they picked this place over "Ab's Wild Rapids" or "Churning Waters."

Madison added, "Only women are allowed in here."

"Supposedly the old bat who owns this place, wants it open only to women, so that they can swim without guys gawking at them," Lauren exclaimed!

Tina added, "That's the whole point of coming to a place like this, a water park. You want to strut your stuff and show the guys what you got, and maybe make them hot.”

"Oh, so why didn’t't you protest and push to go somewhere else" I asked.

Well we would have, but tomorrow is another day. Since were stuck here today, we will demand we go to Ab's Wild Rapids tomorrow" Madison added.

“Why there and not the other place?” I asked.

"Well, we've never been there, but we hear that there are lots of cute guys there and from its name they must all be hunks" Lauren cooed.

Settling that, we started to swim, go into the wave pool and on the water slides until lunchtime.

We all gathered under the cabana, to discuss what we had done and eat lunch. We also started to discuss what was going to happen on Friday. Mom told us that she had heard from Dad and the other men and they had booked a fishing trip for early Friday morning. They had to leave the resort at 5:30 AM. She had to let him know if any of us wanted to join them. With a yuck or a disgusting sound here and there, none of the girls accepted the invitation.

She then said that the older women, tiring of pools, beaches and water parks, had decided to go to a fancy brunch and a fashion show. She told us that the pre-teen girls would be going to an American Girl doll show and store. The rest of us had choices. We could go to the fashion show. There were no takers. For a second choice, we could join the younger girls and go to the American Girl store. One thirteen-year old cousin of the groom, who had burned badly in the sun, opted to go with them. The other choice was to go to a water park, being dropped off at about 10:30 AM, and picked up at 5:00 P.M. The choice of parks was ours, but we were required to stay on the grounds the whole time.

Ten girls opted to do the water park thing. A dispute erupted about which park to visit. Five of us, including me, wanted to go to "Ab's Wild Rapids" and argued for that decision. Two girls liked it here at Bikini Beach and three wanted to go to "Churning Waters". Our arguing got so loud, that one of the Bikini Beach employees came over and asked us to quiet down. Susan's mom, my Aunt Dottie came over to mediate and the final resolution was that five of us would go to “Ab's Wild Rapids”, and five would go to “Churning Waters”.

After lunch, we returned to the park activities. We pretty much split into the same two groups as in the morning. The Ab's girls separate from the Churning girls. We Ab's girls were quite rowdy. Anyone close by could hear us discussing what we were going to do the next day. We whispered conspiratorially while putting down Bikini Beach for not allowing guys in. We talked about the teeny-weeny bikini's we would wear tomorrow and how we hoped to catch the eye of a guy or two.

I needed to use the ladies room, so I left the group, told them that I would be back soon, and not to run off to some other part of the park. After I was through with what I had to do, I walked over to a stand where they gave out free bottles of ice-cold water. Just as I was leaving, this very beautiful girl, about 23 years old, came over and tapped me on the shoulder. I think that I had seen her around the park, but I didn’t know who she was.

"Hi, Robyn, I’m Anya, my grandmother owns the park." She had addressed me by name.

Since I had not introduced myself, I wondered how she knew it.

"Uh yes, you’re right, my name is Robyn, nice to meet, you. Your grandma owns a very nice park."

"Well, that's not what you said about it to your friends. To quote you, you said, >without guys, this place is a real dump’."

I thought, how did she know what we were saying? We were talking quietly between ourselves and no one should have heard that.

Stuttering, I asked, "How do you know that? Do you have hidden microphones or cameras in the park? That kind of snooping is probably illegal!"

She laughed. "Yes, we have some security cameras, like all water parks and amusement parks, for safety, you know. But it was another sense that allowed me to overhear your conversation."

I didn’t know how to reply. I was wondering if she had heard what we said about her grandmother and if she would say or do something about it. I didn’t have long to wait for an answer.

Anya in a very chilling voice answered my unasked question.

"Grandmother is a very loving lady, but she can also be a tough boss and yes, some people who do not truly know her might think of her as an old bat."

I was starting to get worried about what was going on. She soothed my fears by adding, "We don’t punish thoughts like that, but bad actions will get some reaction."

"So, why aren’t you going to join your dad finishing tomorrow? You used to like doing that a lot didn’t you?"

This was getting scary. As Robert, I had done normal boy things and enjoyed most of them. I was not a stereotypical girl in a boy's body that hated to do male things. I did enjoy fishing as a boy, and would have looked forward to the fishing adventure. Even as Robyn, it might not have been my first choice of a thing to do, but I wouldn’t have rejected it outright as being something, that I a girl couldn’t or wouldn’t do.

She then added with a wry smile, "Of course going to an American Girl doll show, is too babyish for a big teenager like you. That last Hanukah before your "Scepter Adventure," I’m sure you would have jumped for joy if you had gotten that American Girl doll you so envied, instead of that huge Lego set you received. Isn’t that doll named Rebecca? That was your Bubbie's mother's name wasn't it?"

This was getting more then scary. How did this person I had just met, know all of this? There were only three people in the world who knew that secret. They were the Rabbi, my Bubbie and Susan. I didn’t think the Rabbi would be involved, and I knew Bubbie Elaine would take my secret to her grave. Would Susan tell this stranger? I didn’t't think so, but she had been angry with me, since the wedding.

"What are you saying? None of that is true." Of course, I was lying, but how would she know?

"I haven’t talked with your grandmother. And you’re right, she will take your secret to the grave. Don’t worry, that won’t happen for many years. As for Susan, she has your back, like she always has and always will. Even when you’re a jerk, she’ll protect you, just like, she has done in the past. As for Rabbi Loew, since your Halloween adventure, his own magical powers have helped to protect you from evil in your hometown."

I was truly tongue-tied and didn’t know what to say.

She then asked, "So what are you going to do tomorrow?”

I know I had to answer. So I blurted out; "Some of us are going to Ab's Wild Rapids."

Anya then inquired, "What do you know about Ab's Wild Rapids"?

"Just that there are lots of hunky guys there."

I wish I had listened carefully and thought about what she said next. If I had I might still be Robyn, but I was foolish and didn’t hear what she said. Oh, I heard the words all right, but didn’t comprehend their meaning.

"Yes, Robyn, there are lots of hunky men there. Everyone, that enters that park, leaves the park, as either a boy or a man, at least for a few hours."

I stood there looking at her for a while not knowing what to say.

Finally, she said, "Well Robyn, why don't you go back to your friends." I started to leave and was a few feet away, when she added something. I didn’t hear it clearly, and what she said only registered later the next night. "Be careful Robyn. You may meet up with someone named Dagan or Mr. Shahar tomorrow and if you do, it will be Robert flying home with his family."

I returned to the girls and we hung out for a few more hours until it was time to return to the hotel. Foolishly, I didn’t tell anyone, about what Anya and I had discussed. I thought I must have had heat exhaustion or something. The events of Halloween and the power of magic had faded from my memory.

The next morning we all split up. The men were long gone fishing. The younger girls were all dressed for their excursion to see the dolls and they left with a hired chaperone. The women were in the beauty salon being styled before their brunch and fashion show. The rest of us were in two groups, the Churning Waters group and the Ab's Wild Rapids group. Susan came over to me and asked me to go with her and abandon my new friends. I laughed at her and said something not nice.

The hotel shuttle bus dropped us off at Ab's Wild Rapids. The driver advised us that we were to meet the return shuttle at exactly 5:00 P.M. We agreed and got in line to buy our tickets. All we could see were hunky guys and double hunky guys. There were a few girls about our age, but no girls much younger and few women in line or milling around. That was surprising, because with all these guys around me I thought there would be more girls milling about.

Since we were going to buy our own tickets, as we approached the counter to pay for them, an usher directed us to separate windows. The person, behind the glass at my window, was partially obscured. I could not see him too well or read his nametag.

"What kind of ticket do you want Robyn? Normally, I am sure that you would just want a one-day pass, as your friends are buying. However, a good friend of mine suggested that you might be coming by today and said that if you did, that we should sell you a lifetime pass at the regular rate. After all, you are a special girl. Is that okay?"

I hesitated before answering. How did this guy know my name? Why would I need a lifetime pass? Why was I getting such a deal? Instead of the bells and whistles that should have been going off in my brain, I plunged ahead.

"Thank you that's very nice of you, I’ll take the lifetime pass. How much is it?"

He told me the price. I paid it and got the ticket. He then instructed me on what to do next.

If you want to call me an idiot, a fool, or worse, please do so. I know, since that day, I have called myself those names, and worse. You can’t believe I fell for this blatant stupidity, well I did. Hey, at least I can blame it on the magic.

I met my friends, and told them about my luck. They were jealous and ragged me a lot. We went through the turnstiles and headed for the changing room and the showers. We changed into our bikinis and left the locker room. There was a sign that all visitors must put on a special suntan lotion, sold only in the park. If you refused to do so, they would refund your money and you would have to leave. We didn’t want that to happen, so we got on a line to buy the lotion. There were separate lines for guys and girls. The concessionaire, a cute guy, told us the reason for separate lines, was that the formulation was different. We had to show him our passes before purchasing the bottle. The others got purple bottles and he told them to have a great day. He gave me a navy blue bottle, told me I was very lucky to have a lifetime ticket and to enjoy my life. I felt weird vibes, but was too foolish to listen to them.

Tina asked one of the park employees if it was okay if we asked one of the guys sunning themselves if they could rub the sunscreen onto us. He not only said that was okay, he pointed out some guys who would be willing to help us. We walked over to the five guys and they were most, accommodating in rubbing the lotion all over us. They covered our whole bodies. That they were wearing cloth gloves while doing so didn’t register as strange. We thanked them and decided to find a part of the beach to lie on and get some sun.

We gathered in a corner of the beach and then it started to happen. The first thing I noticed is that my hair started to recede. My beautiful brunette mid-back length hair now resembled the cut I wore for many years. Next, I felt my B-cup boobs, a prized possession, start to disappear, shrinking into my chest. I started to grow larger, heavier and taller. I knew what change was next, and what I feared most in life occurred. I knew there was something protruding between my legs. I was equipped as I had been before my Purim miracle. My bikini, the only thing I was wearing, had changed into a man's bathing suit.

The other girls didn’t seem to realize what had occurred. They began talking and acting like raunchy uncivilized teenage guys, let loose to act like fools. Their first comments were about the lack of any girls at the park, and Tommy the former Tina, yelled at Logan, the former Lauren and asked him why he had suggested that we come to this stupid place, when we could have gone somewhere else, even on a fishing excursion with our dads'. Their comments were typical of what might be expected.

I tried to determine if they had any recollection of their former selves and I could tell they had no clue as to what had occurred. I was fully cognizant of my being. I was Robert again, but I knew full well I had been Robyn. I felt like crying, but didn’t think that that was a wise choice. In a place like this crying might be a sign of my being a sissy, and who knew what the consequences of that would have been.

We went swimming, and like the day before I needed to take a piss. I would not have talked like that yesterday. However, today, speaking like that was expected.

I followed the same routine as yesterday and got a bottle of water. That is when someone approached me. I quickly realized it was the man from behind the glass at the ticket booth. It seemed to me that he was the personification of evil. All he lacked were horns and a tail.

"Hello Robert! How does it feel being male again? I hope you like it better than being that stupid girl Robyn! After all, we sold you a lifetime pass and you must know what that means?"

I thought, ‘Here we go again. A stranger is addressing me by both of my names.’

I answered with a dumb question. "What the fuck is going on?"

He said, "Let me introduce myself. My name is Dagan Shahar. I was a close friend of someone you knew. Someone who used to worship me. Her name was Cozbi, and you and that idiot Rabbi Loew and his monster killed her."

I started shivering and was scared speechless.

"She had suspected that you, rather than she, might survive that encounter. Her magical abilities foretold that if you did survive, that you would show up here someday. You were a stupid girl after all. She told me that if I ever sensed your presence, I should make sure that you got a lifetime pass."

"You couldn’t imagine my joy when I felt your presence in the area. I just hoped you would come to visit us. It wasn’t something that I could arrange, but only take advantage of. Your idiot cousin almost got in the way again. Even worse, were that stupid bitch Anya, her damn grandmother, and her stinking water park. They almost were my undoing. But you were the idiot I expected you to be, and now you’re stuck this way for life."

He continued, "I wish I could do more to you, but my masters won’t let me do any more. I guess making you a boy again will have to suffice. By the way, you’ll remember all that happened, but your friends, those bimbos, will return to normal at exactly midnight and forget that they were ever guys."

With a demonic laugh he walked away, leaving me devastated.

I returned to my friends who were acting like the asses they really were. I could not tell them what happened so I had to fake it until we returned to the hotel, where I excused myself and fled to our suite.

My parents, brother and sister who had returned earlier, greeted me as Robert. It was obvious that none of them had any clue of what was occurring. It was as if Robyn never existed. Obviously, I couldn’t say anything.

Since we would be having a formal Shabbat dinner, I needed to dress. Of course, I was now sharing a room with my brother, rather then with my sister. I dreaded opening the closet. The presence of a drab suit rather then several pretty dresses sealed my fate. I tried to get out of dinner by blaming sunburn, but that didn’t work.

I walked into the dining room and looked around. I wanted to avoid my Bubbie Elaine and my cousin. My efforts were for naught.

Even though Bubbie Elaine was my father's mother, she was invited to the wedding. She sat alongside, Grandma Rikki, and her Husband Grandpa Sam, who were obviously the bride's grandparents, at the head of the table. She looked at me, gave me a sad smile and shook her head. You could tell that she was upset. Other then a Gut Shabbos and other pleasantries, we didn’t talk about what happened for the remainder of the weekend.

That Friday night seating was informal. Nevertheless, they seated Susan and me next to each other. She greeted me with a look of despair and a tepid Gut Shabbos, Robert. You could see that it hurt her as much to say the name as for me to hear it. We were both quiet during the remainder of the evening, so much so that when we were asked if everything was alright, I lied and said that the sun had knocked me out and that I was very tired. I asked permission to leave the table and did so.

I kept to myself as much as possible for the remainder of the weekend. I got stuck in the middle seat between my brother and sister on the flight home. I was quiet the whole way. I guess any hope that the curse would wear off when we got home was dashed when I walked into my bedroom and any hints, even minor ones of Robyn, were gone. It was Robert's old room, with just some minor changes reflecting my aging two and a half years.

I avoided Bubbie Elaine for several weeks after we returned home. However, I couldn’t keep that up. Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur were soon upon us and avoiding her was impossible. We finally, discussed what happened. She didn’t reprimand me but unusually she also had nothing to offer in the way of help. She tried to console me, but her efforts failed.

I returned to school a week later. Everyone knew me as Robert, and life went on, as if I Robert, rather then Robin had attended school last year. The Jewish holidays passed with no change or little difference from the prior years. I wore a suit and my tallit to Shul, rather then a pretty dress. I longed to be a girl again, but I had little hope that would occur. I prayed for forgiveness with deep kavanah during the holidays. I hope that the sound of the last Shofar blast at the end of Yom Kippur might signify a new miracle, I yelled L'Shana H'Baha Yerushalem, Next year in Jerusalem, but it was as a tenor not a soprano.

The rest of the year passed without any change. I remained Robert, and everyone treated me as such. Nothing in my conduct revealed that I had ever been a girl. Robyn existed only in my daily thoughts. I was unable to get into being Robert, and refrained from becoming involved in activities, that as the pre-Purim Robert, I would have enjoyed. My parents noticed this and asked me what was wrong. Though I was still getting A's and B's in all my courses, I blamed schoolwork for my problems.

I am not sure if Susan stayed away from me, or I stayed away from her, but our close relationship was not what it had been before that terrible day in August. Halloween came and went. I didn’t go trick or treating, and attended no parties. Thanksgiving followed four weeks later. It was much like the Jewish Holidays. We had Thanksgiving at home. While I helped to set the table and do whatever mom wanted, it was as a chore that I have always done, and not a mother-daughter activity.

So finally, the school holiday for, as they now call it, the "Winter Break" was upon us. It is stupid to call it that since in reality it is a Christmas break. A real winter break would occur in late January when the likelihood of school being canceled due to snow was the greatest.

The last day of school was Friday, December 15 and we were to return to school on Tuesday, January 2. The Jewish day starts at sundown of the previous night. Therefore, we would light the first Chanukkah candle on Sunday night December 17, which was the 25th day of Kislev.

I was definitely not looking forward to any part of the two weeks. We would be getting together with family and friends several times. Enduring the endless cackle of uncles, aunts, cousins, neighbors and so-called friends would be unbearable. Sitting down to meals where I was supposed to put on a happy face, gave me indigestion days in advance of the event. If we exchanged presents I would have to smile and say thank you for gifts I didn’t want.

There was no one to come to my aid, or help me overcome my disappointment. Bubbie tried to protect my feelings and helped defuse unwanted questions. However, there was only so much that she could do. Susan and I still hadn’t returned to the close relationship we’d had. Luckily, it was not as bad as it had been through the end of October. I guess she thought I might do something stupid on Halloween. Our estrangement wasn’t her fault. My embarrassment over my own stupidity and carelessness was as much a cause of the problem as her anger about my failing to heed her warnings.

So as I began my story, it was Christmas Eve, and the last night of Channukah, and no one else was home. My parents joined by Susan's were driving up to Vermont, to a ski lodge called The Columbia-Waverly Holiday Inn. My parents left just after we finished an early dinner and lit candles at about 5:30. When they left, it was just flurrying, so I hoped they won’t run into any problems and need to turn back or get stuck before they arrived. My brother was staying at a friend's house, as was my sister. There had been some, make that lots of debate about me staying by myself, but with Bubbie living only a few blocks away, I prevailed. Susan had the same debate with her parents, and she won her argument. In past years, we might have joined in our efforts, but not this year. There had been some discussion that either she or me stay at the others house, but at the last minute that was nixed.

Therefore, I am here home without any companionship, except for Knish, on a cold and wintery night, with the snow blowing across the windowpanes. I watched some movies on TV. The first was one of the various adaptations of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol." There are so many versions of the movie, that right after watching it, I forgot who played Scrooge. Was it Mr. Magoo, Scrooge Mc'Duck, George C. Scott or someone else?

You might have asked why I didn’t watch a Hanukah, movie. That’s because except for a few children’s movies like “A Rugrats Chanukah”, there are none.

Of course, I watched that old classic; "It’s a Wonderful Life" next. I must have seen the movie in both black and white and colorized versions millions of times. Prior to that wonderful Purim, I often visualized that I had a guardian angel just like Clarence, who would have granted my wish. However, that wasn’t Clarence's job after all. He didn’t grant wishes he just showed you what life would’ve been like if you hadn’t been born.

While watching the movie, I started to have the same thoughts as before, and realized that I must have had a guardian angel or perhaps even the most superior Guardi-n after all. My Purim Miracle didn’t just happen. Why oh why couldn’t a new miracle, a Hanukah miracle, occur for me on this last night of a week of miracles?

It was almost midnight and being tired I decided to go to bed. I let Knish out the back door to do his nightly business. By now, the snow was about a foot deep. I had just finished, a cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream, and before going to the kitchen to wash it out, I walked around the house, and made sure that all the flames in all the Hanukkah menorahs were out, and the doors and windows were secure. I set the alarm and walked upstairs.

Reading from my siddur, I prayed as always, the normal prescribed nighttime prayer. Every night I added my personal prayer to be allowed to become Rachel Hadassah Bat Yakov again. Normally I prayed this silently. Tonight with the house empty, I prayed aloud, with extra kavanah, and tears in my eyes.

After I recovered, I dressed myself in warm pajamas. I guess if I were still Robyn, on a cold winter night like this my nightgown would not have been much different. Unlike the rhyme, I had neither a cap nor a kerchief on my head as I settled for this my night's sleep.

I had just settled snug in my bed and almost asleep and about to have my first dream, which I doubt would have been about dancing sugar-plums when out on the lawn I heard such a clatter that I sprung from my bed to see what was the matter. I then heard a knocking on the door and a stone thrown against my window.

I was scared. Here I was home alone, with no one to assist me. I could call Bubbie, but, it was late and I was afraid a call would scare her. I contemplated what to do. So away to the window I flew like a flash and I opened the Venetian blinds by pulling on the sash. No, I didn’t see a miniature sled and eight tiny reindeer, driven by a man in a Coca Cola Red Suit. I saw what appeared to be my cousin Susan, all bundled up. She was rapping on the door and it was getting louder and louder. It looked like there was someone with her. I couldn’t tell from the way they were dressed what type of person, man or woman, girl or boy, or perhaps something else was with her. (No, I am not crazy, I have dealt with clay men and witches, {apparently both good and bad} and other weird wicked creatures in the last two years.). I had to do something.

I looked around the room, and the first thing I noticed was the BB gun that I had gotten for Chanukkah a few years ago. I had not really wanted it. My father got the idea from some idiotic Christmas movie that had been in the theaters and on TV a few years earlier. I had used it a few times, but it had mainly sat in the closet otherwise untouched for at least three years. I didn’t give much thought to know how it had moved from the back of the closet to the front as I picked it up and pumped to load a BB in the chamber. Better to be armed I thought just in case.

Walking down the steps, I flicked on all of the lights I could. Just before opening the door, I deactivated the alarm. Maybe that was the wrong thing to do. As I was doing that, I yelled for Knish to join me.

I went to open the door. I had the BB gun and Knish to protect me. What was I thinking? I unlocked the door, stepped back, and yelled, "Come in, the door’s unlocked", letting those outside open it up. I backed away and held my trusty BB gun at the ready.

"What took you so long? It’s freezing out there," screamed Susan as she pushed the door open, stepped inside, shaking off the snow, stomping her boot clad feet and peeling off her matching scarf, gloves and hat. While doing this she beckoned whomever or whatever was accompanying her inside. Her traveling mate slowly and awkwardly ambulated inside.

"Umm, I was in bed already. I was tired. There was nothing on TV to watch except the umpteenth rerun of ‘A Miracle on 34th Street’ or ‘Charlie Brown's Christmas.’” As I pointed to her and the bundled up figure beside her, I said, "I didn’t expect any night visitors."

She looked at me, and her eyes widened as she saw the BB gun in my arms. "Do you really think that stupid gun will protect you?" she asked with a snicker.

With a look of embarrassment, I put the gun down. Knish, who loved Susan, was growling at the stranger.

"What are you doing here? Your mother and father will kill you if they knew you were out so late! More importantly, who is this?”

"Who do you think would be outside with me, after mid-night on a night like this?"

"I am not in the mood for a game of ten questions." As I glanced toward Susan, I got a better look at her companion. As she began to help uncloak her companion, I knew who, or what it was. Standing 7 feet tall and weighing at least 350 lbs. of pure muscle, it was the Golem. I immediately had a strange thought; perhaps that poem was right and there was a creature stirring in the house, tonight.

Before, I got a chance to repeat the question, Susan started to explain, "After, I went to bed, I began having nightmares. I dreamt that Cozbi had returned and was coming to attack you. I got up in a sweat. I tried calling you, but you did not answer either your cell or home phone. I quickly got dressed and decided to come over and warn you. I left the house and I knew my trip would be difficult. Clouds obscured the moon, and the snow was still falling. I could hardly see because the wind was blowing the snow into my face. Moving through the deep snow was difficult, almost impossible."

After taking a deep breath, she continued, " I had trudged no more then a half block before I noticed something huge approaching me. As I tried to run, I said a quick Shema. The thing intercepted me. My heart stopped. My breath froze in midair. I feared the worst, but then the cloak covering its head fell off and I knew I was safe."

"Knowing I was now safe, we continued to your house. It was slow going. Golem does not move too fast, unless he is on a mission. We did not see anyone else on the street. I couldn’t imagine anyone else being out on a night like this."

"What is the Golem doing with you? Did you see Rabbi Loew?" Before I could continue that train of thought there was a knocking on the door. Simultaneously, several things happened. Knish started barking. I picked up the BB gun and with Susan backed away. The Golem placed himself in between the door and us.

The next thing we saw was the door opening. I am not sure about Susan, but with the Golem here to protect us, I wasn’t afraid. If it had just been Susan and me, I would have been terrified. While I had never seen him bundled up for a frigid winter night, I knew that our visitor was Rabbi Loew.

As he entered the room and began taking off his coat he said, "Chag Hanukkah Sameach kindallach, I hope my Golem did not scare you? Tell me, to which of the two of you did the Golem come to help?”

"Me," replied Susan.

“Nu, so, what happened to cause the Golem to stop his normal routine and come to your assistance on this night? Why did the Golem sense danger?"

"I dreamt that Cozbi had returned, and was coming to hurt, Robyn." Stuttering she continued, “I mean Robert. I tried calling him, her. Oh, I’m so confused, but he didn’t pick up the phone. I got dressed and started walking to her house. I had not gotten too far when the Golem showed up and walked me the rest of the way."

At that point, I inquired of the Rabbi, "I thought you kept the Golem secured. Why was he outside and without you?"

"It’s a long story. He is acting as he was taught, by my Alter Zaide, the Rabbi Loew of Prague, back around 1560. Unfortunately, back then evil people would attack Jews on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The Golem walked throughout the Ghetto of Prague on that night and day and scared off the hooligans. Baruch Ha'Shem that is something that we in the United States, a much more tolerant and blessed land, do not have to worry about."

Continuing, with a benign smile he turned towards Susan and changed the subject, AShoshanna Abigail (the Rabbi always called both of us by our Jewish names) I don’t know why you dreamed of Cozbi. Maybe you ate too many latkes and too much chocolate Chanuka gelt before you went to bed. Don’t worry, I can assure you Cozbi, is no longer a threat. She has returned to Gehennom, where she belongs."

For the first time since Rabbi Loew had entered the house, I noted that there was another individual in the room. He must have followed Rabbi Loew in. It was strange that the Rabbi had not introduced him in any manner. That simply wasn’t his way. This stranger whose had not said anything and was simply hovering in the background.

Susan said, "The dream was so real, Rabbi are you sure?”

As he nodded in her direction he turned to me, "While you are Raphael (my Jewish name as a boy), I must address you that way. Raphael, you have studiously avoided me since the end of the summer. Did you not think that I knew who you were and who you had been? You were so afraid of me, not even to wish me a L'Shana Tova during Rosh Hashana, or a single Gut Shabbos, all these weeks."

While I hung my head, and shrugged, he prodded, "So tell me the whole story, from the beginning of how the change occurred, and don’t leave anything out!"

He sat down in one of the chairs in the living room, and Susan and I followed suit. I started my story and told him everything that happened. Susan interrupted a few times to correct some errors, but mostly to indicate that from her point of view, she thought that I, as Robyn had been acting like a jerk. She added something else that I did not know. Both of my parents, Bubbie, Grandma and Grandpa, and several other relatives had noticed my conduct and were upset about it. They had let it slide at the time, because they figured that I was acting that way because of the influence of some of the girls I had met during the wedding. They had intended to call Robyn on the carpet when we returned home. Obviously, Robert's behavior didn’t require a dressing down.

After I finished my story, I waited for the Rabbi to continue. It took a few minutes for him to say anything. You could hear the clock on the wall ticking away the seconds.

"Dagan Shahar is nothing to worry about any longer. His magic is weak and limited. Of course, Raphael, as the victim of his powers, you don’t see it that way. However, you’re safe from those powers unless you visit that park again, and while you have acted recklessly, foolishly and without thought of the consequences on two occasions, I don’t think you are that stupid."

His words hurt. I felt conflicting emotions. Should I act brave, as a boy is expected to do, or should I let my emotions out, and cry, which would be acceptable for a girl to do? I didn’t have to make that choice because Susan solved the problem for me. She got up from her chair, walked around the table, put her arms around me and gave me a hug, a hug that best friends might give another at an emotional time like this. Her hug gave me the strength to remain calm. I neither had to act tough like the boy I now was, nor did I have to act emotionally like the girl I used to be.

I looked at Susan and we both knew that what Rabbi Loew had said must be the truth. We were both safe. I thought that now that we had nothing to fear from either Cozbi or Shahar, the Rabbi would leave, and take Susan home. The Golem would of course leave as well to either return to his home with the Rabbi, or continue his long ago programmed patrols.

"So, Raphael, what must we do about you? Who do you wish to be? Twice you were granted an unheard-of miracle, and twice you’ve let the miracle be for naught!"

He slowly walked toward me and placed his hand on my chin, and raised my head slightly. With his powerful gaze, he looked into my eyes, and I know, into the core of my existence. He also saw into my brain and my heart. Since I did believe that all humans have a Nefesh, a soul, their connection with HaShem, I knew he was peering into that as well. He remained in that position for what seemed an eternity.

When we discussed this latter on that night, Susan told me that we, he and I were locked in that position for almost a half-hour. She explained that it was the strangest thing to behold. She also explained that she noticed the other individual for the first time. She said that he stood behind Rabbi Loew that entire thirty minutes.

Finally, the Rabbi started to speak. “Rachel Hadassah bat Miriam,” (While he was saying this, I noticed several things immediately, first, he had addressed me as Rachel Hadassah my girl’s name and not as Raphael Yitzchak ben Yakcov, my boy’s name, as he had earlier in the night. Second, he addressed me as Bat, not Ben, meaning daughter not son, and he finally he had used my mother’s name rather then my father’s name. That was significant. It is how the Mi Sheberach prayer, the prayer for health, well-being and recovery is said.) “Your soul is that of a girl. However, it seems that your mind is in conflict. I can try to help you this one last time, but I must know who you are, and who you want to be forever. The person you will always be must be vigilant to protect from all forms of evil.”

I started to say something but he waved his hand to silence me.

"Sha, don't talk, just listen. If Mertz HaShem, you can become Rachel Hadassah again, it will be the final time you can make the transition. If you will stumble again, and return to being Raphael Yitzchak, then you will remain a male forever. You may speak now. What do you have to say?”

"Please Rabbi, I so want to be the girl, the woman; I know that in my Nefesh, I am. I promise, I will take a vow, that I will protect my soul from anything evil that might harm me." As he started to say something, I interrupted his thought. "Rabbi Loew, in Hebrew High School, Rabbi Zalman taught us about vows. He explained them when we studied about Samson, the vows he made, and the consequences when he broke his vow. I know full well the seriousness of making one."

For the first time Rabbi Loew acknowledged the stranger. He motioned for me to follow him into the living room. He beckoned the stranger to follow us into the room. It was dark inside the room except for the light that entered the room from the windows. Apparently, the snow had ceased falling and the only light was that reflected from the first sliver of the new moon of the month of Tevet.

He explained to me in a whisper what I needed to say and do, to complete the vow. Before I did anything further, he explained that this vow was between HaShem and me and I should never tell anyone what had transpired. I nodded my understanding. He also explained that he and the still unnamed stranger would act as the two required witnesses to what would occur. I then said what he told me to say, and I did what he told me to do.

After I completed the process, something strange happened. A flame appeared in all nine reservoirs of the three oil Hanukiahs. There had been no flame, or any evidence of something smoldering when we entered the room.

I turned to the Rabbi. He looked as astonished as I felt and am sure my face reflected. We both must have gasped as Susan, ran into the room. The Golem followed, with a look of trepidation.

"Rabbi, the Menorahs were all out when I went to bed. I checked to make sure. I always do so to make sure that a fire did not start. There wasn’t even a drop of oil left in them"

"Are you sure Robyn?" Exclaimed Susan.

With a disdainful look, I replied, "Of course I’m sure. Not only that, we used up all the olive oil we had in the house."

"So Shoshanna Abigail", Rabbi Loew interjected, "might you tell me what this might mean? I don't think the answer is too difficult."

Susan yelled, "Its Hanukkah miracle."

I added, "The miracle was that the Menorah in the Beit Ha Mikdash burned for eight days, on the one cruse of oil the Maccabees found. It should have burned for only one day. It would take eight days to squeeze enough oil for it to burn longer."

"Shayna maydelach, that’s excellent. But, you learned that when you were little children, in pre-school. That is the reflected open, easy to see miracle. Do you know what the other part of the Miracle was?”

I started and Susan joined in, this is something that we both knew. We both smiled as we said it, proud to show off our knowledge.

"HaShem delivered the mighty into the hands of the weak, the many into the hands of the few, the impure into the hands of the pure, the wicked into the hands of the righteous."

"And where does that come from?"

“From Al HaNisim,” I replied.

Susan concluded, "We say that in the Shemonah Esray and Birkat HaMazon, during the eight days of Chanukah and on Purim."

With his hands, like a conductor, he motioned us to follow him, and we began to sing, to the tune of Moaz Zur.

"Al hanisim v'al hapurkan v'al hag'vurot v'al hat'shuot, v'al hamilchamot she-asita la-avoteinu bayamim haheim bazman hazeh..."
(We thank You also for the miraculous deeds and for the redemption and for the mighty deeds and the saving acts wrought by You, as well as for the wars which You waged for our ancestors in ancient days at this season.)

That is when it began to happen. A big smile came to my face. The first thing I noticed was my hair had begun to grow. In a few seconds, it was down the middle of my back. I then felt other changes occurring. I turned around. The Rabbi was there so I needed to be respectful. Perhaps my failure to protect my modesty in August was part of my downfall. I yelled at Susan, "Please, hurry up and get me my long robe."

I then looked to see where the stranger was standing. I did not want to be disrespectful to him either. I looked in all directions, but he was gone. He had simply disappeared.

She ran up the stairs. She returned quickly and I donned my long floor length robe and tied it.

I turned around to face Rabbi Loew.

He smiled, "Mazel tov, Rachel!"

That was enough. Both Susan and I were jumping for joy.

We noticed the Rabbi followed by the Golem leaving via the front door. After kissing the Mezuzah, he turned to us and said, "Happy Chanukah to all, and to all a goodnight!”
 
 
Epilogue 1:

Later when Susan and I saw Rabbi Loew the following Saturday night, after we both wished him a Gut Vok and Shuva Tov after the Havdalah service, I asked, “Rabbi who was that with you at my house? You never introduced him.”

Smiling he answered, “You didn’t recognize him? I’m truly surprised! Robyn, when you were born he visited you at your Bris.” Susan and I looked at each other open mouthed and bewildered. The Rabbi continued, “You must know who it was, he visits you at both Seders every year.” I know I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. As he started walking away, he was chuckling and with a big grin, the Rabbi continued, “You just sang about him didn’t you? You just sang, ‘Eliyahu Hanavie, Eliyahu Hatishbi, Elyahu Hagiladi, Bimherah Yavo Elenu Im Mashiach Ben David.’” (Elijah the Prophet, Elijah the Tishbite, Elijah the Giladite, May he soon come to us, with Mashiach the son of David’).
 
 
Epilogue 2:

The following summer, Susan and her family stayed at the same resort we had visited for the wedding. On her return she told me that she had passed by Ab’s Wild Rapids and that there was in large letters on the marquee the following, Ab’s Wild Rapids is under “NEW and IMPROVED MANAGEMENT”. I wondered what that meant. I guess Rabbi Loew was right; Dagan Shahar wouldn’t be a danger to me any longer. I also wondered how that occurred.
 
 
Glossary
 
I have used certain terms throughout the story that are Jewish in context. Some might be familiar to most of the readers. Others might be new. I have given a basic description of each word/phrase. These pretty much follow their order of appearance in the story. Many of the terms are transliteration from the Hebrew or Yiddish. As Shalimar pointed out to me in a note, the “ch” is pronounced like the “ch” in German. It is similar to an attempt to bring up flem. If you need any deeper explanation of a word, or concept please PM me and I will answer all questions.

Hanukkah An eight day Jewish Holiday that starts on the 25th day of Kislev according to the Jewish calendar. It usually occurs sometime during the month of December. It celebrates the victory of the Maccabees over the Syrian-Greeks. Part of the holiday commemorates the miracle of Menorah burning eight days with oil that should last for just one day. Since the English spelling of Hanukkah is based on a transliteration from Hebrew, there are many different spellings for the word. Based on a list of Google searches there are at least 13 more popular spellings and several very strange ones. I have intentionally used several in my story.

Hanukkiahs/Menorahs A nine-branched candelabra lit during the eight-days of Hanukkah. The ninth holder, is called the Shamash is for a candle used to light all other candles. Candles or Olive Oil are used to light the Menorah.

HaShem Literally means The Name, and is the commonly used form when speaking or writing about G-d. The words for L-ord and G-d as written and pronounced in Hebrew are used only while praying or religious study. L-ord and G-d are never written out since it is considered improper to erase or deface G-d’s name.

Baruchot Plural of Baruchah, Meaning Blessing. Many Jewish Prayers Begin Baruch Atah HaShem. Blessed are you L-rd

Maoz Tzur
Rock of Ages. A traditional Jewish song sung on Channukah after lighting the candles. This is not the same Rock of Ages as the Christian hymn.

Mi Yemalel A song taken from Psalm 106.2. The first line reads in translation. “Who can retell the mighty feats of Israel.”

Potato Latkes Potato Pancakes. A traditional Hanukkah dish.

Sufganiyot Jelly donuts. A popular substitute for Latkes in Israel. They are fried in oil.

Dreidel A top, used on Hanukkah

Bubbie Grandmother

Alter Bubbie- Alter means old or older, thus Alter Bubbie would be Great-Grandmother

Megilah The parchment scroll containing the Story of Esther. It is read on Purim.

Golem Basically a man of clay. Many stories have him made by Rabbi Judah Loew of Prague, in the 1500’s. See my story The Miracle Lost, The Miracle Regained.

Aufruf Traditionally, on the Shabbos before his wedding, a man receives an Aliyah (is called up to the Torah), when it is read. In Reform and Conservative Synagogues, the Aliyah might be given to both the Bride and the Groom.

Ketubah A significant (required) part of a traditional Jewish wedding is a Ketubah, or marriage contract. The Ketubah sets out the requirements that a Jewish Husband owes to his Wife. It is signed prior to the wedding ceremony. According to Jewish religious law, it is a significant legal document. As such, it requires two witnesses. The Ketubah is read during the ceremony.

Bedeckening Before the wedding ceremony is to begin, the groom is escorted to or visits the bride, who traditionally he has not seen that day and places the veil over her head. This is to make sure that he is marrying the woman he intends to. (See the Leah/Rachel/Jacob story in Genesis.) During the wedding, the Chosson lifts the Challah’s veil twice so she can drink from the glass of wine.

Kallah Hebrew for bride.

Chosson Hebrew for Groom

Escorted by both her parents down the aisle. In a Jewish wedding, the Bride’s father does not give her away. The Bride walks down the aisle escorted by both her father and her mother to the Chupah. The same procedure occurs for the groom.

Chupah A Jewish wedding takes place under a canopy. It can range from very simple to very ornate. There are many different explanations and customs regarding the Chupah.

Mazel Tov Good Luck.

Breaking a glass The last part of a Jewish wedding ceremony is for the groom to break a glass, traditionally the one used for the wine which is drunk during the marriage service. The most common explanation is that, even at this happiest moment, we should recall the destruction of the Temple and times of sadness.

Shabbat dinner On Friday night it is required/traditional to have a festive dinner. The meal starts with Kiddush, a prayer over wine. It is common for young children (3 years old or perhaps younger) to have a sip of wine.

Four cups of wine at Passover The Passover Seder includes drinking 4 cups of wine, again it is common for young children (3 years old or perhaps younger) to have a sip of wine.

Bris (or Brit Milah) A Jewish boy is circumcised on the eighth after his birth, as commanded by G-d to Abraham. Normally, either a pacifier or a bit of gauze is dipped in wine, and the bay sucks on it during the ceremony.

L'Chaim To Life. This is the standard Jewish for a toast. It is said on happy occasions.

Dagan Shahar. Both are the names of Canaanite gods.

Cozbi A Midianite
princess who tried to seduce leaders of Israel after Billam failed to curse the tribes of Israel. See my story A Miracle Lost, A Miracle Regained.

Gut Shabbos Good Sabbath

Tallit/Tallis Fringed garment warn for Synagogue Services.

Shul Yiddish term for a Synagogue

Kavanah Praying with deep though, intention and intensity

Shofar Ram’s Horn used on Rosh Hashanah and at the end of Yom Kippur

L’Shana H'Baha Yerushalem Next year in Jerusalem. This is a saying at the end of Yom Kippur Prayers and Passover Seders. It signifies the wish that at the same time the next year, we would be living in Jerusalem. Its essential religious meaning is that the Messiah will have come.

Hanukkah Gelt Before the Americanization of Hanukkah as a holiday occurring during the Christmas season, gifts given to children were generally a few coins. Today, candy in the form of coins, is a treat given to children. (As a chocoholic, I still enjoy a bag or two).

Chag Hanukkah Sameach Happy Hanukah

Kindallach
Children.

Gehennom
Hell

Mertz HaShem
G-d Willing

Shayna maydelach Pretty Girls

New moon of the month of Tevet The Jewish calendar is a lunar calendar. Traditionally, the months begin when the new moon is sighted. Now it is calculated in advance. Channukah falls in two Jewish Months.
 
 
Maoz Tzur
Transliteration

Ma-oz Tzur Y'shu-a-ti
Le-cha Na-eh L'sha-bei-ach
Ti-kon Beit T'fi-la-ti
V'sham To-da N'za-bei-ach
L'eit Ta-chin Mat-bei-ach
Mi-tzar Ha-mi-ga-bei-ach
Az Eg-mor B'shir Miz-mor
Cha-nu-kat Ha-miz-bei-ach
Az Eg-mor B'shir Miz-mor
Cha-nu-kat Ha-miz-bei-ach

Stanza 1: Popular English Translation (Rock of Ages)
Rock of ages, let our song
Praise Your saving power;
You, amid the raging foes,
Were our sheltering tower.
Furious they assailed us,
But Your arm availed us,
And Your word,
Broke their sword,
When our own strength failed us.

Mi Yemalel
Mi yemalel gvurot Yisra'el,
'otan mi yimneh?
Hen bechol dor yaqum hagibor,
go'el ha'am.
Shma'! Bayamim hahem bazman hazeh,
Makabi moshia' ufodeh,
uvyameinu kol 'am Yisra'el,
yit'akhed, yaqum veyiga'el.

Who can retell,
the things that befell us,
Who can count them?
In every age a hero or sage,
Came to our aid.
Hark! In days of yore in
Israel's ancient land,
Brave Maccabeus led the
faithful band.
But now all Israel must as one
arise,
Redeem itself through deed and
sacrifice.
Who can retell,
the things that befell us,
Who can count them?
In every age a hero or sage,
Came to our aid.

 
 
End of Twas the Night.

up
72 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Miracle of miracles...

Andrea Lena's picture

...deliverance! Chag sameach! And blessings upon your household, dearest of dears!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

So, Bikini Beach has a

negative version in Ab’s Wild Rapids. Has the SRU Wizard or The Boss Lady taken over?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Happy Hanukkah

Chag Urim Sameach! Great story

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

I enjoyed helping edit the

elrodw's picture

I enjoyed helping edit the story. It was nice that the author asked for suggestions and comments. It was very helpful to read the first two installments to fill in the holes. As to Abs being canon BB, remember that BB was just a bit player, for a brief scene, and not the heart of the transformation.

Nice way to complete the trilogy and bring a happy ending!

Imagination is more important than knowledge
A. Einstein

Nice Change

I like the revisions you did at the end. Thank you for considering my suggestions.

Beautiful story.

shalimar

Nice Rami!

This was an interesting tale. Robyn was very fortunate to be blessed with change not once, not twice, but three times. I would hope that was the charm! Most of us would be forever greatful for just once! The lesson is be thankful for your blessing and ever vigilant for they can be taken away quicker than they are bestowed. Thanks Rami! Seasons greetings, (Hugs) Taarpa

Robyn

WillowD's picture

I am beginning to think Robyn is an idiot. It's still a good story though.