Sarah Carerra - 3.27 - A Very Carerra Chorus

Printer-friendly version

>

When I arrived I only had a moment to take a deep breath before Cole opened the door. Mr. Benson was talking to the class, but he quickly lost their attention when they saw me enter the room.

Sarah Carerra 3: Concerto in A-
Chapter 3.27 - A Very Carerra Chorus
by Megan Campbell
Copyright  ©2012 Megan Campbell
Released: November 12, 2012

Editor Note: The images used for this story were purchased and used under royalty-free license* from iStockphoto.com . ~Sephrena
Author Note: Please email me at AngelJediGirl (at) gmail (dot) com before posting this story to any other site. Posting to a pay site is prohibited.

Comments and suggestions are also welcome at the above email address.

*  *  *

Sarah Carerra Book 3: Concerto in A-

Chapter 3.27 - A Very Carerra Chorus

The first few days of November felt almost normal, or at least like what I remembered normal to be before Sarah came into my life. The only thing I had to look forward to each day was school, and, well, that didn't compare to what was usually going on in Sarah's life. I did visit Mr. Benson during lunch on Tuesday to talk about an idea I had for including Mark in the Christmas Concert. He seemed to like the idea, so we spent most of the time discussing the visit Sarah was going to make to the Chorus on Thursday to talk about the Christmas Concert. That visit would officially kick off the preparations for the Christmas Concert. I had mixed emotions — I was excited to return to Chorus, at least as Sarah. But I was also very nervous at being around them as my alter-ego. Nevertheless it was something I had to do.

When I arrived at school on Wednesday morning I was surprised to find a number of posters advertising the Autumn Ball that was being held the following week. I had been so busy with Sarah that I hadn't even realized that the dance was coming up, let alone doing anything to prepare for it. I figured that Emily and I would be going together since neither of us was in relationships. Ethan would probably join us since he was similarly unattached. It would be my first big dance since my life had taken the drastic turn it had over the summer, and I was excited to go.

That same elation seemed to permeate the students at my school and there was a buzz in the air all morning. That excitement was palpable all morning and was the discussion around our lunch table. Everyone seemed to be looking forward to the first big dance of the school year, and I was no exception.

When Jane's phone rang toward the end of lunch her excitement took on an entirely new level. I didn't have to ask to know that it was Scott calling her. I watched as she listened excitedly and I waited to congratulate her on her record contract.

Then I saw her happy face turn crestfallen, and in my mind it brought the entire cafeteria to a standstill. I thought for sure that she would get a contract! But the tears that started to escape her eyes told me that wasn't the case as she listened to what Scott had to say. I reached out and grabbed her hand and she looked over at me. Sobs started to escape her as she met my eyes. I wasn’t sure if I could imagine what she was feeling, because I hadn’t been rejected by Olympic Records.

"Thank you," was the only thing she was able to speak before hanging up the phone, but I doubted she felt the words. I squeezed her hand in comfort, but I knew it wouldn't help. She was crying hard now and Ashley and Kathy, her two best friends, wrapped their arms around her as they tried to comfort her.

My phone started ringing, and I felt her hand slip out of my own as I reached for my bag to retrieve it. I sighed when I saw that Scott was calling me now, and stood up before stepping away from the table.

"Hi, Scott," I said.

"I guess you're with Jane," he replied, recognizing my tone of voice. "I'm sorry, Sarah. If it was up to me I would offer her a contract. She's an amazing singer and I hate to see her walk away. But there isn't anything I can do."

"Why not her?" I asked. If she was that talented then why wouldn't the talent managers at Olympic Records give her a contract?

"Matt felt she didn't have the 'spark'," he said referring to Matt Thompson, the Director of Talent at the company. He had been the guy who had signed me to my record deal, and I knew he was fair. I didn't agree with him, however. "She might have luck at a smaller record company, but that might be a long shot. I'm really sorry, Sarah, I know how much you two wanted this."

I looked over at Jane, who was still crying a few feet away. She was looking at me, however, and I had a feeling she knew who I was talking to.

"What about the other thing we discussed?" I asked, trying to be cryptic so she wouldn't know what I was asking yet.

"That's up to you," he said. "Our contract is with you."

"Okay, thanks, Scott," I replied before saying goodbye and hanging up the phone. Jane's other option felt more like a consolation prize, and I didn't know how she would react to it.

"What did he say?" Jane asked immediately as I pulled the phone away from my ear. I knew that she was hoping I had better news, but I didn't.

"He said that if it was up to him, you'd have a contract," I replied. That was apparently something he hadn't told her because it made her cry some more. "I'm sorry, Jane. I really am. I thought for sure you were going to get a contract. You are amazing."

My words sounded hollow even to myself, even though I sincerely believed that Jane was a wonderful singer. I stepped back to the table and sat down again before taking her hand in my own once more.

"This might feel like the end of the world," I told her. "But I happen to know that Sarah Carerra is planning to have you sing a number of songs with her at the Christmas Concert. She too thinks you are amazing, and I'm sure she can help."

It wasn't much, but it did bring a slight smile to her face.

* * *

On Thursday afternoon I felt weird when instead of heading for the Study Hall that had replaced Chorus in my schedule I headed out to my car and drove home. Once I arrived home I quickly changed and put on the wig before I was once again heading back to the school. This time, as Sarah.

Walking down the vacant halls of the school toward the Chorus room was also a unique experience, because Cole and Amy were accompanying me. I doubted that a bodyguard would be necessary at the school, but his stoic presence seemed to keep the few people who were in the halls from doing much more than scream with excitement when they saw me. I always smiled back, but I continued to the classroom.

When I arrived I only had a moment to take a deep breath before Cole opened the door. Mr. Benson was talking to the class, but he quickly lost their attention when they saw me enter the room.

Once the screaming and the clamoring to get near me had subsided, Mr. Benson was able to get everyone back into their seats and I joined him at the front of the classroom.

"Sarah is here to talk about the Christmas Concert," Mr. Benson told the class. "We have six weeks to prepare, and that isn't much time. Sarah?"

"Thank you," I replied and the class looked at me. Amy was holding a piece of paper out to me and I took it before she started to pass out copies to the rest of the class. "This is a schedule of the songs we'll be singing," I told the class. “It ranges from using the entire Chorus to certain individuals. I've been working with Mr. Benson to help me decide who will be best for each of the songs. But everyone will get a chance to sing multiple songs on stage."

Somebody raised a hand while he was looking down at the paper, and when I noticed it was Mark I knew what he was going to say.

"I thought I was the top boy in the class," Mark said and he sounded upset. I promptly repressed my anger and I tried to control my emotions. "Shouldn't I be singing the duets with Sarah?"

"Sarah has requested these assignments herself," Mr. Benson said cautiously. I knew he was as reluctant to get into an argument as I was. "I'm afraid that it is Mr. Knight who will be singing these duets."

Mark turned red and I knew that he wasn't going to accept what Mr. Benson had told him without a fight. He turned toward me.

"No offense, Sarah," he started, which would not have endeared me to his plea if I didn't already know him. "But I think that you will want the best singer to sing with you. That's me."

I opened my mouth to reply, but was cut off by Mr. Benson before I got the chance.

"Mr. Corbin," he said sternly. "I thought you would be happy with what Sarah has given you. You basically have a whole song to yourself. No other member of this Chorus will have that much attention. I suggest that you be grateful."

Mark didn't like that. He wanted more. I could see it in his eyes. He wanted to sing with me.

"I am grateful," Mark said. "But I'm just thinking about what is best for Sarah."

I almost lost it right there. Mark had no idea what was best for me! He had no right to tell me how I should be a multi-platinum recording artist!

"Mark," I growled, and my tone caused him to take a step away from me. "I respect your opinion, but I have made my decision with the help of Mr. Benson. I assure you that I have the best individuals performing each song and I think you should respect my decision."

"I understand," he shot back. "But--"

"No, Mark!" I nearly shouted back. There was fury in my eyes and I glared at him. "I have a number of friends in this Chorus. I know all about you and how you treat them! It is only because Mr. Benson pleaded your case that I have included you in the program. Do you understand? I suggest you sit down right now before I change my mind."

I didn't want to lose my temper in front of the class, but I was very close to doing so. I prayed that Mark would sit back down and shut up, but I knew it was unlikely. Mark wanted to be the center of attention, but I refused to give him the opportunities he felt he was entitled to.

Mark took another step back at my outburst, and it looked like he was going to sit down for a moment, but he opened his mouth once more instead.

"You don't know me," he shot back, and I was surprised that he felt confident enough to argue with someone like Sarah Carerra. "You can't know me from what Megan has told you. She--"

"I have known her since we were little girls, Mark!" I told him. "Don't think for a second that I'm not going to listen to her. And no, I did not base my decisions on her words alone. I've known Ethan nearly as long. I consider Jane a friend. Paul was the inspiration for one of my songs. And none of them have had very nice things to say about your attitude. I'm afraid that you are not the type of person that I want to sing a duet with even if you are an amazing singer. And for the record I DO think that you are an amazing singer. So you had better sit down and shut up, or you won’t even be at the concert. Got it?"

He was pissed, and I knew that he wanted to scream back at me. But he seemed to realize how bad of an idea that would be and he finally sat down. The class fell into an awkward silence for a moment before Mr. Benson finally spoke again.

"Okay," he said. "As you can see from your paper we have a lot of work to do to get ready. Besides learning the songs there is going to be some choreography to learn."

There were some disconcerting glances around the room at that announcement.

"You won't be dancing," I told them and watched as a number of sighs of relief escaped them. "There are a few individuals who will have more intricate choreography as part of their larger roles in the songs, but most of the dancing will be done by professional dancers. But you will have to move on and off the stage depending on the song. If your name is listed as one of the principal singers for a song and you are worried about the choreography, please talk to me after class. But for the most part it shouldn't be too bad. Okay?"

There was some general agreement around the room even though some of them still seemed uncomfortable. We had already hired Kate Abernathy, the choreographer for my concert tour, to provide the choreography for the Christmas Concert, but I hadn't met with her yet. Nevertheless it seemed unlikely that there would be much that the class would need to learn.

"Other things to know," I said while looking over the sheet. "We will be selling albums of the Christmas Concert and each of you will receive one for free. We will be in a recording studio at the end of the month to record them. That's the week after Thanksgiving. If you can't make it please talk to Amy here. Let's see." I scanned the paper again to see if there was any other information I needed to tell them. "The concert itself will be a live performance on TV on December 17. We will be performing at the Nokia Theatre downtown. It should be a lot of fun!"

I smiled at the class, though most of them looked overwhelmed. That was understandable. I knew they would be ready, because Mr. Benson would see to that.

"I believe we are also doing stage rehearsals the two weeks before the concert, is that correct?" Mr. Benson asked.

I looked at Amy, who was in charge of the scheduling, and she nodded.

"Yes," I told him. "But the entire chorus will likely not have to be there every day. Those with choreography may be asked to attend more. Once again, if you have any concerns about the amount of time involved in this please let us know. I'm really excited to work with you guys. There is a lot of work that goes into putting on a concert like this, but I believe it is going to be a wonderful experience."

"Sarah will also be here at least one day each week from now until December and most of the two weeks before the concert," Mr. Benson said. "I want to reiterate how lucky we are to have this opportunity and I hope that each of you take the time to relish in this experience. It will be hard work, but this is one of those ‘once in a lifetime’ opportunities that you'll remember for a long time."

I was nodding, and the class seemed to be excited. I couldn't ask for more.

* * *

I stayed and helped Mr. Benson with the class. We started working on some of the songs that required the whole Chorus and it was actually the first time I'd been in the classroom and had fun. Nobody had even come close to making the connection between Megan and Sarah, and it seemed unlikely to happen. They were all star struck, and I knew from experience that people rarely saw through the facade that Sarah placed over my true identity.

After the class ended I made sure to speak with each of them as they were leaving to learn their names and introduce myself. It was funny to see some of them, even Mark, treat me completely differently than they had when I was a member of the class. But they all seemed excited about the concert, and that made me smile.

One of the last people to leave the classroom was Jane, and she smiled as she approached me.

"You consider me a friend, huh?" she asked slyly.

"I do," I replied truthfully. "Any friend of Megan's is a friend of mine." How little she understood the truth of those words.

Jane beamed at me, and I was happy to see her in a good mood after what had happened the day before.

"I'm sorry about your record deal," I stupidly said, and watched her expression sour immediately. "You are a fantastic singer and if there was anything I could do I would have."

"I know," she said, her voice now downcast. "I really thought I was good enough."

"Did you try any other record companies?" I asked.

"Yes," she replied. But the look she gave me told me what their responses had been. "They didn't like me either."

"Well, it's their loss," I told her and received a hint of a smile. "There is a reason why you are singing so many songs with me in the Christmas Concert, you know."

"I..." she started but then stopped. A moment later she continued. "Thank you, Sarah. I'm glad that somebody believes in me."

"Anyone who doesn't is an idiot," I said, eliciting a laugh and another full smile from her.

She looked radiant when she smiled. I was lucky to have someone like her on the stage with me for the Christmas Concert.

* * *

Chapter 28 - Entanglements
Coming Soon...

* * *

Want more Sarah Carerra?
Book 1: I Am A Rock Star is now available for the Kindle! Click here for more information. Become a fan of Sarah Carerra by joining her on Facebook or Twitter by clicking the buttons below.
Follow SarahCarerra on Twitter   The Official Sarah Carerra Facebook Page

If you've read book 1 I'd love it if you shared your opinions with others. Review the Kindle version at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006IZG49M. :)

up
318 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Jane

Renee_Heart2's picture

I'm sry she didn't get the contract but in the end it maybe better as she has time to hone her voice. She may YET get that contract.

Mark was lucky Zarya didn't scratch him then in there while he argued with Sarah BIG mistake as he soon reposed he shouldn't even be IN the concert, but Mr. Benson insisted on Havering him in it.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

I'm glad Sarah is being herself

and standing up for what she believes in. Her friends and family are whats important and helping them when they are down. ^^ To me, thats the attractiveness of this story. Despite all her hardships, she manages to shine through.

Sephrena

Sarah Carerra is now Book Chapterized

I set up Book Title pages for Megan and stuffed all of each book's contents underneath each Title page in order to shorten the side chapter menu by 95%. This should make browsing through each book a breeze compared to before.

Sephrena

ps. my hands are murdering me from all the clicking and scrolling ><

Sara Carerra sure put Mark

Sara Carerra sure put Mark in his place! And Jane's smile knowing her role in the Concert will hopefully get her the contract she was denied.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Sarah stands by those who stand by Megan

Was happy to see the chorus director did not contradict Sarah about Mark.

I suspect given what Scott said -- and I think he is honest with Sarah and not a yes man - -

Jane may become the first of many successful young artists under Sarah's own record label,

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Intreresting Thought, John...

These days (though we haven't, IIRC, seen our author go there), there's the alternate route to success through social media.

Of course, the Christmas concert will be televised, so Jane will have some exposure there. But if before then Sarah records a duet or two with her and posts them to the Sarah Carerra web page -- and then includes a link to other songs performed solo by Jane that were posted on YouTube or Jane's Facebook page or wherever -- Jane could be well on her way even before she finds a recording contract.

Now that Sarah's taking more control of her concert schedule, she could probably also demand that Jane serve as her opening act, or include her with the backup singers but give her more than the usual one-song solo shot. The opening act idea probably isn't advisable; they'd most likely be playing the same kind of music with similarly-timbred voices, making a direct comparison inevitable, which isn't in either of their interests. (At least when the band from Faeriemage's 12-String series opened for Sarah part of last summer, it was a harder-rock sound, albeit simplified for a younger audience, and I think Keith/Desdemona has a more androgynous singing voice than Sarah.)

Eric

Eric, IT...COULD...WORK !

--grin--

I forgot about how YouTube vids are so comnonly used today to promote bands. Great possiblity you suggested, Eric.

Jane in several Youtube videos WITH Sarah.

Could generate some serious buzz... IE

"Who's that girl singing with Sarah Carerra. She's really good and Sarah must think a lot of her to feature her like this. I wonder if she has anything she's released?"

And so on.

I get the impression the Choir director FINALLY got the message about what a shit Mark is and is essentially giving him one last chance.

WOW! Sarah, well Megan is given Ethan several duets with her? If that isn't one heck of a Freudian slip.
Her gal pal is a poor singer but as *Chloe* is a solid song writing partner. Could they début a new song during the concert. A song they co wrote? Maybe even with help from Megan's cousin in Montana?

Hum, maybe Jane has song writing skills?

I have a worry though. Mark is such a hot head and he in essence accused Megan of bad mouthing him/ruining his reputation to Sarah.

He might be stupid enough to confront Megan or even attack her directly or indirectly.

I feel the school has been far too lenient with his assaulting people and all the insults and intimidation.

Sarah is far less forgiving and understandably so.

The big unknowns are Jared who now seems a neutral or even a behind the scenes Megan supporter and Amber the nutso denier. The girl who is 1000% sure Megan MUST be a guy in drag as Ghod NEVER makes a mistake and a boy is a boy a girl a girl and nothing else exists except perversion and sin.

I worry a borderline loony like her could be deliberately or accidently set off by Mike and do serious harm to Megan. Like attack her with a weapon or shove her down a staircase.

I think Megan needs her friends nearby at all times, like a rotating Praetorian guard. And Sarah is right to have at least one pro guard with her at all times given the nut cases out there.

And I think Jane needs to be brought into the Megan 's BIG secret camp. I worry despite Megan telling her Sarah likes her, believes in her, Jane might get seriously depressed. What stronger way to prove her support than to let Jane into the inner circle. And with a little tutelage from Sarah and her staff perhaps Jane WILL become a success as a back-up or even a feature artist. She just needs a little work.

Hum, Jane as her third backing singer? Sarah/Megan loves her current singers like they are sisters but they are significantly older than her. A contemporary in her band might be a good thing.

It was so sweet she told Anna last chapter BTW.

And she needs to tell her extended family. I assume they have a big family get together for Thanksgiving, likely at the Malibu home of the grandparents. She needs to let them know so they are prepared when it is released.

As well as it has gone so far, with Sarah being at school so often and that last week before the TV concert being there EVRERY day something will go wrong and her secret will come out.

What she did at the school concert was exhausting . On a day after day basis it is unsustainable IMHO.

Great chapter. Time Mike was told to clean up his act. Good they gave him a last chance but he need to know beyond the carrot there is a HUGE stick. IE expulsion and possible charges of assault and so on. Not to mention that he seems to have ambition to become a performer. He needs to know if he remains his nasty self or harms anyone AKA Megan in particular , his career is toast and Sarah Carerra and friends will make sure of it.

IE BLACKMAIL

-- snicker --

I that enough rampant speculation or what?

Do as you will, Megan.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Things to come

I always love reading your comments. Every single time I end up smiling at some of your theories, cringing at others that are closer to the truth than I'd like you to be, and laughing at some of the things that I never thought of, but that you always manage to bring to my attention (and that I should consider).

Also, I've always thought that Sarah should have a large presence in social media. Many times I've thought about writing it into the story, but I can never come up with a good way to weave it into the story without it feeling like a side thought. Social media doesn't really make a good story (at least that I've been able to figure out how to write).

Anyway, thank you again, and thank you to everyone else too. I'm glad you guys are enjoying the story and I hope to have plenty more in the future.

Megan

Carerra Chorus

Your story is interesting to read and I enjoy every chapter. All I can say is thank you for the hard work
you must put in each chapter.

Thank You

Pablo Sands