It was a rainy day in 1982. : 9

Printer-friendly version

It was a rainy day in 1982. : 9
By Barbara Lynn Terry

Part I - The first day of the rest of her life.

It seems that in the fall you go to bed when it is dark, and you wake up when it is dark. Can a girl ever win? Dawn smiled to herself. Today she

makes her first school appearance as Dawn. No more scruffy, itchy boy clothes, no more "you're a good boy" coming from everybody. Dawn slipped her feet from under the covers, and went to get out her clothes for the day.

She got out the three tiered dress she had told Nicole and Patti about. She laid that on the bed. She went to her dresser and got out a white

full slip, and a pair of plain white panties. From another drawer, she got out a pair of white, knee high, double knit socks. She laid everything on the bed, in the order that she would put them on.

She then got out her black ballet flats and closed her closet door. She put her robe on, stepped in to her slippers, and went to run her bath.

Today seemed like a lilac scented day, so she put a capfull of lilac bubble bath in her running bath water. She brushed her teeth while the tub was filling. When she was through, she turned off the water and got undressed and sat down in the tub. She had seen on movies where the actress was sponging the bubble bath water over herself with a sponge. So, Dawn imitated what she had seen, and now knew the reason why girls liked bubble baths.

As she sat there sponging the water over herself, she thought about the last few days, and how things had changed almost immediately. She wondered how will the other kids see her when she gets to school. Many things wandered through her mind as she sat there, relaxing in the tub. That was until her mother called for her to get out of the tub or she would shrivel up like a dried prune. Dawn giggled at that, but decided to wash and get dressed.

The best thing about being a girl, she thought, was all the nice things that happen to you. But she also thought about what her mother said about being careful who she picked for friends, especially boys. Even sixth grade boys were just as sexually active as high school boys. Her mother had told her that she couldn't go out after dark, at least not alone. She was told that there is always safety in numbers. She thought that with her, Patti and Nicole, nobody would bother them, or so she thought.

She dried off, and wrapped the towel around her like she had seen her mother do countless times. She went in her bedroom and started to get dressed. When she put on her panties and full slip, she felt a tingling inside of her, a feeling she never felt before. She the put the dress on by slipping it over her head. She sat down to put on her knee high, double knit socks, then her Mary Jane style ballet flats. She looked at herself in the mirror and didn't recognize the girl staring back at her. Then she smiled.

"Good morning, Dawn. Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life."

She went down to have her breakfast.

"Morning, mother," Dawn said, giving her mother a hug and kiss on the cheek.

"Good morning, dear. Oh my! You look absolutely beautiful. If I didn't know you used to be just Terry, I would not suspect for an instant you weren't the girl you appear to be. You are the one that used to be Terry, right?"

"Yes, mother. Thank you for that wonderful compliment."

"Dear, remember what we talked about. As a girl, you need to be very careful. Girls are very vulnerable in their feelings. For whatever the reason, we tend to have our hearts broken so many times in the same five minutes, it is a wonder we survive at all. You let your teachers or Mr. Sharpe know if you have any problems with any of the students. He has promised to look out for you at least until the end of the semester. Mr. Sharpe and the teachers will look out for you at school, and we will look out for you at home. When you are away from home, like out with your friends, that is where safety in numbers comes in. Do you understand what I just said?"

"Yes, mom."

"Good girl. Now scoot or you will miss your bus."

After hugs and kisses, Dawn took her book bag and headed for the bus stop. The coat she was wearing was navy blue and had three big buttons down the front. It came to the hem of her dress. She almost got to the bus stop, when Patti and Nicole came up to her.

"Hey Dawn," Patti said like she did every day. "I see you have on your new dress, well, at least I think you do. I can't see it under that coat."

"Hi Patti, Nicole. Yes, I am wearing my three tiered dress. My mom combed and brushed out my hair, while I was eating breakfast. She told me, again, about how girls have to be careful."

"That's good, Dawn, because even though we can beat up most of the boys in our class, these same boys will be stronger than us when they get to high school. So, yes, Dawn, we have to be very careful. When do you see the therapist?"

"On Friday. Would you two like to come with me, and be there for me?"

"Dawn, we would be more than happy to. You are our sister, and we help family."

The three hugged and then the bus stopped to pick them up. As soon as they sat down, the bus moved. Billy Roberts saw Dawn and decided to start picking on her.

"So, faggot, you are dressing like a girl. Afraid Duane will kick your ..."

"Billy stop that. I was sitting right here and I didn't see Dawn do one thing to you. Now, either you stop, or I will stop you."

"But, Duane, you even told her to dress like a girl or you would kick her ass."

"MISTER Roberts! That is quite enough of that language on this bus. Do you use that kind of language at home?"

"Stuff it, bus driver. Just drive your bus."

For the second time in a week, the bus driver made out an incident report, then called his base to let them know what happened and who did it. He was told to date and sign the incident report, and turn it over to the principal when he got the students to the school.

Mr. Sharpe was already standing outside when the bus pulled up.

"Hi Mr. Quayle. Your base called and told me to expect and incident report. Do you remember the student's name?"

"Billy Roberts. He was calling a young lady names, and even Duane Hartley tried to stop him, but he just kept on. I had to write the incident

report."

"Yes, Mr. Quayle, I understand."

Arthur Quayle has been a school buss driver for fifteen years and has the fifteen year safety patch to show that he is a safe driver. He is married and has two children, but they are grown and in college. Mr. Quayle drove this bus so his children could amount to something. His wife had a job managing a restaurant a few blocks from their home.

Part II - Dawn's school experience.

As Dawn went in the classroom with Patti, the other students, especially the boys were looking at her.
Mrs. Wells just smiled, and told the class to settle down.

"Class, today we are having our quiz. I want you all to keep your books in your book bags, and I will hand out the quizzes. There will be separate quizzes for each subject. If you are more concerned about Dawn's clothes than you are your quiz, you will not do well. Focus on the quiz, not on Dawn." Mrs. Wells then handed out the quiz papers.

While the class was doing their quizzes, there was another quiz going on in Mr. Sharpe's office.

"Mr. Roberts, do you like going to school here?"

"It's okay, I guess. Why?"

"Because I want to know why you seem so set on being expelled. This is not the first time you picked on Miss Palmer. Would you like to tell me why?"

"Miss who? I don't know any Miss Palmer."

"Alright, I have given you your chance. Since you don't know who it is you picked on this morning on the bus, I am calling your mother and have her take you home. This building is for people who want to learn, not pick on fellow students."

"Mr. Sharpe, I don't know who you are talking about."

"Well, I am calling your mother, right now. I will write a report to the school board, and you can tell them if you know Miss Palmer, or not. It is up to you."

Mr. Sharpe picked up the phone and dialed Billy's home number. Mr. Sharpe told Billy's mother that she was needed at the school, as soon as she could get there. Mrs. Roberts told him she was on her way.

"In the meantime, Mr. Roberts, you will not be attending school here. If you have anybody who can pick up your assignments, you will do them at home. This is the fourth time this week, that you have insulted Miss Palmer and tried to get her to fight you. This conduct cannot go on."

"The only person I picked on was that faggot Terry that came to school today dressed as a girl."

"I thought you said you didn't know Miss Palmer."

"Miss?!? Sir, why are you calling him Miss?"

"Because she has the right to tell us who she is without being harmed. I know you studied American history this semester. Does freedom of speech ring any bells?"

"But that only means we have the freedom to say what we want when we talk."

"It goes a lot farther than that, young man. Freedom of speech has to do with what we say, our mannerisms, how we dress, the type of work we choose to do when we are adults, or the type of games we play when we are children. Freedom of speech is in the books we read, the movies we watch, both on television and in the theater. Freedom of speech is that and much more. Apparently, you didn't pay attention when you studied American history. Your mother will like to know that, I'm sure."

"But, what is wrong with beating some guy that's a sissy?"

"Just that. You apparently aren't being taught properly, I think social services, child protective services, should become involved."

Mr. Sharpe's phone rang and the receptionist said that Billy's mother was here. Mr. Sharpe said to show her in.

"Hello, Mr. Sharpe. What has he done this time?"

Mr. Sharpe explained what had happened on the bus, and showed her the bus driver's incident report.

"Do you want to explain this, Billy?"

"No, mom. If I am expelled, I will wait and beat that faggot's ass when he goes out."

"I was afraid you were going to say that," Mr. Sharpe said, shaking his head. "Young man, not only are you suspended pending your school board hearing, but, I suggest you take a good look at yourself, because someone might not like how you laugh, or what you wear, or how you walk, and beat you up. Apparently, this is how you like to be treated. I will leave you with this. 'Do unto others as you would have others do unto you'. This meeting is over, young man, and you are officially suspended. Mrs. Roberts, you will be notified by mail when Billy's hearing at the school board will be. Thank you for coming."

As Billy and his mother was walking down the hallway to the door, Billy Roberts shouted loud enough, that the sound echoed in the hallway.

"I'M GOING TO KILL YOU FAGGOT!" Some people have to learn the hard way.

Billy's mother got him in her car and turned to say something, but then just shook her head, mumbling under her breath, "I don't know what to do with you any more".

The morning went by fast, and the lunch bell rang. The class all lined up and went to the cafeteria quietly. After Patti, Nicole, Dawn and Duane got their lunches, they went to sit down. Duane said he had heard that Billy was suspended for what he did on the bus.

"Yeah, well, if I were strong enough, I would have kicked him between the legs, like I have seen actresses do on television. I may not know how to fight like a boy, but I can kick really hard." Duane did an involuntary ouch and Nicole and Patti giggled.

"Well, he had it coming. I don't know if you heard what he said when he yelled in the hallway, but..."

"Who didn't hear it, must have been absent. The whole school heard it. Duane, does Billy's father live with them?"

"Yes, but he works until six, then they have dinner at seven, then he does a little work in his den before he gets ready for bed. His mother has told him to knock off his attitude, but he never listens. I picked on you, Dawn, but when I was told to behave, I said I would. Billy just doesn't listen. I mean, I even told him to stop this morning, too, and he didn't even listen to me."

Tommy Stevens, who was in the sixth grade came by where Dawn was sitting.

"Dawn, we heard what Billy said. Don't worry, we have your back, even at the mall. Here is my phone number, call me and tell me you are going to the mall, or where ever, and Jimmy, me, Stu and Cal will be there to look out for Billy. If he gets expelled, he will have to move to go to school, because the burbs won't take him either."

"Duane, Patti, Nicole and I will all be in middle school next semester. Well, you and Nicole will be since you are in the sixth grade. But me and Patti will be going to the sixth grade at the middle school, too. This way, we can all hang together."

"That sounds great, Dawn," Duane said, giving her a hug without the teacher seeing him do it. "Yes, I think I would like to hang with you. I never had any nice friends, before."

"Well, you do now," Patti remarked with a smile.

Tommy's friends, too, will be in middle school, since they are sixth graders as well. Tommy gave Dawn a further assurance.

"Dawn, since we will all be in middle school, there is more of a chance we can watch you better. Billy Roberts won't be able to get to you."

"My mom told me that Mr. Sharpe will also be watching out for me, too. She said that when I am home her and my dad will look out for me, too. With all of you, Mr. Sharpe and my parents, I guess I am well looked after."

"And we will continue to do so,young lady," Mr Sharpe added, coming closer. "I called the principal at the middle school today, and he said he will make sure you are safe when you enroll there. He also said not to worry about physical education, because he will have a surprise for you when you get there. The principal's name is Mr. Stark, and he is a very good man. He treats everybody with the same respect. The bell starting the second half of the day will ring in just a few minutes. Good luck, Dawn. I mean that."

"Thank you, Mr. Sharpe." Mr. Sharpe just smiled, and the bell ending lunch rang. Everybody got up and headed back to their classes.

Dawn had only one quiz left to do and that was math. Dawn was sort of a whiz with fifth grade math. They were already doing simple algebraic equations. As everybody sat down, Mrs. Wells spoke to the class.

"I have finished taking the roll, and I have graded some of the quizzes you all put on my desk. Dawn, I saw that you have one more quiz to do.

Will you please tell the class what quiz it is that you saved for last?"

"Math, Mrs. Wells. I saved it for last because then I can take my time and do it right."

"Did you all hear that class? Dawn saved the most difficult quiz for last so she could do it right. This is what studying and listening in class is for. So you know which ones to do first and which ones to do last. Dawn, I graded your other quizzes, and I am very proud to have you as a student. But, that doesn't mean I am not proud of the rest of you. Most of my class does well, except for a few of the boys. Let me just say that you are not missing anything by studying and listening in class. You have to be here anyway, so make good use of the time. When this class graduates in to the sixth grade, I am going to miss everyone. Of all the classes I have had through the years as a teacher, this one has been exceptionally exemplary. That means very, very good."

"Excuse me, Mrs. Wells, but, I am finished."

"Dawn you just started."

"Yes, Mrs. Wells, that was about fifteen minutes ago."

"Oh my, was I talking that long?"

"Yes, Mrs. Wells," The whole class said together.

"Well, I have permission from Mr. Sharpe to give the ones who are finished with their quizzes a little time to talk to their friends. But, make sure your friends are finished with their quizzes, first. Tomorrow, since we have studied everything in our books, you will be turning in your books tomorrow. We will finish the semester just talking. Some of you boys may go to the gym and play basketball or something, since tomorrow is not a gym day. When you are all finished with your quizzes, please bring them to my desk. I will grade these over night and give them back to you tomorrow." The bell ending the school day, rang. "All right children, line up, please." Everybody put their quizzes on Mrs. Wells desk, and they all lined up. Have a good evening, and I will see you tomorrow."

They all went to their buses, and when Patti, Nicole, Duane and Dawn got on, they heard Billy Roberts.

"Come here faggot, I want to show what a wall looks like, up close." Duane and Tommy Stevens stood between Billy and Dawn.

"Billy, if you want to fight, fight me," Duane said, clenching his hands in to fists."

"Yeah, then when Duane's done, I will show you what a wall looks like up close," Tommy added.

"Mr. Roberts, you are suspended. What are you doing here?"

"I'm going to teach a faggot a lesson."

"Well, not today. I called the police as soon as I saw you walking towards this bus. You have no business here, young man, so I suggest you leave, or be taken away by the police."

"I'm standing on the sidewalk."

"Yes, by a school building where you have a hatred toward another student, and have been suspended from." A police squad car pulled up by the school. "The police are here, Mr. Roberts. Are you leaving by yourself, or with help from the police." Billy stood frozen, because up until the police had arrived, everything was just talk. Now, Billy Roberts didn't know what to say, or even do."

"What's going on here, Mr. Sharpe?"

"This student has been suspended pending an expulsion hearing at the school board. He came here to try and beat up a student who is a very good student. I told him to leave, and he basically told me where to go."

"Is this true, young man?" Asked a burly officer who looked like he was a wrestler for the WWE.

"I don't have to tell you anything without a lawyer."

"Why would you need a lawyer? Did you do something wrong?"

"I ain't sayin'."

"Well, if you have been suspended, then you have no right to be here. Now, Mr. Sharpe has asked you to leave. I'm going to give you the same opportunity. Are you going to leave, or would you like me to help you?" Billy's mother pulled up by the school and parked across the street.

"There you are. Why did you leave the house when I told you to go to your room?"

"Are you the child's mother, ma'am?"

"Yes, officer. Mr. Sharpe had called me earlier to come and get him. When we got home, I told him to go to his room. Apparently he didn't stay there. His father isn't home, yet, from work, but when he finds out what his son has been up to."

"Well, ma'am, may I make a suggestion?"

"Oh, please do."

"I can take him to detention, where he won't be allowed to sneak out. At least you will know where he is."

"Is this what you want Billy? To be locked up like a wild animal before they euthanize it?"

"Whatever, mom."

"Go ahead, officer. Apparently he won't listen to me."

"What is the child's full name?"

"William Adam Roberts, his birthday is September fifteen, 1997. He will be twelve years old this year. His middle name was his father's idea."

"War, hey. Do you think you have to declare war on the entire world?"

"Look, if you are going to take me to detention, then let's go. It doesn't bother me where I sleep."

"Almost twelve years old, and already you are acting like Pretty Boy Floyd."

"Who?"

"He was a dangerous gangster in the 1930's."

"Yeah, cop, that's me, a real dangerous gangster."

"Ma'am, you will have to appear at the children's court and detention center on Watertown Plank Road. It is safe to get there about eight o'clock so you don't miss his hearing. I think with what Mr. Sharpe said on phone, and all the reports, will be enough to send him to a boys home. Here is my card. If you lose it, just ask for officer Murphy. Mr. Sharpe will you be there, too?"

"Yes, I certainly will."

"All right, young man, let's go." Officer Murphy put Billy in the back seat of his squad, and took him to the children's detention and court center.

Dawn just shook her head in disbelief.

"Why does Billy act like that?"

"Nobody knows, at least no right now. Well, have a good night children. The school is all but officially over. I have a good idea for the rest of the semester. Who wants to play some fun games in the gym? We will even have a piñata, too."

The bus finally pulled away from the school, and there was endless chatter about that they would be doing for the rest of the semester. If Mr. Sharpe wanted them to play games, and have fun, then, yes, everybody agreed having fun was better than sitting in a classroom, talking.

up
136 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Barbara Lynn Terry, thanks

Barbara Lynn Terry, thanks for posting another It was a rainy day in 1982. I love seeing the kids supporting Dawn, especially Duane who I think likes her. But wonder why that Billy Roberts is such a monster when his parents aren't.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I have a feeling that Billy

is somehow going to make it out and assault poor Dawn. How bad, I don;t know yet. But I just know its coming :~~~~~

Sephrena

Hi Barbara!

All in all, Dawn has another good day, and seems to have a lots of support. I'm guessing we haven't seen the last of Billy Roberts. I was wondering where was Billy Sanders ? No mention of him in this chapter. Anyway, another nice chapter, thanks for posting it. (Hugs) Taarpa

Rainy day in 1982 part 9

Dawn has some close calls it is good that she has good friends to look out for her and i think that Duane likes Dawn