Trial and Heiress - 4

Printer-friendly version
Natalie.png
Nathan Poole is ready to become Sarah's Warden, but a long lost family heirloom changes his life and future.

 
 

Trial and Heiress
Chapter 4

By
Amethyst


Thanks as usual to Eof for a great universe to play in and to Eof, Maggie F and Donjo for their input.


Chapter 4

We landed at Sena Island just after four o'clock that afternoon. On the flight Rick got us up to speed on what had been happening while we were away. The story about Nathan being sent to military school was being well accepted, largely due to Jason and Sarah's acting. I gathered they didn't have to act much though since in realty Nathan really is gone for good and they both were a bit shell shocked by what had happened to me. People also believed that Mom really was away at a funeral since Nature's Blessings was closed for the past three days and Mom never closed the store during week days except during emergencies.

Once we were at the dock Mom and I got off the plane and took a few handfuls of bags, leaving the rest for Rick as we walked along the dock and then down the street to where the car was parked. There were a lot of people around at this time of day, due to fishing boats coming in and people getting off work and school. Of all the familiar faces we passed not one looked at me with anything other than curiosity. These were people I had known my whole life and I was a stranger to them all. I could see the question in all of their eyes, even if they wouldn't say it out loud, 'Who is the new girl?'

Who was I indeed? I had said I was still the same Nathan but was that really true? Was I Nathan Poole in a girl's body or would this Natalie persona take over? Wouldn't my new body, identity, and my as-yet-unexplored magic change me by necessity? My future and all my plans had already changed. The minute I changed gender it all collapsed like a poorly built house of cards. There were so many questions and not enough good answers. With all of that on my mind I was in a dark mood as we drove home.

When we arrived at the house Mom headed into the kitchen to start preparing dinner and Dani headed.out into the woods to do whatever it is Pixies do out there. I was about to head upstairs to indulge in a little self-pity in my room when Rick stopped me with a hand on my shoulder. “Let's go down to the cellar and talk.” I hardly had the chance to even finish nodding before he took me by the arm and half-led, half-dragged me through the kitchen and out the back door. “We'll be in the cellar Mom,” he called out as we made our way out the door.

Our cellar isn't your average cellar. It was once the basement but when Mom's work room was built it was divided and walled off to give Mom privacy so that she had her place to work and so did the Wardens of the family. The remainder of the basement was our training area and a separate entrance was built for it. I guess I shouldn't say 'our' training area anymore. I'm a Witch now not a Warden and I had better get used to it.

We made our way down the steps to the cellar door and Rick opened it, reached inside and turned on the lights. The lights flickered a moment before illuminating the practice mats on the floor, the weapons racks, the padded sparring equipment, the small drink fridge, and the assorted other tidbits we used for training. Rick went straight for the sparring equipment and tossed me a set of padded gloves and a head protector. As we both started to gear up he launched right into our talk. Not being one to beat around the bush he came right out and said, “You're having trouble with this whole girl thing and not sure who you are anymore.” It was not a question.

I grunted as I got my head protector into place, “You think? I never would have realized that if you hadn't told me,” was my eventual snarky reply as I fastened my gloves, having a little trouble getting the right one on over the Glove. “How can I still be me with all these changes? What about all my plans?”

Rick merely shrugged, calmly replying, “So you've changed. Life is constant change and plans change too. We change with every new experience we have but at the core we're still ourselves. It's just that our 'selves' are constantly changing and evolving when we face new things. Human beings are adaptable that way. Who's to say you may not have fundamentally changed if the Glove hadn't changed your body and you had just brought it back to Mom. The whole experience may have changed your whole outlook on life anyway. You don't need to change all your interests because you're female now either, you may need to change how you do things but not necessarily what you do”

We both got into our fighting stances as I rolled my eyes, “If we're constantly changing then how do we remain ourselves smart guy?”

“By being true to our values, beliefs and who we feel we are deep down,” he answered as he moved from foot to foot waiting for me to attack. “Changes are going to come no matter what, they could be as small as nicking yourself shaving or as life altering as changing genders, but it's how we face change and adjust that shows who we really are... oof” He grunted as I hit him in the stomach but the blow did little damage as he stepped back, lessening the impact. Then he grinned at me. “The way I see it is you can let life beat the crap out of you and get hurt in the process or you can roll with the punches, try not to let it hurt you too bad and get on with your life.”

“Thank you Master Yoda.” I grumbled, throwing another punch.

He let the punch hit him, just shrugging it off. “Welcome you are. Hit like a girl you do.”

“Like I could hit any other way in this body you jerk!” I snapped, starting to get angry now. I couldn't seem to hit or make good contact even when I did and I was barely dodging his punches. He remained calm and it was bugging me, I had tried to throw him but it was like I was moving all wrong, I couldn't throw him and he landed a good punch to my head protector while I was trying. “Dammit!” I cursed in frustration.

“Moody aren't you? I hope it's not your time of the month,” he said while blocking another punch.

I had been getting so frustrated I didn't even see that he was goading me now. I was now well beyond frustrated. Now I was seeing red. “You asshole!” I put all my anger into a flurry of punches and kicks. Even once my moves were sluggish and my breathing heavy I kept pressing the attack, until he flipped me onto my back.

I lay there breathing heavy and staring up at the ceiling for several minutes before Rick sat down beside me. “Do you feel better now that you got all that aggression out?”

I did feel a little better, though I was still mad at him, “I guess so,” I grumbled.

“Good,” he replied with that infuriatingly calm face. “Now tell me, what are the three things you did wrong in that fight?”

I sighed. I should have known he was testing me. “I let you goad me into losing my temper and I was attacking someone bigger and stronger than me without thinking instead of having a plan.” I knew both of those and they were mistakes I usually knew better than to make. “I'm not really sure what the third one is though.”

He looked me over as he answered, “You were fighting me like a guy. I know you're used to being a smaller guy and you know how to fight bigger guys like that but you're a girl now and fighting like you used to won't work anymore. I think I may have figured out how to compensate for that though.”

“Oh really?” Do tell.” I sat up and took a deep breath to calm myself. “Because I could hardly touch you there and when I did it was ineffective. I couldn't even throw you.”

“Like I said you were fighting like a guy, moving with your shoulders and depending on your center of gravity being there to add power. But your center of gravity isn't there now, it's in your hips. That can actually be a good thing for you.” He motioned for me to get to my feet.

“I know about the lower center of gravity, Mom has been trying to get me used to it by focusing on walking from my hips but I have trouble with it unless I'm thinking about it. But how are these big hips a good thing?” I asked, patting my hips as I stood.

He shrugged, “You'll get used to it in time. I imagine it will get easier if we train you to use your hips in your fighting style too.” He pondered the best way to address my question before answering, “You don't have the power in your shoulders anymore and your arm reach isn't as long, that's why you were having trouble hitting me. But your legs are longer and connected to your center of gravity so you'll have a lot more power in kicks and leg sweeps. Lower center of gravity is better for throws too, so long as you're using your hips and not your shoulders. This is better for a style where you fight with a little more distance between your weak spots and your opponent, so hopefully you'll take less damage. It also gives you more options for getting your opponent on the ground so you can keep an advantage.”

“That makes sense,” I nodded, “Is there anything else I should keep in mind?”

He chuckled at that, “You were so focused on the fact that you could hardly touch me that you didn't seem to notice I hardly laid a hand on you either. You may have lost strength but your speed, agility and flexibility are much better. I think your balance may be too but we'll find out more on that as you adjust to your new center of gravity.”

After that we spent the next hour working on my new fighting style and I think I was starting to improve by the end. It was going to take daily practice to get to the point where it was natural though. We then washed up and joined Mom and Dad for dinner after which Dad took me out to assess my other skills. Luckily my aim with throwing knives and guns was still really good and my knife fighting skills weren't too impaired and should be close to what they were once I get used to my new body's quirks.

~*!*~

I had just gotten out of the shower after my session with my Dad and was heading to my bedroom when Mom stepped in front of me, arms crossed in front of her. “Where do you think you're going young lady?”

I pointed to my bedroom door down the hall, “Ummmm, to my room?”

“That is Nathan's room. Your room is that one Natalie. I already put your things away in there,” she responded while pointing to the spare bedroom. The spare bedroom was usually used for storage and was the biggest of the bedrooms in the house next to my parents' room. Mom had cleared it out a few months ago planning on using it as a sewing room, but she hadn't started doing anything in there yet. I stared at her for a moment, uncomprehending before she took me by the hand and led me back the way I had come to the door across from the bathroom. Once we were standing in front of the door she smiled at me and motioned for me to open it.

I braced myself for the pink walls that were the reason I had never claimed the room as my own. The sea of pink never materialized though and the room was very different from what I had remembered. It was obviously a teenage girl's room but it wasn't overly girly. The walls had been painted a soft cream color and the old worn brown carpet had been replaced with a pale blue-green one. There was now a twin sized bed for me to stretch out in as opposed to my old room's cramped single bed and beside it was a bedside table that looked to be made of pine with a reading lamp and my cellphone on top. There was also a pine dresser, a desk with a mirror on top of it, and a comfortable looking office chair.

I stood there speechless for a long moment taking in everything, “Wow Mom, this looks really nice.”

“We thought that in case anyone visits you should have the spare room. It would look strange for Natalie to be using Nathan's room when we have a spare bedroom, and this will look a bit more like a girl's room and shouldn't be too uncomfortable for you.” She pulled me into the room and sat me on the bed. “It's not too feminine is it?”

I gave her a big hug. “No Mom I think it's great, thanks.”

She returned the hug with a smile.“Your father and Rick were worried we'd be back before they finished it.”

“I'll have to thank them for this tomorrow, it looks like they put a lot of work into this.” I yawned, “I'd thank them now but I'm really tired after those training sessions.”

She nodded, “It's good you're trying to get used to fighting using your new body, but please try not to overdo it. Starting tomorrow you're going to come help me in the shop after school so we can start teaching you magic.”

I frowned at that. “How is arranging flowers going to help me learn magic?”

“Natalie,” my mother returned my frown and added the displeased mother look for extra effect, “You know very well we don't just sell flowers. We also sell herbs and other spell components and we'll be starting your training by having you learn the uses of all of them. What better place than the shop to learn that?”

“The woods?” I asked, hoping she may lift the ban on me going out without protection.

She shook her head, “Not until I'm sure you'll be safe. Nice try though sweetie. We'll have plenty of time for mother/daughter herb gathering walks in the woods later.” She leaned over and kissed me on the forehead, “Now get ready for bed and get some sleep, you have a big day tomorrow.”

~*!*~

Despite my tiredness I had trouble sleeping. Not only was I nervous about starting school as my new self tomorrow, but now I was going to be starting my training as a Witch as well. Both prospects terrified me more than I cared to admit. The only good thing about all this is that I'd be able to see Sarah and Jason again. I had missed them both while we were gone and I could have really used their support with everything going on.

When finally I did sleep it was broken and plagued by nightmares. First I dreamed I was at school and everyone was laughing at me and I didn't know why. Then I found mirror and saw that I was my old male self again, only I was wearing a dress. After that I dreamt that I was at the shop and I was arranging flowers and I couldn't stop myself. I had no control over my body and the Glove was controlling me like a puppet. Finally I was running through the woods and though I couldn't see him I knew Ly Erg was chasing me. I bumped into something and Ly Erg was in suddenly front of me. He held me in his arms, whispering into my ear, “You human girls are so easily manipulated.” And then he kissed me.

I woke up in a cold sweat, gasping for air. I was too panicked from my dream and my inability to breathe to even scream. I sat there for a while shaking as I tried to hold back tears. I heard a small noise in the darkness at the window and my head snapped around to see what it was. Dandelion watching me from where she was sitting on the window ledge. I let out a sigh of relief and waved her over. “Did you enjoy yourself out in the woods?” I asked, trying to get control of my breathing.

She nodded as she flew over to the bed and sat down, her face a mask of concern. “Are you alright? You looked scared when you woke up.”

I wondered how long the Pixie had been watching me sleep as I tried to reassure her with a poor attempt at a smile. “I'm fine, I just had some bad dreams. I guess I'm nervous about tomorrow.”

She smiled at me as she offered, “Would you like me to come with you? Maybe having company will make it less scary.”

As usual her heart was in the right place but her curiosity and tendency to ask me questions when my attention was needed elsewhere could prove problematic on my first day at school. I shook my head as I tried to let her down gently, “As much as I would love to have you keep me company on my first day I might have trouble concentrating on my school work.”

“Oh, okay,” she responded, looking a bit disappointed.

I felt a bit bad for disappointing her so I promised, “If it goes well tomorrow then I'll let you tag along on Friday, okay?”

Dani beamed up at me as she nodded her head excitedly, “Okay!” Then she gave me that worried look again, “I can stay here with you if it will help you sleep.”

I nodded as I lay my head back down on my pillow. “Thanks Dani, that would be great.” I had barely finished uttering the words before the Pixie curled up beside me on my pillow. Soon I was back to sleep, and this time no dreams plagued me.

~*!*~

Mom woke me an hour earlier for school than usual and knowing I would likely need the extra time to prepare I only made a token complaint. Once I had untangled Dani from my hair I took my shower and started getting ready since we needed to be at the school a bit early. As it was, once I had finished breakfast, we were running later than Mom would have liked. I could have only imagined how much longer things would have taken if I actually had an interest in wearing make-up or any outfit more complex than my favoured jeans and hoodie.

We arrived about fifteen minutes before classes were scheduled to begin and the hallways were already filling with students. Once again as we made our way to the office I was subjected to the curious looks from people I knew. I was actually happy once we got there and the secretary, Miss Evans, ushered us in to Mrs. Lawson's office. The meeting was fairly quick. Mrs. Lawson asked if I was sure I was ready to start school again today and once reassured that I was fine she gave me my new locker assignment and class schedule and sent me on my way. Mom stayed behind, probably to let my Principal know how I was adjusting to my new situation.

My day started with English which is pretty easy for me, although introducing myself to all these people I already knew was all kinds of awkward. Next was Chemistry where I was lucky enough to get assigned as Sarah's lab partner. It was a shame that so many people were close by and intent on listening to the new girl or I could have told her how things had gone in Vancouver instead of dishing out my false history as if we'd never met before.

I had my next class with Sarah as well, though I was none too happy about it since it was Gym. The class itself wasn't that bad since even though I was having problems with my coordination I was still in really good shape. I got a little trouble from Miss Snyder about wearing the Glove, but a call to Mrs. Lawson cleared that up pretty quick.

The bad part was after class. Of all the ways I had pictured seeing Sarah without her clothes on for the first time the girls shower was not it, at least not with me as one of the showering girls. Worst of all we both had to pretend that this was normal for me and I wasn't really her boyfriend in the body of a girl. I made sure to run the water nice and hot to have an excuse for why my face, among other things, was so red.

Sarah and I were both quiet as we walked to our lockers to stow our things during lunch. I was trying to figure out how to end the awkward silence when Jason showed up and had Sarah 'introduce' me. I was quiet as we walked toward the cafeteria and I was sorely tempted to find something to talk about that wouldn't invite trouble just so I didn't have to listen to all the whispering. *The new girl is pretty hot*... *What's with the emo look?*... *I heard her whole family died in a fire*... Thankfully it wasn't a very far walk to the cafeteria.

We were sitting down having our lunch when I noticed Eric making his way toward our table. Jason noticed him at the same time and cursed, “Damn, incoming Sarah.” One of the things Sarah was able to tell me earlier was that Eric had started hitting on her again as soon as the rumor started spreading that Nathan had left the island. I clenched my fists as I waited for the inevitable.

He walked up to the table and gave Sarah a cocky grin. “Hey Sarah, when are you going to get over that loser Nate and go out with me?”

Sarah gripped my hand under the table as I practically growled at Eric. “Does my cousin know you're trying to steal his girlfriend while he's gone?” I made sure to speak slowly, not only to make sure he understood me but also to make sure I didn't mess up my cover story in my anger.

“Your cousin?” Eric asked, momentarily confused. “Nate's your cousin?” I could feel my skin crawl as he looked me over appraisingly, and I could almost see the wheels turning in his head. “Nate's a good guy, it's too bad he had to leave the island before you came to visit, but maybe I can show you around. I'm Eric.”

“And I'm not interested,” I answered coldly.

At that point Jason stood up, “Eric let the girls eat their lunch in peace.”

Seeing the look on Jason's face Eric decided not to push his luck and shrugged, “I have to go anyway.” Then he turned his attention back to Sarah and I for just long enough to wink at us, “I'll see you lovely ladies later.” With that he left us, presumably to go harass some other girls.

After that the rest of lunch passed without incident as we quietly discussed my new schedule, how I was adjusting, and our plans for the weekend. Soon enough I was off with Sarah to our next class, Home Economics. That was another little surprise in my schedule that I was not thrilled about in the least. Although I could cook some simple things when I had to I had absolutely no experience in sewing whatsoever. My inexperience showed and Mrs. Jacobs spent a good deal of the class teaching me the basics. My day finally ended with History, another subject I was pretty good at. The class passed quickly and soon I was at my locker and getting ready to head to the shop. Sarah and Jason headed home after we all promised to talk later in the evening.

~*!*~

When I arrived at the shop Mom took me into the back room and gave me an old leather bound book and a second sturdy little book with a lock on it. The second book looked new and had the appearance of a diary with it's lock and pastel blue color and I frowned at it. “A diary Mom? Seriously?”

She shook her head, “It looks like one, and the lock should keep out prying eyes, but that book is for you to make any notes you me might want to remember on the things I'll be teaching you and that you'll be reading on your own.” She tapped the larger leather bound book, “This is a bit big to keep with you, but the diary can be kept in your purse if you want it on hand to refer to. You can also use it to record any spells I teach you.”

With a resigned sigh I nodded, “I guess that makes sense, I might want to keep that information on hand while I'm still learning. So what's the old book?”

“This is compilation of various herbs and other spell components and their magical uses. It also instructs on how and when to gather them, medicinal uses and where they can be found. A lot of them we can find on the island but there's quite a few we need to order from various suppliers. There's also some I grow in my garden.” She grinned at me, “So the first thing you'll be doing is to read that book and learn about all the types of herbs and other components in the book and look through the store so you can see what they look like when we sell them. While you're at it make a note of any we're running short on. I'll show you what the ones here on the island look like in real life once we're sure it's safe for you to go out in the woods.”

“Yay,” I muttered, “I get to study and take inventory for you. You just wanted part time help here didn't you?”

She chuckled and leaned over to kiss me on the forehead, “No sweetie, but here I can start to teach you magic, get some help around the shop, and I'll even pay you for working here. We both win.”

“Well I suppose it is a good way to start my lessons,” I admitted. “And the extra money will be nice.”

“Great!” she beamed at me, “Now how about I go over to Ground Zero and get us both something hot to drink and a treat to celebrate? Can you mind the store while I'm gone?”

I shrugged, “Sure Mom, I'll have a chocolate/caramel latte. It wouldn't be the first time I've run the store while you've been out.”

Mom took off after that to get our liquid refreshment and I stood at the counter and began my reading. I hated to admit it but the stuff I was reading was actually pretty interesting and I always was a bit curious about the things Mom did. Soon I found myself absorbed in reading and jotting down the things I thought were important, which seemed to be a lot. I was so lost in it that I almost didn't notice the bell above the door ring.

I looked up from my reading to see the last human I wanted to see approaching the counter. I slipped my 'diary' under the counter as I growled, “What do you want Eric?”

The jackass just grinned at me, “Is that any way to treat a customer? I want to buy a dozen roses.”

I rolled my eyes as I wondered what poor girl he was going to try and give those flowers to. “Yeah sure, a dozen roses,” I answered as I showed him to the flower cooler, “We have red, yellow, or white.”

He actually seemed to consider the color for a moment. I thought he was going to say red, and actually was about to reach for them, since most guys seem to think red roses are the most romantic. He surprised me though when he said, “White.”

I shrugged as I took a dozen white roses to the counter and began to arrange them with some baby's breath into a bouquet, “What do you want the card to say?”

He gave that stupid grin again as he replied, “For the fairest flower I've ever met. These do not compare to your beauty.”

I mentally gagged as I wrote the message on the card and placed it in a small envelope. I then rang up the purchase in the cash register, “That'll be twenty two dollars and forty nine cents including taxes. Unless you need those delivered?”

Eric shook his head as he handed me a twenty and a five. “No I'll give them to her myself, keep the change.”

I finished putting the cash in the register and gave him his receipt. Then I grudgingly said “Thank you for your business, have a nice day,” with a fake smile plastered on my face.

He took the flowers and after a few seconds put them back in my still outstretched hands, “For you.”

I stood there in shock for a moment before glaring at him, “If you're through shamelessly hitting on me I have studying and work to do before my Aunt Nora gets back.”

He looked around before giving another of those annoying grins. “You're working alone? Are you sure you don't want me to keep you company? We could get to know one another better.” He gave me a wink as he said the last.

My glare turned into a glower as I pointed to the door with the hand not holding the flowers, which happened to be the hand with the Glove on it. “Go!” I snapped. At that point I felt a burning of something inside me and the Glove caused my hand to tingle a bit. Then to my amazement Eric, without another word, left the shop.

Mom walked in a few minutes later with our coffees and snack. I was still standing there holding the flowers with a stunned look on my face as she asked, “So did anything interesting happen while I was gone?”

~*!*~

“You used a command spell?!” Sarah asked in shock as I laid in bed that night talking to her on the phone. After the incident with Eric the rest of the evening sped by in a blur of training from both my parents and Rick, which was only briefly interrupted by dinner. Now I was exhausted and more than happy to relax on my new bed as I talked with her.

“It was an accident! I was just so mad at him for the flowers and hitting on me and I wanted him to leave. I didn't think I'd actually be able to make him.” I sighed, shaking my head, “If I wasn't holding those stupid roses he gave me I would have decked him instead.”

“Wait!” Sarah sounded upset now, “He gave you roses and you accepted them?!”

I sighed again, “I wouldn't say I accepted them. I had just given them to him after he paid and he put them right back in my hands before I could pull them away.”

I heard a smacking sound from Sarah's end, “That's not the way Eric's going to see it. He gave you flowers and you didn't throw them on the ground or immediately return them. He's going to think you're interested and just playing hard to get. Don't you know anything about guys?!”

“Of course I do!” I retorted angrily, “If I remember correctly, I used to be one!You didn't seem to have any complaints about me when I was your boyfriend!” We were both yelling by this point and Dani was watching me in concern.

“Well you're not now! So you're free to flirt with Eric or any other boys as much as you like!” She hung up after that and I dropped my phone to the floor and I cried myself to sleep as Dani tried to console me. I was so tired from my busy day and my long crying session that my night was mercifully dreamless.

~*!*~

Friday I was withdrawn and quiet. I didn't pay much attention in class and avoided speaking to everyone, even Jason. When people did try talking to me I largely ignored them, not even paying attention to who was speaking, much less what they were saying. I had let Dani accompany me that day as I promised and she was all the company I needed or wanted for now. I didn't even have to worry about her distracting me since I was already not paying much attention to what was going on around me.

I avoided the cafeteria at lunch, deciding instead not to eat and to sit in an empty classroom staring out the window at the forest. My thoughts kept drifting back to the Glove and how it had ruined my life. I hated being a girl, I hated crying all the time, and I hated that the Glove had taken everything good I had and replaced it with this sick parody of my life. I went over my options in my mind time over time that day as I sat staring out windows, only moving when the bell rang.

My options were limited it seemed. I could try and adjust and somehow live with this, it was possible that I could given time. The options of either cutting off my arm or just ending it all were both briefly appealing until I thought about how much it would hurt my family, Jason, and probably Sarah as well. Finally as I put my things in my locker at the end of the day I was decided on the fourth option, though somewhere deep inside I had known all along that it would come to this.

~*!*~

As we walked through the woods Dandelion tried to convince me that this was a bad idea. I was supposed to be at the shop learning from my Mom and helping her out at the shop. I felt that I needed to do this though, for my own sanity. We had long since passed the cabin and the light was beginning to fade as we started to get closer to the Valley. In my distracted state I didn't even notice I was being followed until I heard the crashing behind me.

“Nat stop!” The voice was Sarah's and it broke through the haze of my depressed thoughts. I turned around to find her climbing down from Jason's back. Jason shook his antlered head to reinforce what Sarah had said, even as she came toward me and continued speaking, “Nat, I'm sorry about last night, I was upset and confused and I said some really stupid things. This is hard on me too, and I know you're probably hoping you can walk into the Valley, find Titania and have her change you back but that's foolish. Even with the Glove we don't know if you'd ever come back out again.”

I sighed, “Dani has been telling me the same thing the whole way here but the only alternative is for me to stay like this.” I gestured down at my body. “Neither of us wants that.”

She took my hand in hers and looked me right in the eyes, “I'd rather have you stay as you are now than lose you for good.”

I heard a slow clapping from behind me, toward the valley, coming gradually closer, “Isn't that sweet, humans are so sentimental.” There was a pause and then the familiar voice, even closer now, close enough to whisper continued, “If it isn't Titania's new pet witchling. I must thank you for your little display of magic yesterday, if I hadn't sensed that I never would have known that you claimed your pretty toy. Now it's time for me to claim mine.” Sarah and Jason stared at the speaker behind my shoulder and I could feel his hot breath against my ear. I didn't need to turn around to know who spoke. It was Ly Erg.

up
275 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ly Erg

Elsbeth's picture

Yikes, not good. Looking forward to whats next, good chapter.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

This story is looking to be

This story is looking to be one with depth and insight. Very good start, you see some of what is coming, but enough surprise to keep you guessing and character development to make you care about the characters and want to know what happens to them.

Please keep going, and thank you for taking us along for the ride.

Ly Erg

He is definitely showing signs of being a powerful member of the Dunkelheit. Not good. The only saving grace is Nat is not alone now and Dani can slip into the Fae Realm now to get help. Right now, the 2 girls and Jason are way over-matched however, the glove adds an unknown variable to the equation.

The Ground Zero is obviously the local equivalent to Starbucks or Tim Horton's I imagine. I never was a big coffee drinker even back when I was active duty. Blastphemy!!!, I know :) Our local Barnes and Noble is one of those stores with Starbucks in it and I refer to it as Barnes and Chernoble. If I am going to drink coffee I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for hot water that has been passed over ground up beans. Because the only way I can drink coffee is by adding a little bit of milk and coffee to my sugar. :) That is why I much prefer Hot Chocolite.

I hate coffee myself

Amethyst's picture

I'm more of a hot chocolate and herbal tea kind of girl. But if I owned a coffee shop I would totally name it Ground Zero, so yep it's the local coffee shop. :)

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Ly Erg! Ly Erg! Pants on Fy Erg!

OOOOoooohhhh I didn't expect him this early in the story! RUN! -goosebumpy **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

I'd imagine not, though I wouldn't know for sure.

I'd imagine that Ly Erg is rather powerful, given that he is a member of the Dunkelheit, so he is obviously more than a match for the present company (given their age and relative inexperience). Aka Manah is one of the Infernal and because of this, his power (when he is fully manifested) is on a completely different scale and more than a few orders of magnitude greater the rest of the Unseen (save for Dragons, the rest of the Infernal and the Divine, such as Lady Moon). This is my understanding of it, at least.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Ly Erg

Amethyst's picture

is a powerful member of the Dunkelheit and nothing more. He'll certainly be too much for two Novice Witches and a moose though.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Ly Erg vs Aka Manah

At present Ly would be stronger than Aka but that is only because Aka is trapped in the Orb. As long as Ly never physically touched the Orb then he has nothing to worry about. Ly is compared to Aka in a physical form way out classed as Ly is only one of the Fae. If Ly had physically touched the Orb then Aka would have owned him. Aka is a Demon who are pretty much the opposites of the Devine such as Lady Moon.

However, in this present case, we have one very experienced soldier of the Winter Court up against two novice witches, one of whom has not recieved any training in magic use yet and one Were Moose with less than a year's experience as a Moose. The only unknown variables are Dani who's best option is to get help and the Glove of Tatiana.

Another gripping chapter

I'm pleased with the pacing of this story and I'm liking the interaction. Although I' seem to be noticing a few things here and there and across the various stories...

Another well writen chapter and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next. Thanks for the good read. ^_^

Peace be with you and Blessed be

This story is starting out a

Amethyst's picture

This story is starting out a bit quicker paced than bloodlines but I'm liking how it's working out. People seem to be enjoying it though and that's my number one goal.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Will Natalie's prior guardian training come into play here?

If so, Natalie needs to be sure to thank Rick later for helping her adjust her fighting technique to her new body. The glove has shown Natalie how Ly Erg killed the previous glover wearer. How will its powers manifest to help Natalie, Sarah and Jason avoid the same fate? I don't think the glove has any desire to have its wearer be subjugated by Ly Erg.

Great Story

_Bev_

The Glove

Amethyst's picture

The Glove isn't sentient so it really has no awareness or desires at all. The only reason it retained those final memories of the previous wearer is that they were so traumatic, and being the final memories before a violent death, that they imprinted onto the Glove. It's only known abilities are to optimize it's wearers body for magic use, which has already been done, and to amplify the wearer's magic. Since she has practically no training in magic Natalie can't count on the Glove to get her and her friends out of this.

Also she's only had two days of training in her new fighting style so it's not natural yet, meaning she'll have to consciously think about each move she makes. Against someone as experienced as Ly Erg that's a serious disadvantage. She may be able to surprise him once but after that she'll lose the element of surprise and any possible advantage.

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Oh this is just great...

just when you thought it wasn't safe to be in the woods.... (LOL) What Ly doesn't know is Natalie has her Great Great Grandma's memory of that fateful day so she already knows to be on guard against Ly erg. So many possible out comes from this encounter, I guess we'll all just have to wait and see, nice chapter Amethyst! (Hugs) Taarpa

Trouble

Hopefully we get some help here otherwise they are in trouble

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Nightmare come to life...

...It might work in getting Natalie to embrace more of her own potential. An old story shedding new light for me. She's lucky this time to have old friends being close at hand.

Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors