Mandy Collins - My Story - Part 3 Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version
Mandy Collins - My Story
Mandy2.jpg
A novel by Bronwen Welsh

Part Three Chapter Three  A Reunion

You may well think this is the point at which I would have written “And they lived happily ever after” and it's true that we have, but there is one more incident that I must relate and this came about purely by chance.

It was some years later, and I was forty-six. Where do the years go? Tom's company had started a branch in Brisbane and appointed him in charge, so we had moved back there, and this time bought ourselves a house. I had found another job in a legal firm, and this time we were both working within fifteen minutes of home, which was much more convenient. I was in the waiting room at the doctor's for a regular checkup and happened to be glancing through the 'Weekly Times', the main rural newspaper which covered all Australia, when an article and picture stopped me in my tracks.

The article title was “Passing of a Rural Giant” and it went on to describe the death of John Brodie who ran a cattle station in south-west Queensland near the little town of Heywood's Crossing. It was the accompanying picture that really caught my attention. It was of John and his wife Lesley and the moment I saw her I recognised her as the woman who had been so kind to me in Dr Brentwell's waiting room all those years ago. She looked older of course, perhaps in her mid fifties by now, but I knew I was not mistaken. John Brodie's funeral was in three days time and I just knew I had to go and pay my respects. It was the least I could do to repay that moment of kindness I had never forgotten.

When Tom came home I told him about my discovery. He knew about that moment at Dr Brentwell's rooms of course, but now I had a name for the woman who helped me. I told him that I wanted to go to the funeral and pay my respects and he was a little doubtful.

“I don't suppose anyone out there knows her background. You don't think she'll be worried you intend to expose her do you?”

The thought had never entered my head, and I brushed it aside.

“Of course I'd never do that,” I protested.

“Well alright, but I'm really busy at work right now. Do you mind driving out there yourself? It's quite a way.”

By now we had one car, a Toyota Land Cruiser which we used to pull a small caravan when we went away on touring holidays. It was sturdy and reliable, and I had no worries about making the trip. I hurriedly packed a black dress and heels, plus a couple of changes of casual clothing, and set out early the next morning. Fortunately I had two clear days to get there according to the newspaper. It sounded like there would be a big attendance so I phoned the hotel at Heywood's Crossing and was lucky to secure the last room they had, otherwise I might have had to tow the caravan and I didn't really want to do that.

I've always enjoyed driving out in the country, and I arrived at Heywood's Crossing the night before the funeral. The hotel was packed, and it was obvious that this was going to be a big occasion. I didn't even know if I would get a chance to speak to Lesley Brodie, I might just have to write her a note later.

The small local church was packed to overflowing, and I was one of those who had to sit out in the blazing sun. Fortunately a kind woman sitting beside me gave me some shade with her umbrella.

“Do you know the Brodies well?” she enquired.

“Not that well,” I replied “but Lesley did me a great kindness once and I had to come and pay my respects.”

“That would be Lesley,” she replied,”I knew John's first wife too and never thought he would find another wife to match her, but Lesley has and more.”

I smiled and hoped I would not get a grilling about the 'kindness' from Lesley, but fortunately the service started then and we had to stop talking. It was a nice service, and I learned quite a bit about John and the contributions he had made to the local countryside. Then Lesley spoke, and I could hear the pain in her voice, but also the strength, and when she read that lovely poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

“How do I love thee? Let me count the ways,”

I don't think there was a dry eye anywhere in the congregation, mine certainly weren't.

After the service was over, we were invited as tradition demands, to take refreshments in the church hall while the chief mourners went up to the graveyard to lay John Brodie to rest. I did not expect to see anyone I knew so it was quite a surprise when I suddenly realised that a man standing close to me was Dr Brentwell, so I introduced myself.

“Why Mandy! It's been a long time,” he said “but you're looking very well.”

“Thank you,” I replied. He looked well too, although he had to be in his mid seventies by now.

“So what are you doing here?” he enquired.

“I came to pay my respects when I found out quite by chance who the kind person was who encouraged me the first day I came to see you.”

“Oh yes, I remember now,” he replied “and of course there was...” He suddenly stopped as if realising he had said something he shouldn't have mentioned. I stared at him, the realisation hitting me like a thunderbolt.

“It was she and her husband who provided the money for my surgery when I lost it all wasn't it?” I blurted out.

Dr Brentwell looked very uncomfortable, so I let him off the hook.

“It's alright, you don't have to answer that — your face says it all.”

“They are very good people,” he said. “They've helped many people financially.”

“That makes me even happier that I came,” I said. “And don't worry, if I see her I won't mention what you said.”

In fact I did see Lesley Brodie later when she returned from the cemetery. She was standing in the middle of the crowd consuming their sandwiches and drinks, but for all that she seemed terribly alone, and no-one was talking to her at that moment, so I walked up to her and said “Please accept my condolences, Mrs Brodie.”

She looked at me in a puzzled sort of way and I continued “You don't remember me do you?”

“I'm sorry,” she replied.

“My name is Mandy Shore, it used to be Mandy Collins, and you only ever met me once, in a doctor's waiting room — a doctor who had a particular speciality. We have something in common, Mrs Brodie.”

She suddenly looked shocked and I could see she did remember me after all. There was something more in her eyes too, perhaps it was fear?

Just then someone came up to talk to her and she hurriedly said “I'm sorry we can't talk further today, but do get in touch. You know where I live.”

“Yes Mrs Brodie, I'll certainly do that, and once again, I am truly sorry for your loss,” I said and then as she was led away, I turned and walked back to my car.

The thought had suddenly occurred to me that maybe she thought I was going to threaten to expose her past. Perhaps Tom was right and I shouldn't have gone to the funeral.

I had intended to stay another night in Heywood's Crossing, but now I changed my mind and decided to head back home. Perhaps Lesley Brodie's loss had made me realise how much I appreciated having Tom, and I didn't want to spend any more time away from him. I did check where she lived and the telephone number before I left as I thought a phone call in a few days time might reassure her my intentions were not bad.

I took off my black dress and put on jeans, a check shirt and boots, much more suitable for bush travel. Then I checked out and loaded my bag into the Land Cruiser and headed east. The sun was starting to set and perhaps I should have waited until morning, but I was anxious to get home. The highway was generally quiet but as night fell a number of giant road trains approached and passed me with a thundering roar, shaking the Land Cruiser which is not a small vehicle. It was a little scary to say the least. I carried on, and some time later a mob of kangaroos bounded over the highway in front of me. I jammed on the brakes and the tail of the last one just caught the bull-bar as he leaped clear. That was enough for me.

'You didn't come all this way to get yourself killed,' I chided myself.

I drove slowly into the next small town which fortunately had a truck stop, where I parked among the big rigs, pushed my seat back and settled down to sleep.

I awoke at dawn, cold and cramped, got out of the wagon and stretched my legs. The cafe never closed so after a visit to the 'ladies' where I did my best to look human again, I tucked into a 'big breakfast' of bacon, eggs, sausage, and fried bread, plus a big mug of coffee, studiously avoiding the curious stares of the truckies. Thus fortified I took to the road again, and this time I stopped and checked into a motel before it got dark. I reached home without incident the following day. Tom had gone to work, as he wasn't expecting me until that evening, so I phoned him to let him know I was back, and then, feeling quite exhausted, went to bed.

When Tom came home that evening I clung to him as though I was scared to let him go.

“Darling, you've only been away five days,” he said gently.

“Well they were five long days and going to that funeral made me realise how precious our time is together.”

“So you spoke to Lesley Brodie then.”

“Yes I did, and Tom I think you might be right — you usually are. She may have thought I intended to expose her. She was polite though, and asked me to get in touch.”

“Well in that case I think you should, if only to reassure her.”

I waited three days. I didn't really know when the right time to ring might be, but perhaps this was a good a time as any.

“Lesley Brodie speaking,” her voice still sounded slightly strained. Had I miss-timed my call? It was too late now.

“It's Mandy Shore Mrs Brodie. Please tell me, are you still on a shared line or is it alright to talk freely?”

“Oh yes,” she replied, “we have an automatic exchange now, no-one listens in.”

“Mrs Brodie, I'm sorry if I alarmed you when I met you the other day. Please be assured that I have no intention of revealing your past, any more than I would want mine revealed. I came to pay my respects because of your kindness to me that day at Dr Brentwell's rooms when I was on the point of running out.”

“That's so long ago,” she replied, “I'm surprised you remember.”

“There are moments in a person's life they never forget,” I replied, “But during my trip out there, I discovered that I have something more to thank you for. I ran into Dr Brentwell and wondered why he was present. Then it occurred to me that it had to be something more than the fact he was your specialist all those years ago. I suddenly realised that you and Mr Brodie supplied the funds that enabled me to have my surgery after I lost all my money. Dr Brentwell didn't betray your confidence, he didn't have to. Just the look on his face when I blurted out my discovery was enough. What I wanted to say was 'thank you again' as you probably saved my life. I don't know if I could have faced starting over again to save the money for my surgery.”

“We didn't give you the money Mandy, it was a loan and you repaid all of it,” she replied.

“It was the least I could do, but you didn't know that when you loaned it to me.”

She laughed softly “Well, let's just say that Dr Brentwell had faith in you, and that was good enough for us.” Then she changed the subject. “Are you back home now?”

“Yes, in Brisbane.”

“Ah Brisbane, I know it well. I've flown down there many times.”

“Are you a pilot?” I asked.

“Oh yes, in the country you have to do many things, but I've always loved flying.”

I felt that perhaps she was being polite, making conversation with me, a comparative stranger, so I said “Well, I must not take up too much of your time, Mrs Brodie, but it's been nice talking to you and especially making sure there wasn't any misunderstanding.”

“Please call me Lesley. It's been nice talking to you too Mandy. Did you say your name is Shore now?”

“Yes Tom is my partner. He's a lovely man. As far as the world is concerned we are husband and wife.” It suddenly occurred to me that maybe I was rubbing salt into an open wound.

“It was the same with me and John,” she replied softly and I could hear the sadness in her voice. “Cherish your Tom, Mandy, life is so short.”

“I will,” I replied and then again “I'm so sorry.”

“I'm alright, really. I have good friends here, and a new one in Brisbane now. If you ever find your way out here again, you must come and visit, even stay. There's plenty of room.”

“Thank you, I should like that,” I said. "The next time you are in Brisbane, please let us know. I'm sure Tom would really like to meet you too."

Then it really was time to say our goodbyes.

When Tom came home I told him about my conversation with Lesley Brodie.

“Well I'm glad that was sorted out,” he said.

And now perhaps it really is time to say “And they lived happily ever after.”

Who knows what the future will bring, but loving and being loved by the most wonderful man in the world, I'm sure I can face it with confidence.

THE END

up
111 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Close But No Cigar

joannebarbarella's picture

Well, I thought you had finished the story last chapter, but I should have realised that to close the loop Mandy had to go to meet Lesley again.

A nice closure and a gentle little weep for me. Thank you Bronwen,

Joanne

Chapter n verse

I was wundrin wot the last chapter was gonna cover n feared some corny epilog but should've had more faith coz this is a lovely way to wind things up I have loved readin this series Bronwen and so enjoyed the matter of fact way Mandy has shared her story I only worry that after such an exciting life settling down with Tom might feel boring after a time x k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me

Mandy Collins/Shore

A Great Story, Thank You Bronwen.

Richard

The end

Thank you Bronwen for a lovely story, As always your writing is professional, I got to be close friends with you when you were editing my stories and I could not have done it without you, ''Thanks for just being you''

All my love, Carla Bay, :):)

ROO

Nice

Another good story wrapped up. I like the final chapter when a kindness many years ago could be returned.
Joanna

A most excellent story, and I

A most excellent story, and I do love how the two women came to be great friends. I was especially glad to read about Tom regaining some of his lower body movement and I would hope it would continue to even better than he currently has. So much is being learned about spinal cord injuries, and hopefully, within the next 40-50 years, we just may see some astounding recoveries by people with light, moderate and even maybe severe spinal injuries. Mandy did live a very, very interesting life, as so many others do. She did do well, tho as she gained some real friends in John and Micheal,and once more has her darling Tom at her side; and now has Leslie as a real friend as well. Just great indeed.

Mandy

Just wonderful, no soap opera, real life.