Easy As Falling Off A Bike part 39

Printer-friendly version

In which Cathy braves the elements and Angharad ignores more rules of grammar(and grandad).

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad & Little Red Riding Hood.
part 39.7684306.

As we neared the town centre, I pressed the bell on the bus and moved towards the door. "You're gonna get soaked luv," said the driver.

"Probably," I said shrugging my shoulders, "It wasn't raining when I came out."

"Is that brolly still on the luggage rack?" he asked.

I stepped back and looked, "Yes," I replied.

"Might as well borrow it, it's been there all day."

"Won't the owner be looking for it?"

"Dunno, we get hundreds left on the buses every year, go on, borrow it, who's gonna tell?"

I thanked him and holding my bags in one hand grasped the umbrella in the other. The bus stopped and I dashed out, shouted a goodbye to the driver, and ran into a shop doorway. It took two hands to put up the umbrella, and one of the spokes was broken, but it was better than nothing and I wondered if I could repair it when I got home.

The rain eased off slightly and although it wasn't enough to save my feet and legs getting wet, the brolly protected my head and shoulders. I went to the bank again and drew out some more cash from the hole in the wall. While I was there, I popped inside and spoke to the assistant manager. I explained my situation and that I would be changing my name. She advised me to do a statutory declaration and then bring it into the bank with a proof of identity/ address and they'd alter my bank account. I thanked her and trotted over to the dry cleaners and collected my jacket.

I decided to walk back to my room, it wasn't necessarily the best decision I've ever made. To start with, I had too much to carry with the umbrella. So I was in constant danger of dropping things, mainly my jacket which had just cost me an arm and a leg to get cleaned. Next time, I'd have to stand closer to the trough and maybe I wouldn't get splashed with my food!

To try to take my mind off the horrible walk home, I began to plan what I needed to buy or acquire for my new lifestyle. As far as my fieldwork was concerned most of my existing stuff could be used. I'd worn girls' jeans for the past six or seven months and nobody seemed to have noticed. The outdoor gear was too expensive to replace and pretty well unisex anyway.

My cycling kit was ruined, at least the best stuff was, my Saunier Duval outfit had big tears in it. I shook my head in disbelief, how could it be ruined and why was I the loser it should be Stella? It seemed that it might prove to be the payment I had to make to begin my transition. If so, maybe I got away quite lightly.

As I wandered along, a car drew up alongside me and a familiar voice said, "Would you like a lift, Cathy?" It was Stella, I nearly jumped in shock, I had just been thinking about her and she appeared! If that was the case, I'd have to be careful where I thought about different people or it could prove embarrassing. Imagine bumping into my parents whilst out with the local coven - I'm not a witch anyway, but I sniggered at the very idea.

The choice was get wetter or risk life and limb with Stella's driving. I got in the car, my logic being it was harder for her to run me over if I was in the car. However, knowing Stella a little, I didn't put anything past her.

Somehow, I directed her back to my room without showing how terrified I was of her driving. How she hadn't killed someone yet was in itself, a minor miracle. I was glad I was going out with Simon that night rather than Stella, I might live long enough to eat my dinner.

"So am I going to see your rooms?" asked Stella with some excitement.

"Room," I corrected her. "It's essentially a bedsit with a separate bathroom."

"A bit like the nurses home when I was training, basic but adequate."

"Yeah, that about sums it up."

To my astonishment, we got home in one piece. I struggled out of the car with all my shopping, handbag and brolly whilst Stella went to the boot of her car. "Carry on, I'll catch you up," she called to me.

It was still raining a bit, so I did as she suggested, opening up my defaced door and putting my purchases on the floor. She followed moments later with a suitcase and dress bag draped over the other arm. Seeing my surprise, she shrugged and said, "I decided to clear out some of the things I don't want anymore, wondered if you'd like them."

I didn't say anything, I was too overwhelmed. I know she had nearly killed me and damaged my bike and my skins, but she had sort of made good the damage and had been more than a catalyst in causing me to break out of my rut.

"Let's see what you've bought then," she instructed and I obeyed with a degree of enthusiasm, showing off my purchases.

"You're getting the hang of this, aren't you?" she said with twinkling eyes.

"I would if I had the money," I said, the statement being more of a throw away than a fact.

"Get Simon to buy you some clothes, he can afford it."

"Oh no, he'd expect something in return and I can't deliver."

"That's his hard luck," she said and laughed.

"No that would be dishonest and I'd prefer to buy my own."

"More fool you then." She began to undo the suitcase and pulled out a pile of clothes, plus another handbag. There was a suit, a couple of skirts, some jeans, two blouses and a top, and a beautiful floral dress which I loved at first sight.

"Are you sure about all this?" I asked unused to such bounty.

"Course, what you don't want dump or take to the charity shop."

"Can't I give you something for them, some look pretty well brand new."

"No, don't be silly, I'd rather give them to you than the charity shops at least I know you'll appreciate them and you have a need for some extra clothes."

"I just love that dress," I said almost drooling over it.

"Yeah, I did when I bought it, but it never felt right on me for some reason, try it on, let's have a look."

Before she could change her mind, I had stripped off and was carefully draping the dress over my body. It was purple floral pattern with ties which came from under the bodice and were to be tied behind. The neck was a vee one and showed a little of my cleavage or would if I had one.

"Wow Cathy, it looks better on you than it did on me, a better bra and some booster pads and it would look even better."

I did a twirl and felt really good in the silky material. I had decided what I would wear tonight, all I needed was to get Stella to show me some make up techniques.

"I thought your bike was in for repair?" she said to me.

"It is, that's one Simon persuaded the shop to loan me while they repair mine."

"Gosh, how do you manage to pull the brakes, they seem very stiff and too big for my hands."

"I need to adjust them, they're too big for mine as well."

Stella held up her hand and we compared them for size, they were about the same. She smiled at me, "Your hands are far too small to be a bloke, I think my bumping into you was a good thing."

Who was I to argue?

up
198 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

small hands

kristina l s's picture

Ah, that's it then. You're a girl.... so on yer bike Cathy! Keep it coming Angharad, plenty more comparisons to be made.

Kristina

Mmm Stella does appear to be There

...when Cathy needs her. It seems to me like Stella will be a major part in Cathy's life in the future and a positive influence. I hope that Cathy accepts the help and training Stella will provide her. I suspect, she has found a new sister in the form of Cathy and will not let her go :)

As for Cathy's romantic interests, we have yet to see. Nothing I have seen yet suggests she has to date men only. I truly wonder how she will develop in that area? I am itching to see....

Another thought occurred to me Angharad. Since you pointed out directly that Cathy appears to be built similarly to Stella, just how similar is she? Is there a possibility that Cathy is genetically a woman? intersexed? It certainly does spark some thinking over it since you stressed it.

And finally, nothing has been done yet to Cathy's flat door. Didn't Stella see the "Ice Queen" Logo scribbled all over it? No one has cleaned it off yet. Maybe add some dates and times and have a skating Ad :)

I may not have commented much Auntie, But I have been reading.

*HUGS*

Sephrena Lynn Miller

Yep

She is going to have to eat some crow for the lies, but not immediately. There could be trouble ahead if the bloke that kissed her finds out.

Another great expression

waif's picture

"The choice was get wetter or risk life and limb with Stella's driving. I got in the car, my logic being it was harder for her to run me over if I was in the car."

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.