Kit and Kin 9

Printer-friendly version
fire,nude,snow,cosplay-04fc881119e5966bc5b5afff118f74cb_h.jpg

Kit and Kin
 
by
poetheather

 
Takeshi Saito was a quiet student who kept his head down in Ravencrest High School trying to get along. But strange things happen in this small town and the spotlight finds those who would rather hide. So Takeshi finds himself pulled from his happy geek corner to somewhere else, somewhere he is not sure of.

Just another day in Ravencrest.

January 20

Talking to her friends, telling them about her having to move to California with a voice that was no longer her own was really very odd and more than a touch disturbing. Her mind was having some trouble connecting to that voice anymore and she felt off as she spoke, as if she was dealing with some odd disconnect. Her friend Maggie noticed something was off. “Are you okay?”

“Uh… not really. This sucks but I really do need to help my Aunt. This situation with my half-sister is going to put her in a bit of a bind.”

“Are you sure… it sounds like it could be something else.” pressed Maggie.

“Like what?” asked Maeko, a bit worried that somehow the magic was not working, that Maggie was hearing through the glamour.

“I don’t know. You just don’t sound right.” Her words were a bit hesitant, as she was still clearly trying to process all of this.

“Probably because I am not feeling good about this move.” grumbled Maeko, trying to distract Maggie, not wanting to give her any chance of figuring this out. That would be a total disaster.

“When are you leaving?” she asked.

“Tomorrow. Aunt Chiharu drove out here instead of flying, which had to be miserable. So now I get scenery on the way back. I told Wallace I was leaving already and he said he was going to let Greg know.”

“Will we be able to see you before you leave?” asked Maggie. She was clearly full of questions today.

“I guess. I am leaving sometime after lunch. My half-sister is moving in and I am packing out.”

“Is she nice?”

“Yeah, she has been having serious problems with her mom and they have had some arguments that turned into some pretty serious knock down and drag out fights, so the plan is for her to cool off here for who knows how long, at least the school year, maybe the summer as well and for me to be a helping hand out there. At least I am going from one Podunk town to another. Pearson’s Creek is actually smaller than this town if you can believe it, basically just a big tourist stop prior to hitting the parks out there for camping and hiking. I guess I will be outside a lot.” grumbled Maeko, trying to let that nerd flag fly high despite actually liking the outdoors.

“I’ll see if I can get over to your house early, okay?”

“That would be really great.”

Once the phone was dead, Maeko sighed in resignation. How the hell was she going to fool her friends with this farce? It really was an asshole move and that was not cool. But if she told Wallace or Maggie who knows what hell would break loose. The Unseen and the Sacred were supposed to remain invisible from the Norms and basically stating what had happened to her would ruin that. It would not end well for anyone. No, she had to work her ass off in order to make sure that they would be completely fooled by her new identity.

While she was learning from Aunt Chiharu everything it took to be a California girl from the Santa Cruz area, Uncle Satoshi was getting a crash course on how to be him. He would wear Takeshi’s form and introduce Maeko to her friends. The more she thought about it, the more the level of potential awkward involved in that one simple act simply defied understanding.

After discussing it all, it was figured that Maeko would be a bit tomboy-esque to cover things and that meant that she wouldn’t wear a nightgown but rather a cute sleep set that did look good on her nor would she wear skirts and dresses except for special occasions. And not all of her clothes got transformed by the magic that Chiharu used just most. It was a sufficient amount that filled a couple of suitcases with clothes that looked a bit different, since no one else in town would be wearing similar things, except for maybe that girl Ashley, who had also come from somewhere in California and had a kind of California fashion sense.

Now that the calls were done, she was able to sit back and let all the information she had learned all day flood into her head. The brain dump of information, about how to talk and what Pearson’s Creek was like. It made her head spin. She had to review all of this to ensure that she was ready to play the part of her own half-sister.

She had also spent some time learning a little bit of Kitsune magic, being able to summon a ball of foxfire and play with it. That had taken a good bit of concentration and felt really strange, as it was cool and tingly in her hand. Being invisible was also cool, but try as she might going incorporeal just didn’t happen. It was very frustrating as she could see so many possible uses for that skill. As for shapeshifting, she could only do a little of it, being unable to change her gender but able to shift her look to a degree. She was able to go Valley Girl with her look but unable to shift to look like she had as Takeshi. And now she was exhausted, having worn out her magic.

She wanted to get another read through of her new history done before she slept as well as listen to the California language track she had been given, in order to remember how to talk correctly. Trying to make sure words like ‘hella’ and ‘like’ as well as simple things such as calling San Francisco ‘the City’ was going to be a bit of a trick. And talking a bit faster would be somewhat of a challenge. She did get a nice smartphone out of this mess though, as no girl her age would be without one in Cali, especially if her parents could afford it, which her Aunt Chiharu could. This was going to be a neat trick if she could pull it off.

Having her kasa and mother laugh at her when she first tried to sound all Cali girl had been irritating. They had been enjoying things until Chiharu threw them out and made them talk to Sousobo about what needed to happen to ensure her training for the role as liaison. But now all that madness was over and she could rest. She changed into the warm sleep set Aunt Chiharu had conjured, with the fleece bottoms that were a purple plaid and the t-shirt like top also in purple. Shorts came with the set as well but she doubted that she would be wearing them any time soon. They kept her warm, and that was the most important factor in her mind.

She finished her reading and set the papers down with a sigh. This whole thing was going to make her insane, or at the very least more insane than she already was. Of course, Pepper had tried to be helpful all day, chiming in with helpful advice, carrying papers, failing more often than not but it was hella endearing. The little pixie had honestly tried to make things less crazy for Maeko even though her efforts had the opposite effect. Maeko smiled down at the little woman who was already asleep on an adjacent pillow and shook her head. This had been quite a day and maybe tomorrow would be better. At least she could hope.

* * * * *

The next day it was time to pile into the car for the drive back home so that this whole new life could really get started. Sousobo had said goodbye to them in the house and hugged Maeko warmly. Seeing her Uncle Satoshi shift his features so that he looked like Takeshi was a trip. He was even wearing some of her old clothes, which helped sell the truth of things. It did not make it any less creepy. Aunt Chiharu hugged her, kissing her on the cheek. “You’ll be fine Maeko. I am sure your parents will take care of you and you have my number in the phone as well. If you need anything, give me a call.”

“Thanks Aunt Chiharu.”

“No problem. You are a great fake kid, just so you know.”

Maeko stuck her tongue out in response, which earned her a big hug.

“Be safe.”

Maeko rolled her eyes and said in a fairly bored tone, “Yes Mom.”

The adults started laughing at that. “Well, be good baby and don’t give your Aunts any grief, you hear me?”

With a deep sigh of filled with the long suffering that all teenagers must endure, Maeko groaned out, “Yes Mom.”

With a final hug and a kiss on the forehead, Maeko entered the car. As they drove off back towards Ravencrest she turned and waved at Aunt Chiharu. Turning back forward she settled into her seat making sure her seat belt was secure. Her Uncle turned to her and asked, “So, your friends are going to be there, right?”

“Some of them are. At least they said that they were going to make it.”

“Okay, so Wallace is your best friend and Maggie is just a friend of yours.” clarified Satoshi yet again.

“Yes.”

“I am going to introduce you to them but you need to remember to try and be different around them. Don’t fall into any old habits. Try to be Maeko, not Takeshi in a different body. The longer you can remember to make that a difference then it won’t be an issue in a few weeks and it will become the way you are and the way everyone acts around you. This is easy.”

“Yes Uncle Satoshi, I remember my training in this kind of activity.”

“Good. It will make a lot of things easier for you if you do. This is going to be a lot more complex than some of those things though, as this is a longer time to hold this identity.”

“I just don’t feel right lying to my friends.” complained Maeko.

“You are doing that so the Coven does not think it has to go around ‘fixing’ people’s memories. You are doing them a favor by lying to them. You are providing them with some safety by taking this route and that is a good thing.” explained Satoshi in her old voice. “I know it is difficult but you can make new friendships with them if you do this carefully. They will be different friendships but that might be an okay thing as well. Just see how things are. The only people who might even be remotely safe to know the truth are any Unseen or Sacred, but be careful about that. Once that secret is out, it is out of your control.”

Pondering this point, Maeko absently nodded and tried to think about what she was going to do and how she was going to live her life now that she was someone new. It was a fairly huge issue and talking with everyone yesterday did set things in motion, giving her a base identity that she could live with to start. She kept running the data over in her mind, working on becoming this new girl she had become, Maeko Saito, half-sister to Takeshi, who was having issues with her mom and coming to live with her Aunt for a while, but it did not really solve the problem. The whole thing felt so surreal but it was what she had to work with.

The rest of the ride was completed mostly in silence, as they were all going over their roles in this little drama they had to play for a small audience. Chiharu was following behind in her car so she could pick up ‘Takeshi’ and drive him back up to the house with a slight delay, to give Maeko time to meet her friends again without the pressure of the evil mom. Then this whole farce would fall into her lap for her to juggle. This whole mess rested on her ability to play her part and convince this whole damn town that she was someone else. There was no telling what was going to occur if she flubbed something and that worried her.

As they drove up to the house, Satoshi tapped her leg and gestured slightly with his chin out the window. Both Maggie and Wallace were there, waiting for their arrival shifting awkwardly in the cold. Maeko took a deep and nervous breath, trying to calm down her now rapidly beating heart. Satoshi grinned so only she could see, “Showtime.”

Thankfully Pepper was aware that she should not say anything in case she exposed herself to the people, so that was one major worry down but that did not really make anything any easier all things considered. Satoshi exited the car and headed for her friends, looking kind of depressed and out of it. Maeko was a bit disgruntled by the act. Had she really acted that way when she had arrived at the compound? She drifted that way and heard Wallace say, “…still talking about your poem.”

Takeshi/Satoshi grumbled and said, “Damn! Maybe it’s a good thing I’m going to California. Then everyone can forget me and forget it without making my life hell.”

Maggie glanced over and noticed Maeko heading over towards them and asked, “Who’s this?”

“Oh, sorry guys. Wallace, Maggie, this is my half-sister Maeko from California. She’s having some issues with her mom so she’s coming to stay here and that’s why I get to go out there. Maeko, these are my friends Wallace and Maggie.”

Wallace looked her up and down, as if appraising her. He grinned in a slightly cheesy manner that Maeko was sure Wallace thought was dashing. It made her feel a little dirty and a touch sick to her stomach. Was he getting ready to hit on her? “Pleased to meet you. Any relative of my best friend is a friend of mine.”

Maggie didn’t quite do the same, rather taking in her whole appearance in a glance and smiling in a very friendly manner, waving. “Nice to meet you.”

“Could you guys show her around? I need to get going and pack as Aunt Chiharu will be here soon to pick me up.” said Takeshi/Satoshi.

Maeko frowned, trying to make sure that it was clear that she was not pleased with her ‘Mom’.

Wallace grinned and chimed in, “No problem man. I would be happy to show Maeko around our fine little town.”

Maggie rolled her eyes and shook her head, catching eyes with Maeko and smirking. Maeko tried to hold in a laugh and it came out in a slight giggle. Wallace frowned slightly turning back towards the girls. “What?”

Maeko looked up, trying for all sweetness and light, “Uhm… nothing. I am sure you and Maggie will do a hella good job showing me around Crowspeak or whatever you call it.”

Maggie snickered and asked, “It’s Ravencrest, which you had to know in order to make that joke. So Maeko, what grade are you in?”

“Sophomore. Had my sixteenth birthday a couple of months ago. What about you? You guys in the same grade as Take here?”

“Yes.” replied Maggie. “We’re in the 10th grade.”

“Cool. I guess you can maybe show me around the school then?” Maeko asked somewhat politely

“I’ll leave you guys to get acquainted. I gotta pack. Play nice Mae.” Takeshi/Satoshi said and headed off to the house.

Wallace looked a bit glum as Satoshi headed towards the house and Maeko wanted to say something but knew that there really wasn’t anything that she could say. “So, what is life like here?”

“Not too bad. It’s a bit strange but what are you going to do? It’s a small town and they have their own rules. When I graduate, I am so out of here. I want to head to a big city and actually have a taste of real civilization.”

Maggie shrugged and said, “I don’t know, I like it here. I am probably going to stay and go to college in town. The school is good, my family is all here and I love being around my family. It’s nice.”

Maeko already knew about Wallace’s plans but these plans of Maggie’s were new. This was an interesting side of her that he kind of liked. “Ugh… I’m glad you are happy with your family but right now I could just about strangle my mom.”

Maggie looked like she commiserated. “I’m sorry. What’s going on?”

“She’s being all controlling, won’t let me be who I am, trying to tell me what to do, who I can see. It’s just so damn infuriating!” growled out Maeko.

Wallace asked, as if trying to smoothly insert himself into her life, “Who was it she wouldn’t let you see?”

Maeko knew she had to shut this down because the very idea of being even a little romantically linked with Wallace made her sick to her stomach. No she had to go with something that was different enough that would stop them from prying and would buy her some time. While she was wasn’t sure how she felt about guys she was still fairly sure that she was still into girls. “The girl I liked. I really don’t want to talk about it. It just, like really hurts, you know. That’s why I got sent here to the other fucking coast, hella far from Cali.”

The silence that followed was awkward. Maeko was content with that. Mission success. Then Maggie hugged her, obviously trying to provide her with some comfort. “I am so sorry that happened to you. Why did your mom separate you? Does she hate lesbians or something?”

Maeko was a bit stunned, unsure how to respond. That was not something she wanted anybody to think about Aunt Chiharu. Thinking fast she said, “Sinika is a bit of a punk, a skater rat. Her family moved up from Santa Cruz to try and get her away from that crowd but she like so totally hot. She has the total bad girl thing going on with the hair kind of like Pink and unh…. But my Mom…” Maeko almost spat the word, “she doesn’t want me to hang out with a girl like that, thinks it will lead me to drink and do drugs and stuff. I mean, it’s only pot so it’s not like it’s really drugs. Thomas Jefferson smoked pot but no… she’s not happy with me so off she sent me to fucking Siberia.”

Wallace clearly looked uncomfortable with this revelation and Maggie looked a bit discomforted as well but she was clearly trying to make Maeko feel welcome despite all of that. The result of that made Maeko feel even closer to Maggie than she ever had before. It looked like the generally shy girl was actively trying to befriend her. Maeko smiled a bit apologetically and said, “Sorry, I’m more mad at my mom.”

“I get it.”

Wallace still looked a bit shell shocked after that barrage of information. Apparently a girl he was into being a cussing lesbian who smoked pot blew his mind or something; she was a bit unsure and really did not want to delve into the inner workings of Wallace’s mind in all honesty. That he had already seemed into her bothered her. This fascination with her really had to end before she had to hurt him in a way that really wouldn’t heal with a good night’s sleep. And she would, him or any one tried to touch her without her permission would find themselves in a world of hurt.

She was about to say something else when she heard a car pulling closer. She turned her head and saw her Aunt Chiharu’s car coming down the block. Remembering her role, she frowned and spat out, “ Fuck, it’s my mom. Look I gotta go. Can I talk to you tomorrow Mags? Wally?”

Maggie smiled, “Sure, I guess you will be going to school here?”

Maeko nodded. “That’s the plan.”

“Then we will see you there. And maybe we can give you a quick tour of the town after school. There are a lot of cool places like Mario’s, which is the local pizza place and then there is the comic book shop. It’ll be fun, honest.” She grinned at Maeko, gave her a quick hug and headed towards her bike. “Bye.”

Wallace shuffled a bit like a penguin on display and said somewhat less enthusiastically, “See you tomorrow Maeko. Tell Takeshi I’m waiting out here to say bye.”

She waved and headed towards the house before her Aunt pulled in to the driveway. It certainly looked like school was going to be interesting. She only hoped it wasn’t too interesting.

up
201 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Confusion

You know, I keep getting this story and the other, darker one about the oriental kid who gets turned into a girl by the grandmother confused. Its hard to keep track of who is doing what.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I don't see why? Sile and

I don't see why? Sile and Maeko have never met. Amane would bitch slap Aya for trying to be that bossy with her kid. And honestly neither of Maeko's mothers are that evil... well grace may be planning on getting her into an Easter Dress but that's not nearly the same order of magnitude as enslaving you to the family. Besides, Kimmie is also far, far, far, far smoother around girls than Maeko or Takeshi ever could be. Seriously.

How could you mix them up?

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

I'm mixed up!!!

Andrea Lena's picture

I just can't figure out why no one has ever tried to get ME into an Easter Dress. Ah, well....

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

It's your flat feet. I'm

It's your flat feet. I'm sorry to say. You know, I just could no longer hold back. It's cruel but it had to be done.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Look at your comment

Sile. Maeko. Amane. Aya. Takeshi. Then there's the one mother's name, Ha-ha or something like that. And all the Japanese honorifics in both stories. And the Japanese fairytales or whatever. That's not even considering the secondary characters. I'd have to search most of my city to find any of those names. I certainly wouldn't find all of them. Is it any wonder why they don't stick in my head? And if I can't even keep the names straight how am I going to keep the plots in mind and separated?


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Haha is just like calling

Haha is just like calling someone mom, same same. It is just the Japanese term for it. In my story Takeshi was turned into Maeko. His mother (haha) is named Amane Saito. Her older sister Chiharu liver in California. Her younger brother Satoshi lives in Skogshaven. The great grandmother is often referred to as Sousobo.

That is the primer for my story. Elsbeth can provide one for hers. Mine dealt with names only. There are also a few terms used such as Ninja and Miko but I figured that Ninja has been incorporated into English and Miko was cross-used with the English words for the role. If you ever have a question, just ask. I am more than happy to explain things.

Japanese is not my first language or culture. I learned it due to my study of martial arts, film, and language study. I always study culture with my language study and that filled me in on a great deal. Hence my ability to use the culture to a large degree in this story. I make mistakes, but I am trying.

Thanks for asking. Arigato.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Satoshi

I had the feeling that Satoshi was the Uncle from Skoghaven but without confirmation I was not going to make that correction in the Gazetteer. Now that I have that confirmation I can make that correction.

Japanese is not my first language or culture

Elsbeth's picture

Nor mine, I'm an Irish lass although I did date a lovely Japanese girl for a number of years while in college. Like Heather my knowledge is a smattering of studying other cultures, films and the like. Any cultural mistakes on my part are totally my own. (which if I have offended, I do apologize) Heather is right in that Maeko loving family bears no resemblance to the nightmare known as the Umeki family.

Ken/Kimme Umeki is from Hawaii along with his mother Kaede and father Maso. His grandmother is Sachiko.

The Shisaa family, although they know the Saito are quite different. They work for the Umeki family, as well as the Imai family.

Because of marriage Kimme's mother Kaede is the the head all three families - Imai, Umeki and Shisaa

As for the honorifics, here is a link to for a starting point. Of course I should pass out an Irish Gaelic primer with some of my stories :)

If you have any questions, about any of my stories please send me a PM (sorry if I sort of thread jacked this discussion)

-Elsbeth

PS Love the story :)

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Learning languages and

Learning languages and cultures is one of lifes great pleasures. I find tremendous joy in it, and if you look at my writing you will see the signs of that love scattered everywhere. I mean, 300 Rains is fueled by that love entirely. So, yeah.

Primers are perhaps a good thing. I do forget that not everyone is polylingual. Sorry everyone for being a dork.

Yeah, the Umeki family is like something out of a Primetime soap opera only with a touch more evil. I mean seriously. The Saitos are more out of a Disney special, at least at this point. No one has seen them angry yet.

And yes, please ask any Author any questions you might have about their stories. We love getting feedback and love knowing that people are engaged in our stories. We would be happy to talk with you and help you out. Really.

And Elsbeth, thanks for the love. It means a lot.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

No need to apologize...

You don't have to apologize for being a dork. Dorks are the most awesomest people to be around! :B

All of that aside, I must say... Well played Maeko, well played. Please keep it up Heather, I'm enjoying this story a lot. :)

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Thanks! I am trying to

Thanks! I am trying to provide an enjoyable tale. And Dorks really are awesome people. Some of the best people I know are dorks.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Ugly American syndrome

Thing is there are a lot of white Americans out there who do not spend any time out of their white bread world and consequently are culturally inflexible. It is thus sad that there is any need to explain terms when a simple google would probably suffice.

Kim

I think a lot of people

I think a lot of people forget that they can just highlight terms and google them, just like people forget that they can simply look up words they don't know when they are reading. Some you might be able to figure out by context but others you might have no clue.

As for UAS... I got very good at pretending to be from Canada when I was living in Europe. That or my language skills helped them to think I was a local, because I spoke with a regional German accent. There are a number of causes of UAS but cultural inflexibility and a sense of entitled superiority are the two big ones I noted most. You take care of the first and the other one tends to crumble on its own.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Ugly American syndrome

Elsbeth's picture

Very true, when I was working in the Middle East, I spent a few days at a Youth Hostel in the Dead Sea. Everyone was placed in large dorms, which is interesting. Anyway as I was unpacking my kit, I overheard a conversation in German off to the side of my. I understood about 1/2 of it but mostly it was questions about the bus schedule. Happily I knew the answer and in my horrible broken German I answered the question.

What amazed the group was that I was an American. They had never met a single American that bothered to even learn a smattering of their language. They were absolutely shocked, but very pleased. I have found if you try to go even half way, people are more than happy to come the other half.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

That is what I have found as

That is what I have found as well. I always try to learn some of the language of anywhere I go, so I can at least try to make an attempt. I get laughed at a lot, but since I like making people laugh this works for me. They feel good about life, I know I am almost communicating, it's a great moment. I recommend it to everyone. I have been practicing my eh! and such for any trips to Canada. I have heard it is pretty crazy up there.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Here's a shock, Kimmie

I grew up long before the age of the personal computer. In those days authors put the contextual information in the story. It is very distracting to get involved in a story only to have to drop out of it to go look up information, it breaks the mood. Lots of times I download a book or a story to read offline. Oops! No internet!

As for the "Ugly American Syndrome" you refer to, I certainly have some knowledge of that. I attended high school in Antwerp, Belgium and later on lived and worked in Norway. In Norway in fact I was actually registered as a non-native Norwegian and lived with my Norwegian family for several years. It was through them that I got my surgery in Denmark, which is why I didn't have the paperwork problems most have. Also, it helped that the Norwegian relative sponsoring me was a genuine Hero of the Norwegian Resistance during WW2, a member of the Oslo Gang who was betrayed to the Gestapo and spent 3 years in a forced labor camp in Poland.

Of course these situations required me to have a working knowledge of Flemish and Norwegian, with some ability in French and Spanish. I often helped out American tourists who had to navigate a foreign country armed with only a small book to translate with. Oops! No internet!

But sadly, these days the mind just doesn't have the flexability to pick up and assimilate an entirely new culture, particularly when I'm not even exposed to that culture on a daily basis. So I have to rely on information gleaned from the story. If that makes me an "Ugly American" in your eyes, then I personally feel you have a vision problem.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Nah, that doesn't make you an

Nah, that doesn't make you an Ugly American, that just makes you unfamiliar with the terms. You asked about them which put you automatically in a different category. UAS demands that all people speak American English, you were just having the streams cross. Not the same thing even remotely.

And as for the term haha, I thought I had made it clear it was a term for mother, but if you were still confused, apparently I was not clear enough. I did try to provide context for as many of the terms as I could and used them sparingly, since these are very much Americans of Japanese origin and not Japanese living in America.

And as for your experiences... WOAH! That is seriously amazing. You met some incredible people it sounds like. Way to have an awesome time running around that area. And what a cool way to be living in Norway. Very sweet. +2 Internet points for that and some serious History points for the relative.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Trying is the answer

Over half my extend family are Asian of different nationalizes, while part of the other half are of different European nationalizes that immigrated to the states, with a good bit of the native population to round out the mix, so in other words mut. Even with all these resources at my disposal I have found that I have very little ability to pickup a language beyond the English I grew up exposed to the most. Now, as to culture I soak that in like a sponge, I have visited family in Japan several times and loved it, even tho my Japanese is poor to bad. I have found that trying to speak their language is the way to make friends and get people to help you that would just pretend not to understand English otherwise. Someday I will learn enough Japanese to not embarrass myself and stun my relations speechless.

Kit and Kin 9

Very interesting. and Good.

Thank you. I am glad you are

Thank you. I am glad you are enjoying it.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

The charade

It'll be interesting to see how long everyone will believe in the charade. After all, because the family are unaware of recent happenings in some Unseen families in town, they won't be aware that those families have also experienced events similar to Takeshi / Maeko, so by extension would almost certainly guarantee discretion if they knew Maeko's true identity.

Needless to say, the charade would have to be maintained perpetually for the benefit of all but one Norm in town (Maggie, of course, isn't a 'normal' Norm, given her home happens to contain the Coven's main meeting room), but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if some of the other Unseen notice some of the proverbial 'chinks' in the armour of Maeko's charade. Added onto which, having a (very) small group of friends who were 'in' on the secret could provide a great pressure relief vessel, otherwise she'll just be swapping one form of having to live perpetually 'under cover' for another.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Ah... then you missed some of

Ah... then you missed some of the clues in earlier chapters then... interesting. No, the Clan is aware of what has occurred in town and the Duke even alluded to it when he spoke to the great-grandmother. They Know that the Clans would have discretion but but once a secret is out of your control you no longer control its fate. So Satoshi was telling her to have caution even there because of that very reason.

And yeah, the charade is forever, just like for all of the characters in these stories. They can no more claim their rightful places than they could change back. It is the saddest part of the transition. At least Maeko got to be a half-sister. That's pretty good as far as the circle of stories goes.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Tracy Locke

Tracy gets to be Trevor's twin sister who had been sent off to a boarding school in Europe long ago so at least she gets to keep her birthday the same. It also helped Tracy in that one of her best friends had already turned 16 earlier and came into her heritage as a Crawford Witch so was able to figure out the truth very early. Cindy however had to become an orphaned cousin from Eastern Massachusetts which meant that until her twin brother and older sister got adopted by their Aunt and Uncle she now had to refer to them as cousins instead of as brother and sister for a while.

One thing that probably caused headaches for the Lockes, Harpers and the Coven is that Tracy and Cindy shared the same birthday and changed on the same day so that two boys disappeared from Ravencrest HS and two girls took their place when they both went back to school. If you remember, one of the bullies (Mike, soon to become Misty Curtis) tried to put out that Tracy was Trevor after a sex change.

I do recall that fact, and

I do recall that fact, and that fact that Takeshi and Maeko were seen together can help dispel that potential threat. That and being so very different can help with that as well. It isn't the perfect cover but it works. And twin sister would never have worked as they wouldn't have sent her off anywhere and orphaned cousin had been used and I didn't want to copy. Half-sister seemed like a good one to me that explained the similar looks and everything.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Yes, half-sister is perfect

Especially one that is several months older than her half-brother. Hello brother by a different mother :) I like YOUR mother better than mine...

Well, it does throw things

Well, it does throw things off and confuse the issue a good amount. That always helps.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Maeko is a Ninja... but she's

Maeko is a Ninja... but she's roleplaying again. She's starting to set herself up as a wild-girl with problems with her mother because she's becoming a dope addict. I'm not sure if that's much better than a total geek. Can she actually stop roleplaying and just be herself?
I hope Takeshi's friends can somehow figure out what happened to him.

Thank you for writing this captivating story,
Beyogi

Well she is a teenager

Away from her 'mother' she may suddenly stop having to rebel. She can drop the drug user part with no problem and just stick to being lesbian being the main issue. Since she will have her 'understanding' aunt and her lesbian partner here, well problem solved while she is 'visiting'. Having fictional issues (except the lesbian part) to solve will help deflect her initial shortcomings at presentation. And I agree, initially, she is trading one disguise for another one though the latter will no longer be a disguise eventually whereas the wimp disguise struck at the core of her character, the new female aspect is not so onerous in a way compare to her old problem. She does have so much to adapt to still though and she is hitting the ground running.

Finally there has to be a better term for her than ninja as ninjas are classified as assassins. Maybe a 'white ninja?'.

Kim

You are quite right with the

You are quite right with the basics of how the process is planned to work out. And this is a good cover while she adapts because people will see the cover and not her forthe most part.

And ninjas and ninjas. Some worked as spies, bodyguards and even assassins. Not all of their work was wet work but a portion of it. It might be easier to think of them as Medieval SEALs. And white ninja just makes me think of the terrible 'American Ninja' movies of the 80s so we will never speak of this again.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Ugh .. American Ninja

I watched that ... and just ugh. I had forgotten that movie, so Thank You So Much Heather.

Sorry, I think my favorite portrayal of ninjas will always be in The Tick comic book :)

Kim

Look you mentioned White

Look you mentioned White ninja not me, don't foist blame on me for that one.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Well maybe I did bring it up

I Did forget after all.

But do you really think my punishment truly fit the crime?

Judge Heather the Hanging Judge is what you are, betcha you would sentence some poor smuck to 50 viewings of that movie for jay walking ;)

Kim

Not 50... I am not sure the

Not 50... I am not sure the poor schmuck could endure that many viewings. Maybe just 5 and one of the sequels for good measure. That'll learn 'em.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

If that's the case...

I'd hate to see what you can cook up with intent. Yeesh...

Peace be with you and Blessed be

And this probably will work better than if she had remained male

Before transformation, dweeb eurasian boy who was a total floor mat even for non-bullies, after transformation, buff eurasian boy that knows how to kick ass. Not even Tracy and Cindy's male persona's were total floor mats. Plus the fact that it was a known phenomina that Locke and Harper (and probably Corday's and Style's) 16 year old's had a history of total makeover's on their 16th birthday but I am willing to bet that the Saito's were way more low-key. I would also guess that the McCormick's at this time were a non-issue since it looks like Takashi is the only McC (in Ravencrest) of this generation and I bet only Mr McC was the only one besides his sister who knew. I am willing to bet that none of the kids at RHS knew that Takashi is related to their VP since it appeared that even Tak did not know.

You are correct that Takeshi

You are correct that Takeshi did not know he was related to Mr. McC. That clearly came as a surprise when it was revealed (several chapters back). And as for the Saitos being low-key with their transformations, yeah, kind of as a rule. The others may revel in it but the Saito are aware that the hidden weapon provides the best surprise. So yeah, this plan now has a far greater chance of success than before as she can literally start from scratch.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Facts

I love it when I actually get my facts straight :) Oh, and my out-right guesses :)

This developement is probably going to get Mr McC even more pissed at his sister though since I am fairly sure that he knows that his sister temporarily changed to a man to father her son. Now he is going to think that she did it with Amane's sister as a test run for fathering Takashi.

It also might make the Coven a bit suspicious if they were the one's who initially provided the spell to change Grace into a man temporarily unless she spent time as a man for several months for her to father Takashi.

Yes, I am wildly speculating again :) It is fun to find out whether I am right or wrong even if it means I put my size 11 foot into my mouth :)

I can neither confirm nor

I can neither confirm nor deny some of this speculation (as it hasn't come out in story) but there might be some underestimation on the power of magic there.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Yeah, but she also is aware

Yeah, but she also is aware that this role is only a temporary one to get her set up in town. And she's not a dope addict, all she has admitted to is smoking some with her girlfriend, nothing more. And yeah, that's not much better, but it perfectly explains the whole troubled teen shipped to the other side of the country thing in one quick burst. Once that fiction is in place any calming down and relaxing will be taken as her becoming more herself and moving away from bad influences.

Thank you for reading.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Well Maeko's ....

On stage now. So far, so good. Maybe just a bit over the top for effect, but I guess her personality can soften a bit over time. So now the fun starts? Nice chapter, keep'em.coming! Thanks Heather! (Hugs) Taarpa

Wait, the fun hasn't started

Wait, the fun hasn't started already? Man I must be doing something wrong.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Kit and Kin 9

After Maeko has been accepted in her new identity, will there ever be a need for Takeshi to return? And what will Maeko do as a schoolgirl and yet be a two-tailed kitsunie fox girl?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

That is your term and not

That is your term and not anybody elses. Though it is a cute one.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Tails

Actually, Maeko at this time has manifested as a 3 tail. And it also sounds like the family was a bit surprised by her already being a 3-tail. It sounds like as she grows older she will be as powerful if not more powerful than her great-grandmother who I believe is a 9-tail.

Suddenly...

The image of Miles "Tails" Prower of Sonic the Hedgehog fame came into my mind when I read that title. It's a shame that Dani isn't going to be around, as I'm sure that she could have turned Maeko into an ace mechanic able to fix-darn near anything. :P

Peace be with you and Blessed be

If there is ever a need

If there is ever a need Satoshi can always show up and do a repeat performance. He's played him once and he can do it again. And why would there be an issue with those two aspects? Did Cindy have a problem? Tracey? Any of the others? Just because she has multiple tails does not mean she would have issues doing things. They are a mark of power not learning difficulties. And Payter is correct... she has three tails not two. The number of tails is important.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

A Tour of the Town

Drakira's picture

Seems like Maeko is starting to settle into her new role, and Wallace definitely seems more than eager to show her around. Sounds like someone has a crush on Maeko.

I'm definitely betting that Maggie will find out, and she's probably going to be wondering what the hell is going on with all the people she knows changing.

And I could definitely see an interesting scene in the comic book store if they end up going there in an upcoming chapter, ;).

Drakira

I can easily see that

I can easily see that conversation being amusing.

And yeah, Maeko has had a few days to get a handle on things, so she is settling down. Wallace is not going to make things easier on her, as yeah, overreacting to a cute girl. Violation of the brocode right there though: hitting on a bro's sister, even is she is just a half-sister. Uncool.

Maggie is far too clever for her own good and either lucky or unlucky, that one is still up in the air. So who knows where that one ends up. But she is moving towards being a friend.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Great chapter heather

As always another great chapter in another great story of yours.Looking forward to the next chapter of this an transtioning home.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Pure awesome sauce

Pure awesome sauce. Can't wait to read the next chapter. Keep up the good work.

I am glad you enjoyed it.

I am glad you enjoyed it.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.