FTL-14...Faster Than Life.

Printer-friendly version

FTL-14...Faster Than Life.

Chapter 14

I can’t help but wonder if we’re being watched?

Command has shown me they’re fond of tests for things and even if this party was one of those military personnel only things and approved escorts and Elle’s people…if we’re being watched as to see just who’s going to say the wrong things. I noticed Elle had glanced at several people in a strange way and I didn’t know those people.

Yes past tense. The party is nearly over I think and we had a good time…I think I have finally gotten that old hand at drinking amusement thing when watching those new to it.

Like Elle…

She had “sampled” a lot of different drinks. And apparently they have alcohol but she’s still new to it and all of our variations of it.

I wonder just how the people watching us will take me holding her hair while she pukes her guts up into the toilet in the ladies room.

Beer, ale, dark ale, rum, dark rum, coconut rum…agave whiskey, mescal….and food all coming up…

Ewww…I must have missed her getting gelatin shots when I was dancing with Patrick.

Thankfully the scent of my skin lotion was combating the smells. That and I keep flushing the foulness away.

Thankfully her being drunk is a good cover for her babbling crying in her native language. It’s sort of this light sounding language with what I’d call lots of vowel sounds in it. It’s still nothing like the languages I’ve studied though.

I get her off the floor and to the sinks and actually pick he up and set her butt on the long counter top and get a pack of wipes out of my purse and I start to wipe off her face and it’s a good thing that she wasn’t wearing any make up I’m not sure that I could do the effects of whatever they’d use.

She’s blinking at me as I’m scrubbing her face. “Erin you are a goooooooood friend.”

“Well we just met Elle but I would like if we could be friends.”

“Yesh! Yesh we is goooood friends I can can not imagine going through all of this space to be at a place like this and to talk to one of you ish jus amazing…”

“Shush…yeah it’s amazing but where did you get your outfit for this because it looks like its local clothing.”

She gets all excited and hyper as only the really new to being really drunk get and she’s also doing the drunken burps thing too and I get her finally cleaned up and then help her off the counter, fix her skirt and we head out of the bathrooms.

Patrick’s looking at me and smiles. “She’s a little hammered.”

“She’s plastered.”

Elle stares at us and squinty scowls. “I don’t get youse…you...you…why are you talking about car…carpentry? (burp) I don’t get you stupid language.”

She starts talking and muttering in what I still think is her language and then she’s tilting to one side as she’s trying to take off her shoes and is almost falling over. “Stoopid heels, can’t walk straight.”

I’m smiling and I help Elle with her shoes and I carry them after she drops them twice and I actually head over to where I have seen what looked like her people mingling with mine. Two of them get up from the far off table they are at and walk to me they’re male and they look like they’re well built but at the same time sort of average? Five ten, one hundred and eighty pounds lean yet muscled. But they move like Patrick they move like fighters.

“Evening I’m afraid some of the local fare and drink didn’t sit too well with Elle, I thought it might be best if I dropped her off to her shipmates.”

They give me a look like they didn’t really understand me but take her and one makes a face and rolls his eyes when she burps in his face. The other one sniffs and makes a face and he nods at me and tries a smile. Oh he’s so do on their diplomatic side of things but I nod and smile back and I head off to find Patrick again.

Hopefully I handled the whole thing alright and without incident.

I head to where I see Patrick talking to a bunch of other Tritons and I just get myself a bottle of gingered ale and watch them. I think they’re his unit. Okay ladies and men if you’re that inclined picture seven hard bodied military men that are the sexy embodiment of the merman myth. I’m enjoying the view. I’m a little curious as one of them is passing them out these nano-gel pill packets and they’re all popping them as they’re talking and drinking beer.

I hold off from going over but get beckoned over to a group of other women. “Yes?”

“You’re Erin right?”

“Yes?”

“Patrick’s steady.”

“Yes.”

“We’re theirs.”

“Oh…” I understand sort of this is like the wives club kind of thing.

“So you and pat have the talk yet?”

“The talk?”

“Yeah about getting serious?”

“No, I’m a cadet still and I’ve got a lot of training to go through and he’s a Triton…he’ll be leaving to go out in the field soon.”

“Tomorrow.”

“What?”

“Tomorrow, they’re going out on a mission hence the shadow-drops.”

“Shadow-drops?”

“The nano pills.”

“Oh…?”

“It’s going to be a night op or something where getting darker will be an advantage.”

“Pardon?”

“The nano-pills have colorizers in them to darken their skin and hair and scales so they get darker and it makes them easier to blend in plus their blockers.”

“Blockers?”

“The nano’s in these drops down pull out until they’re preset time goes off but they actually emit an low level ECM kind of thing that drops them out of thermal, night vision and infrared.”

“How?”

“Dunno but it’s some kind of special forces SOP implant that works with the nano’s.”

“So you can’t see them on sensors?”

“Nope, cloaked out.”

“Wow so what about natural bio-senses that do the same?”

“That’s where their special forces training comes in.”

“Oh…” Okay I knew Patrick did stuff that was like that but there’s knowing and then there’s knowing.

“So are you two parting ways then?”

“Yes….I’m really not sure how to feel about it, he’s my first and my first real relationship too.”

“You go over and take him back to your place and you make love all night then.”

“But he’s with his team mates.”

“No worries girl we’re all going to do the same c’mon.”

With that she shoves herself off the table she was leaning on and we all go over as a group of women talking our men away from their gathering to our private places and to see them off properly.

I’ll make no bones I guess as they say about it. I took Patrick back to our cabana and we made love all night. I cried too and there was this intense desperation to the times when we made love…we barely dozed either in between the times that we made love. I had even done my very best at giving him oral sex though I’m not very skilled at it. It’s not like that’s not a kind of sex that I don’t enjoy either but it’s still sort of intimidating.

But he loves it.

Is there a man that doesn’t?

I’m shaky and crying in the morning as we eat breakfast as the sun comes up and his implants tell him it’s time to go and I go with him to the actual base grounds here and I’m not alone in seeing him off or being all sad and hurting and crying doing so.

I have no idea when or if I’ll ever see him again and that scares and hurts me.

There’s more than just his team leaving too there must be six teams and what looks like some of the combat pilots leaving too and there’s a lot of hurt going around but there’s pride there too because we’re almost all part of the same military here and we all know the risks and the score as they say.

But honestly…flat out this was harder on me than leaving home and getting cut off from my family.

It’s because he told me. “Erin…I love you.” before his last kiss and him watching me as he walked backwards up the ramp for the shuttle.

It’s the hardest thing because he meant it and I think honestly that’s the first time anyone had ever said those words to me and meant them.

I’m just standing here now like the others watching the sky and the slowly fading star shine lights of their thrusters carrying them away to war.

up
212 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

alway great to see

a new chapter of this. I hope Elle doesn't get in trouble, the tension after a deployment can make you drink a lot more than you realize, of course she a long way from home yet. Erin is going to be missing Patrick for a while too.
great chapter, thanks

With her luck

Elle is gonna be the alien's commander's daughter or something. Always good to see but the chapters are always too short.

I think she is lucky Elle did not get alcohol poisoning. Also, it interesting that considering her alien physiology she is sensitive to that moderate poison in the first place.

Kim

Elle's going to be interesting:)

But not the commanders daughter. But it wasn't so much sensitivity to alcohol but mixing and matching booze they don't have the varieties we have.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Nice to see more of this story

Elle is surprisingly human in her behavior. Not so alien these aliens ;-)

I was thinking the same.

These folks are very much like us. No mistake too, to see the Tritons who are SF types there at the party. Obviously meant to give a casual air, but still with strict security at the same time.

I do hope neither Elle or Erin catches any flak.

hugs
Grover

Aways enjoy

The English Teacher's picture

FLT

Thanks

So much to read, so little time and only one of me :)

The English Teacher

Ah the classic scene of the

Ah the classic scene of the wife watching the sailor sailing away to war, only in space age. Great story, I kind of hope we'll see the drunken alien again. I hope she won't be too emberassed by the whole thing.

Thank you for writing this captivating story,
Beyogi

Thanks Beyogi I was trying for that:)

Yeah Elle might be very self conscious on their next meeting but she's young and the young make mistakes.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Good to see.

So much good writing so little time to read. Lady how do you keep all of these story lines organized in your head. All of the different characters have very believable personalities quirks and all are very individual in there nature. The longer I read your works the more I see your skills as a story teller.

Huggles
Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Lots of time with Role-Playing and

running games with NPC's really gets your brain running in plots and threads. I'm glad that you liked this.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

"Erin, I love you."

'It’s because he told me. “Erin…I love you.” before his last kiss and him watching me as he walked backwards up the ramp for the shuttle.

It’s the hardest thing because he meant it and I think honestly that’s the first time anyone had ever said those words to me and meant them.'

Ouchies.

powerful stuff here, bro.

DogSig.png

Yeah the relationship was with the Ouchies.

I'm surprised at the intense scenes that come out of this story. I wasn't planning them all.
*Great Big Angel Hugs*
Bailey...A Proud Big Brother.

Bailey Summers

I was concerned like Kim

About the alcohol-alien mix. I hope this was considered by medics, humyn and alien before this party. It seemed like Elle was unfamiliar with ethanol and it's effects, but it's a simple molecule that at least alien chemists have encountered. It all seemed a little unplanned, like poor intelligence by the aliens. To much ethanol poisons us; the alien bodies might have a lower limit to toxicity or they could be effected by it like the way methanol effects us; we're poisoned by it in much smaller doses.

Now I know Bailey cares very much about his direct, chain of thought, ideas to paper, style. I won't criticize, but I had trouble parsing this triple negative:

>> It’s not like that’s not a kind of sex that I don’t enjoy either but it’s still sort of intimidating. <<

Is there another negative in the "... either, but... " construction? No; I guess that's another clause.

|that's not a kind of sex that I don’t enjoy| = |that is the kind of sex that I do enjoy| - double negatives cancel out. => It’s not like\ that’s a kind of sex that I do enjoy... triple negative reduced to single negative, but I think the meaning of this sentence is intended to be opposite the single negative version????

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

It was more Elle mixing booze like a rookie than

her race not being alcohol familiar, they have their own alcohols but nothing like the different kinds we have...and well mixing and matching doesn't mix.
Sorry for the grammar but I write things in the way they're though and not in the proper grammar way.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

:D

Extravagance's picture

I'm non-religious, but I occasionally make an exception and worship the porcelain gods. They're very good at purging the overload of spirits from my body. = )
I'm an insufferable hedonist, I know. ^_^
*Grins broadly and administers HuggleNuzzlePurrs* <3

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Oh that'd so confuse people in that era:)

They wouldn't get it at all. I haven't decided it that'd be something still be around.
*More Huggles.*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

So they show up...

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

“You go over and take him back to your place and you make love all night then.”
“But he’s with his team mates.”
“No worries girl we’re all going to do the same c’mon.”

So the team shows up for their assignment all tired out feeling content & happy yet sad at the same time.

A military standard yet non-standard send off.

You take most people going into combat, if you can you spend time with those you love as much as you can just in case.
*Big Hugs for Pixie Dust.*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Suicide

Jamie Lee's picture

Drinking like Elle did is called drinking a suicide, except they weren't mixed together until they reached her system. She is going to be so hurting the following morning, unless they have a way to counter the effects. I so don't want to be in her head when she wakes up.

Erin has fallen hard for Patrick, how she feels at his deployment proves it. How he's been when they've been together proves he's fallen for her too. Being in space and the military, neither know when their time will come. So will they be able to continue their relationship despite their different jobs? Will Patrick return?

Others have feelings too.