Easy As Falling Off A Bike part 24

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad & Claude Butler.
part 24psi.

Simon continued to struggle with my bike and the rear seat; he needed to put it down to increase the space in the boot. The good looking lad from the garage winked at me and pointed at the telephone number on the side of the truck. He glanced at Simon who had his back to us, muttering and cursing at his inability to get the seat down. Then he pointed at the telephone number again and pointed at me and pretended to be writing something down. He pointed at me again. My God, he wanted my phone number! In less than 24 hours of appearing as female, I had two men wanting to date me. This was getting silly.

"Kev, can you get this bloody seat down for me, it seems stuck," Simon called.

Kev noticed the bike with the shattered wheel, "Some bike, Simon, didn't know you were into racing."

"I'm not, it's young Cathy's."

"Oh yeah, I can see now, it's a woman's bike." He manoeuvred Simon out of the way, and leant into the car. Within two seconds he'd unclipped the seat and laid it flat. Simon busied himself with putting my Scott into the boot. "So, do you race?"

"I have done once or twice," I replied casually, not sure I wanted to engage in conversation with another predatory male. It was true, I'd ridden in one or two events organised by the university bike club.

"Which club?" he asked. I wasn't sure I needed this interrogation and pretended not to hear him.

"I think she rides at the university," offered Simon, not helping me one bit.

"Do you know Neil Flanders?" asked Kev.

My stomach did a backflip causing the remaining flying pig to go into a tail-spin. I knew Neil all right, it was his fault I hadn't ridden more than two races at the university. He told me I wasn't good enough and should maybe try the 'girlies' team. Neil was an oaf, a big muscle-bound hairy-arsed, oaf and I despised him. It was because of his insults and tauntings I bought the Scott and did some serious training. All this flashed through my mind as I shook my head and and said, "No, I don't know him."

"Oh," Kev scratched his head, "I thought he ran the uni bike club," he shrugged his shoulders.

"He might," I replied realising I needed to weave a slightly more tangled web, "at this uni, I raced at Sussex where I did my bachelor's degree. I haven't raced here," I lied.

"Ah, that would explain it, you need to talk to Neil."

Talk to Neil, I'd rather French kiss a crocodile! "I'll see," I said non-committally. "Until the bike is checked out and the wheel fixed, I won't be riding, period."

Before Simon could shut the boot lid, Kev was looking at my bike. He had it out of the boot and was checking the rear forks and frame. "It looks as if it's only the wheel, Campag, that's gonna cost you."

"We're on our way to the bike shop now, Stella ran into Cathy, so to speak." Simon attempted to take the bike back from Kev.

"Which one you going to?" asked Kev.

"Which one, Cathy?" asked Simon.

"The little one down past the anatomy school."

"Oh Paget's, look tell him you're a member of Hunter's CC, he'll do a better job and give you a discount. Tell him Kev sent you, I'm the club secretary."

"But I'm not a member, am I?" I muttered, "I can't tell lies." May God forgive me, I'd done nothing but lie for the past twenty four hours.

"Why not, I do it all the time?" joked Simon, until I cast him a withering look. I was beginning to get the hang of this being a girl business.

"Raise your right hand," instructed Kev. I did as I was told.

"Now say after me, I promise to uphold the rules and regulations of Hunter's Cycle Club, to race safely and cleanly and to the best of my ability."

I sat astonished as my mouth did exactly as he instructed me. Where was this leading?

"Okay Cathy, is that with a 'C' or a 'K'?"

"A 'C'," I answered.

"Cathy what?"

"Yes, how did you know?"

"What?" he scratched his head again.

"Yes," I smiled back.

He looked completely and utterly confused. "Does she do this to you, Simon?"

"She could do anything she wanted to me, dear boy."

I gave Simon another withering glance and saw him flinch. That felt good. "My name is Cathy Watts," I said, wondering if I should have used a different surname from my real one.

Kev started to laugh and his blue eyes sparkled. He was so good looking. My God, what am I saying?

"Right, Cathy Watts, you are hereby accepted as an honorary member of Hunter's CC, you'll need to join properly some time and I'll need a deposit."

I blushed, "I'm sorry, I erm haven't any money with me," God this was so embarrassing.

"I'll take a kiss in lieu of cash," he said and before I could blink had kissed me on the lips. I froze. "Here's my card," he shoved a piece of cardboard into my lifeless hand. Then he shut the door and proceeded to move his truck to tow Simon's car away.

Simon shut the boot lid with more force than was necessary, he slammed the car door as he got in, "The nerve of that bastard, you okay?"

I nodded silently in complete and utter shock, I had just experienced my first orgasmic feeling.

up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I was right

Cathy doesn't get to go home does she?

"My stomach did a backflip causing the remaining flying pig to go into a tail-spin." Priceless! My warped imagination is running riot. Situation normal.

Susie

For the benefit of

Angharad's picture

For the benefit of non-Brits, Claude Butler is an old and reputable make of bike, and psi stands for pounds per square inch and relates to tyre pressures. (You can laugh now, or groan - I don't care, can't hear you!).

Angharad.

Angharad

Clawed butler

A friend of mine had a Claud Butler and boy could he ride.

I just can't get over the fact that day after day I have seen episodes of this and passed them by, but like buses, 24 come at once!

Did you really used to go to Sussex Uni? My adopted father was a professor there.

Small world huh?

I've got to go make dinner, I can't keep reading this, but I can't put it down so to speak either - bastard. Oh well, there's always tomorrow...

oh very good

kristina l s's picture

Cathy Watts no less. Campag...that's them, couldn't remember what the rims were on my MTB thing, Campagnolo's w' swanky tapered spokes, very swish, yet strong and light. Poor old Cathy, surrounded by insensitive Brutes out to take advantage wherever they can... It's a cruel world. More work on the withering looks maybe. Assertiveness for girls? There's probably a course.
Kristina

Another great chapter

Another great chapter angharad I can't help but smile and laugh when I read your story.Us Americans know what psi is, it's tyres that make us scratch our heads.We have wheels or rims and tires and I know you english make good bikes.Thanks Amy

"Two nations separated by

Angharad's picture

"Two nations separated by the same language," (Shaw)
'tyres' you put on wheels, 'tires' is what happens when you go up hills.

Glad you lot over the pond are enjoying it, even if you can't understand half of it! :)

Hugz,

Angharad.

Angharad

Two nations...

They also have pumps, but they're not the sort of gym shoe we wear, most of us wouldn't be allowed into a gym with American 'pumps' on. We have bumpers on our cars, but they have fenders. We put them on boats. I suspect there are more, but I think that's enough for today...

words

Diesel Driver's picture

Over here in the Americas a Bonnet is a hat, in GB a bonnet covers the engine of your car. A boot is an item of footwear and over there is where you store things in your car, we call it the trunk.

We ought to officially name the language spoken in the United States as American or something since it is certainly at great variance with English as spoken in GB. Like you lot, we also have our own dialects and variations of pronunciation that confuse us. "You lot.." is a figure of speech we simply don't use over here either.

Chris

Re: Two Nations Separated...

I have fortunately read enough novels from British authors and seen enough shows from the BBC to have learnt many of the differences the two versions of our common language present. Yes, Angharad, this Yankee did catch your "tyred" pun; I'd possibly have missed it if you were using OUR version of the spelling!

Thanks for providing us with what is my favorite series available here at TS/BC! I've just begun re-reading it. Like love, this series is better the second time around! ;-)

P.S. It is now the summer of 2015; and one recent movie, Mad Max: Fury Road features a character named "The Splendid Angharad", a pregnant woman and one of five "breeder wives" of the main bad guy known as "Immortan (sic) Joe" whom our hero, Max Rockatansky, is helping the women flee.

Jenny

Pure Coincidence

Angharad's picture

The name chosen for my character was done for the comic scene on the play of what/Watt. I had no idea there was a real cycle racer with the same name, especially such a litigious one!

Angharad.

Angharad

Cathy is a wonderful

Cathy is a wonderful caracter in this story. She shows true fluster as she steadily gains her way into true womanhood. I seriously doubt that she will go back to her male persona any time soon. She has discovered herself. Janice

Yep

She has it bad I would say.

You know where this is eventually leading, don't you?

The shopping spree for cloths.