The Crossroads: A Wyld Universe story- Part 11

Printer-friendly version

If you came across a fork in the road, which path would you choose?


3360-320x273-redslide12.jpg
The Crossroads: A Wyld Universe Story
Part 11- by Aoife M

I woke up to a chillier than usual morning- doesn’t help the nerves when alone in such a dark, foreboding place. Still, after all I felt, it wasn’t uneasiness I was currently feeling. No, after facing all the things I kept hidden deep inside of me, I felt surprising different. I felt relieved. No longer was I afraid of my past, and I no longer blamed myself for the mistakes that occurred back then. We were all in the wrong place at the wrong time.

All of this was the fault of one man...if you can call it that. Mabus. He’s the one that manipulated Jackson to hate me. He’s the one that made him into a killer. I knew the real Jackson. He was loving, caring, and yes, a little goofy. I truly believed that even if he found out about my former life, that I was once a man and Miriam’s partner- that we could have worked through it. Even Miriam, who realized my feelings for him, and realized that no matter how much she tried she couldn’t love a woman, gave me her blessing.

All in all my goals had changed. I now knew why I couldn’t fight Jackson- I loved him, and now I could see it was the right call. I wasn’t going to just stop him- I was going to save him. And I knew exactly where he was going to go. My “guide” planted the information inside my head, prior to waking up:

Jackson…heading…to Toledo…help…friends…stop Mabus.

I could feel the pain resonating from its words, as if someone harmed it in some way. Finally up and alert, I searched around, finding any remnants of Mythos. Instead I came across something surprising. It was a young girl with blonde locks, completely naked from head to toe, lying motionless on the dirt floor below. Concerned I ran over to her. Putting my hand on her face I was relieved that she was still warm, proving to me she still was alive. Could this be that Mythos? I didn’t know, but either way, I wasn’t going to leave her here. I picked her up gingerly and headed back to my car. Laying her down on the back seat I wrapped a blanket around her. Hopefully I’ll have time to get her medical attention before the battle begins.


Driving in fast speeds I began to reexamine everything I was, everything I am, and everything I wanted to be. The person I was 10 years ago was entirely different than the person I was now. For all the awkward feelings I felt from reliving it, the only thing that truly stood out was I was happy. By accepting my femininity I was able to find happiness within myself, and with another. And there was nothing to be ashamed of with being with a guy; I was a girl, and even though I fought against it for so long I knew, I found them attractive. By repressing all that I was, I was effectively torturing myself, and in turn Mabus used that against me. If I was going to save Jackson I had to finally admit to myself- Scott Ryan was dead. These few hours I had was all the time I got to reconstruct my life, and start chipping away at the walls that restrained my true womanly nature.

It wasn’t long before I saw Toledo’s skyline in the distance. It didn’t seem like anything happened yet, which was a relief. I briefly looked over to the peacefully resting woman in my back seat.

“Don’t worry; we’ll get you some help.” I softly assured her.


There I was, City Hall. Seeing me jumping out of my car brought such alertness on Ian’s security personnel. They weren’t about to let me anywhere near him again. But I had to let him know war was coming.

Steeling myself I raced up the stairs, dodging the oncoming bullets, and quickly burst through the front doors. Conveniently there was Ian, walking down the stairs, with his bodyguards in tow. Seeing the ruckus he quickly recognized me and his bodyguards shielded him. But I was in no mood to fight.

“Please,” I pleaded, gasping for a few breaths of air. “Don’t shoot. I’m not armed.”

“Jesus,” Ian replied. “Why the hell would you make such an entrance like that?”

“It was your guards who were shooting at me!” I retorted. Sudden I was greeted by two guards who quickly grabbed my arms, preventing me from moving any farther.

“Damnit!” I yelled, trying as I might to free myself from the two men’s grip. “Let me go!”

“Sorry,” Ian told me rather painfully. “I just can’t take any chances after last time.”

“Wait!” I yelled as I was slowly being dragged away, “The Confederates are planning to attack!”

That woke him up. “Hold on,” he dictated as his guards stopped dead on their tracks. I used the opportunity to further explain.

“It’s going to be a full scale military operation. General Jackson Briggs…he’s heading the mission personally.”

Ian came face to face with me and looked me in the eyes. “And how do you know this?”

“I…” I began to think of a plausible explanation. Stating that someone sent it through my head wasn’t going to cut it. Then I remembered the girl. “I think I have someone with me that can help prove me right. She’s resting inside the back seat of my car. I think she might need medical attention.”

Ian gave his guards the nod and together they made their way to my vehicle dragging me in tow. When they finally opened the door I was shocked to find that the girl was gone. There wasn’t any evidence she was there at all.

“I swear,” I pleaded. “I swear she was in there!”

“You’re just not feeling well,” Ian tried to say in a comforting tone. It didn’t make me feel any better, seeing he didn’t believe me. “You’re really beginning to worry me. You need to sit back, relax, and get better.”

“No,” I replied. “What I need is for you to understand me! I’m serious!”

He didn’t wanna hear anymore as he left the rest up to his guards. He began to turn back to his quarters when suddenly I got the proof I need.

It was a jet flying overhead, dropping a payload of explosives near the general vicinity. Quickly the guards took their president and headed for cover, finally releasing me. Together we headed for the basement of the City Hall building. Now that he knew I was telling the truth, all focus was towards stopping the latest threat at hand.

Trish and Sienna arrived shortly after, both surprised at my sudden reappearance. We didn’t have much time for explanations however. With Silverwisp forming up a strategy we were already playing from behind. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Confederates had already dug themselves inside the city, making this even worse.

With all his military leaders in attendance I was relegated to the background. Based on all the information I gave them it was eventually confirmed that indeed Jackson Wells was leading his men in this battle. That gave them all the brilliant idea that if they cut off the head, the rest would follow. Kill Jackson, and his men would lose their morale. After all, his name is known throughout the land.

But it didn’t sit well with me. They didn’t know him like I did. They were treating him like bug just waiting to be stamped out. This was the man I loved! I made a vow that I would save him, save him from that evil that had influenced him so. The real enemy was Mabus, and I refused to see my lover become another senseless casualty.

I snuck out of the meeting, with a couple guns in tow. I thought I was in the clear, but apparently my “sisters” knew me all too well. Both Sienna and Trish saw me leave and caught up just in time to approach me.

“Where are you going?” Trish asked.

“This isn’t right,” I told her straight up. “To just straight up murder someone they don’t even know.”

“What do you mean, by don’t know?” Sienna asked, dumbfounded by my statement. “The guy has murders thousands upon thousands of Wyld! He murdered my father, my foster father, and sold me…sold US, into slavery!”

“He was my lover!” I blurted out, freezing both Trish and Sienna up like a statue.

“Look,” I said, finally calming down. “I don’t know what will happen. He might live, he might die. But this is my responsibility. I have to end this, for my sake.”

Trish broke the silence by handing me a walkie talkie. “I’ll be close by. Let me know if you need anything.”

I nodded as she walked back inside. However, Sienna didn’t budge.

“Sienna,” I called to her.

“I’m not leaving,” she defiantly replied. “I too have things that need resolved.”

I sighed. I knew I couldn’t stop her. I feared that if she came along she might just go through with her vengeance. However, if she had to face him it would be better off by my side. At least then I can watch her.

“Come on then,” I relented as I made my way through the streets of downtown. I just hope that she will be more help than burden.

I was inching closer to my destination. Somewhere I knew that Jackson was here, commanding his troops to very much end the lives of those living here, Wyld or not. The more troops I saw littered on the streets more I was certain that he wasn’t too far now. Still I had to be cautious; one misstep may cost us victory.


Seeing a motorcade heading our direction I immediately grabbed Sienna and together took cover inside an abandoned building. It was spacious, much like a warehouse or a storage facility. With very few places to hide it wouldn’t be wise to stay here long.

My walkie talkie began to speak again. “Scott,” Trish began, “have you uncovered Jackson’s whereabouts?”

“Not yet,” I responded. “I’m closing in on him though. I can just feel it.”

My attention focused on my conversation I was totally aware of what was going on behind me.

“So what are you going to do when you find him?” Sienna, in a rather resentful tone, asked me.

I was rather confused at what she was getting at. Wasn’t it obvious what I was gonna do?

“Are you gonna fuck him?” She question, leaving me in shock. “Are you gonna jump all over his pulsing cock, just like Ian?”

“Sienna, what are you talking about?” I said, seeing her anger boiling to the surface.

She finally snapped. “What’s so wrong about me!?” She screamed holding her gun directly in front of me. “Every time I get close to you you brush me aside like I wasn’t even there! Is it because I’m a woman? I thought you were once a man; that you found women attractive! To be deceived so…I would’ve taken a bullet for you!” She paused and suddenly began to let out a maniacal laugh, frightening me to death.

“…I guess instead you’ll be taking the bullet for me!” She shot me point blank at the chest, dropping me to my knees. I knew, then and there, that this wasn’t Sienna any longer, but another pawn, manipulated by Mabus to prevent me from disrupting his plans.

“S…Sienna,” I gasped. She responded by planting another bullet within my shoulder.

“You don’t deserve love!” she yelled as she backhanded me, hard enough to send me flying a short distance, landing on a stack of metal pipes and rusted chains, causing them to come down upon me.

With a few broken bones and open wounds I struggled mightily to break out from under the debris. I didn’t have time to wait to heal, as the totally insane Sienna found a container of gasoline inside this place, and was eagerly willing to light this whole building up to ensure my demise.

“If I can’t have you,” she screamed as she began to pour the gasoline towards my relative direction, “no one can!”

She took out a pack of matches from her pant pocket. If she succeeded, not even my regeneration could keep me from dying. After all my wounds, I was fighting tooth in nail just to keep from going into shock. This is it, I thought to myself. I would have thought this would be the time my life would flash before my eyes; unfortunately my mind couldn’t make up which “life” that would be.

Luckily my brain didn’t have to think hard on that one, as from behind I could see the sudden electric shock stiffen her up like a board, and suddenly she fell to ground, out cold. It was Trish, coming from literally out of nowhere to save my hide.

“Sis!” she cried as she ran over to me. Luckily at this point my wounds healed up enough that I could actually sit up and rummage out from underneath the rubble, even though my leg was still broken and dislocated.

“Hold still,” she told me as she helped heal with her nanomachines, which greatly reduced the time and energy expended. It didn’t help much however. While healed physically, mentally I was already drained. Immediately I fell into Trish’s bosom, her catching me as I collapsed.

“What happened?” She asked, obviously a little shaken that she had to taze her good friend in order to save me.

“Mabus,” I answered. “That’s his power…using emotions to manipulate people. Just like me.”

“Shit,” she gasped. “We need to get you to safety. You’re too used up to continue.”

“No!” I refused, “I have to do this. This is my fight!”

“But you’ve used too much energy!” she insisted. “You’ll pass out!”

“Trust me,” I said as I broke free from her embrace. With all my determination I will myself back on my feet. I wasn’t going to stop now. I had to save him!

“You were always a stubborn girl, you know that?” she said as she gave a smirk. She grabbed my hand and I felt a surge of energy running into me. I knew, she just expended all of her power, sending all her nanomachines into my body. It was now her turn to collapse onto the ground.

“Call it a quick pick me up,” she said to me. “It’s got electrolytes.”

“I don’t even know what those are!” I smiled as I carried my friend over to the corner.

“Neither do I!” she joked. “Just don’t go being reckless, it won’t last forever, and it’s not like your regeneration powers.” She leaned over the wall, trying to fight off the fatigue. “I’ll watch little sleepyhead here, you go get your man!” I worried that she wouldn’t be able to make it, but I nodded at her in agreement anyway, and after rearming myself, I rushed out the door and back on the trail.


After a few minutes scouting it didn’t take long for me to finally discover Jackson’s hiding place. It was Marcus’s cathedral, which was now fortified by his personal guardians. Luckily for me I knew the back way in, something they obviously hadn’t caught on to. It was a secret escape, just in case of a surprise attack like this one. Reaching the end of the underground tunnel, I pulled on the secret lever, which moved the sliding bookshelf that hid this passage, and found myself in Marcus’s chamber.

Opening the door I began to look around the hall. No one was present which surprised me. For it being heavily fortified they weren’t very cautious. You would think they would keep guard of this area, or at least patrol it on occasion. You would think that these kind of errors are a blessing, but I knew better. I just might be walking straight into a trap.

I made my way into the altar, and right there he was- Jackson. He may have aged ten years but I could recognize the same man I had loved once before. Yet his eyes weren’t anything like his former; their warmth was replaced by a gaze as cold as steel.

“What a mockery,” he said as he looked at me with utter disgust. “Monsters trying to find God. There is no salvation for the damned. Isn’t that right, Saoirse?”

Suddenly his guards came in from behind and pointed their guns at me. I was surrounded, and yet, curiously Jackson motioned them to lower their weapons.

“There’s no point in doing that,” he yelled at his men. “She’ll just shrug the gunfire off. I know. After all I did to her any normal human would’ve easily succumbed to.”
After they dropped their weapons I then saw Jackson do the unexpected. He took his gun, and fired at his guards, murdering each and every one of them.

“I just hate interruptions, don’t you?” He quipped as he put his gun back in his holster. “I knew you would come. I did all I could to ensure your safe passage here. Would be a shame if the one who finally ended your life was someone other than myself.” That explained the lax security here.

“Jackson,” I began, “I know that isn’t you who’s doing this. The real Jackson would never act in such a fashion.”

“Oh?” He questioned. “And what would the real Jackson act like? Hmmm? Would he be the loving, caring, person of 10 years ago? The flirt? The gullible, naíve, and easily manipulated, sorry sack of a man who let his sister die because of your interference? You would like that, wouldn’t you? The former foolish Jackson Wells; wrapped around you pretty little finger. Well, let me tell you, much like Miriam, that man died long ago. Just like her, you murdered him! And now I’ve come seeking retribution!”

“I was a fool, Jackson,” I admitted to him. “I gave in to my own urges. Do you know what it’s like, to change not only from human to Wyld, but male to female? Every single change I went through just left me further and further isolated. The life I had was stripped from me, and I felt alone. And that still wasn’t any excuse for my indiscretions. I should have told you. I should have let you know I was once a man. I wish I could have restrained myself further. I don’t know why I fell for you, I truly don’t. It just happened.”

“This is getting nowhere,” he stated. “I’m growing weary of this. Nothing you will say will change the outcome of this little saga.” He pulled out a small controller. “See what this is? It’s your demise. See a press this little button, and way down south a group of soldiers will see a flashing green light on their screen, giving them the exact location for them to completely obliterate this town, and everything with it.”

“You don’t mean…” I knew what he was about to do, I just didn’t want to believe it.

He gleefully pressed the button, without saying anything else. I knew, he just gave the go ahead to launch a nuclear missile, heading straight for us.

“There’s no way out, Scott Ryan!” he yelled. “I’m ready to die, and I’m going to drag you to Hell with me!”

up
82 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Almost done!

One more chapter. Been a little late posting but mostly I'm just watching myself, working with Saless trying to keep things in canon. So yeah.

Technically the final chapter is done, just waiting on her okay for it!

I cant wait !

What a chapter. Now, can Scott survive?

DogSig.png

The Crossroads: A Wyld Universe story- Part 11

Does she have some sort of Wyld power that will help? Or will that blond girl turn up to save the day?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I can't believe his kind will let Mabus get away with this

Nuking a city does no one any good, and in particular those who feed on emotions. No emotions from the dead. The hurt, the sick, the dying yes but the dead are dead. Period.

Seems nothing is left of the man.

Sad.

Hum, how stupid were his techies? Is it just a GPS locator OR is it a homing signal? In either case if she can get to it with all those nanites the other Wyld gave her could she alter the device, make it give out the wrong coordinates say maybe the missile base it's self or the Confederate capitol? Their military HQ?

Hum we have a new Wyld in Sales's latest tale, well she'd be much older now, that can phase. Does anyone nearby have that ability and could move the beacon? All depends on if the rocket and warhead's course is locked or changeable. Is there a self distruct code that can be sent?

And still the puppet believes the lies that she killed Miriam and not him? Odd he killed the guards or was this so they wouldn't stop him nuking his own troops?
So sad but as I said earlier he joined this traitor's army as it seemed a good career move.

Wow, what a humanitarian!

But then people do the stupidest things sometimes.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Could they re route the missile to nuke Mobius? He/it can't be completely invulnerable.

P.P.S. The one good thing I can see is launching/using a nuke is so utterly beyond the pale now that we know about fallout aand all that this act should galvanize the World against the Confederacy and maybe cause a civil war withing it's ranks. I mean if your own leaders are willing to nuke loyal troups what loyalty do the troups owe their comanders?

John in Wauwatosa

It's not just his kind. After

It's not just his kind. After this both humans and wilds will just bond together to wipe out all the mythos. You just can't let those creatures run around. How many people are dead because one man's madness? 100k? 1 million?
Maybe the minions won't shoot at the city because it's one of theirs. They'll just assume the enemies got control of the computer or something.

AoifeM, thank you for writing this captivating story,
Beyogi

Of course that depends on your ethics

Some may want to wipe out Mythos, some may actually want to help them, albeit a rather difficult proposition. Not everyone of them is as messed up as Mabus is.

Jackson put his troops in position to fail, purposely. He wanted Scott to show up, and killed his men just so he could get a little private time.

If you know where Mabus is, maybe they can target him. Good luck on that though. He doesn't seem to be one who gets involved directly. Rather cowardly, he is.