Her Mother's Daughter - Chapter 20

Printer-friendly version

Her Mother's Daughter - Chapter 20 - Mother/Daughter Shopping Trip

by Barbara Lynn Terry

The next morning, the sun was shining, but the temperature was like twenty degrees above zero. It was cold, so it called for warm clothes. I got out of bed, and looked through my dresser, and took out my jeans that had flowers on the back pockets, and my lingerie. I also took out a pair of knee high double knit socks. I went to my closet and got out my powder pink Angora sweater, and my insulated show boots.

I decided it was too cold for a bath, so I took a shower, and used my perfumed body wash. I didn't need to wash my hair, so I just washed all over, and then got out and dried myself. As I patted myself down, I glanced in the mirror and saw myself from head to toe. I saw what had been accomplished through the first part of the semester. I missed a lot of class time, but because I was in the hospital I was given credit for class participation. That was because if I hadn't been in the hospital, I would have been in class.

Today mom and I are going shopping, because mom wants to buy me more clothes. I will need a whole house just for my closet if mom keeps buying me clothes. Of course she is paying for my tuition, but the clothes are something else. She wants me to have more skirts and dresses, because a lady dresses like a lady, and dresses and skirts and blouses show that a woman is a lady. This whole semester has been unreal. I am passing all of my classes, but I have been in the hospital more days than I could ever have imagined. Well, this is Christmas break, and I am going to enjoy it. I have had one class after another and one hospital stay after another.

But now I am with my fiancée, mom, and a whole town of people with decent hearts. Paul came in and brought me out of my deep thoughts.

"Where were you just now, princess?"

"I was just thinking about how much has happened since I started this semester. I was just thinking about how lucky I am to have you."

"I'm the lucky one, princess. If you hadn't pledged Gamma Delta, we would still be roomies. But you went your way and I stayed my way and we fell in love. I have always loved you in a lot of ways since we were little. I loved you as a friend, I loved you as someone I could do things with, I loved you because you never complained, and I love you."

I laid my head on his chest, and just stayed there. This was my knight in shining armor, my protector, my lover, my fiancée and soon to be husband. This is what being a woman is all about; having a nice man to love and one who loves you back. But this man loves me even though he knows I can never give him children, unless we adopt. Mother came in and saw me with my head on Paul's chest.

"Well, I came in to see if my daughter was ready to go shopping, and she isn't even dressed yet. Honey, you will need warm clothes today."

"I got my clothes out, and then I started to think about what has happened this semester. Then Paul came in, and I just sort of ... didn't get dressed."

"Well Paul, would you like to come with us? Jean needs some warmer clothes for this winter and I want to get her something special too."

"Yes, Mrs. M, I would love to see Jean try on a few pairs of this and that. She looks beautiful in whatever she wears."

"Even my birthday suit, Paul?"

"Yes, princess, even in your birthday suit." I gave him a big hug, and a nice long kiss.

"Ehem. Come on Jean, we need to get going if we are going to find a parking place. I shooed Paul out while I got dressed. Mom put my hair up in a nice pony tail, and with my coat on and my purse, we left for the mall.

As we were driving through town, we could hear the Christmas music coming from the speakers on the lamp posts they had set up just for the holidays. It is a wonderful time of the year, but it is a shame too that people don't have Christmas in their hearts all year 'round. Then there are some people that don't have Christmas in their hearts even during the holidays and especially on Christmas day. Now whether Jesus was actually born on Christmas day or not, makes no difference, it is the day we celebrate His birth and the coming of the Messiah. I think people should have the spirit of Christmas all year long, and show that spirit by helping others. Like people seem to give a helping hand during the Labor day weekend when Jerry Lewis pleads via the MDA telethon to give generously whatever people can. But then after the telethon goes off the air, these same people that gave a few dollars here and there for muscular dystrophy research, all of a sudden go back to their selfish ways. I will never understand that, as long as I live.

As we started getting out of town, I turned on the radio to see if we could get a station with Christmas music on. We were able to pick up a local station that played Christmas music from different artists. There were even songs by western artists too like they played Gene Autry's Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer. and they played Brenda Lee's Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree, and Jingle Bell Rock. Paul and I were just snuggled together listening to these songs, that were made way before our time. Then I found out that Gene Autry was the original singer of Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer way back in 1949. OMG! That was like sixty one years ago. Even mom isn't that old. I giggled, and Paul and mom asked if that was a private joke or could they know too, so I told them. Mom and I giggled and Paul just kinda snickered.

"That's what I like about you, princess. You're always thinking about things like this. It's what makes you very beautiful because you use your mind, not just your looks to get where you want to go."

"Why thank you, sir knight," I said with frown. "I think."

"Those frowns make you beautiful too, my sweet princess."

Now how can a girl let that go? I kissed him on the cheek, and I looked into his eyes. I saw something there that made me love him all the more. I saw the look of a man who was serious about protecting and loving me. Come to think of it, he has been actually protecting me for the last eight years. Did he secretly love me when we were younger like I was a girl? I wonder.

"Paul, when we were younger, did you love me like I am now, or just as a friend?"

"I saw something in you that was different. When you wanted to go collect rocks by the lake, and when you wanted to go swimming but were too shy to go skinny dipping, and when you wanted to feed the birds in the park, instead of look at girls, when you wanted to watch tennis or golf instead of football, baseball, or whatever other 'guy' sports, I knew you weren't a guy. Well, I had a feeling anyway. But now, since we are at the same college, I see why you were always so shy and not interested in partial or full contact sports. Yes Jean, I guess you could say that I have loved you as a girl since we have known each other. But when you pledged Gamma Delta, and you had your surgeries to be physically female, and you wanted me for your escort for the Pledge Dance, I knew then that you were truly the girl you have always been, and then I figured you were meant for me. It is really something how fate works. But yes, princess, I have always loved you as the girl you have always been."

"And I have always loved you too, Paul," I said kissing him on his neck.

He held my head there for a few moments, and then he held my head up and looked into my eyes.

"Princess, I promise you here and now, that I will always be your protector, your lover, your friend. I will always make sure that you are properly escorted to and from events like the dances and dinners we have at the college, and even after we leave college. When we are married Jean, I will not be the kind of husband that says you cannot do this or that. We will do things together, or by ourselves. You don't have a jealous or mean bone in your body. Since we have known each other, you have taught me quite a lot. Jean McMillan, I love you."

"Paul Anderson, I love you too."

When we got to the mall just outside of town, mom found parking to be a problem. But it was okay with Paul and I, because we walked hand in hand to the upper level entrance of J.C. Penny. For winter clothes, I don't need designer jeans, or anything like that. Besides J.C. Penny did have decent clothes that were pretty even in jeans. Mom had me try on different pairs of jeans, several pairs of dress pants in different colors and fabrics. And for the tops mom had me try on shirts and blouses that were long sleeved, and not see through. Then we went over to where they had sweaters. The Angora sweater I was wearing, was very warm, and I was perspiring in J.C. Penny. After we were through getting my jeans and tops, I was the proud owner of four different pairs of jeans, all with embroidered flowers or animals, or both. I had five different shirts to go with the jeans, or my skirts, five different blouses to go with skirts, dress pants, or jeans, five different skirts and five different dress pants. the skirts were beautiful, and only one was cream with no designs. The other four were turquoise, with an embroidered deer in the center; yellow, with trees, grass, and a house; burgundy with roses on both sides; and a light rose skirt that had a forest scene all around it.

Then mom said I needed shoes. OMG! If I get any more shoes I won't have any more room in my closet for the rest of my clothes. I tried on several pair, and J.C. Penny's shoe department had really nice shoes for all occasions. I tried on heels, wedgies, mules, flats, and even sandals. Mom bought me four more pairs of shoes, and only one pair of runners. I had two pair of heels, and one pair of mules. One pair of the heels had an ankle strap that was different from my other pair.

Then, mother said we weren't finished yet. We went to Zale's Jewelry Store in the mall, and mother handed the guy behind the counter a small piece of paper. The man said he would be right back,and went in the room behind the counter. When he came back, he was carrying a jewelry box. He handed the box to mother, who smiled and told me to close my eyes. I felt a necklace being put around my neck, and earrings being put in my ears.

"Alright Jean, you can open your eyes now. Look in the mirror, honey."

I looked in the mirror and I gave a joyous yes as I saw a diamond pendant necklace, with diaomonds all around the pendant, on a silver chain, and matching earrings. The earrings had diamonds around a larger center diamond. I was in heaven. I hugged mother.

"Thank you, mother. You already had this ordered."

"Yes. My daughter needs something to wear for those special occasions, and nothing says I am a lady than jewelry. Now, where do you think we should go for brunch?"

"How about," and I dragged out the word about. "Mac's is a good place. I understand they are from Australia. We've never been in there, so let's try that."

"Alright, Mac's it is."

We took our bags out to the car, and put them in the trunk. Then we headed for MacIntyre's Famous Scottish and Australian Cuisine. They had everything from the two countries. As we went in the hostess asked us which section did we want, either Australian or Scottish. We picked the Australian side, because we were only having brunch.

She took us to our seats, and gave us our menus. The waitress came to take our orders, and all I ordered was Devonshire tea. A Devonshire tea is tea with scones, butter and jam. It is very good, and the price was good too. We took our time and talked about our shopping trip, and mother said it wasn't over yet. What else can we get? I have enough clothes to last at least two lifetimes. But then I remembered what mom had said too. She said that a girl never has enough clothes, cosmetics, or purses. I guess I have to agree. While we were in the restaurant, several of the towns people came over to thank me for organizing the caroling at Mrs. Bass' grave. They said this should be a yearly thing where we can get together at her grave and sing Christmas carols. I thanked them for their time and I said that the mayor was going to make Christmas day Mrs. Bass Day, and would present it to the town council right after the holidays. They all said they would remind him when the time came.

When we got back home, well it is home for the holidays anyway, we all sat around and talked a little about what we were going to do. We all said we had Christmas shopping to do for each other. Paul and I said we wanted to do more things together and as a family too. I mean, after all, I am going to be their daughter in law. Paul wanted to show me the album he had been making since we were kids. Of course it wasn't started by him, but he has been adding to it since I was pledged at Gamma Delta Phi. I said I wanted to see it now, but he said I had to wait until Christmas day.

Paul's father wanted to tell stories, and he wanted to know who was game, as he put it. We all said we were, and we picked drinking straws to see who would go first. Paul won, so he started.

"There was once a young girl, who was shy and liked the softer things in life. She always wanted to do things like find rocks that had very pretty designs on them. She sat on the rocks while I went skinny dipping, and she even laughed when a wave would put me under water. I didn't know it then, but she actually loved me too. Then this little girl grew up, and at first we were room mates at the university, and then she pledged the most prestigious sorority on campus. Now she is my fiancée, and soon to be my wife. Jean McMillan, I love you with every fiber of my being."

"I love you too, Paul Anderson."

"That was a very good story. A story of love and romance."

"Thank you, mom. Jean it is your turn."

"Once upon a time, there was a little girl who dreamed of pledging her mother's house on the university campus. But because she was different physically, she didn't have a chance, so she was always sad, until one day her fairy godmother came and sat next to her. She promised the little girl that she would be able to pledge her mother's house whatever it may take. The little girl went to the sorority's open house, and was pledged as a sister. Since then her physical difference has been corrected and she is now a respected sister of the Gamma Delta Phi sorority where her mother was a sister and past chapter president. Now she is engaged to be married to a handsome knight whose armor has never been tarnished. I love you Paul Anderson."

"I love you too, Jean McMillan."

"Well, I must say. You two are really in love." She looked at Paul's father. "It's your turn, dear."

"There were two young people who never had any doubts about whether they were friends or not. One of these young people went through quite a life, and emerged a beautiful butterfly. The other young person decided that this beautiful butterfly was just the girl for him. They have had a wonderful life together, and they lived happily ever after."

"These stories are really great. Does anyone have another one?"

"I do, Mr. Anderson," I said thinking of Mrs. Bass. "There once was a woman who came to this town looking for a new life. She found that new life in all the people around her and in her wonderful job as a school teacher. Some say she was very firm, others say she was the best, but whatever they thought about this woman, they all loved her. As she got older, and she no longer taught the children in school, the people of the town made sure she wanted for nothing. Young people would help her get things from the store, if she couldn't get out. This wonderful lady passed away, but is not forgotten. We all love you Mrs. Andrea Bass."

"That was a great story, Jean. A wonderful tribute to one of this town's first settlers. You know Mrs. Bass was wasn't that old, but she had accomplished quite a lot living here. She is well loved."

"Thank you. Mr. Anderson."

We all decided to sing Christmas carols, and then call it a night. This is a very nice vacation. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

The next morning, Paul woke me up with a soft kiss on my forehead.

"Good morning, sunshine. It is almost nine thirty, and you have been sleeping for almost ten hours."

Ten hours! OMG! I have never slept more than eight hours, if that long. Yesterday must have really tired me out. I yawned, and went to run my bath. I put in a cap full of my lavender bubble bath, and went to get my under things. I got out my sexiest lingerie. The panties were high cut and and almost sheer with lots and lots of lace, the bra was a small, matching demi bra, and a ankle length, matching half slip. I went back in the bathroom and brushed my teeth, and then got in the tub. I just sat there sponging water all over me, and just thinking about this vacation with my fiancá¨e and his family. Even mom was here too, and we didn't live that far away, just down the road.

But we had all decided to have Christmas in one place this year. Mom was doing really well selling houses, and had told me she sold two just before school had let out for Christmas break. A knock on the door from mother wanted to know if I was alone. I giggled and said yes. She came in and used the toilet, and then washed her hands. She put the lid down, and sat there and talked to me.

"Jean, how did you like the Christmas Carols we sang at Mrs. Bass' grave, last night?"

"I thought it was the best we could do to remember her by. She was very sweet, always gave me milk and a couple of cookies when I went to the store for her."

"Well, I asked that because there was something she had left behind. In her will she directed that it be given to you. So, on Christmas morning, you will get a Christmas present from Mrs. Bass."

That did it. The tears just flowed. This sweet old lady had given me something in her will.

"Why wasn't I at the reading of the will then?"

"Because in her will, she directed that it was a surprise and to be given to you on the Christmas morning following her death. I didn't know anything about this until Paul's mother had told me. So I just wanted to tell you that Mrs. Bass had given you a Christmas present also."

I finished washing up, and got out of the tub and patted myself dry. I wrapped the towel around me, and went in my bedroom to get dressed.

"When you're dressed dear, come in the kitchen. I'll make you some breakfast, and we can talk a little more."

She left me to get dressed, and I was thinking about Mrs. Bass. Mrs. Andrea Bass was ninety years old and finally went to teach the souls in Heaven. I still felt I should have been at her funeral, but maybe singing carols at her grave made up for that. As I washed, I remember the first time she asked me to go and get her a few under things. She gave me the list and the money, and I left for the store.

"Jean, here is a list of some under things I need. Will you get them for me?"

"Yes, Mrs. Bass."

"You won't be embarrassed?"

"No, ma'am."

"Good."

I went to the department store, and I gave the list to the lady, and she got everything when I told her they were for Mrs. Bass.

"Mrs. Bass was my grandfather's teacher. She was new here, and she had a college education, so they hired her as the school marm, as my grandfather called her. He said she was fair but firm, and never let the boys get away with anything in her classroom."

She was well past seventy when I made that shopping trip. The sales lady then asked me another question.

"Is there something I can get for you?"

"Like what, for instance?"

"Well, most boys sweat bullets when they come in here, but you seem very relaxed, like you are in your element."

"I just need Mrs. Bass' things." She gave me the bag with the store's logo on it, and I left, looking at all the dresses, skirts and tops on the way out. I could see from the side of my eye that the sales lady was watching me, and she had a smile on her face."

Those were the days that I had had a lot of fun.

I finished dressing, and went down to the kitchen. Mom was making me scrambled eggs, two turkey breakfast sausages, one slice of multi-grain toast, orange juice and milk.

"You know, sweetie, you make a wonderful woman, because it takes you forever to get dressed."

We both giggled, then I told her what I had been thinking of.

"Well sweetie, you did a lot of errands for her, and I remember Paul going with you several times too. You two were meant to be husband and wife longer than you know."

"He has always been sweet to me. I mean, he never complained about the things I wanted to do, and he kinda knew something was up when I wouldn't go skinny dipping with him at the cove. I guess you're right, mom. We were meant to be together as husband wife a long time ago. I mean, Paul has always been there for me, and I was always there for him."

"Did I hear my name mentioned?"

"Paul"! I screeched and got up to give a hug and a kiss.

"Ehem, young lady. Finish your breakfast. Paul, what would you like to have?"

"I'm not really hungry after that good morning kiss." Mom and I giggled. "I would like what Jean is having."

"A wise choice. Please leave the tip under the plate, and thank you for dining at Jeannette's diner."

Mom was in good spirits today, and she was making breakfast for everyone. It wasn't long before Paul's parents were down, and Paul's mother wanted to take over making the breakfast, but mom shushed her and said she was doing fine. Shelley came in, and sat down. Her hair was immaculate, her clothes were the kind you would wear to go anywhere in, and she had a smile.

"Good morning mom and dad," The looked at each other as if to say, 'who are you?' and she even gave Paul and I hugs. Paul's eyes got really wide, and he looked at me with his mouth agape. Paul mouthed to me, 'what is with her?' I just shrugged my shoulders. I didn't know Shelley well, I had just met her yesterday.

"What would you like, Shelley?" Mom had offered.

"Oh, what everyone else is having. Thank you."

Paul was taking a sip of his milk, and almost spit it out when Shelley had said thank you.

"Uhm, sis? Let me ask you a question. What is with you, all of a sudden? You have been almost human like since yesterday."

Almost??? Human like. Well, dear brother of mine, I am going to be this way forever. I am going to lose this weight, and I am going to be very nice to get along with. I don't mean sickenly nice, but nice like everybody else. It is time I started taking better care of myself.

"The reason I let myself go like this, is because I thought nobody cared about me. Then you show up with this woman who immediately began showing me respect. She said she was going to help me lose this weight, and have more respect for myself. Something nobody else has done for me. So, thank you Jean. We're going to get along just fine."

"Shelley, all you need is a push in the right direction. If you ever need to talk to me when I'm at school, you can call me on my cell. I will come over on weekends, and we can go shopping, or just hang out together. Girls need each other for support, and I will help you in any way I can with that support." I wrote down my cell phone number for her, and she put it in her back jeans pocket. "When I said I wanted to join Gamma Delta Phi, I had a lot of support. When I said I needed to be physically female, I had a lot of support. When I was in the hospital, I had a lot of support. So, I can't do anything less. After breakfast, let's talk a little. I have a plan for you, how you can lose that weight and keep it off."

"I would like that, Jean, thank you."

"You are very welcome, but like I said, we girls need to stick together. We need each other for support, and besides, lose a few pounds, and the right clothes and you will be a pretty girl."

"You really think I can be pretty?"

"Yes, Shelley, I do." We hugged each other, and her tears just flowed like a raging river. "Come Shelley, let's get your face cleaned up."

We went to the upstairs bathroom, so we could talk a little more, and get that raccoon makeup off of her face. After she washed her face after removing the makeup, she started to put more makeup on.

"Shelley, I'm going to make sure, that if I can't come here, I will have my mom or Paul bring you to me, and we can do the same thing we would here. The college is on the other side of town, but we all shop at the same mall. You are pretty now, but you could be much prettier with weight loss and the right clothes. You know what kind of makeup to use and how to put it on. The only thing you need is confidence."

"Do you think I can find the right guy? I mean, I haven't exactly been eye candy."

"But we can get you to be eye candy, if that is what you want. All you need to do is exercise a little each day, don't eat too much, and make sure when you do eat, you only take small portions. Sitting in front of the tv isn't a good thing either. I mean, pick your favorite programs, but make sure that you only watch tv like maybe three of four hours a day. That is enough for four one hour programs, maybe two movies, or seven thirty minute programs. That is a lot of television. When I am at the sorority house, we do things that keep us from becoming couch potatoes. We are constantly having one dance or event after the other at the college. If it is a college event, we include it as a sorority event because we are an on campus house. As a sister, I can invite as many girl friends as I want, but I only invite one guy; Paul.

"So yes, I think you can be eye candy, and with weight loss and the right clothes, who knows, you may even pick up a college guy. There are very decent studs on campus that don't think they're all that. So we will get you down to the one hundred and twenty pounds you weighed before you started not caring. Deal?"

"Deal," she said giving me a hug. "It is good to have someone who cares."

"That is what sister-in-laws are for. Come on, let's go back downstairs."

We went downstairs to the kitchen, and both mom's had the kitchen already cleaned up. Shelley and I talked a little more about doing a few things, and Mrs. Anderson wanted to do more shopping at the mall. I told Shelley that that was a good idea, and we all got our coats and purses, and Paul got his coat from the front hallway.

We left in both cars, since there were too many for just one. When we got to the mall, there were no parking spaces next to each other, so Mrs. Anderson had to park a ways away from us. The mall was busy though, and the stores were so crowded, you almost had to tie a rope to each other just so we wouldn't lose someone. The first store we went in to was a men's store that sold only the best men's fashions in town. Mrs. Anderson was looking for something for Mr. Anderson and Paul. I took Paul with me and Shelley, and we went to the store next door.

They had men's fashions as well as women's clothes. While Paul looked through the men's part, I took Shelley over to the plus sizes. I was showing her what would look very pretty on her, when she saw a dress that she thought was made just for her.

"Oh Jean! Look at this! Isn't it the prettiest thing?"

"Yes, Shelley, it is very pretty." I really didn't like the dress personally, but if it made Shelley happy, then I was going support her. That is the first step in helping someone get the confidence they need to be themselves. "Go and try it on."

She went in the changing booth, and when she came out, she was just beaming. She did a twirl for me, so I could see the dress from all sides.

"That is very pretty, Shelley. You know, there is a dance coming up at the college, and I can invite you to be my guest. Paul is my date and chaperone, so he isn't considered a guest. Besides he goes to the college, and the dance is open to all students and their guests. Would you like to be my guest at our next dance?"

"Yes, I would. When is the dance?"

"St. Valentine's Day, at seven in the evening."

"That sounds like a nice day to find true love. But, not for me, because I look like a hippo."

"Ok Miss Gloomy Gus, that is enough of that negative attitude. You will be surprised at how many college girls are not what some guys would call eye candy. But they have beaus. Let me say that if it is meant to be, you will find someone there that will like you for you. There are some guys at the college that don't care what a girl's body looks like, all they care about is the person. When you come to the dance, you will see what I mean. Now, are you going to buy the dress?"

"Yes, thank you, Jean."

We take an oath to be ladies all the time, no matter where we are, or who we are with. Our oath also says that we will be above all things petty and to help others in need, if we can. The rest of it is just the standard no going in to a men's dorm unchaperoned, not going to to any events, or movies, or other places without a chaperone, and we are not to engage in wanton sex that will bring shame on the Gamma Delta Phi sisters or our organization. We take this oath because we care about who we are and what we can do to help make the world a better place.

So when Shelley started getting down on herself, I had to think of something to give her confidence enough to accept my invitation. Everybody says I think fast, and I guess I do, but when someone is upset with themselves because they don't see themselves as pretty, then I have to think fast to give them something to shoot for. The St. Valentine's Day dance is two months away, and I have a lot of work to do to get Shelley ready. We have two weeks here for Christmas break, and I am hoping we can do a lot to start getting her ready.

I told Shelley I needed to look for a present for her, and would she like to stay and look at more dresses.

"I'd love to, but you mean, you're getting me a present! Thank you, Jean."

"Sister there is no thanks needed. This is the Christmas season, and we are going to be related by marriage soon, so why not act like sisters."

"I see. So, this isn't just something you're doing because of Christmas but for Christmas."

"Yes. Shelley, you need just a swift kick in the panties, but let me tell you right now. These things I am doing or going to do for you, is because I want to do them. This isn't because I have pity, or I think you're repulsive, but I am doing all of this because you need just a tad bit of confidence to be able to live. So no more why are you doing this, Jean, and no more do you think I can from you you Shelley, because if I didn't think you could make it, I wouldn't even try. I would still be your friend, but I wouldn't try to help you lose that weight.

"The weight you have is because you let yourself go, and all you have to do is follow directions. Will you do that for yourself?"

"Yes, Jean, and again, thank you."

"Oh, come here." I gave her a hug and told her that we were sisters, not just sister-in-laws, but sisters, and we need to support each other. I told her I would support her if she would support herself.

"But, what about supporting you? I mean, you need support too."

"You can support me by being my friend, my sister, my confidant, and having the confidence in yourself to be the best person you can be. But, it is going to take time. You can gain weight fast, but it takes a while to take it off. May I tell you something without you getting angry?"

"Yes."

"Paul told me about you, and your attitude towards most things and most people. Why was that?"

"Because I didn't think anybody cared about me. So I let myself go and got the attitude that if nobody respected me why should I respect them."

"Well, what do you think now?"

"I'm going to love having you for a sister-in-law, because you really care about people, even the people you just met."

"Shelley, I have known Paul and your parents since I was little. You know that. I never really got to know you because I was always with Paul. Besides, you seemed to have other interests, and you weren't concerned about two boys hanging out together."

"I can see now, that I should have looked a little more closely. You are very pretty, Jean, even without makeup and a dress. It takes a special kind of girl to be able to wear her clothes well, and be able to still be pretty."

"You can be just as pretty, Shelley. All you need to do is shed the pounds, and take better care of yourself. Join an aerobics class, jog a little, limit what you eat to small portions and lay off the sweets and the chips. It is alright to have a candy bar now and then, and maybe a few chips or unbuttered and unsalted popcorn, but don't eat those things just to be eating. If you want to have your figure back, then you need to sacrifice a few things."

"I guess you're right, Jean. I have been making a glutton and a fool of myself. I have one question though. Why didn't my mom ever tell me this?"

"I guess because she thought that it was your responsibility to go to her. See Shelley, mother's don't like to interfere unless it is absolutely necessary. She may have thought this wasn't a necessary thing for her to interfere with. But we are going to be in laws, and I am going to help you get back what figure you had. Understand, girlfriend?"

"Yes, I understand. Like I said, I am going to love having you for a sis-in-law."

I took my things to the counter and paid for them, after shooing Shelley out to mall proper. After the lady had wrapped them, I went out by Shelley who was sitting on a bench crying."

"Hey, why the tears?"

"Because for the first time in my life, someone actually made me sit up and look at myself. I didn't think it got this bad, until you told me what Paul had said to you. Then I figured, if my family had those ideas about me, what were others thinking."

"Come on, wipe those tears, and let's get going. The others are probably through already. What do you think, Paul."

"Who, me?"

"Yes, you. You have been very silent throughout this whole thing. Now tell us what you think."

"I think this is a start Shel. It took you a while to gain this weight, and develop the attitude that goes with it. It is going to take time to lose the weight, and the attitude."

"Thanks little brother," Shelley said giving him a kiss on the cheek and a hug.

"Now wait, Shel, if you're going to start being nice to me, it would just be too much for this heart of mine to take." Shelley and I giggled, and Paul just stood there looking lost, as usual.

When we got down to the food court, the others were there, just getting in line to get our food. I walked over to mom to let her know we were there, and that everything was alright between Shelley, Paul and I.

After both moms had gotten the food, and I helped them with the drinks, we sat down to talk about our shopping trip.

Mom had gotten herself a really nice dress and promised to show it to me, when we got back to Paul's house. Mrs. Anderson had bought Mr. Anderson a really nice shaving kit, that had not only an electric razor, but a straight razor too, a large brush for brushing away the hair from the side burns, and it also had a lovely smelling after shave. She wouldn't tell us what she got Paul, because he was sitting right here with us. We told Mrs. Anderson about the talk Shelley and I had had and that everything seemed to be alright, now that someone is going to help Shelley lose the weight she had gained.

Of course, mom wouldn't tell me what she got for me, but I was curious anyway. I mean, what else could she get me that I haven't already wanted and gotten as an early Christmas present? Mom has been there for me since the start of the school year. She has supported me in ways I never thought she would. Even though she said she did not agree with me, she stood by me, and even paid for my entire srs. Then I started to cry, and everybody wanted to know what was wrong.

"It's this whole thing. Everybody has been so supportive and so friendly, I'm just overwhelmed. I mean, this all started with mother telling me about Gamma Delta Phi and my wanting to pledge her house ever since. I have always wanted to be physically female, and get good grades to be a very good therapist when I graduate from college. All but the last, I have accomplished. I remember when Paul proposed to me on the dance floor at the Sarah M. McKinley Arena, and what the emcee had said as well. 'May they succeed in everything they set out to do'. It just overwhelms me that I have accomplished everything so far, and having my childhood friend as my fiancé. These were all just dreams until Kendra talked to me that first day. Even that seems like years ago. I have made so many friends here and at the college, and I am grateful for that. I have a wonderful mother who loves me and supports me, and I am now female, and engaged. Except for graduating from college and getting married, what else could a girl ask for?"

"It will be alright, sweetie," mom said, putting a comforting arm around my shoulders. "Honey, it is like I had told you, you have been more girl than boy more than even you know. I saw it in the way you did things, and I just put it down to being one of your quirks. But when I had heard you wanted to pledge Gamma Delta, I was like 'oh no, not my son'. But then everything you did that I saw as feminine came back to me, and I figured alright, if this is what my child wants, I am going to play the devil's advocate. When we talked during the open house, I had to be sure this is what you wanted, because there is no turning back, once this has been done." She rubbed her nose against mine, and said, looking into my eyes, "I am very happy for you, and I know that come St. Valentine's Day, you are going to be happier. But shouldn't you both wait until you graduate from college to get married?"

"Well, we did talk about that, and we decided that the first St. Valentine's Day after we graduate, we are getting married. I think we should concentrate on our studies, and get the grades we need. Besides, I want to be a therapist, and if I go for psychotherapist, all I really need is a degree in sociology and psychology. A psychotherapist basically is a psychiatric social worker, but they have more patience than a normal social worker. That is what makes them great therapists. Besides, isn't psychotherapist an oxymoron? I mean, how can you be psycho and a therapist?" We all had a good laugh about that, and besides I just couldn't resist the temptation.

"I think everything will work out. When Jean needs to go out, or we want to go to a movie, I will just call on her at Gamma Delta. What I like about Jean, is she is always willing to let others do things first. She never seems in a hurry."

"That's because she never was in a hurry, Paul. She waited and waited until you two were in college to tell you that she loved you. If it weren't for Kendra starting everything moving to get Jean in to Gamma Delta, I don't think things would have gotten as far as they did. But you two have been an item ever since you knew each other."

"I know, Mrs. McMillan. It never occurred to me to ask Jean why she always had to be the girl in the games we played. But I guess one of us had to, to make the game work. I mean, we never thought about doing anything sexual, but there had to be a boy and a girl, to make the game work."

"I have always liked you Paul. You were always so polite and had the manners you seldom see in young people today. I also knew my Jean had a good friend too. Well, should we shop a little more, or go home with what we have?"

"Well, it is getting late. I think we should go home, mom."

We took our purchases out to the car, and put everything in the trunk. After we were buckled in, we headed for home.

up
100 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Her Mother's Daughter - Chapter 20

Love seeing her helping Paul's sister.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Her Mothers Daughter

Gene Autry was also the person who wrote the song beside the first one to sing
it too! Good story too, keep up the good work!

Richard

please

please continue this story i live it so much