Images 39

Printer-friendly version

Images 39

Chapter 39

I move carefully and let Ingrid sleep there on the sofa and I slip across the hall to the bedroom and Taylor follows me over. Giselle looks at me with those big blue eyes of hers and pulls her fist out of her mouth and smiles at me. Once I’m in the bedroom I sit down on the floor and beckon her over with my finger and she smiles again and does this little squat down and up bobbing thing of just happy kid and goes. “Heee” and she start wobble walking to me and she comes right over and she hugs me.

She has no idea of who I am and she is just hugging me because well she’s two and that’s what little kids do…right?

I had no idea of just how much of an impact that her little arms squeezing me would have on my heart. They say the first time that you get to hold your child in your arms changes you forever.

It does even like this it does.

I can’t help it. I mean I try not to cry but she’s real and she’s mine and at the same time I lost so much time with her….and I’m torn between being happy and curling into a ball right now and bawling through the shock.

I’m smiling because she’s beautiful and I’m crying because she’s just here…

Then she’s looking at me and her face goes this sort of serious sort of thing and she’s touching my face, looking at me this way and that and there’s that smile.

I am so having this John Cusack moment like in Gross Point Blank where he’s staring at the baby and the baby is staring back. I’m almost afraid to admit how much she looks like me.

“Heee…Mum.” And she hugs me again and she snuggles close.

God she…did she just?

I’ll admit I love kids, I just do. And to be truthful I thought that really was part of me being the woman I am inside and it was supposed to be like that right? Love them but never have them…one more part of the TG-Impossible dream thing.

But to have my baby girl here…and that innocent…real hug…that love.

I really tentatively put my arms around her and hug her back and I swear she tries a little harder to hug me and plants her face into my torso and…

Something from that just takes all the hurt from today and makes it better.

It didn’t go away.
But she made it better.

“Y..yeah…I’m your Mum.”

She looks up at me with this hopeful look that a two year old shouldn’t have…

God dammit Ingrid what have you already done to this girl?

“Primis?”

………………………….?

Oh…

“Promise.”

I get hug tackled and I hold her and pick her up after a bit and carry her to my bed and I crawl into bed with her. There is nothing like a little girl that wants to snuggle close. I wrap my arms around her gently and she lets out this tiny heartbreaking little sigh.

Falling asleep with my child in my arms is like nothing I can even explain.

It’s like from the Velveteen rabbit….

*"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."
"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.
"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."*

Yeah…

(Sniffle.)

Another part from another book just kind of bubbles up out of me… Robert Munsch wrote it…

“I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.”

I mean it Giselle…I haven’t been there before this and I have no idea what I’m doing but I promise you that…

“I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.”

up
188 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ingrid

how much time does she have left. maybe she can teach her how to love their child before the end.
great chapter, thanks

its been awhile

and so many stories, but did Jenna have her ops while her husband was in the hosiptal too, or am I mixing something up?

Nope she hasn't had her Operation yet.

She'll be getting that done in Quebec as part of her legal settlement for what had happened with her Mother getting custody under false pretenses.
*Hugs and Howls.*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Images

A short chapter, but an emotional one. *reaching for tissues*

And one of my favorite parts of the Velveteen Rabbit...

*hugs*
Lees

There's a strong parallel between that story and being TG.

Sometimes it takes that kind of love to make one real.
I know it was short but I wanted to cap off that emotional place for this chapter/place in Jenna's life before moving onto the rest.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

I know it was short but the feelings were just so there;)

I really thing it's true. So much power in Velveteen Rabbit and I'll Love You forever both and they so fit the entire feeling of Jenna's moment right now.
*Great Big Angel Hugs*
Bailey...A Proud Big Brother.

Bailey Summers

ow...

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I’ll admit I love kids, I just do. And to be truthful I thought that really was part of me being the woman I am inside and it was supposed to be like that right? Love them but never have them…one more part of the TG-Impossible dream thing.

Nor do you need the necessary reproductive biology to hear the deafening ticking of your biological clock. My brain melts and words like "cute" and "adorable" and "sweet" just seem to flow out when I'm around small children. *sigh* This chapter was just so... ow.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Thanks Jemima, I was worried about length vs mood.

With this and I really hope that this hit the right tones. I kind of wanted to get that Mum thing's not just biology but a condition of the soul too.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Pacing

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

You made me sob my heart out in 719 words Bailey, so yeah, you got the balance right. I think if you'd gone longer it would lose its impact. You kept it all about Jenna and her daughter and kept a tight focus to it. I want to know what Tay and Jenna's dad think about all this but this chapter wasn't the time for it. It worked beautifully.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

That's such a huge compliment, thank you so much:)

I'll definitely have to work on the next chapter soon then:) I might have to write some POV stuff for it even.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

tears, joyful tears

thank you for them..
moon

So much more than welcome Moon:)

I teared up writing this too.
*Great Big Angel Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

I'm glad the sweet little

I'm glad the sweet little girl knows Jenna is her mom too, my heart goes out to Jenna, Ingrid did a real number on her, I hope Jenna can help some way, I Ingrid can be saved then maybe something can be sorted so they can all live together. If not then at least Ingrid will know their baby will be well cared for and loved.

Looking forward to more

Big hugs

Lizzie :-)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Sometimes at that age kids can just sum you up...

Sometimes better than we ever do ourselves. Jenna's going to try her hardest to do what's going to be the best for Giselle.
*Great Big Angel Hugs*
Bailey
The Godfather;)

Bailey Summers

Sniff... and not because I have cold at the moment :-)

Very nice story. And thanks a lot for "Velvetine Rabbit" reference. Otherwise I would have missed it.
Thanks again!

WBR
Racer. (Extremely manic as I currently live less than a half mile from the office :-) )

I Loved the Velveteen Rabbit:)

Sweet and tear worthy stuff every time but holds so meaning for this community too:)
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

I wish

that the Kudo Button worked more than once ...

T

Thank You Tarzana:)

It's very appreciated:)
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers