Pink? Why Pink? - Part 15

Printer-friendly version
'Do you believe I completely forgot about that?'
'Yep. You can be such an air head sometimes.'

  

Pink? Why Pink?
Part 15
 ©2012 - Andrea Ribeiro

  

It was nice to finally be able to see Sue face to face, even though it was in shades of pink. At least she doesn't look like a pink plastic doll as her looks were almost human in a overly pinkish way.

"How are you feeling?" I asked her while we walked to the nursing home.

"This is amazing. I feel like I actually have a body. One that I can control anyway. It has been so long since I felt like this. I thought that if what you were planning worked it would feel more like controlling the construct remotely. This on the other hand is amazing."

"I didn't know what to expect either. I just hope I can hold your body active for long enough."

"You know, I think that what you did to be something almost unbelievable." Dad said.

"Why almost?" I asked him.

"Because I am seeing it with my own two eyes, and I'm still having trouble believing. Your powers are more flexible than I could imagine."

"Thanks dad. I know just kinda realized that, but I still think that the price I paid for them was a bit stiff."

"I know. It was a shock for me too. I'm sorry for the way I reacted the first time I saw you during your change. It was quite a shock and I am ashamed of what I said."

"Don't worry about it, dad. I don't know if I would have acted differently if I were in your shoes."

"Thanks Mel."

"Oh, I was almost forgetting. What is your mom's name?"

"Oh, I had completely forgotten about that. Her name is Gertrude Wright."

"Wait, are you saying that your name is Mary Sue Wright?" Dad asked her.

"Yes, that was my name."

"I heard about you from my parents. My mom said she used to live next door to your mother's home and she used to baby sit you when you were little. She was devastated when you were killed. She used you as an example of how mutants are also human while we were growing up, trying to teach us acceptance of those that are different from us. She was devastated when you were killed just because you turned out to be a mutant."

"What is your mom's name?" Sue asked.

"Madeleine Ann Romsey, but at the time her last name was Hart."

"Maddie? Maddie is your mom? I just loved her."

"She always said you were for her the little sister she never had."

"Oh gosh, I so want to talk to her." Sue said excitedly.

"We will do that some other time, but now we are here." I said as we neared the front door. "I think it would be better if I went first and talked to her a little bit. We don't want to give the poor woman a heart attack, do we?"
"But I want to see her so badly." Sue whined a little.

"I think Mel is right, Sue. We don't want to shock the poor woman too much. I'll keep you company, okay?"

"Okay." She said with a pout. "How am I going to know when I can go see her?" She asked.

"Hmm... let me try something."

'Sue? Can you hear me?'

'Sure can. Do you believe I completely forgot about that?'

'Yep. You can be such an air head sometimes.'

'Just sometimes? I am a spirit, remember? There is nothing between my ears but air. Wait I don't actually have ears, or a head.'

We giggled at that and it made dad give us a strange look.

"What are you two laughing about?"

"Sorry dad. See just made a joke."

"I didn't hear anything" Dad said looking confused.

"We were talking mentally." Sue said.

"Oh." It was all he said with a funny look on his face and that made us giggle even more.

Yeah, yeah. I'm giggling, so what?

  

###

  

We got inside and went to the reception where a middle aged woman greeted us.

"Good afternoon. How can I help you?" She said brightly.

"We are here to see Mrs Gertrude Wright." I told her.

"Mrs Wright? I don't she she ever had any visitors." She said sadly. "Are you relatives? I though she didn't have any left."

"That's a complicated question." I told her.

"How is that complicated? Either you are or you aren't."

"Let me ask you a question first before answering that. What do you think about mutants?"

"I don't have anything against them, as long they aren't criminals, why?"

"Because that in order to answer your question, I need to tell you I'm a mutant. More precisely an Avatar."

"You mean those mutants that hosts a spirit?"

"Yes, in this case, when I manifested a few days ago, I ended bonding with this spirit and she is a relative of Mrs Wright. Her daughter to be exactly."

"Are you playing a prank on me? Do you expect me to believe that?"

"You got to believe us. I really need to see my mother." Sue said almost in tears.

"Now she is the one saying she is her daughter? Do you think I'm dumb or something?" She said angrily.

"No, she is her daughter. My powers allow me to create solid pink illusions and Mary Sue is controlling that one." I said and made a pink bunny appear on her desk.

"Where did the bunny come from?" She asked and I picked it up before making it disappear.

"I made it using my power, just like I made that construct for Mary Sue to talk to her mother. She told me that her mother never got over her death and that her biggest regret was to never been able to say goodbye to her. That's the biggest regret for both of them I think. All we came here for was to give them closure."

"Are you telling me the truth?"

"She is, my daughter just want to help them." Dad told the woman. "What would they have to gain by lying?"

"You got a point there, Mr...?"

"Romsey, John Romsey. And you are?"

"Katherine Long, but everyone calls me Katie."

  

###

  

Katie showed us to Sue's mom room and I knocked on the door even though it was open. Sue and dad were keeping their distance for now. Inside an old lady was seated on a chair looking at an old photo album with a sad look on her face. When she heard my knock, she lifted her head and looked at me.

"Mrs Wright? Could I talk to you for a bit?"

"Hello." She said. "Why would a young girl like you want to talk to a decrepit old lady like me?"

"I'm sorry, and you are not decrepit. Just had a rough life."

"What would you know about that?"

"I heard a lot about you and I needed to talk to you. I just found out our families have a past together. I think you knew my grandmother as Maddie Hart."

"Maddie is your grandmother?" She said with a hint of excitement. "She was such a sweet kid, she used to baby sit my..." I could see clearly the sadness in her voice when she tried to talk about Sue.

"Your daughter? I just found that out today. Actually she is the reason I came here."

"Why would you want to talk to me about my daughter? She... she died almost 38 yeas ago." She said sadly.

"I know that, but there are some things I need to tell you and there is someone else that wants to see you too."

"What would you have to tell me? She was killed just because she was different. You don't have anything to tell me that I might want to hear."

"Actually I do. Just let me tell you my story and if you still think I have nothing else to tell you. I'll just go away and you won't need to see her."

"See who?"

"All I will say right now is that someone that wants to talk to you very much but was unable to do so until now. Can I tell you my story. It is a short one, I promise."

"What the hell. I have nothing better to do and it might be entertaining."

So I told her about how my powers started to manifest just 3 days ago (minus my gender change) about my powers and how I discovered that I was an avatar and was hosting the spirit of this girl that was killed a long time ago and how she told me what kind of relationship she had with her mother and how she never got over her daughter's death.

"That's it. That's my story."

"I... I don't know what to say. The girl you talked about. The spirit you said you are hosting sounds so much like my Sue."

"I know this is hard to believe, but I am here telling you all this because that girl is Mary Sue and she wants to talk to you. I was able to use my powers and give her a temporary body so she could talk to you."

"Are you telling me that my Sue is right outside waiting to talk to me? Please, call her. I want to see her."

"You mean that you believe me?"

"Child, that story is so crazy that it must be true, and I didn't detected any falsehood in it while you were telling it. I lived long enough to know when someone is lying to me. Now, please I want to see my daughters."

"I'm doing it now. Just remember that all my constructs are pink, so her body is all in shades or pink."

"That's not a problem, and pink always were her favorite color."

"Don't I know it?"

'Sue? It's time. Just remember that my constructs can lift almost 5 tons, so be gentle with your poor mother when you hug her. We don’t want to crush her to a pulp, do we?’

  

###

  

See came running and soon mother and daughter were hugging and crying together. I stepped outside to give them some privacy and went to talk to dad.

"How did it go, kiddo?" He asked me.

"Better than I imagined."

"And how are you feeling?"

"I'm starting to get a little bit tired, but I think I can hold on for a little while yet."

"Okay, just don't overdo yourself. Want something to eat? I could get you some chocolates from the vending machine."

"Yeah, bring me a few. I'm getting hungry and some chocolate would give me a boost." I said and we went to the vending machine together.

Poor dad. I don't think he planned to spend so much. I ate over 10 chocolate bars and still felt a little hungry.

  

###

  

In the end I could manage to keep Sue's body summoned for over 50 minutes, what gave her almost 30 minutes to talk to her mother. I was something, but not as long as both hoped. Just before I had to let the construct go they hugged one last time and I promised them that we would come again.

And yes, we did see her mother smile.

  


  
To be continued….
  

Hi everyone. You know the drill, right? Comment, press the kudos button, blah blah blah blah.

Seriously I love to hear your opinions. Even if I don't answer every single one of the comments I DO read them all and they CAN give me ideas for the story too, so they DO have an impact of how the story develops.

Hugs, Andrea.

up
283 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Awh.... THAT scene deserves a hug!

SWEET!

So mom is fairly well and sane.

Just hope her health improves so she can leave the nursing home, perhaps find a small appartment near Whateley so she can meet her daughter again.

As to avatars and Whateley...

Not been active there for some time but if memory serves the cannon has it that some can host multiple spirits and some can steal spirits away from weaker avatars.

Mary Sue if she is thought to be the source of the TK or the magic could be a tempting target to a few of the not so nice at Whateley.

Rememeber it is neutral grounds and takes all mutant students with few exceptions.

Only hope her girfiend can cope with being part of a threesome.

-- snicker --

Hum. 50 minutes? Thats pretty good. In some ways her constructs are like Jade's but in other ways no.

BIG Q is if they can stay together will she and Mary Sue remain separate minds or will they slowly merge.

I always wondered about avatars. Now Nikki can keep things separate fron the Sidhei Queen she is hosting but I wonder, can ALL avatars do that LONGTERM?

Though it would not be a total disaster as they get along well and Mary Sue is no pink bit of teenage fluff, mostly.

Fun chapter.

So when does the hammer come down on our joint herine?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I think that in cases like

I think that in cases like Nikki, the merging process takes several years if not several decades and I guess it only happens if both spirits are compatible enough for the process to happen, spirits similar enough that after a long time with the spiritual energies mixed together, their similarity starts to work in merging them.

Hugs,
Andrea.

So nice!

That the visit went well, when it could've gone so wrong. Holding the construct for so long is not bad. She is after all new to her powers and it can well improve with practice. I wonder too about the artistic merits. Being able to cast solid illusions so to speak means she can also make casts using plaster or clay. With a little work she could be regular instant prototyper making the shape to order and then doing a quick cast. Hmmmm.... I wonder about that working with keys? Perhaps just advoid that altogether if she can make her illusions appear without her seeing them. Like casing Mary Sue on the other side of a locked door. Then all she has to do unlock the door.

Hugs
Grover

Well it was hinted that she

Well it was hinted that she could controll the constructs directly herself. I think it would be interesting if she could control multiple bodies simultaneusly.

mom

glad to see mom was still there mentally. so maybe they can do this from time to time.
good chapter, thanks

It's still possible that she

It's still possible that she has some kind of mental or physical condition. For the mental stuff even the worst have lucid moments and for the physical they were just sitting and talking from the looks of things. I hope not though plus something would have been mentioned if she was that ill.

Oh how I wish that were possible!

Andrea,

Such a nice thing to do for both Sue and her mother. I can relate to Sue's feelings. I lost a sister very suddenly recently, without warning. As such, I didn't have a chance to say goodbye. It would have been nice to do.

I'm enjoying this. Keep up the good work!

Suzij

Phew!

The meeting went well, and Mel was able to hold onto the construct for over ¾ hour - phew! With time and training, she may be able to extend that to an hour - not enough to do a Jade-style double-up, but significant nonetheless.

Given Sue continued attending school / college post mortem, she may be able to assist in Mel's studies in a different way: as a kind of mentor. There are so many possibilities!


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Pink? Why Pink? - Part 15

Don't know which I like better: the family history, or the meeting. Both are good.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Lovely

Elsbeth's picture

That was very nice, look forward to reading more

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

happy

That brought a tear to my eye. Happy tears. I'm so glad they got some closure.

Maybe Sue gave her hope?

Seeing Sue may have given Gertrude a bit of hope, knowing that death really wasn't the end? Just a thought, but if Gertrude was to die, especially if Sue and Melody were visiting, might the two spirits be able to move on, together? I'm not real clear on Avatar lore, but would that then remove Mel's powers?

I wish that being able to see our relatives who passed was really possible. What I wouldn't give to visit with some of my friends and family.

Keep it coming Andrea, I love it!

Wren

A moment in time...

Diesel Driver's picture

Tear jerker moments can be so happy!

Chris