The Serendipity of Freedom | Part 6: A Quiet Life

Printer-friendly version

He pushed me back on the couch and proved to me that just because a man is gay,
it doesn't mean that he doesn't know how to please a woman..

serendipityof.gif
 
by Lisa Caitlin Grey

 


 
This story is dedicated to my beloved friend and soul mate who passed away in November of 2002. Dana, I will always miss you terribly.

 
Part 6: A Quiet Life
 
Chapter 20
 
 
We didn't stay at Openarms Station for very long, but we learned a lot about "The Zone,” as the people that lived here called it, from Jessica. It turns out that there was a strong government in the Zone with a well funded but small Navy of its own. It also had a bit of a criminal element as well, as we had discovered the hard way. All in all, life seemed to be good here, even considering the enforced isolation. The planetary systems were apparently rich in resources, which gave the Zone a strong basis for manufacturing. Also, a good many of the people being sent here tended to be above average intelligence. This made the Zone technologically on par with Terra, if not a bit beyond.

The technological and governmental seats of the Zone consisted of three main planets: Diversity, Acceptance, and the official capitol of the Zone, Tolerance.

"So, what will you all do now?" Jessica asked me.

"I don't know, honestly," I said. "We had been planning to seek out a freighter captain that I met once and find out if she had any ideas. Last I heard, she was headed for Diversity with an emergency load of medicine."

"You know a Zone freighter captain?" Jessica asked. "How is that possible if you haven't met anyone except us and the pirate since you came into the Zone?"

"I let her in," I said simply.

"Let her in? You mean you were in charge of the detail that sent her across in a life boat?" Jessica probed.

"No, I mean I was the watch officer on a dreadnought. I refused to fire on the freighter until they relieved me. By then I had encrypted the fire controls, forcing them to do a cold reboot of the system to get them back on line. By the time they were on line, she was already across the blockade and out of weapons range," I explained.

"No way! Was this freighter by any chance named 'Tina'?" Jessica asked excitedly.

"In fact, I believe it was," I nodded.

"And this happened how long ago?" she probed.

"A bit over three months now," I told her.

"What was the name of the dreadnought and what was your rank at the time?" Jessica asked.

"Look, Jessica, where is all this going?" I inquired.

"Please, just answer the question. It’s very important," she said.

"Okay, the dreadnought was called Aquinas and I was a Lt. Commander," I told her.

"Oh Goddess," Jessica said, smiling ear to ear, "You are THAT Callaway!"

"Yeah, I'm that Callaway," I confirmed. "So what?"

"Lordy, Girl, you really don't know, do you?" Jessica said.

"No, Jess, I really don't," I told her, just managing to keep from screaming in exasperation.

"Valerie, you have to understand, we all heard that Lt. Commander Callaway was to be executed for his compassion," Jessica said. "That's why Brock Callaway is an official Zone hero. Because he let that ship through, 90% of the planetary population of Diversity is going to live and the quarantine has been lifted. That means you can write your own ticket, Girl. I would suggest you go to Diversity. I'm going to give you a letter verifying your identity as The Brock Callaway. I guarantee they will provide you with a liberal stake to start a new life for Miri and your child. Damn! It's such an honor to meet you. And that you are one of us, well, that's even better."

"Oh please, Admiral, I didn't do anything you wouldn't have done," I dismissed, mildly embarrassed by the big deal she was making of it.

"Don't sell yourself short, Valerie," she said. "You didn't know your friends were going to save you. What you did, you did with the knowledge that it would cost you everything, including your life. And don't say it was nothing either, or I will thrash the hell outta you. There are several billion people on Diversity to whom it was a very big deal, including my family. You have no choice but to take the credit you earned, gracefully."

"Yes ma'am," I capitulated, sounding very much like a chastised child.

"That's better," the Admiral said. "Now, what do you need for your ship? We can't do anything for the hull damage here, but we can replenish your replicator material."

"Well, aside from the hull damage, the only thing we really need is reactor coolant. We lost a lot of it when we took that bad hit," I explained. "With the coolant low, we have had to keep the reactor output low, so it took a really long time between jumps to recharge our jump capacitors. Also, we couldn't fire the main gun without the reactor being at full power so that kind of limited our response to hostiles. In addition to the replicator material, if you could spare us some reactor coolant, and possibly a mark 4 anti-ship nuke to replace the one we spent on the pirates, it would appreciated."

"I'm sorry, did you say your ship is armed with mark 4 anti-ship nukes?" the Admiral asked incredulously. "And that you used one on those pirates? Shit, you don't screw around do you? Where did you get that kind of hardware? I thought that was a military grade missile that only the TSN was permitted to have, and so expensive that they only carried four or so per capital ship."

"She was rather creative with liberating TSN hardware," Miri laughed. "How do you think she got a TSN extended range dreadnought main battery PBC, or that set of jump generators that ship isn't supposed to have?"

"Valerie, remind me not to get on your bad side," the Admiral said. "You are a truly complex person. Principled and compassionate, yet ruthless in dealing with your enemies and not above grand larceny if it gets you what you want." She looked at Miri and grinned, "Are you sure you two are exclusive? Cause, I think I'm fallin' in love with her."

Miri grabbed me and wrapped her arms around me possessively. To the Admiral, she said sweetly, "Valerie is merely ruthless with people that try to take what's hers. I, on the other hand, am somewhat beyond vicious."

"Point taken," the Admiral laughed. "The two of you are such a cute couple, too. I'll get your letter and see what I can do about your requests. The coolant shouldn't be a problem, but the missile might be tricky."

They threw us a huge party on our last night on Openarms Station. We were all much sought-after company. I don't think I have ever danced as much as I did that night. If I wasn't dancing with Miri, I was dancing with the Admiral, and if it wasn't her it was Erika or Yolanda, though Yolanda seemed to prefer dancing with Miri to me. I don't think I sat down for more than five minutes at a time the whole night and the guys reported a similar experience. Miri was able to politely decline a lot of folks that asked her to dance because of her condition, so she wasn't nearly as exhausted as I was when it was time to go.

I climbed into bed and cuddled up to Miri, who was lying on her back. I gently stroked her gravid belly while nestling my head on her shoulder. "I love you so much it hurts sometimes, you know that?" I said.

"Yeah I know, but it's nice to hear you say it," Miri said, capturing my hand that was stroking her belly and intertwining our fingers.

"You realize I can't get pregnant, right?" I asked her.

"Why not? You're genetically female now. Your body should be capable," she pointed out.

"Yeah, but women are born with all the eggs they will ever have," I explained. "Since I wasn't born a woman, I don't have any eggs. They explained that very clearly to me."

"Perhaps we could use one of mine," she suggested. "We can use your genetic material to fertilize it, then implant it in your womb."

"I don't know if that would be viable or not," I said. "Since my body is highly modified from the original, it may not do what it's supposed to do for the developing embryo. As much as I would love to carry your child, I don't know if I could deal with a miscarriage."

"Well, we won't worry about that now. We have plenty of time, my love," she said and kissed my forehead.

Soon after that, we fell asleep, hands still intertwined above our developing child.
 
 
Chapter 21
 
 
We entered Diversity local space three days later.

"This is Diversity Orbital Control to incoming vessel Duality," a pleasant voice said over the comm.

"This is Duality, Captain Valerie Nicole Callaway commanding, go ahead DOC," I said.

"Duality, we were told to expect you. Welcome to Diversity local space. There is a landing pad reserved for you at Norfolk Space Port, and you're clear all the way in. We were told to have you report to the immigration and customs office as soon as you de-ship," the DOC controller said.

"Roger, Wilco, DOC. Thanks," I said.

"Anytime Duality. Have a pleasant trip down, DOC out," the controller said.

The Duality buffeted mildly as she began to plow atmosphere. She free fell to the surface being gradually braked by her anti-gravity generators until she gently settled on her landing struts. We shut her down and made ready to meet the people of Diversity.

It was about noon, local time when we arrived at the customs and immigration offices. We were immediately shown to the Director's office. Refreshments were brought to us while we endured a brief wait for the Director's return. He was evidently at a luncheon, but we were told he had been notified and was on his way back.

"Sorry about the wait," a portly gentleman of Asian ancestry told us as he bustled in. "Welcome to Diversity, honored guests. I am Director Tanaka, at your service."

"I am Valerie Nicole Callaway," I told him, loving the sound of my new name. "This is my crew. The tall beauty there is my beloved and first officer, Miriam Cali Flowers. The tall gentleman is my best friend and second officer, Brian Waylan Andrews. The dark haired gentleman is my good friend and third officer, Dan Chestnut."

"Good to meet you, my friends," the almond-eyed man enthused. "I was told to handle your case personally and that you would have something for me that explained why this was necessary."

"Indeed," I said; handing him the data chip Admiral Shehane had given me.

Director Tanaka took the chip and begged our pardon for a moment while he examined the information on it. I braced myself for the inevitable onslaught I knew was coming. As the Director read the letter on the chip, his eyes grew wide and he looked up at me sharply.

"Miz Callaway, this is indeed a tremendous honor to have you here among us," Director Tanaka said in awe. "As I am sure the Admiral told you, you and Alex Sorin are considered heroes throughout the Zone, but especially here on Diversity. The governing council has even voted in two planetary holidays for each of you, so the people can celebrate the exceptional courage and self-sacrifice both of you possess."

He stuck out his hand to me and I placed my fingertips in it self-consciously. I was shocked to the point of almost snatching my hand back when he bent over it and kissed it. Had it not been for the tingling this caused all over my body and the funny tickle I felt in my tummy, I might have acted on the impulse.

"It's truly a pleasure to meet someone as legendary as you, Mi'lady," he said as he straightened. "We must take you post haste to see the Council. I'm positive they will ensure that your every need is provided for." Director Tanaka got on the phone and made several calls.

"It's all set," the man said when he was finished. "I'll take you to meet with the council in an hour's time. In the meantime, allow me to ask of your plans."

Miri and I thought Diversity was just as good a place as any to settle down with our family. Better perhaps, since Diversity was the Research and Technology Center of the Zone as well as sporting the Zone's largest shipyard. Given my credentials and interest in starship engineering, I was hopeful I could secure a position there as an engineer.

The guys opted to give Diversity a shot as well. Given Dan's computer skills, he could almost write his own ticket and Brian was considering starting a consulting firm to exploit them. They would certainly have a market, once the word got out.

Tanaka then had us fill out several forms. Once finished, it was time to head to our meeting with the Governing Council. Let me tell you, I was thrilled at the prospect of more of the fawning fan fare these folks could formulate. I hoped it would slack off a bit soon because, to be honest, I didn't know how to deal with it. It made me feel self-conscious, embarrassed, and uncomfortable. I could never live up to the legendary status they seemed intent on conferring on me.

The ride to the Council building took about ten minutes. Director Tanaka whipped the Anti-Grav car through the three dimensional skein of modern city traffic like a seasoned professional. We finally settled lightly to the floor of the Council building parking garage. Exiting the vehicle, we were shown to the elevator and transported into the depths of the building. When we got to the Council meeting chambers, we were told everyone was there and were shown right in.

I knew from the information I had read about Diversity that the council was made up of nine members: three gay men, three lesbians, two trans-people, and a straight person. The reality, when it was in front of me, appeared to be six women and three men, though it was obvious that one of the women hadn't been born such.

After introductions were made and everyone was seated, we got down to business. They reviewed the data chip Admiral Shehane had given me. After they asked me a few questions, one of them conferred with someone on an intercom. The door opened and a familiar face entered. I knew the face, though not the name, at least until recently.

Alex Sorin strode confidently into the room. Though it was just as obvious that she was born male, she was dressed smartly in a skirted business suit. She paused when she saw me, her eyes growing wide.

"Oh my goodness," Alex said. "It's truly remarkable. Um...Miss Callaway could you stand up please?"

I did so and turned 360 degrees as Alex indicated with a twirling finger.

"Utterly incredible," she said after I completed my pirouette. "You are, without a doubt, the same person I met at the blockade, or at least his identical twin sister, but you are so beautiful and female where before there was little doubt you were all man. And you changed very little to achieve this. I hate you, you bitch." This last was said with a warm grin as Alex came up and hugged me tightly. "I'm so glad you managed to escape the TSN's firing squad. You'll have to tell me all about it." She held me at arm's length again, looking me over, "Damn, it's hard to believe you are here and that you were actually one of us the whole time. So, are you dating anyone?"

"Don't even think about it," Miri said with a sweet smile that was clearly the velvet glove covering the fist of steel, and then added, possessively, "She's mine."

"Bummer," Alex conceded, smiling. Apparently, her disappointment was shared by several of the women, judging from the saddened sighs that gusted through the room after Miri's declaration. Miri sat there with a smug satisfied smile, having clearly marked her territory.

"So now that we have proven she is indeed who she says she is, and we have all managed to hit on her within two hours of her arrival on the planet," a severe steel gray-haired woman said, "Perhaps we can discuss where we go from here."

"If I may," Director Tanaka said, "Miss Callaway and her friends have decided to settle here on Diversity, so perhaps we could do for her what we did for Miss Sorin."

"Okay," a balding middle-aged man said, "in Miss Sorin's case she was already well known to the people, as she was in much of the news feeds celebrating our salvation from the disease that threatened to wipe out our planet. Many people know of Miss Callaway's role because of the recording Miss Sorin made of her conversation with the dreadnought captain. What we need to do is get Miss Callaway into the spotlight and tell the rest of the story of how she came to be here. The news agencies would kill for an interview with her, I'm sure, so that shouldn't be a problem."

"Right," one of the lesbians continued, "then we just ask for donations from the population to provide Miss Callaway with her reward and stake for her new life here. As I recall, Miss Sorin is now a very wealthy woman and has began her own shipping franchise." Alex nodded in confirmation.

"Um...excuse me," I said more than once until I got all of their collective attention. "Look, I don't want to seem ungrateful and all, but I would just as soon you not do that. I can make my own way. I can sell my ship and buy a house. I have four degrees, with a strong background in engineering and physics. If you feel the need to give me anything, perhaps it should be a good word or an in over at the shipyard. Honestly, I have no desire to be in the limelight or to be a public figure. I just want to live quietly, earning enough credits to live comfortably, and concentrate on my coming family."

There was dead silence as the council all sat looking at me as if I had sprouted another head or something. The tableau held for several moments before the Council members turned as one and began discussing how to get my story out again. I slammed my palms down on the table, causing a loud boom to echo through the room. They all stopped and looked back at me.

"What the hell is wrong with you people?" I said stridently. "Didn't I just say I wasn't interested in fanfare and notoriety? Did I not make myself clear?"

"I'm sorry, Miss Callaway, but that's unacceptable," one of the trans members of the Council said. "You are a planetary hero here and the people need heroes. We have a made a good life here, but we are, nevertheless, cut off from the rest of the universe. That fact nearly cost the population of Diversity their lives, since the ingredients in the vaccine for the disease that gripped us could not be found in the Zone. This is a fact that everyone is aware of. It's also just a matter of time before the Terran Government decides that isolating us is not enough and comes in to summarily erase our existence. This is the reality that we live under every day. This is why people need to know that there are men and women out there willing to risk everything for them. In return for giving the people their hero, you will not want or need for anything."

"What I will want and need is my privacy," I rejoined. "So, what you people are saying is that it doesn't matter what I want here, it only matters that the people get their hero to gloat over?"

"Of course, it matters what you want, but the people need to see that the Terran Government can be beaten," a younger man with dark hair and a deep tan said.

"Then I'm sorry, but Miri and I will be moving on," I said calmly.

"You can't do that," the steel haired woman said over the clamor that had erupted at my statement.

"I'm a free and independent person above the age of consent. I have a hyperspace capable ship sitting at the spaceport," I said, my volume building with each word. "I CAN DO ANY FUCKING THING I WANT. I don't owe you people anything, and I'll not be a slave to the public eye."

Again, there was a pregnant silence as shock at my fervor prevailed.

"We could stop you, you know," another man pointed out.

"And gain what?" I asked frostily. "My eternal animosity? What kind of hero would I be if I made it abundantly clear at every opportunity that I hold you and your people in contempt and hatred?"

"She's right," said a huge woman built like a lumberjack. "And shame on us for even considering forcing this on her after she said she didn't want it. She has already given us far more than we have a right to ask for. What kind of reward would it be for us to force her into a life that she obviously finds abhorrent?" The woman met the eyes of every member of the Council in turn, holding them until they turned away in chagrin. She continued, "Now, obviously she can be a valued member of our society in her own right and she is obviously willing to take a stand when pushed, so how can we welcome her among us, reward her heroism, and still be respectful of her as a private person?"

"We could give Miss Callaway a grant to help her get established," one of the men suggested. "It couldn't be a lot, or there might be a scandal which would result in the notoriety she wants to avoid."

"I have a better idea," Alex spoke up. "The donations I received as a reward from the people of Diversity total more than three people could ever spend in a lifetime. I am more than willing to split it with her."

"That's a great idea," the outsized lesbian said with a huge grin.
 
 
Chapter 22
 
 
In the end, I got what I wanted, a quiet life for Miri and me. I got the job as an engineer for the Norfolk Shipyard, but not how I imagined it. Miri and I started our own engineering firm, designing all sorts of ships from warships to luxury star liners. Though the Norfolk Shipyard did the actual construction, the hull bore our company name and we were paid handsomely for every hull commissioned.

One of our more lucrative designs was brought about by the Zone Navy's interest in the Duality. They thought, and I agreed, that such a craft would fill a niche as both a heavy fast attack ship and an armed courier. We kept with the same lines as the Duality, but the new ship was about thirty feet longer and about 10 feet wider. This not only gave back the two cabins I had lost on the original Duality, but also afforded space for the original compliment of Jump Capacitors and some extras to further increase the hyperspace jump range. It was fully stealth capable, just like the original Duality, still had the PBC mounted inside down the centerline and it had a far more powerful reactor and drives, making it a faster ship in spite of its larger overall size. It mounted an additional point defense turret, and the number of missile launchers was increased to eight auto-loading models with three rounds each. The cargo space also made some reasonable gains. It was known as the Duality class heavy corvette.

I was gifted with the first production model produced, although the one the Norfolk Shipyard gave me was far more luxurious than the Spartan models the navy would be receiving. We christened the ship the Duality Too.

Brian and Dan started their own company doing computer work, Dan being the talent and Brian handling the day to day running of the company. I, of course, contracted them to write all the software for running my ships' computers. They didn't have to work for anybody but me, but they expanded their business to include other computer applications besides starship computers. After I was presented with the Duality Too, I gave the original Duality to Brian and Dan in recognition of their unwavering friendship.

Miri and I were on our way home from the ceremony in which the Navy formally accepted the first 20 Duality class corvettes, when Miri stiffened with a grimace.

"Um, Valerie," She said through clenched teeth as beads of sweat began popping out on her forehead.

"What is it? What's wrong?" I asked anxiously.

"It's time," she said.

It took a moment for it to connect, but then I glanced at her hugely distended belly. I pointed the car towards the hospital, liberally applying as much speed as I could. When we arrived, I made Miri, now well into her contractions, wait in the car while I ran in and got an orderly with a wheelchair. As we wheeled her into the hospital, she took my hand in a crushing grip and cried out.

We were quickly conducted to the delivery room where a nurse took Miri's vitals and then gave her a hospital gown to put on while we waited for the obstetrician. The woman energetically entered the room as Miri crushed my hand and screamed again. The Doctor donned a pair of surgical gloves and we helped Miri onto the table, putting her legs in the stirrups. Pulling up a stool, the doctor examined Miri while she asked the pertinent questions about contractions and whatnot.

"Your child should be arriving shortly," the doctor confirmed. "Would you like an epidural?"

"Damn right I would," Miri ground out, then looked at me, her eyes narrowing. "Just you wait, you bitch, it's your turn next." Then she cried out again as the color drained from my face.

After what we were assured was a mercifully short labor, our son entered the world. He was 7 pounds 3 ounces and had all the appropriate appendages in all the right places. I was in awe as I watched the mother, a bedraggled and sweat soaked Miri, hold the infant, our child, close to her and tenderly stroke the child's tiny cheek. The beauty of the scene moved me; tears streamed from my eyes. I was suddenly filled with an impossibly intense love for mother and child as well as a fierce need to protect them against any harm.

Miri looked up at me and I saw the same emotions in her eyes that filled my being. She held out her hand to me.

"Get over here, beautiful and meet your son," she said gently. I went to her and took her hand as I lovingly touched my child's face.

We named him Brock Nicolas Callaway, and he consumed our world.

Two years later, as my 24th birthday approached, Brian called me and asked if I could go with him to the local bar. He wanted to discuss something with me. I agreed to go and he said he would pick me up. It was sort of a game to Miri and me; whenever we went someplace like a bar or restaurant with the guys, we would dress nicely and play as if we were straight couples. This held, even when it was just two of us, because we were all best friends and accepted that none of us was a threat to the other’s relationship.

Consequently, when Brian arrived to get me, he was dressed handsomely in a collared polo-style shirt and a pair of casual dress slacks, while I looked stunning in a midnight blue dress that hugged my reasonable curves, hanging several inches above my knees. Diamonds dripped from my earlobes and a white gold and diamond necklace hung gracefully above the moderate cleavage the dress displayed.

"Wow," Brian said, just like he did every time.

"Shall we?" I asked, with a sultry smile. He gulped and nodded, playing the role of my date to the hilt; at least that's what I thought. I kissed Miri and she told us to have a good time, just like always, except there was something, a glint in her eye perhaps, that bugged me. I dismissed it and Brian drove us to the lounge.

"So, where's Dan," I asked after we had been seated and had ordered drinks.

"He's working late, putting the finishing touches on that latest software upgrade for you," Brian said.

"How's the business doing?" I asked conversationally.

"You know as well as I do, Valerie," he smiled. "That as long as our biggest customer is doing well, we're doing well."

"Great," I smiled. "How's things with you and Dan?" I was starting to feel like I was playing twenty questions. Uncharacteristically, Brian seemed quiet and... nervous?

"Never better," Brian said, glancing at the couples on the dance floor. "Would you like to dance?"

"Sure," I said, getting more curious by the minute about what this was all about.

We danced a couple of songs and then returned to the table, had a few drinks and made more small talk. Obviously, Brian had something on his mind, but I wasn't going to press him on it. Anyway, I was beginning to get pleasantly buzzed and I tended to be a chatterbox when that happened. After a while we got up and danced for a couple more songs until they began to play a slow number and I turned to go back to the table.

"No, please, wait," Brian said, catching my hand as I turned. "Do you mind?" he asked me, referring to the slow dance.

I shrugged and stepped towards him. He put his hand on the small of my back and pressed me into him while holding my left hand with his right in the traditional way. I put my free arm around his shoulder with my hand resting on his neck. Out of habit, I idly stroked it like I did when I danced with Miri. I laid my head against his chest and relaxed into him as we swayed around the floor. It was nice, different from dancing with Miri, but still nice.

Before long he released my hand and put that arm around me, rubbing my back, while my other arm joined its opposite on his neck.

"Valerie?" he asked.

"Yes?" I inquired, as I looked up at him. He looked deeply into my eyes as he leaned down and kissed me thoroughly. This wasn't odd in and of itself. We had played like this several other times, but this had a more serious flavor to it. Still, I was buzzed and relaxed; it felt good, so I went with it. When the song ended he held me for a few moments longer as we kissed. Then we disengaged and he held me at arm's length.

"Valerie, I need to show you something. Will you go someplace with me?" he asked.

"Sure," I agreed and we returned to the table. I collected my purse and went to the ladies room to fix my makeup while he settled the bill. Soon we were back in his car and he was headed out of the city.
 
 
Chapter 23
 
 
When we pulled up to the cabin overlooking a beautiful lake my alcohol fogged brain started putting things together. The glint in Miri's eyes, Brian's uncharacteristic nervousness, the romantic dance, the clever way he had gotten me up here, yup, even the fact that Dan was otherwise occupied; it all added up to one thing: Miri had come up with an elaborate scheme to surprise me with a romantic evening with her. Boy, was I surprised when I found out how wrong I was.

We entered the cabin and Brian asked me to make us some drinks as he went over to the fireplace and started a cozy, romantic fire to remove the supposed chill from the air. I returned with our drinks and sat down on the couch as I waited for the other shoe to drop.

He came over and sat down next to me, close enough that I could feel the heat from his body and smell the faint smoky aroma that he had acquired lighting the fire. The stage was certainly set for something to happen. I looked at him as he took a swallow from the drink that I had made for him.

"So, what did you want to show me?" I asked.

He made a sweeping gesture with his arm and asked, "What do you think?"

"About the cabin? It's great. Yours?" I asked with a smile.

"Yup," he said, proudly, "just finalized it yesterday."

"Awesome," I said as he turned me away from him and began to massage my shoulders and neck. "Mmmm," I purred, "that feels good."

"It's supposed to," he chuckled, while he continued.

He had just about turned me to jelly with a combination of the alcohol and the massage, when I felt his lips on the nape of my neck. It felt divine and I didn't protest, thinking this was some part of Miri's grand design. In fact, it felt more than divine, I realized, as my panties were a bit damp at this point. I almost did protest when I felt him unzip the back of my dress, but his hands continued their soothing magical massage of the muscles down either side of my spine. My bra seemed to be in his way so he unclasped it. I felt my breasts swing free as he gently pulled the dress and the bra off my shoulders and down my arms before resuming his massage and working his way down to my lower back.

"Brian, what are you doing?" I asked.

"Don't you like it?" he asked, avoiding the question.

"No, I don't like it," I said, feeling his hands tense momentarily. "I love it, but what's going on here? The dancing, the kissing, the romantic cabin with the cozy fire, me sitting here topless as you massage me… Mister Andrews, if I didn't know any better, I would think you were trying to seduce me."

"Is it working?" he asked.

"Um...it would be except for a rather large woman at home who would have my guts for garters if I cheated on her. That and the fact that I love her more than anything in the world," I said.

"What if I told you this was all her idea and she wants this for you?" Brian asked.

The relaxation I felt was gone instantly and I pulled my dress up, covering myself before I moved away and turned to face Brian. "I think you'd better explain that one, Brian," I said uneasily.

"When she brought this whole plan to Dan and me, she told me that you told her you were curious as to what it might be like being with a man," Brian said. "She said that you would never try it because of her, but she thought you might trust me enough to relax and enjoy the sensations."

"She said that, did she?" I said neutrally. "And what does Dan think about this?"

"He's envious that it's not him here with you," Brian grinned, "but he agreed it should be me, your best friend that gets the honor of your maiden head."

"I can't believe Miri even suggested this," I said, fuming. "I can't believe you and Dan went along with it. What were you all thinking? I don't want to sleep with anybody but her."

"Okay, no problem," Brian said reasonably. "I'll take you home right now if you can look me in the eye and tell me you aren't curious about what it would be like."

I looked him straight in the eyes, opened my mouth and then closed it. I looked away for a moment and then returned my gaze to his and tried again with similar results.

"I thought not," Brian said with a hint of smugness. "Look, Valerie, Miri loves you more than anything in the world except for maybe that little boy of yours, and even that's no more or less than she loves you. She knows you are faithful to her and she trusts you, but she also thinks it's important for you to have this experience, to satisfy that curiosity and experience being a woman for a man even as she has. I was honored that it was me she asked to be the one, and I would be even more honored if you would consent to allow me that pleasure."

I just sat there, confused as hell by this whole bizarre scenario. What was I supposed to do? Miri wanted me to do this. It might hurt her feelings if I didn't, and it would certainly hurt Brian's feelings, yet why was I feeling so guilty? Brian put his arms around me comfortingly this time and held me while I worked through this. I laid my head on his shoulder as he stroked my still bare back for a while.

"So, Valerie, will you allow me to satisfy your curiosity?" he finally asked.

I slowly nodded against his chest. Without a word, he squeezed me then pulled back slightly so he could tenderly raise my chin with his fingers, lean down and kiss me. I let go, surrendered myself to the moment, and soon we were making out passionately. He laid me back on the couch, following me down as his lips and tongue explored my own. His hand started at my neck and stroked its way down, pausing briefly to knead my breast, before continuing down my side and finally stopping behind my knee. His hand then guided my knee up until it was over his hip, causing my dress to ride up and allowing him to grind his hip into my mound while his hand returned to my breast.

When I began to grind back against him urgently he stopped and got up. My momentary confusion was relieved when I saw him begin to remove his clothes. I followed suit, letting the dress fall unnoticed to the floor as I stood and removed my hose, followed by my panties. We stood before each other, completely naked. His member was standing at full attention, bumping against his belly as his pulse forced blood into it. I could feel my own moisture beginning to coat the tops of my thighs. Suddenly we were in each other's arms again and were kissing passionately. I could feel him pressing on my flat smooth tummy.

Hooking my foot behind his, I pushed, causing him to sprawl back on the couch. I lowered myself to my knees between his legs with feline grace. His member was there, pulsing before me and tentatively I reached out and touched it. It was soft and smooth but very firm. As I caressed it lightly he groaned and a single drop of fluid appeared at the tip. I leaned forward and captured the fluid with the tip of my tongue before gently kissing the helmet-like tip of his manhood. Slowly, sensually, I licked my way down the shaft to the base. From there, I teased my way around his testicles before working my way back up, taking my time to coat him with my saliva. I took him in my hand and began to pump him as I looked up at him with my face poised above his member. He looked down at me with such an expression of pleading and lust that I almost started laughing. Instead, I took him in my mouth and began to perform fallatio on him.

I brought him to the very brink, then backed off, as Miri had done with me at times. I carefully kept him in that state as I teased and played with him. His muscles stood out rigidly, vibrating with sexual tension. Still, I did not grant him release until his eyes finally met mine, pleading for relief. I smiled and with the tip of my tongue I traced a line along the big vein on the underside of his member. When I reached the tip, I engulfed him again, quickly sending him careening over the edge. He pumped what seemed like gallons of his seed into my mouth. I desperately tried to swallow it all, but a tiny sticky rivulet escaped the corner of my lips.

Spent, he pulled me up on him and licked his own sticky goo from my cheek before deep kissing me lingeringly. "Valerie, you are amazing. I refuse to believe you've never done that before," he said breathlessly.

"I had an exceptional teacher and the benefit of knowing just how it feels," I grinned at him. "Now it's your turn to show me what you’ve got, Sailor."

He pushed me back on the couch and proved to me that just because a man is gay, it doesn't mean that he doesn't know how to please a woman. His tongue played me like a harp, making my body sing with orgasmic delight. While he was nowhere near the virtuoso that Miri was, he was a wonderful lover in his own right. I think I was on my fourth or fifth orgasm when he stopped and pulled himself on top of me. He kissed me with rough passion and I tasted myself coating his face.

I put my arms around his neck and pulled my legs up around his waist hooking my feet behind him. I could feel his once more ridged member nudging at my opening as if requesting entry clearance. Brian looked into my eyes in mute inquiry. I nodded imperceptibly and closed my eyes. He reached down and passed the head of his member up and down my dripping crease a few times to lubricate it, before he lodged it at my opening and pushed it in just a little. The sensation of his initial penetration caused me to suck in a sharp breath. He stopped, motionless for a moment or two before he began to slowly and tenderly work what he had in by rocking back and forth. Slowly, he went a little deeper each time until he made one sharp thrust. There was an instant of pain, followed by an incredibly pleasurable, impossibly full feeling. He began pumping the full length of his shaft in and out of me. The alternating empty, then full sensation soon tripped me over the edge, yet he persisted. I screamed in orgasmic glee time and time again, before he finally shot his second load of the night deeply inside me, and then collapsed onto me.

-=^=-

 
 

In the next part, A Woman's Work Is... our heroine is once again called on for an important mission that could bring a new sense of security to the residents of the Zone. --LCG
 
I would like to thank those that helped me with the proofing and structure of the story. I would also love to hear any and all constructive feedback. --LCG

-=^=-

up
120 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

They're not just friends but

They're not just friends but friends with benefits :D

I guess the quiet time will end soon and the TSN will try to end the disgrace of humanity.

Thank you for writing this awesome story,
Beyogi