Pink? Why Pink? - Part 09

Printer-friendly version

 
 

Disclaimer:
 

"This is fan fiction for the Whateley Academy series. It may or may not match the timeline, characters, and continuity, but since it's fan fiction, who cares?
  


 
 

The next test, according to the doctor, was to see if I had any devisor and/or gadgeteer traits. He led me to a room that was set up like a workshop, it had all kinds of things in there and most of the stuff I had no idea what was for. I can say with conviction that I have no talent to build stuff, I mean other than being able to build my own computer system, but that's what normal geeks do, right?

After that I was led to a huge room that had very high ceiling and was very long too, it also had a glass window on one of the sides where it seems one can view the entire room from there.

"This room is physically and magically reinforced against damages, so I usually do the most potentially structural destructive powers here, so there is no need to hold back."

"You think I might be dangerous?" I asked nervously.

"Potentially any recently manifested mutant can be dangerous and that's the reason these tests exists, so we can know what you are capable of and ascertain that you are not a danger to yourself or others."

"I see. Does it mean that it also servers as a way to know which is also the best way to know how to best train me to control my powers?"

"Yes, but that will be for someone else to do, I only do the preliminary tests so that a temporary MID can be issued to you. Oh, that reminds me, you need to come up with a codename to put on the MID."

"A codename? Like a super-hero name? Why would I need that?"

"Mostly it is for privacy, all the data of yourself as a mutant will be under that alias, it prevents the general public of knowing your real name in case you decide to become involved in the super-hero or the super-villain communities."

"I think I understand."

Now, the tests there were pretty cool. The first thing I had to do was to summon my force field. Although I think that having a force field is pretty cool, I hate the fact it is pink and not invisible for two reasons, one it is pink and two, it makes me see everything in shades of pink like I was wearing pink lens over my eyes. Yeah, yeah I am still a bit miffed about the pink thing.Ok, ok, make that completely pissed off about it. Why did it have to be pink?

‘Come on, you know pink is a cute color and it does look great on you’

'I didn't ask you. I was thinking to myself. I know pink is a cute color and that's the problem. I am a guy and pink is not a guys color."

‘’Huh? A guy? I'm sorry, but you don't have to worry about being all manly anymore, girlfriend.’

Shit, I forgot about that for a bit. 'You didn't have to rub it in, you know?'

'Sorry, but I'm getting tired of you ranting about "why pink", you know? It gets tiring after the thousandth time in a day and half. We don't know why is pink but DEAL WITH IT ALREADY!!!'

Damn, the girl is mad, and I guess she does have a reason to be, but what can I do? It's not like I can control how I feel about it.

'It is not how you feel about it that is the problem, it's how you deal with it. Why not instead of ranting, why don't you try to embrace it? It might be pink, but you got some cool powers along with it, also you are still alive and not dead and stuck inside someone that keeps complaining about how miserable she is because her cool powers only comes in pink.'

'I'm sorry, OK? I didn't mean to upset you, but all this only started yesterday. I need some time to adjust to everything. Is there anything I can do to cheer you up? '

'Cheer me up? Do you really mean that?'

'Yeah, I guess I do. I rather be stuck with an upbeat and slightly annoying with all the cutesy stuff Mary Sue than a mad a me one.'

'Really? I think I know what you can do, but I'm not telling just yet. All I'll say is that your girlfriend, your mother and sister will enjoy that almost as much as I.'

Why do I have the impeding doom feeling and why do I have the mental impression of an evil laugh coming from her?

I was interrupted from my thoughts by the doctor's voice.

"Are you okay in there?"

"Oh, sorry. I was having a little discussion with my spirit friend."

"I see, you got a chatty one, didn't you?"

"Pretty much. I just hope she doesn't drive me insane."

"You know what they say about avatars, right?"

"No, what do they say?"

"They say that they aren't insane because that's what the voice in their heads tell them."

I bet you want to know if I laughed at that, right? I mean it is such an old joke but I didn't expect the doctor to do that, so yes, I did laugh... hard.

Now, back to the test, the first thing I did was to summon my force field, but I already said that, right? As expected I had the pink vision thing going again (I really need to come up with a better name for that), but something was different this time. Where before were white walls, now they were filled with strange glowing symbols and drawings, and yes I saw them in pink if you I wondering.

"What are those writings all over the walls?" I asked the doctor.

"Can you see that? Interesting.... Those are magical wards protecting the room against most kind of damages. It seems your field also works as a filter allowing you to see magic. That was unexpected."

"What does it mean?"

"I'm not sure, but according to the data the sensors on your suit and the ones around the room are sending, the nature of your field is only partially TK, also there seem to have a magical component to the energies of your field."

"What kind of magical component?"

"I'm no sure yet, but I will know more soon, after all, that's what we are here for. Now, try to levitate to start."

I did try to levitate, but what happened was that I ended up with my face stuck to the ceiling and I had to turn off the field to get down, but thankfully my fall was cushioned by a pink beanbag this time. Of course it went away as soon as I got up.

"It seems that there is also an unconscious element working on your abilities, mostly involving protection of injuries, or did you think something when you were falling?"

"I did think something. I thought 'Shit this is going to hurt.'"

Next he told me to try to levitate again, but this time I should visualize myself slowly lifting off the ground and hold steady about a couple feet up. I did so and surprisingly it worked, I was floating and holding steady until he asked me to fly around. What happened next I sure hope it wasn't getting recorded, because I felt like the ball of those pinball arcade games, bouncing all over the walls until I tried the visualization trick again and after that I was able to fly around a little better. Who knew that flying was such hard work?

Next I had to try replicate what happened at the school when I made a hand shoot out. It was easier than I thought it would be. I just had to will it happen and it did, a big pink hand shot out of my right hand when I was doing a punch motion while I tried to make it appear. I also found out that I could control it's movement and had it moving around for a bit before letting it go. Of course that made the doctor get ideas and soon I was trying to make all sorts of things to appear, like balls, chairs, a couch, a wall, you name it and I probably did it.

The next thing was to test if my constructs (yes, that's what he started calling them) could interact with other things as it seems they were surrounded by the same energies as my force field. He pressed something inside the room he was in and a hole opened up on one of the walls and a big concrete block came wheeled by a remote controlled forklift.

"I want you to try to pick that up using your constructs, do you think you can do that?"

"I'll never know unless I try." The forklift that brought it inside gave me an idea so I tried to summon a copy of that and let me tell you,having a photographic memory does help when trying to do that as soon I have a perfect pink replica of the forklift moving the concrete block around. It was a pretty fun thing to do, but at the same time I had that disturbing feeling that my powers looked strangely familiar but I didn't dwell on that as I was having too much fun.

Noticing that I could make a working forklift construct, the doctor asked me to move the block to one end of the room. After I did so he asked me to try and make a working gun to shoot at it. I guess I really am a geek as the first thing that came to mind was the gun phaser gun from star trek. When I pulled the trigger a laser bean shot out of the gun and went through the concrete block leaving it all cracked and with a hole running through it.

"Shit. I didn't expect that." I said surprised.

"Don't worry about that. That was exactly what I was hoping for. I think we are done here. Now I want to test if you can really see magic when your field is on."

He led me to another room that had several shelves with several items on them.

"On these shelves we have several magical an non magical items. What I want you to do is to first look at them without your field and after that look at them with your field on, but don't touch anything. There aren't anything dangerous here, but when dealing with potentially magic items you deal with then like a loaded gun, very carefully."

I nodded and looked around, other than some stuff looking really odd, there wasn't any clear indication of what would be magical without a more detailed examination and I said so to him.

"That's the idea of why only looking around, if someone can see magic they don't need to examine something to know if it is magical. The need for examination would be to determine what kind of magic it possess and what it is supposed to do."

I summoned my field again and looked around. This time I could see several items glowing and also there were differences on how much they glowed and the shade of pink I would see in the glow. I guess mean how charged the item was and how strong was the magic contained in them. I pointed that out to the doctor and he said it was probably it, but he couldn't be certain as there wasn't any really powerful item around to test it out, but I definitely could see magic. Oh, he also said we could go back up.

And that cheered me up.

  

###

  

I took off the perverts dream catsuit and checked my (gulp) tampon. There was nothing in it and I thought it was strange. Wasn't periods supposed to last a few days? I shrugged and changed myself back into the clothes I came in and once upstairs I was led into his office again where my mother joined us.

"Your daughter is an amazing girl Mrs Romsey."

"Thank you, doctor. Are the tests finished?"

"Mostly yes, there is just one more test I want to do and I thought it would be better if you were present."

"I wish to test her for regenerative powers, I noticed earlier when we tried to take blood that the needle marks vanished almost instantly."

"How do you want to do that?" I asked him. "I suppose you want to inflict some kind of injury and see how fast I heal from it?"

"Do you want to purposely injury my daughter?" Asked mom and I could see she was getting angry at him. The look on her face was of a lioness ready to protect her young.

"Just a small cut on the thigh and not a very deep one. It is a standard test to check for regenerative powers."

"Depending of the degree, it could mean she would never be sick again, also that drugs could have little to no effect at all, it could also expand the life expectancy considerably and maybe even limbs regeneration."

"How considerably?"

"That we will know after the test, there is no point of speculating, is there?"

"I guess not. When do we do it?" I asked him.

"I'm just going to call the nurse and she will do the cut. It will probably hurt a little and I have a little problem with infecting pain on others. I can't stand hurting people."

"But you did throw a baseball at me behind my head."

"HE DID WHAT?" My mother yelled and I swear I saw fire coming out of her eyes.

"Calm down, mom. It was to see if I had some kind of danger sense and it didn't really hurt me."

I could see my mother calming down a little but she was still throwing daggers at him with her eyes. If it was my dad here instead I think the doctor would be in pain right now. Yeah, dad would kick his ass.... probably.

The nurse came in and after a couple false starts because my force field came on until I had to keep concentrating for it not to come on, she was able to do a little cut using a scalpel as soon she did the cut the skin quickly closed down behind. Of course I didn't saw that because I was a bit occupied keeping my field off, keeping my eyes shut and enduring the FREAKING PAIN the bastard ordered to be inflicted upon me. The guy is a freaking sadist, he might not enjoy inflicting pain but have no qualms against ordering it to be done. Thankfully the pain didn't last, ending almost as fast as the darn scalpel left my skin.

With the test completed, my mom asked me if it hurt and I lied to her that it wasn't worst than than a paper cut, that seemed to calm her down a little. We turned to the doctor and he said.

"Apparently you do have a high level of regeneration, and probably that's why your changes were as fast as they were, usually changes like yours take several months up to years to completd, and you my dear, did so in about a day. Unfortunately we can't test for regen over regen 4, because the only way to do so would be nothing short of severing a limb and wait to see if it would grow back, and from the look at your mother's face I can safely assume that if I even consider doing something like that my life would be in define danger of an early expiration." He said and chuckled nervously.

"Anyway I'll have to put you down as a regen 4 for now because as I said, we can't test to see any higher. Usually the blood of a regenerator should be treated as toxic waste, as it can be quite dangerous, but that's not something to worry in your case."

"Why not?"

"Because it seems that as soon it loses contact with your skin, it disappears. At first I thought it could be a warper trait, but it seems to be magic that is doing that. Also, as I said before, regenerators can have a very long life."

"How long? A few decades more?"

"I would say at least a couple centuries more at least if you are a regen 4. If you are over that, you'll probably live even longer than that. In the end it will depend of the level of regeneration, in some extreme cases, nothing short of total disintegration can kill, but I wouldn't worry about it just yet. You'll certainty be tested again at Whateley and they will probably have more detailed results. Now for the other results, I classed you as an Exemplar 3, that means above human potential, but not too much overly so. Avatar 3 because of the spirit you are hosting. TK 5 as you were able to lift almost 5 tons when the field came on. What I noticed that you are not the regular TK Superman, not because you are a girl of course, but because your TK field isn't on all the time and their field are usually invisible, also surprisingly, after looking at the sensors data, your TK field is meshed with what I believe to be, magical illusions. I don't know why that is happening but it seems that is something you do unconsciously, like an innate ability, giving your constructs the ability to interact physically with the world around, also it seems to increase the level of control you have over your TK. This one I'm having difficulty to classify but I think I'll put you down as WIZ 3 for now. In the end I think you have a very nice power set. Also we found out that what you thought was a period actually it wasn't, it seems it wasn't nothing more than waste removal from the end of your transformation from the little we could analyze from the tampon you were using when you arrived and the exams showed that you seem to be in the beginning of your cycle."

"So that's why the tampon was clean when I went to check it. So you mean that the bloody mess I woke up to this morning was all that was left of the old me?"

"I think you could say that, not that I would put it that way."

My mother then turned to me and asked. "Melody, I heard what the doctor said but can you tell me what can you do with your powers? I am curious."

"Well... I host the spirit of a dead girl and she can talk to me in my head, I can fly and have a force field, I also can create solid illusions of whatever I can image and even move big stuff using those constructs."

"You know, the way you described your powers reminds me of the Green Lantern Guy from the comics." The doctor said.

"No, it is more like..... Wait a minute.... Shit! Shit! Shit! I'm a freaking pink lantern?"

  


  
To be continued….
  

Hi everyone, I hope you are still enjoying my little tale. Please give me your comments and opinions, and don't forget to press the little kudos button bellow.

I was almost forgetting, our heroine needs a code name. Suggestions are more than welcome. Of course if your code name is chosen I will give you my thanks to you on the top of the page in the next chapter. You can give your opinions in the comments section below.

up
284 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Even though

I knew it was coming it got a laugh out of me anyways. The Pink Lantern! :)
hugs
Grover

me too, Grover

"I'm a freaking pink lantern?" is an awesome line, worth the laugh.

DogSig.png

Thank you.

Thank you Grover and Dorothy, I'm glad you are still enjoying the story.

Hugs,
Andrea

thats better..

than the pink power ranger.
great job, thanks

Way cool

In blackest night, nothing stops pink lanterns light, right? I was rolling it was that good, yes I saw it coming about a mile away, who cares! done right it rocks!

Draflow

name her

Teek's picture

I don't see why you are asking us to name her when you already did; The Pink Lantern.

Keep writing.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

That would be one name she

That would be one name she wouldn't be able to use for fear of Copyright Infringement. That and the fact that the MCO would never allow it either.

Hugs,
Andrea

pink lantern !!!

tmf's picture

Yes a very pink ooups!! good story :)
as for the code name, i think you already found it pink lantern. That if unless DC Comics want to be pink-y about it.
of course with a disclaimer about cross word fan-fic, non profit stuff etc etc etc.....

Peace and Love
tmf

Yay! A pink Lantern

revolution's picture

Awesome way to bring the lantern power set to Whateley! Can't wait to read what her spirit desires to make her happy.

As for a name I would put up Dawn Sapphire. Star Sapphire is taken by the violet lantern corps in the DC universe and is also the name of green lanterns nemesis. Sapphire however is a good representation of the pink spectrum. Dawn represents the beginning of a new day or in Melody's case, a new life.

Great chapter.

Need an oath?

... at least she does not have to recharge a power ring.

Kim

Pink

Pinkerbell?

pink

pinkerton
pink love
pink fist
think pink
mega pink
pink crusader
pink vader
pink force
pink djin
pink star
pink heart
pinkidink
hey whatever
ed


ed

great story

ive injoyed reading and would offer 'the pink rose' or 'salior rose' or 'rose avenger' as a code name

Could be worse, could be plad ... The Plad Lantern ...

defender of lowball sleazy salesmen in tacky sport jackets!

As to a code name, you just know some joker is going to want to call her Pepto.

Hum, I think you said she is still her male height so she is fairly tall for a girl and had the start of a nice figure?

Barbie? Nah she's a blond. Um, she don't resemble a young version of old Spidy's Guy's girlfriend, does she?

I love how she and Mary are working things though.

I am a little ticked at mom for slapping a girl name on her so fast. Yes, you don't have a choice as a new born but she is almost an adult. At least she could have *persuaded* her it was a good choice.

Um, you did say Mary's name was Mary Sue?

O.M.G.! She's a Mary Sue ... see gamer speak.

I wonder, does anyone know of her death? Of her old family? Who might have killed her? As mutants tend to run in families to some extent might any of the current or former staff or students be blood relatives?

It would be nice if the long suffering spirit could get some closure, even spend some time talking through Melody to her parents or siblings if they are still alive.

And the apparent period was just part of her transformation so she still has THAT to look forward to. Oh joy! And as a high level regen it could well be a fast and furious-- IE painful -- one. PMS and the Pink Lantern? The mind boggles.

But then as several of my favorite characters have said "I don't suffer from PMS so much as those around me." I swear Jen Stevens said that in Zapped. And remember Bob always hoped to make her cannon Whateley.

With her looks, girlfriend and weird TK/magic constructs she is going to stand out of the crowd even at Whateley and that is saying something.

So off to Whateley soon with her girlfriend. Hope that works out.

Remember girls, easy on the PDAs.

Cute, funny fanfic with just enough darkness to fit the general Whateley scheme.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Minus Green

As you'd already written a few more chapters by the time I got around to reading this, chances are her codename's already been chosen.

But for amusement's sake, There is no pink light :)

(Well, strictly speaking, he's talking of this colour, magenta, which is white light with the green component removed.)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

aha....

the green challenged non-lantern!!

LOL! Cool and here we go...

In Glamest Day.
And By Neon lights.
No Nasty Skank shall escape my sight.
To those who give wedgies and pull on my tights.
Beware my glowiness!
Pink Lantern's Light!

Bailey Summers

Bailey!

You are so BAD!
Hugs
Grover

Code Name

Diesel Driver's picture

Obviously her code name should be "Code Pink".

Chris