Being Christina Chase | Chapter 18: Girls' Night Out

Printer-friendly version

        Nina stood on her tip-toes, stretching to slide a case of paper towels onto the top shelf. She didn't like working in the grocery store during vacations, but working with Christina was another matter entirely. "I wish you were staying longer." Nina said, placing the last case on the shelf. "Why didn't you take the whole week off?"

        "You should be glad they gave me any time off at all," Christina responded. "Things have just been crazy at work." The two girls had cleaned all through the excruciatingly slow morning hours and were now looking for any chores to keep themselves occupied.

        Nina, now finished with restocking, joined Christina in cleaning the glass cases next to the register. "Crazy how?" she asked.

        Christina shot a glance to the door behind the counter; there was no sign of her uncle. Even Boris, who was lying on a large mat by the door, was asleep. Christina grabbed Nina by the hand and pulled her to the far corner of the store next to the cereals and grains. "You can't tell anyone this, okay? Top Secret."

        Nina nodded and held up her hand, her fingers crossed.

        Christina whispered, "The company I work for is running out of money. A lot of people have already left."

        "Are they going out of business?"

        Christina shook her head. "No, but they aren't hiring anybody to replace the people we lost, so I have to work like insane hours, and Saturdays too."

        "That's crazy!" Nina exclaimed.

        "See? That's what I mean. That's why I didn't come back sooner."

        "I thought maybe ..." Nina started.

        "What?"

        Nina frowned and said, "I thought you maybe didn't want to visit anymore. I mean, you didn't call for a long time or return any of my messages."

        Christina put her hand on Nina's shoulder. "That's not it at all. I love staying here. And Nina, you've got to be my best friend in the whole world."

        "Really?"

        "Yes really." Christina beamed. "But," she said returning to her serious tone, "It's going to keep being crazy, at least until January. We're supposed to get funding next year, and then everything will be back to normal. Until then, I have to keep on working long hours."

        Nina asked, "Can you do the same stuff as the people who left?"

        Christina's face went flush with embarrassment. "I'm not exactly a secretary. I do all kinds of technical stuff, the same stuff as the men used to. That's not important right now. The important thing is, I can't stay as long as I want to for now."

        "What about Christmas?" Nina asked.

        "I'll be here for Christmas one way or another. I promise. But, you can't tell anyone about the money problems okay?"

        "Okay," Nina nodded, "I promise."

        "Your father already gave me a lecture last night," Christina griped. "He said I have to find a new job, and now I'm not even allowed to ride the train at night anymore."

        "Yeah," Nina commiserated, "I hate it when he gets like that. No dating! No staying out late! He doesn't talk to Andrei that way."

        "At least you can date now," Christina smiled.

        "Yeah, but that's only because of you," Nina said appreciatively. The two girls came out of their hiding place and returned to their cleaning. "You know, you don't have to do anything Dad says," Nina added.

        "I know," Christina sighed. "There's just something about the way he says things that makes me ... I dunno. I wouldn't want to disobey him."

        Nina rolled her eyes. "I know what you mean. One time when I was ten, I snuck out of the house to play with my friends after dark. Not even after dark, it was dusk!"

        "What happened?"

        "Dad tracked me down to the park, and he actually spanked me," Nina stated matter-of-factly.

        "No way!" Christina whispered.

        "Yeah, right in front of all my friends too. And really hard."

        "Your father doesn't seem like the spanking type to me."

        "It was only that once," Nina explained, "And believe me, once was all it took."

        "Wow, I never would have guessed." Changing the subject, Christina offered, "Hey, I'm going to Steph's after work to get my hair done. Do you want to come?"

        "I would love to," Nina responded, "But I already have plans."

        Christina raised her eyebrow and quipped, "What kinda plans?"

        Nina folded her washcloth in her hands and said, "I'm going over to David's later. He's going to help me with Trigonometry."

        Christina squinted at her cousin and asked, "Since when have you ever needed help with math? You're like some kinda math genius."

        Nina grinned dreamily, "Yeah, but David doesn't need to know that ..."

        Christina gasped and pushed Nina playfully. "You sneak! You really like this guy, don't you?"

        "I do," Nina admitted. She closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around herself. "When David kisses me, it feels good all over."

        "Just what kinda kissing are we talking about?" Christina asked incredulously.

        Nina opened her eyes and said, "The same way you kissed Richard."

        Christina flashed back to her kiss and the tingly feelings it produced in her. She snapped out of her recollection and protested, "Okay number one, Richard kissed me- I had nothing to do with it."

        Nina raised her eyebrow and grinned at her cousin.

        Christina blushed as she refuted, "And it was not the kind of kiss you thought it was!" Of course, it had been, but Christina did not want to admit she'd let Richard French kiss her.

        "Anyway," Nina continued, "David's picking me up later."

        "He can drive already?" Christina asked.

        "Yeah." Nina responded.

        "Nina," Christina started seriously, "You have to be careful with boys. Especially older boys. Don't let him go too far. I know it can feel really good, and it's exciting, but don't let David push you into things you're not ready for yet."

        "You sound just like Mom."

        "Well, that's because your mother is right," Christina stated.

        Alek walked in from the back room, hearing the last comment. "Your mother is always right," he joked.

        Nina sat on the counter next to the register and said, "Like when she said there was no point opening the store the day after Thanksgiving?"

        Alek looked around the deserted store and smiled. "I got a lot of work done for a change." He examined the glass display case and the rest of the store. "And this place has never looked better." Opening the cash register, he removed the till. "I suppose since it is almost time to go, and according to your mother, no one is coming anyway, we could close early."

 

        Shortly after Alek had finished counting out the till, a black Jeep pulled in front of the store. Nina bent down for her book bag as David trudged through the snow and entered the grocery. Alek gave the boy a smoldering glare.

        David shoved his hands into his pockets and called to Nina, "Are you ready, babe?"

        Nina skipped over and held David's hand. "Yeah, let's go."

        "Nina," Alek called forcefully to his daughter, "You will be home at six-thirty for dinner."

        "But Dad!" Nina whined, but her father's stare cut her protest short. "Yes Daddy," she grumbled.

        As the two left the store, Christina watched them suspiciously as they got into the Jeep and drove away. She turned to her uncle and repeated incredulously, "'Babe'? Did he actually call her 'babe'?"

        Alek raised his thick finger and said, "Nina has been dating that boy ever since you left. Going out on a few dates is one thing, but she is getting too serious too fast."

        Christina thought back to the movie theater last summer. While she had tried to watch David and Nina, half the time she had been too busy fighting off Richard. It was the same thing at the fireworks; Christina spent that night alternatively scanning the crowd for Richard and trying to get Steph's attention. She wasn't sure what sort of boy David really was. "You might be right," Christina agreed.

        "And I do not trust that boy," Alek said gravely.

        "I wouldn't have trusted me at that age either."

        Alek smiled at his niece and asked, "You were boy-crazy too when you were Nina's age?"

        Christina blushed. She had been comparing herself to David, not Nina. She gulped and said, "Yeah, I suppose I was."

        "Ah, then perhaps I should not despair. You've grown into a fine young woman." Alek kissed Christina on the cheek and she instantly melted.

        Alek took most of the money from the till and stuffed it into a dark blue deposit bag. Dropping the deposit slip in with the money, he zipped the bag and headed for the door. "I will be back very soon," he announced, putting on his coat. He left the store and headed through the snow to the bank.

        Christina slid the till back into the register and took stock of her cleaning. The store really had never looked better, at least not in her experience. Stepping into the back room, she checked herself in the mirror. She was wearing a long gray skirt topped by a thick, multicolored turtleneck sweater. She fussed with her hair and fixed her makeup, wanting to look good for her appointment with Steph. If there is a God, she thought, Steph will be a lesbian. Christina was knocked out of that happy dream when she heard the bell mounted on the front door jingle, signaling a customer.

        She went to the front and stood behind the counter. She saw a man in an expensive overcoat examining the apples. She called out, "Is there anything I can help you with?"

        The man turned around, and Christina's smile dissipated when she saw Richard's smug grin. Richard swaggered to the counter and said, "I heard you were back in town, so I thought I'd stop by."

        Christina squinted her eyes angrily at the well-dressed man and spat, "I believe we had a chat last time you saw me about ... oh what was it ... on the tip of my tongue ... that's right- about staying away from me forever?"

        Richard laughed heartily, "Forever is a long time, and seeing as you haven't had me killed as of yet, I take that to mean you're happy to see me."

        Christina fumed, burning with anger. She wondered, was there no end to this man's arrogance? "I'm not happy to see you," she growled, "I am NEVER happy to see you. Do you get it yet?"

        Richard flashed Christina his insidiously charming grin and said, "I'll have to be happy for the both of us. So ... What time do you get off work?" Richard leaned in closer across the counter, making Christina very nervous.

        She asked, "What makes you think I'd ever go out with you again after the way you acted?"

        Richard raised his right hand and said, "I'll behave. Scout's honor."

        "Look," she stumbled, "You're wasting your time. I have a boyfriend now."

        "Really," Richard grinned, "What color are his eyes this time?"

        "Brown," Christina snapped.

        Richard didn't miss a beat. He fired back, "It must be very serious if you can remember the color of your make-believe boyfriend's eyes."

        Christina clenched her fists under the counter in rage. She was about to explode, but then her face softened. "Oh, he's real. He's very real. He slept over just last night."

        Richard raised an eyebrow and mumbled, "Oh really ..."

        "Yes," Christina purred, "Perhaps you two should meet. Oh Boris!"

        Boris got up off of his matt and walked next to Christina. Richard saw the dog, and his confident grin returned. It was cut short when Christina tapped the counter and Boris jumped up, resting his front two paws on it. The German shepherd was gargantuan; standing on his hind legs with his front paws resting on the counter, Boris' head was well above Christina's elbow.

        "Richard," Christina said sweetly, "I'd like you to meet Boris- the man in my life."

        Richard coughed nervously, but maintained his composure. He leaned back across the counter towards Christina and said, "I'm sure Boris wouldn't mind if-" but the large dog stopped him in his tracks with a prolonged baritone growl.

        "Oh, I think he might," Christina whispered malevolently.

        Richard backed up two full steps and asked, "Is he well trained?"

        "Oh yeah ... Boris here is a regular puppy-dog Einstein. He knows all sorts of commands for kill, maim, destroy ... and I'm sure there's one for stop-hurting-the-lawyer, but I'll be damned if I forgot to ask which one that is."

        Richard straightened his tie, gathered his courage, and pressed, "Why don't you introduce me to your friend, and we can talk about the magic word later." Richard walked back to the counter but stopped when Boris growled and flashed his teeth.

        Christina stroked the thick fur on Boris' head and announced, "We're closing for the night, so if you're not going to buy anything, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

         "Fair enough," Richard answered. He looked around the store and said, "I do, in fact, have a purchase to make."

        Christina watched him suspiciously as he went to the back of the store and pulled a package out of one of the refrigerated cases. She heard him open the plastic, though she couldn't see what he was doing.

        Richard returned to the counter, holding five slices of roast beef from a bag of cold cuts. "Hey Boris," he said in a friendly tone, "Who's your new buddy?" Richard held out the meat to the dog, his hand shaking slightly. Boris sniffed the meat and his ears perked up.

        The large dog looked up at Christina.

        "Don't you dare!" Christina whispered angrily to the dog.

        Boris quickly snatched the slices of roast beef and retired to his mat.

        Turning to the dog, Christina growled, "You traitor! I can't believe you!" She turned back to deal with Richard, finding him leaning over the counter, his lips only a few inches away from her own. Christina backed up until her body collided with the wall.

        "So," Richard asked with new found confidence, "What are you doing tonight?"

        Christina stuttered, "I'm washing my hair."

        "What about tomorrow?" he beamed.

        "Yeah, um, lemme think- still washing my hair."

        Undaunted, he pressed on, "And on Sunday?"

        "I'm a lather-rinse-repeat kinda girl."

        Richard laughed and conceded, "Okay, I get the hint. I know when to give up." He looked into Christina's eyes with a serious gaze that nearly knocked her over. He said, "Just so you know, I haven't been able to get you out of my head. I want to see you again. If you change your mind, give me a call. Anytime."

        He reached into his wallet and took out a twenty-dollar bill. Placing the money and the rest of the cold cuts on the counter, he said, "Please give Boris these for me." He flashed Christina his pearly whites one last time, then strode confidently out of the store.

        Waiting until after Richard had walked around the corner, Christina leapt to the door and flipped the sign to "Closed." She shot a paranoid glance out the window then dropped the blinds and fastened the two locks. Feeling somewhat relieved, she leaned her back against the door and exhaled. A sudden knock on the door was all it took to make her jump out of her skin.

        "You have to go away now!" she shouted nervously.

        "Tina," Alek called from outside, "Open the door."

        Christina spun around on her heels, unlocked the locks, and opened the door.

        Alek was shocked by the crazed expression on his niece's face and asked, "What is going on?"

        Christina didn't answer. She took her uncle's hand and pulled him though the doorway. Poking her head out of the store, she checked in both directions to see whether Richard was lurking. The coast clear, she pushed the door closed behind her and locked it.

        "Tina!" Alek exclaimed, "What has gotten into you?"

        Christina held her palms against her temples and complained, "Richard was just in here."

        "Richard?" Alek asked.

        Christina sighed, "The man who took me out to the movies."

        Alek held her by her elbows and asked, "Did he ... do anything to you?"

        "Yes!" Christina whined.

        Alek's voice filled with concern for his niece. "What did he do child?"

        Christina frowned and said, "He asked me out on a date."

        "And?" Alek asked intently.

        Christina crossed her arms and complained, "And? And! And that's it! He asked me out on a date!"

        "So ..." Alek repeated, trying to grasp the situation, "Richard came into the store ... to ask you out on a date."

        "Yes!"

        "And you told him ...?"

        Christina stamped her foot and said, "I said no! Absolutely not!"

        Alek's eyebrow crept up his forehead. "And then what did he do?"

        Christina shook her head and said, "Well ... He left."

        Alek recounted, "So Richard came to ask you out, and then you said no, and then he left."

        "Yes!" Christina exhaled in vindication.

        Alek broke out in a booming laugh. "Tina," he explained, "You are a beautiful, young girl. Men are going to seek your attention!"

        Christina crossed her arms and frowned. Her uncle didn't understand at all, she thought. "Uncle Alek," Christina asked, "Will you walk me to Steph's salon?"

        "Tina," Alek admonished.

        Christina grabbed Alek's hand with both of hers and pouted, "Please Uncle Alek?"

        Alek sighed, then smiled at his niece, conceding, "Anything for my sweet Tina."

        Christina waited while Alek turned out the lights and locked up the store. Once the task was complete, Christina, Alek, and Boris stepped outside into the falling snow. Christina wrapped her arms around her uncle's thick arm and nuzzled close to him. As the two walked together through town, she kept an eye out for Richard. Her uncle didn't realize how dangerous he was, but she did. When they reached the salon, Christina kissed her uncle goodbye and went inside.

        Steph was sitting in the deserted reception area with her feet up on the table of magazines. She tossed aside her issue of Newsweek when Christina entered the store.

        Christina's eyes drank Steph in. She was wearing an old pair of jeans and a Rolling Stones concert t-shirt. The red stripe in her short brown hair looked deliciously punk.

        Before Christina could say a word, Steph stated, "You're late."

        "Oh, sorry," Christina apologized as she hung her jacket on the coat rack, "I would have been here sooner, but I got cornered by Richard."

        "It must be nice havin' the world beat a path to your door," Steph quipped, "But then, you are the better mouse trap."

        "What?" Christina laughed.

        Steph forced a smile and said, "Nothing. Don't mind me, I'm just in a lousy mood. Lisa's out of town for the holidays, and I've been here alone all day."

        Steph led Christina to the shampoo area and sat her down in one of the chairs. Mechanically tying an apron over Christina's sweater, Steph lowered Christina backward until her head was over the sink.

        Christina tried to enjoy the sensation of Steph's fingers massaging her scalp, but she couldn't shake the feeling that Steph was unhappy about something.

        "I'm sorry if I made you stay late," Christina said as Steph rinsed her hair, "I didn't realize that the whole town stayed home today. In the city, everyone is out shopping the day after Thanksgiving."

        Steph squeezed the water out of Christina's hair and unceremoniously pushed her upright. "It's not a problem," she said. Without waiting for Christina to get up, Steph went to a salon chair and motioned for Christina to sit. "So, what do we want today?" Steph chirped, with a slight hint of her normal, friendly demeanor.

        Pulling the dog-eared copy of Vogue out of her bag, Christina sat in the chair and flipped through the pages. She pointed at a picture of a model with short hair that ended in cascades of curls. "I was thinking about something like this. What do you think?"

        Steph snatched the magazine and gave it the once-over. She cocked her head and scoped out Christina's hair. "Yeah we can do this," she said as she leaned against the counter in front of the mirrors. "But why did you come here for it?"

        Christina grinned and answered, "Because you're the best stylist I've ever had."

        Steph stepped around Christina's back and flicked up the tails of Christina's wet hair. "You obviously saw someone, what- a few days ago?" It was true; Christina had the full treatment with Lucille at the Transformations Boutique. "So," Steph repeated, "What are you doing here?"

        Christina wanted to tell Steph she was there because she found Steph mesmerizing; that Steph was never far from her thoughts, and that she'd never met anyone she wanted more than her. Of course, she couldn't tell her any of that. "Other than my family," Christina stuttered, "You're the only person in town I really know. I ... I guess I missed you."

        Steph looked, wide eyed, through the mirror at Christina. "You missed me?" she repeated.

        Christina wanted to tell Steph that she longed to be around her, but what came out was, "Yeah. I mean, I don't really have any friends in the city."

        Steph was taken aback. "That's kinda of a surprise considering that you won top billing in the first annual Miss Oak Grove Contest."

        "Yeah well, it's not anything I'm used to."

        Steph ruffled through the drawers in the counter, pulling out scissors, curlers, and other supplies. Turning back to Christina, she leaned against the counter with her arms crossed. "You really expect me to believe that a leggy blonde bombshell like you has any problems being noticed?"

        Christina squirmed, "Things weren't always, you know, like this."

        "So how were they like?" Steph snapped. "You pull a Tilt-a-Whirl into a tree, then you've got Andr ... this town eating out of your hand. What were things like before that?"

        Christina took a deep breath. She didn't like to talk about her past, but for some reason she didn't understand, Steph was mad at her. "You know," Christina started, "This place, these people ... I don't really know how I'm supposed to be. I grew up around military bases, and stuff like that."

        "You were an Army brat?"

        "Not exactly," Christina continued, "My dad wasn't in the military, but he worked for them doing some kinda research or something."

        "Your father is a rocket scientist or something?" Steph joked.

        Christina shrugged under her apron. "I dunno. Maybe. He wasn't allowed to talk about it. So, my mom and dad and I, we went from place to place; wherever they sent my dad. Sometimes it was near big cities and other times there was nothing around but the base. I didn't live in the army housing, so I never really met any other kids. And every time I started to fit in at school, you know, it was time to leave again. After a while I kinda just stopped trying. It was a lot easier to be invisible. You know, it was like, why try to make any friends when you know you're gonna be gone in a year? Honestly, all the attention I get here makes me feel really uncomfortable." She looked down at her toes.

        Steph's expression lightened a bit. "So why aren't you spending the holidays with the folks?"

        Christina reached under her smock and rested her hand on her chest above her necklace. "It's not important," Christina shrugged.

        Steph cocked her head and pressed, "What, you don't like 'em or something?"

        Christina looked up directly into Steph's eyes. "My Dad died when I was eleven."

        "Oh," Steph said guiltily. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to-"

        "It's okay. You didn't know."

        "How did he die?"

        "The house we were renting burned down. My dad ..." Christina took a deep breath and started again. "You know, you come home from school one day, and it's just all gone."

        "Everything?" Steph gasped.

        "Yeah," Christina shrugged, as if it were no great thing. "That's just life, right? You always lose everything. It's just a question of when."

        Steph couldn't conceive of losing everything she owned in the world, and her father, all in the same day. "You still got your Mom though, right?" Steph asked hopefully.

        "Not exactly."

        "Jeeze, don't tell me she died in the fire too."

        "No, no ... nothing like that. My Mom's still alive." Christina assured Steph. "My Mom and I bounced around for a while after that. She got remarried, and we tried to live a normal, suburban life like on TV."

        "That don't sound too bad."

        "My stepfather and I ... Let's just say we had some problems." Christina felt a tear coming on, but she fought it.

        "What kinda problems?"

        "I really don't want to get into it," Christina said as a single tear escaped from the corner of her eye. "The short story is, I left."

        "You ran away?"

        "Kinda. I mean, it's not like I snuck out in the middle of the night or anything. I just left."

        "How old were you when you left?"

        "Seventeen."

        "What?" Steph gasped. "You moved out when you were only seventeen? Your Mom let you leave?"

        "Yeah. That's when I moved to the city."

        "Okay, so let me get this straight- When you were seventeen years old, you moved into the city? By yourself?"

        "Yeah."

        Steph threw her hands up in the air and exclaimed, "And your mother didn't do anything?"

        "We don't really talk anymore."

        "Jesus!" Steph exclaimed. "You're practically an orphan!"

        "I dunno." Christina shrugged. "I guess I used to be. But then, it's like it all changed one day." Christina closed her eyes and smiled. "I have a family now. I love Nina so much I just can't tell you. And Andrei ... I mean I never knew what it was like to have a big brother until I met him."

        "I didn't realize ..."

        Christina opened her eyes and looked back at Steph. "I know that's all probably juicy gossip, but could we keep that between just us?"

        "Yeah, sure thing," Steph nodded. "Strictly off the record." She jumped to Christina's side with her usual zest and snatched the magazine out of her lap. She draped her arm around Christina's shoulder and flipped the Vogue open to the page they were looking at. "This hair," Steph explained, "Will look great on you, except it's too short." Steph ran her finger down the model's neck and stopped at the shoulder. "For you, it stops here."

        "Why?"

        "Because Blondie, tall, skinny chicks and long hair is like peanut better and jelly. You should let it grow out even more. So, you ready to get beautiful?"

        Happy to have the old Steph back, Christina nodded affirmatively.

        Savoring the feelings of Steph manipulating her hair, Christina spent the next forty-five minutes in bliss. All the months she'd spent away from Oak Grove hadn't diminished the attraction she felt to Steph. If anything, spending time alone with her, in such close contact, only heightened her feelings. Christina felt a twinge of disappointment when Steph finished and removed her apron.

        Christina stood up and admired her hair in the mirror. It was even better than she had imagined. Her usually flat hair had more volume; it fell cleanly to her shoulders where it broke out into cascades of wide curls. Unlike her first visit to Steph's salon, Christina didn't look upon her reflection in shame. Part of her was actually proud of the way Steph had made her look.

        "Wow," Christina exclaimed, "It's amazing!"

        Resting her hands behind her head, Steph spun in an adjacent chair. "It's hard to have these powers," she joked, "I promise to use them for good, and never evil."

        "I'm sorry I made you stay late today," Christina apologized.

        "Don't sweat it. It's not like there's a lot to do in this town anyway."

        "Hey why don't you let me ... that is if you want to," Christina stammered, "Maybe we could grab something to eat?"

        "Sounds good to me. Just let me take care of a few things."

        As Christina waited patiently, Steph flipped off all the lights and brushed the hair on the floor into a dustbin. When she was done, Steph grabbed a thick parka of the coat rack and wrapped it around her tiny frame.

        Christina slid on her peacoat, and the two girls went out into the cold towards the diner.

        Steph noticed Christina shivering and said, "Don't get me wrong, I dig the threads, but aren't you dressing a little light?"

        Christina rubbed her hands together and answered, "I didn't realize it would be this cold. It hasn't even snowed once in the city yet."

        Steph broke out into a fast jog and shouted, "Let's get to Margie's before you freeze to death!"

        Christina did her best to chase after Steph. While learning to walk in women's shoes came easily, running in her high heeled boots, through the snow, was another matter entirely. It was all Christina could do just to keep up. Steph was already leaning against the open door by the tine Christina reached the diner.

        When the two of them entered the building they were immediately noticed. "Evenin', Steph!" Marge called, as she came out from behind the counter. She squinted at Christina and guessed, "And it's Christina, right?"

        Christina nodded.

        "Margie, this is the famous, Miss Christina Chase," Steph said as she presented Christina to the shop owner. "We were in here with Andrei that time."

        "That's right," Marge said as she recalled seeing them togther.

        Steph turned to Christina and said, "See, Margie here is a decent human being, not a soulless gossip like the rest of us."

        "Stephanie, I swear, the things that come out of your mouth," Marge said through her laughter. "Grab a seat anywhere you like. I guess everyone is at home having turkey sandwiches today."

        The girls sat down at one of the many empty booths and waited for Marge to bring them menus.

        Sitting there, alone with Steph, it almost felt to Christina as though they were out on a date. Falling into her old first date patterns, Christina tried not to appear too eager, though her hands were sweaty and she kept fiddling with the silverware.

        Marge came by with their menus and two glasses of water. Christina was too nervous to read anything, so she fell back on her old standby. She put the menu down and asked Marge, "Could I get a bacon cheeseburger, medium rare, a root beer, and a side of onion rings? Oh, and no pickles on the burger?"

        Marge nodded and wrote down the order.

        "Well, a girl's got to eat!" Steph exclaimed.

        Christina blushed, worried that her order was out of place.

        Steph folder her menu on top of Christina's and announced, "Make mine the same, lose the sausage, well done, and change the rings for fries."

        Marge jotted down Steph's order and then back behind the counter.

        "Man, am I glad you didn't order a salad," Steph joked, "'Cause then I'd have to get a salad, and then I'd have to beat you to death with a sack of doorknobs."

        Christina laughed hysterically. Steph had a way of breaking the ice no matter what the situation. "I went on a diet last summer," Christina confessed, "And I thought I was going to die."

        "Trust me- you're plenty skinny," Steph said, "You need a hamburger. Maybe directly in an IV."

        Noticing the sun was going down, Christina pulled out her cell phone and dialed home. She told her uncle that she was out with Steph, and wouldn't be home for dinner.

        After Christina put away her phone, Steph asked, "You still have to check in?"

        Rolling her eyes, Christina said, "Yeah, I do. It's kinda annoying, but it's also nice that someone cares, you know?"

        Steph nodded.

        "Where are your parents?" Christina asked. "Do they live around here?"

        "Oh sure," Steph said, "They live right outside of town. My folks own my building. When they retired I turned the place into a salon, and I moved into the apartment on the second floor."

        "What did it used to be?"

        "It used to be a hardware store. I spent all of high school selling nails, not doing them."

        "I just can't picture you working in a hardware store."

        "I hated it. Just thinking of the smell of rubber and sawdust makes me feel like tossing my cookies. But, it did teach me how to run a business. And there were other perks ..."

        "Like what?"

         Leaning forward, placing her elbows on the table and holding her head in her palms, Steph looked up dreamily and said, "Your cousin used to come into that store almost every single week. He always needed something, and I was more than happy to give it to him. I actually memorized the differences between kinds of drill bits just so I had something to talk about with him."

        Marge arrived with their burgers, and she placed them on the table. She asked, "Anything else I can get for you?"

        "No, thank you," Christina smiled.

        After Marge left, Steph sighed, "But I was just the girl in the hardware store. Don't get me wrong, I flirted my ass off." Steph looked at Christina with the most serious look Christina had ever seen and asked, "Have you ever spent all day making yourself look good just so maybe you'd get one single compliment?"

        Christina slapped her hand on the table and exclaimed, "Oh my God, yes! And it KILLS you when they don't even notice!"

        "Thank you," Steph said holding out her hand. "All Andrei ever did was brag about his projects. It was always a shelf or a desk or something."

        "His stuff really is amazing though."

        "What? You've seen it?"

        "Andrei restored an incredible antique vanity for me, and made me this amazing bed-"

        Steph's jaw dropped. "He made you a bed? Like, a whole bed? With his hands?"

        "Yeah, you wouldn't believe it. It's got a canopy and everything. He must have worked all summer. When I was here for the Fourth, he surprised me. He painted my room, and had the vanity and the bed waiting for me. It was the sweetest thing ever."

        Steph shoved her cheeseburger into her mouth and bit off an enormous bite as though she was plugging up her mouth to keep something from coming out.

        Eager to change the subject from Andrei to anything else, Christina asked, "So, your parents just stay at home now?"

        "Nah," Steph responded, "They run a strawberry farm. It's not big or anything, but it keeps them busy and makes some bucks."

        "Are you serious?" Christina grinned.

        "Yeah. You should come pick some next year. The whole town comes by to pick their own strawberries. It's a riot."

        Christina sat back and said, "I just don't get it! Everyone around here has their own businesses and these creative and interesting jobs."

        "Getting tired of rat racing it in the city?"

        "I sit in a dark cubicle in an old factory for twelve hours a day. In front of a computer- all day! And I commute over an hour, one way, for that privilege. All that, and I can just barely get by."

        "Well," Steph said, "If you don't like it, why don't you just stop?"

        "And do what?"

        "I dunno. Whatever you want. There's room for one more around here. I mean, don't get me wrong- life moves slowly in a small town. It ain't the big city."

        Christina shook her head. "I couldn't do that."

        Steph shot back, "You don't like it here?"

        "I love it."

        "And your family is right here in town?"

        "Yeah, but-"

        "And," Steph interrupted, "You don't like your job."

        "I didn't say I didn't like it."

        Steph shot Christina a knowing look.

        "Okay, so no," Christina conceded.

        "Well then don't quit your job and don't stay here, cause then you might just be happy or something, and that would suck."

        Christina changed the subject again, and the two girls chatted through the rest of the meal. Christina fought the temptation to tell Steph that she was really a boy. Not only would it open the possibility of something more between them, but Christina desperately wanted someone to understand exactly what it was she'd been going through. As much as she wanted to tell Steph, Christina couldn't think of any way to tell Steph the truth that didn't involve Steph freaking out and never talking to her again.

        After eating a few of her onion rings, Christina pushed her plate away. She could feel her cincher tightly binding her waist. "I used to be able to eat two whole plates of these things," she complained.

        Marge came over with the check and asked, "You two want any dessert?"

        "Dessert!" Steph laughed, "Jeeze Margie, are you trying to kill us?"

        After they paid, Christina stared out into the darkness outside the diner.

        "So whatcha gonna do for the rest of the night?" Steph asked.

        "I dunno. Just go home and hang out I guess. You know the Levchenko's are pretty old fashioned. They don't even have a television."

        "No TV!" Steph balked. "Okay, Blondie," Steph said, jumping up and taking Christina by the hand, "You're coming with me."

        The two girls ran from the diner into the night. The clouds were dusting the town with a new coating of white as the snowflakes waltzed in the streetlights.

        Christina was freezing and almost out of breath when they got back to Steph's salon.

        Taking out her keys, Steph opened the solid metal door next to the salon and went into the vestibule.

        Christina waited for Steph to gather her mail, then followed her upstairs to the second floor. Christina's shivering subsided when she entered the warm apartment. She was shocked by the sheer size of the place, which was at least three times the size of her apartment back in the city. The living room was carpeted from wall to wall, and there was a modest entertainment system across from a beat-up couch. The walls were adorned with pictures, and the room was lined with plants. Its style sat on the border of old-time homey and kitschy chic. It was definitely Steph's apartment.

        "Grab a seat," Steph chirped as she tossed her parka onto an old rocking char.

        Christina took off her jacket and sat on the couch.

        Steph hopped over the top of the couch and sat next to Christina. Pulling a large remote out of the couch cushions, she turned on the television. She flipped through the channels and stopped on one of the classic movie stations.

        "I love Sabrina," Steph remarked, "Something about Audrey Hepburn ... I just dig her. You ever see this one?"

        "I think I saw the remake?"

        "Then you never saw it. This is the real deal." Steph hopped off the couch and called, "Hold on I'll be right back," as she went to the kitchen.

        Christina looked around and sighed. She should have been thrilled to be in Steph's apartment, but things had essentially degenerated into girl time. After all, Christina thought, who really wants to go to the slumber party if you have to play along as one of the girls? Still, girl time with Steph was better than no time with Steph.

        Steph came back into the room grinning madly and carrying a tray holding a jug, two glasses, and a bottle of water. She placed it on the end table and started pouring a clear liquid from the jug into the glasses. She put some water into her glass and a lot into Christina's.

        "What are you doing?" Christina asked.

        Steph handed the glass to Christina and said, "Giving you a fighting chance." Steph took a sip and motioned for Christina to do the same.

        Christina took a small sip and smiled. "This tastes pretty good. What is it?"

        "Apple schnapps." Steph raised her glass and announced, "Tonight, we're spelling classy with a 'K'"

        Christina laughed and took a larger drink.

        "Hold up Blondie," Steph warned, "This stuff is homemade and strong as hell. I know it don't taste like much, but take it easy."

        Christina nodded and took another sip. After nursing their drinks for twenty minutes Steph had a good buzz going and Christina was bordering on inebriation.

        "It's just crazy," Christina slurred, "Sabrina comes back from Paris, and it's like she's a completely different person, I mean NOBODY recognizes her."

        "She was gone for like two years."

        "Yeah, but it's like, SO obviously still her ... and NOBODY gets it. I totally know how that is."

        "Whadya mean?" Steph asked.

        "It's like when I crashed my car. It's like I woke up the next day, and I was in Paris."

        "You mean, you just got back from Paris." Steph corrected.

        "Right. I just got back. That's what I meant," Christina laughed. "And everyone's all like, 'Christina' this and 'Christina' that, like I'm supposed to be this different person now."

        Steph laughed and smacked Christina with a pillow. "You're drunk!" she accused.

        Closing one eye and holding her forefinger to her thumb, Christina confessed, "Just a little." She took another sip and continued, "It was like, from day one, I was drafted into the family. Nina was just like right there and ... boom ... I had a sister just like that." Christina snapped her fingers. "And a mom, and a dad, and a dog even."

        "And a brother," Steph added taking a sip from her glass.

        "Nooo." Christina corrected, leaning backwards. "Andrei HATED me."

        "Really?"

        "He couldn't STAND me. I mean, I was scared of him. Seriously terrified."

        "That doesn't sound like Andrei."

        "It's not like him really, but it was, you know? I mean he's great now, but back then he was all like, 'That's Anastasia's room you're sleeping in and not yours!'" Christina raised her hand in a fist high above her head.

        "Andrei changed after his sister died," Steph explained. "He got really quiet. And he kept to himself. I think he took it pretty hard."

        "Yeah, he must have. The dirty looks he gave me- I can't even tell you. And he took me to the spot where my accident was, so I could like, look for my suitcase, and it was down this hill so, he was all like, 'Go get it yourself!' And I fell down the hill and I just started ... crying like crazy ... cause he was just so mean to me."

        "That time in the diner, when your makeup was running?" Steph asked.

        "Right." Christina put her glass down on the table and sat indian style on the couch facing Steph. "He hated me sooo much."

        "Are you sure?"

        "One night in the kitchen he grabbed me, and shook me, and started screaming, 'Who are you really!' and all this really intense stuff. I mean, it was crazy."

        Steph hiccupped and asked, "Why would he do something like that?"

        Christina waved her hand dismissively and stated, "He heard me talking to the dog and freaked out. It was all a big misunderstanding."

        "He overheard you talking to the dog? And then he thought you were someone else?" Steph asked in a confused voice.

        "Exactly. Everyone else was all like, 'Hey Tina, take your coat off and stay a while.' But Andrei was like, 'Get out of town or else!'"

        "Well, what changed?"

        Christina shrugged. "He said Anastasia was back in the house again, and then he was super nice ever since."

        "Anastasia back in the house?" Steph pondered. She giggled and said, "You are so drunk." She got up and retrieved a box of crackers from the kitchen, placed them in Christina's lap, and took her drink away. "Eat these," she commanded.

        Christina started munching on the saltines and announced seriously, "I like apple schnapps."

        Steph laughed and agreed, "Yeah we all do, but you're a lightweight."

        Christina took a break to munch on her crackers then continued her story. "Yeah, so then Andrei stopped hating me. I was so depressed cause my car was broken, and I was like, gonna lose my job and stuff. So Andrei took me up into the barn and held me under the stars and was like, 'It's going to be fine and stuff.'"

        "He held you under the stars?" Steph shouted.

        Christina wrapped her arms around herself and said, "Yeah he went from cranky-boy to sweet-boy just like that."

        Steph rolled her eyes and balked, "That's just perfect!"

        "It made me feel better, but I was like, you know, the car's still busted, it doesn't change anything." Christina reached out and touched Steph on the hand. "So Andrei, in the middle of the night, gives Mr. Conrad the desk he was working on for like months, so he can use the garage. And he drives for hours to get the parts for my car, and then he fixed it himself. It's like I woke up the next morning, and it was a miracle."

        Steph slapped her hand to her forehead and sunk into the couch. "Oh God, I wish I hated you."

        Christina sat up, munching her crackers, and asked, "You want to hate me?"

        "Yeah," Steph responded, "But I don't. Hell, I LIKE you."

        Christina whined, "Why do you want to hate me?"

        "Oh, come on. Don't you think it's obvious when someone has the hots for someone else?"

        Christina winced, thinking Steph was on to her. "Look it's not what you think. I'm really a-"

        "It is SO what I think! Andrei is completely, hearts-a-flutter, in love with you."

        Christina stared wide eyed at Steph then broke out into intoxicated laughter. "No he's not!"

        "Yes he so is! What is this?" Steph complained, "Something genetic with your family? You people can't tell when someone wants you?"

        Christina laughed some more, then stopped when she saw the tears roll down Steph's face. "No," she insisted, "Andrei is like my brother. I probably just remind him of Anastasia."

        "Okay! Number one," Steph cried, "You are night-and-day-different than Anastasia. And number two, I saw him looking at you at the fireworks. He is one hundred percent in love with you."

        Christina looked up into the air and pondered that possibility. Could Andrei actually be in love with her? The very idea was ludicrous.

        "I mean, I know this crush I have on your cousin is just stupid," Steph sobbed, "But I can't make it go away. Have you ever dreamed about someone? Just wanted to be around them? Even if it was just to be around them, and nothing else?"

        Christina looked longingly at Steph and responded, "I know exactly how that feels."

        "But he doesn't want me. He's in love with you. It's like I don't even exist! I mean, I can see why he wants you ... You're prettier than me. I'm always going to be Steph at the hardware store."

        Christina scooched across the couch and wrapped her arms around Steph's shoulders. "You're more than just hardware-Steph. And you are so much prettier than me."

        "It doesn't matter. He's never going to notice me. I mean I've done everything short of giving him a lap dance."

        "Andrei thinks you're pretty."

        Steph wiped her face and asked, "He does?"

        "Yeah. I asked him before I went home last Summer, and he said you were pretty. And fun, too."

        "Really?"

        "I swear."

        Steph sat upright and regained her composure. Leaning her head back, she tossed the rest of her drink down her throat. "I don't know why I've been torch-carrying for so long. No, that's not true- I know why. Andrei's quiet and mysterious. It's like there's somethin' going on in his head and you dunno what it is, but it's probably deep. And he works with his hands." Steph closed her eyes and smirked deviously. "Those big, rough hands ... and those shoulders ... and his chest." Steph opened her eyes and remarked, "I bet he's big downstairs, too."

        Christina rolled her eyes and confirmed, "Oh my God, it's a monster! You have no idea."

        Steph grinned wildly and pointed her finger at Christina. "You peeked, didn't you!" she accused.

        Christina's mind raced back to that night in the living room. She could still feel Andrei's pulsating member poking her in the stomach. She tried to force the image out of her head, but the vision of Andrei's rock hard penis tenting out his boxers was a picture that was burned permanently in her memory. "I didn't peek," Christina defended, "But um ... I did ... kinda ... Look, it's huge. Just trust me on this one."

        "You get all the breaks," Steph sighed. "I wish I could sneak just one little peek. It doesn't matter though. You're the one that Andrei wants, not me."

        "Andrei doesn't want me- you're wrong on this one," Christina insisted as she resumed munching on the crackers.

        "Is Andrei going to pick you up tonight?"

        "Yeah, I guess so."

        "Okay, so when he comes to get you, just mention that you're cold- not even that, just say you're a little chilly."

        "Why?"

        "Just do it, you'll see."

        Christina let out a long, mournful sigh. "Maybe ... just maybe I could, you know, set you and Andrei up on a date."

        Steph grinned from ear to ear. "Do you think he would go for it?"

        "Look, I know he likes you." Christina looked sadly at Steph and stated, "And anyone would be crazy to not go out with you. We just have to get Andrei to realize that he wants to."

        "Well how do we do that? I mean, I've been on the case for years!"

        Christina snapped her fingers. "I think I know how!" She got up and stumbled to her pocketbook. Grabbing her phone, Christina dialed home. When her aunt answered, she asked to speak with Andrei.

        "Andrei dear," Christina purred sweetly into the phone. "It's late and I'm sooo tired." She faked a yawn and Steph laughed on the couch. "Could you please pick me up? I'm at Steph's. Just ring the bell. Right, the door next to the salon. Okay, thanks. Be careful in the snow."

        "Okay, so now what?" Steph grinned.

        "Where's your bedroom?"

        Steph stood up unsteadily and led Christina to her bedroom. Christina started rifling through the clothes in Steph's closet and drawers. She pulled out a sheer chemise and a long robe. She held them up to Steph and said, "Here, put these on."

        Steph raised an eyebrow and asked, "So we're going with the lap dance after all?"

        "No," Christina smirked, "Just pretend you're getting ready for bed and put these on."

        "And this will make Andrei notice me?"

        Christina grimaced and said, "I promise, if you wear this, you'll get ... a reaction from Andrei. Guaranteed."

        Steph took the clothes and said, "I really don't want to know how you know that, do I?"

        "No you don't," Christina confirmed. "Now get changed, and just be yourself."

        A shock went through Christina's body as Steph pulled off her Rolling Stones shirt. Christina spun around on her heels and looked at the wall. Sneaking into the girl's locker room was fun, but being just another girl in the locker room was maddening. She felt her penis strain futilely against her gaff as the girl she desired stripped behind her back.

        Steph tapped Christina on the shoulder and asked, "Well, does it work?"

        Christina turned around and marveled at Steph's slender, curvy body under the thin pink chemise. Christina resisted the urge to feel Steph's perky breasts, which hung just inches away. "Yeah, it's working," she bellowed.

        The girls returned to the living room and waited for their prey. Ten minutes later, they heard the buzzer ringing.

        Christina winked at Steph and sneaked off to the bathroom.

        Steph went to the intercom and pressed the switch. "Come on up!" After pressing the button to unlock the front door, she fussed with her robe. As she heard Andrei's heavy footsteps on the stairs, she grew nervous. She tried the robe closed, then open, then off the shoulders, and then open again. She tried to calm down, but she still jumped when she heard the knock. Swallowing the lump in her throat, she opened the door.

        She had intended to lean seductively against the wall but missed the door frame and stumbled forward. She flipped her hair back with her hand and looked up into Andrei's face. "Hey, Andrei," she stuttered.

        Andrei turned to look into the apartment and was struck dumb by the sight of Steph in her chemise. He felt an instant stirring in his pants. "Steph!" he blurted out, wide eyed. "I'm here for ..." Andrei trailed off, unable to complete his thought. "I'm here for ... um ..."

        Steph blushed and smiled widely. This was the first time Andrei had truly noticed her. "For your ... cousin?" she giggled.

        "Right my cousin ..." Andrei said, fiddling with his hands.

        "Your cousin ... Christina?"

        "Right, that's the one. Is she here?"

        "Yeah," Steph said, taking Andrei by the hand and leading him into the living room, "She had to take a nose-powder."

        "Right."

        There was a long silence between the two, but not an awkward one. Andrei was nervous, but he couldn't take his eyes off Steph. He broke the pause and muttered, "Uh, you look very ... um ... very... nice."

        Steph was positively glowing. She had waited for years for Andrei to say something like that. "Oh this?" she gushed, "I was just about to go to bed."

        Andrei grinned anxiously. He couldn't think of anything else to say, and he was relieved when Christina entered the room.

        She stood next to Steph and beamed, "Hey Andrei. Are you ready to go?"

        Not looking away from Steph, Andrei said, "Yeah, as soon as you're ready."

        Christina buttoned her jacket and said, "I'm ready when you are."

        Steph nudged Christina with her elbow and said, "I bet it's cold outside."

        "Yeah, it's snowing again," Andrei agreed.

        Steph elbowed Christina again and whispered out of the corner of her mouth, "Somebody might get chilly."

        "Oh right," Christina blurted. "I'm a little chilly."

        Without missing a beat, Andrei took off his heavy winter coat and draped it around Christina's shoulders.

        Christina gasped at Steph in horror!

        Steph didn't say a word. She just flashed Christina an I-told-you-so look as Andrei escorted her downstairs. Steph watched the two until they walked out of sight and into the vestibule. Closing the front door, Steph walked back to the couch and fell backward into the cushions to watch the ending of Sabrina. She poured herself another swallow of schnapps and grinned. Christina Chase, her competitor for Andrei's affections, was now her best hope to make her dreams come true.


Edited into coherence by Holly H. Hart.
Thanks to Sephrena Miller for taking an early read.
Hope you enjoyed it. If you liked it or hated it, please leave a tasty comment.
Krunch Away!

up
176 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks

Thanks for another great chapter.

Christina Chase

You have done a super job writing this series any time I see a new Tina Chase story I read it right-away.. why would Tins not be blind to her(BIG BROTHER's ) love for her ?? she is a new girl after all and as Steph says it must run in Her family ...love Triangles are bad they hurt. Steph and Tina will cry so will I .. I hope for the best for all... I will root for the underdog's Tina & Steph, but it will most likely be (Big brother and Steph) and Tina & Robert yuck ,but a Girl can dream big and hope . my vote is for Tina to get Steph
Yours truly
Christi

Another great chapter

I have to say I am falling in love with this story. I had originally read the first chapter when it came out and then lost track of things with all of the real life stuff I was dealing with. But last week I decided to read all the chapters from start to finish and I must say I was happy I did.

Can't wait to see another chapter in this very interesting journey.

Shannon

Samirah M. Johnstone

+1

Okay Krunch now we have that out of the way, I loved where Christina introduced her new boyfriend to Richard! Meet Boris!!! Not only that but the triangle is heating up too. The closer Christina gets to Stehp the better friends they become much to Christina's distress. That was a classic where Stehp ambushed Andrei at the door, but even after that Andrei still gave Christina his coat. Ouch! this is going to get messy.

You also did a nice job highlighting her relationship with her Uncle Alek. After being alone for so long she actually likes his smothering attention some what. I think it makes her feel wanted after being kicked out of her mother's house. I do hope they can come to a compromise for both of their sakes.

grover

I’m gonna pose a what-if

I’m gonna pose a what-if question here: what if Chris hadn’t been mistaken as a Christina back in the early chapter (3?)? For most stories, I think the answer would be everything would be different, like asking how basketball would be different if there weren’t baskets, but in this one I’m not so sure. Because you’ve really got a completely separate motivation dragging the main character along. Several people have commented that they see Christina finding her true path, or something along those lines. They may be right, but I also think there’s a chance they may not – that the reality is more of Chris just following the easiest, or best, path to get what he really wants/needs, a family. Having to be a girl is just the means to an end, but admittedly, something that has benefits (as well as some drawbacks) to go along with it.

So, lets say Chris is recognized as a Chris by the Levchenkos right away – however that occurs isn’t important as long as there is no hint of deception. What happens next? I would think that the Levchenkos would still accept and make a fuss over him, though it wouldn’t be to quite the same extent. This is an old world family, where cousins and such tend to be considered close family more so than they typically are here. And Chris did make an effort to seek them out, which I think they would appreciate. That, and his lack of family life otherwise, would be to his advantage with them. On the minus side, he’s not a girl, which a patriarchal family such as this is more likely to see as needing protection, nor would he stir up hidden feelings regarding the lost daughter, so I doubt they would be redoing bedrooms and such for him.

The other point to this is Chris’ need for a family. His situation at the beginning of the story is bad (lousy job, lack of education, lost girlfriend, no friends or family), but then again, he’s only 19 – his situation isn’t that unique, and he does have some good qualities – he’s willing to work hard and he does seem to be a “good” person overall. I could definitely see Chris going the non-girl route and finding success and happiness at some point – and having the Levchenkos as a surrogate family would be a help in him solving his problems – interestingly I think you would have Alex giving Chris the exact opposite advice he gave Christina – “work harder and longer and you’ll get ahead.”

Anyway, food for thought. The story is great as it is, and Chris keeps getting in deeper – I hardly think he’ll be cutting his hair anytime soon now that Steph has told him it should be longer, and he’s actively working to lose the one person he really longs to be with.

And, hey! Richard actually showed a more human side here, admitting he was in deep over Christina but agreeing to stop pestering her about it. Still probably a crud, but at least he did something resembling decency.