Kit and Kin 2

Printer-friendly version

tumblr_lw9mk16HxZ1qcnf9u_0.jpg
Kit and Kin

poetheather

Takeshi Saito was a quiet student who kept his head down in Ravenscrest High School trying to get along. But strange things happen in this small town and and the spotlight finds those who would rather hide. So Takeshi finds himself pulled from his happy geek corner to somewhere else, somewhere he is not sure of. Just another day in Ravenscrest.

Chapter Two

January 18

Both Takeshi and Dana tumbled to the ground, a jumbled mass of arms and legs. Takeshi managed to twist himself around by wrenching his back so that he was the one who hit the ground first, keeping Dana from getting hurt. The end result left her elbow driving into his diaphragm, knocking the wind out of him, and his head bouncing off the floor with a loud thwack, making him see stars. Dana scrambled to her feet and looked down at him, worry clear on her face, “Oh my god! Are you okay?”

“Guh…” was about all that Takeshi was able to get out as he was at a loss for air. It was her. She was here tangled with him. “Gah…”

Dana smiled comfortingly, squeezing his bicep, and then looking a bit confused, “Can you help me up?”

He nodded, still trying to suck in air. Slowly he untangled the two of them and helped Dana get to a standing positing all in one continuous motion. She raised an eyebrow at that physical demonstration and said, “Thanks.”

Takeshi bobbed his head, eyes wide and mouth a bit slack, gasping out. “You Welcome.”

Dana blushed slightly as he released her carefully and said, “Okay. Well, I will see you in class.”

Takeshi watched her walk away from him, his hazel eyes tracking her movement until she was lost in the mess of students, some of whom had watched the whole thing. He shook his head, trying to clear it after that encounter, his heart racing and his palms sweaty. He trembled. They had touched. His skin felt electric. Closing his eyes he stood and shook with the magic of the feeling. She had smelled so nice. Delicate and wild all at once. It seemed to call something in him.

The first bell rung and that snapped him out of his trance. His eyes snapped open and with a yip of surprise he scampered down the hall, racing between people in his attempt to race the second bell. Somehow he made it into his class before his teacher closed the door on him. She was not known for having any sympathy for tardies, sending them to the Vice Principal instead, and after his experience just minutes before he really would rather not repeat his meeting with Mr. McC if he could help it.

His notes were rather disjointed as he kept thinking over and over about running into Dana, about the feel of her body against his, the smell of her hair, how warm and smooth her skin had been under his hands. With all that running through his head, how was he supposed to focus on something as obscure as World History, even if they were covering interesting stuff normally? Besides, he routinely got excellent grades in the class so he would be fine if he were a bit lax in his attention for one day. It’s not like he didn’t have a really good reason.

After that class finally ended and he slowly started to come back to earth, he wound his way through people on his way to gym. He had asked his moms to write him a note or something, as he did not want to have to deal with these Neanderthals and pretend to not be in the shape he was. In all honesty this was a class that was wasted on him and he could use it to take something else… something interesting. The only result he had gotten from his mothers was a group hug while they had snickered at him, with his haha saying, “Consider it a part of training, a ninja must be able to portray many faces to the world. This is one of them.”

His mom had started really laughing at that, earning a glare from kasa. Apparently, there was something to that laugh so Takeshi had asked about it and had only gotten an answer of, “You’ll understand when you are older.”

Sometimes his parents were completely mental.

In the locker room, he moved to his locker that was thankfully back in one of the corners. True it was a perfect place to box him in, which had happened a few times, but it had allowed him to change without people noticing his musculature. Granted, he was only fifteen and a day away from being sixteen, but he did have a fairly solid build that he hid under baggy clothes. And with it being winter, sweats made that particular task even easier to accomplish.

His parents had spent the money to get the maroon and white Ravencrest Rhinos sweats that were solid maroon with broad white stripes running down the arms and legs. On the back it said Rhinos and on the front over the heart it had a Rhino. They looked a bit dorky but they did the job. With it baggy, from being at least a size or two too big he looked rather dorky in it. The excuse he had been giving to the coach is that his moms thought he would grow into them. This did mean that he looked like all the other boys, only a bit more rumpled.

He used to have an ally in the class, since Trevor had been in there with him and they would sit in the back and make snide comments about some of the jocks while they did whatever they did. But now he was alone, stuck in a class with a few of the jocks that did not like him. Sure Mike was gone but that did not really reduce the field of antagonists by a significant amount. Bullying seemed to be more of the great American pastime than Baseball as far as Takeshi could tell. At least that seemed to be true among those who were bigger and stronger than others.

Today the chosen Litany of Pain pronounced upon them by the Coach was dodgeball. Takeshi groaned as others cheered. He loved dodgeball. He was great at dodgeball. His kasa had told him specifically that he was not allowed to be good at dodgeball if he was to succeed at his dorky cover that had been chosen for him. It was all his fault of course. He had been the one who had said proudly ‘I can be a geek!’ without thinking through all the ramifications that such a decision would have on his life. Sure he did have the geek cred but this… this special pain was one of the flaws in his otherwise brilliant plan.

As expected he was one of the last picked. That at least let him know he had been doing a great job in playing the geek boy. But now the fun and games began. In addition to having to barely miss balls that were thrown so pathetically slow in his mind that it was a joke, he had to deal with his own teammates shoving him from behind and the side. He took a carefully placed spill to the floor, looking like he banged his knee that stopped play briefly, but the coach only told him to man up and walk it off. That allowed him a few minutes reprieve but not much more.

The set up there allowed him to get himself in position so that three of the jerks that he had to deal with all threw at him at the same time. He curled up and they all hit, stinging slightly, one of the red balls catching the side of his face, knocking him to the floor where he banged his head slightly. As he lay there, he cursed his mothers several times over and over in his mind. He had to endure all of this bullshit in the name of training.

Seeing as he was now ‘injured’ with a big red mark on half his face, the Coach actually let him go change into his regular clothes and sit in the bleachers, to wait for the end of class. Takeshi pulled out a manga and started reading, happy to be doing anything else rather than sweating with the ignorant muscle heads. At least now he could drown his sorrow in the crazy adventures of Kaguya and that crazy all girls school.

When the bell rang, he moved quickly to his next class, Chemistry. That meant Dana. They weren’t lab partners or anything like that. No, if that were to happen he would probably have a heart attack and die. He realized yet again that he was completely messed up in the head over her. All he could do lately was think about Dana, dream about Dana, and fantasize about Dana in ways that would cause his mothers to be very upset at him for his objectifying of a beautiful woman in what seemed to be a sexual manner or at least partially a sexual manner if his dreams were taken into account. He wasn’t trying to be bad. It was not natural. He was clearly not natural. He was a freak. He was acting a bit insane and he knew it. If only he knew how to stop it.

Dana walked into the room and his thinking stopped with a screech and a crash. She was alone, as none of her usual friends were in this class. She had Chad Hermsdorf as a lab partner, which was a good thing as he was one of the smartest kids in the whole school. Not as smart as she was of course, but that meant that she did not have to work harder to carry him. He sighed, resting his head in his hands, eyes lazily focused on her.

She set her books down on her lab table and then turned, catching him looking at her. She smiled gently at him. His head slipped from his hand in surprise and he narrowly missed slamming it into the thick surface of his lab table. The trained reaction was to snap backwards, which had him overbalancing on his stool and falling backwards to the floor. He barely managed to control his fall enough to keep from hurting himself, avoiding banging his head on the floor for a third time in a little over an hour.

The class erupted with laughter at what he did. “Way to go dumbass!” “Smooth move loser!” “Spaz!” “What a retard!” “What an idiot!”

He lay there on the floor a moment, his face covered with his hands. He hurt, as he had fallen hard on his back yet again but not bad enough to need to go to the nurse. He had somewhat managed to break his fall but only somewhat. There was no way that he had not looked like a complete idiot in front of everybody. And this was going to get spread through the whole school by the end of the day. He only hoped that no one had been recording him with their phones as a YouTube video of that would be too much to bear. At least this would make his cover stronger. He groaned in frustration.

“Saito, are you okay?” asked the teacher from the front of the class.

“Yes sir.” Takeshi got to his feet, grumbling. He stretched some, with his hands bracing his lower back and then picked up his stool, putting it back into place.

The teacher shook his head, smiled and then said, “Well, if Mr. Saito can refrain from giving us any more impromptu physics demonstrations today, then maybe we can get to our actual classwork. Shall we?”

Takeshi just wanted to curl up and die. He put his head down and banged his head lightly on the table. His lab partner just snickered.

He hurried out of class once it was over, unable to even look at Dana in his embarrassment. The burning in his face was getting worse and he still had one more class with her. How was he ever going to manage it? He was busy stuffing his book and notebook into his bag as he was walking into the hall and walked right into David Westerburg. His stuff spilled to the floor.

“Watch it moron!”

“Sorry.” said Takeshi, wanting to avoid any trouble. After everything that had already happened with his day there was no way that he needed to face this sort of grief right now.

“Damn right you’re sorry.” growled Westerburg, leaning in towards him, to intimidate him.

“Hey David… you know you aren’t supposed to make a mess in the halls.” chimed in one of his two ever present testicles, Chip.

“That is a good point Chip. We should throw all this trash away.”

Takeshi groaned in resignation. This was going to suck but what else could he do. According to the rules his kasa had given him he had to go along with this crap. Westerburg grabbed Takeshi’s backpack and dumped it into the trashcan and then tossed him in on top of it all, pushing him down a little. His testicles, Chip and Steve, threw in the rest of his stuff on top of him. Thankfully they were not near the cafeteria and so the trash would mostly be paper and stuff, but that did not make it any better.

You would think it was comedy gold from the reactions of some of the students and from the three douchbags. He waited until Westerburg and his goons were on their way, high fiving each other and bumping chests like they had done something impressive. If only his kasa would let him go, but it was dishonorable to attack someone so unskilled. He would completely devastate Westerburg and his friends at the same time and that was wrong. But the thought did bring some succor as he dug his pens and his thumb drive out of the trash can. His bag had gotten a little wet from a Coke someone had tossed in there that had not been empty.

The second bell rang and he sighed in resignation. He still had to get a few of his books out and then make it to his class. Once he plucked the last of his things free of the trashcan, he headed towards his last class of the day. Thankfully it ended with Dana, so there was on an up note to things. That would help make this day at least be decent or at least end decent. He shook his head. He hated trashcans but seeing Dana would make everything better. He only wished he actually had the courage to talk to her and tell her how he felt, but his voice just seized up and he froze when he was around her. He was comfortable with the opponents his haha brought in for him to fight, doing the crazy missions she sent him on but yet talking to the girl he liked nearly gave him a heart attack. It wasn’t fair.

He entered the classroom and looked a little sheepish as everybody stared at him. The teacher waved him in as she kept taking roll. His seat was in the middle of the class and he had to move past several people who did not like him. He managed to not brush against any of them. Once seated, he got out his book and notebook, as well as his mechanical pencil. Now all he had to do was to at least pretend to pay attention to the class as opposed to what he really wanted to do which was watch Dana.

He knew he was an idiot and he knew he wasn’t fooling anybody. He also knew that he was not even being subtle. He knew from subtle. He was trained in subtle. His kasa had trained him in the art of subtle since he could walk but the problem was when he saw Dana his brains turned to warm tapioca, dribbled out his ears and there was nothing he could do about it except sit there in awe of here. She was just so amazing. Surely everyone saw how incredible she was? How could they not? She was just so cool and beautiful and smart and funny and he could just go on and on about her.

Slowly he began to randomly doodle, his pencil tracing spirals and gentle curves. Words slowly came to mind and he wrote them down, smiling slightly as he watched how the light from outside effected Dana’s hair in a different way than the fluorescent light did. And she always moved so gracefully, almost catlike. She was incredible, and beautiful and her eyes were something else. He drifted through class like this for a while, letting the poetry take him like it had for the last two years.

While he was sighing and focused on her or the page, he never saw one of the jocks next to him reach over and snatch the notebook. Takeshi snapped his head around and shot his hand out, just missing getting it back. The jock, one of the soccer players who he did not know, grinned as he stood, saying, “Hey, listen to this everybody!”

Takeshi shouted in fear, “No!”

“Mr. Edelston, sit down!”

The entire class was now watching this whole situation intently. Takeshi’s face was already burning red and he was contemplating actually just killing the boy in order to take back his notebook before he said anything. However, the odds were that he would get suspended or maybe even expelled for doing that.

“Fire crowns her glorious head
In flame licked tresses that curl
Waving in the wind, dancing red
Free from tangles or burls

Grey eyes gaze Athena wise
Her face clearly Goddess wrought
Yet she is greater than any prize
For a hero with trials unfought

O Dana, Goddess of my heart
I am forever your humble servant
Would that you would deign turn to me
Your great beauty effulgent.”

Most of the class was laughing loudly at him, some even pointing. Takeshi grabbed his backpack, snatched the notebook out of the guys hand and hustled out of the class. As he was trying to edge past two desks he locked eyes briefly with Dana, who was blushing and looked almost as embarrassed as he was. He hurt her. That hurt his heart. Fighting against tears he sped out of the class as the teacher called out, “Mister Saito, stop!”

Freed from the constraints of worry about what other people thought, Takashi did not care if anyone might wonder how a dork like him had gotten into much better shape than he had been in before. He raced to the exit at the end of the hall and slammed out of the door. At that moment, he did not care about the fact that he had none of the books needed for some of his homework or the fact that he could get in trouble. He just had to get out of there, away from the school and away from Dana who he had embarrassed.

Running at his best speed down the sidewalk, dodging icy patches, his thoughts were in turmoil. There was no way he could show his face in school again. After that poem was read his high school career was pretty much ruined. He would be mocked forever and if he showed up the beatings he endured would be worse than ever. In order to protect himself he would actually have to use his training. His mother and kasa would be pissed and his home life would be messed up because of that. Home schooling would be his only option if he wanted to have any sort of life any more. Also, he could never look Dana in the eyes again. Not after that.

There was a screech of tires and a horn honked. He cut his eyes over and jumped over a car that tried to hit him, one hand slamming into the hood. As he cleared things, landing on the other side he realized that maybe getting hit by the car would have relieved his misery but missing his party this weekend would have resulted in his parents killing him and he really did not need that in addition to the death of his social life. Tears burned down his face, the salt freezing a little on his face.

He wiped his face, choking back a sob, shaking his head, still running, barely paying attention to his surroundings. Why did that jock have to grab his notebook? Why couldn’t he do anything to stop people doing things like that to him? Why did that jackass have to read it aloud in class? Why did he have to love Dana so much that he had to write about her? Had he done this to himself? Had he set himself up for failure? This hurt so bad. His heart ached and all he could do was cry.

Why had this happened? He loved her and he could never see her again.

up
230 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Huh, that poem

I mean, you know, you had me worried for a second. It doesn't seem all that horrible. Sappy, yes, but not horrible. Unless sappy isn't your thing. Then maybe that is a little devastating.

Read my other poems and you

Read my other poems and you will get a better idea of what I write. That will clarify why this was so different and why I feel so off because of this. It is very teenage, over the top, schmaltzy, sappy and not quite right in scansion. There are issues with it that, as a poet I have a number of problems with. It is not as bad as it could be, granted, but I am not sure I could write worse than that.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

But even at your most sappy

It still reads like Shakespeare to me! Some ladies actually appreciate that kind of thing! Better than the lyrics of some teen pop group at least!

Thanks. I try!

Thanks. I try!

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

It reads like . . .

William the Bloody to me, since Spike was the last person, (and the first) to use "effulgent" in a poem. Loving the story by the way!

Congratulations!! You win a

Congratulations!! You win a cookie!! That last line is taken directly from a William the Bloody original. I just resaw that episode and had to use that line as it was so over the top and realized that Takeshi might use something similar at this point. So, that line was thrown right on in. Poof!

Very well caught!

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Personally I find this hiding your light under a bushel

... is a bit of silly Asian 'learn humility' BS.

It doesn't help in a society that does not understand it and it just makes you strange. So does HaHa think he should acculturate or not?

I grew up being excluded because people found me alien ( in the 60s ) and to deliberately court it is sheer madness

Kim

There will be more covered by

There will be more covered by that in the next several chapters, so don't worry. Trust me, the Asian mentality versus the Western mentality does get discussed at least once or twice.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

ahh, but I get the idea that...

Takeshi is something more than simply a kid who is well trained in martial arts and good at what he does.

If I have my references right, in a lot of Asian cultures, showing off how much better you are than others is often a matter for shame.

Just my take there.

Maggie

God, he's a boy who's

God, he's a boy who's potentially awesome, but his haha (whatever that means) has forbidden him to show of and demands of him to hide his abbilities to the point where he is bullied. Doesn't she love him at all? If I ever have kids I would never do something like this to them. Rather deal with the director because the kid beat up another kid (aka stupid bully) instead of having him humiliated and despiced.
The bend like a reed in the wind philosophy is rather nice, but also useless against a tornado. There are winds who won't just bend you, but break you or rip you out.
There are only three things one can do in an offensive situation. First is avoid, second is attack and third is submit. If you always submit you lose all initiative in your life, which seems to happen to the protagonist. Did his haha actually mean this when she told him to hide his abilities? I don't know anything about lesbians raising boys, but considering the success of single moms... Whatever, she can't really mean it, can she? He probably just interpreted her wrong or something.

Heather, thank you for writing this captivating story,

Beyogi

Haha

I THINK is Japanese for Mother

First, Stacy is right, Haha

First, Stacy is right, Haha is the Japanese informal for mother, ie. mom.

And yes, Takeshi has lost the initiative in things. Problem is that he has not found a happy medium with his role. Trevor and his gang at least had each other for support and camaraderie, and Takeshi seems to have mostly no one. Sure there are people he knows at school but there is nothing saying it is anything more than that. That kind of thing can insulate you from the negative effects from being on the bottom all the time. Trust me I know.

As for responding to violence with violence, so far what we have scene has not warranted a physical response. There have been no punches thrown, nothing but words and stupid stuff that someone with his level of training should just ignore. Honestly, when you can kill someone with a hit or two, responding with physical violence to that sort of bullying is rather excessive. It is eaasier to just accept it and move on.

Sometimes there is more going into the bend like a reed philosophy than most people think.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Well, I can somewhat

Well, I can somewhat sympathize. I had to endure bullying through our equivalent of junior-high and being ignored by everyone except maybe 4-5 friends in highschool. I know that you can't do much against continous verbal assault. Nobodies going to support you if you actually beat them up. In his case I don't understand why he lets them humiliate him to that extend. Seriously, stuffing him into a waste bin? If someone had tried that with me I'd gone into berserker rage (my family can have a rather nasty temper if sufficiently provoced)
If he can kill them with two hits he ought to be able to hurt them with a hit that nobody can really prove. I'm by no means an expert for martial arts, but I'm pretty sure there are things an accomplished martial artist can do that won't kill someone and won't leave marks and still hurt like hell. A ninja ought to know them - imho a good ninja has to know how to torture someone.
He doesn't seem to be the guy to escalate things though. Which may be his mistake. Sometimes you have to stand up if you don't want to be a doormat :(

Not sure about those asian philosophies, but I guess they should be used with messure. To much bending can't be good for someones character as is not moving at all.

Beyogi

Thanks. Hopefully, if

Thanks. Hopefully, if everything holds true, it shouldn't be an epoch like last time.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

So then

Only half the Cretaceous Period then? ;P

Something like that I am

Something like that I am sure. ;)

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

wondering

wondering what twist this might take seeing as haw its set in ravencrest. very good so so far and i haveno doubt it will ccontinue to be. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

Given his parents... I am

Given his parents... I am guessing Werebeaver.

::ducks::

I kid! I kid! Stop with the hurting!

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Beaver...ducks?

I knew there would be Were platypi in the universe eventually!

Half Japanese

it just has to be the little magic trickster foxes, I can't recall their proper name. Wonder how he will fare with McC, a were fox regular, if there are "regular weres" anyway.

Only the Shadow knows... And

Only the Shadow knows...

And me and Maggie and EOF and several others... so yeah...

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Well, if it IS a Were Platypus

I would know better than to be deceived! After all, they might be cute and cuddly, but them thing's be poisonous!

True that. They'll cut you!

True that. They'll cut you!

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

I think they're called

Kitsune, if I'm thinking what you're thinking.

kitsune

that's them. Thanks

The Name

you are looking for I believe is Kitsune. Also known as the fox spirit

teenage angst

the world so rotates around them doesn't it.
a good ninja should be able to poke back without being caught.
next chapter should be interesting, thanks

I tried very hard for a good

I tried very hard for a good level of angst. I am glad to hear I achieved it.

And yes a good ninja should be able to, but not a distracted one.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Loving this story so far.

Really loving this story so far Heather then again that's not a surprise since you are a wonderful writer an the author of one of my 2 fav asain chars in whateley universe. Please keep up the good work on this story and all your other stories.

Thank you. Takeshi is proving

Thank you. Takeshi is proving to be really interesting.

I will keep working on to ensure good stories for everyone.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

I have to agree with the point that Maggie...

Brought up earlier. But it's usually not *just* the mentalities that are different, it's the entire culture that is different. This is one of the things that (curse my lack of sleep! grrr...) I forgot to comment on in the last chapter. It should prove interesting to see how someone who is raised in (at least partial) traditional Japanese household adapts to the western world, and all the idiocy that goes with it.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

I try to bring a degree of

I try to bring a degree of cultural fluency to my stories, but I am not Asian and have never lived in Asia. I know everything through study and language learning. So, what I add is hoped to fill the story with life and a good mix of the life of Japanese cultural as well as American cultural. I know how this particular family has mixed things so it should be interesting to see if people like things when they are able to see more.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

There comes a time that even the best of martial artists have

to use their training to "teach" a few lessons in humility to those who would think they could beat down anybody, simply because they had muscles and didn't want anybody to think they were sissies. But this is Ravencrest, and you never knew who was or wasn't an Unseen. But, Takeshi must be allowed to defend himself, even if it means using the simple protection methods used by most men. Not allowing him to defend himself is not normal, even for Japanese society.

If his mother (haha you call her) had told him it was not proper to use his training against those who were not martial artists, then she needs a psychiatrist and about 1000 mg of Thorazine. Sorry, but that is my opinion. No mother, who loves her son, would tell her son to allow the bullies to bully him...that is not a proper part of martial arts training. What would his mother (haha) do if someone shot at him with a gun? No, Takeshi being told it was not proper to defend himself, is not reality. But then again, neither is Ravencrest.

Another thing, too, is that when I was in the 7th grade, and we played dodgeball, we used medicine balls. If you have ever been hit by a medicine ball, you know it hurts. Repeated hits by these over sized, heavy balls, usually sends the person to the nurse, then the home by way of the hospital.

As for the poem, I would have considered it a great honor that it got read. Even though one of the bullies snatched his notebook and read it, I would still consider it an honor. Now Dana knows his inner feelings for her. I hope she will talk to Takeshi about maybe hanging out. Also, Takeshi has to stop hiding his body under over sized clothing. Wearing Ravencrest sweats is not real. I don't know any school that allows sweats to be worn on a daily basis, except in physical education. Most schools, even today, are old fashioned that way, still.

It is a good story, don't get me wrong, but Takeshi needs to be able to defend himself.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Since his Bullying does not

Since his Bullying does not really involve physical violence he is in a situation where he just has to take it. All that happened to him in terms of bullying was words and being picked up and put in the trash. The physical violence was part of education. I remember dodgeball fondly, but I am a freak who used it as a means of physical training (ala Ranma)but Takeshi has been denied that. So that "game" became far more sinister. It became a tool of oppression. I am not a fan of that. I used that game specifically for that purpose.

As for his ability to deal with physical violence directed to him, well that has rarely come up. Most things that have occurred to Takeshi have been the standard basic bullying crap. As for the fights... well he is so much better than these others that he directs these fights and "loses" with very little pain to himself, but those are rare. If it were serious he would be allowed to defend himself because why wouldn't he?

Part of the problem is the fact that it is his call, so he needs to be able to have a good clue when it is and isn't appropriate to take action. That is a factor of training and experience and at 15/ almost 16 he really doesn't have the knowledge to make really good calls on that, especially as distracted as he has been lately.

Dodgeball with medicineballs...ICK... and OUCH... just no... no...

As for the poem being read... no teenager I know would consider that a great honor. They would just die and want to crawl into a hole. An easy bunch to embarrass teenagers, and by reading something that private and intimate out loud without permission... that is the standard response.

The sweats were what he wore for gym. I mentioned them in that section and then after he got hit I said he went and got changed. So, no he is not wearing sweats to school. You are right, no school would allow him to wear them daily. As for hiding under baggy clothes, he is simply trying to mask the fact that he is in great shape. Clothes that fit well would emphasize that rather than detract from that feature.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Well, all in all, it is a good story.

I do hope that he and Dana get together. If that happened, maybe the bullies would stop their taunts. Maybe.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Well, nothing is

Well, nothing is impossible...

...dig Mouse!

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

The poem

As is typical for a love poem, it is full of metaphor, similies and hyperbole. It's precisely the kind of poem not intended for public consumption. If the pair were in a mutual relationship and the poem was shared privately, Dana might appreciate it. But read in public from a known geek (who, remember, is at the bottom end of the social hierarchy) with an obvious crush on her... major embarrassment all round.

But if events at his family's gathering over the weekend have similar results to two other sixteen year olds in town, his sudden exit from class and school, coupled with the bin incident, would make the usual cover story more believable.

If that is indeed what happens, it'll be interesting to see if those other two sixteen year olds draw certain conclusions from the sudden disappearance of one student and equally sudden appearance of another...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Yeah... the poem is totally

Yeah... the poem is totally not for public consumption, and yet I let you lot read it anyway, ;). Perhaps Dana might have enjoyed it, if they had been in a relationship, but the odds of that are not very good. And as for the rest of your conjecture... read on mon frere.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Speculation

Well, obviously, even though presented in as vague a terms as I could get away with (so as not to disturb those that haven't read other tales in this Universe), answering pretty much any of my speculation couldn't be done without spoiling future chapters.

So I'll read on (when future chapters are released - I can't exactly read what hasn't been written yet!) and pat myself on the back if any of it turns out to be accurate :)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

A teen with his first

crush so yeah, the poem is going to be a little painful. Not fit for public consumption indeed! Something that is of note is that Ninjas was the Japanese version of spies and assassins. It seems that Saito's family is still practicing the family traditions. The most effective spies become their cover identities. The question is why is Saito undercover? A large portion of his growing up is being set aside for this training.

This does make a kind of sense if they know he's going to change. Saito goes back to Japan and here is cousin, Insert Name Here, who's going to be Ravencrest's newest transfer student.

Then again this is Heather!

hugs
Grover

Yeah... the poem is so very

Yeah... the poem is so very fun. It hurts us my Precious.

And yes, that is what the Ninjas were known for. And it does seem that is what the Saito family is doing despite one parent not being Asian. And yes, he has been training for his whole life, so what is that all about?

And as for what is going to happen when this whole thing plays out... who knows?

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Though unfortunately I share the same feelings as The Tick

.... with regard to Ninjas. :P

I do not believe Ninjas are consider honorable per se as they are also assassins. Maybe he can become a Shaolin monk instead ;).

I was raised with the understanding that Karate is not the most able of the martial arts traditions. Chinese Kung-Fu traditions are better with its training to enhance abilities to take punishment whereas Karate is more about offensive technique.

Kim

Since this is a family

Since this is a family tradition... trust me the Ninja thing will be discussed had hopefully they surely won't be that bad by the end. Or at least these Ninjas won't be as bad by the end. ;)

And yeah, Karate is very much an offense move based martial art. Kung Fu has as greater variety, but since it also has a larger span of arts in its repertoire it can go from full bore offensive to full on defensive. One of the lovely things about something that has many many variations. Karate doesn't have as many and that majority of them are all offensive to a major degree. Okinawan is a little less so, but that is because there is more Five Animal Kung Fu thrown in. But I digress.

Takeshi practices neither Karate nor Kung Fu, as Ninjitsu encompasses a separate body of arts of which their fighting art is really interesting. It is likely that you will see the art in use at some point, as other wise it is a huge Chekov's Gun that I am just taunting you all with.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Kit and Kin 2

And why must he be such a dork and not allow himself to be an athlete? Being a wimp has hurt him.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Because he agreed to do so

Because he agreed to do so with his mothers. Yes it may have hurt him, but part of that was because of his own issues. So there is more to it than what what you think.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.