A Wyld Come True - Part 1 of 4

Printer-friendly version
A
Wyld Logo
Come True

by Saless
Part 1 of 4

Elizabeth get's everything she ever wanted out of going Wyld... with a few surprises thrown in. Nothing's ever simple when you're Wyld!


September 2011

Like the other hundred students I stared at the screen in boredom. This class was a joke; everybody already knew all this. But then Mr. Edwards came up with a new twist I didn't expect. Neither did anybody else, by the looks of it.

The screen had been showing images of various Wyld as he explained how everyone goes Wyld between their nineteenth and twentieth birthdays. They had figured that one out a couple of years ago. It wasn't a hundred percent certain, but nobody had changed younger or older than that since they came up with it so it was pretty solid.

Now the image switched to Stone Henge. That was weird. "So," Mr. Edwards said, "I suppose you're all wondering what a picture of Stone Henge is doing up here on the screen. The reason," he said, dramatically clicking the button to advance the slide show to the next image. That image was still of Stone Henge, but it was now populated with dozens, perhaps even hundreds, of hooded figures. Only they were all lying down. "is this!"

There was a lot of muttering over that one, but no one seemed to know what this was about. Smiling at stumping his students, Mr. Edwards continued, "Haven't seen this before, have you? It's only recently come to the attention of Wyld researchers because it happened when the super Wyld were still showing up. News about the man who exploded in Bakersfield or the woman who burnt down the Kremlin was bigger than some cultists somehow killing themselves at Stone Henge."

"Killing themselves?!" someone exclaimed, probably echoing all our thoughts.

He shrugged, "We don't actually know how they died. All we know is one morning they were found draped all over Stone Henge as if they'd been in the middle of some pagan ritual and simply... died."

"But what does that have to do with the Wyld?" someone else asked.

He grinned in triumph, "That's the question, isn't it? You see, this happened early in 2002. Only three days before a man had gone Wyld in Australia and managed to turn eight people to stone before he was shot down. Nothing like that ever happened again."

"What?!" some girl screamed shrilly. "There are tons of Wyld!"

He grinned even wider, "Yes, but not the super powerful Wyld that were showing up before that. You all know that early Wyld were stronger and totally out of control. Almost all were killed. The only known survivor is Kami, and nobody knows how she accomplished that. All other Wyld are much weaker and have much better control over their powers."

"Wait, are you saying those people dying at Stone Henge somehow... tamed the Wyld?!" someone else asked incredulously.

Mr. Edwards nodded eagerly, "That's exactly what I'm saying. This isn't known for certain, of course, but for a coincidence it's stretching things a bit, don't you think? We now believe that these people, who were from all over the world by the way, somehow changed the way Wyld manifest. For the better. We can only assume this was intentional, though whether they knew they would die or not is a mystery. As is why they died. Perhaps there was more they were trying to accomplish and made some kind of fatal mistake? Nobody alive knows."

There was a lot of noise after that as everyone had something to say on the issue. I just sat back in shock. Somebody actually did that?! "How?!" I nearly yelled before I realized I was even talking out loud.

Everybody stopped and stared at me, causing me to slide down in my seat pointlessly. Like they were going to stop looking at me because I slouched down! But Mr. Edwards seemed happy that I asked. "That, my friends, is the trillion dollar question! How did they do this? Is it magic? Some kind of religious ritual? Or was it science? Or, was it really just a coincidence? Did the changing of the Wyld manifestation even cause their deaths somehow? That's what researchers are trying to find out now. There is little to go on, though."

Someone snorted, "There's no such thing as magic!"

Mr. Edwards nodded, "Yes, I would have said the same twelve years ago. But now I routinely see people who look like creatures out of myth. I see people flying and doing the sorts of things we thought impossible before. At this point I'm prepared to keep an open mind."

There wasn't anywhere to go after that, so we moved back into the familiar territory of the different kinds of Wyld and Wyld powers. It was all old news, but everyone's attention was fixed after that bombshell. Which was probably the point.

I had to hand it to Mr. Edwards; he sure knew how to get people's attention. Especially impressive for a class as dry as Wyld Studies. I mean, it's not 2002! Everybody knows about the Wyld now! But it was a required class. Fortunately I got a teacher who is actually up on the most current events and knows how to present them in a way that will keep you from falling asleep.

That was my last class for the day. I hurried back to my dorm room and got my homework done. And just in time, there was a knock at my door. I opened it to see Jenny's smiling face. "Hi Jenny, great timing! I just finished my homework."

She rolled her eyes, "You can't let it wait for one day, can you Liz?" She was always telling me to take it easy but I wanted to do my best. "Come on, Chris and TJ are waiting!"

I laughed as she dragged me out of the room, pausing just long enough for me to grab my purse and close the door on our way out.

We met up with the boys outside the dorm. Jenny ran to TJ and was scooped up, laughing until he pressed his lips up against hers. I loved how happy that guy made her. She deserved it.

"Hey Angel, how are you?" Chris said as he walked up to me.

"Great, now that you're here." I said. We kissed and linked hands, turning to find Jenny and TJ still locked together. "Did you bring the crowbar?"

"It's in the car, I'll get it." Chris said, playing along. We'd spoken loud enough for Jenny and TJ to hear so they broke up. TJ was blushing and Jenny giggling happily. That girl has no shame.

"Come on, we'll be late." I said. Jenny stuck her tongue out at me, but took TJ's hand and followed us as we walked to the parking lot.

Soon we were all in Chris' car on our way to the movie theater. We were going to watch a new action movie that actually starred a Wyld. That was unheard of, but things were changing. Used to be Wyld practically had to pay to work in any industry.

We got to the movie with fifteen minutes to spare. Just enough time to get some snacks and find a good seat. Which took some doing; the movie is popular!

I think Jenny and TJ missed most of the movie, but Chris and I were content with holding hands and me resting my head on his shoulder. Okay, there might have been a kiss or two.

"Hey, do you think Tina Stroud did her own stunts?" TJ asked on our way out of the theater, referring to the Wyld star of the movie.

Chris shrugged, "She might have but I heard she definitely did some of the effects herself."

"I wonder what it's like to have powers like that?" Jenny mused. We all exchanged uncomfortable looks, knowing that it wouldn't be long before we all went Wyld. My nineteenth birthday was a month in the past and I'm the youngest of our group. It was surprising that none of us had manifested yet.

"Oh!" I breathed.

"What's wrong Angel?" Chris asked worriedly as I'd stopped moving in the middle of the parking lot.

I wanted to say something, but I couldn't quite get my voice to work. I could feel something weird welling up within me and it wasn't hard to imagine what it could be. Could I actually be the first...

"Liz!" Jenny screamed as the world went away in a flash of golden light.


Slowly the world came back to me. First it was sounds, like the incessant beeping sound. Then smell arrived, bringing with it the knowledge I was in a hospital. Finally my vision slowly cleared.

"Chris?" I said weakly, hardly recognizing my own voice.

"Liz? Are you okay?" he asked, leaning over from where he sat in a chair next to my bed. Though I was looking him in the eye. I was propped up by something.

"I... think so? I went Wyld, right?" I said. He seemed to have trouble meeting my eyes. I knew he didn't have any prejudice against Wyld, so why... No, it couldn't have done that?!

He nodded, "Yeah. For some reason you passed out right after. You were out for about four hours."

Dreading the answer, I asked, "So, uh, how do I look?"

He smiled weakly, "Even more beautiful than before. Though I'm sorry to say you are now blonde."

I grimaced at that, knowing all the blonde jokes I'd be hearing in the near future. "If that's the worst, I can deal with that." I said. I glanced down and confirmed that going Wyld had not, in fact, undone everything I had done. That was a relief!

He nodded but didn't look very happy, "Well, there is something else. I'm... really sorry. I feel like this is my fault."

I frowned, "Your fault?! How could anything that happened when I manifested be your fault?"

There was a mirror sitting on a tray nearby and he picked it up so I could see. I gasped at the sight. I really was beautiful! I knew I wasn't bad looking before, but still. I now sported fine, delicate features with blonde hair and, yes, blue eyes. Really bright blue eyes, in fact. I didn't notice at first since I was so pleased with how I looked but there was something behind me that shifted and caught my attention.

"Uh, Chris? Is that what I think it is?" I asked weakly.

He nodded, grimacing, "Yeah, you've got wings."

"Wait." I said, finally putting what he'd said together in a way that made sense. "You think it's your fault that I look like an angel because you kept calling me Angel?! I don't think it works that way Chris!"

He shrugged, "I don't know, but I still feel guilty."

A laugh escaped my lips as I shook my head ruefully, "Don't. Much worse could have happened to me than this; trust me. Even if you had somehow influenced my change I wouldn't blame you. Being an angel could be kind of cool. Although I suppose the wings mean I'll need to change my wardrobe around some."

"See? Already thinking about shopping. She's fine." Jenny said, walking in with a big grin and something hidden behind her back.

Laughing again I said, "Hi Jenny. What are you hiding now?"

She got shy all of a sudden, not something I see often with her, and brought it out. That got me laughing so hard I cried. She had a soft little angel doll. Complete with blonde hair, blue eyes and, of course, wings. "Where did you get that?!" I said once my laughter was under control.

She shrugged, "I got it in the hospital gift shop, believe it or not. TJ's getting drinks; he'll be here in a few minutes."

I took the doll with a smile. It was just like Jenny to find something like that. But it was cute.

"You okay Angel?" Chris asked, wincing as he realized what he'd said.

I realized then that he was holding my hand. Probably had been since I was put in this bed. That was just like him. I reached over and held his hand in both of mine, "Relax Chris. I didn't mind you calling me Angel before and I'm not going to start having a problem with it now. It'll just be more appropriate now."

Chris shook his head, a smile threatening to form, "Only you could take something like this in stride. Most people hope they don't change physically when they manifest and you just shrug it off."

I didn't say what I wanted to say; that I had always hoped I'd change. That I would be complete. Maybe even be able to have children. But none of my friends knew about that part of my past. So I just said, "It'll take some getting used to, but it's not like I have any choice in the matter."

Chris still looked uncertain, so I pulled him down and kissed him. He looked surprised but certainly didn't complain.

"Ugh, get a room you two!" TJ said in mock disgust. He had a stack of sodas he was somehow balancing. Jenny took the one off the top, it was hers anyway, and he handed the other two to Chris.

"We appear to have a room, actually." I said, looking around at the room. There was another bed, but it was empty. The fact that my new wings were pretty much filling up the room might have had something to do with that.

Chris passed the Coke over to me after opening it. I took a sip and sighed in relief, "Thanks TJ."

He shrugged, "No big. How are you doing?"

"Okay. Not sure what I'm going to do with these things but I guess I'll figure it out." I said, pointing my thumb at my new appendages. They were kind of pretty, actually. What I could see of them. That got me thinking about flying. Would I actually be able to...?

We got to talking about powers; with one ridiculous idea after another. Frankly I wasn't worried about powers. I was more concerned with how... functional, my new body is.

My friends had to leave when the doctor came in to check on me. Chris kissed me before reluctantly letting go of my hand. I smiled at him as he left to let him know I was okay.

"So, how are you feeling?" the doctor asked once the door was closed behind my friends.

I shrugged, "Fine. I don't really feel all that different, frankly."

She nodded, "That's common. Your new body is natural for you now so it would feel normal. You may feel differently once you are moving around and dealing with your new wings."

I grimaced, "Yeah, I figured that would be awkward. But it's better than turning into a monster or something. So, what now?"

"Now, I check to make sure you are healthy. In very rare cases the Wyld manifestation can cause changes that are dangerous to your health." she replied.

So the doctor, her name was Thompson, gave me a thorough physical. By the end of it I was told I was completely healthy and normal looking. Then I asked the six million dollar question, "Can I get pregnant now?"

She looked surprised, "You couldn't before?"

I shook my head, "No, I definitely couldn't. I was... missing, some important parts."

She looked confused but shrugged it away, "Well, you should have no problems now. Everything appears completely normal and healthy, like I said."

I thanked her and she said I could leave once I filled out the ever-present paperwork. The main problem was going to be finding something to wear and squeezing my wings out the door. But I didn't care. My face was threatening to split from the huge smile I was sporting.

My friends noticed when they came back in, "What, did you win the lottery or something?" TJ asked, looking confused.

"Or something." I said, still smiling widely.

Jenny took a moment to catch on, but she finally did. "Does this mean, you're all better?" she asked. She knew I couldn't get pregnant. That had slipped out one teary night after I met Chris. She just didn't know why.

If anything my smile got bigger at the excited look on her face, "Yep, all better!"

"Uh, someone care to clue us poor males in here?" Chris said, looking back and forth between us.

I blushed, "Well, I had a birth defect. I couldn't get pregnant. Now everything's as it should be!"

Chris blushed too, "Oh. I see. Uh, that's great."

"Cool, now you two can have little cherubs!" TJ said, grinning widely.

I snagged my pillow and threw it at him but he neatly caught it and laughed.

"Ignore the neanderthal here." Jenny said, slapping him up the backside of his head.

I laughed a bit at the look on Chris' face, but I was still blushing at his remark. Truth be told, that was the first thought I had. That we could have kids, not cherubs, but still. But I knew it was too soon to be talking about that. We'd only been dating for a couple months.

Soon the paperwork arrived for me to fill out and I sent Jenny to find me something I could wear. TJ went with her. By the time they got back I had the paperwork taken care of. So I sent the boys out with the paperwork while Jenny helped me get dressed. It was easier than I thought. My wings were easier to handle than I expected and the halter top Jenny found for me was low enough in the back it didn't get in the way any.

"So, how do I look?" I asked her.

"Absolutely fabulous! You know I'm totally jealous of you now, right?" she said, pouting.

"As if you're not totally beautiful yourself!" I replied.

"Maybe, but you practically glow! Hey, I wonder if we took a photograph if you would have a halo?" Jenny snickered.

"Hah. Hah." I said, sticking my tongue out at her. She replied in kind and we dissolved into laughter. Then Jenny brushed my hair for me. I didn't need to worry about cleaning off makeup since it had apparently been destroyed when I changed.

Getting my wings folded as tightly to my body as I could, I managed to squeeze through the doorway. I didn't even have to turn sideways like I thought I would. Although I realized that hospitals tend to have wider doorways to allow for wheelchairs. I might have more trouble in other buildings.

We met up with the boys at the front desk. Thankfully they didn't make me sit in a wheelchair to leave. Since I just went Wyld keeping me there was more of a formality anyway. I had to wonder why I'd passed out though. That was unusual.

I shivered as we stepped outside. Chris put his arm around my waist, "You okay?"

"Just cold." I said, glad my wings didn't get in the way as much as I'd feared.

"Hey, do you think you can fly?" TJ said blurted.

"I've been wondering the same thing." I said with a laugh.

"Well not tonight. It's really late and we all have classes in the morning." Jenny said sternly.

"Yes mother." I said, rolling my eyes.

We all laughed and then stopped when we got to Chris' car. I think we all realized at the same time that there was no way I was going to fit inside. Maybe if he had an SUV or van, but not his little hatchback. "Uh, how far are we from the school?" I asked.

"A couple miles, I think." TJ said.

I sighed, "I guess I'm going for a walk."

"I'll walk with you." Chris said instantly.

I smiled at him, "Thanks Chris, but you shouldn't leave your car here. You three drive back, I'll be okay."

Jenny snorted, "As if! You boys drive back and we girls will walk."

"Forget it, we'll all walk. I don't need my car tomorrow. I can pick it up after classes." Chris said stubbornly. I realized I wasn't going to change his mind, so I stopped trying. It was rather dark, and cold, so his presence was welcome anyway.

The walk back was slow and cold, though Chris' arm around me helped. I could see one definite problem with having wings: clothes. If I could only wear halter tops I was going to freeze in the winter time.

We got back to the college without any problems and split up at the girl's dorm. We got our goodnight kisses and promises they'd come see us after classes. I made Chris promise to let me walk with him when he retrieved his car. He didn't seem to mind.

"So, how do you like being an angel so far?" Jenny asked impishly as we walked up the stairs.

I shrugged, "Hard to say. The wings are problematic, but if I'm able to fly that would make up for it. And being complete is worth it." That brought back the big goofy grin.

She smiled back and hugged me sideways, "I'm really happy that happened. You'd make a great mom."

"Thanks." I said, hugging her back. We split at the landing; her going right and me left. There was nobody around at this time of night, so I didn't have to deal with all the attention I knew my wings would bring. Once in my room I got undressed, not even thinking about trying to get any of my nightgowns on, and crawled into bed as best I could.


To Be Continued...

up
106 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A Wyld Come True - Part 1 of 4

Wonder if her angelic form will transfer to any of her children.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The 64 thousand dollar question is/are

WHY was she incapable of having children before?

She said she was missing a few parts. Intersex or was she a former male?

And Saless, you said "a few surprises". What else did she get other than wings and some minor cosmetic changes and a working female reproductive system?

I wondered if she was both sexes at first but the doctor's exam and words seem to rule that out. So, she may have a power other than flight?

Oh and which country is this taking place in?

Nice start.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Well I can at least narrow it down for you.

The most Wyld accepting countries are Cascadia and the Free States. The remaining United States are in the middle, some parts of the country like New England are more accepting than the states down by Washington DC where there are more Confederate sympathies.

The Lake States are pretty tolerate of Wyld, however it usually depends on how much they're able to contribute to the Nation's prosperity. Those who have no real effective "traits," or are too lazy to contribute can often be found as slaves being sold to neighboring countries under the eyes of the international community. Doge Giovanni (Who would rule even at this time) only cares about one thing, and that's money, so he'll get it whether people involved like it or not.

If I were to take a stab at where this is taking place I'm thinking it's the Free States. Of course at this time The Free States is also the times of my characters Natalie, Haylie, and Shawna. Natalie, who would be a man at this point of time, would actually be Elizabeth's age, 19. As you can remember he turned Wyld very late. It would be kind of awesome to be able to see Elizabeth meet those girls sometime, particularly if they are living in the same country.

Further narrowing:

Extravagance's picture

Liz was a very passable post-op T-Girl (who kept this fact well hidden) before manifesting, and now she's a fully functional genetic female in addition to having wyld powers. Her manifestation was effectively a TG one, there just wasn't much that actually needed changing.

You don't need to tell me how purr-ceptive I am. ;)

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Interesting Start...

So our story takes place in one of the more enlightened parts of North America -- one that's willing to acknowledge as early as 2011 that the Wyld changes seem to be universal, occurring between ages 19 and 20.

But we're being given two new pieces of data: one, that a druidic ritual at Stonehenge in 2002 may have moderated and regularized the original Wyld effect (albeit at the cost of the group's own lives), and two, that in some instances there just might be a connection between the specific effect and the circumstances: there's a chance, of indeterminate probability, that calling our protagonist Angel influenced the nature of her change.

Combining the two points, we get the possibility that there are some people (human or otherwise) out there who know what's going on and may be manipulating this to some logical end, albeit one that's willing to accept a lot of war and chaos on its way to their desired result. (That's as opposed to the manipulators, religious and otherwise, that we know about throughout the world who are demonizing the Wyld for their own advantage. But it does mean that the paranoid states may have a point.)

That's probably not where this particular tale is headed, though, since we're still some years back from this universe's present day. The obvious complication approaching us here is what happens when the other three central characters go Wyld. (And the "furry/non-human" tag at the top suggests that it may not be pretty.)

Looking forward, as usual with Saless's stories, to seeing where she's taking us.

Eric

I wonder if

One might go Demon?

Set up

What a wonderful and sweet beginning. Brace yourselves, I think I see some dung rapidly approaching the atmospheric impeller. When the Henge is involved, can Druids be far behind? When Druids are involved, s**t gets wyrd as well as wyld.

Any way, I am excited about this story (even if, as is likely, my speculations are way off.

Joani

a cool power

and to be "complete"? Ah, if only it could happen to me ....

DogSig.png

These stories are very interesting.

This one I get the feeling, as has been previously mentioned, isn't going sweetness and light is it? But then none of yours are that way, are they?

Angel was only the first of the four to change, I suspect. Another good one, Saless.

Maggie

Iiinteresting

Now, onward to part two, and I'd like to say that sometimes coincidences are just that, coincidences.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!