Tears of the Princess -- Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version

Tears of the Princess

By Melodie Thomas

Edited by Holly Hart

Chapter 2

Saturday, August 14, 2010
Charlie and I got tickets for Thursday morning on the United Airlines flight out of San Francisco, connecting through Hong Kong, arriving in Singapore at one o’clock Saturday morning. By the time we made it through immigration, collected our luggage and found our way to the hotel it was three in the morning. With little sleep on the flight and the time change, we were both dragging pretty badly, so a breakfast time of around nine was set, and we would try to call Chi Lee after that.

Regardless of how tired I felt, it became apparent fairly quickly that sleep was not going to be my companion tonight. I just lay in the bed and stared at the dark ceiling, unable to shut my mind off. I don’t know if it was just missing Stephanie, seeing the picture of Smith, or the potential of being involved in another forced feminization case, but everything that had happened over the past couple of years was playing back in my mind. It almost felt like I was watching a movie of my memories, as I relived conversations with Stephanie, Smith, and the Vasnevs, trying to figure out what I had missed the first time, where I had made the mistakes.

“You didn’t make any mistakes, my darling.” Stephanie said, sitting on the edge of the bed.

“I had to have missed something, some clue, somewhere.” I answered, without moving.

“No,” Stephanie smiled, “You saw exactly what they wanted you to see.”

“Then how did you figure it out?”

“From the girls,” Stephanie answered, “they did not act like girls that were just rescued. They acted like they were on a mission.”

“I still think I missed something.”

“You did a good job on those girls in Mexico, I am proud of you.”

“Thanks, but I could have found them sooner.”

Stephanie smiled at me, “You need to work this new case, Dan. There are things here you need to find.”

“What things?”

“You will know, but you need to keep your mind open, and let others see your heart so they can help you.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Just keep your mind and your heart open, my darling. But be careful, you need to watch out for…”

A jarring, ringing sound penetrated the cloudiness of my mind and my eyes snapped open. The room was full of light, the sun was up. I don’t remember that happening. The ringing sound again, this time I could identify it as the telephone. I looked to where Stephanie had been sitting and there was nothing there. I quickly scanned the whole room, just moving my eyes. There was no one there. It was all a dream. The phone rang for the third time, and I reached for it.

“Yeah?” I mumble into the phone.

“It is almost nine, I’m headed down to breakfast,” Charlie’s voice answered.

“Okay, I am right behind you.” I answered and hung up.

I laid there for a couple more minutes, fighting the hollow feeling in my chest. I felt a single tear escape from my left eye and slowly slide down the side of my face. Finally, with a deep breath and a sigh, I swung my feet out of the bed and headed for the shower.

I was able to get a call to Chi Lee Leong while Charlie and I had breakfast, and let her know we were here. She gave me an address to give the taxi driver, saying she would be expecting us just after lunch.

When the taxi pulled up in front of a large condominium complex, I really doubted we were in the right place, as I was expecting an office, not a home. However, the gate guard for the condominium confirmed we were in the right place, placed a call to Chi Lee to confirm we were expected, and then directed us to the elevator that would take us to the fourteenth floor apartment.

Chi Lee was a very petite woman of Chinese descent, whose age I could not determine, as it is hard to tell with some Asian women. She was just over five feet tall, short black hair, with a bright smile. She welcomed us to her small, and what turned out to be fairly crowded, three bedroom apartment. As we entered, I could see four dark haired, olive skinned girls on the couch watching TV, three more in the kitchen, and I could hear more voices coming from other rooms. She led us through the apartment and out onto a covered balcony that had two ceiling fans running and a nice patio table and chair set, where a tea service had been set up and formal introductions were completed.

As we selected seats around the table, Charlie positioned himself where he could see the girls inside the apartment. I was not sure, but I thought Charlie was attracted to one of them.

“Chi Lee,” I started, “Mary Beth said you had something you wanted us to look into for you. How can we help?”

“Yes,” Chi Lee said, setting her tea on the table, “I heard the story from a friend of mine, so I am probably not the best to tell it. I have asked my friend, Lin Vin, to join us, and she should be here soon. I think it is best if you hear from her.”

“Okay,” I nodded. “Who are all the girls that live here with you?”

“These are all girls that I am trying to help, who were trapped into work they don’t want.”

“What do you mean trapped?” Charlie asked, not taking his eyes off of the girls sitting on the couch. “Is that like forced?”

Chi Lee smiled, “Trapped, forced, all depends on how you look at it, friend Charlie, though some may argue neither is true. Trafficking comes in many different forms, and some of it is very subtle and almost looks legal. Many of these girls fall into that category, which makes fighting the source very difficult.”

“I don’t understand.” Charlie responded with a puzzled look and a quick glance at Chi Lee.

Chi Lee laughed, “I think you find them attractive, Charlie? Perhaps one in particular?”

For the first time I noticed the focus of Charlie’s attention. She was sitting at the end of the couch, with her feet folded up under her. She had long dark hair swept over her left shoulder, which almost reached her lap. She was very beautiful, and it seemed she was noticing Charlie as well. Chi Lee signaled to her to join us on the patio, and she rose gracefully to her feet and walked shyly to the patio, standing by Chi Lee.

“Charlie, this is Maria, she is twenty four years of age and she is from the Philippines.” Chi Lee said taking Maria’s hand. “Maria, can I tell our new friends your story?”

Maria kept her eyes lowered but nodded her agreement. Chi Lee pulled a chair around and Maria sat next to her.

“As with many of the girls I deal with, Maria comes from a very poor family who has a farm in the northern Philippines. When she reached the age of twenty three, and was still unmarried, she had the responsibility to help support her family, and went seeking work. Since there was no work in her village, Maria went to the city and found an agency that would help her find work. These agencies, not only help find local work, but they also offer overseas work, and they make these overseas jobs sound very attractive because the salaries in other countries is much higher than the Philippines.

“Being from a poor family, Maria, as with all of the girls, could not afford to buy the plane ticket or to get a place to stay in another country, so the agency offered to advance her a credit for the ticket and offered a place to live on the condition the credit was paid back with interest, out of earned salary. These are legitimate agencies, and they have their clients sign legitimate contracts, but the interest rates are startlingly high, but are not regulated as in most countries. Maria flew to Singapore, where she was assigned a room to live in, along with five other girls. She was met at the airport by a local agent, who would help with paperwork and finding a job. She was told she would have to pay one hundred Singapore dollars per week for the room and buy her own food. Knowing that Maria did not have any money, the local agent offered her another credit, where he would give her cash that she would have to pay back. To make sure she paid him back, the agent took her passport.”

Chi Lee paused while she took a sip of her tea. “The employment agencies in Singapore are also legitimate business, and the new arrivals always register with them for work. However, the number of available jobs is never as high as they were told before they left their home country. Usually only two or three out of twenty will find an actual job. The rest remain unemployed and watch their credits grow. After a day or so, the local agent will tell the girls they can get jobs in some of the bars, just having drinks with customers. If they can talk a customer of the bar into buying them a drink; the bar will give some of the money to the girls. At first this seems to be a harmless way to make a little money and have a little fun, but soon a customer will take an interest in them and want to ‘rent’ them for a night. Many girls will refuse, until their agent or the bar manager get involved and remind them of their credit and the contract they signed.

“In Maria’s case, she went with the customer one night as she was told to, but refused to do what the customer asked in the hotel. When she returned to the bar, her agent took her back to the customer and then held her while the customer raped her. The agent took pictures of her being raped and threatened to send them to her family if she did not pay back her credit, and also threatened to take her family farm away if she could not satisfy her credit.”

Tears were rolling down Maria’s face as Chi Lee was telling the story, but she kept her eyes focused on her hands, which were lying in her lap. I could see the darkness forming on Charlie’s face as well.

“Maria is a devout Catholic and was saving herself for a future husband. She was a virgin when she came here. She has spent the last three weeks servicing one to two customers a night, trying to pay back her credit and save her family farm. Two days ago she tried to get asylum at the Philippine embassy, but without her passport they would not accept her. A friend of mine at the embassy called me, and I fetched her here. I am now working to get her passport back, so I can send her home.

“You see, Charlie, not all forms of trafficking are obvious and violent. Some would argue that Maria volunteered for what happen to her, but she was just looking for work to help her family. Instead, she has lost her dignity, her self-respect, and fears that her family is now in danger. The physical damage may not be as obvious, but the tears are just as real.”

Charlie slowly reached into his front pocket and removed the hand beaded rosary that he always carries with him, reached across the table and gently laid it in front of Maria. Maria’s eyes opened wide as she quickly looked at Charlie in surprise. She then turned back to the rosary, crossed herself, pick up the rosary, kissed it and held it to her chest, with her eyes closed.

Chi Lee turned to me, “This is not just a story about Maria or the Philippines. The same happens in China, Vietnam or any of the poorer countries. Target countries are not just Singapore, but Taiwan, Japan and many others. This is also not just a story about girls, as the same happens to young men, though they are more often targeted for labor, some also fall to the evil of prostitution. Stories are everywhere for that case as well. Though I have heard many stories of forced sex changes, I have never heard them in Singapore and that is what concerned me about the case I asked for your help on.”

“But, not all of the involvement is involuntary.” I said.

“Sadly, no,” Chi Lee added, “many do voluntarily involve themselves in this activity, which makes it more difficult for us to find the ones who do not. Only very few actually come forward, as these girls here.” Chi Lee swept her hand towards the apartment, “However, many more just accept their fate as they are sending some money home, thus helping their families. They believe it is a sacrifice they must make.”

The apartment suddenly became a hive of activity as the door chime rang, and a number of the girls hurried to answer the door. The activity level increased as the new arrival was recognized and greeted by all of the girls. She was taller than the rest, around five six, or five seven, with long straight black hair that reached her waist. She moved through the apartment with the fluidity and grace of a runway model, with a huge, bright smile as she greeted each of the girls. She was wearing blue jeans and a light red tee shirt that did nothing to hide the flare of her hips, slender waist, and adequate bust. In a word, she was beautiful.

Maria scrambled to her feet, still carrying Charlie’s rosary, to great the new arrival. I got the impression she was well known here. Charlie and I stood and Chi Lee rose to greet her friend at the door to the balcony.

“Dan, Charlie,” Chi Lee started, “I would like to introduce my friend Lin Vin Wie. Lin, Charlie Swenson and Dan McNeil.”

Lin Vin greeted Charlie and then extended her hand to me. Her eyes were black, but sparkled like diamonds, and her smile was infectious. Her fingers were long and slender, though her hands seemed large, with perfectly manicured nails. I was actually feeling butterflies as I took her hand.

We all returned to our seats with Lin Vin taking the seat that Maria had been in. Maria shyly walked up to Charlie and placed the rosary in his right hand.

“Do you speak English?” Charlie asked Maria.

“A little.” Maria responded, holding her thumb and forefinger a small space apart as a symbol.

“Maria, this was my sister’s,” Charlie said, holding up the rosary, “I can’t let you have it, but I will let you keep it until I can get you another one. Okay?”

It was clear from the look on Maria’s face that she did not understand what Charlie was saying. Lin Vin started speaking to Maria in a language that I did not recognize, but the smile on Maria’s face translated the meaning. She slowly took the rosary back from Charlie, looped it over her head and allowed it to rest on her chest. Maria then took Charlie’s right hand with both of hers, raised it off of the table while bowing her head.

“Salamat po” Maria said, as she touched the back of Charlie’s hand to her forehead.

Charlie had a very confused look on his face as Maria released his hand.

“You have done her a great honor, Charlie,” Lin Vin explained. “The bow she just performed is called the ‘Mano’ and it is usually reserved for elders that are held in high regard. I will show you later where you can get a rosary for Maria that will not be too expensive.”

Lin Vin turned to Maria and said a couple of things that I did not understand. Maria bowed slightly to Lin Vin and then smiled widely at Charlie before going back into the apartment.

“What language was that?” Charlie asked, a little blushed.

“It is Tagalog, the primary language of the Philippines, but not the only one.” Lin Vin answered.

“You sound fluent in it,” I quizzed. “Are you from the Philippines also?”

“No, Dan, I am a Singaporean, but I am fluent in six different languages. I speak English, Tagalog, Mandarin Chinese, Thai, German and French. I have a smattering of a few others, but would not consider myself fluent in them.”

I smiled, “Wow, and I can barely get by in English. Even Charlie laughs when I try Spanish.”

“You don’t ‘try’ Spanish, boss,” Charlie interjected, “you butcher Spanish.”

Lin Vin smiled and looked straight into my eyes, “What can I do for you, Dan?”

I could feel those butterflies again as I searched for words, but Chi Lee answered first, “Dan and Charlie were sent here by my friend in the U.S. that I told you about. They are interested in the forced feminization story you told me.”

Lin Vin’s smile faded as she nodded, “I have a friend, well, not really a friend, more of an acquaintance, someone that I am trying to work with, who relayed the story to me. She is from Thailand and she claims she became a ladyboy because she was forced to.”

“Is she still being forced here in Singapore?” I asked.

“The story gets kind of complicated,” Lin Vin sighed, “and it is probably best to hear it directly from her. But the high level is, as a ‘he’ Pariwin, that is her name, answered a job ad in Bangkok. She said some of the applicants, who thought they got the job, were sent to another place where they were locked in rooms and forced to have sex with male customers. Over time, some of the young men disappeared, and I don’t know what that means,” Lin Vin raised her hand as if to stop questions, “while the others were forced to start changing into ladyboys. That is breast implants, hormones, makeup, clothes, etc.”

This was not sounding anything at all like what I was, maybe secretly hoping for, but Stephanie said I needed to work this case. “Is there a chance that I can meet with your friend… What did you say the name was?”

“Her Thai name is Pariwin, but her street name here is Sandy. She does not have a phone, or at least I don’t have the number, but I do know where she works if you want to try to find her.”

“Do you think she would be willing to talk to me?” I asked.

Lin Vin thought for a second, “I am not sure, but we can try. It will probably cost you a little bit of money.”

“That should not be a problem, when can we meet her?”

“She will not go to work until after nine tonight, and we can try to find her then.” Lin Vin glanced at Charlie, who was still watching Maria. “If I may make a suggestion.” Lin Vin added, looking back at me.

“Sure.”

“I would suggest the four of us, you, me, Charlie and Maria, meet for dinner around seven thirty. I will give you a tour of the area and then we can try to find Pariwin.”

“Why Maria?” Charlie asked, as if just joining the conversation.

Lin Vin unleashed the thousand watt smile, “First, because I think you would like that, and you can give her a new rosary that you will buy this afternoon. Second, and more seriously, where we are going, single men walking around will get a lot of attention, However, a man walking with a woman will be completely ignored. I think it would be better if we were ignored.”

With a plan made, Lin Vin gave Charlie the name of a mall close to our hotel where he could get a rosary, and then gave me the address and restaurant name where we would meet for dinner. Charlie took a few extra minutes saying goodbye to Maria, and assuring her that she could keep the rosary until tonight, and we took a taxi back to our hotel.

I really didn’t think I was that tired or needed the rest, but as soon as I reclined on the hotel bed, under the flow of the air conditioner, three hours disappeared on me and the next thing I knew my cell phone alarm was going off telling me it was time for dinner. As soon as I stepped out of the shower, I looked at my reflection in the mirror, and stopped while I studied the hairy mess growing on my face. I had the sudden urge to get rid of it, and I really wasn’t sure why. However, fifteen minutes of scissors and razor my face was clean for the first time in six months.

I called Charlie and agreed to meet in the lobby in fifteen minutes. I arrived first and was sitting in one of the chairs when I saw Charlie get off of the elevator. At first I did not recognize him, and when I did I could not help but start laughing. The Charlie that got off of that elevator was clean shaven, hair washed and brushed, wearing a pair of slacks and polo style golf shirt. I had never seen the kid in anything but blue jeans, tee shirt and hairy face.

“My, but don’t you look nice,” I teased, “you have a date or something?”

Charlie kind of blushed but returned my smile, “How about you, baby face, you trying to impress someone?”

I laughed, slapped him on the shoulder and headed for our taxi. On the ride to dinner I stared out the window asking myself that same question, was that why I shaved? To impress Lin Vin? But that would be cheating on Stephanie, and I couldn’t do that. I started to feel guilty and told myself I had to be careful, I needed to control myself. I owe too much to Stephanie, I couldn’t let her down.

The taxi dropped us off on a very busy street lined with outdoor restaurants sitting side by side. Though the cooking areas were separated by walls, the seating areas were so closely packed together it was impossible to tell where one restaurant stopped and the next started. There were huge crowds of people in and around the seating areas and walking up and down the street, while I tried looking for the name of the restaurant that Lin Vin had told me. Suddenly I felt someone grab my hand and just before I jerked it away, saw Maria between Charlie and me, holding each of us by the hand and steering us back the way we came.

The staccato sound of hundreds of voices, all in different languages and accents was a bit overwhelming but Maria was guiding us through the crowd like she had a homing beacon. We were almost on top of Lin Vin before I saw her stand and wave. She was wearing a black dress that stopped just above her knees, three inch high heels and pink lipstick that matched the color of her nails, which were a different color than they had been earlier today. I could feel the butterflies start again, followed quickly by an equal dose of guilt. Maria released my hand and led Charlie around to the other side of the table. Lin Vin offered her hand, and as I took it, she leaned in and gave me a light kiss on the cheek, the same type of greeting that I had seen her give Chi Lee earlier in the day, but it felt like much more than that to me.

“Good to see you found us,” Lin Vin said with a smile, “and I like the smooth skin.”

I felt myself blush a little, “No, it is a good thing Maria found us, or we may have been lost forever. It is always like this?”

“Crowded? Yes. There are some very good restaurants down this street and it is very popular. This is a Saturday night so many people are out tonight.”

Across the table, Maria and Charlie were still standing as Maria removed the rosary from around her neck and handed it back to Charlie. Charlie palmed the beaded rosary and put it in his left pocket while he pulled a box out of his right pocket. I was a little surprised to see this was a jewelry store box, not something from one of the many discount trinket stores that we had seen. I heard Maria gasp as Charlie opened the box and removed a gold rosary that had all four points of the cross ornamented with some colored stones. There were definitely tears in Maria’s eyes when Charlie put the rosary around her neck.

Lin Vin had already ordered dinner, and the waiters started arriving with large platters of crab in chili sauce. Dinner was an amusing event and I think Maria and Lin Vin had the most fun with it, but we were all laughing. Charlie had never used chopsticks before, and though I had, I was nowhere near an expert. Between getting expert instruction, and watching food fly around the table, and off the table, it kept everyone laughing and the jokes flowing. As the wait staff was clearing our table, I realized this did feel more like a date than a working dinner, and the guilt began flowing again, so I needed to get back on track.

With the meal paid for, Lin Vin said we would just walk from here, so we started a slow stroll down the crowded street with Lin Vin next to me, Charlie and Maria a few feet behind us. Maria was also wearing high heels tonight which made the height difference with Charlie a little less than a foot. Lin Vin, on the other hand, was also wearing heels but hers brought her to almost to the same height as me.

Trying to take in the sights of everything happening around me was almost overwhelming. The constant string of restaurants, fruit stands, convenience stores and street vendors, each crowded with hundreds of people either milling around or moving between them was approaching sensory overload.

We had walked quietly for about ten minutes when I felt something touch my arm. Looking, I saw that Lin Vin had placed her left hand inside my right arm and was holding me at the elbow joint. I instinctively bent my elbow, giving her hand a place to rest.

“Do you mind?” Lin Vin said with a smile, “I understand western gentlemen usually escort ladies this way.”

I returned her smile, “Who ever said anything about me being a gentleman?”

“Oh, I am not so worried.” As her smile got wider, “You have someone special at home?”

“Yes, I do.” I answered, looking straight ahead so she could not see my eyes.

“Must be a very lucky girl.” I thought I heard a little disappointment in her voice.

Yeah, I thought to myself, very lucky, I got her killed because I am stupid.

We walked for a few more minutes and Lin Vin steered me down a side street that took off from the main road. There were enough businesses on the main road that even after dark, there was plenty of light. However, the side street we were currently on was much darker, but I could still see a lot of people ahead of us, and random business lights. Charlie and Maria had fallen a little more behind us and were walking hand in hand. Maria seemed to react more to this side street and held much closer to Charlie, wrapping both of her arms around his one.

“Where are we going?” I asked

“This is the working district.” Lin Vin answered, “this side road and the next couple up the street is where most of the girls in this area work. See those hotels ahead of us?”

I nodded.

“Those are what you would probably call flop houses. You can rent a room there for fifty sing a night, or in some, pay as low as twenty sing an hour.”

I started seeing a number of girls alongside of the road, sitting on benches, standing next to the street, or slowly walking up and down the street. There were also quite a few men here in random groups, either talking to some of the girls, or just leaning against various buildings and poles. We approached one group of three girls and as we got closer it was obvious to me that at least one of them was not a girl. However, all three seemed to recognize Lin Vin. As we got closer, all three put the palms of their hands together, as if in prayer, and raised their hands above their forehead as they bowed. Lin Vin repeated that same maneuver towards them. She then had a conversation with them in a language I did not understand. During the conversation, two of them pointed further down the street. All four repeated the same bowing maneuver and Lin Vin took my arm as we continued down the street.

“What was that?” I asked.

“Those were three Thai ladyboys, and I was asking them if they had seen Sandy.”

“What was with the bow?”

“It is a greeting custom in Thailand and is called a wai.” Lin Vin answered with a smile at my puzzled look.

“I guess I have a lot to learn. So, all of the girls here,” I asked, using my head to point, “are they being trafficked?”

“No, well, maybe some, but for the most part these are freelance workers. They are here because they choose to be. Most of the ones that are trafficked are in bars, where they can be monitored. I can take you there another time if you like.”

“I think I would like to see it, if I could. It might help me understand better.”

As we walked down the street, I could not help but being caught up in the activities going on around me. There were men wandering around and many girls trying to get their attention. Some would succeed, and standing conversations would take place. Sometimes they would separate and go different directions, sometimes they would walk away holding hands, heading for one of the cheap hotels. I was surprised that the activity was so open here, out where nearly anyone could see. I guess it really didn’t bother me that much that some wanted to make their living this way. However, it bothered the hell out of me that some, like Maria, were forced to do this so someone else could make money.

We approached another group of girls and the wai was repeated between them and Lin Vin. As the conversation started, one of the girls hurried over to the side of a building and came back leading another, quite tall girl by the hand. The new girl and Lin Vin exchanged their wai and then the new girl looked at me nervously. I assumed this was the ‘Sandy’ that we were looking for, and from the look on her face, she was not that eager to talk to me. The conversation in Thai went on for a few more minutes before Sandy nodded and Lin Vin turned to me.

“If you will give her two hundred sing dollars, she will talk to you.”

I nodded my agreement and Sandy pointed back toward the side of the building she had just come from and we all followed. I whispered to Charlie that he and Maria should say out front, on the street and keep an eye on what is going on. As we walked down the side of the building, a small courtyard opened up that had a half a dozen tables and chairs and a small convenience type store that you would never know was here. Lin Vin went to the store and bought three bottles of beer, before we took seats at one of the small tables. Sandy was sitting opposite of me with Lin Vin on the side between us.

In better light, I could see that not only was Sandy pretty tall, but she also did not look very feminine. She had the hair and makeup, breasts and was wearing the right clothes, but much of her facial structure and body structure was obviously male.

“My name is Dan.” I started, “Do you speak English?”

“A little,” Sandy responded, “but Angel will help me.” Indicating Lin Vin.

“Angel?” I asked.

“My street name,” Lin Vin responded without a smile, “I will explain later.”

“Okay, Sandy,” turning my attention back to her, “Angel tells me you were forced to become a ladyboy, true?”

Sandy looked confused so Lin Vin translated my question. “Yes.” Was the one word answer.

“Can you tell me how it happened?”

Sandy thought for a moment, “I say in Thai, Angel translate.”

Sandy thought for another moment then started speaking in Thai, Lin Vin started translating.

“There was a job advertisement in the Bangkok newspaper looking for young men between the ages of fifteen and eighteen. Since many wanted work, a lot of boys show up for interview, maybe sixty or seventy. First they just want to look at us, all had to stand and walk. Many were sent away after this and only twenty or thirty remained.

“Those of us that got to stay were told we could try out for job, but would have to travel on bus. Also told that if we went to try for job, we could not come back until job tests were over. A few others decide they don’t want to travel so they leave too. Rest of us were put on bus that had all windows painted over, could not see outside, and bus ride was really long with little water and food.

“When we got to end of bus ride, we were put in a big house and each given a private room. We were told to stay in room until we were called for. Soon a man came to my room and demanded that I give him blow job. I refused as I don’t like to do for men. He left and two other came to my room and beat me and told me I would not eat today. Same thing happen for three days until I am so hungry and scared that I give man blow job. Then they bring me food and water.

“This continues for many days. First blow job, then behind sex, then both. As long as I do what they say I get treated good and can eat. If I refuse, I am beat and no food or water. They give me girl’s clothes to wear and if I wear get extra food and water. They teach me to do makeup and if I do good I get treat, if I do bad, get punished and made to do over. One day they bring me food but I don’t have to do sex first. I was very happy, but after eating fall asleep. I wake the next day sore and with these.” Sandy grabbed both of her breasts and lifted them.

“Many days later, I was told to dress in fancy dress with makeup and high heels. When done they came took me out of my room for first time. I see others that are dressed like me that I have not seen in a long time. There are new people here, business people in suits and one lady. I was told to walk across the room in front of new people and then taken back to my room. All did the same, I think.

“Next morning I was given a bag and told to put all my things in the bag. Then they came and took me to the bus again for long bus ride but there were only three of us on bus. We were given food for bus ride and I fell asleep. When I wake, I am sitting on bench in bus terminal in Pattaya, dressed as a girl with all my things. I never see those people again.”

I think for a moment, “The new people that came to see you, what race where they?”

“Both Asian and western. From language, I think some Chinese, some Japanese.”

“What about the western people?”

“Don’t know where they are from. Have a funny accent that I don’t know. A man and woman, but woman have very long dark hair, like Angel’s”

I feel a knot forming in the pit of my stomach as I turn to Lin Vin, “Do you know any Russian?”

“A few words.”

“Say them and ask Sandy if that is what the westerners sounded like.”

Lin Vin did as I asked and Sandy nodded her head, “Yes, yes, sound like that. Very rough.”

I sit back in my chair. Could it be, could I be that lucky to pick up that trail. “Is there anyone else that I can talk to that would know about these westerners?”

Sandy thought for a moment, “Maybe other two that were sent to Pattaya with me. They still in Bangkok.”

I turn to Lin Vin, “Can you get their names, and the name or description of the place they went for the first job interview, oh, and a date this occurred?”

Lin Vin pulled a note pad out of her purse and handed it and a pen to Sandy with my request. Sandy was writing the information down while my mind was running through what I had heard. The description sounded like Robert and Anya, and I had a trail to follow. Sandy handed the note pad back to Lin Vin.

“Sandy,” I asked, “If you are now free of them, why do you keep doing this?”

Sandy smiled at me, “Because men like to fuck me and they pay me good money. I make more doing this than any other work I could do. Ask Angel, she knows.”

I turned to Lin Vin and saw a look of worry cross her face, but before I could say anything, Charlie and Maria came rushing around the building.

“Boss,” Charlie said, “Cops.”

Lin Vin jumped to her feet and rattled something off quickly in Thai to Sandy, who nodded her head in response and stood up.

“Charlie,” Lin Vin said urgently, “Take Maria and go with Sandy, she will get you out of here. Maria does not have a passport, which will be trouble if she is questioned. Take her back to your hotel, I will meet you there.”

Charlie nodded, took Maria’s hand and quickly followed Sandy through an ally way behind the convenience store. Lin Vin and I sat back down and continued to drink our beer as three police officers walked into the courtyard.

“Well, Angel, I am surprised to see you around here again,” said one of the officers, who appeared to be the older and senior officer.

“Just here visiting friends.” Lin Vin responded.

“I can see that, and who is your new friend here?” as he walked up to the table.

The other two officers had spread out behind him and were watching us. I started to stand.

“No, no, friend,” the older office said, “please stay seated. Sometimes standing can be seen as threatening and we would not want that, would we?”

I smiled, “No, we wouldn’t”

“Do you have some identification, Sir?”

I slowly reached to my back pocket and pulled out my passport and handed it to him.

“Mr. Daniel McNeil, an American. Your first time in Singapore?”

“Yes Sir.”

“Well welcome to our beautiful City, Country. However, I think there are better neighborhoods that you could be in, enjoying some fine beverages.” He said, handing my passport back to me.

“Am I doing something wrong, Officer?”

“No, no, not at all. However, this neighborhood is known for some illicit activities that you should try to avoid, isn’t that right Angel?”

Lin Vin did not respond and the officer patted her lightly on the shoulder as he walked by. “You two have a great evening, but I would recommend you find a taxi and make your way back to your hotel, Sir.”

All three officers walked to the convenience store and then entered the alleyway that Charlie had just gone down. I watched them until all were out of sight and then looked at Lin Vin. She was staring down at the table with both hands on the table. I could see her left hand was shaking badly. I reached over and gently took her left hand.

“Come on, let’s get out here.”
”ƒ

up
130 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It appears that Charlie has found someone

And been found in return, maybe just for a short time, but you never know.

Dan has found a clue as well, and maybe something else at the same time. And the plot begins to take shape.

Dan has a need to stop blaming himself for things he really had no control over, and to learn that you can move on without letting go, I think.

Maggie

It is really sad that

this type of thing goes on as much as it does. What kind of mind does it take to think it's ok to force people to do these things. Dan has really walked in the middle of something here. I'll be curious to see where you end up taking this.

Tears of the Princess -- Chapter 2

And wonder how many are in America, plying the trade for others?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Why doesn't anyone read last years stories?

Valcyte's picture

You are all missing some great writing. We need a better system. This story is just over 2 years old and based on the lack of recent comments no one has bothered to read it for 2 years. The only other possibility is that the current website doesn't reward recent commentary. Well guess what? Erin has adjusted settings on comments so that they don't auto destruct. I still think we need access to the stories with the most kudos and/or comments in a searchable fashion.