Sweet Dreams-32 The first cut is the Deepest.

Printer-friendly version

Sweet Dreams-32 The first cut is the Deepest.

Chapter 32

……………It was cold and I could see my breath. Everything was just freezing in the place. There were drafts through the whole place because we lived in an old building that was in a bad place that no building checker from the city would like to go and we were too far out of the way for them to really care.

Someone paid someone to keep it from being condemned and people like me and Momma and the stepshit got to live here. Him and her got a warmer room because they got like blankets and stuff that they stuck up over the drafty places and if I even asked for more I’d get a slap from either of them.

It never mattered what I ever wanted.

All I was to Cliff was a stupid little cunt.

I didn’t matter only Cliff mattered then his booze and drugs and Momma somewhere and there was a whole list of things that he’d likely have ahead of me.

There was cracks in the bricks that the place was made of, there was holes in the plaster and one of my windows was cracked enough that cold air kept getting inside…not that it made much of a difference because the windows were like ancient and single pane stuff so…in Detroit in February there is this moisture and chill that comes in off the lakes that sinks right into your bones when it mixed with that deep cold that blows in from the northern mid-west.

Everything hurts…I try to keep moving under my crappy blankets but it only sort of helps. I’m sleeping in a mattress on the floor so it’s damp too. I’m nine, nine and I shouldn’t be so cold that it feels like my fingers and toes are going to like freeze and crack or something…even in my lower back there’s this ache and because I’m that cold.

Every time that happens I get sick afterwards.

Momma’s out dancing she’s got a job at the Croft which is this bar out further from us nestled out where some of the old smelter factories were making steel and stuff.

So it’s just me and him.

And after awhile I’m so cold I’m crying.

“Hey…what are you crying about?”

“Nothin…” (Sniffle.)

“Don’t fucking lie to me, what are you crying about?”

(Sniffle.) “I’m c..cold…”

“Alright come on I’ll warm you up.”

I shouldn’t, I shouldn’t because my brain’s yellin Danger! Danger! But I’m so cold it hurts.

And I’m so tired of hurting ‘cause of all the other stuff.

(Sniffle.) “’Kay..”

Cliff helps me up and he has my hand and takes me to his and Momma’s room. It smells like sex, old sex and cigarettes and cigarette butts which are kinda worse especially since he’s been rolling his smokes lately from smoke butts. There’s that menthol-rubber-burned sugar smell of meth lingering and body odour only masked in the slightest way by the cheap port he’s been drinking…not like cooking wine but like that cheap in a plastic bottle whino stuff.

He lifts me and sort of pushes me up onto the bed and its warm and I can’t help but to snuggle into the foulness just for the heat, I need the heat and I can’t help but to cry as his hand just reaches out and he pulls my panties off.

“No…Cliff…no…” I sob.

SLAPP!

“Don’t you ever tell me No!”

He’s on me then, over me and I’m too small and he’s holding me down by his body weight and he kisses me with that meth-smoke-wine mouth and pipe rotting teeth…I gag but he slaps me out of gagging.

“Shut up, shut up you little slut…I’ll give you something to really cry about instead of what you really want…”

“No..”

SLAPP!

My head hits the head board and I see stars and everything is dimming in and out until I feel Cliff stick his hand between my legs and inside of me…I sort of just go limp and mewl from the hit and the helplessness…

“There we are…tight…so…tight, you’ve got a tight little pussy like your Momma used to…yeah…yeah…yeah…”

He move and shucks his clothes and he’s back on my again and he’s pushing my legs open and I squirm or try to but every time I do it makes my head swim and he puts the head of his guy thing into me and I scream…he shoves his underwear into my mouth and all I can tasted and smell is leftover sex stain, pee and skidmark…then he shoves into me…

“Oh yeah momma’s little girl…”

…………………………………… I wake screaming and I’m trying to breathe but there’s something on my face and on me and I don’t know where I am and I thrash wildly trying to get free.

“Lemme go! Lemme go!.....Fucking LET ME GO!”

Someone grabs me and I lash out fists and feet and I’m being held down and I’m fighting that and I can’t breathe right and I swear, I fucking swear I can still taste his underwear…and I gag…and gag and then whatever is in my stomach comes up in a rush and I’m hurling my guts up and it hurts…of god it hurts.

There’s two nurses there holding me and Adam’s there with a couple of cuts to his face and a welt on his cheek. He’s got this wild look like all this happened really suddenly and it’s dark in the room and night time I think…he’s holding the trash can that I’m barfing into.

I’m panting and it’s still hard to breathe and I realize that there’s a plastic thingy and bandages on my face over my nose.

I …I’m okay…I’m safe…

“Nightmare?” He asks.

(Spit.) “Yeah…I was home…and I was nine…And I was a girl this time…”

“Fuck.” There that sort of flat dark tone like he just gets it. But the nurses still sort of looked at him.

“Yeah…” It’s kind of hollow and really tired…God my heart is so tired sometimes.

“You going to be okay?”

“Dunno…sometimes it doesn’t feel like I’ll ever be okay.”

“Yeah…” he get’s up. And looks at the nurses. “Can you go to the family room and go get my son.”

“She really needs to rest sir.”

“She just had a fucking PTSD rape dream okay…you think you’d be ready to sleep after that?....................go get Alex…please.” He was right on the edge of that vengeful angry Adam but he toned it down but that “please” came through clenched teeth.

Both the nurses leave pretty fast and he sit’s on the edge of my bed and reaches over and gives me his coffee. “It’s cold and it’s black…”

“And it’ll work to get the taste out of my mouth.”

“Bad…”

“Just like real life…actually it had a lot of my real life in it.”

“Last I heard they left the state.”

“Had investigators hired to look for them?”

“Of course…they should pay for what they did to you.”

“Not everyone gets justice Adam you know that.”

“I know that’s why I’m a lawyer.”

“But that’s not the kind of law that you practice.”

“I did.”

“What happened?”

“Long story, besides I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Too bad I need the distraction.”

“Fuck… (Sigh)…” he looks at me and Alex comes in. “Dad…what happened to you?”

“Hunter’s got a good right and don’t let her hit you while she’s got her rings on.” He get’s up but I hold onto a couple of fingers. “What?”

“We finish my bedtime story later?”

“Alex take care of your girlfriend I need a smoke.”

I watch him go with that sort of saved by the bell kind of thing going on. I really wanted to hear more about this and get a better handle on the man but I’m really glad that Alex is here. I make room for him on the bed.

“So…the nurse said you had a nightmare?”

“Yeah I was little and I was me without my extra bits…and well Cliff was Cliff.”

“I ever meet him I’m going to kill him.”

“No…no you’re not…”

“Why…after what he put you through why shouldn’t I?”

“Because I want you to be a better man than that.”

“Okay…”

“Besides…”

“Besides?”

“He’s already got two strikes and he’s both skipped out on his parole officer and he’s likely done something by now that when they catch him he’s gone for good this time…Your Dad’s pretty sure him and Mom are out of the state which isn’t a surprise I’m just hoping their in a state where they still have the death penalty.”

“There’s a cheery thought.”

“Not really but holding me would go a long way towards that.”

“You’re still shaking…gimme a sec?”

“Okay…”

I’m sitting there alone and it’s…it’s bad…just now being alone…after all of this…it’s stupid, I mean there’s people around the place and he’ll be right back but it’s just like…you know when I talk about when those feelings jump you and drag you down?

It’s like they’re lurking in the shadows.

I’ve got tears starting to run down my face when Alex comes back and he wasn’t that long. He’s go my book bag and his and a blanket shoved under one arm and a Styrofoam cup in the other and he looks at me.

“Hey…whoa…it’s okay…I’m right here.”

“It’s not okay…ow… (Tried to sniffle, can’t.)…I feel so broken Alex…”

He set the drink down on the tray stand thing and the bags on the foot of the bed and he get’s up beside me on the bed and wraps me up in fresh heated clean hospital linen and pulls me into his arms.

“Oh…fu..Alex…” I sob it but it’s a mix of pain and a good sob because he got it. He really got it and he knows the things that are…him, his hugs…that way he just seems to make himself into my armor against those black dogs chasing me down. The clean sheet…the heat…

He just nods and he holds me and rocks me gently and it’s a few long minutes maybe more before I shake and cry these things out of myself and I look at him and I must be a total mess with the stuff on my face, post puking, sweaty and all that stuff and he stares back at me and he actually gives me one of his melt me smiles…not the Alex kind of sort of smirk smile like his smiles had made a mad dash to the surface of his personality but the other one…that only for you, you’re amazing and you’re special smile that is still a small smile but that’s because it’s shy.

It’s that amazing cute little boy before the stuff that happened looking at you from around the corner and smiling at you.

I feel changed by that you know…I feel like that little girl liking that little boy with a flower in her hand.

And looking like this, after that nightmare….

He kisses me really carefully and really gently and I feel safe… yeah that safe all over again and I feel treasured and I feel loved…god I feel love in that just for me, it could only be for me loved kind of way and it’s like the best feeling and the best medication in the world knowing that there’s someone there with that love that we’re all wanting…

Aching for and scared to believe in.

Then he smiles that smile again and it just sinks into my heart and he reaches for our bags and takes out his laptop and set’s it up.

“I figured sleep was going to be a no go so I thought we could watch a movie?”

“Okay…it’s not like I’ve seen many yet.”

“Yeah I love that about you actually.”

“I love that you can find things to love about me…”

“Of course I can….” He passes me the Styrofoam cup and its hot chocolate and it’s the powdered stuff but it’s still hot chocolate he knows me that well…. “Hunter…the best stuff comes from the broken things…mosaics, collages, the prize in the bottom of the cereal boxes…there’s such thing as treasure without the sunken ship…there’s not chocolate happening to peanut butter…You are exactly who you are as you are no matter what…You’re the girl I fell in love with right there in the afternoon sunshine on that back of that bus.”

“But that was the day that we met.” I’m smiling and my heart is doing these great big huge aching love thumps.

“Yeah, it was love at first sight.”

“Love at first sight?”

“Yeah…we’re here aren’t we.?”

I look at him and it’s just true…here in the hospital room I can sort of see him when we met too just as clear as can be in my mind and even if I had no idea…it’s true…I fell for him then…honestly I really do.

I kiss his gently, softly but a little harder than he kissed me.

“I’m so glad that your chocolate crashed into my peanut butter.”

God I love making him smile.

up
203 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nah!

Andrea Lena's picture

Come now, dear!? You know that anything worth saying is worth repeating, aye?

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Another excellent chapter

Poor kid,

even when things are going well her terible past tries to snatch it away from her.

I like how we are learning so much more about her lover's dad and also about her own past. Whether she will get justice is to be seen but god help anyone who tries to hurt her now.

The more I read of her life the more I understand why this family -- and she is the one who is making it a real family -- loves her so.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Abuse and trauma seldom goes away easily.

Hunter would be the first one to say a lot of her troubles is her mind having too much time to process this stuff when before she was busy surviving and that part of her is addicted to being hurt. Her brain is so used to operating in worse conditions she's sure it's dredging stuff up just to feel normal.

*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

This story-

is so painful to read sometimes, but it only makes the sweetness all that more intense. It's a triumph over such adversity that most of us can't even imagine it. The victory over that by these two souls is beyond mere heartwarming. Now excuse me while I search for another box of tissue. Used this one up, darn!

Biggest of Hugs
Grover

I'm so glad that I can still keep this flavor going.

There are things that seem to make a story and sometimes it the hard to deal with stuff. Hunter has been so dragged through life she's covered in psychic road-rash but like Hunter always does she finds a way to make it through...but now she doesn't have to do it alone.

*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey

Bailey Summers

Mew...

If I wore makeup I'd have to send you a bill for it...

Ooops Sorry:)

But I'm really glad that you liked it.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

...

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I couldn't read all of this chapter, it was too painful at times like the early chapters of the story. I honestly feel my hackles going up at just the appearance of Cliff in a scene. For the moment he's gone except the version tormenting Hunter's dreams but he is still out there, probably still doing terrible things. I hope Adam's people do one day find him so he can be brought to justice.

As for Alex... what isn't there to love about that boy? Hunter is right though, she needs Alex to be a better man if he is to help her. Alex really needs to be the best he can be and overcome some of that bitterness and tragedy in his past. Together, the two of them are so much stronger. And so in love, that really comes across. Chocolate and peanut butter. That line is just so sweet. :-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

It was really hard to write Jemima but so needed too.

I love writing for Hunter and for Alex too and you're so right about him becoming the guys that Hunter really needs but there's also the fact that he will really need her to get to that point.

I Love the chocolate and peanut butter line too:)
I'm so glad that this story still is touching the right notes.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Touching the right notes?

No, you're playing an amazing conert, Bailey!

I love the imagery you use. I could feel the chill Hunter felt, the evil slime from Cliff, the violence of the struggle between Hunter, the nurses and Adam, the vision of Alex as Hunter's armor, even the peanut butter and chocolate metaphor.

I just realized what it is that makes your stories so good. You have a real talent for painting a song with your words. It's amazing!

I love this stuff!

Big Hugz!

Wren

I knew that you'd get that imagery Wren:)

There is a stark reality to parts of Detroit that are very slowly changing but still...it's all very real. I really try to use these things to get the story to a real feel but to still have all the creative spots and moments that you can write into a story.

I'm glad that you love this!
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

wow, you

co-opted a reeses commercial, and you did it so well. one way or another I can see justice coming for Hunter at some point, whether its from Adam or from her dad that at this point she does not know is still out there.
tough but good chapter, thanks

Yeah that was nice with the chocolate and peanut butter.

But also if I didn't have what was going to happen with Cliff and her Mom I'd be really Tempted to do a bit with William Hunter Sr. dealing with things.
*Hugs and Howls.*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Pill boxes...

Andrea Lena's picture

...you know the kind divided according to the day of the week? Even diligent folks who want to get better need reminders sometimes to take their medication; distractions and even the pain of the moment keep them from using the help they already have?

He kisses me really carefully and really gently and I feel safe… yeah that safe all over again and I feel treasured and I feel loved…god I feel love in that just for me, it could only be for me loved kind of way and it’s like the best feeling and the best medication in the world knowing that there’s someone there with that love that we’re all wanting…

Even as something as precious and certainly as helpful as this needs to be rehearsed in her heart and her mind; knowing that it's available when those horrors come in the night or the terror that stalks her heart by day...something that many of us here deal with even now. This was very very hard to read, but once again, even the parts that tastes horrible can be medicine for my soul. Thank you, Bailey.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I think with all those who've suffered like Hunter that

telling themselves that they did survive, that they are not the abuse, that they are worthy of love and just worthy as a person is something that has to be a mantra, a hope and even a belief in order to climb out of that darkness.

Actually I find huge amounts of hope and inspiration from so many here on BCTS that somehow manage to keep going.

*Great Big Anchoring Hugs*
You all can hold on to me as much as you need...I do my damndest to help pull you out of those holes.
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Okay, so I lost it completly reading this chapter ,,,,

"I feel so broken, Alex" ...

“Hunter…the best stuff comes from the broken things…mosaics, collages, the prize in the bottom of the cereal boxes…"

I wept so many times reading this, I may have a puddle under my chair, but at the point above, well, I totally lost it, and turned into a puddle myself.

Dam, Bailey. I want to marry that man, and I dont even like guys ...

Thanks so much for this.

DogSig.png

It's the way I was raised...Brandon, Taylor, Alex are all

guys that are parts of the lessons in how to treat people and how to love that I learned from my Dad. He was so one of those Guys...I like writing for those guys. They are real, they do exist.
But I'd like to think that he'd really have taught a daughter he was close to the same way.

I'm so glad the warmth and care and love came through so solidly.
*Great Big Angel Hugs*
Bailey...A Proud Supporter of Team Dorothy.

Bailey Summers

I'm a little old

but if you're dad was around, I'd want him to adopt me.

DogSig.png

That wouldn't have meant a thing Dorothy:)

He'd have taken in his new Daughter with pride and made sure She'd always known She was loved and supported.

"When you're a dad...you're a dad...why does it stop at your door?"
It's something that's always stuck with me that he said.
*Great Big Loooooooooooooooooong Hugs*

Bailey Summers

After the fact attack

Jamie Lee's picture

During one of Alex's nightmares Hunter was worried about waking him because of possible getting hurt. Now it Hunter who is the one who shouldn't be woke during one of her night time attacks. Or at least stay out of range of her flailing arms.

Besides what Adam grew up experiencing, besides Liz's death, Adam has something else he's running from. Something which effected him so much he switched his field of law. He made a mistake letting Hunter know there's something else he's hiding, because she will get him to tell her, or all of them, what he's hiding. But he needs to tell them no matter how hard it will be.

Others have feelings too.

Once the front door issue is fixed

their lovemaking will be less shitty.

Ouch! This is something I would say as the last comment.

OK. This one got to me again

Alice-s's picture

Yep, blubbing like a good un. I realy love Hunter. OK it was alcohol for my family, rather than drugs, but yeah. Lots of tissues in this one.