Sarah Carerra - 3.11 - Big Treble in Little Chorus

Printer-friendly version
Mr. Benson had an excited gleam in his eyes when I sat down, and when he was excited, it usually meant doing something I didn't want to do. Last time I'd had to get up and sing my solo for the class.

Sarah Carerra 3: Concerto in A-
Chapter 3.11 - Big Treble in Little Chorus

by Megan Campbell
Copyright  ©2012 Megan Campbell
Released: April 23, 2012

Editor Note: The images used for this story were purchased and used under royalty-free license* from iStockphoto.com . ~Sephrena
Author Note: Please email me at AngelJediGirl (at) gmail (dot) com before posting this story to any other site. Posting to a pay site is prohibited.

Comments and suggestions are also welcome at the above email address.

*  *  *

Sarah Carerra Book 3: Concerto in A-

Chapter 3.11 - Big Treble in Little Chorus

I groaned loudly at the knock on the door to my bedroom. I knew who was there, and I knew what she wanted. But I wanted to sleep longer. A moment later the door opened. I knew I should have locked the door last night.

"Megan, you promised me," she said, playing to the weaker side of my heart. I groaned again, but slowly threw back the covers. Even though the concert had started early last night I still didn't get to bed until 3:00 AM. I needed more sleep.

"I hate you," I told her while I half-blindly started to pull off my pajamas.

"No you don't," my mom replied. The silly grin she was giving me didn't help my mood as I opened the door to the shower and stepped inside. The warm water, however, did brighten my mood.

When I walked into the kitchen of my aunt and uncle's house, I was much more awake. I knew I'd probably be napping on the flight home, but for now I had to go to church.

It was odd to be wearing the wig with the yellow dress mom had insisted I pack for church. Sarah's clothes usually had much more glam, for one thing. But the fact that Sarah Carerra had never stepped foot into a church really made me feel odd. I wasn't sure how the congregation was going to react to my presence, and all I really wanted to do was go to the services and get out of there so I could go back to sleep.

The ride to church was uncomfortable, since we had crammed into Uncle Kevin's minivan. Thankfully Amy opted to stay behind, since she wasn't a member of our religion, and I convinced Cole and Mason, also non-members, to stay with her. They were wary about leaving me unprotected in such a crowded place, but I knew church would be a place where I would be safe.

Many people stared at me as we walked across the parking lot and into the building. I received many more stares when I followed my family to an empty pew in the chapel. It was obvious that the majority of the people there hadn't expected someone like me to enter this morning. But thankfully, they left me alone. I signed autographs for some of the younger people when we stepped back outside after the services were over, but it didn’t last long because we had a flight to catch. Less than two hours later I leaned back in my seat as the plane lifted off the ground and I closed my eyes.

---

I was somewhat more rested when I woke up for school Monday morning, though I was much more depressed. After getting home from the airport I was met with news that caused my heart to ache.

After eight weeks on top, 'You Can't Hurt Me' had dropped to number two in yesterday's Top 40. I knew the day had to come eventually, and I was more than grateful for the lengthy time that the song had spent at number one. But that didn't make its fall any easier. I hoped that it would reclaim the top spot next Sunday, but I wasn't holding my breath. I had a feeling that people were ready to move on. Luckily, 'Ever After' would soon make its debut on the radio soon.

My friends tried to comfort me as we drove to school, but it didn't really work. I smiled and laughed with them as I told them all about the antics of the weekend, but deep down inside I was hurting. I also had a nagging suspicion that hurt was going to be a precursor to my day. Jared Lumbart was supposed to return from school today after his two week suspension. I didn't know if he was going to be even more upset with me now, or if he had finally come to his senses. I hoped I wouldn't meet him in the halls to find out.

Most of the morning was uneventful. The pop quiz in first period and the note-taking in second helped keep my mind off the fall of my all-time greatest hit from the top of the charts. Everyone around went about their business unaware that such a momentous feat in my life had ended.

My classmates left me alone in my fugue. Time went by, but I didn't remember much. I wasn't fully aware of anything until I stepped into the locker room for P.E. and heard someone yell my name.

"That's Megan!" someone yelled in an accusing tone as I walked down the short hall toward the lockers. Of what, I was unsure. I stopped in mid-step and looked into Coach Anderson's office.

Amber Hartfield was standing there with a woman who almost looked like an older version of her. I assumed that it was her mother. Amber's mom tilted her head sideways, giving me a curious look. The hatred that was streaming from her daughter did not appear to be reflected in her own gaze.

"This is the boy in your P.E. class?" Amber's mom asked her daughter incredulously.

"Yes!" Amber actually screamed in reply. It had been two weeks since the incident I'd had with her in the locker room, and she hadn't done anything else. I thought that we had come to an understanding, or at least an uneasy truce. Apparently, I was wrong. Not only was she still livid about me being in this class, she had gone so far as to get her mother involved!

"I can assure you, Mrs. Hartfield, that Megan Campbell has always been female," Coach Anderson said. I felt as though I had just walked in on a discussion I did not want to be involved in.

I was about to say something when I caught the look Coach Anderson was giving me. It was part apology and part pleading that I not get involved. I nodded imperceptibly back at her and turned to continue down the hallway. I was saddened that Amber still seemed to have a vendetta against me. Most of the other girls in the class had come around after Amber had stripped me of my towel. The last two weeks together had been enough for them to get to know me, and most of the girls realized that I wasn't any different than them.

I didn't hear anything else while getting ready, and when Amber finally joined us in the gymnasium where we were doing our opening stretches, she looked furious. Whatever happened, it probably wasn't what Amber was hoping for. She didn't try anything else during class or back in the locker room, and I was grateful to get out of there safely once again. I was going to have to keep my eye on Amber though, because I just knew she wasn't through tormenting me.

I was able to concentrate a bit better during the rest of the school day. I would have preferred to be up on stage, but I knew we don't always get what we want. Instead I had to get my homework assignments for tomorrow, because I was going to be flying to Salt Lake City in the morning for the only weekday concert left on my tour schedule. I knew that if I came back on Wednesday without having my homework done Dad was going to kill me.

It was with a relief, for once, that I walked into Chorus for my last period of the day. While I wasn't too keen on singing in front of my classmates, it was certainly a nice break from the normal school work that our teachers gave us. I always enjoyed singing, even if it was with a group of other people.

But the bad luck that had been following me since I arrived back in Los Angeles reared its ugly head once again in Chorus.

Mr. Benson had an excited gleam in his eyes when I sat down, and when he was excited, it usually meant doing something I didn't want to do. Last time I'd had to get up and sing my solo for the class.

"Welcome, welcome," Mr. Benson greeted us once the bell had rung. "It's going to be an exciting day!"

I looked over at Ethan, who was sitting beside me, with raised eyebrows. He almost broke out in laughter.

"Today we’ll determine who the top two singers in the class are," our teacher continued. My shoulders sagged at the realization that I would likely be singing again. "Now that everyone has had a chance to sing their solo, I have narrowed it down to four individuals. When we perform with Sarah, these individuals will likely get some special performance time, and will also lead in many of our performances throughout the year."

I lifted my head quickly and gazed at him in shock, much like the rest of the class. While the other class members seemed to be buzzing with excitement now, I was trying to figure out how Mr. Benson could promise something like that! I didn't even know the details of what the Christmas performance would entail yet! There was no way he should be promising anybody in the class anything when it came to the performance!

"Will the following individuals please stand," he continued while looking at a piece of paper. I had a feeling he had the names memorized though. "Mark Corbin, Jane Morrison, Ethan Knight, and Megan Campbell."

I stood up to join the two individuals on either side of me. I was happy to hear that two of my best friends in the class were also two of the students that Mr. Benson felt had the most potential, though perhaps a bit surprised. However, the inclusion of Mark Corbin in the group of names left a sour taste in my mouth. He was a good singer, but he had big issues. I could guarantee that if he managed to "win" this little contest, he would not be getting any stage time with Sarah Carerra. My friends however...only time would tell.

"These are your top two boys and top two girls," Mr. Benson said while handing each of us some sheet music. I looked down and recognized it as a duet that was currently fairly popular on the radio. "They will be singing together so that you can hear both of them at once. After each song we will vote as a class on which of them will be lead boy and lead girl this year. The two other students will be secondary leads at our performances."

There was some groaning and complaining from the other students in the class as they realized that they had not been chosen to be featured singers in any of the songs we would be singing together. I could understand why. The rush that I got when I was the center of attention on a stage was addictive, and I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to feel it over and over again. I knew, however, that I wouldn't be leading any of our performances. That was one way that would make it easy for people to guess my secret, and that was totally unacceptable!

Jane and I spent the next ten minutes learning the song while the boys worked on their own song, and the rest of the class did another exercise with Mr. Benson. Jane seemed to be in awe that she had been chosen with me. She still seemed to think that I was the best singer that she had ever heard, even though I didn't have a record contract (that she knew about). I, on the other hand, was pleased to see that she was gaining some confidence in her voice. I didn't know if she would be able to get a record contract, but I sincerely hoped that she tried to get one. Better yet, I started to wonder if I should set up a meeting between Scott and her.

Once we both felt we were about as familiar as we were going to be with the duet we would be singing together, we signaled for Mr. Benson. After conferring with the boys he called the class, which had quickly fallen to chatting between each other, back to order.

Jane and I went first. We sang through the song we had been quietly practicing together. I was torn between trying to throw the competition and living up to the professional standard that I had started to set for myself. On one hand I wanted to do everything that I could to keep myself from gaining any recognition in the class. But on the other hand I couldn't deny my love of singing and my desire to give the best performance that I could any time I was in front of an audience.

I had a hard time trying to reign myself in. I felt bad when I watched the faces of the crowd and learned that even when trying to dampen my abilities they seemed to prefer my singing to Jane's. I knew before we had even stopped singing that I was going to get the majority of the votes from the class. It was iffy in Mark's circle of friends, but the rest of the class had already made up their minds. I had stood in front of enough crowds while singing to understand what was happening. I had won them over, and I hadn't wanted to.

"You should win," I whispered to Jane as we finished and the class started to cheer.

"No way!" she shot back at me. I sighed, seeing the same look in her eyes that I had seen from most of the class. Even after singing a duet with her, Jane was going to vote for me.

Mr. Benson had us vote by raising our hands. I voted for Jane, and I was happy to see Ethan do the same. Mark and some of his friends also voted for her, but it was nowhere near a majority.

I had never regretted my ability to sing until that moment, when the majority of the hands were raised to vote for me. I turned to Jane, who had her hand enthusiastically raised. But I could see the disappointment in her eyes too. I knew that she was one of Sarah's biggest fans, but I also knew that she hoped to gain some recognition herself. She deserved to lead the class in our performances, not me. I was going to have to talk to Mr. Benson about the results. There was no way that I was spearheading any of our performances, except for the one that would have Sarah's name plastered all over it!

Ethan and Mark were up next. Their competition appeared to be much closer. Sitting in the crowd, I couldn't accurately tell who had more of the vote. Ethan obviously had my vote, but even I had to admit that Mark could sing.

When it came time to vote Mr. Benson had to actually count the hands. I sat and watched in despair as Mark won with two votes more than Ethan. Ethan looked very despondent when he took his seat next to me, and I wrapped my arms around him to comfort him. He stiffened for a moment, before letting the hug seep into his bones. He knew it didn't mean more than a friendly, supportive hug, but it was something he needed at the time even if he wouldn't admit it.

"Alright," Mr. Benson interrupted us. "Mark and Megan, please step up here for a moment."

I grimaced, but stood up and walked forward until I was at the teacher's side. Mark was standing on the other side of Mr. Benson.

"These two are your leading male and female for the year," Mr. Benson told the class excitedly. "That doesn't mean that the rest of you won't get your chance to shine, but I want you to watch these two and try to learn everything you can from them. Both of them have had some training, and they have a lot to teach."

My eyes narrowed for a moment! I had never had any real training before, but I didn't argue with him. If he assumed that, instead of how my experiences over the course of the last few months had shaped my ability, then all the better.

"But," Mr. Benson continued. "This wouldn't be a proper contest if we didn't crown an ultimate winner."

My heart started pounding as he picked up two more bundles of paper and handed one to Mark and me! I looked down, and gasped. It was another duet, but...

"You have 15 minutes," Mr. Benson told us. "Then we'll truly find out which of you is the better singer." He had an amused smile on his face that neither Mark nor I shared.

Mr. Benson directed us to the corner where the boys had been practicing earlier, and I reluctantly followed Mark.

"You better not show me up, or else!" was the first thing that escaped Mark's mouth once we were out of hearing range of the class, who had already started in on some more vocal exercises.

I sighed. "Let's just get through this," I told him, not in the mood to fight. "Once one of us wins I can talk to Mr. Benson and get him to make Jane the lead girl. I don't want it."

Mark's eyes actually widened in surprise at my declaration. He had never considered the fact that I didn't want this type of recognition. It was obvious that he was reveling in the attention he was getting, but nothing I received in this class compared to what I got when I was on stage at one of my concerts. More importantly, any recognition I received here would only bring the truth closer to being revealed, and that was something that I could NOT let happen!

"Whatever," he responded, and I could tell he was unsure of how to take my request. But he turned to the sheet music, which is what I was hoping for.

An uneasy truce existed between us as we practiced together. This was the last song I wanted to sing with him, and I knew the feeling was mutual from him. But there was no way we were getting out of it, so we would have to make the best of the situation.

All too soon we were back in front of the class singing 'I've Had the Time of My Life' for them. Mark was the last person I wanted to sing a love song with. I knew I could get through it, but more importantly, I knew I could outshine him as we sang. Unlike earlier in the day when I had held back to give Jane a better chance at winning, I did the opposite while singing with Mark. I poured everything I had into that song to ensure that Mark wouldn't have the chance to even mount an attempt to come close to me. And as I watched the crowd, I once again knew that I was succeeding. Unlike Mark, who had obviously never spent much time on stage, I knew how to work a crowd. I pulled out all of the stops that I'd learned in my short performing career.

The cheering as we finished was the loudest I had ever heard from the class. It even looked like a few of the girls had tears in their eyes at our rendition of the song.

When the clapping and cheering started to die down I took a bow for the crowd, before smiling at Mark's quick attempt to do the same. He looked a bit clumsy out of the corner of my eye, but I knew from much practice that my bow had been very fluid. It was the same bow I used at the end of each concert, which I hoped nobody noticed.

"Alright," Mr. Benson called the students to order once again. "Those in favor of Megan, raise your hand."

The smile that was still on my lips spread even wider as I watched the majority of the hands in the classroom start to rise. There was an awestruck quality to the faces of those that the hands were attached to, and I inwardly chuckled at how easy it was to manipulate a crowd. I still didn't know what exactly made so many people like my music, but I was starting to learn how to give them the best show that I could.

I heard a choking noise from beside me, and I glanced over to see the confounded expression that graced Mark's face. But he was staring at someone in particular, and I looked back at the crowd to see whom. What I saw caused my own expression to become one of surprise. Andrea Cooper, who adored Mark and secretly harbored hope that he would one day ask her out, had her hand raised. She was excitedly staring at me, avoiding the glance that might just ostracize her from her group of friends. Not only had I resoundingly beat Mark, but I had won over one of his own friends.

I smiled wider.

---

"Can I talk to you for a minute, Mr. Benson?" I asked as the rest of the class was exiting the room. The bell had rung to indicate the end of school, and they were quick to leave the establishment. I, on the other hand, had business to take care of.

Mr. Benson sighed. It was obvious he knew what I was going to say.

"Yes, Megan," he said. "But I don't want to hear it. You are by far the best singer in this chorus, and I would be remiss if I didn't use your talents. I know that you don't want to be a lead, but I urge you to reconsider. You can do a lot for this class. They look up to you."

I paused, unsure of how to respond to that. He had made it sound like not taking the lead would be akin to me letting the whole class down. I didn’t think it was that dire.

"But I--" I started. I was interrupted before I could say anything else.

"Look, Megan," my teacher said, gently but more forcefully. "I'm honored to have someone like you in my class. I've never had someone with your experience and charisma in my class before. There is a lot that I can learn from you. The way you can control and entice a crowd while up on stage is amazing! I can't wait to see what we can put together for the Christmas concert. But until then, please consider leading this class for me. With you as a role model we can bring these other students up to a new level of excellence together."

I choked, unable to find words to respond with! Despite all of my hopes and wishes, Mr. Benson knew who I really was! He knew that Sarah Carerra was in his classroom, and he wanted her to help teach his class! The look he gave me told me how much he hoped I would be able to offer the class. I knew that Dad wouldn't have told him the truth, and Principal Hall had promised not to tell him, but Mr. Benson had found out anyway! And now he was putting me on the spot!

"I know why you are trying to keep this a secret," he said. "I promise you that it is not my intention to expose you. I will do my best to find ways that you can help the class without bringing attention to yourself. If I can do that will you at least think about helping me?"

I was still struck speechless, and the only thing I could do was nod.

* * *

Chapter 12 - Utah State Fair
Coming Soon...

* * *

Want more Sarah Carerra?
Book 1: I Am A Rock Star is now available for the Kindle! Click here for more information. Become a fan of Sarah Carerra by joining her on Facebook or Twitter by clicking the buttons below.
Follow SarahCarerra on Twitter   The Official Sarah Carerra Facebook Page

If you've read book 1 I'd love it if you shared your opinions with others. Review the Kindle version at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006IZG49M. :)

up
307 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Emotional.

I don't know how Sarah can handle the turmoil of a double life. I am only a reader and my emotions were all over the map while reading this installment.

Sarah Carerra

If the teacher has known who she really is, he is causing problems for the future she does not need though. Now is Megan going to ask her Father to help the other girl with a recording try out?

Richard

Keeping persons separate

Well, one of the things Megan needs to really talk with him about is keeping her different persons separate. She should try to get him to basically arrange circumstances so that her being missing when Sarah is there becomes a non-issue for the purposes of not raising suspicions. Statements like "When we perform with Sarah, these individuals will likely get some special performance time, and will also lead in many of our performances throughout the year." are only making it harder for her.

You really have a way with words!

Megan,

I feel like I am in front of the class singing when I read your story, feeling all the emotions you describe. You really have a gift for drawing the reader into the story. I continue to enjoy all of it, but also wonder how much longer Megan can keep her secret.

Suzij

Sarah Carerra - 3.11 - Big Treble in Little Chorus

Her dad and the principal and now music teacher are not thinking about her needing to keep her two lives seperate. Will she finally declare an end and force them to stop endangering her? Do they even care that outing her can destroy her?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Huge mistake.

In my opinion, it was a HUGE mistake for Sarah top have even taken chorus. What was she thinking. Hows could she possibly think that she could get away with using her real voice around the other students and the teacher who is trained to listen to voice quality.

In the real world a celebrity with her fame would be followed day and night by the Paparazzi, people in the church could have taken cell phone photos of Sarah surrounded by her real parents. There is way too much evidence at hand not to have someone but "two and two together. I can possibly see a storm coming!

Love the allusion...

Andrea Lena's picture

...to one of my favorite all-time semi-bad movies, dear. Your girl seems to be careening downhill at a much faster pace to the inevitable discovery that the girl in the wig is the girl they go to school with. I don't expect you planned on keeping her identities separate until she was forty, anyway. We haven't seen her spend much time with her therapist; Mary's the name if I recall correctly.

At least with her gender issues having been resolved for the most part, I expect the whole idea of juggling professional and personal personae puts her at risk only in a musical sense, but I also expect that she might actually benefit when she finally comes out to her fans and friends? Great story as always. Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

This has gone too far.

NoraAdrienne's picture

It doesn't matter how the teacher found out who Megan really is. He is threatening her career by literally forcing her into these situations. Is he prepared to pay out the MILLIONS of dollars that she could win in a damage suit if he ruins her career, or gets her hurt because of it?

I DON'T THINK SO... she needs to talk to her father and get out of chorus.

I actually think it's too late.

With that last competition, everyone who voted for her knows how good she is, and what she looks like performing on stage. No matter how good the excuse for Megan and Sarah not being on stage together, half the student population is going to realise they look the same, sound the same, and somehow manage to be very close (they know Megan is one of Sarah's PA's) but never in the same place at the same time. Unless their IQ's are all below Forest Gump, at least twenty of them will figure it out. :-(

The only thing with any chance of mitigation is for her to be pulled from chorus right now. Maybe dad needs to go to the principal and point out the above, and that the teacher outing Megan by setting up this situation is breaking their agreement.

I have come to the conclusion

that Megans' secret will remain just that, at least as far as the general pubic is concerned. She will reveal it at the time and place of her choosing. Her and her family have done everything but put it up on a billboard and nobody has figured it out.

yes danger ahead - I agree

yes danger ahead - I agree that she is being set up for a fall. how many of the class have also figured out who she is by the contest performance? Looks of awe? lots of sub plots to develop - your writing is wonderful!

Dani

Spiraling out of control -- almost "Bail out you fool!" time

If the chorus teacher could figure out who Megan is, other will soon. I think there were hints Sarah MIGHT sing with selected students or record with them but when was it the top 4... in concert? And how the heck can Megan sing with Sarah? unless rapid cloning has just been perfected?

But then NOT choosing the obvious best singer/performer would have caused problems for Megan as well.. as she clearly is the best by far. The teacher may have said he means her no harm and will work to protect the secret but how? And all it takes are a few slip-ups. Megan herself did on in letting her anger at the talented jerk boy cause her to sing all out. Except for the wig and glam she WAS Sarah for those few minutes. Hum, the teacher said Megan and he both had *training*? What is his? And unless he wises up and become nice I agree Sarah MUST say no to singing anything with him. Dad and the school be damned.

Maybe it's time to let the cat out of the bag in a more or less controlled way? The bag is getting very unwieldy now.

I think Jill is a candidate for the inner Megan/Sarah circle. And Ethan's abilities as a singer... hum?

BTW it was her father who *volunteered* her for the school concerts. It was the Principle who added on the joining choir which dad jumped on despite Megan's immediate upset at the thought. Well founded I must add. Though in a way it is good as this has reduced the *girl who is really a boy* thoughts IE Megan the freak, replacing those with thoughts of *what a talent SHE is and such a nice person too * and *it's clear now she was always a girl. I feel so sorry they didn't know until lately. Poor girl. To grow up thinking you were a boy*.

The idiot girl in gym? An *F* and no graduation if she doesn't cut out the cra*? Definite expulsion if there is any assault or other nasty actions taken.

Hum, when was Megan's last period? I suspect it will take THAT to convince any diehard Megan hating girls.

LOVED how Megan is winning over so me of her enemies. Just hope the nasty stuff says low level and she doesn't get physically hurt.

So Utah is next. Will her Number One fan and her parents be able to attend?

Will any of Josh's family come?

Will he ever apologize for what happened after the concert and at his aunt's? I have to believe if his mom hears of what happened she will insist on it. SHE and the daughter are good people. The son, good except when influenced by her less than nice aunt and her family.

Poor Megan, You Can't Hurt Me only 8 weeks on top? Boo Hoo. Hum, why am I suddenly hearing What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger in my head?
Hum, will Ever After be a surprise hit? It is very Disney-ish and younger girl friendly. And mom's remembering their youth friendly too.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Aghhhhhh crap

Renee_Heart2's picture

Mr. Benson knows who she is & I think it was the way she can Controal the croud & memorize the audience I think he sees that & her crasma & that's what gave her away to him & a few may suspect but Ethin knows as he is Megan's friend & she told him about every thing when her dad would let her.

This may be trouble for Megan & Sarha but will see.

As for gym Amanda needs to get over that Megan IS a genetic female & not a male in ANYWAY some people!!!

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Ah, now you're getting me having strange ideas...

Such as a Sarah coming on stage in front of a great huge stadium, looking out on the people there are telling them she's got them all memorised, and then promptly naming them all in one huge song!

Hmm...

I suppose out of all the staff at school, the music teacher would be the most likely to independently twig that Megan and Sarah were one and the same. While it could cause problems, it's less likely than if she'd been elected the star performer whilst Mr. Benson was ignorant of her double identity. For a start, it means he can't do something as stupid as trying to arrange them duets with Sarah. Hopefully he'll also assign Megan songs of a different genre / vocal range to that usually used by Sarah.

As for being pulled from chorus, that's very unlikely. Remember: she didn't want to do chorus in the first place lest her secret come out, but was effectively blackmailed into doing so (and doing the Sarah concert at school) by the Principal when dad was negotiating her time off for concerts.

I've said for a while now that the school concert might be the most prudent time to reveal her secret - especially given how difficult dad seems to be making it for her to effectively lead a double life. By working with Mr. Benson (who's about the only adult aware of her secret who isn't beholden to dad and the record company), she can perhaps work towards how best to do it, and perhaps bring him in on negotiations with dad and the record company as someone who knows her in a professional capacity but is divorced from the music industry so can represent her best interests. In the meantime, being classroom assistant to Chorus and being the lead in performances (which will almost certainly generate local media interest in Megan the singer) will help butter the community up for the secret reveal, so instead of causing a big stir in the community, it'll just generate an "ooh, that figures" and "yes, we know Megan, she's just a typical teenager". That way, by the time the regional / national media get interested, the community themselves can help act as a buffer.

Oddly, the process could result in both identities having a separate music career - Megan the 'local hero' and singing coach, Sarah the multi award winning star who performs on big stages and does the TV chat show circuits. It may even be possible to get Pop Fly in to do the occasional instrumental workshop...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Mr. Benson knowing

Is not a bad thing,maybe he can help her keep her secret and allow her to participate in Class too.