The Other side of the Forest - Chapter 15

Printer-friendly version
The Other Side of the Forest

by:
Elsbeth


Morgan Rynders believed the worlds found in his books were much more interesting than the one he lived in. Unfortunately ancient powers couldn't care less dragging Morgan into a quite a different adventure whether he is interested or not.

illustrating-picture-of-fairies.jpg
Chapter 15
Liz Summers moved around her old two-bedroom house with some difficulty. In the last stages of pregnancy, her constant companions were now heartburn, full bladder and the inability to breathe while lying down. Even with all of that and more, the thought of bringing a life into this world filled her with such joy. What had started out as a nightmare in these past few weeks with Dan's misadventure, she couldn’t think of it as anything else without getting upset was that he had not been able to help her get ready for the baby.

However, she could see that the passion he had thrown himself into lately getting the house ready was a sign of wanting to be useful. She knew that whatever happened to him took a lot of his strength and it was only now that he could work for any length of time without wearing himself out. She knew that his fear of not being able to get back to work was very real.

Her husband felt less of a man because he would be unable to support his wife and child. Liz, of course, didn’t care about that. Beside herself with worry at the thought of losing him, just his presence alone was comforting, but she could see at least for him that was not enough. Thankfully those early dark days passed as he realized that although it might take some time he was recovering a little bit every day. Liz realized that he was a police officer and that she was a police officer’s wife. He needed to go back to work. Although Dan seemed whole, she missed that sparkle in his eyes when he discussed his job.

The sound of a motorcycle startled her. She should have been able to hear the engine long before it approached the driveway. Peering out the window, she was pleased to see the person most responsible for her husband’s recovery. Opening the door, Liz stepped forward and embraced Morgan Rynders in a hug. The young woman squawked, “Hello, Mrs. Summers."

"Please call me Liz, Mrs. Summers sounds so old." She smiled down at Morgan. "I’m happy that you came by." Liz looked up to see a young man in an old WWII bomber jacket standing by the bike. In his hands was a wooden box. How they were able to ride with that box in their possession, she didn’t know. "Is this your boyfriend, Morgan?"

She rolled her eyes. "He wishes, no this is my cousin Alex. He is a sophomore at BU."

"Nice to meet you, Alex, won’t you both come on in?" As the trio entered the kitchen, Liz offered refreshments. "I was sorry to hear about your mother’s accident Morgan. Stephanie told us that she is doing better." If it weren’t for her advanced stage of pregnancy Liz would have gone to the hospital herself. Thank goodness other people came to help or Morgan would have been all alone to face this tragedy.

Taking a long sip of water, Morgan smiled. "She is doing very well. The Doctors are pleased with her recovery."

"Did you get any more information about the accident. I don’t think Dan can help."

The two women spoke for a few more minutes about Morgan's mother then the conversation turned on how Liz was doing. Without thinking about it, she started to go into some detail but backed off a little when she could see Morgan was uncomfortable. Liz realized the source of her discomfort, Morgan's male cousin still stood in the kitchen.

"I’m sorry Alex, I'm sure you’re not interested in hearing all about my pregnancy." The young man smiled saying that he didn’t mind. Feeling the baby moving, Liz reached for Morgan’s hand and placed it on her stomach. "The baby is pretty active today."

“Oh, Morgan, before I forget, Diana is planning on having a baby shower for me after the birth. I would like you to come.”

“Me?”

“Well yes, with all that happened to Dan we decided to move the date. Bring your mother as well I would love to meet with her assuming she is able.”

“I think mom will like that, thank you.” Morgan looked down in wonder. “She’s jumping all around isn’t she." Reluctantly Morgan pulled herself away from the kicking baby. "Is your husband around, Liz?"

Liz realized this was more than a social call. Hesitant at first she smiled; maybe Morgan will be able to bring that sparkle back in her husband eyes after all. Escorting the pair to the backyard, she suddenly wondered how Morgan knew the baby was a girl.

yin_yang_tree_0.png

I was happy that Liz misunderstood my discomfort when we were talking about her pregnancy. Coming to grips with becoming a girl was difficult enough without the reminder that someday I might have to give birth. Women surprise me with how quickly they can talk about their bodies. Even Abigail does it though she knows that I find it uncomfortable. I mean guys don’t do it. Not that I ever had a ton of friends, but we never discussed our bodies; that was way too much information for most of us. It was very cool to feel Liz’s daughter. I didn’t want to mess with anything, but I did strengthen Liz’s body. Hopefully, it will help her with the days ahead.

The damage the Sorcerer inflicted on Deputy Dan Summers would never be healed entirely, but he looked a lot better than when I saw him in the hospital. We found the now white-haired Deputy Sheriff sitting in front of the remains of what appeared to be some sort of grill.

Liz told me that her husband’s latest idea was to thoroughly clean whatever he came across. This meant taking it apart and then putting it back together, unfortunately, it didn’t always work out very well. I am sure that when you take things apart, you’re not supposed to have parts left over. Today Dan was having another go at the grill; hopefully, he will find a place for those missing parts. If nothing else Liz hoped that we could take him away for a little while before he started to take something else apart, like their car.

“Morgan?” The Deputy looked surprised. He gave Alex a once over before crossing the lawn to meet me. At least he didn’t grab me into a hug, not that I would have been too bothered by it. I could see him naturally fall into Deputy Mode as he sensed that I wasn’t just visiting to see how he was doing. Actually, I did feel sorry about that, but I haven’t had a lot of time to visit.

“Deputy Dan Summers, this is my cousin Alex Hastings.”Usually Sidhe do not have surnames, however, try to register for college without one. They shook hands and studied one another for a second then Dan turned his attention back to me.

“I am guessing you’re not here just to check up on me?”

There is that guilt again. I made a face and nodded. “Not totally, I do want to know how you’re doing but I have a favor to ask.”

He laughed. “Don’t worry about it, Morgan, I know you have been busy.” He led us through the house and into his study. Liz didn’t follow but kissed her husband on the cheek and told him to have fun.

“What’s in the box?” Closing the door, he got straight to the point. I could tell that there was something about it that intrigued him. I knew Dan felt a connection, but I didn’t want to say anything just yet.

I nodded to Alex who set the box down in front of the Deputy. Without ceremony, he opened the box and began to examine its contents. He sorted through the letters and few other items placing them on the desk. Dan asked me if I knew what they were and I told him yes. I could see the surprise on his face when he pulled out a United States Army M1916 pistol belt. The holster was not empty.

The Deputy opened the flap and drew forth an Automatic Pistol, Caliber .45, M1911A1. He gave it a professional once-over, and I heard him mumble that at least it wasn’t loaded. I mentioned that there were three clips in the box as well. Those did have bullets. Setting it on the desk the barrel pointing away from all of us he closed his eyes. “It’s a beautifully kept firearm, but I don’t imagine that you have any paperwork for it.”

Alex laughed; apparently, he knew the difficulty in getting a weapon registered in the state of Massachusetts. The Deputy gave him an unfriendly look. “I am going to assume Morgan, that Cindy did not see this weapon?” Dan knew from which house I found this box.

“No, it’s been in my closet for the last week or so.”

He leaned back in his chair and nodded. “Ok, Morgan what exactly is going on?”

I knew I was going to pull him deeper into this mess. Although he came from a family of Unseen, he really wasn’t one of them. He had already paid a terrible price. I argued with myself for a few seconds then nodded. I trusted him, and he had the right to know. I then began to tell him what I knew leaving very little out. I did keep my enchantment problems to myself ... that seemed a bit too personal. Once I finished, the Deputy began to bombard me with questions, and it took a good hour for us to finish.

“You have some dangerous enemies, Morgan,” Dan said.

“I’m sorry for getting you mixed up in this already. It’s my fault you almost died.”

Dan smiled and reached over to take my hand. “No, it’s not, you’re the one that saved me. Morgan. It’s part of the risks I accepted when I took this job.”

“Your job is just as dangerous, your Highness,” Alex said.

I shrugged, but that’s just me. I don’t like seeing people hurt on my account.

“So Morgan, what do you need from me?”

I pointed to the firearm on the desk. “I need you to teach me how to shoot.”

“That shouldn’t be an issue, Morgan...” Alex began, but I waved away his objections.

“That might be true, Alex, but I like to know why I do things. Plus the Deputy Sheriff has years of practical knowledge that I do not possess.”

“From what you’re telling me, you need the lessons now.” The deputy frowned. I could tell that legally this was all putting him in a bind.

“I might have other questions for you as well.” I didn’t want to cause him any more trouble, but I needed his knowledge.

Whatever he was thinking of Dan came to a quick decision. The transformation was surprising. “OK, your Highness, I’m your man. It sure beats sitting around here.”

Alex stood up smiling. “Welcome to our little troupe.”

“What...wait...I just need you to teach me the proper way to shoot.”

Leaping out of his chair Dan reached into his pocket for a set of keys. Unlocking one of the drawers in his desk, he retrieved his own holster and firearm. Covering up his shoulder holster with a light jacket, he gave me a grin ... there was now a gleam in his eyes.

++++++

Saturday nights have always been the busiest time for the ‘Norse.’ Out of towners are usually surprised that the wait for a table on an especially busy night could be almost two hours. The Huldra known as Gerdy should be in her element welcoming guests, but the thought of the horrors of another Hunt continued to be on her mind. She was afraid that the Princess asked for her help personally. Most of the Sidhe Lords and Ladies wouldn’t bother to acknowledge her presence, but Princess Morgan loved her Pyttipanna.

“Gerdy” A friendly voice brought the Fae out of her brooding. She looked up to find Abigail waiting with her Aunt. That child always had a warm smile. The Huldra hesitated before going over to greet her. She never trusted the Witches that came to the 'Norse.' They always made her uncomfortable as if they expected her to do something. She just wanted to cook and make her family and others happy.

Greeting the pair, she personally brought them to their table. The group talked for a few minutes. Gerdy made sure to ask about Morgan; she knew that Abigail had a special relationship with the Princess. It was the right thing to ask. Finally, when they ordered their food, Gerdy headed back to the kitchen feeling better. It was not to last. Dropping off an order to a table on the patio, she felt something wrong. Looking about she thought for a moment she spied a group of Haugtrold.

Impossible she thought and ran back into the 'Norse' then stopped in her tracks. An immaculately dressed Fae walked passed her licking his lips. Gerdy began to tremble.

Looking about the room she could still find nothing wrong, but that Fae was part of the Unseelie Court she was sure of it. Then it came to her, and she ran towards the table where Abigail sat. She was missing.

“Mrs. Teague, where is your niece?” Gerdy asked nervously.

Eshne looked up from her dinner. “She went to the restroom dear. I’m sure she will be right back.”

Gerdy shook her head and darted into the back. She tried not to scream when she entered the women’s bathroom. No one noticed the broken bodies. Confirming her worst fears, Gerdy found the dead bodies of the Fae who the Princess had sent to watch over Abigail.

up
288 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cliffhanger

Enemyoffun's picture

I'm glad someone else isn't afraid to throw out those nasty cliffhangers. :)

dream on eof

she's got nothing on you

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Ouch!

So the Unseelie Court has kidnapped Abigail (note the bodies were those of her bodyguards, not Abigail herself), presumably with the intention of blackmailing Morgan.

Well, as they say, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" - that will no doubt apply to a certain newly-minted woman; who I imagine will be needing her alliance of local Unseen PDQ.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Excellent chapter

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

First her mother and now her girlfriend... being close to Morgan clearly has a high price although perhaps it is telling of the simple brute force approach of the Unseelie at the moment.

Thank you for another enjoyable chapter. :-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

The fight

it looks like is about to be on doesn't it!?