The Girl Most Likely To ... - Part 29

Printer-friendly version

The Girl Most Likely To ... - Part 29
by Barbara Lynn Terry

Chapter 1 - Naomi visits Janice' mother.

Naomi had called in and said she would take the second shift, because she had to go to Belaire to see someone for one of the girls at the home. The supervising sergeant that took her call said that would be all right, and to drive safely. Naomi drove most of the night to get to Belaire. She drove up to a side by side duplex, and parked in front of Mrs. Peyton's residence. Naomi got out of her SUV and rang the doorbell.

"Yes, may I help you?" Asked a young looking woman in her early thirties.

"Yes, I'm deputy sheriff sergeant, Naomi Petersen, from Pine Meadows county. I came to ask you if you would accompany me back to Pine Meadows because your daughter Janice is in a coma. She was remembering how much fun she used to have when she was younger, while we were singing Christmas carols. She started crying and then just blacked out. It would mean so much to her if you could be there for her."

"I really...it isn't that I don't...see, deputy it is like..." Shaiya Peyton started crying, and Naomi moved to hug her. (Pronounced Shy-ya).

"It will be all right, Mrs. Peyton. I think what you both need right now, is each other. I know you still love her, and I am betting you gave up your parental rights, because you don't have the money to keep her there. Am I right?"

"Yes," Shaiya Peyton said through her tears. "You may call me Shaiya."

"And I am Naomi."

"Listen, why don't we get in my SUV and go to Pine Meadows, so that you can both be together?"

"All right."

Shaiya Peyton got her coat and boots on, grabbed her purse and left with Naomi. They both buckled their seat belts, and Naomi started for Pine Meadows.

"Why is a deputy sheriff concerned about my daughter?"

"Well, I had taken a girl to the home, and told her on the way that if she took part in all her therapy programs I would come up and help her. We were from Alameda county. But, after I thought about it for a bit, I decided to sell my house in Forest City and move to Pine Meadows county. I live one half mile from the home and the town. I transferred departments, and was supposed to start this morning, but then this came up. I have to do the second shift training sessions today. Anyway, the girls at the home voted to make me an honorary sister, and I vowed to be there for each and every one of them. Now that I live in Pine Meadows county, I can be."

"I have lived in Belaire all my life, and I swear, Naomi, I have never heard of a deputy sheriff going out his or her way to help someone in an institution,"

"Yes, Shaiya, the Pine Meadows Home For Adolescent Girls may be officially and institution, but the girls consider it their home. The staff there treats it just as if they were in their birth homes, and the girls can come and go as they please. Everybody in town looks out for the girls when they are there. I think when we get there, I will show you the home, after we see Janice."

"Is she just sleeping, or is there something else wrong?"

"That, Shaiya Peyton, is the sixty four thousand dollar question."

"Who is the doctor that is taking care of her?"

"Dr. Juanita "Nita" Garcia, MD PhD. She is the home's new doctor."

"Will I be able to talk to her?"

"Yes, Shaiya and I think she will want to talk to you, too."

Naomi thought that it didn't take much to get this woman to come with her to see Janice, and the questions she has been asking were that of a very concerned mother. There is more here than just lack of finances.

What made Naomi very good at her job was the fact that she had the ability to see things beyond what was in front of her or what was being talked about. This ability has helped her immensely, in the years of her law enforcement career. Even arresting a suspect, she would talk to them to find out why they did the crime she was arresting them for. Most did not talk back, but they didn't rebuke what she was asking either.

She couldn't help but feel that a grave mistake has been made, placing Janice in the home and then disowning her. If Naomi had anything to do with this, it was to get Janice and her mother back together, come hell or high water, but preferably because they wanted to be together.

"I see a sign that says 'food'. Would you like to stop and get something to eat?"

"Oh Naomi, thank you, but I don't think I could keep anything down right now; not with my baby in the hospital."

Now Naomi knew she was right. Shaiya still loved Janice, and it wouldn't take much to get these two back together.

"Shaiya, just between us and nobody else; did someone tell you to sign away your parental rights?"

"Yes. The social worker assigned by the court thought it would be best, because she told me it would cost me thousands to keep her there, and there was no way to tell how long she would be there."

"She didn't tell you that she could be there for six months and then return home, if she completed her therapy?"

"No. No, she didn't. Is...is that...possi...ble?"

"Yes, Shaiya, it is."

"Then she lied to me."

"Most social workers I know, Shaiya, are very devious in their attitudes, especially where minors are concerned. There are even some social workers who don't like children and will do whatever they can to separate them from their homes. When you talked to this worker, did she seem friendly, or had an attitude."

"She had a very bad attitude. She was very adamant about me signing away my parental rights."

"Would you like to have those rights back?"

"Yes, by any means possible."

"Then, Shaiya Peyton, you shall have your wish. Mention that to Janice when we get to the hospital. The doctor seems to think it is a good idea that we talk to her, because she can still hear us, but may not remember what we said."

"I will be very soothing when I talk to my baby. She is an only child, and I shouldn't have listened to that worker."

"Well, what is done, is done, but we can make it better. A lot better. Are you sure you don't want a salad or something?"

"Naomi, I think I would like that."

Naomi pulled off of the highway, and headed towards an all night truck stop called The Stretch located just of highway 75,north. They went inside the restaurant, and sat down in a booth. A waitress came over and asked if she could take their orders.

"We would just like to look at the menus for a bit. I have never been in here before, so I want to see what kind of gourmet food you have here." The waitress giggled.

"Honey, if you find any gourmet food on that menu, please tell us so we can tell the cook." Naomi and Shaiya giggled.

"Actually I will have a cheeseburger deluxe, a small side salad, and..." Naomi looked over at the counter to see what kind of soda pop they had. "And a Sprite."

"For you, Miss?"

"I will have what she is having."

"Thank you, your orders will be up shortly and your drinks are on the way."

The waitress who looked as though she may have worked there a number of years, was pretty, even if she was aging a bit. Her dull blonde hair was coiffed without a hair out of place. Naomi pondered that all the walking she does, must be good exercise. Her name was Candace, or Candi for short.

"Here are your drinks, your orders should be right up."

They waited a few minutes, and Candi brought their orders.

"Here is your gourmet dinner. Enjoy and leave your tip under your plate." All three women giggled.

Naomi and Shaiya talked as they ate."

"Shaiya, when we get to the hospital, I will make sure they know you are Janice' mother. This way you can come visit her any time, day or night. She is in AICU and there is a nurse in the room with her. Last night she was sleepwalking, and left the hospital and came back to my new house. Nobody noticed her until the girls were taken back to the home for bed. That was when I got a phone call telling me Janice was at the home. I knew she was still sleeping, so the house mother and two girls helped me get her in my SUV, and I took her back to the hospital. That was when the nursing supervisor said that a nurse will have to be with her in her room 24/7 until she leaves the hospital, even in AICU. The nurse in the room is a floater, so that the regular RN can look after the other patients. I think she was sleepwalking and automatically came to my house because she subconsciously knew she was safe there.

"I am hoping that you will be able to bring her out of her coma. I think if she knows she is going to be safe with you, and you are never going to abandon her again, she will wake up. The doctor said it is really up to her when she wakes up. Right now she may not want to, because there is safety, security and peace in the sleep."

"I hope she can wake up. I want to tell her so much."

Naomi smiled. She was quite often never wrong when it came to her judging another's character. Naomi looked at Shaiya and knew she had judged this woman correctly. After they finished their food, they sat there taking their time with their drinks, when the restaurant started filling up with the breakfast crowd.

"I think we better go."

The two women got up, and Naomi paid the bill, and they left the restaurant.

"Thank you, Naomi."

"For what?"

"For being their for my baby and for me."

"Oh pfft, think nothing of it. I am just happy I can help."

"In all my born day, I have never seen anybody who arrests people be so kind and generous."

"It's a flaw in my character." Shaiya giggled. "Cliff Robertson said that to Robert Culp when he Played Lieutenant jg, John Fitzgerald Kennedy in the movie PT-109."

"How old are you, Naomi?"

"Thirty-two."

"What do you know about John Fitzgerald Kennedy?"

"Well, let me see. Thirty-fifth President of the United States, a bona fide war hero, had his PT boat cut in half by a Japanese destroyer, lived off of raw coconuts and strained salt water. Kept his men in line and showed strength while waiting until they were rescued by natives of the area and taken to an Australian island watcher name Rich Evans, who when John Fitzgerald Kennedy became President, called Rich Evans to the White House and gave Rich Evans the coconut John F. Kennedy wrote his please rescue us message on. He was assassinated in Dallas, Texas on Novermber 22, 1963. Outside of that, I don't know anything about him, except he was born in Brookline, Massachusets in 1917 and his brother Joe, junior died in WWII when he was flying missions over Germany. No, Shaiya, I don't know anything about the thirty-fifth President of the United States." Both women laughed.

In just a few short hours, Naomi had succeeded in getting this woman to loosen up and to actually laugh. With her concern over her ill daughter, Naomi knew that Shaiya Peyton would be the best mother any mother could ever be, because she was going to make sure she listened to her daughter. No ma'am, nobody could ever accuse Naomi Petersen of being a hard nose.

Chapter 2 - At the hospital.

About an hour later, Naomi turned off of the highway and on to the two lane county road that led to the town of Pine Meadows. As they rode along this road, Naomi saw the same girl riding her horse that she had seen when she took Rachel to the home. Naomi knew she didn't have much longer before she saw the truck stop.

As the truck stop came in to view, Naomi said she needed to use the restroom. Shaiya thought that was a good idea. Naomi pulled in to the truck stop, and was welcomed by everybody there.

"I will have a coffee to go. I will be right back."

Shaiya and Naomi went in the restroom, and came out a few minutes later. They went in the restaurant, and sat down. "I will have that coffee here, please."

"Me too," Shaiya added.

They sat and drank their coffees and just took their time. Fifteen minutes later, they were back in the SUV and on the way to the hospital. Naomi pulled in to the parking space, and both women went in the main doors. They went up to the second floor and right in to AICU.

"Delores, this is Janice Peyton's mother, Shaiya. She is going to be here for a while, so make sure she sees the doctor when she comes in. I have to get home and in to my uniform and get my ... self to work. Shaiya, I will be back shortly, but just remember, the nurses have my number in case they have to get a hold of me."

Shaiya and Naomi hugged, and then Delores Atkinson took Shaiya to see Janice. Naomi then left, using her siren to get home quickly. Then she hopped in the shower, got cleaned up, got in her uniform, and raced to worked and made it with two minutes to spare. ***Phew*** that was a very close call. Naomi went in the undersheriff's office after signing in.

"Naomi, come in, have a seat. I am assigning you to a trooper today. You will be driving a state trooper car, and the trooper will make the arrests and give out the tickets. Your job besides driving the car, will be to to back up the trooper. Think you can handle that little detail?"

"Oh yes." Naomi was smiling.

"Yes, I bet you can at that. Alright then, I am assigning you to State Trooper James O'Donnell for the next eight hours. I will see you bright and early tomorrow morning at seven."

"Yes, sir."

Naomi left the undersheriff's office, and headed for the parking lot where Trooper O'Donnell was waiting patiently.

"I thought you would never get here. What took you so long?"

"I found Janice' mother, and brought her up here to see Janice. She is at the hospital right now."

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go and see Janice."

Naomi was going to enjoy this detail today, because not only was she successful in putting mother and daughter back together, but she was on patrol with the man who she wanted to be with for the rest of her life. Except, he hasn't said anything, yet. Naomi was old fashioned that way. The man had to "pop" the question.

Naomi pulled in to the Emergency Room parking lot and parked in a space reserved for police vehicles. They went in the side door, and up to the second floor. When they walked in the room, they heard Shaiya talking to Janice.

"Baby, I'm sorry. I want you to come home. I want us to be a family again, like we were when you were younger." Shaiya was holding Janice left hand. "Baby, please wake up. Naomi says I can get my parental rights back. I want you to know that I love you very much. Please baby girl, please wake up. Please wake up...I want you to come home for good. No more adolescent home, no more yelling, no more social workers, no more doctors except for medical reasons. Please Janice, I will listen to what you have to say, I will answer your questions, I will actually give you teenage birthday parties. Janice, do you know that Naomi drove most of last night to come and get me. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have known what to do.

Shaiya looked up and saw Naomi and a state trooper she didn't know.

"Shaiya," Naomi said in a whisper. "This is State Trooper Jim O'Donnell. He is also concerned about Janice."

"Why is the police so concerned about my daughter.

"Because, ma'am, it takes a village, and we believe in that very strongly here."

"My name is Shaiya, sir."

"My name is Jim. It is nice to meet you."

"It is nice to meet you, too, Jim."

"Janice, sweetie, Naomi and Jim O'Donnell are here. They want to give you hugs."

Naomi gave Janice a hug and so did Jim.

"Janice, what your mother said is all true. She wants you to come home, and if Jim and I have anything to say about it, that is exactly what will happen. Your mother wants you home, you want to be home, and we can make that happen together. Janice, Jim and I have to go and catch bad guys now, but we will be back."

Naomi gave Shaiya a hug and told her to keep talking to Janice. She said she would take her out for dinner at the town diner, and bring her back to the hospital.

Naomi and Jim O'Donnell left the AICU and went back to the squad.

"Squad 356."

"356 Go."

"Squad 356, a family disturbance at route one, box 732, the Hilts family."

"Squad 356, ten-four."

"Naomi you go south out of town about two miles, then turn left and go for another three miles. The house is on your side but the mailbox is on my side. I will let you know when you have to pull in to the driveway. As they neared the house, Naomi rolled down her window and listened. She heard yelling and things breaking like they were being thrown. She pull in to the drive and turned off the engine.

The noise was so loud inside they didn't even hear Naomi and Jim coming. Jim O'Donnell pounded on the door, and a man answered.

"Yeah, what the hell do you want. Nobody called the cops here."

"May we talk to you outside, sir?" Jim O'Donnell had asked the man. The man stepped outside, and Jim O'Donnell handcuffed him behind his back. "Now, sir, will you please tell us what it going on here."

"The damn bitch doesn't know how to cook, she puts all those damn spices in the food and that is all you can taste." Just then a woman came out.

"Excuse me officer, but may I speak with one of you?"

"Naomi, please talk to her while I find out what this guy's problem really is." Naomi went inside with the woman.

"Ma'am I am deputy sergeant Naomi Petersen, Pine Meadows County Sheriff's office."

"Oh! I am so happy to meet you. I have heard so many rumors, it is nice to put a face to the name. Anyway, I made Italian spaghetti tonight, and it is my husband's favorite. But tonight he has been drinking, and when he is drunk, he doesn't like anything. So he started yelling at me and throwing our vases against the wall, telling me he should be throwing them at me. He did throw one, and before he did he said he was going to kill me. I can't live like this any more."

"Is your husband the sole support for the house?"

"No, he doesn't have a job. I work taking care of elderly people, and I pay the mortgage and bills on the house and buy the food."

"Would you like to press charges against him?"

"For what, exactly?"

"Attempted murder."

"Why?"

"Because him saying he was going to kill you, and then throwing a glass vase at you, is attempted murder under the language of the statute. It was a glass vase, right?"

"Yes, and yes I would like to press charges."

"Thank you. Do You have a car?"

"Yes."

"Meet us at the courthouse. We are going to take him in and book him." Naomi walked outside. "Jim, what is his name."

"William Hilts."

"William Hilts, you are under arrest for attempted murder. You have the right to remain silent, if you choose to give up that right, anything you say now will be held against you in a court of law. You may have an attorney present during questioning and if you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed by the judge before any questioning is done. Do you understand these rights, I have just read to you?"

"You lousy bitch. You better pay my bail or I swear when I get out..."

"Sir, if you continue to speak after your rights have been read to you, we can hold whatever you say against you. If I were you, I wouldn't say anything else."

Naomi was cautioning the man to remain silent, and Jim just stood there, smiling because his soon to be fiancée was in full control.

up
123 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Girl Most Likely To ... - Part 29

Now, we have TWO events to keep us wanting more! :)

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Social workers & attitudes

Renee_Heart2's picture

Seam to go hand in hand not all have it but quite a few do unforchantly & some are MAJOR b***hs too. One FORCED Jancie's mother to sign away her parental rights away, to me it should be unlawful to lie to a parent & dilriblitly misinform them just so a child will suffer & be sent to an institution that is very sad.

I'm glad Naomi found Janice's mother & her mom still loves Janice & wants her home & wants her parental rights back which is GREAT!

If ONLY the under sherif knew what was between Namoi & Tpr Jim lol he wouldn't have put her with him but as it is he didn't know no harm no fowl lol :).

As for the attempted murder charge technaly Namoi made the arrest not Jim but the under sherif specify told Naomi Jim makes ALL the arresters & she gets all the tickets dosen't seam right if only he knew what she was capable of lol :).

I think he will find out VERY soon :) I then the Sherif & under sherif need to attend one of her trainings & I bet the will be VERY SORE latter that day &in the morning :) NO ONE messes with Deputy Sgt Naomi Pirce of the Pine counts sheriff's office not even the higher up lol.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

That Naomi is some Gal Barbara!

More like Wonder Woman!!

I believe you said it was a 5hr drive, so she's been on the road for 10+ hrs, plus stops, goes home and changes and is back on the job for another shift.

Dedication above and beyond, Wow!

Good story, thank you.

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Rock and hard place

Jamie Lee's picture

The more Naomi gets involved with the girls, the more she learns why they are at the home.

Janice is at the home because her mom was between a rock and a hard place. Shaiya didn't have sufficient income for two and it caused her to become frustrated. As a result, she took these frustrations out on Janice. And by taking her frustrations out on Janice, Janice acted out, venting her anger for what she was experiencing.

The social worker who had their case failed both mother and daughter. That person took the lazy way out by simply throwing Janice into the home. That person actually failed the State by putting Janice into the home before finding out if that's what was needed. By simply in putting Janice into the home, that person cost the state additional monies. It increased the States spending. For that alone that person should be called on the carpet. And should it be revealed by Dragonlady the harm that person caused, that person should be canned. Period.

Others have feelings too.

Joe Kennedy

Joe Kennedy's plane blew up over southern England while testing a remote plane before he could jump to safety, his story featured on a tv programme over here in England called Wartime Secrets with Harry Harris