The Ram 40.

Printer-friendly version

Coming close to the end of this story now, this might be the penultimate or 2nd penultimate chapter.


The Ram 40.

Briony Davies Nee Lewis ... Betrayed wife and mother.
Sion Her eight-year-old son.
Ellairy... Her nine-month--old daughter.
Arfon Davies... Brionys’ abusive and unfaithful husband.
Dave Cadwalloder... Welsh bachelor hill-farmer.
Jenny and Lassie... Daves’ sheepdog bitches.
Laddie... Daves’ sheepdog.
Jessica and Pansy... Daves’ sows.
Angel... Daves’ mare.
Gabriella (Gabby)... Angels’ foal (Gift to Sion.)
Elsbeth... Briony’s sister.
Daphne... Daves’ ‘girlfriend’
Cledwyn... Farmer further down the valley (Neighbour.)
Blodwen... Cledwyn’s daughter.
Rachel... Daphne’s TV friend.
Shirley... Rachels’ GG wife.
Fajita... The maid.
James & Tara... Rachel’s teenaged children (16 & 15)
Billy and Janet... Manager and accountant at Daphne’s club.
Terry... New Zealand Shepherd.
Wendy... Blodwens best friend at school. Also Dave’s friend.
Jane... Policewoman at Machynlleth.
Jack Davies... Sergeant North Wales Police.
Joyce... Blodwen’s Partner.
Moira... Bridal boutique owner Newtown
Edward Lewis... Briony’s father.
Jean Lewis... Briony’s mother.
Colin... Llanidloes police officer.
Sarah... Llanidloes Police woman.
Brian Lewis... Briony’s oldest brother
Rachel ... Briony’s oldest sister
Charlotte & Samantha... Brian’s daughters (14 & 16)
Edward Lewis Jr... Briony’s middle brother.
Abigail... Edward’s daughter (7 yrs old). Briony’s niece
Fredric Lewis... Briony’s younger brother. Brothers older than the three sisters.
Stephanie and Samantha... Fred’s 10-yr-old twin daughters
Kaya... Elspeth’s only daughter (12 yrs-old)

The Ram 40.

The remaining days before the wedding were naturally spent in whirls of excited tension and nervousness. Unexpected problems would pop up and be frantically addressed by whosoever was able to deal with them. In this respect, Jean, Briony’s mother turned up trumps. She had been ‘mother of the bride’ on three different occasions and she proved to be an expert at circumventing or solving or just plain beating down any problems that came their way. It helped her enormously that Daphne was able to fund the whole event. For once Jean was able to truly savour her special role as ‘mother-of-the-bride’ without always looking to the cost. For this luxury, Jean was truly thankful and desperately fond of her new daughter/son-in-law.

Naturally, since having their babies David and Victoria; Daphne and Briony had abstained from conjugal relations. Firstly to give Briony a chance to recover from the births and secondly because both of them felt it would be nice to re-consummate their relationship like two virgins. Indeed, Briony even felt herself becoming a little coy on the eve of the big day. They had already been sleeping in different bedrooms since the arrival of the twins but that night as Daphne slipped beside her on the settee in the drawing room she giggled coquettishly.

“You can’t cuddle me. I want to feel like a virgin bride tomorrow tonight.”

Daphne gaped at her and protested mildly.

“But we’re already sleeping apart! Surely a little cuddle. You’ve got enough chaperones. I’m hardly likely to ravish you here on the settee, much though I’d love to.”

Briony pushed Daphne away, albeit half-heartedly and playfully but Daphne accepted the hint. Every girl liked to fantasize about their wedding night so the abstinence was a happy circumstance. Jean watched the cameo and felt an inner warmth towards the man/woman who had stolen her youngest daughter’s heart.

“Come and sit by me Daph. We’ve got lots to talk about.”

“If Daphne had been one hundred percent male he might have suggested that they were all ‘talked out’ but the larger, female part of her brain relished the opportunity for one more chat. And chat they did until Daphne and Briony had to share the evening feeding of David and Victoria. Finally, with their four breasts successfully emptied, they went to their separate beds.

At the crack of the summer dawn, just as the sun was peeping over the hills to the north east of Plas Graig Las, Blodwen and Joyce were banging on Daphne’s bedroom door while Jean and Shirley were rousing Briony.

"Come on you two, we’ve got to be in Birmingham at eight to get you prepared. Come on!"

Both bride and groom rose sleepily and showered before clambering into the cars and setting off. Terry and John bid them farewell and promised to attend the reception after they had tended the livestock.

As the sun rose, the excitement mounted and they met the rest of the family at 0745 outside the hotel where Briony and Daphne were to prepare and dress. Jean immediately took charge of proceedings and ordered both girls down to the salon.

“It’s first thing first ... hair and a make-over.” While Daphne and Briony savoured the luxury and pampering at the salon the bides-maids were taken off by Shirley and Briony’s older sister Rhiannon to another Salon and also had their hair done.

By ten o’clock Tara, Charlotte, Samantha, Stephanie, Samantha, Kaya (Elspeth’s daughter) Abigail and little Ellairy were dressed and ready and gathered in the hotel lounge were they received smiles of admiration from just about every woman resident passing through. Needless to say the girls were almost wetting themselves with excitement. Naturally, Briony’s older sisters Rhiannon and Elspeth were matrons of honour and tried to keep the excited bride’s maids in order. It proved to be an almost impossible task until Edward Jr and Fred took a hand and scolded the girls for misbehaving.

“This is not a circus!” Edward warned them. “It’s a very solemn occasion. How would you like your weddings to be ruined by honoured guests misbehaving?”

Finally the girls got the message. It was NOT some sort of gay freak show. It was a serious occasion. Finally Edward was a bit gentler with the girls.

“You can have your fun after the wedding, at the club when it’s open house to all Daphne’s friends. I’m sure you’ll meet some boys there if you want to dance and flirt and I know you older girls will!” He smiled particularly at Tara, Samantha and Charlotte.

Eventually Daphne and Briony appeared on the stairs in their wedding gowns Briony was on her brother, Brian’s arm while Daphne had her friend Rachel as a supporter. Rachel had chosen a beautiful, cream, silk, close-fitting cocktail dress with matching frilled bolero jacket. They descended the stairs and met everybody in the lounge until the cars arrived. Jean was relieved that everything went smoothly and most importantly, the day turned out bright, sunny and warm.

To Daphne’s mild surprise the church was full until the lady vicar explained.

“When it’s held in an Anglican church in England, the actual wedding is a public event Daphne, anybody can witness it. It’s public declaration of your vows. Daphne turned nervously to look at the gathering and she was relieved to see a sea of familiar faces. Nearly all of them regular patrons of The Melancholy Pussy club, but here and there a sprinkling of familiar faces from Wales in addition to invited guests.

Briony, Daphne and the lady Vicar had compiled a wedding service and run it by the bishop to confirm its validity. When the congregation heard the nature of the vows, there was a soft muttering of approval and for a brief moment, the vicar paused while people digested the contents. She then raised her hand for silence and resumed the service.

There was naturally a tense moment when the vicar required any person to declare any objections but none were forthcoming and the couple breathed a sigh of relief. To add further tension there was a brief noise at the back of the church but nothing came of it. Briony and Daphne did not even notice the disturbance or the cause of it until they were proceeding out of the church to the sound of the organ thundering out the wedding march. In their choices of music both girls had chosen to be traditional to avoid any further contention. This was now the occasion for the bride’s-maids to shine and they thoroughly indulged themselves as Daphne and Briony walked slowly down the aisle to stop and chat with friends and relations as they received congratulations.

It was not until they arrived at the end of the aisle that Daphne noticed the wary expressions on Fred and Edward Jr’s faces. Then a cold arrow lanced through Daphne’s heart as she recognised Edward Lewis Senior standing between them though strangely, he was not restrained. Daphne’s tension immediately translated itself to Briony who turned from chatting to her friends to discover the cause. As she recognised her father she also tensed nervously and turned around to catch her older brother’s attention. Brian had already noticed the impasse and quickly moved to confront his father.

The three brothers now had their father surrounded and the aisle was blocked. Daphne and Briony waited tensely as Brian demanded to know why their father was there.

“You’re not welcome here dad! You’ve made your feelings abundantly clear, what d’you want?”

“I wish to speak to my daughter ... and my daughter-in-law.”

The soft tone of his voice alerted Brian to his father’s mood; gone was the usual overbearing threatening manner. His reference to Daphne as his daughter-in-law also conveyed something different in his manner. Brian relaxed and glanced at his brothers.

“Has he caused you any trouble?”

Fred replied, “No bro. He’s stood here meek as a lamb. Anyway, he wouldn’t dare, we’d kill him.”

Edward nodded confirmation so Brian turned to the newly-weds.

“D’you want to talk to him? We three will watch him.”

Daphne looked at Briony who nodded cautious assent. She asked him.

“What d’you want Dad? You better hadn’t try to spoil our day. There are several police in the congregation who are my and Daphne’s friends.”

Edward Lewis senior hesitated then spoke slowly but clearly.

“I want to apologise.”

The tension changed to a stunned silence from all the Lewis brothers and sisters. Briony looked up into Daphne’s eyes with the unspoken question writ large. It was clear she was looking for Daphne’s lead. After recovering her composure (for she had been frightened,) Daphne asked the Lewis family’s father.

“To whom are you apologising and for what?”

Edward Lewis hesitated. He had been half expecting outright rejection. As he re-composed his answer in his head he stuttered.

“I ... well I want to ... to ... well for everything really to you and to Bri, and to Jean. And to the rest; I’ve been a twa-; I’ve been a fool ... and a bully. I’m sorry.”

Daphne tried to read the man’s eyes and noticed the slightest whisper of a tear.

‘Had anybody else noticed it?’ She wondered.

She turned behind her and asked softly.

“Does anybody have a tissue?”

About four hands flashed out with tissues and Daphne had to smile. The smile became infectious as the people around her thought Daphne wanted the tissue for herself. Then Briony realised what was afoot, her father needed the tissues but he was too proud and stubborn to realise it as he struggled to keep his composure. Briony took the proffered tissues from Daphne’s hand and reached behind her brother Brian to touch her father’s cheek. Brian turned in alarm at first until he realised what was happening.

Firstly, he relaxed but his manner immediately turned to fear as he saw his father almost crumple to the floor before Fred and Edward grabbed him to support him.

“Dad! Dad! Are you okay!?”

Edward Lewis Senior recovered his composure and the tension evaporated like escaping steam as Jean stumbled forward. Brian and his brothers helped their father to sit down in a pew and waited for him to recover as his wife and daughters fussed around him. Both bride and ‘groom’ bent down to offer their acceptance of his apology and the whole occasion resumed its joyous festive air. Eventually their father recovered and the organist pitched into the triumphant wedding march again with renewed gusto as the procession gained a doubly festive air.

They emerged into the sunshine to savour the delight of the day and the family quickly gathered around them. Lastly the two younger Lewis brothers assisted their father to join the photography session outside the church. He wasn’t in Morning dress as his sons were but Jean was more than happy to receive him on her arm and pose centre-stage with their daughter and daughter-in-law. He was stood unusually next to Daphne for the photographer was a bit confused about conventions in this new and to him, strange arrangement. Finally the main family shots were taken and the rest of the session was spent on assorted cameos of small groups and different functionaries. Daphne had not stinted on any item and for that Briony was forever grateful.

Finally they dispersed to The Melancholy Pussy where Billy and Janet had excelled themselves preparing the food and festivities.
When they sat down to the wedding feast Brian approached Briony and Daphne.

“Dad has asked to say a few words. How do you feel about it?”

“Will they be kind words?” Daphne asked.

“And not too long. Remember his monologues in Chapel.” Briony added.

Brian grinned and disappeared to speak to their father. He returned with a grin.

“He’s written down what he intends to say. I’ve read it and it seems okay ... very okay!”

Briony and Daphne gave each other a squeeze and agreed as Daphne spoke to Briony about her older brother.

“Brian’s still a bit cautious about your dad.”

“So am I darling.” Briony confirmed. “He’d better stick to the script.”

She glanced expectantly to her brother who nodded.

“He will,” Brian replied with a hard caution betraying his distrust of his father.

After the meal the speeches were made and Edward Lewis made his the last speech. It dwelt upon his remorse and his relearning and changing and all those qualities so essential to reconciliation, and it brought many tears of happiness and relief to the Lewis family. At the end of his speech his wife reached out to demonstrate the final filling of that desperate unfulfilled need that had lain within the bosom of the family for so many years.

Edward Lewis senior was true to his word, he had kept to the script; a script that presaged peace amongst the family and gave Daphne considerable peace of mind, a peace that also brought a lump to her throat for there was nobody from her family that could respond in like manner. Edward lewis sensed this and after finishing his speech, he stepped to his side and gave Daphne an especially poignant hug. Then, when they stood up from the table, Daphne only had a brief dance with Briony when she found Edward Lewis tapping her on the shoulder and apologising to Briony as he asked.

“Can I have a quiet word please?”

Daphne turned inquisitively to Briony who nodded consent. Then Daphne replied to Edward Lewis.

“How quiet and how private?” (She still felt a bit nervous around him.)

“Well, perhaps outside on the patio, I promise you no harm, people can see us but the conversation has to be private.”

Daphne nodded agreement then spoke to Briony.

“Tell Brian where I am and to watch us through the patio glass doors.”

With this arrangement set in place, Daphne followed the older man onto the patio. There she stood with her back close to the patio doors to facilitate a quick return to the party if there was any possible threat. As she closed the doors behind her, Edward Lewis stood by the stone balustrade and turned. He spoke softly.

“Firstly I want to re-emphasise that my apology is sincere. I’ve learned a lot about you and your kind of people since those first misunderstandings. I always thought it was a choice thing, it’s not is it?”

Daphne heaved a silent sigh of relief before answering.

“No, it’s not Mr Lewis, and thank you for conceding that; but that’s not what you wanted to talk about is it?”

“No, I just wanted to set the record straight and tell you again that I’ve realised I was mistaken.”

Daphne was slightly perplexed for she could not see where Mr Lewis was going with this conversation.

“So who helped you see the light? Who managed to get through to you?”

Edward Lewis stared thoughtfully at Daphne and wagged his head.

“You don’t get it do you?”

Daphne frowned partly from confusion and partly from uncertainty.

“Well ... no I don’t. What are you driving at?”

“What?" Gasped Edward Lewis. "Are you trying to tell me you’ve no idea; you’ve no idea who helped me see my way?”

Daphne was still puzzled.

“No. Honestly; no I don’t.”

“It’s you, you silly girl! You’ve done it. I realised you are just the person for my dear daughter. She always was the kindest, the most gentle, the most caring one. She needs a kindly caring husband ... no, that’s not right, a kindly caring partner; that’s it a partner, a partner she can trust, a partner not out to screw her out of her inheritance.”

Daphne was even more confused.

“Inheritance! What inheritance? I can assure you, if you think ...”

“No Daphne, I can assure you! I don’t think that your trying to screw anybody out of anything, I don’t think you’re trying to cheat her of her inheritance.”

“Inheritance. I didn’t know anything about an inheritance. Now listen Mr Lewis, I met Briony completely by accident ... I don’t know where this is going but I don’t know anything about any inheritance!”

“There’s no need to get upset Daphne. I know you’re not after anybody’s money. I know now, you’re wealthy in your own right, what’s more, a lot of it has been by dint of sheer hard work. I work for the bank in Newtown and I found out all about your account. I know how parlous the state of the farm was when your dad died. You performed a remarkable feat turning the enterprise around, especially for one so young. And then there’s this place, the club, The Melancholy Pussy ... Nice name by the way, nice business as well. Well done! I know now that you are a genuinely hard working individual. You’re not some sort of hysterical, mincing, effete parasite. For that I salute you and respect you. Briony’s been really lucky meeting you and I’m glad for her.

The thing is; this inheritance is only due to Briony, the other children don’t get anything, my mother left it to her in her will because she was her favourite. Frankly, it's bit of a time bomb and I don't see a solution. having at last made some reconciliation with my family, I desperately want to avoid this inheritance business breaking the family up again.”

Daphne was about to protest such a move but Edward raised his hands apologetically.

“I know! I know, don’t blame me; I had nothing to do with my mother’s will. Yes, you’re right it’s not fair to the others but I can’t do a thing about it. It’s what mother wanted and it was as clear as a bell in the will. My mother loved Briony and for some reason, made her the sole benefactor of her estate. Bloody unfair to the others I know, but that’s how it is.”

Daphne fell silent in thought for several moments before she observed.

“Hang on. Briony’s well over twenty one. Why hasn’t she inherited already?”

“The terms of will Daph’. My mother only died two years ago and she already knew about the problems between Arfon and Briony. Briony doesn’t her her hands on the estate until she’s thirty, or a year after she divorces Arfon. My mother was a pretty shrewd old lady. I think she could see their break-up coming.”

“That obvious was it?” Daphne asked.

“Yes. To my mother.” Mr Lewis replied.

“Well Briony’s well out of it. I’m sure you know the story.”

“I do, and thank you for looking after her. The inheritance comes through just before Christmas.”

Daphne nodded then thought again.

“Does Briony know about her inheritance?”

“No. Nobody but I and my dead mother’s solicitors know.”

“Are you going to tell her?”

“Yes, but not here, not now. I’m frightened about how the others will take it.”

Daphne nodded. She could think of several ways to circumvent the hurt the others would feel but she didn’t think it was her part to interfere..

"Well I'm sorry Edward; May I call you Edward? But I'm not sure how I can help. Once Briony knows about it, I'll do my utmost to avert contention in the family but until then, there's not a lot I can do."

Edward Lewis nodded despondently, until the year's grace was run, there was little anybody could do, but at least he now had two heads looking for a solution and his new daughter-in-law had proved she was no fool with figures, while being unconnected to the will.

With the conversation finished they left the Patio and Daphne resumed Dancing with Briony.

As they danced again Briony asked her new partner.

"What did Dad want?"

Daphne wagged her head apologetically.

"I'm sorry Bri, I cant say. Lets just say your dad got a weight of his chest but for now I cannot tell you. Please don't ask again, I'll be able to tell you more in about six months or so. That's all I can say."

Briony looked deep into Daphne's eyes and noted the concern. She decided not to push for anything more and Daphne was grateful for that.

up
126 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Ram 40.

WOW! NEVER saw this coming!

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Same Here...

As for the inheritance, I suspect Briony will find a way to either divide it with her brothers and/or their children -- Christmas, is, after all, a gift-giving occasion -- or use it in some way that honors her grandmother.

(It does seem odd to me that Edward was allowed to keep the will terms secret from the beneficiary after it became official. I'm not sure you can do that in the U.S., though few would probably want to.)

Eric

If the testor ...

If the testor writes such a condition into the will then the executors must try to abide by it provided the conditions are legal. For example they cannot circumvent death duties. Sometimes this can be difficult if there is a large estate or a title with estates to inherit (As is possible still in the UK.) but ordinairily the testor's wishes must be adhered to.

Thanks ever so much for commenting.
Love and hugs.
Beverly.

OXOXOX

bev_1.jpg

Switcheroo!

joannebarbarella's picture

Caught me napping, Bev! I thought if Edward turned up again it would be as a force on the dark side. Nice one!

Now, where's the wedding photos?

Joanne

Wedding photos ...

Desperately sorry for lack of wedding photos. The dog ate my computer Miss.

Hugs.

Bev.
XZXX

These are the only photos of mad Auntie Bev and the two brides taken at the party afterwards.

Bev without the dog at Butterflies resized.jpg

Auntie Bev about to go down the rabbit hole. (No it's a 5'9" door honestly!)

The two brides getting down and busy at the bash during the night of the honeymoon.

The girls!.jpeg

Yes it was a good wedding.

XXX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Hehe - shouldn't be allowed :O

Podracer's picture

Since this story was penned a while back, I'm not surprised if a few photo files have fallen off the page, but the doorway is there.
Anyway, I would see Edward raging around digging for dirt and realising there was only walking Welsh gold wherever he turned.

Passes hand over the crystal and intones huskily "I see great fortune coming your way; the shadows are parting. a ring will surely be involved.."

"Reach for the sun."