The Girl Most Likely To ... - Part 14

Printer-friendly version

The Girl Most Likely To ... - Part 14
by Barbara Lynn Terry

Chapter 1 - The girls want to know more about Renée.

Whenever you have a group of girls, together in one house, restaurant, bowling alley, or whereever they may be, you know they have to have all details on this, that and the other. These girls are girls, and they asked Rachel to tell them more about her friend Renée.

"Please don't think that what I'm going to say, I did because I wanted to do it, but because I was angry at myself for not being strong enough to tell me dad where he could unpolitely go."

"Rachel," Sharon looked her in the eyes. "I promise you we won't think any less of you, because Renée has already forgiven you. We would just like to know this to start off with. Is Renée your BFF?"

"Yes, and I should have been there to help her, instead of calling her names and forcing her to kiss me in the school hallway."

"You mean, like this?" Melanie grabbed Rachel and held her while Melanie planted a long, lasting kiss on Rachel's lips. Of course, Madelline was in the office at the time.

"Yes, Mel, exactly like that."

"How do you feel about that now, sis?" Connie asked.

"Dirty, ashamed, afraid, weak. I ... my dad, he's an ex-Marine, and he always told me that boys who dress like girls are sissies. He said a boy has to be tough and show them who is in charge. So, I thought that meant being a bully."

"Well, sis," Sharon added, "I don't think you're a sissy. Just because you have a male body doesn't mean you're not a girl. Right, girls?" They all said yes, in unison. "I also don't think you're a bully either. I think you were just so insecure, you took it out on your BFF and, in your mind, made you feel better. Rach, where is your father now?"

"In jail, in Forest City. He tried to kill my mother, so they have him charged with attempted murder."

"Sis, do you know why I said you're not a bully? Because when you told your mother you couldn't live with the fact that he would have hurt her, if she had stood up to him, before this incident took place, you were crying. I saw in you a tender heart when you were talking to Renée and your mom. Who were the others that was with Renée?"

"There was her mother, her BFF Sandi and her mother, whose name is Amanda, but everyone just calls her Mandy. When I heard her behind me, I was so surprised. I am so sorry I didn't see all of this before now."

"Rach, I think you're going to be just fine. In one day, you have grown so much in maturity, it is, like Naomi said, mind boggling. We are all here to help you through whatever diffcult times you are going to face. We are all in the same boat, emotionally, and we all know we have problems. When you told your mother that you have problems, and this is the place to work on those problems, I saw a teenage girl, not a boy. When you told your mother you couldn't live in your room at her house, because you're a girl and not a beast, I saw a girl and not a boy. Rach, just because you had a few weak moments, don't think we are going think any less of you. You are our sister, and as our sister, we are going to be there for you."

"Thank you, Sharon, and I will be there for each of you, too."

Sharon hugged Rachel, and unknown to all of them, Naomi had seen and heard everything.

"So this is what is meant as impromptu group therapy. Rach, Sharon is right. Don't think any less about yourself for what you have done. Think about how much stronger you have grown so far, and how much growing you are going to do. Remember sis, it isn't how you fall that people notice, but how you get back up. Didn't Sharon tell you yesterday, when you got here, that you can do a lot of growing up here?"

"Yes, Naomi, I did say that to her."

"Well, look at how much you have grown. Your mother even noticed it."

"But I hurt my best friend. Can I ever live with that?"

"Knowing what you have done and to whom, is wrong, you have already matured. Now you can grow up, mature some more, and do more growing, too, emotionally. Growing up, is more than just becoming older, a lot more. Renée has asked me to bring her with when I come here to help. Does that sound like she is angry at you?"

"No. Oh Naomi, how can I ever make it up to her?"

"You already have, partly. The rest we can work on." Naomi hugged Rachel, and then Janice decided it was time to change the mood.

"We only have about an hour before we have to head to bed, girls. Let's do something fun."

"I know," Joy said, as though a light bulb went off in her head. "I will think of a word, and make motions to give you clues, and we can have fun trying to guess each other's words."

They said yes, and started playing, with Joy going first.

She made the first motion, then Amber Lewis, who is thirteen, said, "It's a place.'

Joy nodded, and they all tried to guess where the place was.

Connie asked if it was nearby and Joy nodded.

Dierdre (Dee) Small, fourteen years old, asked if it was in town. Again Joy nodded.

Then Joy made another motion, and they all looked at each other, and decided that it was a hotel. Joy nodded.

Then Joy made motions like someone carrying luggage.

"Is it the bell hop, Mike?" Fifteen year old Susan Connors, asked. Oh yes, these girls have a crush on the handsome twenty two year old bell hop at the Belmont Plaza Hotel in town.

"Yes, Sue, it is. Your turn."

Susan Connor sat in the chair, leaned forward, put her elbow on her knee and her closed hand on her chin.

Rachel asked if it was a statue. Susan said, yes it was. Melanie said it was The Thinker statue. Susan said yes.

Melanie, acted like she was driving, got up and acted like she was opening and closing a car door. Then, sitting back down, she then acted like she was pressing a button, and the put her hands on the steering wheel.

Everybody guessed it was a car, but couldn't figure what kind. Naomi wasn't taking part in the pantomime, but then Rachel asked her if she wanted to take a guess.

"Is it a taxicab?" Naomi asked.

"Yes, Naomi, it is."

Then Madelline came in the living room and said it was getting on bed time and the girls should wash up, before getting in bed. Everybody gave Naomi a hug before heading off to their rooms to go to bed. Naomi went in the office, and sat down, while Madelline made sure the girls were orderly in their night time, before bed rituals. The girls, all in their rooms, said goodnight, mom, in unison, and it sounded like a chorus. Madelline then back down to the office to write her reports.

"Well, Naomi, Rachel has survived her second day here. Would you like some coffee?"

"Yes, thank you, I'll get it. How do you like yours?"

"Cream and one teaspoon of sugar." Naomi went to get two cups of coffee.

Naomi went in the kitchen and saw the coffee was already done. She thought to herself that Madelline must have done this while the girls were playing pantomimes.

Madelline and Naomi discussed Rachel for a bit, as Madelline wrote out her report.

"How do you think she enjoyed her visit today?"

"She was surprised, Madelline. From what I understood, Renée was Rachel's only victim. But I wonder, though, because if what Rachel told Renée is sincere, and I am betting it is, then Rachel has grown quite a lot in two days, emotionally and maturely."

"I agree, and it's Maddy. The girls call me mom, I suspect, because they didn't have such a decent home. Here, they have found that home. So I don't mind if they call me mom. I kind of like it when they do."

"I think it shows they not only respect you, but like you as they would a loving parent."

"Yes, I quite agree. It is a shame that these girls, being so young, have to have these kinds of problems."

"Well, the only perfect world is Heaven. Unfortunately for us, right now, we have the devil to pay. That's why I went in to law enforcement, so I could help. If Rachel succeeds in her therapy programs, and I am betting she will, then I have achieved what I set out to do."

"What is that, helping Rachel?"

"Well, yes, that, but I would have actually made a difference."

"That is what I think we are doing here, too. There are no restrictions here. We operate this as though these girls were not in an institution."

"I think showing these girls they are trusted, is a big part in their lives, right now."

"It will also show them that they are human beings, and not a just a statistic on a state blotter."

"That is so true. Treating these girls this way, shows that you respect them, and they in turn, respect you."

"Naomi, this week is going to be so crucial for Rachel. We are observing her, without observing her, if you know what I mean."

"Yes, this way she can have fun, without having to worry about things."

"That is the reason for it."

Now, like I said before, girls have to know all the details about things. So, this evening, they kind of listened at the top of the stairs, to Naomi and Madelline talk about things. Rachel heard how she is being treated with respect, and hugged Sharon.

"Well, I suppose I should get in bed too. I want to be in that courtroom tomorrow for the doctor's arraignment."

"Alright, I will show you where your room is."

Hearing this, the girls all got back in their beds, quietly. Or so they thought. As Naomi and Madelline passed each room, Madelline looked in and smiled, knowing full well they were listening.

"Good night, Maddy. I will let you all know what they did in court."

Madelline went back down to the office to finish her reports for Hazel.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 2 - The doctor's arraignment.

The next morning, the house was a buzz of activity as the girls took their showers and got dressed for the day. Naomi was not wearing her uniform today, because she wanted to observe unnoticed. She joined the girls for showers and breakfast.

"Ladies, I will be back with all the gossip. Then after that, I have to leave to go back to Forest City."

"It's too bad you couldn't be a deputy here."

"Well, Melanie, who knows. That just may be possible. The court is going to hear the charges at nine, so I had better go."

Everybody gave Naomi a hug, and she left for the courthouse. The town of Pine Meadows is the county seat of Pine Meadows county. Yes, people, that is how the Pine Meadows Home For Adolescent Girls, got its name.

On the way in to town, she was thinking about nasty things she would love to do to the doctor. Her problem was, she enjoyed helping people, so she sighed and pulled in to an empty space in the courthouse parking lot, and placed a placard in the driver's side windshield that had her position and payroll number on it. Of course, any police officer looking at her back window, would see the sticker that said, Deputy - Alameda County Sheriff - Active. She showed her ID at the metal detector, and was allowed in.

She went to Branch 2 of the Pine Meadows County Courthouse, and sat down. There were only two courtrooms. Branch 1 heard all the civil, misdemeanor and family cases, and Branch 2 heard all the felony cases. The deputy for Branch 2 came in and had a stack of file folders with him. He placed them on the judge's bench, and then went to call the jail to have the doctor brought up. Naomi hasn't seen what the doctor looks like yet, so she was curious. She was thinking that he probably looks like a sleaze anyway.

About five minutes went by, and another deputy brought the doctor in to the courtroom. The bailiff knocked on the judge's chambers door, and said they were ready."

"All rise, Branch 2 of the Pine Meadows County Circuit Court is now in session, judge Steven H. Granger, presiding. Silence is commanded, gentlemen take off your hats."

"Steve, I will have the first case, please."

"If your honor pleases, there are twenty one case folders on your bench, with the defendant as the sole actor."

"Did you say, twenty one?"

"Yes, your honor."

"And only one defendant?"

"Yes, your honor."

"Alright. Steve, will you read each file number in to the record, please?"

"Yes, your honor."

Steven Rodgers had been a deputy in Pine Meadows County for almost fifteen years. He was balding, and his age was starting to show, but you could tell by the way he wore his uniform, that he was no weakling. He had written all the case file numbers down on a sheet of paper, and started calling them off. When he was done, the judge looked increduously at the doctor.

"Sir, do you have an attorney?"

"No, sir."

"Can you afford an attorney?"

"No, sir."

"Very well, this court appoints Mark Alastair to represent the defendant, Arthur Reginald Poole, in each and all of these charges. Sir, if you are convicted of these charges, do you know you stand a good chance of being sentenced to over four hundred years in prison. I will hear motions for bail, and take your plea after your counsel has had a chance to talk to you. You will be remanded until then.

"Steve, are there any more cases?"

"Just one this afternoon, judge."

"Very well, I will be in my chambers. "Young lady," he said, looking at Naomi. "Do you have business in this court, today?"

"Your honor, I'm deputy sheriff Naomi Petersen, from Alameda County. I have a vested interest in this case."

"Are you a witness to any of the cases the defendant is charged with?"

"No, your honor,"

"May I speak with you in chambers, please?"

Naomi got up and went in the judge's chambers.

"I'm curious as to why a deputy sheriff from four counties away, would be interested in these cases." Naomi told him about Rachel, and where she is now, and that she made a deal to help Rachel, if Rachel went along with the programs set up for her.

"Well, I have never heard of anything so pleasing in my entire career. What does the institution think about that?"

"Well, they are all for it, in fact,they even encourage it. But, your honor, these girls don't think of Pine Meadows as an institution, they think of it as their home."

"I will have to go an see this for myself."

"Your honor, all the girls at the home are witnesses and victims."

"Oh, then it wouldn't be right to talk to them, without the district attorney there. But after this defendant's trial or trials, I want to see this home. I have been there and talked with Joan Wells, the superintendent. I can wait to see this home that the girls love, until after the trials or trials."

"I'm sure, judge, you will be pleasantly surprised, as I was when I first saw this house."

"I'm sure. Well, you have a safe trip back to Alameda County."

"Thank you, your honor, but I have to stop and pick up a Christmas tree ornament for their Christmas tree. Then I will head back."

"It was nice meeting you, deputy Petersen. If you go over to the greeting card store, they have wonderful ornaments there. Here let me write the address for you." They shook hands and Naomi left.

The store wasn't hard to find, because the courthouse was just two blocks from Main Street, where all the stores and shops were.

She went in the store, and was looking around for the right ornament, when a young man, maybe twenty years old, asked if he could help her find something."

"Yes, I'm looking for a special ornament for a friend's Christmas tree."

"Well, we have several nice ones. We have sleighs, santa clauses, reindeer, and ... oh! Here is one of two turtle doves, or love birds as they are called."

She bought the turtle doves, and headed back to the home. She kind of snuck in and placed the ornament on the tree. Melanie happened to come in the living room.

"Naomi! What are you doing?"

"Hi Mel, I'm putting an ornament on the tree."

"You bought an ornament for our tree?"

"Yes, Mel."

"OMG, those are turtle doves. Thank you, Naomi." They both hugged and Melanie went to get the rest of the girls.

The other girls came in and saw the ornament, and gave Naomi a hug.

"Naomi, the legend is, if you have one turtle dove, and you give the other one to someone else, that means you are friends for life."

"I know, Sharon."

Sharon took the turtle doves and separated them, giving one to Naomi, and putting the other one on the tree. Naomi hugged Sharon and thanked her. Then she got hugs from all the girls.

"Girls, I have to leave. I have had a wonderful time. I will be back."

up
119 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I've just caught up on the story

I started to read an episode or so last night, and I couldn't stop (Well, until I got so tired I had to sleep). I've now caught up, and I have to say, I love the story. I wish we had a similar school heree in Michigan. I also wish we had judges willing to punish problem kids in such a creative way, although some people might consider it "Cruel and unusual punishment."

"Cruel?" I don't know. I'm not aware of any stratistics regarding petticoat punishment, but in some cases it might be psychologically damaging. I think it's less damaging than prison, but that's my opinion.

"Unusual?" Definitely. But is that a bad thing? With prison overcrowding becoming more and more severe, I think creativity should be encouraged, and if this sort of punishment actually IS effective, it should be aggressively supported.

Great story, Barbara. Keep it coming.

Wren

Thank you, Wren.

The Pine Meadows Home For Adolescent Girls is actually based on a real girls residential treatment center, but since this is fiction, and I believe in "let the punishment fit the crime", I had the judge place Rachel in Pine Meadows to see how girls actually live. Pine Meadows is a really nice place where girls can get help from each other and the staff, but mostly from each other. Like Naomi said, they have impromptu therapy sessions with each other, or as a group.

Thank you for reading and commenting.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

400 years if convicted?

Raff01's picture

Somehow I don't see him living to see it past six months in jail. Even if he is kept away from others, someone will get to him and for a case like that the guards just may forget to be near his cell at a certain time.

The Girl Most Likely To ... - Part 14

Maybe he will suffer some accident before sentencing to make him a convict's partner in bed.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

21 counts

Raff01's picture

I think with that it would one hello of a clerical error to get him with another person. Remember 12 years at least if not more and all the girls seem to be between 12 and 16. He's toast if another prisoners gets near him

Wouldn't it be nice Barbara

If all Juvenile detention homes were run like this one, barring of course the sick doctors.

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Yes, Rita, it definitely would be very nice, indeed.

The Wisconsin Child Center in Sparta, Wisconsin wasn't anything like Pine Meadows. At WCC, there was abuse all over the place, and one thing the judiciary, and law enforcement in Wisconsin don't do, is believe a prisoner or a resident of a state institution. A Milwaukee police officer once told me, if he had his way, he would arrest everybody, except for cops.

But the residential treatment center I have used as a model for Pine Meadows was opened for adolescent girls in 1996, and the age range is 12-18 years old.

The Wisconsin Child Center in Sparta, Wisconsin still stands, but was closed in 1976 or 1979. I forget which, but it is a good thing it was closed, because of all the abuse certain people suffered there from the staff as well as the residents.

Let's all get together and form our own idea of what a perfect world is supposed to be like.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Growing & no lawyer

Renee_Heart2's picture

Rachel HAS grown a lot in just two days that I will agree with she needed to see the people she hurt espicaly Renèe, Sandy Rachel's mom Santy's mom & even her own mom. She has a new friend in Renèe that I think she will Cherish & let grow.

Lol the girls ARE sneeky or so they thought... At least they are well informed
(even if it's not exactly polite [I think that's the word I'm looking for]) about what goes on around & in the house.

Now for the sleaze slime ball Dr. I fuss working for the state dosen't pay that much even for a Dr. Where he can't afford his own councle & I guess he had to wait for his aringment to get councl.

I'm glad that Naomi was at the the arigent & the judge cled her to his chambers to talk to her & she told him about the house & how it operates & how the girls feel about it being home, & the judge wants to see it I think he will be impressed with the operation of it & how happy the girls are there & how they treat each other. At least Naomi told the judge that ALL the girls are the plantifs in the court case against the Dr.

Not sure how the Dr. will plead or how the judge will let him plead. The judge may allow a NOT GULTY plea so he can hear the facts of the case as told by each girl.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Well Renee, the judge really doesn't have anything to do with

how a defendant pleas. The judge is the administrator of the law and the referee during the trial. The jury is the trier of fact, and it is up them whether they believe the defendant or the prosecutor. Normally in cases like this, the plea for each charge is not guilty, and it is up the jury to say otherwise.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Turtle doves

Jamie Lee's picture

21 counts for one defendant is mind boggling. If they were for crimes which people associated with "normal" crimes, they wouldn't be all that shocking.

But what Poole did to acquire 21 counts against him aren't what most think of as "normal" crimes. In fact, those who learn of such crimes feel much the same as Naomi did after reading Sharon's deposition.

Poole is being remanded until he pleas and bail is discussed. Problem is, people talk. Word will get to those being held in jail about Poole's activities. The chances of there being one person in jail who takes exception to what Poole has done, might just take matters in his own hands. There is a good chance Poole will never stand trial. It's hard for a dead man to attend his own trial.

Did Naomi buy the turtle doves on purpose? Did she buy them because she was made an honorary sister and knew of the legend? Sharon giving her one of the doves made Naomi a friend of the girls for life.

Others have feelings too.