The Book - A TWILIGHT ZONE story

Printer-friendly version

book.jpgYou're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind; a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of the imagination. Next stop: THE TWILIGHT ZONE. - Rod Serling

The Book - A TWILIGHT ZONE story
By Anon Allsop

Mark Faylor had an ongoing vendetta against his sister, he wanted to dig up dirt on her and make her life miserable at home with their parents. He thought he found just what he was looking for, when he uncovered a strange old book hidden under her bed. Unfortunately for Mark, he's about to find out what happens, when you snoop around the dark recesses of... THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

It was around 11:30 am when I started to become bored with the programs on the TV, since no one was around to stop me I began to snoop. Both of my parents were at work, and my older sister had just left for her job at a local theme park... she would be gone until late in the evening.

It was the start of summer vacation, hot and sticky for early June. Feeling relatively safe from being discovered I moved with ease around her belongings, looking for something that I could use against her in a future argument.

Her closets proved to be fruitless, unless I wanted to use the very short skirt hidden behind all of her other items. "Mom would sure be upset knowing she had that there..." I decided that I should commit it to memory just in case I found nothing earth shattering in my search. I bent down and lifted up the ruffled valance that surrounded her bed, hidden there, was a wooden box about 24" by 12"... but only around 8 inches deep. I slid it out and sat next to it on the floor.

As I pulled the box into the light, I noticed right away that she had padlocked it. I frowned and studied the small golden lock for weaknesses, curiosity driving me to greater heights of deviousness. I was determined to figure out a way inside the box...

"Okay sis, what ARE you hiding?" I wondered aloud.

I made a quick dash into my own room and returned with a tiny paperclip, after gently bending it I inserted it into the small hole. The minutes passed by slowly as I continued to work the lock, I knew that it couldn't hold me out of the box for long... no lock had ever kept me away, and this was no different.

Suddenly the lock sprang open and I worked it from the latch. "Not bad for a 14 year old." I mused to myself and laughed.

As I slowly threw back the lid, my eyes were met with nothing more than a book. "What a rip." I sighed. Then I noticed a letter folded up in the lid and held there by a small piece of tape, I pulled it down and slowly opened it up.

"Amie, thanks for offering to keep the book for us. Just like Jennifer had said, you only need to bring it with you when our coven meets on Thursdays. We'll let you know where our next meeting takes place. Again, thanks for taking care of it for us."

I raised one eyebrow and continued to read, "...Just remember, this is a pretty powerful book... in the wrong hands, it could be dangerous. Thanks again, Kathy."

I lowered the letter and ran my finger across the deep engraving on its leather cover. "So... my sister is dabbling with the occult." I smiled slowly, "Oh, this is going to be so good!"

I slowly opened up the book; its yellowed pages told me that it was very old. "Looks almost like the book they use on that show about the three witches..."

I studied the faded ink on the first few pages and randomly inserted my finger between the pages deeper into the book. I opened it and studied the very scrolling work, I could just make out the letters as the old style of script made it very difficult to decipher.

I found at the top in heavy scrolling letters a very ornate "S" it was just about the only letter I could make out with much ease... the others though less bold, were almost impossible to figure out. I had to take each little flourish and trace it into my mind until after about 10 minutes I thought I knew what it said.

"Geesch... they made it hard enough to read!" I laughed then tried to sound out the word that I had just figured out. "Six? What the heck is that supposed to mean?"

I finally gave up as it was making my head hurt trying to figure out what it was used for. I marked the page with a small scrap of paper pulled from Amie's trash, marked the page and tucked the heavy book under my arm. I left her room and headed down the steps where I laid it on the kitchen table. Every once in a while I would glance at it as I was making my sandwiches for lunch.

I drug a soda from the refrigerator and sat it down next to a large bag of chips, reaching out, I turned the book so I could read while I ate. The words were from a strange language that I couldn't make out... part of it seemed like Latin, some seemed like German. I slowly sounded out the little paragraph, at different intervals a small word in red underlined text would appear. It seemed to be an important word but as much as I could make out, it was just a flourished 'six'.

I pushed the book away and closed it so I could finish my lunch, once done, I quickly returned it to her bedroom. Carefully laying it down in the box I re-taped the letter as I found it, locked the lid and gently pushed it back under the bed where I found it earlier. I stood up and took my foot, dragging it against the nap of the carpet I removed the flattened rectangle where the heavy book had pressed the rug down.

I left the room and smiled to myself smugly as I again pulled one over on Amie. I trotted down the steps, taking two at a time and headed out our back door, cutting across the lawn. I turned down the sidewalk toward the park where I thought I could hook up with my friends for a quick game of basketball.

Behind me I heard the low rumble of a car, turning and looking over my shoulder I saw a sweet yellow Corvette with bright orange flames painted on its side. I watched as the driver slowly approached, he was waiving at a small group of girls and checking them out with rapt interest.

Suddenly, I felt a brief disorientation and nausea. When I realized that my point of view had changed drastically, now I was setting behind the wheel of the shiny sports car. I slowly pulled my hand down in mid wave.

"What's going on here?" I whispered in an astonished voice.

The little group of girls were waiving at me and calling me by name, it was very surreal. I glanced to my right quickly, there was a young boy standing near the road, it was me... or who I had been.

Suddenly again the strange feeling washed over me and I gave a slight wave to the passing vette. I glanced at my hand as I had somehow returned to my own body. I felt my knees grow weak and try to buckle, I eased myself backward and took a seat on a low rock wall. What I had just experienced was like nothing I had ever have happen to me prior to this date, somehow, even for the briefest of moments I had occupied the body of that man in the car.

That in itself was strange enough, only, I could distinctly remember the soft steering wheel under my grip. I could feel the vibration of the motor through my legs, I could even recall the bounce of the mirrors reflection as the car rolled along. For that strange split second I WAS that man in the car, I could still feel that odd feeling in my groin as I mentally thought about what I would like to do to each of the girls that I was passing.

Then I remembered how I felt when I passed myself on the street, I saw no recollection in that young boy's eyes. It was as though we were two entirely separate people. I looked down at my tennis shoes, I could still feel the strange way that the man's sandals fit between my toes and where the strap wrapped around my back ankle and buckled. Very strange indeed.

The siren of a speeding police car brought me out of my thoughts, I slowly stood and began to walk on down the sidewalk with my hands shoved deeply into my pockets. At the corner I watched the 'walk, don't walk' sign and crossed when it flashed that it was okay to do so. On the other side I passed a small hedge of Mrs. Peterson's house, she was the young wife of Doctor Peterson, I cut their grass once each week for twenty dollars.

As I passed their mailbox I glanced inside to see if the grass needed to be cut again, it would soon need it and I thought to myself that I should expect a call any day. I glanced back down the street, when I looked back up I noticed Mrs. Peterson coming toward me. She was using her left hand to support her back, she smiled at me as she waddled closer. Suddenly I felt the strangeness wash over me again, a momentary feeling of dizziness and I stumbled only to be caught and uprighted.

"Careful now." The young voice said as the strong hands steadied my body. I nodded and looked up into the face of my former body. I felt my knees again try to give, "Come on Mrs. Peterson, I'll walk you back to the house." He directed me down their sidewalk and sat me on a porch swing.

"Th... Thanks." I stammered, still dazed from my sudden bout with nausea.

He crouched down and looked intently into my eyes, "You going to be okay? Should I call your husband?" He asked.

My trembling hand wiped the little beads of sweat from my lip, apparently I somehow was transported into the pregnant body of Mrs. Peterson. She must be in me, only she isn't acting any different than I would have been. The boy quickly ran inside and returned with my cordless phone, "I'd better call Mr. Peterson. You seem out of it, he would be concerned if he knew that you were acting so strangely."

I stopped his hand and gently took the phone from him, "I'll be okay, I just need to sit for awhile." He took a seat next to me on the swing, "It's probably just the heat." I said, trying to throw off his seeming concern.

He kept watching me, then he finally spoke, "Why don't you at least let me get you a glass of ice water? That may help?" He smiled at me when I nodded. He stood up and started inside as I laid the phone on a small table next to the swing. Suddenly the door opened back up, "Mrs. Peterson, where do you keep your cups?"

"There in the upper right hand shelf, next to the sink." The words quickly shot from my mouth before I could think. He nodded and quickly closed the door, again leaving me to my odd thoughts.

I could feel the weight of Mrs. Peterson's breasts as if they were my own, the shape and size of the huge swelling stomach gave me no recourse but to think of the child that lay quietly within its confines. I felt the infant move inside, a strange bump formed along its surface from the knee or elbow. I placed a slender hand on the stretched surface to still the movement.

One hand I rested upon the rolling surface of my stomach, the other pulled her stray brown hair, back and over an ear. I raised up my leg and studied my aching, swollen ankle.

"How could this happen?" I whispered to myself in a voice that was now soft and feminine.

I heard the screen door opening, there reappeared the boy I once was, carrying a tall glass of ice and water. He handed it to me, the condensation rolled and dripped on my smooth leg, its icy coolness making me jump with a start. Again a strange feeling overwhelmed me and I was suddenly surrounded in a great dark shroud of blackness. Muffled voices could be heard.

"Where am I?" I wondered again.

One muffled voice asked another, "Are you feeling any better?"

The other, much louder responded, "Yes, thank you Mark. It was very kind of you to sit here with me while I was feeling so strangely."

Again the first voice replied, "No problem Mrs. Peterson."

Suddenly it dawned on me where I was, somehow the strange feeling had moved me into the body of the infant. I began to panic and struggle, a great pressure slowly pushed gently on the surface of my knee.

The familiar loud voice spoke soothingly, "My, my you are active today!" Then I heard a loud giggle. "Feel the baby moving inside of me Mark." I felt an odd movement and another lighter pressure.

Suddenly, I found myself standing before Mrs. Peterson with my hand applied gently to her tight belly, beneath my hand a young child was vigorously rolling.

She giggled and let me pull back, "Have you ever felt such an active baby?"

"No ma'am." I said, then felt my knees slowly give under me. I quickly threw out my hand to catch myself.

"Are you alright?" She asked, trying to stand up.

"I'm okay. I guess the heat may be getting to me too!" I gave her an embarrassed smile. "Uh, I'd better be going... I have something that I need to be doing."

She looked at the yard, "I guess you could come on over later today or tomorrow and cut the grass. It looks like it could be using it."

"Sure, I'll do that." I responded, then quickly headed down her short steps.

"Call before you come, so I can make sure someone's here!" She shouted to my back as I hurried along her walk.

"No problem!" I called back over my shoulder.

Once back on the sidewalk I paused to catch my breath, my heart racing like a piston. I closed my eyes and tried to control my breathing, my hand resting upon my heaving chest.

"What the heck was that all about?" I gasped as if I had just run a distance marathon. "How is all that happening?" I made my way back toward my home, taking a seat on the rock wall to steady my trembling legs. I buried my face into my hands and sighed. "What is causing me to jump back and forth into other people's bodies?"

Then suddenly as if a light was turned on in the blackest of caves, it came to me. "Oh shit!" I spat the word out in one long sigh. "The book! It has to be something in the book!" I dragged my hands back through my curly black hair, then again buried my face into my hands. "The thing I read, what was that again? Something about six?" I knew then, I had to return home as quickly as possible. Mentally, I began to count the times I had changed. "One, I became the man in the car. Two, I became a very pregnant Mrs. Peterson. Three, I was changed into the baby inside her stomach." I shuddered and sighed out slowly, sounding like an old steam locomotive. "But... but what if?" My mind reeled, again I recounted the changes. "One, I became the man in the vette. Two... I was changed back into me. Three, Mrs. Peterson. Four, I became her baby. Five, I returned to being me." I almost fell from my seating position as the sudden realization of my dilemma occurred to me. "One more change and... I... I'll most likely be stuck!" My shocked voice broke into a trembling whisper. "That's why the spell was named Six!"

Pressing my eyes tightly closed, the fear of changing into someone else scaring the wits from me. I jumped to my feet, using the wall I felt my way back into the direction of my home. "How will I be able to stay in my own form?" I stumbled over a tuft of grass but held myself up, still continuing to keep my eyes firmly closed.

"A mirror! That's it!" I gasped, "I'll see my own reflection in the mirror and it will change me into myself... my God, this has got to work!" I felt like crying as I raced along in my self imposed darkness, using the wall to direct me homeward.

Suddenly, the wall ended and our chain link fence took its place. "Only about a hundred more feet to go!" I whispered. "Seventy-five, fifty..." I continued to mentally count down the distance to the mirror I would use.

A loud beep sounded, the deep 'whump, whump, whump' of a Harley rumbled in my ear.

"Hey kid!" A booming voice called out. "Where's the road to take me to the interstate?" I turned and looked down the street, pointing.

"It's about three or four blocks that way, turn at the light. That's the street that will take you to the interstate..." I felt my head turning, it was as if I were in slow motion... my movement slower than my realization of what could happen. As my head swiveled, I locked upon the dark, sexy legs of a young woman riding behind the broad shouldered man. Her thighs were slender and toned nicely as she pressed them into the man's hips.

In the most briefest of instants, my gaze drank in her beautiful young figure. She couldn't have been more than twenty two or three, her hair was long and a golden yellow. She was wearing white shorts and a bright yellow bikini top that just barely held her pert medium sized breasts confined. The bright colors contrasting her deep tan, as a thin golden chain surrounded her waist lightly like a gentle hug.

Her face was quite lovely, full lips sparkling with a glossy moist shine. Beautiful long lashes looking back at me, eyes bluer than the ocean. She smiled, her smile was sexy and pure, brilliant, white and oh so straight.

She had her one hand around the man's waist, dangerously close to his groin. The other was resting along her own thigh, her feminine nails gleaming in the bright sun. A finger on the hand near his crotch was gleaming in the sun, a radiant sparkle from a ring danced in my eyes. All this within the blink of an eye, I could feel the strangeness building from somewhere deep within my being.

"Thanks kid!" The man said as the strange tingling made me fall against the fence. I caught myself, I could feel the steel lattice of the fence in my fingertips, then, suddenly it was gone. Replaced by the smoothness of my hands against my own thigh, the other was resting against the rough texture of his denim shorts.

I suddenly turned and looked back as the boy who I had been stood up and began to walk slowly into the house that I had once called home. My long braided ponytail dancing behind the speeding motorcycle.

I looked down at my thighs, the pressure of them against his hips, strangely erotic. I could feel his semi swollen erection as it rested near my left hand. I pulled it back and let it lay on my thigh as my other one had been, the glint of the dazzling diamond drawing my eyes to the seriousness of my situation.

I brought my hand up before my own face, the diamond and small band next to it now had my full attention. In the mirror the man smiled and patted my calf with his hand, stroking it along the entire surface up to my knee.

I could feel him downshifting as we rolled to the light and stopped, he braced his huge cycle up with his feet. Next to us pulled a fiery red classic Mustang, the young man inside was ogling our way. When the light quickly changed we turned left, leaving the Mustang still at the light waiting for his own turn.

"Did you see that?" The man driving the Harley shouted over his shoulder.

"The man in the Mustang checking out your Harley?" I asked, my voice light and strangely sexy.

"Yeah right... it wasn't the Harley he was checking out." He chuckled and reached back behind himself, placing his fingers firmly between my widely spread thighs and his back. I swallowed hard and looked down, he was gently putting a light pressure on my crotch, sending strange messages throughout my body.

He glanced back at me in his highway mirrors, "That's alright." He smiled, flashing a sexy boyish grin, one that made my stomach strangely flutter. "They can look all they want, but they can't be touching my baby."

His wiggling fingers caused a strange tightness in my chest, the youthful feminine nipples pressing out on the shiny surface of the yellow bikini top. I could feel tears stinging my eyes, as I realized that my body was in tune with what he was doing to me, strangely wanting him to continue... to caress me down there, and more.

***

On the long interstate that runs through the countryside, Mark found himself racing along, leading him in the direction of only God knows where. Fully realizing that he would be forever trapped; sealed inside the beautiful form of the young wife. The road, you may ask? You won't find it on any map, it can only be found winding through the little hills and valleys of... THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

The End
up
90 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very Nice!

I enjoyed this! it was much stranger than I expected, but very enjoyable, like your other TZ stories. I could read quite a few more of these!

Wren

Oh I remember Rod Serling narrating the episodes of The

Twilight Zone. You have to be careful though, because that road you turned left on, takes you straight to ....THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Oh I remember Rod Serling narrating the episodes of The

Twilight Zone. You have to be careful though, because that road you turned left on, takes you straight to ....THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

One of your better

Twilight Zone stories, IMHO.

Your characters always learn something important, at least to them.

This lesson was simple. Don't mess around with things you don't understand.

Maggie