Final Fantasy - New Moon Part 1

Printer-friendly version

Nathen Micheals was an avid video game player who loved the Final Fantasy game series big time to say the least. When Final Fantasy XIII-2 was released he had already put in a pre-order a month in advance, and on release day, raced home from school as fast as he could.

“Hey mom did my package from Amazon come in yet?” Nat yelled at his mom as he came through the door.

“It’s on the table. Make sure you do your homework before you touch any of your video games young man!” his mother yelled from the livingroom.

“Ok mother,” he muttered as he grabbed the box off the table and ran upstairs to his room. His mother had become quite a drunk, not abusive, but a drunk none the less after his father passed away two years ago, so he knew she would probably pass out long before she bothered to check on him.

Entering his room, he threw open the box to find something he wasn’t totally expecting. It was his pre-order of Final Fantasy XIII-2, but it was in a gold box rather than the usual Xbox 360 green. He quickly tore through the game’s plastic packaging and gathered his codes for his pre-order items with a huge grin on his face. He ignored the handwritten letter that fell to his floor and swept under his bed.

Nathen threw his backpack into the chair and sat down, opening the golden box and pulling out the game. To his surprise it was a blank looking XBox game disk with no writing on it. He studied it a bit puzzled. At first he considered searching online to see if anyone else got a similar box, but the weird, gold box really piqued his curiosity.

“Maybe it’s like a first off the line special deal?” he asked no one in particular as he stared at the blank disk.

“Well here it goes,” he answered himself and opened the xbox tray, placing the game on the tray and closing it quickly. The game started to load into the Final Fantasy Loading Screen, when suddenly the lights start to dim in the house.

“The graphics look so much more realistic then the last one!” Nathen grinned as the game started through its intro movie. He selected “Start new game”, and suddenly the power in the house blew, and everything went dark.

“Damit!” he shouted, startled, racing for the bedroom door. He flung it open and bellowed, “Mom did you forget to pay the damn electric bill again?”

“Watch your language young man,” she scolded. “It’s probably a blackout. I’ll call the electric company and see what happened. In the meantime come get a candle from the pantry so you can finish your homework.”

Nathen grumbled as he went to grab some candles and headed back upstairs, sitting down at his desk and lighting one to start his homework. “Might as well get this done then since I can’t play my new game.”

Finishing what homework he had, he walked back downstairs, “Mom whats up with the power?”

Glancing up from a half-finished glass of wine, she shrugged. “They’re sending someone. Meantime I ordered Chinese, since I probably shouldn’t be driving,” she continued, staring into her glass with equal parts desire and disgust.

Nathen sighed, “I’m going to go lay down then. Wake me when the Chinese food gets here ok Mom?”

“Okay. Hey,” she called after him as he turned to leave. “I love you.”

Nathen rolled his eyes and turned to head back to his room. “Whatever,” he mumbled as he closed the door and collapsed on his bed causing the handwritten letter to waft back out, but he didn’t notice it, rolling over onto his side facing the wall as a storm began to brew in the distance. He also didn’t notice the dvd drive on his XBox suddenly spin up, despite the lack of power.

His Xbox started to boot into Final Fantasy XIII-2, or what he thought was just the game. Unknown to him, the game he happened to place in the machine wasn’t an ordinary game, but the world itself...

Nathen felt like his head was spinning. He couldn’t tell if he was asleep or awake, when he suddenly felt solid ground beneath his bare knees. He cautiously opened his eyes.

“Hey girl, what the hell are you doing behind these boxes?” a very pretty woman with medium link, light pink hair, carrying an odd sheathed sword at her side barked in a military-like tone.

“What?” Nathen asked, staring blankly back at her for only a split second before clutching at his throat with one hand, covering his mouth with the other. “Was that..” he whispered, then covered his mouth again. That lilted, childlike and girlish voice was certainly not his. He stared, bewildered and frightened at the woman, as well as her sword.

“Come out from behind there. You’re safe with me,” she instructed as she offered her hand. Nathen stared blankly back at her for just a moment before he rose to his feet.

He wasn’t quite prepared for the next two shocks - long hair touching nearly bare shoulders, and the distinct feeling of his feet and legs angled slightly forward by his shoes, about two sizes too large. He was too confused to focus much attention on either just now, stumbling into one of the boxes he had apparently been kneeling behind. “What... Who... Where...” he fumbled.

“First what’s your name?” the woman stated. “You’re in an alleyway of Palumpolum“

“P-P-P-Palumpolum?!” he practically squealed. “That’s impossible! I have to be dreaming!”

The woman scoffed. “You’re awake, and this is Palumpolum. I was about to take leave to Bodhum till I found you, but now I have paperwork,” she sighed.

Slowly looking down, Nathen jumped slightly. “I-I’m a girl... What the hell’s going on?”

“Yes you’re a girl, and I did ask your name?” the woman continued to stare expectantly at the young girl in front of her.

Nathen slowly reached out her hand, touching the woman’s arm before pulling back again. “Shit. This is real. And you’re really...” he, now she, paused, catching herself. She knew Claire “Lightning” Farron when she saw her. “Real. Then that means I’m really in... Holy shit.” She paused and giggled. “Oh, umm... I’m... Nat, I guess? My head’s still spinning...”

“Nat as in Natali? Ok, follow me young lady. I need to take you to someone who can help you find your parents or guardian.” The woman turned around.

Nathen, now Natali, hung her head. Between the rather loud echoes of her low heeled shoes against the hard street, and the slight breeze rustling the short dress she was apparently wearing, her cheeks burned fiercely. She shut her eyes tight, opening them again, only to be greeted by the same scenery once more.

“Come on, wake up Nat,” she whispered more frantically. “Shit shit shit. Come on, Mom, get off your drunk ass and wake me up!”

“Do you recognize any of this stuff now young lady?” the woman asked as she led her down the semi busy street.

She wanted to answer truthfully. She recognized the city from Chapter 7 of the original game easily enough, but they’d never believe her if she told anyone. Part of her wanted to cry. Being in Lightning’s custody meant if she tried to run, she’d definitely get caught, so she reverted to her moody teenager nature instead, pouted, and shrugged. “Whatever. You won’t believe me anyway.”

“If you don’t know the area here, then where are you from? And if I have to take you on my leave with me you’d best drop the damn attitude. I have a kid sister myself and I know that attitude.” Lightning sighed.

Natali actually cracked a smile at that comment, mumbling quietly, “I always wondered if that went any deeper.” She paused to cover her mouth. “Shit.” She was growing more nervous now, and fleeing began to seem like a much better idea, especially as they passed another alleyway.

She edged away from Lightning, hoping the powerful woman wouldn’t notice as she began to lag behind, easing her way toward freedom. Lightning reached back and grabbed the young girl and pulled her along.

“No falling back. Keep up and things will go smoothly.”

“I can’t help it. These shoes are killing me. Can we stop for a second?” Natali whined.

Lightning sighed and stopped, turning to the girl, still holding her hand. “Take those damn things off and go barefoot. It’s only a block.”

“THANK you,” she answered honestly, even if she did have other ideas. She backed her backside up against the facade of a nearby building and quickly stepped out of her over-sized shoes. She looked up at Lightning for a moment as she massaged her toes, bent forward slightly, and took a deep breath, sprinting off down the alleyway.

Lightning shook her head and walked to the alleyway’s entrance stating casually, “You went the wrong way girl. If you wanted to run from me, you should have went down the other alley.”

“Shit!” she growled, looking around frantically for a side-door. Finding none, she backed against the wall and cowered. “Please don’t hurt me?”

Lightning walked up to Natali and grabbed her, pulling her gunblade. “If you ever run from me again, I will use this on you, but for now I promise you, I won’t hurt you. Just let me do my job so I can go see my sister.”

Natali hesitantly nodded. “I’m sorry. It’s just, I don’t belong here. I want to be here, but this isn’t my body, and... and...” Tears welled up as she hung her head, “But I don’t wanna keep you from Serah.” She sighed, holding onto Lightning’s arm more tightly. “Just get me somewhere less exposed, and I’ll tell you everything I remember.”

“I didin’t mention Serah’s name,” Lightning gave the girl a sidelong glance, but actually grinned, if briefly.

“Oh, um, well, you’re Lightning, right? Everyone knows about you and Serah, and Snow and...” As the pair walked out of the alley, Natali’s stomach rumbled. She frowned. “Mom was supposed to order Chinese... God I’m so hungry.”

“Here lets get you something to eat, and you can tell me everything including what ‘Chinese’ is.” Lightning looked down at the young lady. “And maybe we can get you to stop talking like you’re a member of NORA.”

“That sounds great, but … what about your leave? And your sister? I don’t want to get in the way. I mean, what you do is like, world-saving crucial,” she babbled. Male or female, Nat was still just a kid, and Lightning was more of a hero to her than her own mother would’ve ever been. Besides, moody teenager almost got her shot. Maybe awe-struck fan girl might work instead.

“Look, I’ll take you down to New Bodhum when I go. You can stay with my sister, and maybe find your family ok? My next patrol is in that area after I get back anyway. I might be able to help you. You seem like a nice girl.” A pained expression seemed to cross the woman’s face for a second as she turned away. Her visions told her she couldn’t tell Natali the truth just yet, so she had to continue pretending not to care, no matter what the personal pain.

“Yeah right,” Natali mumbled then covered her mouth. “Shit. Don’t take that the wrong way. It’s just... Ahh, fuck. It’s a long story. I mean it’s not really “long” long, but-” but before she could continue, Lightning turned to glare at her.

“Sorry. Shutting up.” She sighed, pausing just long enough to grab her shoes and carrying them along with her.

“Here, kid.“ Lightning pulled out a big military issue knife and extended it hilt-first. “You can keep this, as a token ok?”

Staring at the large blade, she blinked a few times. “You’re serious?”

Lightning ruffled the girl’s hair a bit and nodded. “Yes it’s yours as long as you need it ok? And Serah and I will help you find your way home. I promise you that.” That faint expression crossed her features again, like a flash, brief, but intense. Natali didn’t notice it, busy examining the high polish of her new knife in the mid-morning light. She clutched it close, like a security blanket - a very sharp one.

“I dunno if I want to go home,” the girl sighed, shaking her head. “I mean, this is all so weird, but it’s not like I’ve got anything to go home to. I dunno what I want.”

“Well kid, I’d say I would force you home, but I’ve changed, after the war. If we cant find your parents, Serah and I will take you into our family I guess. No choice really, since I found you didn’t I?” Lightning smiled down at her.

Natali’s cheeks flushed a brilliant crimson. “This isn’t a nightmare. This is a dream. I’m not sure I want to wake up anymore,” she whispered, clinging a little closer to Lightning’s side.

Lightning reached over and gently pinched the girl with a big grin on her face.

“YEEEEOUCH! HEY! What the fuck was that for?!” Natali squealed then blushed even more brightly at the utterly girlish outburst, mixed with a bit of boy in the language..

“You really need to stop swearing like a member of NORA, but now you know your not asleep, huh?” Lightning continued to grin as they walked to Lightning’s office. Natali couldn’t remember Lightning ever being this cheerful. Whatever she missed in the sequel, it must’ve been huge.

“You really have lightened up since the war.” Natali giggled to herself.

“You have no idea what I’ve been through kid, but you might not want to either.” Lightning frowned a bit, “I almost lost my sister twice you know.”

Natali nodded. “I never got past the loading screen.” She paused, biting her lip. “It’s... a long story.”

Lightning looked confused, “You’re a strange one, but you and Serah will get along just fine. She’s a teacher; got herself a school set up in New Bodhum now and everything.”

“Wow,” Natali whispered. “I guess she’s a lot older than I realized.” She stared up into Lightning’s face and tilted her head. “I’m not stupid enough to ask you your age, but how long has it been? Since the war I mean.”

“This is year 6AF sweetie. You should know that.” Lightning smiled. Natali blushed slightly at being called ‘sweetie’, but on subconscious level, she was smiling brightly at it.

“I didn’t,” was as far as she could let herself get, shaking her head. “Maybe I should start from the beginning. Just … promise you won’t lock me up in a mental ward when I’m done because it’s all completely true.”

Lightning laughed. “I wont be doing that. You do know Serah traveled through time to find me right?”

Natali stared blankly up at Lightning, but smiled. “Like I said, I didn’t make it past the loading screen. I heard there was some time travel involved though. Oh it’s not like I was spying on you or something. Well I mean, I guess I kind of was but... Yeah, okay I’m just going to start from the beginning before I dig myself any deeper.”

“Keep it simple kid. Most people can just watch the holo’s of the war and figure out my role in it. I don’t care how you came across the information.” Lightning opened the door to let the girl in, and the guard in the front saluted Lightning.

“Commander Lightning”, he nodded afterward.

Natali eyed the guard nervously, quickly hiding the knife Lightning gave her as best she could, which wasn’t very well considering she had no belt or bag of any sort.

“Bring your daughter to work day is it Ma`am?” the guard gibbed at Lightning, and she smirked at him. Natali, hiding just slightly behind Lightning, stuck her tongue out, but kept close to her bodyguard.

Lightning scoft slightly, “Yeah you can say something of the sort. I need the room for a few minutes so I talk to her about how to behave around here. Shes been with her Aunt Serah and NORA a bit too long, and has gotten the language part from them.”

Natali practically giggled at the ‘Aunt Serah’ comment, grinning innocently as she tried hard to portray the bratty kid line, which admittedly wasn’t a stretch from her usual attitude anyway. “There’s nothing wrong with having a little fun though,” she insisted.

“So whats yer lil one’s name?” the guard asked as she and Natali headed into the private room.

“Her name is Natali, and she’s a bit young for you to be flirting with, Private.” Lightning gave him a look.

Natali’s jaw dropped as she looked from Lightning back to the guard, then back to Lightning, practically scampering to keep up. She whispered, “He wasn’t... really interested in me was he?”

“No sweetie, he knows you’re too young, just a child even. It’s just a bit of office ribbing is all. Anyway into the room with you.”

“Oh thank God. Because I feel self-conscious enough in this outfit,” she sighed, hurrying into the room.

“Ok, first order of buisness, put your hand on here.” Lightning pulled out a flat, square device and set it in front of Natali. The top, a faint greenish black, looked like it might be made of glass or some other hard, clear substance.

Natali stared at the device for a second or two before slowly reaching her hand out. She hadn’t noticed before how perfectly manicured her fingernails looked. At least they weren’t painted pink, but the bright aqua was just as bad. She lowered her small, delicate hand onto the device.

The machine lit up and began quietly humming, and a moment later a voice spoke in a crisp, matter of fact nature. “Name - Unknown, Family - Unknown, Age Eleven, Birth place - Unknown. Please input valid information.”

Natali jerked her hand back, staring in utter shocked silence at the machine, and then at Lightning. “What?! I’m not eleven! I’m fourteen! I’ll be fifteen in a few months!”

“The machine doesn’t lie sweetie. So, lets get your name entered. Machine, this girl’s name is now Natali Farron, daughter of Claire Farron. Age, 11, from New Bodhum, Father - deceased.”

Natali cringed at that last part as she folded her arms against the desk, resting her chin on them. “Mom said he died in a plane crash...” she trailed off. Lightning glanced down at her and frowned.

The machine lit up again and voiced, “Accepted. Please reinsert your hand for final verification, Natali Farron.”

“Fine,” she sighed, slapping her hand down onto the scanner again.

The machine made a few more of the noises it made earlier, then spoke again, “Name, Natali Farron, daughter of Lightning, no Father, age, 11, home New Bodhum. Database reconstruction complete.”

“I guess if I’m gonna be stuck here awhile, at least I’ve got a cool Mom now,” she giggled a little, trying to lift her spirits. “Ever since Dad left, my real Mom stays drunk more often than not.”

“Well you don’t need that, but now you have a mom that’s hardly ever around, and an Aunt that will spoil the hell out of you?” Lightning laughed a bit. “Oh and we really do need to work on your language. No daughter of mine will talk like a Member of NORA. It’s bad enough Serah does.”

Natali stuck out her tongue, but smiled a little. “Fuck, I have to get used to this body.”

Lightning frowned when Natali swore again, “Please atleast try to refrain from swearing in the office?”

“Sorry,” she apologized quickly, a rather stark contrast to her initial attitude.

“It’s fine. Let’s go get you fed. You said you were hungry? Also lets get you a proper outfit. You can’t be wearing those and be my kid.” Lightning winked.

“For once, I agree. I don’t know who the he--” she caught herself, clearing her throat. “I don’t know who picked this out for me, but I feel like I’m not wearing anything! An hour ago I was sitting in my bedroom in my shredded jeans and a nice, baggy sweatshirt. Power went out when I loaded up my new copy of Final Fantasy XIII-2, I laid down to take a nap, and woke up here.” She paused, shaking her head as she looked down at herself then adding as an afterthought, “Oh, and I was a dude.”

“You do not look much of a guy sweetie, and well, The dress is cute, but its a bit big on you and those shoes I found you in where a size or two to big as well, Lets get you something comfortable, its a long trip down to New Bodhum, and your going to need a new wardrobe anyway.

“That’s what I’m afraid of. I’ve seen the local fashions. Yuffie had a cute outfit in FF7, but this new stuff is... Well it’s cute, but it’s weird.” She outright lied. She adored the girls’ fashions in the various Final Fantasy universes. She just never thought she’d actually get to wear anything so unusual - or girly.

“Who is Yuffie? And what is this FF stuff your talking about?” Lightning looks down at her, confused.

Natalie sighed, then shook her head. “Okay, so here’s the deal. Where I’m from, you, Serah, NORA members, even that surly guard dude outside? You’re all video game characters. This whole world is a video game.”

“Sweetie, This is real, I pinched you remember and you felt it, it’s not a dream, nor a nightmare, you live here now.” She tried not to sound upset, but her serious tone had definitely returned. “If there’s a way to send you back then someday we will find it, but for now forget about that other world and enjoy this one.”

Natali sighed again, but hesitantly latched onto Lightning and buried her face in the woman’s midsection. “Maybe you’re right. It’s not like I have anything to go back to. This is what I always wanted. Just... not exactly how I wanted it. I used to fantasize about marrying Serah,” she added, blushing. “Don’t tell her I said that. It’s gonna be weird enough as it is.

“Part of me really wants to know how I got here, why I got that special golden box with the blank DVD, but... But you’re right. I should try and enjoy what I’ve got. As long as I don’t have to wear something skimpy like Serah,” she concluded, laughing quietly.

Lightning laughed slightly, but not at the girl’s expense. “Serah would take honor of that, but you know she’s married to Snow?” she smiled.

Natali shook her head. “I knew you’d given your permission, but I didn’t know they actually went through with it. He’s lucky,” Natali sighed whimsically as she smiled.

“Oh yeah. After Serah died giving her vision, and I used the goddess powers to revive her, a year later they where married.”

“Yet another reason not to mention my crush. I mean, besides me apparently being an eleven year old girl now. I swear whoever brought me here had a sick sense of humor.” She paused again to stare back at Lightning. “You said I looked a little like you and Serah? I haven’t seen myself yet.”

“Yes, the guard really did mistake you for my daughter sweetie. Well, our daughter,” Lightning chuckled, but it almost came out as a giggle.

Natali slowly raised her hands to touch her cheeks. Her skin definitely felt softer, her features more feminine than she remembered. She pushed at her hair, letting it feather back onto her shoulders again. “I’m Lighting’s daughter. Holy sh- Um... Wow.”

“That’s what the identification device says” Lightning grinned. “Anyway, would you like to hold my sword?” she unsheathed the gunblade.

“Oh my God,” Natali nearly squealed. It wasn’t as though she were trying to act like the biggest fangirl on her new planet - at least not anymore, but somehow her normal reactions were being translated by her new body, as if it were perfectly natural for her to squeal and laugh like an eleven year old girl. She didn’t seem to mind though, when she wasn’t focusing on it.

She slowly reached out to touch the weapon, as if it might explode if she weren’t careful.

“It’s ok. You’re my child now. You’re allowed to touch it when I say you can. It won’t hurt you.” Lightning handed the hilt of the blade to her. “It’s a might heavy, but not too bad. Even you should be able to lift it.” Smiling still, she added, “I’ll let you use it in the practice hall, while I call Snow and Serah to let them know about your arrangements.”

“Wow. I’ve wanted to hold one of these for a long time. I almost won a replica on eBay, but I had to let the other guy win because it was that or steal some money from my Mom.” She paused and frowned. “Wow. I do sound like a thug when I put it like that.”

“More of that talk from your world huh? Ebay now.. whatever that is. You won’t have to steal from us to get what you want though. I’m a commander, and make good wages, your Aunt is a teacher now, and, well...” Again she half-chuckled, half-giggled. “There’s still someone else for you to meet, but she’ll be along soon enough.”

Natali smiled up at Lightning as she accepted the blade, balancing it in both hands along with the knife she was already carrying. She carefully removed one hand, holding the weapon aloft.

“Marrik, take the lil one out to the training hall so she can learn to use her mother’s sword. I’ll be in there in a few to collect her for the trip. I have to make a call.”

Merrik nodded, “Yes Ma`am, right this way please.” Merrik smiled. “So tell me, is she hard at home or is it just an act?” he asked, not really knowing that the girl was just adopted. She did look so like her mother.

Natali giggled as she propped the heavy blade on her shoulder to keep from dragging it along the ground. “She’s … Strict but fair. She just hates that I keep picking up habits from aunt Serah and Snow.” She lied, but built it on what was already said, hoping it would be convincing.

“Ah Commander Snow from NORA, the protectors of New Bodhum. He’s a nice fellow. Serah couldn’t have gone wrong in marrying him.” Merrik nodded. “How’s it having him as an Uncle? He’s changed since the war.”

“I think he’s a little restless at times, but I think he likes the peace to the alternative,” she continued to weave her little lies.

“Well you should still be a bit worried when you go back down there. Still loose monsters around. New Bodhum is protected by NORA of course, but that doesn’t stop everything.” Merrik smiled as they entered the training hall. “Here you go”

Natali giggled, staring at the weapon. “God I don’t even know how to hold this thing right. I’ve seen her do it a thousand times, but it feels different than I thought it would.”

She carefully lay her new knife aside as she fidgeted and fiddled, trying to find a comfortable position to wield the unique weapon, turning it this way and that.

Lightning stood back, watching the girl with her gunblade, making sure not to disturb her. She could see herself at that age, wanting to become a soldier. She smiled brightly. Finally things were working out the way the goddess had told her they would. She quietly thought to herself, ‘I think acquiring one of those for her was a good idea. She’s just like me at that age; I can hardly believe she’s really mine.’

Sizing up one of the targets, Natali leveled the blade, preparing to squeeze off a round. She hesitated, realigning her shot. “Hey, Merrik was it?” she called over her shoulder without really glancing back. “Is this right?”

A woman with longish red hair, dressed in strange clothing, walked up next to Lightning and smiled as she rested her head on her shoulder. “So that’s our new daughter then?” she asked in what sounded like a British or Australian accent.

Merrik smiled at Natali, “You’re close. Hold it like this,” he instructed, showing her the proper way to hold a gunblade..

“Oh, that feels more natural,” Natali admitted, squeezing off one round and nearly dropping the weapon in the process. She started to laugh. “Jeeze!”

Vanille walked into the training Hall and pulled out her bow to use on the targets setup there. “Hello there Natali. Lightning tells me that you’re here to stay for a bit?” in her Australian like accent.

Natali looks up, a bit startled. “Oh, um, yeah, I guess,” she answered shyly.

“It’s ok. Hey Merrik, Lightning needs you to do some errands before we leave for New Bodhum yes? I’ll take care of our daughter from here ok?” She smiled sweetly as Merrik nodded, taking his cue to leave the two alone.

“So Natali, do you think you can handle having two mums that are military?” Vanille laughed a little, “Well one that’s a commander, and one that’s not really part of the army, I just lend my bow now and again.”

Natali just stared in silence up at Vanille, not really disdain or fear, but quiet awe, not unlike her first encounter with Lightning. Eventually she found her voice though.

“I... I... Wow.” Verbose, that one was. “This isn’t a dream. This isn’t a dream,” she whispered to herself.

Vanille, being the silly person she was did exactly what Lightning did and gave Natali a smart pinch. “No dream, see?” She giggled.

“YEEEOUCH! Would you people stop DOING that!” she groussed, but then giggled. “I guess I had it coming though.”

“Hey now you should not yell at your mother. Very bad manners for such a young lady.” Vanille smiled.

“It’s just... Well she told you right?” Natali asked.

“Lightning tells me everything sweet one, and we also talked with your Aunt, and both agreed you will be staying with her for a bit to get some learning ok?” Vanille smiled as she continued, “But Lightning has a gift for you before we leave for your temporary home.”

“As long as it’s not some itchy school uniform. I know aunt Sarah’s a teacher,” Natali whined.

“Oh no , no no no, nothing of the sort!” Vanille giggled. “No , you will love it, you will look so much more like her when you put it on.”

Natali wrinkled her nose. “If you say so, ‘Mom’,” she almost had to force the word, but once she did, she kind of half-giggled.

Vanille giggled as well. She wasn’t much older then Serah, but she knew she would love being this girl’s new mother, just as much as she loved being with Lightning. For some reason, awhile ago the two hung out and weirdly became an item and then got married.

“Oh! I know”, Vanille grinned and pulled something out of her pocket and put it around Natali’s neck. “Now you have a necklace like your mothers lion head.”

“Wow. I don’t know what to say,” Natali grinned. “Like I told Lightni-- I mean, Mom earlier, if I have to be stuck here, then she’s right, I should enjoy it. I mean it could be worse. If she hadn’t found me God knows what creep might have.”

Lightning came back to the training hall holding a bundle of clothes, part cloth and metal, and a smaller version of her gunblade. “Put these on.” She looked a bit serious when she gave the order.

Natali looked from Vanille to Lightning, a hint of fear in her expression as she quickly offered the woman her weapon back.

Vanille smiled leaning over to whisper in Natali’s ear, “You’re fine. She’s just acting. She wants to show the guards what you said, that she’s strict but fair.”

“Yes ma’am,” Natali answered sharply, suddenly regretting that little white lie as she accepted the strange bundle. She muttered, “Thank God, it’s not pink,” as she glanced around. “Uh, where can I change?”

“Didn’t Merrik show you where the woman’s changing rooms are?” Lightning frowned, “Private, why did you not show my daughter where the restrooms were?”

“He was showing me how to hold a gunblade, and then Momma Vanille asked him about some errands, Ma’am,” Natali quickly leaped to the poor guard’s rescue.

“No excuse, but I will forgo the usual punishment, since my daughter Natali has stuck up for you Merrik. Next time I wont be so easy.” Lightning smiles at Natali, “Anyway child, the woman’s changing rooms are over on the other side of the hall, behind the double wall.”

Natali quickly nodded. She smiled up at the two, swinging her free arm around Lightning’s waist, and then Vanille’s, before racing off toward the changing rooms. “Should’ve said she was totally relaxed and never strict. God that was like dealing with my own mother sober,” she mumbled, laughing to herself as she unfurled the main piece of the outfit to take stock of everything.

“Oh my God!” she gasped. “It’s just like Lightning’s! Girl or not, I don’t think I ever want to go home!” she excitedly announced to herself, not really bothering to check if she was alone in the changing room as she stripped.

After she squealed two female guards entered the changing room, “Oh hello; are you new to the guard?” one of them asked.

“Ack!” she squealed, startled by the two women. She tried not to stare as she grabbed her new uniform, holding it up to cover herself up. “Oh, hi there.”

“That’s Commander Lightning’s uniform, you must be her daughter then?” they both smiled at her.

The girl quickly nodded. “Yes, I’m Natali Farron.”

The brown haired girl, the quieter one smiled at the girl, “You must be proud of your mother, if you want to dress just like her. I envy you. I want to be just like her someday as well.”

Natali giggled as she pulled the uniform into place. The material felt as though it were made for her, and she had to wonder just how Lightning got such a perfectly tailored piece on such utterly short notice. “Yeah, it’s just such an honor to be here, and to finally hold a gunblade. I just hope I can live up to her legacy.”

The blonde smiled. “Big shoes to fill. Lightning is a war hero, took down the Fal'Cie and the Purge. Creating this new world.”

Natali wiggled her toes at the mention of big shoes, trying not to laugh at the inside joke that would’ve been if Lightning were there, as she pulled her heavy boots into place. “She calls herself an absentee mother, but don’t tell her I said that. The truth is, I don’t care if she’s gone a lot. She’s the only one who can do what she does. I get to see her often enough, plus I get to spend time with aunt Serah too.”

“I miss Serah. She and I grew up together in the old town of Bodhum,” the brown haired girl sighed.

“Oh, wow. Really?” Natali asked even as she finished pulling her gloves into place. “I’m going to see her soon. Do you want me to pass on a message?”

“Yup, I can’t wait for this excerise trip to New Bodhum, so we can visit some.” The two women both smiled, and then the blonde piped in.

“Me too, because I have a cousin down there.”

“Oh, you’re going too.” Natali giggled.

“We are both part of Lightnings unit, yes. We get to go down on leave as well, and then we do some training with NORA,” the blonde answered.

“Cool!” Natali practically bubbled. “I guess I’d better get back out there though. Don’t want to get you guys in trouble with your Commander.” She giggled.

“Oh it’s ok, I’m more worried about you. We are off duty now: just came in to shower and go home,” the brown haired girl smiled, “To pack for the trip anyway.”

“It’s not so bad, as long as I can remember to stop talking like one of the NORA guys.” She grinned innocently.

“Your Uncle Snow is a bad influence I take it?”, the blonde giggled. “Too bad he married Serah, I sure would have loved to pick up a hunk like him.”

Natali snickered quietly. She would’ve loved to look like a ‘hunk’ like him. Maybe then she wouldn’t have felt so... She quickly dismissed those thoughts. Now she could look like her hero, after all. “I do love his hair,” she admitted with a quiet laugh.

Vanille poked her head into the changing room. “Your mother asked me to check on you to see if you got lost in here,” and she giggled after saying that.

“Oh, um,” Natali smiled sheepishly. “Tell her my uniform got stuck, but that I fixed it? I’ll be right out. Promise.”

“Ok sweetie, but don’t take much longer, Lightning may have more patience than she used to but she wants to get a little practice with you in before we leave ok?”

Nodding, Natali turned back to the two with an innocent grin. “I won’t tell if you don’t, hey?” She giggled and turned to dash out of the room.

Shortly after Vanille brought a tray of food for their daughter, Lightning and Natali trained in the hall for several hours, Lightning teaching her the basics of how to hold the blade, and the basics on how to use it as a gun, and the mechanics of switching it quickly between the the two functions.

Looking down at her wrist device, she smiled. “Ok I think you have the basics sweetie. It’s time to shower then go back to our home, to get ready for the trip to New Bodhum.”

“Oh when you get into the house, please, make sure you take your boots off; your new room and everything in it should be ready when we get there.” Lightning grinned mischievously, a smile that nobody had really ever seen on her face before, least of all Natali.

Natali gave Lightning a sidelong stare. “That... That definitely wasn’t in the animation budget before,” she teased then laughed. “Thanks for doing all this, for taking me in. I know I seemed ungrateful at first because I was scared, but... I mean this is kind of what I always wanted - to get away from all the crap and just escape and live here.”

“You are here, sweetie, and you look too much like my family for it to be a coincidence. That’s why Merrik mistook you for my real daughter. The goddess already told me about you. I knew I’d find you in that alley way, and I knew you would run from me and get caught.” Lightning grinned.

“That’s why you were so patient when I tried to run, and why you took me in... Now it all makes sense.”

“Yes I knew most of it, but not everything. I was just told that Vanille and I would have a child, and I would find her behind those crates in the city here, and that you would be scared and try to run.” Lightning explained. “You’re supposed to be here, Natali. That much I’m sure of. You belong here, and in that body, you are my and Vanille’s daughter.”

Vanille giggled. “She’s right kiddo. You do look a fair bit like Light, but you’ve got my eyes!”

“You know, I thought it would matter to me, getting stuck with a girl’s body, and at first it did, but now I’m not so sure.”

“I think somewhere when the goddess brought you here, from your world, you secretly wanted to be a girl?” Lightning asked in a gentler tone than she’d used previously. “Otherwise you wouldn’t be one.” Lightning pulled Natali into a hug, causing the girl to giggle as she wrapped her arms around her new mother.

“Maybe? I mean... With Dad gone and Mom drunk all the time I repressed a lot of things,” she whispered, and then started to sob quietly as the flood of emotions finally broke through.

Vanille came up on the other side of Natali and put her arm around both girls, “Hey no crying, we did enough of that during the wars ok?” she giggled, “Well I know I did after Sazh got his boy back anyway.”

Natali turned back to Vanille and leaned up to kiss her cheek before wrapping an arm around her. “You guys have to get me caught up on what I missed. I don’t think spoiler warnings exactly apply anymore,” she laughed quietly, resting her head against Lightning, but clinging to both women as though if she were to let go, it might all disappear.

Meanwhile back on Earth

“Oh my God, officer, where is my boy!?” Nathen’s mother sobbed almost incoherently, the strong scent of cheap wine on her breath.

The burly man tried to reconcile the middle-aged woman. “Ma’am, we’re going to do everything we can to find your son. Usually runaways stick to familiar paths. Did he have any friends he could stay with, or any hangouts where he might be able to hide out after hours?”

Nathen’s mother was in hysterics, tears streaking down her face as she tried to think. “No Nathen didn’t have any friends I know of, and, well, he was kind of always playing video games officer I don’t know.”

A female officer, with straight brown hair pulled into a tight bun stepped into the room holding a hand-written letter. “Sir. I found this under the bed. It looks like he ran away to look for his father.”

Nathen’s mother sobbed even more. “Travis is dead! He died a few years back. He … he worked for a video game company, and on his way home from some convention or other, his plane crashed.”

The male officer frowned as he looked over the letter. “Well, according to this the boy thought his father never died.”

Nathen’s mother spun about and stormed to her bedroom, pulling open a drawer, and grabbing out several papers about her husbands death including his death certificate, which she shoved out for the police to examine. “He did die, and this is proof!” The woman was in hysterics again.

“If he’s smart,” the woman finally interjected, seeing her superior only making the situation worse, “then he’d probably go straight to a local library to look for records. I’ll personally head for the nearest one myself, and we’ll start putting out APBs. Do you have a photo of the boy ma’am?”

“Yes I do.” The woman grabbed the latest school photo of her son off the wall in the hallway and handed to the officer.

Back on Cocoon

“So how do you like your room?” Vanille asked from the door, as Natali explored her large room in their Palumpolum home. “It won’t be this large at your Aunt Serah’s home, but you can take some stuff with you if you want. You should bring some clothes at least.”

“THIS is my bedroom?” Natali gasped. “It’s... It’s huge!”

Vanille giggled softly, “If you’re uncomfortable with all these plushies we can remove some?”

Natali started to answer, but spotting the small, furry white moogle plush doll on the nearby dresser, she nearly squealed and raced over to pick it up. “Oh my God. I’ve always wanted a moogle, ever since Mog in Final Fantasy 6! He was soooo cute. You probably have no clue what I’m talking about, since moogles change in every generation though,” she added with a half-frown. “But they’re always adorable and friendly.”

Vanille giggled and shook her head. “I’ve met some moogles in my time sweetie. I’ll leave you to pack your stuff; just don’t take long. Lightning will get upset.”

“Okay. I just need a minute to kind of soak all this in since I won’t see it for awhile. My old bedroom was a cracker box compared to this.” She giggled as she hugged the stuffed moogle to her chest. “You’re definitely coming with me. I think I’ll call you Kupo.” She giggled again, setting it aside as she started opening drawers in her dresser and vanity to take stock.

“God, I don’t even know what to bring.”

Lightning stood in the open doorway and smirked. “Knowing my sister, you’d better bring a lot of those skirts, and tops, otherwise she’s going to take you on a very long shopping trip.”

“I thought everyone did their shopping online now?” she asked glancing back at Lightning.

“After the fall, we went back to the old fashion shops. It seemed more personal that way, and I tend to agree.” Lightning smiled.

“Wow. Things really have changed,” she admitted, throwing open her closet doors to look for a suitcase. Suddenly she reemerged again. “Oh my God, I just realized something. Do I get to see a real chocobo at some point?”

“If you want sweetie, and beg your other mother really hard, I’m sure she will buy you a baby chick,” Lightning laughed as she walked out of the room.

Natali cheered excitedly as she grabbed her suitcase and threw it open. The fashions of this world were certainly bizarre compared to what she was used to. Sometimes it seemed like clothing designers arbitrarily attached bits of different pattern or material, but the overall effect only served to remind her that this was, on so many levels, her fantasy come to life. She had no real fashion sense, either on Earth or here, so just grabbed what she thought would look cute on a video game character, until she could squeeze no more into her suitcase.

“Guess I should pack some shoes too,” she mused and began to unpack a few things to make room. “God this is so cool!” she bubbled at random from time to time as she rifled through her new things, eventually picking up the overstuffed suitcase and dragging it along, lifting it as best she could to not scuff up any floors.

“So everyone’s ready? The transport will be here in a few minutes to pick us up and take us to the Elevator so we can go down,” Lightning said in her official tone.

“Yeah. I had to take out a couple of pairs of socks to make room for Kupo, but I got everything to fit,” Natali answered cheerfully, for once without so much as a hint of the rebellious girl that had arrived here earlier.

“Thats a cute name for a moogle.” Vanille smiled, “I’m sure Kupo will enjoy a trip down to New Bodhum.”

Natali giggled. “Hey, if I’m going to be an eleven year old girl, I might as well milk it while I can, right?” she tried to act like she was joking, but she meant it. She absolutely adored having a stuffed animal collection, and more, a stuffed moogle to cuddle. “It’s not so bad though. I mean at least I didn’t get dropped in here as some fifteen year old piece of a--” She stopped herself. “Ahm... A...ttractiveness with boys all lining up to say hi to her.” She smiled, satisfied with her avoidance of cursing.

Lightning got all serious again. “I’ll kill any boy who touches my precious gift from the goddess,” clearing her throat, “You’re the one piece I have at normality sweetheart, to have an extended family other than my sister, which is now in the hands of that Snow!”

Natali frowned and leaned into Lightning. “What about Vanille? I mean, not that I’m complaining,” she corrected herself and grinned. “I think I’m going to like it here.”

“We love each other, but we are both women and can’t have children together, to pass on our legacy.”

“Oh.” She frowned at her own social misstep, biting her lip. “Sorry. I didn’t mean...” She trailed off and shook her head.

“No you’re fine,” Vanille replied and grinned. “Hey no frowning. You don’t want frown lines do you?”

Natali smiled a little. “I wonder if I’ll ever date. In my old life I didn’t even have friends, let alone someone ‘special’.”

Lightning sighed and walked off for a moment, and Vanille smiled as she shook her head. “Not for a long time. Your mother Lightning will be a bit overbearing to any boy or girl you bring home.”

Natali giggled. “I think I’d prefer that to being too drunk to give a damn if I even exist. Um, hey, Vanille?” she asked more softly.

“Yes sweetie?” Vanille smiled at her new young daughter.

“Would it be weird if I … if I stopped talking about the world I came from? I really just want to forget about it for awhile. It just hurts too much.”

“Nobody would think twice if you did sweetie. I think it bothers Lightning a bit when you do. She was so excited when she told me about you, and when you talk about your home, it kind of depresses her a little. She thinks you want to leave her and go back.”

Vanille walked up to Natali and hugged her close. Natali wrinkled her nose at the thought, even as she embraced Vanille.

“I don’t really think I do. It’s going to take some getting used to, but I’ve got nothing to go back to. No friends, no real family. This world was where I escaped to, to forget “reality” for awhile. And now that I’m here all I talk about is going back.” She sighed whimsically. “It’s so perfect here though. I really don’t ever want to leave.”

“It’s not that perfect here, love. Down on the surface world, there are a lot of monsters roaming around. It’s not safe unless you’re in the cities.”

“But fighting monsters is fun,” Natali exclaimed, before really thinking about the implications of that comment.

Vanille just giggled. “Just like your other mother! What am I going to do with you two?” She turned around to go talk to Lightning for a moment, and Natali giggled to herself. Part of her really wanted to follow. She almost did, twice, but resolved to give “the grown-ups” a few seconds alone.

She turned away, staring at her hands. “Yuck. This nail polish has to go. Maybe aunt Serah can help me pick out a less... flashy color.”

Lightning looked over at her daughter and smiled hearing her ask herself a question. “Not unless you like pink sweetie; transports here. The PSICOM and the Guardian Corps Soldiers are here loading our stuff.

Natali reached out to take Lightning’s hand, pulling her down to hug her neck. She whispered, “I’m sorry Mom. I don’t want to leave you.”

Lightning ruffled her fingers through Natali’s hair, “You’re fine sweetie. Vanille told me what you said. I promise you that I will protect you, and won’t let anything bad happen to you ever ok?”

The girl nodded, fighting back tears. “It’s just still so new. Everything is so... sudden. Part of me feels like I don’t belong, but I know I do. I love it here.”

“No more talk of this other world of yours ok? You told your second mother that you would stop,” Lightning grinned.

She giggled and nodded. “I know. But I had to apologize first. You’re my hero. You’re everything I ever wished I could be but wasn’t, and now suddenly being here, being your daughter, it’s just overwhelming, but you deserved to know.”

“You will be expected to act like my daughter, and bring great pride to the name Farron ok sweetie?” Lightning instructed, but that grin never left her features..

“All I can do is try,” she answered honestly.

“Trying is how you accomplish your dreams.”

“So does everyone in NORA know that I only just arrived, or like, what’s the story we’re going to be giving them? Everyone here thinks I’ve been staying with Serah.”

“Well the story I told Serah and Snow is that Vanille and I decided it was time we had a child, so we went to the old Cloning facility to have our DNA’s mixed into a child for us. We also decided we didn’t have time to raise a baby, so we had you aged to the age of Eleven.”

“K.i.s.s. right?” Natali giggled, adding, “Keep it simple, stupid.” She grinned innocently at the pair. “Easy to remember, hard for me to slip up.”

Lightning grinned, “I’ll have to remember that one; mind if I use it with my troops?”

Natali blinked several times. “You’re serious? Yes, of course! I think I saw it in some old war mov--Uh, holo, or maybe a video game or something, but it’s good advice.”

“The story I told them could happen though. We wanted to make it really believable so people didn’t think you just appeared here from nowhere. Besides, like we’ve been telling you already-”

“I look just like you,” Natali answered, giggling as she leaned into Lightning, then looked up.

“So, I have just one other question before we go.” She paused to grin at Vanille, then turned back to Lightning. “Do I get to fight monsters too?”

“I’m sure we can setup something sweetie,” Lightning grinned, and thought to herself, ‘she is defiantly my daughter.’

“Awesome. So how long does it take for a chocobo to grow? I’ve only ever seen the fully grown ones.” She giggled.

“Close to a year, I think we can ask Sahz when we go to buy you one ok?” Vanille smiled as she continued, “It will be good to run into him again.”

Natali blinked a few times. “Well that was easy. Okay, what about moogles? Obviously they exist because you mentioned meeting them,” she added, nodding to Vanille. “But what’re they really like? Do they really eat nuts? And do they like to dance?”

Lightning just grinned, “You will have to wait and find out young lady, now get your rump moving. The transports waiting outside for us.”

“Oh!” she smiled sheepishly. “Sorry. I forgot for a second there,” she quickly added, racing outside, back inside to grab her boots, then out again.

Vanille and Lightning both giggled as they stepped outside and locked the door, getting into the transport. They looked at each other with love in their eyes.

“Shes going to be a handful you know, just like you Lightning.” Vanille grinned as they both stepped onto the transport so it could leave to the elevator.

Natali pretended not to hear the remark. After all, she knew she was Lightning and Vanille’s in both appearance and spirit. She could be free, be herself here. No school bullies to push her around, or popular girls to laugh at her expense. She was well-and-truly ‘home’ now. She just sort of grinned, watching her mothers as the transport took them to their destination.

Lightning turned to Natali as she wrapped her arm around Vanille’s waist, “I think we should start giving you an allowance don’t you think? You’re Eleven now, and you might need to have some Gil to buy things with.” Turning to Vanille she smiles, “How much do you think we should give our little Princess?”

“Princess...” Natali practically cackled, clearing her throat and trying to calm herself. She continued to quietly giggle.

Vanille giggled as well, “Well I think that Princess Natali Farron should get a decent allowance, since she comes from a rather well to do family. Hmmm how about 500 gil a month?”

“Fi-fi-five hundred...” she echoed, quickly doing some math in her head on the conversion rate, as closely as she could compare to Nathen’s world’s dollars. Even at a conservative estimate it still felt like a lot. After all, she didn’t have to worry about things like equipment upgrades or consumables, being in the world rather than observing it from the outside, through a video game interface.

“Oh I think she thinks that’s not enough! Well then hmm how about One Thousand a month, and thats as High as I will go,” Lightning grinned.

The poor girl’s jaw slackened. She vigorously shook her head. “I don’t even know what I’d do with five hundred!” she squeaked.

“Put it away. You may need it someday sweetie.” Vanille smiled. “Maybe you can go off and study at the Academy under Hope. That would be so nice to have a daughter who is well learned.”

“Oh, crap,” the girl groaned. “I didn’t even think about the mountain of homework I have to catch up with. I mean besides learning what’s different about history from what I remember.”

Lightning smiled, “You’ll have plenty of time. I think they are on their last two months of Summer holidays down there, and you’ll only have to do building learning for four months then we head home. At home you can learn from the holo’s.”

Natali giggled to herself. “And somehow the thought of Serah freaking Farron as a teacher, even if she’s not my teacher, just having her there, is just awesome. Oops, I mean, amazing.” She giggled.

Lightning laughed, “Serah freaking Farron-Villers sweetie she’s married now.”

“Serah freaking Farron-Villers,” Natali stuck her tongue out playfully and giggled.

“You can be excited now sweetie, just you are expected not to be when you meet her. Just act like you two have meet before, it’s supposed to be in the memories the cloning facility gave you for your age ok? Serah will pretend shes known you as well even though this is her first time, it’s how cloned family members are supposed to act with each other.” Lightning smiled as she explained ‘the rules’.

Natali giggled a little as she nodded. “Okay, but she’s still getting a hug like I haven’t seen her in awhile. God this is like, still so overwhelming. I’d say I can’t believe I’m not dreaming, but I’ve been pinched twice today. I don’t want to make it four.”

Vanille and Lightning both laughed, and then Vanille spoke, “Oh yeah, your allowance” , she reached down to her purse and pulled out a small device that resembled a debit card with an electronic readout, and handed it to Natali, “We had already decided what you were to get for an allowance. There is three months on there right now”

“Wow,” she whispered quietly. “You’re seriously trusting me. I mean, not like I plan on abusing that trust, but... Wow.”

“Why shouldn’t we trust you? You’re not a thief or hoodlum. The goddess wouldn’t have given you to us if you were.” Lightning grinned.

“Thief no, but three thousand gil... I could probably buy a car with that.” She paused to giggle. “Again not that I plan on it.”

Lightning laughed, “No not really, you will have to save a year’s allowance to buy a transport, and even then you will need me to instruct you have to use it; got that missy?”

Natali giggled. “Yes ma’am. I think I’d like to get a nice bike, when I’m a little older. I mean an eleven year old on her own motorcycle would just draw waay too much attention, even if I am your daughter.”

“Serah had her first hover board when she was six. Ask her about it when you see her.” Lightning laughed slightly.

Natali snickered. “I bet she got her first trip to an emergency room shortly after.”

“Close just ask her about Ms Kitty and her Hover board, I promise you your Aunt Serah will turn white really fast, especially if she asks you about your cooking skills being better then mine. Promise ok sweetie?” Lightning chuckled, with a hint of a mischievous grin..

Giggling, she nodded. “Sure thing. But um, I don’t know how to cook at all?”

“We can fix that later. If anything you can just tell her you got my cooking skills, after you ask her,” Lightning winked and Vanille giggled.

“Yay! I always sorta wanted to learn. I mean it’s kind of a self-sufficiency thing. I don’t mind letting people do things for me? But it’s nice to at least know how to do it myself too.”

Captain Joanes turned around and looked at everyone on the transport, “Ok Ladies and Worms, we are now at the Elevator. By the time we reach bottom it will be dawn. We all have 1 week of Leave then we meet at the new Guardian base for on Pulse training, got that?”

Everyone but Lightning and Vanille said “Aye”, Natali had to catch herself before she said it as well, since she wouldn’t be part of the military for a long time. She settled a little closer to the wall as she looked around at the others, envying them on some level.

“So when will I see you again after you.. um.. ‘deploy’?” she whispered, so as to not get herself into trouble with the apparent commanding officer of the transport.

“Vanille will be staying with you, Serah and Snow while I’m away. You will get to see me on the weekends however.” Lightning tried to smile. “There will be at least three weeks near the end where Vanille will be with us for training as well, and I might be able to get you in for some training as well sweetie. I am the commander after all.”

“Don’t look so sad Mom,” Natali finally spoke up, squeezing her hand. “The reason I took so long in the lockers getting ready before was because I was telling a couple of soldiers how proud I am of you, of what you’ve accomplished. You shouldn’t feel sad about leaving me. I’ll get to see you more than...” she paused and smiled, stopping herself from mentioning her past life. “More than enough.”

“Thanks sweetie, that means a lot, But I just got you in my life, and I only get to spend one week with you before I have to drop you off to the wolves. Remember though; do not act like those wolves! I don’t want to hear you swear at all anymore.” Lightning grinned.

“Yes ma’am,” she answered and smiled.

Vanille just grinned and then turned to wink at Natali as if saying I wont tell if you don’t, then turned to the Captain. “Dawn is when we arrive, you said? The bells will announce to New Bodhum we arrived right?”

“Yes Ma`am that’s right, It’s going to take awhile to descend, and the people of New Bodhum will get a warning we are coming so they can prepare a greeting for us.

“A greeting?” Natali whispered. “Oh this is so cool.”

“Yes, the people of the Pulse like to greet their guests. It’s been a tradition since the Elevator was built three years ago.”

Natali drew her feet together slightly and settled back, stifling a small yawn. “Sorry. I haven’t worked that hard in … well, ever. But it was fun.”

Everyone departed the Transport, and it was loaded onto the underside of the elevator as the soldiers plus Lightning, Vanille and Natali boarded the topside. “You can take a nap if you want,” Vanille smiled as they got into their private room.

“Thanks,” Natali answered softly. “Promise me one thing though,” she asked. The beginnings of fresh tears had already begun to glisten in her eyes. “Promise me you’ll be here when I wake up.”

“We don’t plan on going anywhere without you sweetie, One of us will be here at all times with you ok?” Vanille tried to reassure her..

Natali nodded quickly. “I’m more afraid that I’ll ‘leave’. I don’t want to go back. I want to forget that... nightmare ever existed.” She sighed, but hugged both women tightly.

Both Natali’s mothers hugged her and set up one of the benches as a bed for her to sleep on, when Lightning added, “Don’t worry too much. If the Goddess wanted you here sweetie, you aren’t going back to your world anytime soon.” She grinned, even though it pained her to say call that awful world Natali’s. She knew.

She had seen the life the poor girl led before in her visions, and ached for the burden of tortured memories she carried. In some ways, Natali had lived through her own wars. They weren’t the same, but she carried battle scars inside, just like her mother.

Natali smiled and nodded as she settled in. It had barely been a day, but already she’d gone from fear to disbelief to acceptance, to fear of being ripped away. She quietly chewed the material of her glove, trying to calm her mind before rolling over and shutting her eyes.

A few hours after Natali finally went to sleep Vanille got into the young girls suitcase and pulled out Kupo the plushie she named, and placed it next to Natali with a smile, “That’s where you belong, to watch over mine and Lightning’s precious li’l girl.”

Natali stirred, but only slightly, latching onto the stuffed moogle and squeezing it close to her chest, almost as though her body knew how much her fragile mind needed it. A smile slowly crept across the sleeping girl’s face.

Vanille giggled under her breath and leaned over to gently whisper into Natali’s ear, not loud enough to wake her, but to give her something to dream about, “Kupo.”

“Moogie likes Natali, Thank you Lightning and Vanille for giving Moogie to Natali,” a new, young female voice said outloud.

“Just remember she’s not used to the idea of you being her weapon yet,” Vanille advised, but giggled, “But judging by her reaction to the stuffed one I think she’ll absolutely adore you.”

“Moogie can’t wait to introduce herself to Natali, can Moogie do it tomarrow?” the young girl’s voice asked.

Vanille glanced casually at Lightning. “Well, you’re the responsible mother. What do you think?” she half-teased, grinning.

“Well I don’t see a problem. You and Mog, Serah’s bow can both come out and talk to the young one. You know how much Serah loves Mog. I’m sure it will be the same for you Moogie. Natali will love you just as much.” Lightning smiled.

Vanille slowly ran her fingers through Natali’s hair. “She’s so scared of losing us now. I can’t believe this is the same kid you told me tried to run away from you, even knowing who you were.”

“I know it’s like she took a total one eighty on us,” Lightning chuckled as she smiled down at her. “I think she will be fine once she’s settled in sweetie. It’s been rough on her. She doesn’t want to go back to her mother, and from the vision the goddess gave me of her life, I don’t blame her.” Lightning nodded.

Vanille stood to sit beside Lightning, pulling her into a hug. “I know one thing. She meant what she said about you, about us, and about wanting to forget. She’s not ready to say the words, but I do believe with all my heart that she loves you, Claire.”

The young gunblade moogle floated over to Natali, “Moogie thinks she looks like her mommies, Moogie will protect her ok?”

Lightning smiled at both of them, first to Vanille, “I know she will say it eventually, and Moogie, thank you for looking after Vanille and my daughter. It’s a great task to become a moogle weapon, and I know that is the only way a moogle can be born here, but thank you sweetie.”

“She does have some interesting notions about moogles, doesn’t she?” Vanille giggled.

“She’s going to be shocked when she meets Mog and Moogie isn’t she?” Lightning laughed to herself as Natali stirred. The young gunblade moogle turned back into the weapon, returning to her side..

Natali practically sat bolt-upright, looking around frantically. After a moment or two she carefully lay back down again, rolling onto her side as she caught her breath. “Thank God. Or... Goddess,” she managed.

Vanille smiled, “We are still here sweetie. We are almost at the bottom. I was going to wake you up soon so you could look out and see Pulse for yourself.”

“Pulse,” Natali echoed, scurrying to sit up again and rolling her feet off onto the floor, while clinging tightly to her stuffed companion. “From what I remember the place is supposed to be savage - or it used to be. I know you guys mentioned monsters and stuff. Is it still that bad?”

“Yeah, but the cities are safe.” Lightning smiled reassuringly.

Natali carefully picked up her gunblade and held it alongside her stuffed moogle. “I still feel safer with this thing close by.”

“Have you thought of a name for your blade yet?” Lightning asked out of the blue.

Natali stared at the weapon, then glanced up again. “A name? You mean like, Old Reliable or Lulubelle or something?”

“Close; my blade’s name is Blazefire,” Lightning smiles.

“Oh that’s right,” Natali answered with a lilt of a giggle. “Hm. Well it totally has to live up to Blazefire for one thing. Oh um, how does upgrading work? Like will I be able to increase its size when I’m older and stronger, or will I have to eventually replace it?”

“That’s a very special gunblade Princess. For one, it will never need upgrading. As you progress in your training your blade will become stronger with you, and as you grow older your blade will grow to full size.” Lightning smiled, “Oh and its a girl gunblade, not a boy like mine.”

“Oh, wow. Well hum.” She paused, giving Lightning a strange look. “How do you tell? LIke, is the firing mechanism pink instead of blue?” she giggled.

“It’s just something I know, You can’t tell by looking at them, but it’s just something I can feel about a gunblade.” Lightning smiled.

“If it were anybody else saying that I’d think they were crazy, but you and Vanille, and maybe aunt Serah, I have no problem believing that,” she answered quite seriously. “Well a special weapon deserves a special name. I don’t want to go through life regretting that I named my gunblade something silly like ‘Firedance’,” she giggled, but paused. “Actually that’s not half bad, and it kind of rolls with the whole second-coming of Lightning theme. Well, I hope I am anyway,” she added, giggling more.

“Your aunt’s bow is called Odinbolt, and my gunblade’s Blazefire, and now your blade will be known as Firedance.” Lightning grinned.

“What about you?” she asked, glancing at Vanille. “Any special named weapons I’m not remembering?” she giggled.

“Oh its called Heavenly Axis..” Vanille smiled, “Its a Rod Bow; nothing too special”

“Firedance,” Natali smiled as she gave the weapon a little flourish, careful of the weight and direction then sheathed it..

Lightning smiled, “I slipped a cleaning kit into your suitcase. If you’re going to be wielding her, I think you should also take pride in her cleanliness. A clean blade is a happy blade.”

“Not to mention it sort of says something about a person if they don’t take care of such a special piece of equipment,” Natali added. “I mean anybody can swing a sword around, but a self-upgrading weapon’s a whole different matter.”

“Exactly. I hope you take the same pride in keeping your room clean as you do your blade then, young lady.” Lightning winked.

Natali groaned, laughing. “God I walked right into that.”

Vanille giggled. “Your mother Lightning is a clean freak. She may not be able to cook,” glancing over at Lightning, “But she takes pride in a clean house.”

“Well its a trade off. Your mother Vanille is a good cook but a slob around the house,” Lightning chuckled a little.

“So where does that leave Serah? Good cook, lousy housekeeper too?” she asked, trying to keep a straight face.

“Pretty much,” Both Lightning and Vanille answered at the same time, “That’s why she lives with NORA”, Lightning added in.

“Oh, I get it. Make someone else do the cleaning while she repays them with delicious home-cooked treats?”

“The guys yeah,” Lightning answered.

“I guess I should be careful about how I say things like that around them though,” Natali admitted, a little guarded. “I wouldn’t want to offend anyone by accident. A lot of them are kind of my heroes. Not as much as you though.”

“Oh I’m sure they will figure you quickly for awhile, they will chock it up to my DNA or something”, Lighting laughed.

“Still, I’ll try and be careful. Lightning’s daughter should know better than to just toss around insults,” she puffed out her chest and giggled, quickly adding, “I’m kidding! But I promise to try and be careful though.”

“That’s all we ask sweetie, but be yourself too. Even a clone is a unique person of their own ok? You don’t have to pretend to be either one of us.”

The elevator bings, “Welcome to Gran Pulse, please exit calmly and in a timely fashion your lugguage will be waiting for you at the lobby office outside, and thank you for visiting Gran Pulse.”

Natali hugged her stuffed moogle close to her as she rushed to the door, pausing to wait for her mothers, but excited to see Pulse firsthand.

The two older women follow behind Natali closely, Lightning straightens Blazefire and when she gets behind her daughter, she fixes the position of the military knife in the belt strap on her new outfit, “There we go, while you where sleeping the knife moved, that’s much better”

“Oh, thanks. I keep forgetting it’s there. Hopefully I’ll never have to use it, but I feel safer having it, like my gunblade.” She smiled up at Lightning then stepped off to the side, hoping to hide behind her as they departed.

“Your knife is last defense, “Lightning smiled as they exited the room, “And its more for survivle in the wild, in case you need to skin something to cook the meat.”

“Ewww.” She wrinkled her nose.

Lightning looked over at Vanille, “And she said she was a boy back home?” and they both laughed.

Natali stuck out her tongue. “I was more the lazy do-nothing play video games all day type, not the big man pound innocent animals into hamburger with bare fists type.” She nodded defiantly, but cracked a smile.

“Oh ok I belive you”, Lightning grinned, “Anyway, to Survive alone, you might have to do that, I’m not saying you will ever have to, but you may someday sweetie, when you get older.”

“Can’t I just call in a delivery?”

“Call in a delivery?” Lightning and Vanille both looked puzzled.

“You’ve... never heard of takeout?”

“Nope sorry I have not, have you Vanille?” Lightning asked and Vanille shook her head no.

“You’re messing with me right?” Natali asked, more nervously.

“Nope there is no such think here, that I know of.” Lightning looked Serious.

“It’s like... well, it’s when a restaurant makes the food and then … you know, delivers it.” Natali shook her head.

“Nope don’t have that here, but we do have restaurants, and I’m sure tomorrow after your Aunt spoils you on her home cooked food, we might take her and Snow out to the one in New Bodhum”,

“Now I wish I had learned how to cook. I might die without pizza,” she moaned dramatically, resting the back of her hand against her forehead for extra effect.

We have pizza here.” Vanille grinned.

“Oh thank God,” Natali clapped her hands together excitedly, nearly dropping Kupo.

The three exited the main doors and headed over to the luggage rack to gather their stuff. Two big men, one Natali knew from the game as Snow and the other Gadot were holding Lightning, Vanille’s and Natali’s luggage.

Natali gasped to herself, ducking behind Vanille. “Oh my God. I didn’t expect someone so tall.”

“What did you expect sweetie? You’re just a young girl. ‘Course the men will tower over you.” Vanille smiled, then looked over at the two men. “Thanks for taking our stuff Snow, Gadot.” she nodded to them and so did Lightning.

“Hey Vanille can you take Natali over to Serah’s for a bit? I have something I need to do in town; I’ll meet back up with you two there ok?” Lightning smiled.

Natali quietly clung to Vanille’s arm with one hand. It felt like every time she met someone knew, her fight or flight instincts kicked in, sending her scurrying for safety. “God this is so embarrassing,” she mumbled. “I wonder if Momma Lightning was ever this pathetic,” she whined.

Serah looked over from behind Gadot with a reassuring smile, “Oh I believe she was. We are only three years apart, but I remember when Claire was Seven years old she would always hide behind daddy’s legs whenever someone new came along.”

Natali glanced at Lightning, trying not to giggle. “Wow. Weirdly that makes me feel better.” She smiled a little as she hesitantly approached Serah to hug her, as Lightning had instructed earlier.

“So Natali sweetie, it’s good to see you after so long,” Serah announced. She believed Lightning’s story and knew how to treat a clone child, to make it feel like it was part of the family all the time, giving Natali a big hug.

“It’s good to see you again aunt Serah,” Natali whispered as she hugged her tightly, adding, “I bumped into one of your childhood friends yesterday. I didn’t get her name, but I know she’s looking forward to catching up soon.”

“Oh great! I can’t wait! I love guests, and you’re going to have so much fun. There are two new kids that live in the NORA house with us now, since we started growing.” Serah smiled.

Natali giggled, taking a moment to really push the clone story at Lightning’s expense. “I’m looking forward to it too. Mom says that after you...” she paused, as if trying to remember, “spoil the hell out of me, that you might teach me to cook.” She grinned, equal parts innocence and mischief.

“Oh yes! I hope you’re a better cook then Lightning. She could burn water you know.” Serah giggled.

Natali giggled. “Oh, there’s something else I want to ask you about later. Something about Ms. Kitty and a hover board?” She shrugged gently.

Serah turned white at the mention of the Hover bored and Ms. Kitty, politely clearing her throat. “Let’s not talk about that ok sweetie?”

Natali, fighting withe very ounce of strength to keep an innocent smile on her face, nodded.

“So let’s get over to the NORA house, get you ladies settled in and introduced ok?” Snow smiled at Vanille and Natali.

Natali for her part just smiled sweetly, not entirely sure how a clone was supposed to behave, and after a moment or two finally just stopped trying, instead glancing around and taking in the sights around her, as she stayed close to Vanille.

Not far from the lobby, they reached the NORA house. As they entered there were a few people in the main room, and what looked like a bunch of other guys inside a smaller room off to one side moving furniture around. Two young girls stood next to a lovely looking lady with blue hair. The two girls both had light blue hair as well, and were wearing dresses. Both of them looked a little older then Natali but not by much.

Natali smiled quietly as she looked around. She’d had about as much luck when she was Nathen with meeting others her age as a pit viper would have, so resolved to just stay put for now and see what happened next.

The two girls approached, and Vanille smiled as she moved out of the way. “Hey you look like Lightning dressed like that!” one of the girls asked, and the other asked, “Is that a real gunblade or a toy?” and at the same time they both ask, “How old are you anyway?”

Natali giggled a little. “The outfit was a gift from Mom, as was the gunblade. She taught me how to use it, and yeah, it’s definitely real. Her name’s Firedance,” she answered proudly.

Serah and Vanille smiled at Natali as she talked to the two girls, then went back to talking to the other adults as the two girls surrounded Natali.

“So how old are you? You kind of look about our age, I think?” said one of the girls.

“Oh, um, eleven,” she answered more sheepishly, still trying to wrap her young brain around that concept herself. “I feel older sometimes, but I still sleep with stuffed animals so... whatever, you know?” she giggled nervously.

“So it’s true your mom is Lightning then?” the both ask at the same time, “And can we see your plushie?!”

“Oh, sure,” she answered, offering it. “I called it ‘Kupo’ because … well, nothing else seemed to fit. And yeah, Lightning’s my mom. She...” She paused to catch herself, forcing a giggle for appearances’ sakes. “She trained me and everything.”

“Oh God that is soo cool that your mother is Lightning, and this Moogle is soo adorable! Mindy has one too, and I have a Rabbit. Is your Moogle a boy or a girl?” the one thats not Mindy asked.

“I wondered about that. Mom says that gunblades are like that, boy or girl, that she can just tell. I’m not sure about Kupo though,” she giggled.

“You can give it a gender, if you want, I’m sure either one and your Moogle wont mind. It will still love you” The girl named Mindy replied, “My moogle is a boy and his name is Krupa.”

“Krupa,” Natali echoed, slowly grinning. “That’s a great name. I love it.”

“Oh I’m Alexa and that’s Mindy, we are twins but not totally identical, close though, and we are Twelve almost Thirteen years.”

“I’m Natali,” Natali answered. “It’s really nice to meet you.”

“The other girls in town are a lot older, so we don’t have to many friends here, but they are nice for older girls.” Mindy smiled

Natali frowned. She knew exactly how that felt, not having many friends. “Wow, I’m sorry. Well, um, I really don’t know anyone here, so I guess I could be your friend if you wanted,” she replied nervously.

Both girls grinned, “Your room is next to ours, we have to share, but you get your own because you’re Lightning’s daughter, and Serah’s Niece. God I envy you,” Alexa said with a smile.

Natali blushed, shaking her head. “They really didn’t have to do all that for me.”

“They were going to put you in our room with us, but there is no room with all of our stuff in there, Sorry” Both girls said to Natali.

She giggled, shaking her head. “It’s okay. You guys can store anything you want in mine. It’s not like I really need more than a bed, maybe a dresser.”

A woman Natali recognized as Lebreau came over, “Well hello there Kupo! I hope my nieces aren’t giving you to much trouble”, she grinned cheerfully.

Natali squeaked, a bit surprised, but shook her head. “No way! They’re great!”

“You two keep out of trouble. She just got here today, and if you guys go outside stay inside the city gates. Do not go outside ok?”

Both girls answered at the same exact time, “Yes Auntie Lebreau!”

“Your aunt is LeBreau?” Natali gasped quietly. “Er, I mean, I’ve seen some holos of her in action. She’s no slouch either.”

“Yeah Auntie is New Bodhum’s military, under Uncle Snow’s command. He’s not really our Uncle but he likes us to call him that.” Alexa smiled as she explained..

Natali giggled at that, a slow grin crossing her lips. “I guess that makes us cousins?”

“In a way I guess,” Mindy smiled. “So, you want to go out to the beach and find some shells for my collection?”

Natali’s eyes lit up. “Oh, I’d love to,” while in the back of her mind trying to remember the last time she even saw a beach. It had to have been years.

The Two girls led Natali outside and down the sandy way to the ocean. It was mostly beach everywhere, but with a lot of buildings all around the area however, all nicely constructed except a few beach houses along the shore.

“I wonder if I should’ve changed,” Natali mused idly as they walked along. “I mean this stuff is okay for being up on the transport with all the soldiers around, but I feel kind of conspicuous out here.”

“Hey it will keep Tommy and his two bully boys away from us, if you look like your mom that is,” Mindy bubbled.

“I guess wherever you go there are meatheads who feel the need to put somebody else down to make themselves feel better,” she mused.

“What’s bad is Tommy only seems to pick on us girls. He usually leaves the other boys alone.” Alexa added.

“He’s totally jealous,” Natali started to giggle.

Both the other girls giggled as well, “Tommy wants to be a girl!” Alexa teased, then Mindy piped in, “So does Yuj, but we don’t make fun of her...”

Natali paused a moment. “Shi--I mean, oh. I forgot about Yuj.” She smiled at her two new friends. “I’m sorry. I think it’s great if a guy wants to be a girl, or vice versa. I just hate when it leads to them lashing out at others instead of just, you know, being honest.” She was speaking the truth, too. She probably lashed out more than she realized, as Nathen.

Both girls nodded, “Auntie says we need to respect others , in whatever they want to do, and Yuj is so nice to use, she even got us ice cream yesterday!”

“I can’t wait to meet her,” Natali giggled. “And if this Tommy kid gives you a hard time just let me know. I don’t know how much I can help, but it’s worth a try. I bet Tommy’s problem is that he just doesn’t know how to talk to girls though. Or he’s just an idiot. Either way.”

“We both like you Natali, so we will probably be hanging around you a lot more if that’s ok?” Alexa smiled, “And it’s not because your mom is Lightning. We both think you’re cool.”

Natali glanced between the two, blushing a little, then she did something she’d never done before with someone her own age, and leaned over to hug them both. “Thanks guys. You really know how to make someone feel welcome.”

“You know when we were told you would be here today, we expected some robot like thing, because Auntie said you were a clone, and we never met one before, but you’re nothing like that, and well even though you’re a year younger then us, you’re just so cool!” Alexa cheered as they reached the water.

Natali giggled to herself. “I kind of wanted to do something silly like ‘I am Lightning Phase Two - please enter directive’ or something, but I’m awful with meeting new people, so I totally backed out. Aunt Serah says I get it from Mom.”

The two girls giggled and then Mindy spoke, “Your mom was scared when she was little? Lightning’s not afraid of anything! She took on gods!”

“Just shows what you can do if you’re determined, I think. She went from being more timid than me to … well, you know.” She giggled, kicking off her boots and letting her feet dip into the sand.

The three girls wandered the beach looking at different shells, some very pretty, a lot of coral pinks, and some blues, all different sizes. They seemed to lose track of time as they got really close to the gate of town.

Natali reached down to pick up a medium sized piece of pink coral shell, when she heard a boy shriek from the other side of the gate. Without even thinking, she sprinted off toward the gate, at least having by now pulled her boots back on again. She reached for her knife at first, then remembered her gunblade, drawing it and shifting to ranged mode in one swift motion before she’s even passed through the city gate.

The two girls followed in pursuit. Both girls loving adventure, they were just like their Aunt, and even so much like Lightning’s group as they followed Natali across the gate. Alexa pulled out her small sword, and Mindy drew a small Rod Bow like Vanille’s but not so spectacular.

Not entirely sure what to expect, Natalie clutched her gunblade close to her. Her heart raced as she whispered, “Don’t let us be too late.”

“Hey Faggy boy, you need three sissy girls to help you fight one Meonekton? Your such a fag!” three boys jeer from a platform onto the gate area.

Natali glares at the three, starting to say something, but Alexa touched her arm. “Um Natali, I think you should worry about the Meonekton first before you jeer on the boys.” Alexa nodded to the monster fast approaching them as the scared boy runs past the three girls.

“It doesn’t look that tough,” she lied. She was as terrified as the boy that just ran past. This, after all, was no game. She set her stance though, leveling her weapon. “Okay you big ugly... whatever you are.. You want to dance? Meet Firedance!”

“Hey Sissy girls, if you kill that thing I’ll leave you three alone for a week!” the older boy yelled.

Natali tilted her head slightly. “Ignore him. He’s too much a coward to get in the fight,” she growled, squeezing off the first round at the monster as much to get its attention as to try and kill it. The bug-like creature let out an almost unearthly screech as it stopped dead in its tracks, literally, and collapsed.

Natali stared in utter silence, cautiously approaching. “I-is it... Did I kill it?”

The two girls raced up to Natali, “OH MY GOD! Did you just see that shot you just did?! You took this thing out with one shot! Oh wow! I can’t believe we’re part of a team with a sharpshooter like her mom!”

Natali carefully reverted her gunblade to its compact form and slid it into its sheath as Alexa examined the bug, “Hey there’s something on it.” She pulled out her knife to pry out the item - a very small metallic box, and handed it to Natali, “I think you should ask your mom what that is.”

She nodded slowly as she closed her hand around it. “We’d... We’d better get back before they find out we’re out here. I mean we were just trying to help that kid, but we could still get in trouble. If we do though I’ll take responsibility. You guys were just trying to keep me out of trouble after all.” She smiled, even though she was shaking badly on the inside.

“There’s no way we’re going to let you take all the blame! We followed you over here,” Mindy said as she and Alexa turned to head back to the gate and stop suddenly.

Natali, still staring at the creature, shook her head. “But you said yourself, I’m LIghtning’s daughter. I have to set a better example.” She smiled a little as she turned around, looking up at her mother and the others. “Oh crap.”

“I think you did a fine job protecting your friends, and from what I hear, these three hoodlums egged you on and you ignored them. I’m sure we can overlook this little escapade this time,” Lightning winked at Natali, as she turned around and drug the two boys off to their home. Snow chuckled as he took the other boy to his home.

Natali held the strange item in her palm as she slowly walked back toward the gate. She shook her head slowly. “Well that went better than I thought,” she giggled.

The two girls followed behind, “Oh my God Natali, you have such a cool Mom!”

“She’s strict, but fair,” she beamed, pulling the two into a hug. “Thanks for showing me such a great time today. Cute seashells, monsters... You really know how to have fun,” she teased, winking.

“Hey no problem, want to go back to the beach tomorrow for more shells? I need two more!” Mindy smiled, “Oh and I think we should come up with a name for our Adventure party,” she added.

“Every legendary group needs a legendary name,” Natali giggled. “I still can’t believe what just happened. I mean shooting a practice target is one thing. That thing was coming right for us.”

“You are your mother’s daughter,” both girls giggle, “Seriously, how can you not be good with a gunblade if you’re hers! It’s in your blood.”

“I guess that’s true. Lightning’s skills and Vanille’s sense of humor. You’re both doomed,” she teased, giggling.

Both girls mock groan, “Oh hey, we should go back and beg Serah to let us play with Mog!”

“Mog?” Natali asked curiously.

“Yeah it’s Serah’s moogle, we should so go back and ask her!”

“Oh my God!” she squealed happily. “Aunt Serah has a real moogle?! That’s so cool!”

“Yeah she lets us play with Mog sometimes, but we cant take her outside at all; it’s forbidden by your Aunt.”

“Aww, poor moogle must get bored being stuck inside all day,” Natali mused, feeling sorry for it.

“I don’t think she minds; she loves Serah, and she gets to play a lot anyway.” Both girls nod.

“I think Mog goes outside with Serah when she goes outside.”

“Does she ever dance? I know, that’s a stupid question, but I had this really weird dream while I was taking a nap on the elevator, so I have to ask.”

“No she spins sometimes, and carries a wand, and says Kupo! like your plushies name,” Mindy replied.

“Kupopo!” Natali giggled, adding, “Remind me never to do that around a real moogle. For all I know it could mean something really bad.” She laughed..

“Auntie and Serah have a contest every morning to see who can say Good Morning Kupo! the most cheerful,” Alexa giggled.

Mindy giggled too, “I think Auntie has a thing for Moogles, more then we do.”

“They’re just so adorable,” Natali bubbled. “I want to learn all about them, where they come from. It’s weird that I can’t remember that stuff.”

“That’s like the Chocobo. Auntie said they never used to exist here, but all the sudden they are everywhere.” Alexa smiled as the three of them approached the NORA House.

“Really? Wow. Hey, do they ever have chocobo races?” she asked excitedly as NORA house came into view..

“Sometimes at the Casino they do, but we cant go; we aren’t old enough, but you can also watch the race on holo.” Mindy smiled.

“Oh, I have to try and find some. I love chocobo racing. Could care less about the gambling part. They’re just really fun to watch,” she nodded.

“I Think your Aunt Serah owns two at the Casino that race for money.”, Alexa smiled as they walked through the open door of the NORA House into the livingroom. Three adults were sitting on the couch, and Yuj, in a sundress busied herself in the kitchen.

“Hopefully nobody’s heard about what happened yet,” Natali whispered.

Lebreau smiled cheerfully as she came up the girls, “Have fun looking at the sea shells girls?”

Natali spoke up first, nodding. “The sand felt so great between my toes. We might go back tomorrow if nobody has any other plans for me,” she giggled.

“That’s right, you’re a Cocoon girl aren’t you? Never seen the ocean before. Well as long as you three stay away from the gates, you can go out to the water anytime you want Kupo!” She smiled casually. Natali just kind of smiled innocently … or at least tried to.

Serah stepped out of Natali’s new room and smiled at the three girls, “Hey you three. You staying out of trouble or you causing more?”

“Oh, um, no trouble here, right?” Natali answered as she glanced between her two friends. “We were just telling Ms. Lebreau about our relaxing visit down to the beach.”

Serah smiled at her niece, and Lebreau laughed as she ruffled Natali’s hair, “You can just call me Auntie like you do Serah! We’re all family here you know? None of that ‘Ms.’ business.”

Natali giggled a little as she nodded. “Yes ma’am - Oops, I mean ‘Auntie’,” she corrected herself.

“Exactly what I expected from Lightning’s daughter: military mannerisms. It’s ok sweetie; they are hard to break. I know how big of a drill sergeant your mother is.”

Natali giggled. “She’s worried that I’m going to pick up too much of Uncle Snow’s bad habits.”

Lebreau laughed, and Yuj overhearing the conversation laughed as well. “There is an uneasy peace between Lightning and Snow. Those two are always finding new ways to piss each other off, and they only keep it cool because of Serah.” As she said that, Serah blushed a little.

“Oh boy,” she giggled. “He’s never going to let her hear the end of it after tonight then. Um, wait, forget I said that.”

Lebreau grinned as she leaned closer and stage-whispered, “They only get along really well when they have common goals, like punishing those three boys.” She winked.

Natali hung her head. “I guess you already know. I felt bad about getting Alexa and Mindy involved in that, but I couldn’t just stand there with someone in trouble you know?”

“Oh God sweetie, you three aren’t in trouble! We just give that warning to not go past the gates because its not safe out there, but I know my two girls can handle themselves, and well, from what Light told us, so can you!”

Natali’s eyes lit up. “Oh that reminds me! Alexa found this on the monster.” She quickly held out her hand, opening her palm.

Lebreau took the small device, squeezing it. The device opened to reveal a pair of silver earrings. “Those things tend to eat random crap out there. Most of the monsters do, but here you go; a pair of silver earrings.”

“Oh, wow. They’re beautiful!” Natali gasped.

Serah gently grabbed Natali’s ears to see if they were pierced, “Oh you poor girl. Lightning never had your ears pierced, and shame on Vanille for not sticking up for you and getting them done anyway! I’ll have to take you to the store later and have them pierced for you sweetie.”

“Oh,” she answered reluctantly. “It doesn’t hurt does it?”

Alexa and Mindy both smile, “Nope they put the thing up to your ear and you don’t even feel them go in.”

“Oh, neat. I always wondered... Well I mean, you know what I mean.” She giggled, concocting a swift lie. “They gave me some memories, but other stuff I have to figure out myself if that makes any sense.”

Lightning piped in, “Serah you’re not trying to put more holes in my li’l girl’s head are you? Two, not four oK?” she laughed.

Natali giggled. “Oh hi Mom. How’d it go?”

Vanille looked over at Lightning before she could answer Natali, “Two? I have six - three in each ear. Why not let her do the same?”

“Because shes not a pin-cushion Vanille. When she gets older and wants more she can have them, but I believe it’s only proper for two at her age.” was Lightnings response.

Natali stayed out of the discussion entirely, quietly wandering into the kitchen to watch Yuj cook. “Don’t mind me. I think it’s just safer in here.” She giggled.

The two women argued over how many holes Natali could have in her ears as Yuj fixed lunch, “Hey there sweet cheeks, want to help a little?”

“Sure, but... I have to warn you, I have my mother’s kitchen skills.”

“We will see about that. You might be just like Serah in the kitchen!” Yuj smiled, handing her a spoon, “Go ahead and stir the soup on the stove for now ok?”

“God that smells really good,” she bubbled, dipping the spoon into the pot to slowly stir the steaming liquid. “What kind of soup is it?”

“Its Mushroom soup so its safe today,” Yuj smiles at Natali.

“Unless you’re a mushroom,” Natali giggled at her own bad joke.

Yuj looked at Natali seriously, “I don’t think the Mushroom people would take kindly to you saying that about them.”

“Mushroom... people?” she asked, turning a shade paler as she looked into the pot.

“Yes, and if they heard you say that about them, they would so put you into a pot to soup,” Yuj continued to look serious.

“I think I’ll just have a carrot instead,” she mused more softly.

Yuj started to laugh out loud, “Oh I had you going didn’t I? Mushroom people!” he slapped his knee.

Natali giggled, sticking her tongue out. “And they say I got Vanille’s sense of humor!”

“Oh God, I’m sorry” Yuj grinned.

Natali, still giggling, reached over with the dry end of her spoon to lightly goose Yuj’s side. “Don’t mind me. I’m still a little on edge I guess,” she mused, returning to her nice, gentle stirring.

“Oh want to tell , hmm Aunt Yuj.. or Uncle Yuj depending on how you care, about why you’re on edge sweet cheeks?”

“I like ‘Aunt Yuj’, but it’s whatever you prefer, y’know?” she grinned, glancing down again.

“It’s whatever you feel comfortable calling me. The two girls call me Aunt Yuj, and everyone else just calls me Yuj, but you lot are the tots around here, so you can’t just call me Yuj,” she smiles.

“Yeah well... No offense, but you’re too pretty to be “Uncle” anything,” she shot back with a quiet smile. “And as for me, I’m just kind of freaked out about that monster earlier. It’s one thing to see them in the holos or whatever. It’s quite another to have one pissed off and charging right at you. I don’t know what I was thinking.” She shook her head. “I heard someone scream and I knew what it had to be. I just kept thinking that I had a better chance than some dumb kid. Sure didn’t expect it to just fall over like that.”

“Want to know what you do when faced with a monster outside the gates Natali sweetie? What you do is think about it this way; no matter what, they are creatures, they eat meat, and they are hungry, and you’re food to them, so it’s either you kill them or they kill you. Never feel bad for defending yourself or others against them ok?” Yuj smiled reassuringly.

Natali blinked, smiling a little brighter. “How... did you know that’s really what was bothering me? I’ve never killed anything. Not even a fly.”

“First time I went out in the field I had the same problem as you sweetie. I wasn’t a fighter; my mother was, but I wasn’t. Hell even my sister was, but I just couldn’t kill anything. You can even ask her,” she looked over at Lebreau.

“So... does that mean we can have roasted meonekton tomorrow?” she teased.

“Oh heck no, we don’t eat those things, ugh, nasty, barf girl!” Yuj grinned at Natali.

Natali grinned impishly. “Got you though, didn’t I?”

Yuj smiled and bowed to Natali, “I admit defeat,” and laughed a little.

Vanille came into the kitchen with a big smile on her face. “Well I won that fight.”

Natali giggled. “I wasn’t about to get in the middle of that one.”

Vanille hugged Natali. “You can have as many earrings in your ears as you want sweetie. Your mother Lightning won’t stand in your way. It’s part of my people’s customs to have more then one set in each ear anyway.

“Wow, really? I was thinking about sticking with just one until I was older, but... Now I might do two just for that.”

“When we go meet your Aunt Fang at the weapon shop tomorrow you will see. She’s got more then I do.”.

Serah stepped into the kitchen a moment later. “Yuj, you don’t need Natali anymore do you? Alexa and Mindy are in my room playing with Mog and wanted to know if Natali could join them.”

“Oh, I completely forgot,” Natali giggled.

Yuj gently smacked Natali’s butt with a stirring spoon, “Go on and go play. Vanille can help me with lunch.”

“Ow, hey!” she laughed. “Thanks Auntie Yuj, for the good advice. I really needed it.” She added with a smile, turning to hug her before racing out of the room.

When Natali entered the room, Mog stopped playing and turned to look right at her, stopping in mid air holding her wand out, “Kupo?”

“Um.. Hi?” she answered hesitantly, staring as if not quite believing her own eyes.

Mog pointed her wand at Natali’s gunblade, “Kupo!”

Natali blinked, looking from the moogle down to her weapon. “Um, I’m not going to use it on you?” she responded nervously.

Mog continued to point at Firedance, “Kupo!” then pointed to the bed, “Kupo Kupo!”

“Oh I get it. Not sure why, but okay.” She carefully, almost reverently unsheathed her gunblade, setting it down on the bed. “Like that?”

“Kupo!” Mog smiled broadly, and suddenly Natali’s gunblade turned into another moogle.

“Kupo! Hello Mog kupo!”

“Jeeze!” Natali squealed, stumbling backwards.

Both the other two girls squeeal as soon as Natali’s gunblade turned into a Moogle then spoke in Common with that little girl’s voice.

Natali managed to get to her knees again, cautiously poking at the new little moogle.

Mog smiled at Moogie, “Mog says hello Moogie, how has Moogie been kupo?”

Moogie twirled around a little, and smiled back, “Moogie been good, Moogie takes care of Natali now kupo!”

Natali half-squeaked, half-squealed. “Oh my God. You’re... I’ve been... Oh my God.”

Moogie turned to Natali. “Moogie loves Natali a lot. Alexa and Mindy ok too kupo.”

“How is this possible?” she finally managed to put together a coherent sentence, despite the utter shock in her voice.

Mog looked down at Natali, being the oldest moogle in the room, “Mog asks what do you mean by that Natali kupo?”

“My gunblade … is a moogle. It’s not something that we covered in basic training.”

Mog smiled and twirled a bit, “Moogie is a rare moogle. Moogie is a gunblade moogle, and Mog is a Bowblade moogle kupo. Not so strange to Moogie and Mog kupo!”

Looking at the twins, Natali started to speak, but paused, then started again. “Did... you know about this?”

Both girls shook their heads no. “We didn’t even know they could talk. All Mog ever said was Kupo!”

Mog giggled a little, “Mog says more then Kupo, Kupo!”

Natali giggled, running her finger quietly over Moogie’s tummy. “She’s so adorable.”

Serah poked her head into the room, “Unfortunately, moogles speak in third person, but that’s easy to get used to, because they are just so darn cute, Did Claire give you Moogie, Natali?”

Natali quickly nodded. “Yeah. She said she was a special gunblade, but she didn’t warn me about this.”

“She gave a person Mog to give to me, and never said anything about it either, I think she does that on purpose.” Serah giggled.

Natali laughed. “This is just so incredible. God I had like, ten thousand questions I wanted to ask yesterday and now I can’t think of one.”

“I wouldn’t worry about it. Enjoy your Moogle; love your gunblade, and it will always love you.” Serah smiled, calling over her shoulder as she turned to leave, “Mog, play nice ok?”

“Do you guys like being weapons?” Natali asked, tilting her head slightly.

Mog smiled and answered first, “Mog loves Being Serah’s Bowblade. Mog kill anything that will hurt Serah kupo.”

“Kupo,” Natali giggled quietly. “Moogie, right? Um... Was that your doing that made that nasty beast’s head implode earlier?”

Moogie smiles, “Moogie helped, but Natali did most work kupo! Moogie will do anything for Natali to help protect Alexa and Mindy kupo!”

“Wow,” she answered softly and giggled. “Okay, last question, I promise. But it’s kinda important. Do you have to stay in your weapon form when we go out? Or for that matter do you prefer one form over another?”

Moogie grinned a very cute Moogle grin. “Moogie and Mog no have to be weapons all the time Kupo. Moogie can be moogle when Moogie wants kupo!”

“Oh, cool,” Natali giggled. “I’d feel guilty if you never got to have any fun.”

“Moogie has fun just being with Natali, kupo!” Moogie did a spin and floated up to Natali, nuzzling her.

“Awww,” she giggled, giving the moogle a little kiss on her nose. “You are SO adorable. I always wanted a moogle, even just a plush toy..”

The moogle twirled around, “Moogie is free to be Moogie, Kupo!”

Natali giggled as she pulled Moogie into a gentle hug. “Yes, you’re free to be you. If anyone asks, I’ll tell them the truth. You’re my friend and my guardian.” She grinned. “Kupo.”

up
143 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

New but - okay

Teek's picture

Do I dare admit I have never played Final Fantasy? When I was little I played Zork and Wizardry, but stopped playing most of these type of games before 1990 (okay I am old - I remember playing computer games on a tele-type machine, oh those long rolls of paper full of holes). Oh well, I decided to take the risk and venture into a Fan-Fic story due to the two authors. I am a bit confused at times, and the names and references mean nothing to me. I read it all the way through though and I am enjoying it so far.

There was one part that did seem to need a bit more work. It didn't flow like the rest of the story. It is where she meets and starts interacting with the twins. The conversation and interaction appears a bit awkward at times and the wording doesn't seem like kids naturally talking.

Keep writing, I am interested to see where this all goes. Gatta love the concept of a weapon being your pet, or your pet being your weapon.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Yeah, we actually had

Zoe Taylor's picture

Yeah, we actually had important name references set up to link back to a wiki entry to make it less of a headache for non-fans to follow (and I say that as someone who hasn't played XIII either ;-) So I had lots of reading to do as I helped Ashly with this *Giggle*), but something went squirrely and they didn't transfer over properly. Sorry about that. :-)

The way the story's going to progress though, that stuff will become less and less confusing. That's all I can say without giving out spoilers though :-D

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

Thanks for reading Teeka:) I

Thanks for reading Teeka:) I know its a bit hard to follow if you never played the games, and as for the kids not really acting like Kids, the worlds of Final Fantasy are a bit Harsh, Monsters all around, Most kids grow up fast.


Click Me!

=^.^=

Become a Patron!

Have a mew of a day!

your not that old

Sadarsa's picture

You stopped playing after 1990?

Well then that's a relief! because Final fantasy was first released in 1987 =P

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Miss interpret

Teek's picture

I stated that I have never played Final Fantasy. I stopped playing Fantasy and Roll Playing games around 1990. Zork and the original Wizardry games are early 80's games. Zork doesn't even have any graphics. Wizardry was the first with graphics, and multi-player play with 6 adventurers. No internet back then either.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

double posting

Sadarsa's picture

this was a double post.. lag monster got me

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Does Natali need a sister?

Cause i could totally fill that spot.. honest!

Love the FF settings, and its great to see some fiction about it here! thank you for writing!

Long time final fantasy fan

Long time final fantasy fan here, I figured since nobodys done one that Id take a pop in the dark at one, and then Zoe kinda hoped in and started helping me with it and well I think it's turning out really well, Part 2 is going to have moments in it where your just like, "Wow" and what not (No spoilers) :)

Id love to be Lightnings Daughter, so far shes been my favorite hero in the FF Universe well Lightning that is.


Click Me!

=^.^=

Become a Patron!

Have a mew of a day!

And once I started, she

Zoe Taylor's picture

And once I started, she wouldn't let me stop :-P

It's weird how well we work together, bouncing ideas and dialogue back and forth. Some of our story note sections are as big as some stories' chapters here on TopShelf :-P

I really only helped with development of the main character, and technical editing. Everything else is 100% Ashly's (And I'm not even a heavy editor really, when I can avoid it)

I'm likewise a longtime FF fan. Final Fantasy VI was my first FF RPG, but I've been into them for as long as I can remember (since I was about seven I think - the first Nintendo console RPGs anyway, like Ultima, Dragon Warrior, Hydlyde(sp), etc), and I've long since gone back and played the earlier games in the series. I stopped at X, but the story of XIII was compelling enough that I'm seriously considering XIII-2 (the nature of the mechanics of XIII would drive my OCD bonkers, so I had to pass on it :-( )

I cried so hard when Celes tried to commit suicide in FFVI. So when Ashly mentioned wantin to do a TG Final fantasy fic, I hopped right onboard with helping with ideas and stuff, and it just kind of branched out from there :-)

ANYway! :-D

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

Never played Final Fantasy

I don't know anything about it but I'm really enjoying this.
I wonder what's going to happen with Nat's mother on Earth?

I agree and I wonder about

I agree and I wonder about this too. I mean especially if she tries the game for some reason...

Totally fascinating story, although I never played FF.

thank you for writing,
Beyogi

Great Fun

Thanks, I hope to see more soon.

Dance the dream you're in

Very Nicely done

Been a fan of Final Fantasy since FF-X and FF-X2have 13 but we never seem to be able to finish, it belongs to my daughter. Loved the story.

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Out of X and X-2 I liked X-2

Out of X and X-2 I liked X-2 better, Tidus well was Tidus?

lol, anyway, I liked the world of Cocoon, and Gran Pulse more then most of them, I would have went with 7 but well Cloud isnt going to settle down with Aeirth dead and what not :)


Click Me!

=^.^=

Become a Patron!

Have a mew of a day!

squeeeeeeee!

FF adict here! ^^

Though I haven't finished a lot of them, because the fighting gets boring to me after a while. But the stories are always great! :--D

Does natali sudden change in personality hold any meaning, like overcompensating because of 14 years of trying to be a boy or out of fear of going back to being a boy? Or am I overthinking this?

I recently started FF13 again in hopes of finishing it, so I can buy the sequel :--)

grtz & hugs,

Sarah xxx

There is an over laying fear

There is an over laying fear on going back home, Hes not really embraced being a girl yet, but he defiantly has embraced making friends, it's one thing he really wished he had back on earth.


Click Me!

=^.^=

Become a Patron!

Have a mew of a day!

That was surprising

I kinda like this, and I #1: don't usually get into fanfictions, and #2: stopped playing the Final Fantasy series after X-2.

Something tells me that IF mom gets dragged in too, she'll become a big bad. Perhaps THE BIG BAD.

Just one small thing? Could you try when describing the scenery to take into account that many of your readers will probably have absolutely no clue what they look like? A little scenery description never hurts anybody.

I used to be a huge FF nut though, was introduced to the series clear back with FF1 and kept playing them all and "completed" every single one through X, didn't play X-2 more than cursorily though, just couldn't get into it anymore.

Abigail Drew.

ffx 13

reminds me i still need to finish ffx 13

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

omg excellent 15/5 i need

omg excellent 15/5 i need more hugs :)

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Sorry about that, we can do a

Sorry about that, we can do a better job of describing stuff, we had wiki links, but translation from GDocs to here they kind of got lost in translation.


Click Me!

=^.^=

Become a Patron!

Have a mew of a day!

PC Acting up

Part 2 will be a lot more action packed towards the end, the start and middle are more for filling in some stuff, and getting Natali adjusted to her new life.
I wont spoil it anymore for you guys thou :)


Click Me!

=^.^=

Become a Patron!

Have a mew of a day!

excellent final fantasy

omg excellent 15/5 i need more
hugs :)
you need to write more your an excellent writer

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

YAY!!!

revolution's picture

Was hoping somebody would do something for XIII-2! loved playing this game as well as XIII, XII, X, X-2, IX, VIII, and VII. I really enjoy how you are capturing the world and adding in extra things for the characters.

I also enjoyed the way you turned the ending of this game around into something better and more upbeat. While I enjoyed the game and its story the Ending made me really sad. I have hope that the DLC episodes will change that ending but i have to wait to find out.

Can't wait to read the next part!

Good one...

I liked this one. Been a long time since I have played FF, but this story made me interested in playing the game again.

I hope that Nathan's mom finds some peace and redemption though. I can think of Nothing worse than losing your child and not knowing what happened to them.

-- Sleethr

im so jealous

nathan/natalie is sooo lucky
hugs :)

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

im so jealous

nathan/natalie is sooo lucky
hugs :)

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Cute!

This is cute! Exactly what I needed tonight. I can't wait to see this continue.

It's not going to end yet!

It's not going to end yet! that's just the first part, believe me, Theres a part 2 being written as I write this to you.

I just want to say, Wow guys, Thank you for all the support with this one, It's beyond what I expect for a reaction to this story, The Character's relationships are changed up a bit in this story, but Zoe and I did that because well, Vanille and Lightning would just make a sweet couple, and I hated the ending of XIII-2 so we changed it up, I've been told that the DLC will have alternative endings for the story, depending on what you do to change the timeline.


Click Me!

=^.^=

Become a Patron!

Have a mew of a day!

out of curiosity

revolution's picture

Is there a reason you used captain Jonas instead of Commander Amodar? In XIII he was evacuating people from the purge and in XIII-2 he is Captain Cryptic for the fragments. just curious still loving this story.

Awesome

revolution's picture

Individualism does make the story more personal! Great plot!

Ordinarily I'd avoid Fanfics

Ordinarily I'd avoid Fanfics simply for the fact usually I end up disliking them, but I gave this one a shot because Zoe Taylor is one of my favorite authors on the site, and wow am I glad I did. I couldn't stop reading and now I'm left with wanting more. lol Great story so far!

Never be afraid to push yourself to new limits. While you might not see the path, you will be amazed at what you can achieve.

The poor mother and Lightings true identity

first off great story
but i feel extremly horible for the mother first she loses her husband either leaving or a plane crash or both unsure wich is true as yet . though the mother has the news clippings then she loses her son to forces unknown at the time .and am wondering how the arthurs plan on dealing with the mothers double heart break ? i can thnk of sevral the magic that took her soon slowly makes her forget she somehow gets transported to the game world as well or she takes her life no longer able deal with the pain . this phrase makes me think the latter "Glancing up from a half-finished glass of wine, she shrugged. “They’re sending someone. Meantime I ordered Chinese, since I probably shouldn’t be driving,” she continued, staring into her glass with equal parts desire and disgust.

Nathen sighed, “I’m going to go lay down then. Wake me when the Chinese food gets here ok Mom?”

“Okay. Hey,” she called after him as he turned to leave. “I love you" as she seemed to be near the edge already due to lose of her husband now to the second part this sentence "A pained expression seemed to cross the woman’s face for a second as she turned away. Her visions told her she couldn’t tell Natali the truth just yet, so she had to continue pretending not to care, no matter what the personal pain." for some reason makes me think that Lighting may be in fact be Natali's real father who somehow was also transported to the game world and transformed . the truth of that has yet to be seen wich might explain the reluctance to tell Natali and why she would think of keeping Natali for good even though causes great pain to another when she seems so careing at the moment

Never played the games

Renee_Heart2's picture

So I don't know the story. Whine finalfantsy but this is a very interesting & rather Intreging story.

I hate that Nalie's real mom is a drunk & that she had to go into the video game to find true love with not 1 but 2 loving mothers an auint & uncle & now a Wepon pet lol. Things are not as they appear in this new world.

As for Natlies first kill... I hate that she had to do it but it was to protect others @ her over the
Monster, she did what she had to do.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

a mothers love

the story dosent yet say weither her real mother was a drunk before loseing her husband . but it may have driven her to drink to dull her pain from the loss . as to loveing natali i belive her real mom does love her its just the pain makes it hard to show it lets rember natali wasnt a appearing to be a loveing and careing person before her transformation and transport to the new world she was indiffrent and didnt seem to care about anything but her self . yes nathan was hurting with the loss of his father but how much is the mom hurting with the loss of a soul mate story still hasnt cleared up why he isnt around anymore 100% sorry if seems im harshing on natali but she is abanding her hurting mother for her own joy

Nice story

I haven't played any FF games since #7, and that was a few years after it came out, I got it cheap secondhand.

I may have played one or two of the FF games before #7, but I don't remember them, so I really can't say.

I'm enjoying the story and I will read the next part in a moment.