The Making of Nibs - Upload 2

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 9

“Thanks hun.” She smiled and joined the three girls as they walked towards the lift and stairs lobby and then onto the ground floor to meet Darla and the twins. The lift lobby was a good forty feet long by twenty feet wide. Along the furthest wall from the double doors which lead to the car-park were four lift doors. In a small section off to the side behind the doors were the stairs that ran from the third floor to Sub-basement 2. All four girls simultaneously headed for the stairs down and when they had cleared the last flight of stairs, Abs opened the door onto the main car park which ran in front of the main entrance. The friends started to walk around the outside of the shopping centre, which was constructed of bricks, steel, and toughened glass. The crowds moved on an ebb and flow that moved with an unknown controlling mind, around the four they seemed to pass through the crowds effortlessly. The four girls rounded the corner and approached the main entrance Darla saw them as they saw her, they then waved at her. Darla returned the wave and started towards them.
Darla greeted the group and she asked, “Where’s Angel and Damieel?” Where they actually meet was in front of a set of doors to Digital Gaming.
“Off running errands for me.”
“Excuse me please,” said a voice of a woman as she approached the group.
“Oops, sorry,” everyone said and moved to the side closest to the main entrance. Where they had a small chuckle.
“They will be joining us latter though?” she asked.
“Yes they should.”
“Onward with the shopping trip then.”
“Yeah on with the shopping,” said all the girls together.
The front of the mall was all glass, both the first and second floors started slightly away from the actual front. As the group walked through the main doors they saw that the first floor ped-way ran down in front of the first floor shop fronts, the middle area was clear to the roof, except for the bridges at regular intervals joining the two sides. Running from the ground to the first floor was an up and a down escalator, a pair of concrete backed slopes joined the first floor to the second. On the south side of the ground floor ped-way was a branch of Fraks Burgers, a popular burger bar with the CHMs, and Surra Home Stores. On the north side was Mark Dytas Clothing and the Mall’s Security Control.
As the group walked through the main doors Darla turned and said, “Welcome Nibola, to The Harliquanis Shopping Mall.”
The Shopping centre was bright, with strip lights hanging from the ceiling and the base of the first floor, the middle of the wide expanse was open to the ground which had water features, seats and a couple of open air cafés and small stalls selling clothes, calendars, candles and other assorted items. All the levels were full of shoppers and some teenagers, most of whom should have been at school, and if the education system cared would have called it bunking.
Mothers were dragging toddlers or pushing pushchairs with babies or toddlers, some crying others sleeping. One mother was sitting on one of the bench seats feeding a baby while a slightly older toddler sat close to her on a leash tied to his wrist.
“Why, thank you Darla,” she replied again smiling happy smiles. She was also feeling very light headed, but she thought that was due to being true to her self.
“Prepare for 90% CHM shopping, but the best 10% Alternative shopping in the entire city,” responded Darla.
“That’s in here,” added Sandra.
“And 100% the best alternative scene outside on the back streets,” said Abs.
“And the second home of the Gangrel Street gang,” added Tina.
Just inside the main doors Darla directed the group to the escalators to take them to the second floor and the café located there, “I think a drink to celebrate the outfitting of Nibs, on me,” said Darla.
“Thanks Darla,” everyone said in response to Darla’s offer.
The group travelled the two escalators to the second floor and Demology Café.
The five friends walked into the café and right up to the serving area. One of the two bar men standing behind the bar recognised the group and smiled. “Welcome back, ladies of the night.” She saw him look at each of the group with his eyes, his eyes settled on her. “A new lady of the night?” he asked inquiringly.
Darla answered “Yes allow me to introduce Nibola Calton.”
“Welcome Nibola,” He was wearing a happy look.
“Please call me Nibs.”
He smiled at that. “Can I take it your normal orders ladies?”
“Yes,” responded Darla, “Nibs?”
After a quick read of the drinks menu she said, “Spiced Chai Latte, please.”
“Certainly, I shall bring them over to you.”
“Thank you,” replied Darla.
The group turned and walked towards one of the booths that lined the wall, opposite the bar. Across the front of the café was a single piece of glass with the door cut into the right hand side of it and outside on the second floor sat a few seats and tables surrounded by a low metal barrier. The actual café was quite modern-looking with a few walled booths lining the wall each one had a table and two comfortable bench seats. Pictures of either famous sportsmen or film stars, most long dead lined the walls. The rest of the floor area was covered in a few round tables and chairs. Above the first line of pictures was a second row of film and sports memorabilia. Also dotted around were posters of upcoming events - concerts and festivals.
One festival poster caught her eye and the eye of the group it was advertising a three-day music and arts festival in West Hills district. The festival was celebrating its tenth year. On the bottom of the poster was the net address where more information could be had.
She took out her PDU, which she carried everywhere, typed the address in and brought up the pages, “Mm,” she said, “site says they are looking for people to help setup and steward the festival. It may be awesome fun to go and help them.”

“True it may,” Sandra said smiling as she and Paul had been to one music festival when she was very young.
“I know one thing,” said Tina.
“What’s that hun?” inquired Abs.
“I’m definitely going, it’s the festival mum and dad helped at before we moved to South Cove,” said Tina.
“Oh yeah, it is I remember you talking about it,” responded Abs, “then I’m also going.”
“Same here,” said Nibs.
She nodded her answer.
“When is it?” asked Darla.

Nibs also noticed a group of CHM teenagers outside stood against the railings that demarcated the walk area from the open drop to the ground floor. As she watched them she noticed the magazine plate of a pistol flash into view and was gone again as the female moved and the jacket she was wearing hung, hiding the pistol again.
“5th to the 7th of Auar, three weekends time,” answered Abs.
The barman who had taken the drinks orders walked over carrying a tray with the various drinks on. “Spiced Chai Latte for the newest lady,” he said as he placed a large cup of frothy milk in front of her. “Coffee for you two,” he said, placing tall cups in front of Sandra and Tina. “Black tea for you my dear,” he said as he placed a mug in front of Darla. “And a Latte for you Abs.”
“Thank you,” came the reply from all five girls.
At this he placed the bill on the table and walked back to the counter.
“He seems to be a nice man. How do you lot know him? I guess not from him being just a barman,” she asked.
“No.” said Darla and turned to look at her, “He’s one of the Street Dealers my mum and dad used for things like specialist ammunition, information and similar.”
After finishing the drinks, the group walked to the bar carrying the dirty cups. Darla paid the tab for the drinks. After the second barman ran the tab and Darla had handed over the money she said, "Maybe see you later Tony."
“I’ll be here you lot,” replied Tony as he continued to serve the two customers.
As the group headed towards the escalator so they could return to the first floor. The group she had seen from inside the café had shrunk but they were still leaning on the railings beside the escalator down. She heard a degority comment come from the group she turned her head and stared at them over the top of Simoine’s designer shades whilst she continued to follow the rest of the group. As she did, she smiled and continued on down the escalator.
When the group had reached the first floor the five friends headed into the mall proper. They took the north walkway which passed beside an Oyds Chemists, one of the larger chemists and general beauty stockists. When they reached one of the two cross junctions they turned right moving to left hand side of the aerial walkway. They passed Ecchy Clothes, a trendy clothing outlet catering to the 16+ teenager and early adult. The next store was the one the group wanted Githage.
As the girls approached the store, she saw the frontage of Githage, the front was all glass with metal supports holding the glass in place. The glass had spider-web designs etched into it’s corners. Behind the glass where a couple of mannequins modelling two complete outfits, one male, the other female. The male one was wearing black baggy trousers, with at least 10 pockets dotted all over it, and a tight black t-shirt with ‘Rifts from the Towers’ logo, one of the better known Gith bands, across the front. The female mannequin was modelling a full-length dress made from black, red and purple material, which looked very elegant.
As the girls walked inside the shop, she was arm in arm with Sandra and saw they the inside of the shop. The back of the shop draped in a deep red cloth hanging in high downloops. On the floor was a deep red plush pile carpet, it felt springy under the boots. Pillars dotted the actual shop and on all of them were full length mirrors. The clothes were either on hung on clothes racks or folded on shelving units.
Looking across the shop she could see five distinct areas, the area at the very back looked like it was more formal wear. The entire left wall was dedicated to The House of Gith clothing line from C.E.G. Fashion Producers. On the opposite wall was underwear from the From Hell with Love label, most of the rest of the store was dedicated to Gangrel and Gith Street Fashions. The wall behind the front was where the shoes and boots were on display.
As the group entered, Sandra and her wandered over to the counter and asked, “Is Sarah in?”
“Yes she is, she’s in the back,” came the reply from the late-teenager man, whose name tag showed he was called Dominic.
As Dominic made the comment the drapes hanging at the back of the shop parted, and a tall woman, not much older than around 22, possibly 24, entered and quickly surveyed the shop. She was dressed in a tight Githage top, and a long deep red skirt which reached the floor hiding her feet; she had long white with black streaked hair. She very quickly spotted the group of girls browsing the clothes racks. She walked over and asked, “Can I help you ladies?”
“Yes you can Sarah,” replied Sandra.
“Bloody hell, Sandra and the rest of the retrobate Vixens,” said Sarah as she surveyed the group smiling. “Oh and a new member?” asked Sarah.
“Yes, allow me to formally introduce Queen Sarah Cutherlate, Leader of the Gangrels, to Nibola Calton, our newest Bitch Vixen.”
“Welcome Nibola?” inquired Sarah.
She looked at Sarah smiling. “Please its Nibs, thanks.”
“If you need any help please just ask, the staff here are all Gangrels.”
“Thanks again.”
After feeling and placing various items against herself all of the time Sandra, Tina, Abs and Darla commenting on the way it looked or didn’t. She heard in the tones used sincerity that most so called friends would never give when offering advice on clothes. All of the clothes were of very good quality and not too highly priced. This surprised her, as the research she had done into clothing and prices had indicated the prices of alternative scene clothes were slight more than the rest of the clothing market. After spending a good fifteen minutes browsing and listening to the advice of all the girls she had chosen 2 full-length skirts, three corsets, two normal tops, a couple of pairs of normal trousers, a pair of tight leather jeans, and a pair of steel toe-capped biker boots.
Sandra and her wandered over to where one of the three shop assistants was standing and asked him, “Where are the changing rooms?”
The shop assistant pointed to the back of the shop saying, “Over there ma’am.”
The pair wandered to the back of the shop, where Sandra held the clothes she had been carrying, while she tried the clothes on. “Can you help me with this corset, love?”
“No probs hun,” said Sandra in reply, took a peek into the changing room, and helped her with the corset and she continued to try clothes on. After another ten minutes Darla, Tina and Abs had wandered outside and sat on the benches outside the shop, having told Sandra where they were heading.

Outside the rest of the friends sat waiting for the pair to finish.
“I wish those two would hurry up!” Tina said.
“That’s not very lady-like Tina, girls love shopping,” retorted Darla
“I know, and I do, but god, these two know how to make it last.”

Inside the shop. Nibs finished putting the clothes she had worn that morning back on and walked out of the changing booth. “Thank you hun.”
Sandra was stood carrying the bulk of the clothes she had chosen “No problem my love, I’m just happy to see you happy.”
The pair walked over to the counter to pay for the items.
Sandra placed all the clothes she was carrying on the counter and these were joined by the trousers and two tops she had. When Heather had run up the total which came to 350 decks. Heather pressed ‘Discount One’ button and the total dropped to 245decks. She took out her wallet and handed over 250 decks, Heather run in the total and hand back a five deck note in change. “Would it be possible for me to collect the bags later today?”
“Yes that shouldn’t be a problem ma’am,” replied Heather
“Thank you.”
The pair walked out of Githage hand in hand smiling and approached the others.
Sandra said, “Next shop.”

*****

The next shop was opposite Githage and was called ‘Pleasant Places Pleasant Smells’ and a sign outside said the shop was registered to undertake piercings. The frontage of the shop was split in two by the wide entranceway. In the left hand window was a large red velvet-covered board with all different pieces of jewellery, and the display in the right window was some sculptures and ornaments. After a quick browse of the display left window, she choose a matchaing set of partner rings and some ear-studs.
Sandra and her entered the shop, which was as wide as the frontage suggested but not very deep. In the centre were some display shelves holding sculptures and ornaments led customers around the edge of the shop, where the shelves on the walls held more. In front of the shelves was a large cardboard display stand which held all manner of incense sticks and other such nice-smelling burnable materials. The pair wandered up to the counter located on the left hand side of the shop. The man standing behind the counter asked, “Can I be of assistance?”
“Yes I would like to purchase a pair of studs for my ears,” she said.
“Certainly ma’am,” and he stood and took out a large catalogue and flipped to the page that had the display in the window, “Which studs would you like?” asked the shop assistant.
“These pair of studs,” she replied and pointed to the items on the page.
“I’ll wait for you with the others outside, hun.”
“Ok.” She smiled as Sandra left the shop, then saying when Sandra had left the shop. “Can I also purchase this partner ring set.” She pointed to the set on the page.
“Certainly,” said the sales assistant, “Would the lady like to be pieced now?”
“Please,” she replied.
At this, the sales assistant pressed a button on the counter and a door in the back wall opened, a gent walked out and headed to the counter and asked, “What’s up Tony?”
“This lady wishes to have her ears pierced Nicholas.”
“No problem,” said Nicholas. “Would you please follow me ma’am.”
She followed Nicholas to a chair where she sat and Nicholas went about preparing her for the two piercings. She asked Nicholas, “Do you undertake inscriptions here or would I have to go elsewhere?”
“We do undertake inscriptions here, why do you ask?”
“I wish to have a partner ring set inscribed with something.”
“No problem, just give the inscription to Tony and he will complete it today.”
“Thanks.” She sat on the chair whilst Nicholas went about loading the piercing gun. She thought about the inscription she wanted on the rings.
Nicholas placed the gun against her ears and she felt a slight pang of pain as the piercing gun inserted the ear studs. Then he held a mirror in front of her. She looked at the two studs and smiled. Nicholas led her to the counter where she asked Tony, “Would you please inscribe the Partner rings with something?”
“Yeah no problems,” came Tony’s response.
She then wrote the inscription down, ‘Till death do us part’ on the outside of both and in one wrote ‘to Sandra from Nibs’, and the other ‘to Nibs from Sandra’.
“It will be done by about 05:00AN ma’am,” said Tony.
“Thanks,” she responded, “I shall be back then.”
“Pay for your other purchases when you return. May I say you pass easily and well?” said Nicholas as she was about to leave the shop.
She stopped and turned to face Nicholas. “What…What did you just say?”
“It takes one to know one.”
“Arh,” she said as the penny dropped. “Are you also?”
“I am, ma’am, I pass but that’s about it. Chat to you later this afternoon,” said Nicholas.
She turned and walked out, smiling as she went. As she approached the others, the twins bounded up, joyful and happy as always.
“Finished you two?” asked Darla.
“Yes mistress,” responded the pair both responded simultaneously.
“Good.”
“I need a drink.” said Tina.
“Yeah, so do I,” said Darla, “Let's go to the High Café?”
“Yeah, lets,” responded Abs.

*****

The seven friends walked to the up escalator that would lead them to the main central dome. From the second floor they travelled to up a second escalator to the High Café. The café was located in the dome that was the cross roads glass roof of the Mall.
The café was very similar to the one they had sat in yesterday during lunch-time at school. They found a large table and all sat to wait for the staff to come and get their order. Looking over the balcony fencing they could watch the people eating at the open air café on the first floor and the one on the ground floor. When the waiter came over he took the various drinks orders with a smile, and walked away to fill it.
The group just sat there and soaked up the atmosphere of the Mall. When the waiter returned, he was carrying a tray with five steaming cups and two tall glasses.
The glasses were passed to Tina and Angel and the rest of the cups which all contained a strong coffee, were placed in front of everyone else.
“Cheers,” said Abs as she picked her cup up and raised it in drinks toasting fashion, “To good friends and good times.”
“Agreed,” responded everyone else and brought the various drinks together over the middle of the table, clinking the cups and glasses together.
“To us all” she whispered under her breath, and thought, ‘What is going on, why do I feel this way and what is happening to me.’ “Anyone know when the Graduation Prom is?” She took a sip from her coffee.
“It not until the 16th of Ebinar. Why?” asked Tina after sipping her Black Earl Grey.
“Oh I hadn’t planned on going as I wouldn’t have had a date and I may have already moved, but now I’m thinking there’s fun to be had,” she responded to Tina’s question with an evil smile playing across her lips.
“Hell yeah,” said Tina.
She looked out just thinking about a few things she needed to do, one was to sponsor the rest of the Vixens so they could become full Street Ghosts, and join the ranks of those people she truly looked up to. The second was to install her drives on Home Base’s computer. She felt a hand rest on her thigh and she glanced down and saw it belonged to Sandra. ‘I so love you hun. I so love you.’
“Didn’t someone mouth we’re dead yesterday?” asked Abs as she put her cup of coffee back on the table.
“They did,” said Sandra as she sipped her coffee.
“Doesn’t this year’s prom have a theme of something?” asked Abs.
“Yeah its fancy dress,” replied Tina then taking her cup and taking a mouthful.
“Damn I and the twins can’t go,” said Darla. She noticed that Darla was looking down and somewhat upset.
“I don’t see why not, we all have two invites, one for the person and one for their partner, and as six of the Vixens go to the school, therefore 6 tickets for us and 6 for our partners,” she said, “If I read the invites and posters right.”
“Yeah that’s the way I read them as well,” said Sandra.
“Hell yeah,” responded Darla in happiness.
“As I am now going and have a date," she said, and smiled at Sandra who smiled back, "I know what I am planning on going as.”
“What then?” asked Sandra after placing her empty cup on the table.
“Samr, a famous female warrior from ancient Jarrzar,” she replied.
“Ok,” replied Sandra sounding interested. “Did Samr have any partners?”
“I think she did have, and if my memory serves me right I think she was accompanied by eight others I don’t remember the sexes, but that’s not heard to find out,” she responded.
After they had finished their drinks, Tina paid for them all. The group left for Mark Dytas Clothing, a large clothing department store from which she could get more normal general run-of-the-mill clothes from, they were all black or dark colours.

*****

After leaving Mark Dytas Clothing, the friends walked to the farthest ped-way and were heading for an exit to the car-parks when they came upon a Peninsula Combat Supplies, the shop itself sold military surplus equipment and from what she knew some firearm and bladed close combat weapons. This was the last shop they planned on visiting in here other than picking up the partner rings and bags from Githage.
The seven friends browsed the windows and saw one of the male manikins was carrying an M20 assault carbine.
She said, “I’m surprise at that,” and pointed at the M20.
“It must be a pellet gun or something,” said Darla, “I’ve not heard of this shop selling assault grade fire power. They sell pistols and some SMGs and ammunition, but I’ve not heard about the assault grade weapons.”
The group continued down the shop window and entered the shop. Just inside the entrance they were accosted by a shop assistant who asked, “Can I help any of you ladies?”
“Not at the moment, thanks,” she responded.
The shop was very airy with light streaming down from the ceiling light tubes. She realized that she knew this shop; she had been here once before as Nick when the Cameron Raiders had made an out-of-hours purchase call. The floor space was covered with shelving units and clothes racks, which contained everything a military nut could ever want. She only really wanted a pair of sniper fingerless gloves.
When she had bought them she asked, “Tina, can you, no, do you think you could wire a smart gun rig into the palms of these gloves?” as she was putting them on.
“I don’t see why not, I will need the technology to do it though.”
“Ok,” she responded and thought, ‘Email Damien Cameron to see if he knows where I can get the Tech from.’

*****

Just before picking up the bags from Githage she led the group back to the ‘Pleasant Places Pleasant Smells’. When they had arrived she said, “Would you mind waiting for me out here, sweet.”
“Ok hun,” said Sandra looking slightly surprised.
She walked into the shop, and paid Nicholas for the items.
“I hope you and your friends wouldn’t mind coming out clubbing with me and the rest of the LTBG scene. Oh yes, take this it’s from a very good pair of hair dressers and image consultants in the back streets.”
“Thank you. I think the Vixens may take you up on that offer and I’ll look them up today if there open.” She carried the two blue boxes both of them hidden behind her back out of the shop and she approached Sandra. She then went down onto one knee and presented one of the two ring boxes open to Sandra and said, “Till death do us part my love.” She then took the ring out, showed the inscription to Sandra and placed it upon her partner’s ring finger.

Sandra’s jaw dropped, when she saw the ring. “Is it the partner ring we saw in the window?”
”Yes it is, hun.”
“May I have the other box please?” she asked.
“You may hun,” replied Nibs
She saw Nibs bring the other box out and stand up. Nibs then passed the second ring box to her.
She then knelt on one knee and said, “Till death do us part my love.” She likewise placed the ring on Nibs’ ring finger. She then stood and was grabbed by Nibs who planted a massive kiss on her lips.
A good thirty seconds later. ”Urhmmm,” said Darla.

“Oops, sorry,” the pair apologised as they broke the kiss.
“We have other places to go I think,” continued Darla.
“We do. Don’t we,” said Sandra, and all seven girls walked across the joining bridge to Githage and the bags they had left there.
As they crossed the bridge Nibs asked Sandra, “Do you know anything about these people, Nicholas the manager handed me their card.” She passed the card to Sandra, who looked at it.
“Yes I do, Face Design, run by Arage and iLleathe the mistress and master of Gith make-up and hair. It’s one of the places we are planning on going. The other is Risers to the Occasion and the purchase of your first formal Gith dress, you’ll need it when I introduce you to the Gangrels, next Gathering. I love you Nibs,” replied Sandra as she slipped her arm through hers and nestled into her arm.
She smiled a happy smile, “I love you too hun, with all my heart.”
After collecting the five bags from Githage Tina suggested, “One more coffee in Demology to celebrate the completion of phase one of the shopping trip.” The twins were carrying the most of the bags as they seemed to want to.
“The ring is beautiful hun. Thank you so much.”
"You’re welcome my sweet, I thought it would be a good way of signifying our commitment to each other." She thought, ‘I have so found the people I feel close to, not only on the personal level, but the spiritual one too.’ She smiled as they walked back to the main entrance and the escalator to the second floor.

*****

The group walked in to order their drinks Tony who was leaning over one of the booth tables cleaning it, turned and said, “Hi, welcome back. You’re usual.”
“Mm, yeah,” everyone said.
The friends turned around and headed back out the door and sat in the area demarcated area in the front belonging to the café. When they all had grabbed chairs and sat down, waiting for the drinks to be brought out to them. They all took out either their tins and started to roll a Cambar cigarettes or took one they had made earlier and lit that. Since leaving the house that lunch time the friends hadn’t felt like smoking, even though the run to the centre was rather stressful.
She saw Tony walking towards the door carrying a tray. Tony dished out each of the drinks to the respective girls and after placing the tray on a nearby table. Tony grabbed himself a seat so he could join the girls and sat down with them. “You guys interested in some freelance work?” asked Tony.
“Interested,” answered Darla. “What makes you think we wouldn’t be.”
“Yeah, you’re right. The Mr. Smith who employed me to offer the job was very specific about who I was to offer it to, he said only offer it to The Bitch Vixens, and as you are the only team I know who go by the name The Bitch Vixens. So I now offer you the job.”
“Very interested now,” said Sandra. The entire group turned to look at Tony.
“The job entails the breaking and entering of an R&D research centre owned by Narizzan Inc. The client wants to get his hands on an experimental assault rifle that has been designed and the prototype constructed there and housed in a safe on the third floor. Mr Smith did also say the contract asked for two teams to operate in a co-ordinated fashion, as the overall raid also included the destruction of a specific lab on the same site.”
“That does sound interesting,” Nibs said.
“How much is the employer offering?” asked Darla.
“The Mr. Smith’s bosses gave him six million, five million decks on delivery for the assault rifle itself, and a million decks for the computer plans and live fire test results. Plus bonuses dependent on other data related to the various weapons projects.”
“Now that’s a lot of money for an assault rifle,” said Abs.
“Yeah I know,” said Tony, “I’ll let you think about it and tell me your answer later.”
“Ok Tony.”
Tony got up, grabbed the tray and disappeared back into the café.
“Do we take the job?” asked Sandra.
“Only after we do some serious research into the target corporation and other information relating to the job. Like who is employing us.” She thought, ‘Who the fuck knows we are about to break into the Street Ghost world. The money is elite-rated team fees, not a team just starting out. Five million plus a million for the plans, not many corporations can afford or would want to pay that type of money, especially to a group just starting out.’
The group sat there and mulled things over in their heads, even after the drinks had finished they continued to sit, think and chat amongst themselves for some time.
During the time she had taken her PDU out and was viewing various pages looking for information on the job. “I need my computers to do the research properly!” she exclaimed as she put her PDU away.
“True, we do need to be sat brainstorming things in a place conducive of productive work. Yours or mine?” asked Darla.
“Ours, net access,” answered Sandra.
“True,” responded Darla, “yours it is then. Sod the rest of the shopping trip, it can wait.”
The group stood up and as they were heading for the escalator down to the first floor, Darla stuck her head around the door and said, “Thanks Tony, can you put the drinks on a tab for us. Chat to you soon.”
“Ok girls, have fun and the drinks are on the house,” said Tony.

*****

Chapter 10

As the seven friends headed for the escalator down to the first floor, Sandra asked Darla, “Where are you guys parked?”
“Car park E Sub-basement 1,” replied Darla. “Where are you lot parked?”
“Car park A Level 2,” responded Abs.
“Isn’t Car park E round the back of the shopping centre?” asked Tina.
“It is. We’ll meet you in the Dalphin Pub car park in 20 minutes. I need to make a run to mine first to pick up a fresh supply of Cambar and something I have at mine, which may be of use to us,” responded Darla. “Angel, Damieel take the bags from Nibs and Sandra. We’ll carry them as I know only Paul’s motor-bike has a box. Both the motor-trikes have also got boxes and carrying nets.”
“Ok, thanks Darla, Angel, Damieel,” she replied was smiling as she handed the bags to Angel and Damieel, who just smiled and when the group arrived on the first floor The Twins followed Darla as she headed back into the shopping mall proper.
Nibs, Sandra, Abs and Tina continued down to the ground floor and headed out of the main entrance and right down the outside of the mall re-tracing their earlier steps, when they had arrived
“That was fun,” she said smiling and walking hand-in-hand with her true love Sandra.
“That was,” replied Tina who like Nibs and Sandra, was holding the hand of Abs. She guessed that Abs meant similar to Tina and the feeling was returned.
‘I think I am beginning to understand what it means to these three and the rest of the guys at the party, just to be a Gangrel and a Gith. They accepted me at face value and they generally don’t seem to have agendas with people. Other than Sandra and Paul, they’ve known me five days and yet I feel as if I have lived a life time as their friends.’
When the group had reached the doors into the lift and stair lobby, she pushed the double-doors open, and before they could swing back, all four girls passed through. Sandra tucked her right arm through her left arm, and placed her head on her shoulder. She looked at her head and saw the smile of happiness.
“Lift or stairs?” asked Abs.
“Stairs,” Sandra and her said together.
“Stairs it is, then,” responded Abs.
As the four girls reached the second floor, they passed a group of late-teen early-twenties men walking down the stairs from a higher level.
“You girls lesbians?” one of the guys shouted.
“So what if we are,” replied Abs as she pushed the door to the level open.
“We’ll change that,” another one said. “Come and try some real cock.”
Tina and her looked at each other just burst out laughing and shouted back as the doors closed.
“Guess what boys. There are two real cocks here,” said Tina and along with the rest of the girls just burst out laughing at Tina’s comment.
Just the other side of the doors as they were swinging back, the four girls separated with Nibs and Sandra going to one side, Tina and Abs moved to stand on the other. Both groups made sure that if the doors opened they wouldn’t get hit by the outward swing. After thirty seconds the doors hadn’t opened, all four girls started back towards where they had parked the two bikes.
“Do you want to drive or shall I?” she asked Sandra when they had arrived back at the bikes.
“Do you mind if I don’t drive love, I kind of enjoyed just riding pillion for once.”
“Do you want to drive sweet?” asked Tina as she stooped to retrieve the pistol magazines from the box under the petrol tank.
“Thanks hun,” replied Abs and took the keys when Tina offered them. Abs then climbed on and kick-started the engine and revved it as the spark plugs fired.
She lent over the fuel tank and watched as Sandra opened the hide under the fuel tank. She slid out the eight magazines hand her, her four magazines which were slid back into their home under her right arm pit. “Thanks hun,” she said as Sandra slid hers back into their holder, standing up when she had done so giving herthe bike keys. She then climbed on and inserted the key into the ignition turning it to the on position. She then flicked out the kick start and rammed it down and caught the engine as it started turning over. Sandra joined her as she brought the finger tips of her sniper gloves so they covered her fingertips as the speeds they did on the ICs and CWs meant her hands would freeze with out them.
Abs backed her bike out of the bay and waited for her to join her in the main car route-way. When she had joined her the pair negotiated the route-way heading for the down ramp. They had to stop and wait until five cars, all travelling down from the upper levels, passed them. One of the cars was blaring loud popular Street Voice style music from its speakers. Both the bikes joined the convoy heading for the exit. The down ramp dropped them back on the road they had used when arriving, slightly south of the entrance way. As the bikes approached the exit the barrier lifted and allowed them out. When the barrier had lifted they found only two of the cars were ahead of them, the one blaring music was driving towards the junction and it looked like he was turning left at the lights. They slowed and waited for the two cars ahead of them to leave and when the one just in front had turned right they fed in as the car which had let the car out, allowed them to join the main road.
As she joined the main road she looked at the driver and saw the woman was smiling that them. She put her hand up to say thanks which to her surprise received a nod in reply. This reaction surprised her, as most road users didn’t seem to care if anyone they helped said thanks.
On the south side of the main road, that made up the south edge of the mall complex was a hyper-market belonging to Seaabar Shopping Plc. As the girls slowed for the junction they indicated right and slightly accelerated as the lights governing their lane changed to green. The headed past the front of the Hypermarket the crowds using an underpass between the Hypermarket and the car-parks belonging to the Mall. When the girls approached the set of lights governing the main road crossroads on the south west corner they turned left and then immediately right into the car-park belonging to the Dalphin Pub. Here they waited for Darla and the twins to appear as car-park E was on the western side of the Mall.
After fifteen minutes, Tina said, “There they are,” when they came into view. Darla followed by the twins turned right at the junction slowing to wait for the two bikes to join them.
She followed by Abs rammed the kick starts down and joined the traffic waiting for the lights governing the near-side lane to change. When they had turned green Darla, the twins and the two bikes accelerated down the main road passing some high-class hotels, more trendy shops and a couple of more upmarket clothing department stores. Along with lots of shops which sold many other things people wanted to buy. They moved to the centre lanes as these were high speed traffic lanes.
After driving for about three-and-a-half miles along the main road zipping past the junctions on the centre lanes the group approached the secondary road junction they wanted. As the main road turned north Darla indicated and took the junction. They continued onwards towards the coast. After two and a half miles IC1 passed overhead on it’s flyover. IC1 was the main inner city ring road, it stretched for 420miles an completely ringed the city. They continued on until it too turned sharply south. At this junction Darla indicated right and turned onto the minor road that led down towards the sea. She drove down it for a short distance where she turned right onto another minor road that led to a couple of expensive looking 20-storey apartment blocks. Where she turned into the short term car bays of the one nearest the sea and parked up.
When everyone else had parked she said, “Come up if you want its going to take about half an hour to find the item I need to get.” She then turned to Angel and Damieel and said to them, “Go and get the freshly-dried Cambar you two.”
They both said, “Yes Mistress,” and disappeared back down the minor road on foot.
Nibs quietly asked Sandra, “Where’s those two going?”
“They are going to one of the houses on the street, the owner works at command. He grows and dries Cambar for the local Gangrels to use. The Gangrels have hydroponics centres here, at ours and quite a few other sites around the city. Close on 60 maybe 70% of all the Gangrel units smoke in some form,” replied Sandra.
“Ok.” She thought, ‘Bloody hell! I wonder how many members the Gangrels have.’
Darla walked up to the front door, removing a credit card from her purse, and swiped it through a card reader hung beside the door; she heard a click as the door unlocked. Darla pushed it open and allowed everyone to enter; she then wandered over to the front desk to sign everyone in. The guy sat behind the desk looked up and smiled as Darla left the desk. She then led everyone to the lift block and pressed the call button.
“Must be expensive this Darla?” she asked as the sounds of the lift approaching came from beyond the metal door.
“It is, but my mum and dad invested a lot of money into the world stock market and this is paid for with the returns, and I still have quite a bit left over to live on plus the allowance from the work the Vixens do,” responded Darla.
When the lift arrived all five girls walked in and Darla pressed the button for the twelfth floor, the lift travelled up to the sixth floor where the doors opened. Stood outside on the landing was a mother and toddler in a push chair who asked, “Going down?”
“No, up,” Darla responded.
“Ok, thanks,” said the mother.
The lift continued to the twelfth floor where the doors opened. Darla led the way to her apartment, where she used the same card to open the front door. She walked in followed by the rest of the group.
“Make yourselves at home everyone,” Darla said
The apartment was plush and expensive looking. Deep purple carpet covered the floor, dark red drapes covered most of the walls, around two sides of the living room were floor-to-ceiling windows, and through them the Toraz (Tor-as) Sea was visible. Overlooking the sea directly was a large balcony with a table and four chairs. In the main room were three two-seater sofas and a couple of armchairs. Exiting from the living room were five doors, one led to a large kitchen where Darla was sorting out drinks. In the middle of the sofas and armchairs was a low coffee table with a glass top, beneath the glass top was a shelf on which were a few magazines. Next to the door on the north wall nearest to the balcony was a large projector screen, and beneath it was a cabinet which contained an expensive-looking stereo system.
Tina got up and opened the door nearest the one they had entered the living room by, which revealed a bathroom, from what she could see the floor was a marble-effect lino. The kitchen had similar effect but looked like lockboards. Darla came back into the living room carrying a tray with tall cups on, each one steaming. She placed them on the coffee table and took one herself. Darla then went through the door opposite the balcony, which revealed a smaller room lit by dim lights. She could be heard rummaging around in the room only to re-appear empty handed, and looking rather annoyed.
“What’s up Darla, lost something?” asked Abs.
“Not lost, Abs, misplaced, yeah.” answered Darla.
“What you misplaced?” asked Tina as she came out of the bathroom.
“A copy of VPM,” answered Darla.
“VPM?” Nibs sipped the coffee and turned her head to look at Darla. “Do you mean Virtual Plan Maker?”
“Yeah version 7. I acquired a full working copy, I’ve been meaning to bring it over to yours for ages, just never got round to it.”
“I wouldn’t worry Darla I run VPM version 8. I’ve got a cracked copy and the disk image of the original on my 60-teragig hard drive. Along with a hell of a lot of other software and music,” she said.
“Ok,” said Darla, “It just looks like we are waiting on the twins to arrive then. What other software you got Nibs?”
“Loads, about half that drive are various software packages ranging from the latest Black Office to the standard office suites every computer has installed and about ten teragigs is music I’ve either downloaded, copied or been given,” she said and took another sip and then placed the cup back on the table.
“Ten terabytes of music. Hell that’s a lot,” Tina said. “Like what?” Tina picked up her cup and took a mouthful. After replacing it she took out her tin and rolled a Cambar cigarette.
“Pretty much most genres except the current CHM supported crap, a lot of good rock, Hatal, gothic, dark beat to name some.”
“Why have you not put that drive on the network?” Sandra demanded looking unhappy.
“I’ve not had the time to do so; it’s not as easy as you may think to do. For one, both drives are hot-swappable and need to have the bays actually put into a base unit. Then I need to run the security access software that is only on my tablet.”
“Security access software?” asked Tina after she had lit and taken a draw from the Cambar cigarette.
“Yeah I have two hard drives, a 60-teragig and a 30. Both are encrypted under three levels of 2048-bit encryption. The software allows authorized users to have unimpeded access to both drives.”
“2048-bit encryption. I thought that level was internationally illegal,” said Abs.
She just smiled and nodded, “Yes it is, Abs, it’s totally illegal, but when you have an offline copy of three BlackNet forum and news sites it’s kind of vital that they are protected. A couple of Ghosts from South Aticca asked me to look after the offline backup of the sites. I get the backup updates once a month. They supplied me with the security access software and encryption. Without knowing the administrator password, of which there are only four, I have one which is forty characters long, you can’t update the backups. It’s a part of the GhostNet’s security system, and the software requires you to change the password every couple of months.”
“Damn you must be respected in the Ghost community,” said Tina.
“No I’m not, I’m an unknown and that’s what protects the data. No one except the backup software, the administrators, and those include the two ghosts who asked me, know I even have a copy of it. It’s the system that the GhostNet and BlackNet uses to protect itself from corporate intrusion.” Nibs took a sip of coffee and put the mug back on the table. “If a corporation was able to take the main servers down it would be a massive blow to the community. To protect against that BlackNet and GhostNet has at least five back-up servers all with multi thousand core fibre optic data links to the main Net dotted throughout the world, and no one knows where all five are located. It is rumoured, and I mean rumoured that the Academy has one backup server. I have no idea if that’s right or wrong. It’s the one thing that the Street Ghosts like to keep is independence from all outside corporate influence, the only corporations that are respected are the Echo Tech and the ATEC ones. Remember this, Street Ghosts are independent, they work for whoever they want to, not the people or corps that offer the most money or best perks. You get the odd few, but they are normally salaried to a corporation or have a stripend paid by a few.”
“Yeah, that is very much like the Gangrels in respects. We only work for those who we respect and like,” said Sandra and had nods of agreement from all present.
After ten minutes of chatting, the door from the corridor opened and in walked Angel and Damieel carrying a couple of small rucksacks and smoking Cambar cigarettes. They had happy smiles on their faces, as usual. She just shook her head slightly and smiled wondering, ‘why do they never seem to look down or disappointed.’
“No problems I hope, you two,” said Darla.
“No,” they both said, “He already had it bagged and ready for pickup.”
“That’s good to hear,” replied Darla, “When everyone’s finished their drinks let’s depart for Home Base.”
“Yeah let’s,” said Sandra and Tina together.
After everyone had finished the drink, they all got ready to leave. Darla was the last to leave; checking to make sure the lock had fired to secure her apartment. “Someone going to ring Paul to tell him we are on our way?” said Darla.
Upon reaching the lift lobby, Darla pressed the call button. After the bell had sounded, the doors opened to reveal three people already in it so everyone crowded in and travelled down to the ground floor where the seven friends got out, and left the remaining three people going on down to the underground car park.
As the group walked through the lobby the security guard was stood outside smoking a cigarette, smiled at them as the approached the door. She operated the push handle to open the doors, and let everyone out then followed them out into the early evening.
When the group had exited, the guard asked, “You having a late one tonight?”
“Probably Derick. Did the twins give you your stash?” responded Darla.
“Yeah they did, this stuff is nice. Have fun then.”
All the girls climbed on their bikes and slammed the kick-starters down. The kick start lever’s internal servos boosted the action which fed fuel vapour into the cylinders, sent the charge from the battery to the spark plugs which fired and forced the pistons down which began the cycle.
Sandra’s voice came over the communication system saying, “Everyone hear me?”
“Yes,” came the reply from everyone.
“Which route, IC3 or IC1?” asked Tina.
“IC1 until North Stevran then the main road from it to West Docks Arch Bridge, then via Central Down town,” said Darla, “It’s the route I normally use to yours.”
“Ok,” said Tina.
Darla pushed her 850 Karzak back, closely followed by Abs with Tina riding pillion, then Angel, still carrying the rucksack, operated the stick shift for her motor-trike and reversed it out. Damieel followed suit on her motor-trike, then she pushed Sandra’s motor-bike back and followed the others heading for IC1.
Very soon all the motor-bikes and motor-trikes were accelerating up the onramp of IC1. As she approached 60 kilometres per hour she noticed the auto-gyro had been disengaged, she then re-engaged the auto-gyro, which would make sure that if and when she had to corner at the speeds she would be doing, it would not over lean and send both her and Sandra all over the IC.
“Darla how far before we exit the IC?” she asked over the comm. system.
“32 miles roughly,” came the reply.
The bikes sped down the IC approaching speeds of 100 to 120 miles per hour, and weaving through the slower moving cars. A few times using the side of the IC where broken-down cars were supposed to go and wait for pickup by the breakdown companies. As they entered Beeches District. ‘This is fun,’ she thought glancing down at the speedometer and saw it was reading 110mph. She also noticed the fuel gauge was just on the red area. “Sandra, the fuel is getting low,” she said over the communication system.
“Ok hun,” came her reply.
“Actually mine too,” said Abs.
“Ok it’s not far to IC1 Beeches Services where we can stop and fill up,” said Darla in response to the fuel issues.
Very quickly they saw the sign indicating services up ahead. As all the bikes were in the outside lane they all indicated to cross the IC, so they could feed into the services off-ramp. They slowed as they passed the fast-food place and swung off into the fuel-station where both Abs and her stopped either side of one pump.
Sandra climbed off, gave her a quick kiss and said, “Fill it.”
“Ok,” she said and climbed off, opened the fuel cap, then asked over the communication system, “What fuel?”
“High Performance hun,” came the reply which she selected by grabbing the nozzle from the pump. Then she inserted it into the tank and pulled the trigger which started the pump. On the other side, Abs was doing the same. Tina was stood looking at her smiling.
She tried to guess the reason, but came up with too many answers.
“Great isn’t it, hitting 120-plus miles per hour and knowing that you aren’t going to loose control of the bike,” said Abs.
“Tell me about it,” she replied, then after the trigger clicked back off a few times she replaced it in the slot on the pump, then replaced the fuel cap and climbed back on, kick-started the bike and joined Darla at the side of the fuel kiosk.
When Sandra had returned after paying for both bikes fuel she joined her riding pillion and said, “You are doing great out there.”
“Thanks hun,” she replied and, as the rest of the group accelerated, she also accelerated and rejoined the road that would lead them back to IC1. Very quickly all the bikes were again weaving through the traffic.
She asked over the communication system, “Darla, where’s the twins?”
“Coming behind us driving trikes, they haven’t got the ability to weave like we have. They’ll catch us up later. They’ll continue on IC1 until CW4 starts and then they’ll cut across and more than likely arrive at a similar time to us.”
“Ah, ok,” she replied, smiled, accelerated and indicated to go into the outside lane, checking the rear-view mirrors as she did. She swung the bike into the outside lane and passed a two-trailer road-train, who sounded its horn as Sandra and her zipped past. Both of them smiled and Sandra stuck her fist into the air in a return salute to the trucker who she saw smiling in the rear-view mirror as she indicated to swing back into the middle lane. After ten kilometres Darla indicated to cross into the nearside lane for the upcoming exit, both Abs and her did the same, and joined Darla in the inside lane. As they left IC1 all three bikes began to slow as the approached the traffic lights at the end of the off-ramp.
After the lights had changed and the group had turned onto the bridge over the IC she looked down onto the IC, as they crossed the bridge and saw six low-loader vehicle transports all carrying wheeled armoured personal carriers heading south. She thought, ‘interesting they aren’t painted in military green and whose logo is that on the side of the tractors.’
“You see the low-loader convoy that just passed us under us on the IC hun?” she asked Sandra as they slowed for the set of lights on the opposite side of the bridge.
“No, I didn’t love,” replied Sandra.
“Yeah, six low-loader vehicle transports, all carrying what looked like military grade, wheeled armoured personal carriers.”
“Heading which way?” asked Sandra.
“South and before you say, I don’t think they were heading for the military base on the banks of the Stevran, they weren’t painted military green.”
“Now that’s interesting.”
“Yeah I saw them as well,” said Darla, “I can’t identify the logo on the tractor cabs though.”
“Nor can I Darla,” she responded.
As the lights turned green all three bikes accelerated, passing nice-looking apartments on both sides of the main road. Heading in the opposite direction drove two city police vehicles, lights flashing and sirens blaring. After an unknown amount of time driving, the traffic slowed as they approached a secondary road junction. From what she could see it was a traffic jam caused by the time of day and the shift change in West Docks.
Darla’s voice came over the communication system, “Right at the secondary road ahead and head for the Triple Suspension Bridge.”
“Ok,” replied both Abs and Nibs as they indicated right, and as soon as they reached the junction, they turned and accelerated down the secondary road.
Some of the shops caught her eye as interesting places to checkout for technology and odd bits she needed in a couple of planned tools to help her in cracking security systems. They also passed a couple of large vehicle factories, the first, located on the south side of the road, owned by Suraban Motors the vehicle manufacturing subsidiary of Forden Incorporated and the other on the north side by DYM Ground. The lots outside the factories were packed with new cars awaiting distribution to dealers and franchises. Out of DYM Ground came a vehicle carrier carrying twelve small Hasda style cars, which turned right and headed for West Docks. The driver looked rather annoyed as she passed the girls, but she did smile and wave.
As the bikes approached the main road which would lead them to the Triple Suspension Bridge, the sky was becoming overcast with dark clouds rolling in from the south west. As the amount of light dropped the overhead lights started to flicker on and more and more cars switched their headlights on. All three bikes switched their headlights from sidelights to main beam, and turned left across the main road, as the lights that would have stopped them changed to red, and accelerated down the main road towards the Triple Suspension Bridge.
As its name suggested, the bridge had three towers, whose top were close to a thousand meters tall. Running between each tower were two massive continuous cables that had smaller cables coming from it which actually supported the roadway high enough in the middle to allow the biggest container ships to pass easily underneath. At its highest point the road was 450 meters above the river. The entire bridge was painted white and looked impressive. As the girls approached the northern toll gates all three bikes slowed and stopped in the queue that was waiting to pass. After about a minute Darla paid for all three bikes, and when the bar had lifted all the bikes accelerated down the short distance of flat road before the road began to slowly rise. After half a mile the four feet wide suspension cables appeared from the multi thousand tonne concrete bases and then the north bank of the river disappeared in almost a sheer cliff, below was a small tidal silt beach. As the bikes passed through the first of the support towers one of the massive super container ships was passing on the north side of the central tower, heading out of West Docks towards the Toraz Sea. Overhead were two city police copters, one heading over the river from the south side and the other was hovering on the south side of the middle tower.

*****

The twins, driving within the speed limits in the outside lane of IC1, passed a convoy of ten low-loaders each carrying a wheeled armoured personal carrier, coming onto the IC from the junction that served the city’s North Airfield and port.
After a while the twins passed the junction where the rest of the girls left IC1, and continued on towards the IC1 tunnel that passed under the river at its mouth. They knew that barring major hold-ups, it would take about another 40 minutes to an hour to reach home base.
As the twins approached the toll booths that marked the northern reaches of the IC tunnel they indicated and crossed into the fast lane, as Darla had paid for them to have twenty journeys through the tunnel and they had still another 12 on the current ticket. They saw the six low-loaders that Nibs and Darla had seen as they left IC1 passing through the toll gates dedicated to trucks and similar.
Damieel said to Angel over their communication system, “Mention the low-loaders to Mistress when we next see her.”
“Yeah, that’s what, 16 low-loaders, all carrying the same wheeled APCs,” replied Angel as she passed the toll gate and slowed to wait for Damieel to pass. When she had, both of them accelerated and entered the tunnel. After about two kilometres of tunnel they exited and saw four vehicle low-loaders with the same logos as the other low-loaders parked up in the long term car park to the east of the IC, this time carrying no APCs.
Damieel thought, ‘Strange.’ “Angel, let’s pull off at the next junction and wait for the low-loaders we saw on the north side of the river to pass and follow them to their destination. I want to know where they are going; with those four it makes twenty vehicle carriers all with the same logo on the tractor side. I think something major is being planned.”
“Yeah I think you may be right, and Mistress did say if we see something out of the ordinary we are to try and locate either the source or destination.”
“That she did.”
The twins pulled off the IC at the next junction and waited for the low-loaders to pass under them; they then accelerated and rejoined the IC about six cars behind the last low-loader. The twins kept their distance so as not to alert the drivers that they were being followed, as they took the junction at the start of CW7. They continued to follow the vehicles until they left CW7, turned left, and as the low-loaders turned left towards Wacker Incorporated city headquarters, the twins continued to drive along the main road until they reached the end where they headed for Home Base.

*****

The five girls continued on the main road after the Triple Suspension bridge until they reached the main road that they would have been on if they had taken West Docks Arch Bridge. Here they turned right and followed the main road, until it became a secondary road. They continued on until it finished at a T-junction where they turned left and headed for Home Base.

*****

Upon arrival at Home Base Nibs saw Darla was looking worried. “I wonder where the twins are,” said Darla sounding rather concerned.
“Probably got held up in traffic,” said Tina as she climbed off her bike.
Nibs and Sandra followed Abs and Tina in climbing off. Abs then walked to the garage door and opened it. Tina who was close behind pushed her bike along with Sandra pushing hers and Darla pushing hers into the garage and parking them of the main stands.
When all three were out of the garage Abs closed and locked the door. “The Twins do have a key for the garage, don’t they Darla?”
“I think so, they can always come and get one from us if the don’t.”
“That’s true. That reminds me,” said Abs, “We need to get a set sorted out for Nibs.”
“True we do,” said Sandra as she led the group up the steps to the front door.
When Sandra had opened it and walked in she saw Paul look up from the computer saying, “Hi, you’re back early?”
“Yeah we know, but we have had an interesting job offer,” said Sandra.
“Oh, what is it?” asked Paul and he turned around to face the girls as they sorted them selves out jackets and pistols wise.
She took Sandra’s and Darla’s jacket and shoulder holster rigs. She walked into the corridor and hung Darla’s jacket and shoulder holster rig up behind the door. She then entered the bedroom and hung hers and Sandra’s up.
Her improved hearing easily overhearing the conversation in the living room, “Raid a corporate site and steal an assault rifle and plans,” continued Sandra.
“Oh, interesting.”
“Yeah, so is the money on offer for the job,” said Tina as she filled the peculator jug to start making some coffee. “Coffee anyone?” asked Tina, as she refilled the filter after emptying the used one and switched the peculator on after returning the filter.
When she had returned she was closely followed by Abs who had taken hers and Tina’s jackets. She looked around and saw Sandra was loading the big house water-pipe. After finishing she took one of the flexible pipes, and was joined by Abs as she went over the back of the sofa. Sandra lit her lighter and the two sucked hard, smiles spread across both of their faces, as the smoke had the desired effect. She joined them on the sofa, grabbed the third tube, sucked and got a hit from it from the trapped smoke.
Paul took the Cambar cigarette from the ash tray next to the computer, stood up and wandered over to the other three-seater sofa and asked, “How much money is on offer for the job?”
“Five million plus a million bonus minimum,” she said in response to Paul’s question.
“You are, kidding. Aren’t you,” came Paul’s response.
“No we are not,” she said smiling, she also took out her PDU and powered it up. When it had finished booting she opened NetViewer and checked Nick’s two personal NetMail accounts. One was for Nick’s old feminine persona and her old main account for Nick. She had a few journals emailed to these accounts rather than her GhostNet account.
“Shit, Gary’s at training this evening, and has a few errands to run for his father tomorrow,” said Paul.
“Any idea how long the errands will take him tomorrow?” asked Abs.
“He thinks most of the morning, but he should be free in the afternoon.”
“Ah, right, we can do some research in the morning and I have a few jobs to do anyway, like secure the network and install my drives so we can get to my research work, which may prove useful and as is my right as a holder of a full Street Ghost Licence, to upgrade the associate status of the Vixens to a full Street Ghost Team,” Nibs said.
Everyone looked at her in astonishment at her statement.
“Don’t you remember me saying I was thinking of going into freelance work?”
“Yeah I do,” said Paul.
“Yeah I had a job offer from Damien Cameron, leader of the Cameron Raiders when I had finished college.”
“Were you going to accept?” asked Sandra.
“I don’t know, it was dependent on the corporate offer which I was highly likely to get at the end of my college course which was almost certainly to be either something computer-related or an electronics based course.”
“How come you hold a full licence though? You’re only the same age as us,” asked Paul.
“Cameron Raiders. I was advertising my services as a freelance home security consultant and was contacted by a Damien Cameron; he asked me if I would test the security system in his home. From the initial survey, I found a couple of weak spots and then when I did break in, I found five major problems in his house’s overall security grid.” Nibs took her tin out and rolled a Cambar cigarette, “I then wrote a report on the security grid and as my normal working practice, I offered to upgrade it at five decks per hour plus the cost of parts. He accepted my offer, and when I turned up to start the upgrade that’s when we met for the first time, up to that point we had been emailing each other. After the upgrade job was finished he asked a couple of his friends, both experienced ghosts, to try and crack the new security system. They failed before they even got into the house, and it was at that point he offered to employ me as a researcher, he also introduced me to the rest of his team. Most of which I still keep in 'semi' contact with, I should email them very soon and let them know I am about to start in the biz. After the job he employed me for finished, some of the team just dropped off the face of the planet bar email, but they all said if they ever work in Suraban or where ever I was at college, they would contact me and if I was old enough offer me work as a full Street Ghost.”
Tina got up and went to sort out the coffees. Sandra, who had rolled a Cambar Cigarette offered it to Nibs who showed her hers.
Nibs then continued, “My job with the Raiders was to conduct site assessments, background financial research and all manner of other tedious tasks, which I had already been doing for a couple of years, hence how I met the two from Ne-U-bar, and be an extra set of eyes on the outside when the raid which they where planning went down.” Nibs took another draw and expelled the smoke, “One of Damien’s team was so impressed by my work he offered to upgrade my associate status to a full license and he also gave me a gift, namely an experimental tablet computer, ultra-limited issue, only seven tablets of this spec existed as of that time, and I don't think that number has gone up. The guy also said that when the time was right he had another gift for me. God knows how he got hold of the tablet, and I don’t care. The company that made it produces a Dual processor version for general sale, but not the triple-processor version I was given, the guy said he had stolen a couple whilst on a mission he had done before he met me.” She then picked up the mug and took a sip of coffee that Tina had placed on the coffee table in front of the group, and continued, “he left the Raiders just after the mission was completed, but he did say to me to keep my eyes and ears open, and that he would be in contact again when the time was right. He emailed me a couple of months later and asked me to do some research into a target his current team were planning to kidnap, that’s the last time I heard from him. My listing on GhostNet says full Street Ghost brackets associate until I am 18, and my birthday is just under a month away, but I have all the privileges associated with having a full ghost license, e.g. I can sponsor associates so they can upgrade their licenses to full licenses, and if I wanted I could be employed as a full Street Ghost.”
“Hell, you really are a person of many different aspects,” said Sandra who gave her a kiss on the forehead and snuggled down into her arm.
“That I do agree with, sis,” said Paul, “nevertheless you are still very welcome, and I think you may give the Vixens an edge we didn’t have before.”
She noticed the evil grin that spread across Paul’s face.
“Does anyone have any problem with me inserting my drives and upgrading the network here?” she asked.
“No, I have no problem with you doing it. I had planned to but never got around to it,” said Paul. Tina also nodded her approval to her request
“You want some help with it hun?” asked Sandra.
“Yeah, ok,” she replied, “You can start by getting me my two small rucksacks please, and be careful with them.”
She went over to the computer and sat down in front of it. She then minimized all the open display planes, opened the control plane. She then selected and opened the icon that brought up the list of items in the systems. A quick view of the main system told her what the system currently had a Digital Data Drive (DDD) drive, one 5 tera-gig high speed platter drive. The graphics card was good, the sound card was not bad, but it could have been better. Sandra returned carrying both the rucksacks she had requested.
She asked, “Paul, you need anything saved before I install the drives?”
“No, do what you need to, oh, Sarah says she hopes you enjoyed the Harliquanis Mall?” Paul replied.
“I did thanks.” She then turned off the base unit, and only when it had finished the shut down did she kneel down so she could pull the base unit out. Sandra also knelt looking into the rucksacks after she had placed them both beside her. She opened the one that contained her various tool wallets, and removed a small tool wallet. She opened it and removed one of the cross headed screwdriver bits and heads along with a ratchet handle which she used to remove the screws that held the computer's cover on. When the case was undone she removed it completely and placed it beside the computer desk. She then removed two of the front panels and the metal panelling which was located just behind. When she had removed the front panels and the metal, she opened the other rucksack and took out the two drive bays, both of which were connected by a data cable and a power splitter.
“What are you doing hun?” asked Sandra.
She looked at Sandra’s face which was one of being very interested in what she was doing and how she did it. “Checking the position of the port where I will be plugging the data cable into.”
“Ok. What is in the other bags and wallets?”
“Various items I have bought, acquired or constructed.” She then undid the two screws that had held then in her old computer, she then slid the two complete drive bays into the open bays on the computer. When the drive bays were fully in, she inserted the screws into the newly-installed bays, and she then screwed them both up tight so the bays wouldn’t come out. After they were secured in the computer she connected the power splitter into one of the free power cables that hung from a silver box located at the back and top of the computer. “This cable provides the drives with power.” After making sure that the data cable would reach the position on the main circuit board and not be taught, she pushed the data cable into the free slot and made sure that it too would not come out by accident.
“What is that?” asked Sandra and she pointed at the graphics card.
“That’s the graphics card, and the card just beneath is the sound card.”
“I know which one is the graphic and sound, but that one I’m not sure about.” Sandra then pointed at the third one right at the bottom of the computer case.
“That one is a wireless router card. The computer acts as the house’s fire wall against outside intrusion.” She then placed the cover back on and secured it to the case. After which she returned it to the hole where she had removed it from. Making sure it was home and secured along with checking all the cables were still in place, she then pressed the power button on the front of the case. “Hun can you press the Escape key please.”
“No worries,” replied Sandra and she did just that.
She went into the rucksack she had taken the drives from and removed one of the black padded bags, opened it and took out the entire tablet computer and its recharge bay. She found a spare plug, then plugged in the power cable and pressed the power button, which switched the tablet on. She left it whilst it booted up and took a look at the LCD screen of the main computer and sat down in front of it. As she was looking at the main computer’s screen she said to Sandra, “If you want get the Laptop out and power it up. It should automatically scan for the wireless router card. I wouldn’t do anything for a bit after that.” She then pressed the enter button, and the screen changed to show a list of the basic system hardware that included the original 5 tera-gig drive, a DDD, keyboard and all the other basic computer things that were plugged into the main circuit board. She then scrolled down using the arrow keys to where the drives were displayed, and, on the two secondary drive entries, selected Auto Scan. She then pressed the escape key which took the screen back to the first screen. She then, again using the arrow keys, scrolled to the third option, ‘Drive Options’ and pressed enter, the screen changed to display the various drive options. Again using the arrow keys, she scrolled down to where it said Drive 3 and changed it from ‘Hard-Installed’ to ‘Hot Swap’, and did the same to Drive 4 entry. She then returned to the first menu, selected the Save-and-Exit option and pressed enter. The computer then underwent a complete reboot and started to load the operating system.
When the operating system had loaded the screen displayed a wolf’s head and surrounding it was the words ‘The Bitch Vixens’. The front door opened and the twins walked in carrying the bags containing the clothes she had bought earlier.
After the twins had placed the bags by the door leading to the bedrooms, Angel said, “Mistress, we have some information that may be useful.”
“Oh. What?” Darla asked.
The twins then told Darla everything they had seen en-route to Home Base.
“Yes, that may prove useful, if not to us but to others,” Nibs responded to the twins’ explanations. She then turned back to the LCD screen, opened the drive browser and checked the new drives still worked, and had been picked up by the computer and operating system. she then reached over, unclipped the tablet from it’s recharge bay, picked it up, and using the stylus which she took from it’s hole, opened the network options screen. She then selected Detect new networks in the area button. “Hun can you open the NetViewer and,” Nibs paused for thought for a few seconds and continued, “go to Favorites and select Black Net Mail Server, and tell me how many new messages I have?”
“Ok.”
As the detection progress had finished. She placed the tablet down on her lap, and turned to the house’s computer and selected the main drive; selected properties which she then changed to network read/write and clicked ‘Apply new settings’.
She picked up the tablet, then selected with the stylus, the house network, and pressed the screen with her finger, which operated the ok button and connected the tablet with the house network. She then highlighted SecurityAccess.tgz and copied it to the main computer’s main drive, when the file had finished copying, she then went to the main computer selected the file and it ran. The file opened into a new window, where she selected the extract option and let the file extract to its own directory. While the files were being extracted, she listened to the conversation that was happening around the coffee table.
“Does anyone know if Tom is a sub or of that inclination?” asked Darla.
“I think he may be,” replied Abs.
“Mm,” responded Darla, “It may be fun to train a male. I’ve not had a man and I know I’m bi and I also know that the twins would enjoy helping.” She saw Darla look at the twins who to her mind smiled even more, it seemed.
Both Angel and Damieel said, “It would be lots of fun Mistress.”
“Does anyone know his phone number?”
She leant over and whispered in Sandra’s ear, “Tom would love it.”
“I bet he would. Have you got his number?”
“I have,” she said and she took out her PDU, then opened the phone book and selected G. when the page was loaded she selected Tom, which opened the contact page and she then passed it to Darla.
Darla looked surprised when she passed the PDU over. Only when Darla had looked at the screen, did she realised what she was doing, “Thanks Nibs.” Darla copied his phone number into her phone and passed the PDU back to her.
“How many emails?” Nibs asked Sandra.
“None, hun,” replied Sandra.
“Ok.” She then went back to the computer and double clicked the main installer program which brought up the install screen. She clicked next and typed in her 40-character alphanumeric password and hit the enter button. This action took the installer to the next screen, showing the progress bar and which files where being copied, at some points lots of various files were being copied, at others only one file which took a few seconds to copy and install. After the progress bar had finished the computer automatically rebooted itself. When it had finished rebooting she opened the 60 tera-gig drive in the drive browser and double clicked the file named NetworkSecurity.com, it would be this program that secured the network from outside access. She knew how long it took securing the network at her old home. This computer is no where near the speed she had access to, it would take a while to run as it would secure each and every port on the entire system, and would also scan the area for known units and secure those too. Nibs spoke over the general conversation, “Drinks anyone?”
“Yeah thanks,” almost everyone replied.
She got up and walked into the kitchen, refilled the coffee peculator and made a fresh pot of coffee.
After the network security had finished, she turned off the computer and placed the tablet on standby in its cradle and joined everyone around the coffee table chatting, which went on until the early hours of the morning.
Around 2-ish everyone said night and headed for their respective beds. As Abs, Tina, Paul, Nibs and Sandra left the living room Darla dragged out the Sofa bed and dug out the bedding from under the other sofa.
Nibs and Sandra undressed, and they both climbed into bed and fell into a sound happy sleep, dreaming pleasant dreams that night.
Chapter 11 — The Researching

In the morning she woke and found Sandra had already gotten up, on the bedside table was a freshly rolled Cambar cigarette which she picked up, lit and inhaled a couple of draws from. She then got up and looked at the clock which read 12:47BN. She realised that she must have needed the sleep; it was not like her to sleep for that long.
She walked out and crossed the corridor to the bathroom. After finishing in the bathroom she walked into the living room and found Tina and Paul sat at the breakfast bar reading one of the daily papers. Darla was sat at the computer looking at a net page. The twins, Sandra and Abs were nowhere to be seen.
”Where’s Sandra?” she asked when she had walked in.
“Out back with the twins and Abs, combat training.”
“No we’re not,” said Sandra as she, Abs and the Twins walked into the living room via the bedroom corridor, sweaty after their workout.
“You should have woken me, hun. I also need to practice,” she said to Sandra who gave her a kiss on the lips.
“Ok, sorry, but you looked so peaceful I thought it better to leave you than wake you.”
“Thanks, I needed it,” she responded. “Any reports of the APCs moving to Wacker Inc?”
“No. None at all, which is strange, an occurance like the one the Twins described would likely bring the news crews,” said Tina.
“Coffee Nibs?” asked Abs.
“Yeah thanks,” she replied and picked up the laptop, which was sat on the coffee table. She sat on the sofa against the wall, opened the laptop screen and pressed the power button. After the laptop had booted, she opened NetViewer and selected the Black Net Mail Server page, logged in and found no new emails. She then selected the link to the mail options page so she could sort out the redirects. After that was don, she then created another copy of NetViewer and using the same log-in she created a new Full Street Ghost ID for Nibola Calton and placed her old account into the not active list. She thought, ‘The next job of the day would be to sort out the rest of the Vixens and their ghost statuses.’
Abs brought her, her coffee and plonked herself down on the other sofa, Sandra wandered over and sat down beside her and looked at the laptop screen.
“What you doing hun?” Sandra asked.
“Just sorting out Nibs’ Street Ghost net account and redirecting Nick’s emails to Nibs’ account.” After She had finished her coffee she realised she was starving, she hadn’t exactly eaten much since leaving home on Frodar and it was the following Ulleam. “What have we got for food?” she asked.
“Take a look in the cupboards hun,” replied Sandra.
With this statement, she got up and walked into the kitchenette and opened the first cupboard above the work surface. She found a few tins of general food; she then went from cupboard to cupboard and found some good things to eat. Saucepans and other such items were in the cupboard left of the cooker; to the right were plates, bowls, knives, forks, and spoons. “I hope no one minds me cooking something?” she asked, “because I am hungry. I know I haven’t exactly eaten since dinner on Frodar evening before I left for the party.”
“Hell no,” said Tina, “I’ll give you a hand.”
“Angel, Damieel if either Nibs or Tina need something go to the shops for them.”
“Yes, Mistress.” Angel replied, Damieel nodded in agreement.
She opened the fridge which was under the work surface near the front door. In which she found sausages, bacon, eggs and other food items that needed to be kept cool. “Have we got a freezer Tina?” she asked.
“No we ain’t actually, why do you ask?”
“Bulk make and cook, then freeze for reheating later. It’s the one thing my mum did, was make lots of some things, divide it up, then bag and freeze it, so if either dad or me were too busy to cook something we always had stuff available in the freezer.
“Now that’s a good idea,” said Paul, “It’ll save on cooking at points.”
“What to make,” she said quietly to herself. “I know, sausage casserole,” she said after spending a few minutes looking and grabbing ingredients. “Who does the cooking normally?”
“Whoever can be bothered normally,” answered Abs.
“Angel, Damieel. Hang on, how well stocked is the local grocery store,” she asked.
“Depends on what you need or want?” answered Abs.
“Red split lentils,” she responded.
One of the group’s mobiles, all of them bar her PDU were sat with the rest on the mantel shelf above the fire place, started to play a song by Dark Hands, a well-known heavy rock band. Paul went and picked it up, looked at the screen and answered it, “Hi, Gary, What’s up?”
After a couple of seconds, Paul continued, “Ok, hang on. Do we need anything? Gary’s finished the errands.”
“Yeah we do,” said Sandra, “Bread, spread, basic food supplies.”
“Any technology magazines, business magazines, the latest computer trade papers. I don’t know the situation with computer consumables like printer supplies, blank DDDs and suchlike,” she said. “Suggestion; we’ll ring him back when we’ve been able to organise a list of things for the job research we need to do.”
“Did you hear Nibs, Gary,” said Paul into the mobile phone, and after a couple of seconds closed the top of the phone.
“Pizza I think,” suggested Sandra.
“Yeah, I think so, I’ll cook later,” she said and walked through the door leading to the bedrooms, and returned after about 30 seconds with her PDU and sat down on the sofa with the back to the wall. She tapped the screen with the stylus and asked, “Can someone tell me what the situation is with basic computer supplies like printer supplies, paper, and blank disks. I know my laptop and tablet can write DDDs, I also know I have none with me.”
“Darla, can you open the cupboard next to you and see how many DDDs we have and the paper situation,” Paul asked, “I know we have no printer toner,”
She tapped the PDU screen, then entered zero on the printer toner line of the list she was looking at. Darla opened the cupboard door and grabbed the small pile of paper and said, “This much paper,” and showed a small pile of plain paper, “and it looks like no DDDs at all.”
“Right,” she said, “can someone tell me Gary’s phone number. Can your computer write Rewritable DDDs or is it a write-once D drive?”
“I think it’s a write-once drive Nibs,” replied Paul.
Then Sandra walked in from the veranda and said, “Five various topped pizzas are on their way, they should be here in twenty minutes.”
“08842779266514 is Gary’s phone number,” Paul said reading directly from his mobile.
She typed it into the PDU which doubled as her mobile, saving it to the memory when it had been entered.
She was wearing a happy smile. It was one that she had gotten use to wearing. “Hi Gary, its Nibs.”
“Oh hi Nibs, can I take it this is your number?”
“Yeah it is. I’m going to text you what we need; can your phone receive thousand-character texts?”
“Yes it can, it’s a top of the range Digital Delta phone.”
“Excellent,” she said, “Hang on, I’m going to send the list and put you on speaker.”
“Ok,” responded Gary.
After tapping the screen, she sent the file and switched her PDU to speakerphone. “It’s sent.”
“Yeah I’ve got it,” Gary said. “Let me check it, ok, latest business and technology magazines. What is going on?”
“We’ve got a job offer yesterday and we are going to spend the afternoon looking into it.”
“Ok, give me an hour, hour fifteen to get these things and get to you. I’m currently in Wester Park District on CW8 and about to pass IC12, I’ll call into the local hypermarket just off the next main road junction and I’ll ring you when I’ve finished and give you an idea on my ETA.”
“Ok,” she said, “chat to you soon.” She then disconnected the PDU. “Can someone pass me my tablet and place my laptop on the coffee table pointing at the screen please?”
“Oh why?” asked Darla.
“Photos for your Street Ghost net page. All full licence holders need to have a photo. It’s a security check and allows for identification should something happen on a mission.”
Angel passed her, her tablet, which had been beside the computer and Sandra placed the laptop on the coffee table facing the screen. She turned the tablet on. “Who’s first for their photos?”
“I’ll go first,” replied Sandra.
“Stand in front of the screen,” she said when the tablet had finished its boot sequence and had loaded the remote control and viewer for the laptop’s inbuilt NetCam. She tapped the laptop screen a couple of times down to adjust the angle of the laptop screen was at. On both the tablet screen and laptop screen came an image of Sandra standing in front of a white background. The tablet also showed a box which surrounded Sandra’s head and upper shoulders. She then tapped the tablet and a click sound came from the laptop’s speakers as the photo was taken.
“Next,” she said and Paul stood in front of the screen and again the click was heard as the photo was taken. It took a couple of minutes for everyone to be photoed. She then sat back down on the sofa and logged into her Street Ghost net account. She then clicked the link to the create full Street Ghost page and entered her new log-in into the sponsor box and copied it so to save time when she created everyone’s account. “Ok everyone think of how you would describe yourself skills-wise, and how much experience you have had as Vixens and Gangrels.”
”Sandra, do you want to go first?”
“Ok, hun,” responded Sandra and took the tablet when she passed it to her.
“Also be honest. Yeah, that something else Street Ghosts don’t generally lie, and if they do theirs a reason why.”
After Sandra, Tina went next, and as Tina finished, a knock was heard from the front door. Angel walked over to it and opened it. Standing on the other side was the Pizza boy carrying five large pizza boxes, “Pizzas,” said the boy in a southern Deum accent.
“Yeah thanks,” said Sandra who walked over taking her purse out and opening it. “Keep the change.” Sandra took the pizza boxes, she then shut the door as the boy retreated down the steps and back to his motorbike at the end of the driveway.
Bring, bring, bring went Nibs’ PDU as Gary phoned, she switched the PDU to speaker and said, “Hi Gary.”
“I got what I can in the way of business and technology magazines and the rest of the stuff on the list. My ETA at home base is 50 minutes. The traffic on CW8 is hell and from the traffic reports so is IC12 and CW23 in places.”
“Ok we’ll see you when we see you then,” she said, “oh, think how you would describe yourself skills-wise and be honest with it. I’ll explain when you get here.”
“Ok, Nibs,” said Gary and turned off his phone.

*****

The traffic was slow moving from the Hypermarket junction to the IC12 junction with CW8. Gary was driving his father’s LTV (Light Transport Van) which was used to make deliveries in. In front of the van was a stream of nine large double-decker coaches.
After CW8 IC12 junction the traffic got a bit better and Gary made good time after he passed the coaches. That was until the IC3 IC12, over the River Stevran, junction, where the traffic slowed to almost dead slow, and continued until the CW1 IC12 junction, where it accelerated again. Gary’s face was one of anger at the driver’s rubber-necking at an accident that had happened on the other side of the central reservation. The rest of the journey wasn’t too bad after that. He made good time and was soon turning the van into the driveway at Home Base. He got out, grabbed the shopping from the passenger’s side, and then activated the central locking and alarm with the press of the button on the keys he carried. He shoved them into the inner pocket of his jacket. He climbed the steps and kicked the door. Damieel opened it and let him in.
“Hi Gary,” said Damieel.
“Hi guys,” he said and put the four carrier bags on the breakfast bar and grabbed a pizza slice from the nearest open box. “Explain what you meant by describe yourself skills-wise, Nibs?”

“Ah the last person to be upgraded from an associate to a full Street Ghost. Stand in front of the screen for your photo and I’ll create your Street Ghost net page,” Nibs replied.
Gary just looked at her, “How can you create a Street Ghost net page, you need to be a full Street Ghost to do that?”
“Yeah,” she replied, “I hold a Street Ghost licence and have done so for about six months.”
“How do you hold a Street Ghost licence?” asked Gary.
She then spent the next ten minutes explaining how she became a Street Ghost.
“You owe me five decks Darla,” said Paul after she had finished explaining things.
“I do at that.”
She realised that Paul and Darla had bet each other Gary would ask something along those lines and chuckled.
“In answer to your question before you ask it. It was almost word-prefect,” replied Darla to her unspoken question.
Very soon Gary was typing in his skills at the tablet, and smoking a Cambar cigarette Sandra had shoved into his mouth.
“Oh yeah, there’s beer and the other basic supplies in the rucksack,” said Gary as he finished typing.
She turned the laptop around to check the power levels. She walked to where the power cable was plugged in and unplugged it, she also grabbed the tablet recharge bay. She returned to the sofa where she plugged in both plugs and then connected power cable into the back of the laptop and sat the tablet on the recharge bay. She then stood up and took the carrier bags containing the computer supplies to the cupboard where Paul removed the old toner cartridge, then inserted the new one. He then turned the printer on and it automatically printed a test page. She then looked into the other bags and took out Business Week, which was one of the many magazines Gary had bought.
“What are you looking for hun?” asked Sandra taking Financial Accountant out.
“Anything out of the ordinary surrounding Narizzan Inc., news reports, technology reports regarding new assault rifles specifically, other than that general R&D information,” she replied.
Paul turned round on the chair in front of the computer asking, “Anything I can do Nibs?”
“Yeah, do a net search for Narizzan historical accounts for the last five years,” she replied. “Check the main Corporate Bank NetSite for big loans, share offers, as well for large fund transfers, generally look for anything out of the ordinary within the accounts. This is the one thing the Corporate Bank is strict on, the filling of proper financial reports and accounts. Most of the big corporations fill monthly accounts, normally one to one and a half months after the month has finished.”
“I would have thought that the corporations would keep that information as secret as possible?” Tina look up and at Nibs.
She could see Tina was wondering why.
“Very simple, the Corporate Bank was set up by Echo Tech Inc, Corporate Enterprises and ATEC to be a site where they could facilitate fast money transfers and also to provide a place where employees could have a bank account and not have to worry about money transfers and such. All three and all the subsiderary corporations already filled completed accounts to the World Government every month then, the World Government just move the reporting centre to the Corporate Bank as well as moved the whole of the financial crime unit to the bank as well.” Paul looked at her and said ‘sorry’ with his face. “Corporate history and politics are a major interest of mine.”
“Ok.”
“Anything the rest of us can do?” asked Tina.
“Just think we know who's the target, what do we not know? Remember the first rule of the Street Ghosts, ‘we work for who we want to, not who pays the most’. A lot of Street Ghosts are very strict on that rule.”
“Very true,” said Abs as she took out Battle Technology Monthly, and on the cover was a headline New Assault Carbine trialled with the Jarrzar Military.
“When as Street Ghosts you get a job, always know whose employing and why, as it may become important, as some corporations hate other corporations, corporate takeovers can give the Street Ghost community lots of work, but it can also cause lots of problems as well. Other information to find out is as much background as you can about the target, whos on the board, who runs security, any specialist security forces they have, basically you want to know everything you can about the target. Print and if you can photocopy everything you find. You want to make a dossier containing all the information about the Corporations, job and anything you thing that you think may be relevant. My drives have a lot of information on them about the corporations, who hates who, who is trying to buddy up to other corporations.
“My biggest problem lies with the money trail. Corporations don’t pay five million for an assault rifle unless someone is about to lose a major multi billion military contract over it. Just think when you wrote essays at High School, what did you do when researching it. This type of research is the same, look at all military companies that supply assault rifles, who do they supply, do R&D for, etc. find out which country military and Corporate forces are looking for a new assault rifles.”
Tina went into the bag and took out the Financial Week and opened it at the contents page. When Gary had finished his Street Ghost net page he put the tablet down, got up and said, “Drinks anyone?”
“Yes thanks Gary,” said Darla as she went to pick up the tablet, “Do you need to use the tablet Nibs?”
“Yeah I do, thanks Darla, I don’t need the laptop, so swap?”
“No worries,” Darla said as she passed the tablet to Nibs and took the laptop in return.
She put Business Week down and selected the BlackNet Security Forum site. Tina stooped and picked up the magazine and started to read the news stories in it. She logged in as requested. “I'll make a list of the useful NetPages to go and look at when researching, like BlackNet’s Security Forum, it has a list of every corporation and what security system they run as standard and if any of their sites have been upgraded and to what level.” She then opened the search page so she could run a search for Narizzan Inc’s current Street Ghost security rating, and to see if they were upgrading or had in the previous few months. The search brought back a few posts concerning the current security procedures at Narizzan’s Suraban sites, but it also brought back a rating of a high 6, which meant they were using a security system that included a few advanced systems. She opened one of the first posts, and a shocked expression crossed her face when she read high 6 with a security runner. “Mm, interesting,” she said under her breath. She clicked the post message button. this opened a new screen in which she typed a message asking, ‘How come a high 6 with a security runner, shouldn’t it be an 8 or higher. Nibola Calton.’, and posted it the board.

Darla went to the companies’ registrar to try and complete a paper trail trace of who owned Narizzan Inc. The screen opened which would allow her to run the search, into which she typed Narizzan Incorporated and pressed the enter button. After a few seconds, of the computer and net thinking and working, the screen displayed the result. It showed Narizzan was owned by a Mr and Ms Tuebacca. She then duplicated NetViewer, where she typed the net address of Zuban Persons search engine and ran a search for Mr Tuebacca which brought up no results, she also carried out a search for Ms Tuebacca. This search also brought back zero hits, the results surprised her, as 99.9999999% of all people existed in the world on some computer system or another. “Nibs, What person search engine do you normally use?”
“Zuban Persons normally, why?” asked Nibs.
“I’ve just run the name Tuebacca through Zuban and got zero hits.”
“That does surprise me, Tuebacca is not a common name, it could be a front name for some other group, flag it and print it. You could try a Datafox search. It searches all credit records forms. Most of the major corporations that offer credit use it and to a lesser extent Fu Credit services.”
“Ok.”

Gary returned to the sofas and placed a can of beer in front of everyone. He took out New Technology Monthly and sat down with a can in one hand, the magazine in the other. He placed the can on the floor, then lit the Cambar cigarette stuck in his mouth and opened the magazine to the contents page, “Do the magazines have an online achieves of back issues?”
“Normally yes they do,” replied Darla, “Why?”
“This one has a two-page update on an article about Naban wanting a new assault rifle for their military.”
“Does the article give an issue for the original article and what’s the net address?” asked Paul.
“Issue 2667 and the net address is net.NewTechMonthly.bis,” he replied.

Paul opened another copy of NetViewer and typed in the net address. The screen displayed the home page of New Technology Monthly. Paul selected the back issues link which brought up a list of the previous twenty years with a next page button at both the top and bottom of the page. “What’s the current issue number?”
“2717,” replied Gary.
“That’s just over two years,” he responded as he clicked the year then selected the correct issue. When then page containing the contents opened, Paul clicked on the article titled ‘Naban in need of new assault rifle’. A small pop-up screen opened that asked for a user name and password, “Feck. It needs a log-in to access the article.”
“Favourite the link to the article Paul,” said Nibs.
“Ok.” He then clicked the ‘Add To Favourites’ button then said, “Done.”

Quickly Nibs brought up the contents page and the login screen appeared when she clicked the article link. She opened FileViewer on the tablet and selected the 60-terabyte drive on the main computer. She then double clicked the directory called NetBackDoors. When the directory had displayed she double clicked BlackOffice which opened and ran the installer. When the installer asked for a directory to be installed to, she selected one of the temporary directories on the tablet.
“What you running sweet?” asked Sandra as she sat down beside her
“A package called BlackOffice; it’s a login cracker. In a couple of hours it will have cracked the login. It’s great at cracking magazine and journal sites, but that’s about it."
Bing bong with the tablet as a reply was posted to the Black Security forum board. She opened the new post, and after a quick read realised the writer was an experienced ghost. The name also ran a bell with her, “Tiamus, I know that name.” She the screwed up her face in concentration, “Where. Damn.” She put the tablet on the coffee table. “I’m going to get dressed.” With that, she got up and disappeared through the doorway leading to the bedrooms.

Sandra picked up the tablet and logged out of Nibs’ Street Ghost account and logged in to hers. She clicked the button that opened the active Street Ghosts search page and typed Tiamus in the search box and clicked the search button. After a few seconds the screen changed to display Tiamus’ Street Ghost net page. “Nibs have you ever heard of a group calling themselves Alpha Raiders?”
“Alpha Raiders!” exclaimed Nibs as she crossed the corridor heading of the bath room to wash and shave. “I spent two weeks working for that group, that’s where I know the name from,” said Nibs and appeared in the doorway. Three weeks after the Cameron Raiders job had finished Tiamus, who had given me the tablet, emailed me, and asked me to do some net research into a target he and his current team the Alpha Raiders were going to kidnap. That’s who it is. Email him back for me, and say hi from Nick and add my new name in brackets.”
“Oh, hun. One problem, I logged out of your account?”
“No problem, see the chat program in the background bring it to the front and click the envelope icon it should take you to my black net mail server.”

*****

Elsewhere in the city, a short dark haired woman sat in a nice apartment looking at a computer screen reading forum messages, until she came to one sent by Nibola Calton on a security rating issue concerning Narizzan Inc. “Hey guys, I may have something here. You know when Paul gave us the Narizzan Inc job he said that a second team were being employed to steal something from the same site?”
“Yeah,” said another woman, with her hair tied up in a high pony tail, sat in the room reading a journal on new battle equipment.
“Someone called Nibola Calton has posted a message concerning the Street Ghost security rating of Narizzan Inc.”
“Oh what is the current rating of Narizzan Inc?”
“A high 6 with a security runner, that does sound a bit off, I would have expected a high 8 maybe a mid 9.”
“Yeah, that’s generally what I would have guessed,” said another woman, with platted silver hair that stretched to her buttocks.
“Post a message back to them, and offer to exchange research on the target and email Nibola directly and ask her was she employed to steal something from the Narizzan Inc site, Bee.”
“Yeah, ok, Misty,” responded Bee.

*****

A Bing-bong sound came from the Tablet’s speakers. “Hun the tablet just made a strange noise.”
“Ok, was it a bing-bong type sound?” Nibs responded from the bathroom.
“Yeah,” she responded.
“And is one of the NetViewers flashing?”
“Yeah.”
“It’s a forum message, open the NetViewer that’s flashing and see who it’s from.”
“Ok.” Sandra clicked and opened the NetViewer that was flashing scrolling down to the message.
Nibs voice came from the doorway asking, “Who’s it from my love?”
“Someone called Bee. The message reads — ‘Do you want to exchange research on Narizzan Inc.”
Whoop-bing also came from the Tablet’s speakers, and from the bottom left a small box opened which said ‘email received from Bee91,Subj: Narizzan Inc.’
“Open it hun.” She heard Nibs leave the door way and head back towards the bathroom and bedroom.
She clicked on the box and another copy of NetViewer opened, loading the BlackNet Email Server page. She then clicked the subject line which opened the message. After a couple of minutes Nibs appeared wearing a pair of black cargo-trousers and a black short-sleeved top.

“What does the message say?” Nibs asked as she walked to where the Pizza boxes were; she opened one of the two closed ones and took out a slice.
“The message says,” replied Sandra, “’Have you been employed to steal something from the R&D research centre here in Suraban, as we have been employed to attack and destroy a specific lab of the same site.”
On hearing the message Paul turned around. “Great.” A big smile spread across his face. “The second team you spoke about.”
The tablet chimed and a box appeared on the screen saying username:- TonyDrum, Password:- aaa1146396, the box also had an ok button. Sandra looked up at Paul saying, “Paul you still got the NewTech Login page open?”
“Yeah, I think so.”
“Good I have a login and password for you to try.”
“Brill, what is it, sis?” replied Paul and he turned back to face the computer screen and found the copy of NetViewer that had wanted the username and password.
Sandra repeated the username and password back to Paul who typed it in, and pressed the Enter button, she was looking at the screen as it changed to display the article which Paul started to read.
Gary turned to Darla asking, “Anything on Mr & Ms Tuebacca?”
“That’s a good point,” replied Darla and she checked the two credit-check sites, “In a word, nothing, at all.”
“Great,” said Gary, looking a bit disappointed.
She brought one of the Pizza boxes over and put it on the coffee table, sat down, took out her tin, loaded her pipe and then smoked it.
“You look deep in thought hun?” Sandra said and kissed her on the forehead.
“I am. I’m still wondering who would want to pay five million for the rifle I know for a fact it ain’t Coltanar. They filled for Section 12 Financial Protection last year.”
“I may have an idea though, it says Andromeda has a share issue a few weeks back, and it was massively over-subscribed, and from the charts and reports I’m looking at the share price, it leapt 300% overnight,” said Tina who looked up from reading the magazine.
“Mm that does sound interesting,” said Darla, and closed down the two credit-check companies’ Net pages. She then brought the companies registrar site to the front, typed in Andromeda and clicked the search button, the screen changed to Andromeda’s details which included a link to its net page which Darla clicked.
“I can tell you the value Naban is planning on placing is worth 400million-plus decks in the first two years,” said Paul. “It looks like Narizzan Inc, Andromeda, Coltanar and a fourth unnamed company initially tendered for the contract. That was a couple of years before this article,” Paul said.
She looked at Paul and past him to the screen. ”Does the article give a spec of the assault rifle Naban was after?” she asked.
“Not in this article,” Paul responded, “I’ll do a search for any more articles on it,”
Abs asked, “Question. Any other arms manufactures in the world who would want Narizzan Inc not get the contract.”
She looked at her replying, “Research it.”
“I would but we haven’t got enough technology.”
“Here use the computer, I need a break.” Paul got up and stretched, wandered over to the armchairs, and plonked himself down into one, he proceeded to lean over and take a piece of pizza, only to say, “Hell someone email Black Hand, he’s always got his ear to the ground surrounding corporate politics and what’s what in the corporate world.”
“Yeah, shit,” said Darla in response.
“Love, can you email Bee and say yes we have been offered the contract.” She took another drag from her pipe. “Also what info do they have on the actual target site. Tell her that we are looking at who issued the contract initially.”
“Ok hun.” Sandra typed the reply to Bee then sent it.
“Can I have the tablet please,” she requested. When Sandra had passed it to her she clicked and opened BlackNet Email Server, when it was loaded she clicked the compose message. She typed in Tiamus’ Blacknet id, sending the following message, ‘How have you been and what is your connection to Narizzan Inc Security issues?’. Very soon after sending it, a chat window belonging to her Blacknet messenger opened and displayed, ‘Hi Nick or is it Nibola now?’
she typed back, ‘Its Nibola now or Nibs.’
About a minute later Tiamus reply appeared which read, ‘I’m not connected in any way to Narizzan Inc, I was offering my services as a Street Ghost to you and your group in planning the operation, free of charge.’
She typed, ‘Thanks. What do you know about the situation surrounding an Assault rifle Narizzan is researching?’
After a few minutes Tiamus’ reply appeared, ‘not much except it’s suppose to be a quite advanced assault rifle. I’ll keep my ear to the grapevine and email you if I hear of anything.’
“Can someone check the current status of Naban, I always thought it was quite poor,” said Gary.
“Yeah true,” responded Abs.

Darla typed GDP of Naban into a search engine, the search engine brought back five pages on the GDP of Naban, Darla clicked the first item which opened the Naban government home page, plastered across the top of the page was a massive advert for Rotork Theaban and half way down the front page was a news article about the government resigning and being replaced after a general election by the entire board of Rotork Theaban it was dated a couple of years ago. “Oh hell!” she exclaimed.
“What’s wrong Darla?” asked Tina.
“Naban looks as if it’s run 100 percent by Rotork Theaban.”
Nibs looked up from reading something on her tablet. “You are kidding aren’t you Darla, please say that you are, how the feck did I miss that.”
“No I ain’t,” she said and picked up the remote for the digital projector, “Can the laptop screen data be sent for projector display Nibs?”
“Yeah, is the projector linked to the computer?” asked Nibs.
“Yes it is,” answered Paul.
“Ok run DigitalShow it’s under the Programs menu Darla.”
She did, then turned the projector on, and on the large screen appeared the front page of the site, using the laserdot built into the projector remote pointed to the article she was looking at.

Nibs mouthed ‘Fuck,’ and sat back, “That answers a lot, Now I see how Naban can afford 400million decks in the first two years. It still doesn’t answer whose employing.”

*****

At about 03:00AN, Nibs turned to Sandra, “Can I borrow your bike I need to go for a ride and see the target site for myself.”
“Yeah you can, if you take me as well,” Sandra responded.
“Ok, hun, shall we go then.”
The pair headed for their bedroom to take their leather jackets, communication systems and shoulder holster rigs from the hooks just inside the bedroom door. They walked out the front door and opened the garage so they could take Sandra’s bike out.
Tina appeared at the door and chucked a bunch of keys at her and said, “Take my bike Nibs,”
“Thanks.” She bent down so she could pick up the keys that were at her feet. She went to Tina’s bike, unlocked the steering lock wheeling it out. She swung her leg over and dropped on the kick start and touched the throttle until the engine was purring. Sandra did likewise and both bikes started up the driveway as Tina turned and walked back in saying, “Have fun you two.”
“Shall we take some photos of the site if we are going to see it?” asked Sandra.
“Now that is a good idea,” she replied as the bikes turned right onto the main street they accelerated. “And I know the person to see about the camera as well. We need CW4.”
They followed the road, until it approached the start of CW4. Both bikes slowed and approached the junction to head south she was hopping to catch the lights before they changed, but after glancing in the rear view mirrors and seeing where Sandra was in relation to her, she decided to slow and stop at the lights.
The lights changed and both bikes swung onto the onramp for CW4 and accelerated up it, and onto the CW4, they both accelerated to around 70miles per hour and weaved through the traffic, which thankfully weren’t too bad.
She said to Sandra over the communication system, “Exit three.”
“Ok,” replied Sandra.
They drove through an area, of the city, locally known as Enclave City, more widely known as Richmond High District. Both of them looked around as they drove and as far as the eye could see was the white and brown of the corporate enclave housing estates, tower blocks, apartments and corporate run malls and shops. With the associated Corporate Security Check points, Patrols, Rules and Regulations which governed almost everything the locals did.
She began to wonder to herself, ‘Would I have ever been truly free even if they did accept Nibola’she doubted it very much ‘and would I have ever found Sandra and her friends’, again she doubted it. She glanced over her shoulder and looked at Sandra as they sped along. She saw simple joy and happiness in the face.
As they approached the junction they wanted to use they slowed and drifted across the CW to the right lane in preparation for the off ramp. Both bikes went down and slowed to a stop behind three cars that were waiting for the lights to change. The junction lights changed and they turned right and drove down the main road entering North Valley District. After travelling for about three miles the main road went under IC16 and then after another mile she slowed as the pair approached The Pegg Legg Inn. She turned into the car park, stopped and climbed off Tina’s bike. “Wait here hun.” She then walked in to the pub, where she walked to the bar and when a member of staff walked over. “Is Simon Peter in today?”
“No he’s not, can I ask who’s asking for him?” the barman asked.
“Tell him Nick Calton was looking for him, hang on can you tell me where his home is, I need to see him concerning some Street Ghost research I’m doing.”

“Yeah, no problem,” the barman replied as he remembered a Nick Calton from the last time Cameron Raiders was together. He led Nibs down the bar and lifted the bar section that opened to allow Nibs into the office. “His address is there.” He pointed at the wall beside the door on was a long list of addresses, at the top was Simon’s home address.

*****

A couple of minutes later Nibs came out. “He's at home in Valley District.” She climbed on to the bike and kick started it as did Sandra. Both bikes pulled out and back up the road they had used to arrive on. After about half a mile she made a right turn and sped down the road as it seemed to stretch into the distance.
After covering roughly ten miles she pulled into a side road and stopped outside a large set of gates.
“Nice place,” said Sandra as she slowed to a halt next to her.
“Don’t let appearances fool you; Simon Peter is a well respected Ghost from a few years back. The house is in his wife’s name.”
She leant over and pressed the call button on the intercom panel. After a couple of minutes a voice was heard saying, “Who is it?”
“Simon Peter, it's me Nick, you going to let me and a friend in.”
“Ok Nick,” replied the voice and the gates started to open.
The pair drove up the driveway and stopped in front of the main door which was open and Simon stood in the doorway.
“If I didn’t recognize the voice I would have said fuck off.”
At this she just smiled. “Yeah well all things considered I know it’s been a while since I last looked you up, sorry Simon.”
“Not to worry. Come in the both of you.” Simon said and turned and led then to the study.
“My next question is how can I help you Nick?”
“It’s no longer Nick, its Nibs. Do you still have the high-definition digital camera?”
“Yeah I’ve still got that.”
“May I borrow it for a while?”
“I don’t see any problem with that, I don’t use it and my wife has her own camera, so yeah.” With that he got up, and wandered over to the cabinet on the wall, and got down the camera, its bag. He also grabbed a couple of memory cards from the cupboard itself, as Simon returned to the seat he asked, “Why do you need it Nibs?”
“We need to take some high quality pictures of a site we’ve been asked to research.”
“Anyway I have things to attend to, so if that’s all, I am going to have to kick you both out.”
“No worries, thanks for the camera.”
As she opened the door, Simon turned towards the back of the house and disappeared. The pair after closing the front door walked to the where the bikes where parked and kick started the engines. They then turned around using the raised floor bed in the middle of the turning circle and drove up the driveway towards the gates which opened automatically.
After passing a lot of expensive housing and a few apartment blocks they approached the junction they wanted for CW17, which would take them back towards Central District and then on to Eban Hill District. Both bikes sped down the CW17 her mind began to wander again, trying to sort things she as Nick had seen, heard and assumptions she had made about many other things. She was still unable to make sense of a lot of it.
They passed under IC16, and after a few more miles CW17 entered a tunnel. Both bikes travelled through the tunnel, and passed the junction for CW9 and a short while later they passed the junction for IC2. They emerged from the tunnel just before the boarders of West Park and Central and the junction for Central, which was located very close to ‘Central Free Fire Zone’. They both took the back ways to the best place to take pictures of the Narizzan Inc R&D centre, Eban Hill. They followed the signs for the Figro Night club and turned left when they could see it. The road took them directly to the car park located on the far side of Eban Hill.
After parking they walked up the path that lead to the top of an old defensive castle’s hill, about 4/5ths of the way up both of them dropped off the path and into the scrubland that was the hill’s covering. They moved down the hill until they came upon a perfect spot where they both sat, and looked like a couple of lesbians enjoying each other's company. She started to take pictures and video of the site.
She worked left to right in strips taking photos so that when they were combined they would have a close in picture of the site. She finished the first pass and had filled almost one complete card. She filled the rest by videoing the main entrance and how the people dealt with vehicles and people if they could be seen. The second card she changed lens from the 20 to 100mm zoom to a 200 telephoto lens and took pictures of specific places through out the site. She concentrated on security towers, any guard posts, and the roof of the buildings.
After they had filled both 5gig memory cards with pictures and video, the pair got up and walked back up the side of the hill and returned to the path so they could walk back to the bikes.
The drive back was busy as it was rush-hour, and the traffic on the CWs and main roads was bad, thankfully not terrible.
When the pair had arrived back at the house, Abs said, “About an hour after you two left Bee contacted us again and suggested that we meet at theirs. We arranged to get to there around 07:30AN. The address they gave is in Grand South District, 32 to 34 266 West Third Avenue."
“Ah, ok, shall we go then, as it may take us a while to get to theirs as the traffic ain’t brill,” said Sandra.
“Yeah that’s what we where kind of thinking,” said Darla. “Gary you’re riding with me.”
“Ok,” responded Gary.
The group switched off the computers and left for the meet.

*****

```Chapter 12 — Street Issues.

When everyone had gotten their jackets and other items they needed for the run to Grand South District. Sandra and her both turned and were the first two down the steps. Behind them came the rest of the friends happily chatting away, sliding leather jackets on, making sure the communication systems were working properly, checking pistols, spare magazines, and their various close combat weapons.
At the bottom of the steps Sandra turned to face Nibs. “I’m driving hun.”
“No problem, I was hoping that you would say that,” she responded.
“Ok.” Sandra slid her Tard Kinetic 44 Heavy Automatic back into it holster, then zipped up her jacket and slid her hands into her gloves.
She looked slightly shock at the cannon Sandra carried, it hadn’t registered what she carried until now. She did the same with her 357 Delt Heavy, slid her hands into her sniper gloves, making sure the glove tops were covering her fingers, she also made sure that her knife was slid into her boot scabard.
Gary took his keys out and deactivated the alarm on the van, which also caused the central locking to unlock the doors. Gary climbed in, started it and moved back slightly the van so the bikes could get out.
Paul led the way, pushing his Mit-bu 1000RSx followed by Darla pushing her 850 Karzak. Angel kick started her Star Productions 850 Trike. Damieel also started her Star Ground 1000G trike via the electric start. Bang went something metallic from the garage and two engines started. Damieel was the next person to come up the driveway closely followed by Angel, Tina with Abs riding pillion were next, Sandra came up last. The group stopped at the top to wait for Gary and Nibs.
She walked down and closed the garage doors. Gary let the van roll forward until the bumper was against the door, he applied the brake and climbed out. Both of them walked up the driveway to the rest of the group.
“Do you know something Nibs, after the last game I think I’m going to have to break some bones in Detrict.”
“Why?”
“He thinks the team are loyal gang members, everyone is, just not to him, and for the hell he and the team put the school through over the last two years.”
She burst out laughing to what Gary had said. Gary headed for Darla’s bike and climbed on behind her. She climbed on behind Sandra and wrapped her arms around Sandra’s waist and kissed her neck.

*****

The bikes headed down towards the main road at the end of the minor street. The young ones from next door, up the minor road, were playing with toy guns with the children from the house opposite. They were shooting each other and generally playing combat and war. The bikes passed a couple of older children who were both sitting on an old washing machine that had been tipped up to form a small seat, they both looked over and waved at the group as it passed. Tina and Abs waved back.
She asked Sandra, “Whose youngsters?”
“Duggie and Sam’s older two, Duggie now looks after them two plus the three younger ones playing war with Alt’s two.”

*****

Just ahead of the group as they approached CW9’s onramp, three city security vehicles sped passed them and down the same onramp, sirens blaring, lights flashing. As the group accelerated down the onramp, more city security and a couple of Echo Tech Inc security vehicles also sped in the same direction on the CW itself. The second vehicle, of the Echo Tech Inc’s two, was a large van with Echo Tech Inc Tactical response unit logo on the side.
Gary said over the communication system, “Feck me. Let’s follow guys.”
”Hell yeah,” responded Tina and Paul at the same time.
The group accelerated and sped down CW9 following the security units. All of them left the CW9 at junction 15 and turned left. At the top were a couple of security officers who stopped the traffic as the security vehicles sped up the off ramp, after they had passed the pair moved back to the corner. As the group slowed for the lights they heard sirens in the distance. The lights changed and everyone after hearing a loud roar, which sounded like as if a jet plane was flying very low, looked up. Flying about 70 feet up were two dark blue figures. They looked to be using very advanced flight packs with what looked like small wings. Most of the group stared in shock at the figures.
Nibs used her improving vision to see that they both were carrying advanced looking weapons, not the normal assault weapons the security forces carried. She gulped and thought, ‘Where ever they are going to is fucking serious.’
All the bikes drove for about a mile along the street and was stopped by the queue of traffic, most of the cars looked as if they were empty as a small group had gathered a distance up the road. They slowed and parked up behind the parked cars. Another two figures flew in from the east over the tops of the houses and apartments and landed inside the perimeter which had been setup. The friends walked down the traffic stream until they reached the perimeter where they saw fifteen city security vehicles, three city security tactical response vans and associated men. Also present were eight Echo Tech Inc security vehicles and two large Tactical response vans, one of which had the words ‘Mobile Armoury’ on the side. The group could also see a pair of dark blue figures which looked like a male and female as the outfits they were wearing were form-fitting, and looked like they were covered in some form of advanced armour plates. Both of them had a large blade on their left arms and the lower right arm looked like a long tube. On their backs where flight packs that contained the jets, down beside the packs were the wings they used during flight. The packs had a couple of bits that extended over the shoulders and around the side at the waist. The female figure turned to look at the apartment block.
After a short while of looking at the scene, she turned to one of the other bystanders. “What the hell is going on here?”
“Some creature has escaped and is holed up in the block; both Echo Tech and City Security want it dead.”
More deep roars were heard as two more flyers landed; one of them was carrying a rifle-like weapon with a belt feed, which usually fed door mounted gunners in planes and copters, it was connected to the bottom of the flight pack the guy was carrying. The female said something to the operator in one of the Echo Tech Inc Vans.
Nibs noticed Sandra shake her head as if to clear it. “What’s wrong hun?”
“I don’t know. I think I’ve just heard those two talking as if I was standing next to them.”
She looked puzzled at her and asked, “What did they just say then?”
“I’ll tell you later.”
“Ok hun,” she responded.
One of City Security Officers, after being told something by another one, picked up a megaphone and said, “Please move back, this area is no longer safe for civilians. Please return to your vehicles and move them back, we will be closing the exits and entries to CW9 in twenty minutes.”
“Let’s get out of here,” said Gary. “We can watch it on the news.” He pointed to the two broadcast teams that were present. They all looked like they were wearing some form of body armour.
”Yeah lets,” said Paul.
With this everyone turned and started to walk back to their vehicles. On the way Sandra grabbed Nibs’ arm and slightly slowed so the rest of the group could move ahead of them.
As the pair dropped back slightly Sandra whispered into her ear, “This is what I heard. I think this is the female figure, ‘Is the building cleared of civilians?’. I think this is the guy sat in the van, ‘Almost only the top floor to be evacuated now lieutenant, City Security has the conservator contained for the time being on the second floor, but it’s not giving up without a fight. We have had reports that it has attacked on a couple of occasions and we think it may have trapped a family in one of the apartments.’ The lieutenant then said, ‘Ok let’s replace the city security units with Echo Tech Tactical Squads 3 and 5, then we will move in and hope we can rescue the family and destroy the conservator’. That’s all I got before I almost freaked.”
“Ok, we’ll check it out later in more privacy.”
“Ok so you don’t think I’m going mad?” asked Sandra
“No I don’t, I’ll explain later,” she said as they reached where the bikes were parked.
“Ok.”
When the group had arrived at the bikes and climbed on, they started them and headed off in the direction they had come, back towards CW9 and Misty’s.

*****

After exiting the CW and turning right along one of the main roads, the group was driving down passed a row of boarded up shops, one was open and had lights on. Outside was a large group of youths, looking through the security meshed front window. Outside a couple of apartments opposite were citizen’s and they were looking very concerned at the scene.
Nibs spotted the group stood outside the 26hr mall. “Hold up hun, something is going on in the mini mall.”
Sandra glanced left at the scene. “Oh yeah.” Sandra slowed the bike and looked on the right hand side for an alley-way she could turn into and stop.
“What’s up Sandra?” asked Tina over the communication system.
“Possible youth led hold-up left of the street. Pull over and let’s check it out.”
“Oh shit! Yeah,” exclaimed Tina, after she and Abs had looked at the scene. They followed Sandra’s lead in turning into the alley-way. She said via the communication system. “Gary, Paul we’re stopping. It looks like a group of youths are watching something in what looks like the only mini mall in the area.”
Gary’s voice came over the communication system. “Ok, Tina, we’ll pull into the next alley-way and wait for your report on the situation.”
Nibs was continuing to watch the scene as Sandra cornered and had just seen what was happening in the shop itself, but the group outside concerned her more than what was happening in the shop itself. “The group on the outside look jittery.”
“More like nervous as hell,” said Abs as Sandra and Tina turned right into an alley-way down between two five-storey tenant blocks.
As Sandra slowed she stood on the foot-pegs and moved onto the small back area where the rear lights were located and swung her leg over to get off. As she moved back towards the entrance, her Delt was in her hand and the safety catch was off.
Sandra’s voice came over her earpiece. “The thieves were either high or nervous.”
“Ok” replied Gary.
She knelt down in the shadow provided by the two apartment blocks looking at the scene very intently, studying it. Her eyes moved along the line of shops including the first floor windows, she saw a couple of gents looking out of a first floor window at the scene and they did look very concerned.

Abs quickly arrived at the entrance and took up a position opposite Nibs. She looked up the street and could see Gary, he had moved to the edge of an alley-way and was looking down the street at the scene. As she watched Gary she suddenly realised that she was seeing Gary far sharper than she should be able to. Very quickly Paul joined Gary at the corner. She saw Paul move in a low stoop fashion. As she looked at him move she saw Paul had his HK77 out from his bike’s hide. Paul ran as close to the building as possible, and he stopped in a sunken doorway belonging to a bookshop some four shops up the street.
“Nibs, Abs, where are you?” asked Paul over the communication system.
“Three shop doors from you opposite side of the road,” she answered.
“Ok, got you,” said Paul, he signalled ok with his hand.

*****

Back at the bikes Sandra and Tina had lifted the seats, unlocked a long metal box located above the rear wheel. They removed two M22 assault carbines from both, along with four magazines. As they walked back to the entrance they slid a magazine home and operated the action on each weapon.

When Sandra had joined Nibs at the entrance way. Sandra tapped her on the shoulder, as she looked at her she offered the M22 to her.
Nibs took it with her left hand. “Thanks. What the hell?”
“M22 Assault carbine love, we all carry assault-level weaponry on the bikes, remember.”
“Oh yeah, I do now!” she exclaimed then checked the safety and opened the breech slightly to check for a round, she saw one was present, she moved the selector to the five round burst fire position.

Abs who was looking up the street saw Darla had moved to join Gary on the corner and had shoved a Trig 27b into his hands, in hers was a HK23 Assault Carbine. Gary then ran in a similar fashion as Paul had and joined Paul in the doorway. She the saw Angel appear around Darla’s leg her Trig 8 semi-auto shotgun. She knew would have a solid slug in the breech and the 20 round magazine, Angel never used anything else. Damieel then passed behind her using the stooped run, she headed across the street. About thirty seconds later Angel moved in the same direction as Damieel. Darla then moved herself towards a car parked on the side of the road.

Nibs, who was looking at the scene in the shop. She saw one was carrying a length of wood, two of the youths had T100 SMGs, another, who looked like he was carrying a Y15 sub-machine pistol. He was aggressively threatening a small group of six shoppers, and the last two carried pistols. One of the two using a T100 was acting very aggressively to the two shop assistants who were filling a bag with money and cigarettes. The other person carrying a T100 along with one of the two carrying, what looked like, Y7 automatics were watching two women, one no older than 16 maybe 17 the second a young female adult, she was wearing a business suit, the pair looked terrified. She understood why, ‘They had been separated from the rest older looking middle aged people. They both sub consciously knew they were about to be raped by at least one, more than likely gang raped.’ The five carrying fire arms were the major threat to the people in the shop and the people watching the scene. ‘I hope some Street Ghosts are nearby we may need them.’

As Damieel reached the opposite side of the road she found a gent with long white hair tied back in a male pony tail along with a couple of teenagers. One of the pair was male, the other was female. The female had a round face and shoulder length dark brown hair, piercing hazel eyes and was wearing a T-shirt with a logo and underneath was the words Club Millana Staff, forest pattern camouflage trousers and a pair of biker boots. Sticking from the top of both her boots were three knives. She quickly double took the knives as they looked like throwing knives. The male had squareish face with short matt black hair and brown eyes, he was wearing a similar t-shirt as the female and black baggies. On his hands were a pair of fingerless gloves. She saw the fighting knife in its scabbard across the small of his back. She estimated their ages to be around the same as the Vixens’.

Angel joined Damieel on the opposite side of the street and the female moved to join Darla at the car. As she left, she saw she was carrying a well kept Trig 27b SMG. She also saw the male was using the same weapon. The gent on the other had was carrying what looked like an MA40. She noticed the guy gulp as he saw the Trig 8 especially when the pair of them were not exactly largely built. At least the Ydar SMG Damieel used was in keeping with her body’s overall frame.

Abs suddenly realised she could hear Paul speaking to Gary, and what was being said in the shop. She whispered to Tina, “Can you hear Paul, Gary, and Darla, and what’s happening in the shop.”
“Yeah I can,” replied a surprised Tina.

Nibs who had been watching the scene in the shop and the group outside saw movement from the guy forcing the workers to fill the bags. “Movement.”
The guy who was forcing the workers to fill the bags grabbed them. She heard him shout, “Get on the floor now, you Deum Scum!!” As they lay face down he aimed his T100 and fired a burst into them. She saw the pair jump and bounce around as the rounds hit them. “Feck!” she exclaimed.
Sandra who was stood behind her watching the scene as it unfolded, knelt down and whispered in her ear, “Welcome to the real world of the streets and the gangs hun. You ready to take them down.”
“Yeah, let’s do it.” The training Uthra had given her along with her natural discipline and the lessons from Tiamus and Damien came flooding back to the fore.
She saw the two who had been watching the two women grabbed each one and dragged them screaming and fighting towards the door. The one who had the bags chucked them to one of the two watching the rest of the people. When the two had caught the bags and started to back out of the shop, he shoved his hand into his jacket pocket and withdrew a fragmentation hand grenade. He took the grenade up to his mouth and pulled away, she saw the safety bar fly off. “Feck, GRENADE!” she exclaimed.
“Hold back; think tactically Nibs,” said Sandra sternly in her ear. “Way too many civilians currently. Remember the civilians are more important than anything else. As Gangrels we respect life, all life.”
“Abs, Tina, Sandra, Nibs, Gary. You have tactical control of the situation, I can see a few adults up the road from you carrying assault grade weaponry.”
Angel’s voice came over the communication system. “Guys, Angel. Me and Damieel are with a gent carrying what looks like a MA40 with GL (grenade launcher).”
Abs replied, “Ok Gary.” She turned to Sandra and Nibs. “When they get opposite stop them and contain. Me and Tina will support.”
“Ok,” they both replied and both brought the M22 to the assault position. Her first finger was over the trigger.
“Abs, Darla. What is happening in the shop?”
“The six are exiting with two females,” said Abs through the communication system.
As the guy, holding the grenade, backed out of the shop, he threw it into the small group of shoppers. As he underarm tossed the grenade, the people started to move and get to some form of protection between them and the explosion. Outside the guy turned and joined the large group which started to move up the street towards the friends. The hand grenade exploded, after a few seconds, and sent the thousands of razor sharp pieces of shrapnel out, the thin metal of the shelves and serving desk not providing much protection from either the concussion or the fragments. All of the shoppers were hit and most fell as the concussion blast hit them and they over balanced. The safety glass in the front window took the entire explosion. All the youths started to laugh as the grenade went off.
As group reached the building opposite, Abs commanded loudly, “Take them down.”
When Nibs heard the command, her battle instincts kicked in and she moved out into the street, closely followed by Sandra. They had their weapons at the assault position, shoulder stock into the shoulder, finger on the trigger, ready to fire. She looked over and as she reached the nearest side of the road, both of them fired a controlled burst across the street, so it impacted in front and behind the group of youths. They stopped in total surprise and shock.
Sandra shouted forcibly at the group, “Halt or we will open fire. By the authority placed in us by Central we hereby order you to halt and surrender, we have you surrounded.”
The one carrying the length of wood looked across the street at the fast approaching pair. To Nibs’ surprise he swung the piece of wood at the shop door which shattered the glass in the door frame. He and four of the group rushed towards the door and a possible escape route.
Two more of the group moved towards the alley-way and were confronted by two figures who had been hiding in the shadows, both of them were carrying assault grade weapons. The rest of the group went face down on the sidewalk as she shouted, “Face down. Now.”
She fired a second burst just into the brickwork above the doorway. The four who had gotten stuck trying to get through the door, stopped and backed away from the door, back into the street. She saw the shop lights go on and then she saw the pair standing cautiously in the door way to the stairs and back room, one was carrying a pistol and the other, who was just behind him, was carrying a long Pacca fire poker.
She quickly looked up the street, and saw two more had joined Paul’s group and both Paul and Gary were moving, weapons in the assault position down the street.

Sandra, who had her back to Nibs, could see that the local citizens were now dragging the injured and trying to fight the fire that had started after the grenade had exploded. Two people, both, holding pistols were knelt behind a postbox taking cover, another two had taken cover behind one of the parked cars. They looked as if they were carrying D300s.
A quick look up and down the street showed the four youths that the shouts weren’t kidding, they were surrounded and they all looked like they had fire arms. He and the other three youths dropped to their knees and placed their hands on the backs of their heads.

“Abs and Tina move to support and separate,” Darla instructed over the communication system.
“Moving to support,” replied Abs over the communication system.
She saw the pair appear and move weapons in assault position. She then said over the communication system, “I’m moving with two partners.”
“K.” signalled Paul over the communication system.

Nibs saw Darla plus her new partners move to the far corner of the car they all took up fire positions against the side of the car.
As Sandra and her got to the other curb and moved through the group, they kicked the two gunmen hidden within the group hard. The kicks got the resulting pain movements indicating themselves to Abs and Tina who to separate from the rest.
Nibs grabbed the piece of wood from the youth who had been carrying it, threw it over the group and grabbed his wrist, twisted it and forced him inside the shop. As she forced him through the opening in the door window, the force busted the lock and almost took the door off its top hinges. The gent stumbled and ended up face down with her knee digging into his back and the barrel of her M22 shoved into the back of his head. Sandra threw the other three into the rest of the group where Paul and Gary, and a pair who had joined the takedown, started to sort people by searching them for hidden weapons and grenades.
She knew the one she had kicked felt the impact as she had targeted the ribs and she knew the power would have broken some ribs. She glanced outside as the pair were grabbed by the backs of their jackets and one was heaved into the arms of the two adults and the other to Paul and Gary who both roughly searched them and then forced them both to their knees.
She looked around at the rest of the scene outside and saw the two girls, who were now hysterical, being taken away by a couple of women who started to comfort and calm them.

Once the girls had been taken away, Sandra turned and started to process the rest of the youths roughly, and was joined by Darla and her two partners.

Inside the shop, Nibs along with the two gents searched the one she had pinned to the floor and took a 9mm automatic out and threw it across the floor. Then with the help of the shop owner, manhandled him outside and down the street to join the one Abs had taken to two helpers, both carrying Echo MA-30 assault rifles.

Then the sirens started to be heard, and one of the adults said, “Here comes the city rescue and security services.”
Another adult said to Abs, “Tell your friends to get out of here, let us and the police deal with the current situation and we’ll say you will give statements later. You got some number they can contact you on?”
“Yeah,” she said in reply,
“Fellow ghost, nice to meet you. All of you?” he said indicating the rest.
“Yeah definitely.” She said over the communication system, “Let’s bug before the cops get here.”
“Yeah let’s,” replied Gary.

The entire group disappeared back to where they had parked their bikes, pushing them away so as not to alert the city security forces. After they had got a short distance away.
Nibs contacted Paul’s group, “We’ll meet you at Misty’s.”
“Done,” replied Paul. “See you at Misty’s.”
Nibs climbed on behind Sandra who kick started the bike after handing her, her M22, she held both whilst Sandra drove the bike.

up
18 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos