Reckoning -3- Awakening 5

Printer-friendly version

One of the final "volunteers" is chosen. Can they all find one another and get used to their new abilities and bodies? Stay tuned folks. It gets bumpy from here.

Tesseract... Sasha Nexus

My name is John Lawton and I just turned 18. Into the middle of a no win scenario for me personally, I heard the Observer's proclamation to the Earth. However I had my own problems to worry about and if I didn't get them solved, I doubted that I would be still around long before that December 2012 deadline happened for the world.

I'd known about the deadline but had not given it much thought about it even after that movie '2012' hit the theaters. Goodness, the Y2K bug was supposed to be like a neutron bomb and halt all our computers but when the clock struck a minute after midnight 1/1/2000 it was revealed to be just a scare.
But when you have first contact with an alien intelligence and it says that you gotta listen. I had my own problems that took priority over the world's woes.

I'd taken the last of my father's corporal punishment that was supposed to toughen me up to be a man. That was a big joke! Me a tough man! Like I would not give anything to be normal but at age 18, I had not been thru puberty yet. Dad was going to toughen me up so that I would not turn gay.

That was a laugh too since I have never had a sexual thought for either gender. Any other parents would have gotten me to a doctor to see why I was the way I was but they were these radical cultists that felt like going to a doctor was blaspheming God. That Prayer to God was all you needed to be healed from anything. They prayed and laid hands on me but nothing ever happened.

Legally, they had no power over me since I was over 18, the age of majority in Union City, GA (a suburb of Atlanta) where I lived. Emotionally they had all the power over me since they had been telling me how useless that i had been and that I would never make it out on my own. I believed all that verbal abuse. I thought no matter how much of a hell it was, that I was stuck there. But I found out that I wasn't alone. I had saved enough from my summer working for McDonald's to secretly buy a netbook at a pawn shop near the house and I could get online from an unprotected wifi from the neighbors.

I made friends again with my neighbor Tanisha who had been 2 grades above me in school. She had become an LPN and was working at a battered women's shelter in Downtown Atlanta. She made me promise that if I could not take the beatings anymore and wanted to save my life that I would go to her house for sanctuary.

Today was the day. I IM'ed her via yahoo and she told me she'd be waiting by her back door to let me into her house.ӬShe wanted me to only take what I knew that my parents did not know that I had with me so it would look like I had just stepped out for a bit when they looked at my room. She said that she had everything that I would need to get away from them waiting for me at her house. True to her word she met me and sneaked me up to her room.

"Sweetie I am so sorry that you are in this shape but I'm glad you finally are able to do something about it. I'm going to help you disappear and get you some place safe."

"Thank you Tanisha, I don't know what I would do without you."

"John, I've got an idea but it might be difficult for you. Do you trust me?"

"I'm in your hands, Tanisha."

"Okay, I'm a nurse and I need to see what I have to work with. Please strip naked for me. I need to document those injuries of yours and see if you need any immediate treatment."

I did what she asked me to do and she started documenting my injuries with a digital camera. It wasn't until she used a hand mirror to look at my private place that she stopped dumbfounded. She had me scared and she saw that so she told me what she had found.

"John you are intersexed and from what I can see, you may be more girl than boy. At your age without intervention some very bad things could happen. Have you had any cramps or symptoms like that?"

"I've had some bad cramps but they seem to come more frequently recently."

"John, my first idea was to find a way to hide you as a girl. Now I think the best thing is to take you to the battered women's shelter that I work at. You are close enough to female for them to take you in no questions asked along with the documentation that I have of your injuries.
Will you let me dress you up as a girl? I know that you have been forced into a crew cut but I have a blonde wig that I don't use because I discovered it's not a good look for me that you can have. I have a bag of clothing and necessities that I put together for you that you can have. What would you like me to call you for a girl's name?"

"I'd like to be called, Joanna. Let's do this, please Tanisha."

"I'll do my best, Joanna."

I made a rather pretty girl once the clothes and wig were in place. She even had some breast forms to put in my bra which felt cold but it was okay. I was fortunate that she had a pair of flats in my size to finish me off and we didn't bother with makeup since I looked fine without it.

We didn't talk on the way in the car to the shelter since Tanisha was speaking on speaker phone to the shelter. She took care of my intake paperwork over the phone including giving them the details of the pre intake medical exam that she had done.

Due to the unusual nature of my medical condition, they wanted to put me in a private room. Luckily a woman was able to move out into an apartment with her children so a private room was vacant that they reserved for me.

I got a welcome from the live in house mother, Lawanda, when Tanisha had us buzzed thru into the entry area. The three of us went into a private office where Lawanda asked me a few questions to confirm the things that Tanisha had already put into my intake paperwork that she had dictated. I indicated my agreement that I needed to disappear from my parents lives since they were a genuine danger to me.

"We have the means to get you alternate identification like they do in the witness protection program so that all traces to your former life goes to a dead end. Right now you are identified to our system only as Joanna. I'll need a last name of course and a middle name if you like for the records."

"I feel like a person outside their comfort zone being like this just like my boyhood hero Buck Rogers in the 25th century so I'd like my last name to be Rogers. As for a middle name, I'd like to be Christina, since I would like to be a real follower of Jesus unlike my parents: Joanna Christina Rogers and maybe Tina for short. How does that sound, Tanisha?"

"That sounds great Tina! You'll be Joanna Christina Rogers." That's all we need for now, Tina but tomorrow will be busy with intake and orientation for you. I'm sure you have had a busy day so the best thing that we can do for you now is let you get settled in your room."

Tanisha led me to my room and left me with the bag of clothes and supplies that she had packed for me. Having just had a shower at Tanisha's place prior to getting dressed, I opted to get into a nightgown that Tanisha had provided and I put the wig on its stand and brushed the hair out.

I’d grabbed my netbook and climbed into bed. I opened it to see if there was any wifi here when I had a visitor. It was the Observer and it looked like I was one of the chosen. I lay there dumbfounded not knowing how to react but the Observer finally said something to me.

“I know your challenges, Tina who was John. . I know what is in your mind and soul. I know the courage that you have shown in seeking refuge from those who harm you and starting a whole new life. I can do many things besides granting you powers. I can change your form any way you want or need.

The one thing I cannot do is force you to choose to try to be one of the ones to save your world. This has to be your decision and, if you choose it, your responsibility. I know that there is great good in you and I believe that you are, indeed, one of the ones to be gifted with the abilities I can bestow. I will return in a week for you to give me your decision and to choose what powers for me to bestow upon you.”

"Wow, you don't make it easy. Why me? Can I really help save the Earth?"

“Yes, I believe you, and others like you, can save your planet.”

"Could you shed any light on the disaster that is coming? Any clue at all?"

“No, It is not permitted.”

"What if..."

Before I could finish asking my question the Observer was gone. And the cramps and pain hit me. It was blinding severe pain that I could not think of anything else except that the question I almost asked was even more relevant. I wanted to know, what if I would not last a week?

I reasoned that the Observer would not have chosen me if I were to die before the week was out. It was a promise that I could get thru this. I needed the promise since the pain was so intense that I screamed and then there was blackness.

My eyelids fluttered, I was in a hospital bed and Tanisha was working over me to adjust an IV.

"Tina, you had us so worried. But you are getting stable. Welcome back."

"Thanks Tanisha, why are you here? Where is here?"

"You are in Grady, sweetie and the shelter is giving you private nursing care while you are here. We wanted you to wake to a familiar face so Lawanda and I have been sharing duties. One of us will be looking out for you. This is a special suite of rooms for shelter patients so you will be safe."

"How long have I been out? I've been having these strange dreams that an alien appeared and told us the earth would end in December."

"You've been out for two days. Not really in a coma but the meds that we had to give you to deaden the pain made you sleep. The Observer is real, Tina. It's all real."

I felt I could tell Tanisha anything yet I held back telling her that the Observer had appeared to me and that I was one of the chosen.

"Any clue what's going on inside me?."

"Right now you have a pancreatic infection that is causing your major symptoms but we got you an MRI and your insides need straightening out or you will die. From what the DR told me, you have a complete female reproductive tract but it's atrophied from not having started puberty. Even if we kick started puberty with Estradiol injections, you don't have a vaginal opening so that would be dangerous too."

"So what's the plan?"

"We're getting you into the Medicaid system and getting permission to do surgery on you to correct the problems inside you. You need to heal from the infection first and we hope that by that time we'll get the okay from Medicaid to do the surgery. Right now it's urgent you get it but not an emergency so you'll go back to the shelter until either it is an emergency or we get approval."

"Thank you all for what you are doing for me. I’ll be a good patient and get better and hope that we get an okay soon."
"You are welcome Tina. You need your rest so I'm going to inject you thru the IV with something to help you sleep.
Good Night Tina."

I slept and I got better and seven days from my first encounter, I was back resting in my room at the shelter when the Observer came back. I knew what I would say to the Observer and had thought of the consequences to my decision.

"Tina, what is your choice?"

"I choose the danger! Hell of a time to ask!" I saw that the Observer understood my answer.

"In this flash drive I've stored my choice for powers."

"Understood."

I offered to the Observer the flash drive which contained my request for the powers that the Observer had also asked me to choose. The drive floated out of my hand and then true to its name disappeared in a flash. I could not resist the trek reference, earlier, but regretted it when the pain came back upon me again even worse than before.
All of a sudden the pain was gone but something was different. The relief was heavenly but I felt hair cascading down my back.

"Fascinating!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Cathy: One more to go, maybe. I hope you are enjoying this co-operative effort. If you are, Please comment. Let us know that we're doing a good job. Thank you.

up
101 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very interesting

The story so far is very interesting. Lots of directions this can go. With the talent writing the stories. I expect lots of Twists and turns ahead.

May the force be with you all.

Hills and valleys, lovely curves and ...

Hi ya there!
Oh yes there will be hills and valleys and lovely curves...plenty of lovely curves... how I do like lovely curves. Where was I? Oh yeah.

Well our mystery guests will enter and sign in and off we go into the wild blue yonder, perhaps or maybe some even more exotic way if my name isn't Tessaract.

My name isn't Tessaract?

Just call me Emily then,,,, never mind!

This is gonna be so much fun.

Jo Dora Webster

Reckoning 1 Awakening 5

Interesting start and possible name.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Lot's of interesting names

Yeah there was John Lawton then there was Joanna then there was Christina and then there was Tina and then there was Tessaract and then there was Tess. Can you guess what color that new hair of her's is?

I knew you could.

Jo Dora Webster

She was really screwed by

She was really screwed by live. I can only hope the observer hasn't also screwed her over.

thank you for writing this interesting story,
Beyogi

She's a survivor

She's a survivor and she gets fixed up so that she can help. Helping is what she does best.
The rest remains to be seen as she follows where the others lead.

Jo Dora Webster