The Homestead - Book 1 - Part 6

Printer-friendly version

homestead_cabin.jpg

The Homestead

by: Anon Allsop
Book One - Part 6

Chapter 26

I came inside from the barn, stood at the threshold of the door, and hung my hat. Grandfather was sipping his cup of coffee. The shaft of morning light split the darkness of the interior as I stepped through the doorway. Grandfather looked up at me and winked, at that same moment, Samantha stepped from the bedroom wearing the yellow dress that I bought her some time ago. "I trust you slept well?" he asked her.

She blushed and patted his shoulder as she passed, again he winked at me. "Yes, and I trust that you also slept as well, Grandfather." she replied coyly.

He almost spit out his coffee and began laughing, "Honey, it's been quite a long time since I've slept THAT well!" She shot me a smirk and I smiled back, it wouldn't take one of those big eastern college professors to know what had happened between us last night.

I slipped in beside Samantha as she was cutting up an onion and poured myself a hot cup of coffee; she glanced upward and blinked away the tears from the pungent vegetable. "He knows!" she whispered softly.

I sat the blue tin coffeepot on the back of the stove where it could stay hot, she was still watching me, waiting for an answer. I shrugged, "Of course he knows, I'm sure he can imagine what would happen if we were left alone long enough." I replied back, keeping my voice low and hushed.

"I ain't deaf, you know!" he barked out, without looking up.

I frowned and took my cup to the table. Pulling my chair out, I sat down and looked into his withered face unblinking. "Now what happens?"

He sat down his cup and leaned back in the chair, his eyes glanced toward Samantha as she began cracking eggs into a great, blackened skillet. "I've never tried to tell you what to do, Quin, I always figured that you were man enough to sort out your own life. What we have here is a problem that can only be solved one way."
"And how's that?" Samantha asked as she stood beside the steaming skillet.

His eyes danced between her and me, Grandfather nodded and began to play with the handle of his coffee cup. Using a cloth, Samantha took the pot from the stove and refilled Grandfather's cup as he outlined his 'master' plan.

"As I can see it, you two need to be married as soon as possible. Otherwise, you're going to be finding yourself in the family way real soon." He watched Samantha as she hesitated briefly, and then quickly returned to the skillet of eggs. Still giving the young beauty a strange look, he returned to speaking, "It's getting late in the season, weather's turning sharply colder. It'll be snowing before Thanksgiving. I think the two of you should move into town."

With a shocked look on her face, Samantha's head spun at his suggestions. "I don't think we need to be married just yet, and I'll not be living in town! Quin's been splitting wood, and hauling in..."

He countered, "I've seen your woodpile, I've seen the prairie straw you've cut, and it ain't enough to last out one of our bitter winters!" Grandfather looked up at Samantha sadly, "You'd be frozen dead by spring! As for the getting married thing...you got any better ideas? What happens when you end up in a family way? That'll embarrass both Quin and you to no end!"

Samantha sank into a chair, her trembling hand slowly rubbing across her temple. "Marriage...n...no...I can help Quin cut more wood...I can..."

"Look, honey. If you and he take everything you've readied so far, load it into my buckboard and take it into town, with what you have, and what I have in my barn...we all could be living pretty comfortable throughout winter. As it is, what's out there will only last until maybe January...February at the latest!" Grandfather looked over at me, "You know what I'm saying is true...out here, she won't survive!"

The look between us stunned Samantha. I was sure that no one would ever survive a winter in the homestead alone, and Grandfather was right, we HAD to return to town. I reached across and touched her soft hand. "He's right. I've figured as much for the last few weeks. We'd need an entire spring AND summer to prepare for a winter out here..." It tore my heart asunder to see the tears forming at the corner of her brown eyes. "Samantha, there isn't enough food. The animals would die...we'd die." Tears began to sting at my own eyes, "I'd never forgive myself if anything would happen to you!"

Grandfather stood and gently pushed back his chair, and then he walked to the stove and the steaming skillet. Using the old spoon, he stirred the eggs. He spoke gently, "Look at it this way, Child. I'm not trying to push you into doing something that I didn't think you wanted to do. Quin's a handsome boy, just about the only eligible bachelor in town near to your age. Once folks would know that you were out here on the farm together, and NOT married...they'd make life pretty rough on the both of you." He took out a crumbled ball of the cooked mixture and popped it into his mouth, gave a nod at its flavor, then continued. "Now that you two got past your initial fear of each other, you're bound to...ah...meet again and again." Samantha looked at me and then lowered her eyes to the table; I gave her hand a gentle squeeze.

"All I'm saying is you can move in with me and Quin...as his wife, and we'll both take care of you. That way, if any little ones come along... soon... it'll be born in town, where we have a doctor."

Samantha's lower lip began to tremble; she quickly jumped to her feet and raced outside, the door swung in her wake. I glanced at Grandfather, knowing that he meant no harm. "I'll go talk to her."

I knew that he felt bad for the way Samantha took his offer; it was unintended, yet sometimes Grandfather never realized what he was saying until it was too late. To him, being subtle was like throwing a brick through a plate glass window. He spoke as I slowly stood to my feet, "I can go talk with the girl, if you think it may help," he offered.

"I'll go Grandfather; there are some things that need saying from me." I gave him a wry smile and slowly pulled the door closed behind me. I looked across the barnyard, scanning for where she might have gone, and then headed toward the barn. Once inside, I moved toward the horses. "Samantha?" I called out softly.

"Go away!" She shot back from the horses' stall. "I don't need either you, OR your grandfather."

"He didn't mean for you to take it the wrong way, Samantha," I called as I approached the stall where her voice was coming from. "Sometimes, he's just comes across like that."

She stood up and pointed her slender finger at me, "With his help, you took advantage of me! I can't believe I did something so brazenly stupid as what happened last night! I feel as though I was trapped!"

"I didn't know he was corner me into sleeping with you, Samantha!" I shouted as I threw aside the gate, "Besides, it wasn't him who initiated the sex between us, it was you!"

"As if you didn't know what would happen!" she folded her arms and turned with a huff, showing her back to me. "Nor were you in any hurry to prevent anything from happening!"

"Please come, Samantha. Come back to the house with me and consider his offer," I pleaded, knowing full well that she was acting more feminine than she would care to admit by her response to me. She was just like any woman I had ever known, trying to walk both sides of the fence at the same time, saying one thing but meaning another. I sighed and looked down into the straw.

She came at me like a tigress, the fury showing in her beautiful face. "You lied to me, Quin! You said that you'd try and help me stay here on the farm... it's as if you're trying to get me to do something that you've always intended to do in the first place!"

I felt my shoulders slump, like the air was suddenly left out of me. "So...we're back to that now."

"I knew it was a mistake to try being a girl, especially when my mind still has a shred of maleness inside! And when I was in my weakest moment...YOU took advantage of it!"

"Me? What the hell was I supposed to do; you put MY hand on YOUR breast, and then ended up pushing it down to your crotch!" I threw my hands up and stormed into the aisle between the stalls. "I thought you wanted it; finally wanting me like I have always wanted you!"

"Wanted it?" she cried. "What I wanted was to be treated like any other boy...like the boy I once used to be!"

She was looking down, staring into the loose straw beneath her long skirt. I sighed deeply, "Sam...look at yourself. You're not a boy, last night proved that fact. It would have been impossible for us to do the things that we did, if you were male. Somehow, you need to get past all that and just accept who you are!"

I gently took her hand, Samantha looked downward at my initial touch, her shoulders slumped and she grew quiet. I heard her softly crying, and knew instantly that I couldn't look at her, because if I did, my heart would crumble like old mortar. "I'm sorry, Quin," Samantha whispered, her voice was almost inaudible. "I'll go to town with you." Her tone was weak with despair. "...I'll marry you."

I stood in the striped sunlight as it filtered between the cracks of the old barn, "Are you sure?" She only responded with a sad nod, her eyes still looking toward the ground.

We stood at the end gate of the stall, holding her in a gentle hug I stroked her shimmering, long blond hair. "I know this wasn't an easy decision for you, Sam, but I WILL make this promise to you, Sam...as long as there is life in me, I'll always put you first. Always!" I whispered, and kissed her forehead, slowly turning her face up to mine. "I'll make you happy, Sam. If it's in my power, I'll never let you regret your decision!"

The return hug she gave to me was nothing as I expected. It was defeated, like she not only lost a battle...but rather like she lost the entire war. Something deep within me was saddened, yet I hid it from her face.

By the time we reentered the house, Grandfather was spooning potatoes from the skillet onto our plates. Beside the potatoes was a generous helping of scrambled eggs. I quietly showed Samantha to her seat, holding it for her as a gentleman would. Grandfather looked at both of us and gave me a questioning look; I shrugged and glancing at Sam, nodded.

He sat down and lightly patted Samantha's hand, causing her to look upward. "It'll be okay, you'll see."

Samantha fought through a smile, and then exchanged a look between him and me. "I know," she sighed.

We ate our breakfast in silence, each deep with our own thoughts, yet I was sure that everything on our minds was all remarkably related.

Chapter 27

By mid November, Samantha and I had removed the last of the supplies from the barns. Everything had been taken to town, filling Grandfather's own building to its capacity. It was a daunting task to cart all of the wood that I had split into town, along with the several wagon loads of straw cut from the meadow. The few animals we possessed had been among the first of the items to go.

By now, the air was sharply colder and it had been trying to snow for the past two or three days. My breath hung in a vaporous plume overhead as I climbed into the seat of the buckboard alone. Bending low, I gathered up the reins and paused to look back at the farm...my farm. I'd return in the spring with Samantha. Together we'd build this farm into a gem at the foot of the mountain. Without fanfare, I inhaled the cool air deeply and gave the reins a quick snap, sending the horses slowly down the lane toward town.

The ride was quiet and somber. Even though I would be finally able to settle down with my lovely young bride, there was always that troubling discourse that ran just below Samantha's emotions. It was true that she settled into her role of wife without complaining, giving in each time I wanted her companionship in our bed. I guessed it was that way for a young woman, especially when she's facing the constant attention expected of a newlywed's life.

Deep inside me I wanted her to be a willing partner in our lovemaking, yet it seemed that she continued to only go through the motions that were expected of her. It was almost as though she really HAD been a male and in the final act of defeat, had given up all hope of returning to her former life. It was as though Samantha had truly surrendered to the form that she felt herself trapped in. It was very frustrating because I wanted her to be happy now that we were married.

These were my thoughts as I rode, and they raced through my head for the entire trip into town. Thankfully, they were eventually replaced by less troubling ones, as I turned down the street where Grandfather's barn could be easily accessed. I pulled up beside the big door and climbed down from the high seat and began to stack the last of the split logs that had been removed from the farm.

Tiny flecks of snow were stinging my cheeks as I dropped the last log onto the pile at the side of Grandfather's building. Nearby, Gypsy was lying at the doorway to the barn, her tired eyes surveying me as I stacked the wood. As soon as I had finished, I put the buckboard away and saw to the horses. The wind was icy cold, blowing through the open barn doors, as I tossed feed into a trough for the horses.

Pushing the door closed, I headed into the back of Grandfather's store. I held it open as Gypsy trotted in and slowly climbed the stairs to the upper rooms. There was a heavenly scent that drifted to my nostrils, carried down the steps by the dog's movement. Once I stopped to hang my jacket, I smiled, seeing that Samantha was busy cooking in the kitchen. Beside her, Boots was busy licking up a small saucer of milk.

She glanced up at me as I approached the stove where she was working. "All done?" She asked.

"All done. There's no more that I need to bring back." I gave her a squeeze from behind, slightly surprised that she wasn't in the 'blue funk' that had enveloped her since agreeing to wed.

"Careful," she said, gently pushing my hands from her waist.

I laughed and reached past her, dipping my finger in the concoction she was cooking. The effort got my hand a quick swat from the backside of her spoon. "That's for supper! Stay out of there!"

I stood smiling at her, and rubbing the soreness from my hand. "You seem to be feeling better," I laughed.

"A bit better," she smiled slightly, "now that I know that the illness I've had...has a name."

I heard movement behind me, and I turned to see Grandfather shuffling into the room. "Did she tell you?"

I looked quickly from him to her, "No she didn't...tell me what?"

"Well...there isn't an easy way to say...I'm pregnant," she grinned only slightly, almost as if the news wasn't as good to her, as it was for Grandfather and me.

"We're going to have a baby?" I lifted her from the ground and hugged her, slowly spinning her in a circle.

"Hold off there a bit, son, before you break her!" Grandpa scolded.

I quickly sat her down, "Did the Doc say when?"

"Sometime in the spring, he guessed around the first part of June," Samantha said as she laid the wooden spoon on the counter.

I looked into her eyes, and I knew that she was hiding something. "You don't seem very happy with the news...what's wrong?"

Even before I had finished the sentence, I realized what my own thoughts upon the road had led me to believe about Samantha. I was so very excited, yet felt a pang of regret for creating the life inside her womb like some animal on the prairie. All the while I wondered whether she would accept the child as her own and take care of it as any mother would care for her own. I forced myself to stand a little taller; searching for an inkling of the joy she should be feeling in her eyes...yet, at the moment, I saw nothing.

We said no more about it until later, when we were alone in the bedroom. I gently pushed the door closed and turned to face my wife. "Okay now out with it. Usually, news like this is a big deal among a young family. Please tell me what's wrong."

She stood before the mirror, clad only in her sleeping gown. She smoothed the material on her stomach and sighed, "You're not the one that's going to have a child growing inside your belly."

"That's how it's supposed to happen, Samantha." I smiled weakly as I threw back the covers, "The man does the 'deed' and the woman carries the seed."

She glared, staring me down in the mirror. "Watch it mister! I was supposed to be the one doing the deed too!" From the slight turn she had, I could see the tiniest amount of swell in her lower stomach. Finally, she sighed deeply and returned to our bed. "I guess I should have figured on this happening, given the chances we've taken since we married."

I rolled onto my side and kissed her cheek, "Perhaps it could be when we first slept together?"

She sighed and slowly shook her head, "It doesn't matter, what's done is done...I guess I just have to accept it as my life now."

"Being a woman...or motherhood?" I asked.

"Both," she sighed and rolled away from me, facing the other wall.

I turned down the lamp and pulled the covers up around our necks, somewhat disappointed that she wouldn't let me celebrate the news like I wanted. Instead, by her reaction of the news she seemed sad and subdued, more like a funeral than that of a birth.

As I rolled to face the window, I could see a light flurry of snowflakes outside. This darkened room was hiding the thoughts we both were feeling, keeping from one another the worry on our faces. I wanted to shout my joy to the heavens, announcing to all that I was about to become a father! Samantha, I was sure would come around to the idea eventually, only...the soft sobbing behind me was enough to smash any idea of glee upon my heart.

Finally, when I could stand it no more, I rolled over to face her. "Samantha," I whispered, "Don't cry...this is a good thing!"

"This isn't the way I expected my life to play out!" she wailed. "A new mother isn't what I had aspired to be!"

I rolled over onto my back, "What did you want to become when you got older?" I whispered into the chilled room.

"I wanted to become a MAN!" Again her desperate cries were muffled under the blankets as she buried her face into their layers.

Returning to my position, facing the window, I felt a tightening in my throat. All of this had left me wondering if this was how our lives would always be? 'Would I be forever reminded that she believed that she used to be male and was somehow transformed beyond her will...into that of a female? Could she ever accept the child that was growing as the creation of a union between the two of us?' The questions fired into my brain in rapid succession, until from growing weariness, I fell asleep.

Chapter 28

Morning came and I rolled from the bed, sitting on the edge, I looked back to my lovely wife as she slept. In the early light seeping through the window, she lay without the worry of our previous evening's talk; looking more beautiful than ever, she dozed, her mind silent and peaceful as the look upon her face. As I sat smiling, she slowly fluttered her long lashes and reluctantly opened her eyes.

"Good morning," I whispered.

She smiled and stretched, the cover falling just below her covered breast. "What time is it?" she whispered.

I pulled my pocket watch from the stand, "5:45." I replied, closing the cover.

I stood and began searching in the dark for my pants. "Hey," she whispered.

I paused, "What?" She slightly scooted to my side of the bed.

"I want you to know that I'm not mad at you for what happened to me." She reached out and touched my leg, "Getting pregnant takes two, a man and a woman."

I smiled in the darkness, "You just figuring that out now?"

I wasn't sure how she would take my comment, but her laugh set my mind at ease. She continued without replying on my last statement. "I didn't sleep well last night because I did a lot of thinking. I realize now that what we did was only natural, just as what nature did as our result. I know now that I have to accept it, and sure, it will take some getting used to the fact, but I'm willing to try!"

I sat down on the bed and waited for her to settle onto her back, she draped one arm across my legs. "You telling me that you're now willing to accept being the mother of my child?"

"Yes." Her face was turned upward, the light glowing softly against her cheek. "I'll do whatever it takes to prove it to you!"

Bending down, I kissed her soft lips, "You don't have to do anything, and your word is enough."

I felt her lightly brush the side of her finger against my crotch, causing me to quickly look down, "What's with the sudden change?" I asked, my breath slowly easing out from the feeling that I was experiencing.

"I can't change what happened to me, I have to figure out a way of embracing it instead." She manipulated me gently, "If giving pleasure to my husband is one way of convincing him... I can be like any other woman and do that for him!"

I pushed her hand away, "I'll not have you doing that to me without it being willingly, not just because it is expected!"

She sat up and kissed my shoulder, "I have to start somewhere, Quin. One way or another I need to be able to accept this hand I've been dealt and move beyond it." Again I felt her light touch upon my rapidly swelling penis.

Chapter 29

Her acceptance was enough for me, as the weeks and months rolled by, she grew rounder and rounder with the child she carried...our child. By early May, she was huge, and feeling as pregnant as any woman would.

I had been helping Grandfather with the store, while she helped with the house. And although her role grew less as her belly grew more, she seemed to be content with the role that she had suddenly found herself inserted into.

I walked into the store, paused and stamped the heavy late spring snow from my feet; Grandfather was sitting on his stool behind the counter. This was the sixth big snow in a row that we've had in a row since late march. "Be damn glad when it quits the snowing! One of the fella's told me this morning that the pass is all plugged up and nothing can get through!" he growled.

"It'll quit soon," I replied as I tossed my jacket behind the counter. "All we need is one warm spell to melt all this snow away."

"It'll never leave...we'll be stuck with it for months!" he snapped, frustrated with the seemingly long winter.

He thumped his pencil against the pad he was writing on, "That ain't the half of it, Quin." He wanted to say something; I knew he was holding back.

"Come on, Grandfather, I know you have something to tell me...so, out with it!" I folded my arms and stood before the counter.

"We need supplies...and soon!" He frowned, "We haven't gotten anything since last fall, before the winter hit! Everything is either out, or running very low!"

"It'll come soon," I said smiling, "Have you tried to telegraph your supplier?"

He nodded, "They aren't going to come this far until after the snows melt. They told me that the nearest place they could come to us, would be at the town down on the forks."

I shrugged, "I'll go pick up what you ordered, and I can use the buckboard! I know a way to get around the pass in this snow."

"What about Samantha? She's due to pop in the next few weeks!" He seemed surprised, but willing to grasp at any straw to keep his store open and provide supplies to the people in our area.

"What'll it take, a week...maybe two?" I asked.

"Probably closer to two, but it would depend on the snows between here and there!" He glanced up the stairs, "What about Samantha? What will you tell her?"

I followed his eyes. "You're here; you'd help her wouldn't you?" He nodded.

"Thing is, would she let you go?" he asked. "She may not want to be around an old coot for very long."

"I heard that!" she shouted down the stairs. "I'm not afraid of being around an old coot while Quin is away getting supplies!"

I looked at Grandfather and smiled, "There. See?" I said, laughing. "When do you want me to leave?" I asked.

"Is tomorrow morning too soon?" he spoke, with a hint of worry in his voice.

"Tomorrow's fine," I answered.

I arose from bed long before the sun was up, kissed Samantha on her cheek then carefully placed my lips upon the round ball at her midsection. I quietly tip-toed down the stairs as Boots scampered by, heading up the stairs on his way to my vacated and warm spot in the bed. I let myself out as soon as I fixed my pack, heading through the soft snow toward the barn; there I hitched the team to the wagon.

Even before I finished, I felt a slight tapping on my shoulder. "Are you going to give me a kiss before you leave?"

I turned around, and there stood Samantha with a heavy shawl around her shoulders. "I gave you a kiss while you slept." She shivered when I held her close, "You better get back inside the house before you catch a death of a cold!" Bending down slightly, I kissed her upturned mouth, never before had I felt the type of love in her kiss as I had felt in that one.

She smiled, still supporting her belly with her hand. I lightly swatted her backside as she turned to walk away, and she paused and laughed. "Go on...get back into the store, crazy kid," I teased. She waddled across the yard and returned to the house, turned and waved as she disappeared into the warmth of the building.

I finished hitching the team and slowly rolled through the snowy streets as the sun was just breaking the horizon. Two weeks, I thought, two weeks away from those I loved. I sighed and gave the reins a snap, sending the team into a slight canter away from my wife and Grandfather. "Take care, my love," I whispered, as I watched the shop disappear behind me in the distance.

Chapter 30

My back was aching something fierce, all from sleeping on the hard ground during the evenings of my journey. It had begun to warm up and that created quite a bit of mud where the snows weren't as deep. Finally, when I saw the old mining camp from the last rise in the road, I was thankful and eager to spend at least one night in a soft bed.

As I rolled into the wide-open town of Cold Forks, I couldn't help but remember how much it had grown since I last saw it with Grandpa when I was just sixteen. Once a mire of dusty tents that lay at the end of a rail spur, now was booming with buildings and businesses that catered to the mine workers and a few settlers who dotted the surrounding countryside.

I pulled to a stop in front of the railroad office, which was nothing more than a shack hastily built to protect the man inside. I pushed my hat up and squinted down at the him, "I'm here to pick up an order from the Joshua Hanson Company." I slowly unbuttoned my jacket as I sat, it had almost grown too warm to wear it.

"Your order came in yesterday morning. I stored it in our warehouse back yonder. You wanting to load it right away?" He jerked his thumb toward the 'warehouse', it was nothing more than a dilapidated shed, once used by the mine.

I felt a stab of pain from my tired muscles, "I'll load it up in the morning, I'd like to stay the night and sleep on a good bed. This place have any decent hotels?" I asked, looking over the long, muddy main street.

He gestured toward the furthest end, into the direction I was already facing. "The Anderson has some good beds; if I was a traveling fellow, that's where I'd bed down." He smiled, "They also have a saloon with some ladies that will do just about anything for a gold piece."

I frowned, "No thanks, I don't think my wife would appreciate that very much."

He shrugged, "Suit yourself. The way I see it, what she don't know, won't hurt her."

"Perhaps, but I'm not going to take any chances." I looked down the street and clucked at the horses, they began to pull away, flipping mud as the turned.

He shouted, "You can load as soon as I open...be here at 8:00 a.m." I nodded and continued moving down the muddy street away from him.

Not far from the hotel, I spied a Livery Stable and guided my team toward their red barn. A man stood from his bench and stepped out to take the bridal of the horse team. "You looking to bed these down here all night?"

I nodded, "How much for food and water as well?"

He eyed the team and smiled, and I noticed that his entire mouth was void of teeth. "Eight bits."

I grumbled, "Isn't that a bit high?" He only stood smiling like a simpleton. Finally I dug into my pocket and retrieved my coins and tossed them to him. He waited for me to climb down and grab my bedroll. "For eight bits, see that they're well fed."

He laughed and slowly turned the horses into the barn, for what he was charging, I was going to let him unhitch them as well! I headed across the street to the hotel, each step sucking like walking through a bog. From where I was, I could hear the tinny sound of the saloon's piano.

I paused as a horse and rider passed, then I trotted up the steps and stomped what I could from my feet, then entered the door for the hotel. Overhead a small bell tinkled.

"What can I do ya for?" said the elderly man behind the counter, giving my feet a cursory glance.

"I need a room for the night; nothing fancy, just clean." He spun his book around and pointed to it for me to sign, as I was signing, he tossed a key onto the counter.

"Top of the stairs, room's the third to the right." He returned the book to its original position, blowing softly upon the ink as it dried.

"Any place nearby that I can get some food? Been on the road awhile and I'm real tired of eating my own grub." I waited as he looked out of the window and contemplated his decision.

"I'd go into the bar and eat; it's as good as any in town. Besides, if you've been on the road for awhile, you probably will be needing a drink anyhow." He smiled and pointed to a set of double doors that led into another room, the etched glass was milky in color. Behind the doors I could still make out the piano's happy tune.

I dug into my pocket and pulled out several coins, "How much for the room?"

"Four bits." He said. I groused quietly and tossed the coins upon his registrar, thankful that I'd be leaving in the morning.

Without another word, I left the old swindler to his books and pushed open the doors. The sight that met my eyes was one of awe. Before me were several girls upon a stage, dancing to the tune of the piano player. Pausing to allow a barmaid to pass, I took a seat at the back of the tables. Nearby was a group of men playing a game of cards, seated upon two of their laps were very pretty and scantily clad women. Prostitutes, I imagined.

One young woman moved across the room, she was unkempt and sullen. As she finally stood in front of me she looked back over her shoulder. "I'm here to take your order...what you having?"

"I'll have a steak and a beer," I said to her evident surprise. She stood a few seconds longer, causing me to look up. "That's all I need, Ma'am."

She looked relieved, and quickly returned to the bar to place my order. When she returned to the table, she set down my glass. "I put in your order; it won't be too long coming."

I nodded and sipped on the drink. She hesitated and then returned back to the bar where I watched a small man speak angrily to her. I began to look around the room, following the stairs up into the second floor where my room would be. Overhead, a thick blue haze hung, smoke from those patrons filling the air above. I watched the girl who took my order; she was very cute, probably close to Samantha's age. She was shoved toward a cowboy who was sitting on a stool; he gently pushed a small glass at her. I could tell that she was reluctant to drink, but from the prodding of the little man behind her, she downed the glass.

When the cowboy began groping her she slapped his face and slugged him, but this only made him laugh...and the little man frown. Surely this girl must be in training, and that was too bad. Had she lived back home, she might have had a young fellow courting her in no time. With an angry look in passing, she pushed past the little man and continued walking behind the bar. I said nothing; what business was it of mine how this boss dealt with his employee?

While I ignored what transpired between the man and the girl, I listened to the music and the one or two singers who took the stage. A small throng was keeping me from seeing the program entirely; their constant talking was even making it hard to hear those who were singing. I downed the last of my beer and pushed it away from me, deciding to have only one more beer with my meal.

Soon enough, the young lady returned to my table with a steaming steak, smothered in cooked onions and small potatoes. "That'll be two bits for the steak and the beer."

I pulled out a dollar coin and pushed it over to her, "Keep the change."

She took it and studied me for a moment, "Can I get you anything else?"

I smiled, "No ma'am...this'll be fine."

She began to turn and hesitated, "Another beer, perhaps?"

I looked at the empty glass; froth was sliding down the inside. "Sure, I guess I'll have another beer."

She smiled and quickly walked back to the bar, as she did, I saw the little man head out the front doors and into the street. She watched as the door closed behind him, then brought two beers back toward my table.
"I only ordered one," I reminded her.

She smiled, "I know. The other one is for me." She handed it to me and pulled out a chair, she took a seat and planted herself down in a most unladylike fashion. "I'm taking a break!"

I shrugged and began to cut the succulent steak, while she took a sip of her glass. "Thanks for not wanting to...you know."

I nodded, chewing at the steak. "I couldn't. I'm married. My wife would kill me!" I said smiling.

She took her slender finger and wiped away some of the foam that collected on the rim of her glass, "I ain't always been like this."

I said nothing, only glancing up as she continued speaking. "One time, seemingly long ago, I used to live on the street." She watched me for reaction, and when I gave her none, she went on. "I once was...actually a boy."

She leaned forward, "He has some sort of necklace. He touched it to some material and then pushed it into me...what you are seeing...this...is the end result!"

I fell back into my chair and began to drum my fingers nervously against the table. My mind was suddenly flooded with the story told to me by Samantha! Somehow, the entire thing was true! I now had a way of helping her return to her form...but did I want to? With slight hesitation, I whispered, "Can you get your hands on the necklace?" I asked, knowing that it was the right thing to do, considering how much she hated being trapped as a woman.

"Not hardly, he keeps it locked in his safe, and the only key to it, is on a chain around his neck. He's transformed almost every girl in this saloon!" I began to look around; some of them were kissing and petting those whose laps they set upon. "That's right; some of the girls have grown accustomed to what they've become. Not me...first chance I can get out of this form, I'm gone!"

I rubbed my chin and took a long drink of my beer, and she watched me with a curious eye. "You don't seem too surprised by what I just told you." She whispered, "Most guys would be either running away...or trying to bed me and see if the story is true! Why?"

I looked around then whispered, "I have a very good reason to believe you."

"Oh? And why should you believe some addle brain kid?" she folded her arms under her youthful breasts, and then dropped them to her side when she realized that they only emphasized their presence.

"My wife once told me of something similar happening to her almost two years ago. I always suspected she was making it up...but now, your story..." My voice drifted away.

"She married you? She must be one of those transformed...who accept the change!" She glanced toward the door, "I think if I could get my hands on that thing, I can change myself back!"

I heard very little of what she said, I was staring into the reflection cast by the liquid in my glass. My mind occupied with what I wanted to do and what I knew was right to do. Taking a deep breath, I looked up and asked, "What if I was to help you regain the necklace? Could you then show me how to return my wife back to her original form?"

"I suppose so, but you'll need an article of her clothing from when she was still male."

I frowned, "I'm not sure if she has anything like that. Besides, it'll have to wait until after she's had our child."

"She's pregnant?" The girl whispered in astonishment. "If that's true, I don't think she'll be able to change until after the baby is weaned. I think it has something to do with the powers contained in the necklace."

I looked into my plate and picked up the knife, "Then I guess, once she's through breastfeeding our child, I'll give her a chance to return back to being male." Once again I attacked the steak, fueling my body for the adventure ahead.

"If she wants to..." she said softly.

I glanced up, "Oh, she'll want to. I'm sure of that."

The girl suddenly stood up and glancing toward the outside doors in fear, hurried back toward the bar. I wondered why she moved so quickly, and then I saw that the little man had reentered the saloon. He was scowling in my direction, apparently because she had been caught 'sitting on the job'.

I quickly finished my meal and stood, dropping another coin for the second beer that I had been given. Without a word, I walked to the end of the room and began to climb the stairs. I decided that I was going to let her make the first move, especially since I had no plan.


To Be Continued in Part 7

up
116 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So now he knows.

that he would even think of giving his wife the chance to be male again says a lot about him.

Samantha has a gem there, if can she see it.

Maggie

well the next installment should prove

quite interesting. Sam finally gets the opportunity to return to her former life. Big question I have is will there be a just punishment handed out to the man that did that to these boys?

This is coming along nicely

And the ending is worthy of the long, slow and oh so satifying buildup we've been enjoying.

Haven't noticed much different between this and your older posting at FM. I assume any changes were more to tidy it up.

One of your best.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

He will have to be carefull Anon.

He might accidently touch the medallion and also turn into a woman?

Great story, well written and a great description of the time and place where the story is enacted.

Thank you.

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita