Harry Potter and the Curse of the Emerald Witch - Part III

Printer-friendly version
PART III

"You are in danger, Harry Potter, but from yourself."

Confined inside the Slytherin dungeons, curled up on the black leather couch, dressed in a green and silver coloured uniform was Heather Potter, now a Slytherin, apparently. It was the worst possible thing that the curse of the Emerald Witch could have done to her. To become a member of the house she had resented for so many years was not only sickening but it upset her greatly. She felt as if she was betraying Gryffindor and couldn't bare the thought of everyone seeing her once Hogwarts started a new term after the Christmas holidays.

She immediately went to see Dumbledore after her uniform had changed, but he was no where to be found. Most of the teachers were gone for the holidays except for the few who had to keep watch on the school. However, it was unusual for Dumbledore to leave.

Professor McGonagall found poor Heather sitting in the window sill on the fourth floor, crying. She took her into her office and comforted her. It was awkward for McGonagall to see the great Harry Potter, the boy who lived, cry in front of her. But she knew that the curse would soon take a turn for the worst seeing as she had suddenly changed into a Slytherin.

Heather gathered her thoughts and soon realised knew that something serious was wrong with her. McGonagall's face said it all. No student in the history of Hogwarts had ever changed over to another house in the middle of their school career.

"Don't cry Potter-" said McGonagall concernedly, "- as soon as Professor Dumbledore returns we can see what caused this."

"What will I do? Where will I stay?" whimpered Heather.

"Well you can try the Gryffindor common room but it is unlikely that you will get by seeing as you —”

Heather stood up quickly and acknowledged McGonagall before swinging her new blonde hair around to make way for the door. As she touched the handle McGonagall spoke after her. Heather froze.

"- I'm sorry that this had to happen to you Potter, of all the people in our world."

Heather sniffed as tears began to well in her eyes yet again. She opened the door and slammed it behind her. As she strutted angrily down the corridor she looked down at her new uniform. She felt sick to be wearing the Slytherin colours so she threw her grey and green tank top off. She also tugged violently at the tie and threw it on the floor. No longer wearing the Slytherin colours, Heather approached the fat lady and uttered the password clearly.

"Sorry, but you belong to the Slytherin house therefore you cannot pass young lady!" said the Fat Lady sternly.

"No it's me, Heather! Heather Potter!" she said moving closer to the portrait.

"I don't care who you are, you clearly belong to Slytherin house so run along!" she said waving Heather away.

"No, no you don't understand it's me, Harry Potter!" she said lifting up her fringe.

The fat lady squinted to search for any scar trace but there was nothing.

"I'm sorry but if you were Harry Potter, you would have a scar, right there!" said the fat lady, pointing at Heather’s forehead.

"What do you mean —" said Heather dumbfounded.

The fat lady's face shrivelled into a threatening sneer to "go away". Heather turned around, her face gaping as her jaw hung down. Her scar was gone? That was the symbol of her old self, it made her who she was, and it was her only small trait left. She walked slowly and stiffly through the corridors, her head hanging low with shock. She walked into the girl's lavatory and splashed her face with water. She turned off the taps and looked up at her reflection. She looked as white as a ghost along with her ghostly blonde hair. She was truly transforming into a Slytherin school girl and she didn't like it one bit. She pulled up her fringe to see that her forehead was bare, no lightening bolt scar, the scar that supposedly could not be removed, gone.

"...no!" she whispered, "No, no, NO!" she bellowed. She began to feel so frustrated that she painfully punched the mirror, causing it to crack and split in two. She bent over the sink breathing heavily as her cheeks streamed tears. At this point she was sick of crying. She couldn't help it, she just felt so emotional.

"Don't cry -” whispered a cold female voice.

Heather quickly drew her wand, looking around herself for signs of life, startled and afraid.

"Who said that?" she bellowed.

She pointed her wand at each corner of the bathroom, panting heavily. Her mind was racing, pulsing and felt quite full. She stared into a dark corner, waiting for something to leap out at her.

"Revelio!" she whispered softly.

Nothing appeared to be in the room. She came to the quick conclusion that she may have imagined it.

"Don't cry Heather Potter, for tears will do you no good, soon you will be a stronger witch," said the voice.

Heather looked at every angle of the room.

"Where are you?!" she screeched. "Show yourself!"

"In your head Heather, in your mind —, ‘’ said the voice in a cold calm whisper, ‘’ — our mind!’’

Heather gulped and licked her lips to contain herself from panicking. She straightened her skirt and rolled up her blouse sleeves.

"Who are you?" she asked.

"My name is Alys," she said softly.

Heather turned and looked at the door, hoping to see somebody there, but there was no one, not a soul in sight.

"A-Are you the Emerald Witch?" asked Heather.

"No,’’ laughed the voice. ‘’We are both the Emerald Witch!’’

Heathers mind stopped pounding and the voice of Alys the Emerald Witch vanished. She stood in silence, taking in everything that she had just heard. The dripping of water echoed throughout the girl's lavatory creating a quite, eerie atmosphere. Heather turned and looked into the cracked mirror. "We are both the Emerald Witch". What did that mean? Heather began to feel disturbed knowing that something, someone was in her mind, speaking to her and reading her thoughts. She left the bathroom, dumbfounded by what had just happened. She needed to sit down and think straight. She was stunned and overwhelmed.

Heather was given the password to the Slytherin dungeons, her new dormitory, by the bloody baron who was now approachable for Slytherin information. She slowly walked down the dark, dusty steps into the large square common room. It was much darker and gloomier than the Gryffindor's bright, warm atmospheric common room. Yet it looked grander, with large pillars at each corner, draped with the Slytherin crest proudly displaying the houses cunning might. Like the Gryffindor common room, it had a large fire place with black leather couches around a coffee table. She took in the room by taking a deep breath and exhaling through her nose. She sat on the couch and crossed her legs. She burst out in tears into her hands, crying her eyes out because of her situation. First she was transformed into a girl and now she was something even worse, a Slytherin schoolgirl.

*

The sun rose over the tall green mountains as night and day collided. The sky was painted with navy, purple, reds and oranges as dawn broke the frosty cold land. Heather arose from bed as the sun came up. She yawned as she changed into her casual wear, Jeans, shirt, jumper and a pair of slip on shoes. She then went to the bathroom to wash her face. Looking in the mirror she noticed that she was starting to look more like the phantom that cursed her. She quickly brushed it away, feeling that if she got upset she wouldn't be able to concentrate on her day in library, researching the Emerald Witch, desperately seeking out new information. But she now had a name, Alys, a lead, finally. Heather kept reciting the words, "We are both the Emerald Witch!" under her breath trying to find meaning but she could only come to one conclusion, that she was possessed by inner darkness, just as Sirius and Dumbledore had predicted. She now knew this was the reason why Dumbledore kept her in school for the holidays, to monitor her.

Heather walked down the ghostly silent corridors as rays of sun shine glazed through the stained glass creating colourful rays of light in the halls as she walked by. She had never seen the school so quite yet so peaceful. Heather took the moving stairs up to the third floor. There she walked into the library where she met Madam Irma Pince who was wheeling a trolley filled with books.

"Some just can't leave this spectacular school!" she smiled warmly.

Heather forced a crooked smile as she walked by her. She made her way into the depths of the towering cases filled with thousands upon thousands of books, filled with magical information dating throughout all history. She began to browse desperately. Even though she and Hermione failed to find more information on the Emerald Witch in the library weeks before, even in the restricted section, she still held on to hope that there had to be something. She flicked through dozens of books and indexes, searching for something to go on. She looked for the name Alys in books on myths, legends, religions, beliefs and folklore but all to no prevail. She picked some random books and carried them out into the study area.

"A bit of light reading I see?" said Madam Pince as Heather plonked the books onto a desk.

"It's actually just a bit of research," said Heather, not really in the mood for chatting.

"Oh, well anything I can help you with?" she asked.

Heather froze and looked into Madam Pince's face.

"Yes actually, w-what do you know about the Emerald Witch?" asked Heather politely.

"The Emerald Witch, that rings a bell?’’ said Pince, raising her eyebrows. ‘’Have you tried looking in magical myths and folklore?" she asked.

"Yes I've checked everything Madam, but I have not found anything!" said Heather beginning to feel frustrated.

There was a brief moment of silence as Heather sat down on the wooden chair. She aggressively opened the top book of the pile and began to read. She could still feel Pince standing beside her, staring.

"Well if you like I can share what I know of Emerald?" said Pince.

Heather stopped reading and looked at Pince. Her feelings of frustration were replaced with full attention and curiosity. She nodded her head intently.

"Well the legend goes that the Emerald Witch was a powerful sorceress that lived, oh, ages before the founders of this school were even born. She was beautiful, cunning and deceiving towards Wizards alike but behind her beauty was a heart so cruel, cold and wretched that to seep into it would cause death itself - ’’ said Pince, rather enjoying the story. She continued to speak. ‘’- according to legend, it is believed that she drew her power from an emerald amulet that she wore around her neck constantly, thus she earned the title of the Emerald Witch —"

Heather cut across her, "— sorry but where is the amulet now?" she asked anxiously.

"It's nowhere because it doesn't exist, no such amulet has ever been found!" said Pince sternly.

Heathers heart sunk with disappointment as she hadn't learned anything new. Everyone seemed to only know the same old legend story. She already knew of the amulet as Sirius had already told her before. However she did learn that the amulet was the source of her power. Where was it? Was it destroyed? Could it still be out there? Did she even want to find it?

"Do you know anything else?" asked Heather.

"I'm afraid not but rumour has it that Harry — Hea — Harry Potter or whatever they call her now was cursed by Emerald herself but personally I think that's a load of nonsense!" said Pince.

Heather quickly turned back to her research, completely ignoring Madam Pince. She didn't even recognise Heather. Pince just raised her eyebrows confusedly and walked off pushing her trolley humming softly. Heather was left staring into the book filled with nothing. She didn't even know why she was bothering as the book obviously had nothing about the Emerald Witch within its pages. She wished that Hermione was with her, she felt that she didn't have the strength to search on her own. She kept reviewing everything about what she knew in her head. She was cursed by the phantom and transformed into a girl for some unknown reason.

"Why me?" she asked herself.

She knew herself that there was always a reason behind everything that had ever happened to her in her life but then again, it could be random for once. If she was to get to the bottom of this impossible mystery, she concluded that she would have to find the amulet and destroy it. But such an artefact, lost to the ages, would be impossible to find.

Dumbledore and Sirius explained that something was inside her, something dark and this was now obvious as she was hearing voices plus she also changed into a Slytherin and little to her knowledge she was rapidly becoming one not only in appearance but in personality too. As she studied, these same thoughts flowed in and out of her mind, Emerald, the amulet and her own impossible situation. She also couldn't help but constantly think about everyone's reaction when they see the great Harry Potter, not only as a girl, but as a Slytherin girl. What would Ron and Hermione think? She presumed that her life would pretty much be over.

She stayed in the library for most of the day, not eating nor leaving her desk. But she, of course found nothing. At this point she felt that she would have to let the curse take over but she wasn't there yet, not yet. Suddenly the uncomfortable, full feeling returned as her head began to pound with pain. The cold whispery voice of Alys returned.

"Study all you like Heather but your soul will always belong to me!" she said coldly.

She shut the book tearfully with a feeling of "giving up" as Alys broke her down. She then stood up, sliding the chair noisily against the ground and clenching a small pile of books to her chest. She then left the library and made her way back to the empty Slytherin dungeons, feeling defeated.

Meanwhile in the astronomy tower a meeting was taking place between Professor McGonagall, Snape and Dumbledore himself. Professor Snape stood stiffly with his arms crossed in a fixed posture with his usual pale, lifeless face as he sat in front of the Headmasters desk. Professor McGonagall sat opposite Snape looking sad and concerned. Dumbledore sat behind his desk dressed in purple sparkling robes with his long white beard tied, his half moon spectacles perched upon his crooked nose. He was in deep thought.

"What are we going to do Albus? I mean, we can't just let Potter become something that he's not!" said McGonagall.

There was silence in the room as Dumbledore stroked his beard gently.

"I agree Minerva, but in this current time I think its wise to consider that the only way we can keep up with this matter is to do nothing -, " said Dumbledore, ‘’ — for now.’’

"Do nothing?!" said McGonagall, appalled by Dumbledore's shocking words. "After all you've seen that boy go through in his short life, and now when he needs you the most, you're going to do nothing?"

"I too agree with the headmaster, it would, perhaps, be most wise to let events, unfold for themselves," said Snape.

Dumbledore nodded. "Professor Snape, seeing as Ms. Potter is now part of your house, my advice would be that you take severe caution and keep a very close watch on her."

Snape's lip curled with discomfort and his ink black eyes flickered, as he obviously did not take well to Dumbledore's mission. "Very well," he said coldly.

McGonagall sat silently knowing that she had been beaten. She was very uncomfortable with Dumbledore's plan. Snape acknowledged both McGonagall and Dumbledore before leaving the office. As the door shut behind him McGonagall and Dumbledore sat in a deafening silence, looking at each other.

"Albus, I hope you know that I care for Potter as much as you do - " said McGonagall seriously.

Dumbledore nodded.

‘’ — but I do hope you know what you’re doing!’’ finished McGonagall.

"When have I wronged you before Minerva, trust me," said Dumbledore warmly. "I foresee that Heather will come to me once the curse has taken complete hold and then — then she will be free."

McGonagall still wasn't convinced as a look of uncertainty dawned upon her face. She stood up and looked at Dumbledore straight in the eyes. She sniffed stiffly before turning for the door. As the door slammed, Dumbledore joined his hands In a prayer like stance and hummed sorrowfully.

*

For the next week Heather did nothing but bask in a pool of sorrow and fear, all alone in the Slytherin dungeons with no one to comfort her. She felt sorrowful because she knew that nothing could be done. She felt fearful because she didn't know who she was anymore. Alys continued to invade her mind, producing nightmarish dreams of villages burning under green fire, people being brutally murdered and images of Emerald herself screaming manically. She only left the dungeon once a day to eat dinner in the empty great hall. Ron had written to her but she threw the envelope aside, left unopened. She constantly felt angry, bitterness and rage towards her surroundings. Her appearance had also altered as her blonde hair was now almost white, her face thinned down to sharp cheek bones and she no longer had to wear glasses, her vision was crystal clear. Most of these changes occurred over night but they still frightened Heather as she watched herself become more and more like the phantom that cursed her. Snape started watch Heather’s every move like a hawk, often following her on her way back from the library or the great hall but nothing too major as she spent her entire time in the dungeons.

Hogwarts was literally white with snow as the clock tower chimed, ringing across the dark night mountains. Snow immediately began to fall again as Christmas day commenced. Heather sat curled up on the dungeon couch dressed in skinny jeans and a hoody. She looked at the clock and she confirmed that it was Christmas day and for the first time in weeks she finally had feelings that weren't depression, angst or rage, feelings of loneliness and neglect overcame her. She felt that she should be with Ron and Hermione but her curse restricts her from doing so. She walked over to the window sill and picked up the unopened letter that Ron had written to her.

Dear Heather,

How are you keeping? Hope you are having good holidays. I'm sorry you couldn't join us in the burrow for Christmas. Mum is sad that your not here, everyone is, but I guess Dumbledore knows what he's doing keeping you cooped up in the school. My dad personally thinks it's a mad idea. I'm not sure what else to say but I'll see you again after the holidays. Hang in there mate we are all with you!

Ron.

The letter felt like a blessing, a heart warming gesture that made Heather remember that she had friends. She clenched the letter to her chest before grabbing a quill when suddenly she was distracted by a noise. It was coming from the girl's dormitory. It was low, buzzing and eerie. She left the quill and letter down on the coffee table. She drew her wand as she slowly walked into the girl's dorm. She could see a bright green light around the corner. She moved in slowly breathing rapidly, her chest pumping in and out. She looked into the bedroom when suddenly a flash of green light blinded her. For a moment Heather thought that she had died. A memory from her childhood flashed before her eyes back to when she was just a baby boy.

"Noooo!" cried Lilly. "Take me!"

She was quickly brought back to reality, waking up on the hard wooden floor lying on her back. She was stunned, trembling, and confused by what had just happened. Her head was pounding as she sat up. It took her a few moments to get to her feet but when she did her eyes were immediately drawn to her bed where an emerald diamond amulet lay glowing in its awe. Heather's jaw dropped with shock as she slowly approached the beautiful amulet that supposedly didn't exist.

"Yessss!’’ hissed Alys. ‘’Finally!’’

Heather didn't dare touch it as she knew it was an extremely dark artefact. She immediately thought of fetching Dumbledore but something stopped her. It was the voice in her head. She knelt down at the bed and looked at the amulet closely. It was incredibly detailed with amazing silver ridges and abstract designs surrounded the eight sided diamond elegantly. How did it get there? Who sent it? Was it real? Heather didn't care, it had to be destroyed. Pince claimed that the amulet was the source of Emerald's power so it would surely kill the demon within her. She stood up and paced up and down the room nervously, never taking her eye off the amulet. She picked up her wand from the ground.

"You are thinking of destroying it, aren't you?" whispered Alys.

"I'll make my own decisions, thank you," muttered Heather.

She stopped pacing and stood at the foot of her bed, staring at the glowing amulet. She raised her wand shakily and pointed it at the emerald diamond.

"This is it, this is where it all ends, finally," thought Heather.

Alys laughed maliciously. "You won't be able to, your too weak!"

Heather's arm shook erratically as Alys pulled her mind away from the prospect of Emeralds destruction. Heather grunted as she tried to fight it but it was much too hard, Alys now had most of the control over her mind. Suddenly the amulet flew at Heathers neck fastening itself around her and before she could react she felt something penetrate her entire body. The minute the cold emerald diamond hit her skin, a feeling of dreadful depression came over her, pulsing through her body, making her face droop with sadness. The mixed feelings of rage and disgust of the world around her returned. Alys cackled screeching, "YES!" Heather looked down and tried to take off the amulet but she couldn't. Her hand shook as she tried to take it off, it was impossible, something was stopping her. She grunted as she released her hand from the powerful force of the amulet. She felt frustrated, hateful yet happy at the same time. Happy that soon she and Emerald would be one. She was completely possessed. Emerald had her now.

*

One week later. The long, scarlet red, train huffed and puffed rapidly through the tall green Scottish mountains. The weather was fearsome, deadly and loud as thunder and lightening cracked the sky in large blue streaks through the black stormy clouds. Cold showers of rain gushed through the strong winds as they dripped down the windows of each carriage. The Hogwarts Express used every bit of its steam power to push its way through the worst storm experienced by Britain in fifty years. On the train were students making there way back to school after the long two week Christmas holiday. They were all tired, cold and hungry as they waited in patience for the journey to end. Ron, Hermione, and Neville sat in a compartment alone, as they talked about their friend Heather Potter.

"So do you think it's true? I mean, that Heather is now in the Slytherin house?" said Ron.

"She can't be, she's more Gryffindor than anything!" said Neville.

"Yes, but a curse as dark and mysterious as hers, it could do anything to her! If it can permanently change ones gender, then it most certainly can with ones school house!" said Hermione.

Ron looked at Hermione who had a deep expression of worry on her face. She tended to breathe in and out when she was stressed. She didn't want to accept that her best friend could possibly be in Slytherin, the enemy of Gryffindor for many ages. Ron just blocked everything out, he didn't believe it, and he didn't want to believe it. Neville just hung his head, disappointment and sad.

"But that's never happened before in all of Hogwarts history!" said Ron.

"Well if she has changed over to Slytherin, can't the school just switch her back, I mean, the sorting hat, it put her — er him in Gryffindor in first year and that cannot possibly be reversed can it?" said Neville.

The three looked at each other. They each had many questions they would like to be answered but they just had to wait.

"Can it?" repeated Neville.

"We don't know mate, all we can do now is sit it out and wait to see if it's true," said Ron.

Heather was in fact the talking point of most students on the train as the rumour spread. Low mumblings and whispers of gossip sounded from the compartments, The Daily Prophet filling their heads with reports based on pure rumours. But of course, the Prophet was telling the ‘guessed’ truth, Heather Potter had become a Slytherin.

"Did you hear? Heather Potter is now a Slytherin?"
"Why do you keep calling her Heather you twit? It's Harry!"
"It's not possible? You think that Dumbledore would be able to do something?"
"I've heard that Dumbledore is searching for a something, to tackle the curse!"
"Well what makes Heather so special?"
"She was always Dumbledore's poster boy, if it was any other student, he would do nothing!"
"Surely Heather won't stand for being a Slytherin!"

It wasn't long before the news reached Malfoy who was sitting in a compartment with his cronies Crabbe, Goyle and Pansy Parkinson, looking rather smug as he looked out the window. The expression he wore gave him an air of false superiority and elegance.

"It's an absolute disgrace!" said Malfoy disgustedly. "If what I have heard is true, Potter has indeed joined our house! This school has gone to the dogs; making a complete mockery of what us Slytherin's stand for by — by letting a Gryffindor join our house! It’s outrageous!"

"It's obviously got something to do with that 'curse' it has," said Pansy, her lip curling as if she was describing a disgusting creature.

"Yes, well I can assure you that my father will say a thing or two to Dumbledore about this. He will do everything in his power to put Potter back where he belongs!" said Malfoy.

The train chugged along over a massive stone aqueduct bridge as rain bucketed down over the beautiful landscape. Ron, Hermione and Neville sat in silence as they waited for the long journey to end. It wasn't long before everybody changed into their uniforms and robes in preparation for their arrival at Hogsmeade station. Every student was transported to the castle by the Thestral pulled carriages through the pouring rain. Their luggage was left in their dormitories to collect later. The Great Hall was soon flooding with students waiting for their start of term banquet. Professor Dumbledore stood up and tapped his glass with his wand amplifying the ringing sound across the massive hall, catching the attention of every student.

"Have you seen Heather?" whispered Ron in Hermione's ear. It took her a moment to reply before softly uttering "no" under her breath.

"Your attention please, now you are all welcome back to a new term here at Hogwarts. First I'd like to remind you all —,"

Before the Headmaster could continue, he was interrupted by the loud crashing sound of the tall doors opening at the end of the hall. Heather burst through, dressed in full Slytherin uniform, wearing a devious smirk on her face. Every student in the hall turned to the doors to see what the noise was, immediately breaking out in low chatter.

‘’Who is that?’’
‘’No, it couldn’t be!’’
‘’Who does that tramp think she is?!’’
‘’Must be a new student!’’
‘’That couldn’t be — no it can’t be!’’
‘’I think that’s Potter!’’

Dumbledore’s face dropped, disheartened to see the result of Heather’s dramatic transformation. Ron looked as if he was going to vomit his face was so pale. The silent hall started to fill with mumbling, whispering and talk as Heather casually took her seat at the Slytherin table. Dumbledore's face dropped into a slow sad expression. Heather casually walked down the aisle as if everything was normal, taking her seat at the Slytherin table.

"What do you think you're doing?" bellowed Ron, who was now standing up with his fists clenched.

‘’Ron, sit down!’’ whispered Hermione.

Heather looked over her shoulder to see who shouted.

‘’What — are you talking to me Weasley?’’ she asked confusedly.

Ron turned a sickly pale as his best friend addressed him by his surname as if he were some acquaintance or even less. The hall was in complete silence, everyone looking at Ron. Hermione was tugging at his sleeve, ordering him to sit down.

"Sit down Weasley!" ordered McGonagall.

Ron looked around the hall, then at Heather who was directing the dirtiest sneer straight into his eyes. He slowly sat down, not taking his eye off of Heather. She turned her back to him, facing the rest of the Slytherin’s who were for once lost for words.

Dumbledore searched for words, the rest of the teachers looking at him, begging for him to break the heavy silence in the hall. He opened his lips and continued the speech, the great hall, somewhat returning to normal. Although half of the room was not listening as their eyes were drawn to Heather.

Malfoy couldn't keep his eyes off of her. His eyes were fixed on her face, not glaring but staring. He wore a disturbing expression of lust as his mouth formed into a thin smile.

"I must have her," he said to Crabbe under his breath, not taking his eye off of Heather.

"What?" said Crabbe in a dopey tone of voice.

"Heather, I don't care if she used to be Saint Harry Potter, look at her!" said Malfoy.

"What's wrong with you Malfoy? Yer acting weird?" said Crabbe, arching his brow concernedly.

Malfoy broke his stare to look at Crabbe straight in the face.

"What are you trying to say?" snapped Malfoy with a threatening tone.

"N-Nothing — I - I mean — s-she does look quite err pretty?" stuttered Crabbe.

Malfoy turned back to staring at Heather as she looked at her pointed nails, bored and uninterested. He was attracted to her features. Her long blonde hair, her beautiful clear white skin, her large sparkling eyes and elegant frame left no trace of Harry whatsoever in terms of physicality. She looked the part of a pretty Slytherin school girl and Malfoy loved it.

"Pretty isn't the word Crabbe, gorgeous is what I would call her!" he smiled menacingly. "I must have her!"

As soon as the student’s stomachs were full, many began to scatter across the castle to make their way to their dormitories to go to bed. Heather had no desire to eat at all, instead sitting in silence by herself at the Slytherin table, looking satisfied with her dramatic entrance. She was one of the first to leave the banquet. Ron watched her, following her as she left the great hall. Hermione tagged along, blissfully unaware of where Ron was going.

They walked together down the corridor, Ron walking faster than Hermione as he turned the opposite direction from the Gryffindor common room.

‘’Where are you going?’’ asked Hermione.

Ron didn’t say anything, his ears turning pink with anger as he approached Heather from behind.

‘’No Ron!’’ whispered Hermione.

But it was too late. He tapped Heather on the shoulder and she stopped, turning to see who it was.

"Have you completely lost it mate?" said Ron, looking as if he were about to burst.

Hermione grabbed Ron by the arm, attempting to pull him away from the inevitable fight.

"Come on Ron! Let’s go. It is part of the curse," said Hermione tearfully through gritted teeth. ‘’There’s nothing we can do right now!’’

"NO!" bellowed Ron. "I want to know why our best friend has now turned over!"

‘’Turned over to what?!’’ said Heather, her face confused and angry.

‘’To Slytherin of course you prat!’’ said Ron.

Heather strained to think, as if she was experiencing a severe case of déjá  vu. She stepped back, looking at her two friends as tears began to form in her eyes.

"You think I want this don’t you?" said Heather, showing a glimmer of her true self. ‘’I didn’t ask for this to happen Ron!’’

"No mate, there's more to it if you ask me!" said Ron, his voice rough and coarse.

"Forget the mudblood and the spare!" hissed Alys, pulling Heather's mind back under her possession.

"Let’s GO Ron! She doesn't want to talk to us!" cried Hermione.

"T-That's not true!" said Heather, feeling hurt by Hermione's comment.

"FORGET THEM!" screeched Alys, fighting for Heather’s control once again.

"I thought you were better than this!" snarled Ron.

"RON! Don't say that!" cried Hermione.

Heather stepped back a few more steps, beginning to feel like a young child watching her parents fight. She looked at both her friends fight with each other, flashes of Alys screaming at her before her eyes. She shook her head, trying to shake off the dark possession. They were beginning to attract a lot of attention as students began to listen in on the row.

"I have been trying my best to get through this and all you can do is be selfish about it!" screamed Heather.

"Stop this now! The both of you!" cried Hermione.

‘’Leave them!’’ hissed Alys.

Heather moved further away, green light flashing before her eyes. She felt as if she was in the middle of a horrible triangle of rage as three different people wanted something different from her.

‘’What is it with you?!’’ roared Ron.

Heather rapidly drew her wand and fired a spell at Ron without uttering a word, sending him hurtling across the air like an old ragdoll and slamming against the stone ground of the corridor. By now they had attracted attention from passing students.

Heather panted heavily, feeling as if cold water had been poured over her boiling rage. Hermione looked at her with shock and tearful disappointment. Ron groaned as he picked himself up, scurrying for his wand on the dusty floor. He drew his wand and fired a spell at Heather, instead hitting the corner of the wall sending exploding stone of debris falling to the floor.

Heather pushed her way by Hermione who tried to stop her by grabbing her arm.

‘’Let go of me you filthy mudblood!’’ grunted Heather.

Hermione instantly let go, a dagger stabbing her straight through her heart, crushing the powerful friendship that she believed would never end.

Ron continued to fire spells at Heather, she blocking them all, cackling manically as she walked down the corridor, approaching him closer by the second. Ron nearly fell over each time he blocked a spell, feeling the crushing force of Heather’s new power.

‘’You had enough yet?!’’ she bellowed.

‘’Have YOU had enough yet?!’’ repeated Ron fiercely.

Then, Heather gave the final blow, sending a powerful spell hurtling towards Ron, hitting him straight in the chest. He collapsed to the ground, shaking erratically. The students in the corridor all ran to his body, gathering around and panicking.

‘’Somebody get a teacher!’’ yelled a fourth year Hufflepuff girl.

Heather stood outside the circle, her chest pumping in and out as the realisation of what she had just done dawned upon her. She walked over to the crowd, pushing her way through to see Ron, writhing on the floor, his eyes rolled back in his head and his foam dripping from his mouth.

Heather’s eyes began to water as everyone looked at her, afraid and disgusted at what she had just done. Somebody pushed by her, a man dressed in all black clothing. He knelt down by Ron’s side and turned to look at Heather. Professor Snape’s face was paler than ever, his expression shocked with disbelief.

Heather turned and ran away down the hall, the water in her eyes streaming back her cold cheeks. The amulet hidden beneath her blouse began to glow as it increased its possession over her mind. Her emotional feelings and tears quickly transformed into bitterness and rage. She felt as if she hated everyone who cared for her, Ron, Hermione and Dumbledore. These feelings were not her own, they were Alys' the Emerald Witch's.

***

Ron was rushed to the hospital wing that day. Madam Pomfrey was unable to explain what the spell had done to his body but Snape had a certain expertise in curing dark curses so he healed Ron with all his knowledge. Hermione waited by Ron’s bedside all night holding his hand, her eyes red and puffy from excessive crying. It was unsure when he would wake up but he was definitely going to live.

Heather couldn’t be found anywhere. She had vanished and no one was looking for her.

Professor Dumbledore and Snape stood on the balcony at the very top of the astronomy tower, looking over the grounds.

‘’Ms. Potter’s curse on the Weasley boy was rather — elite - an ancient curse sorcered only by the most advanced of magic-kind, impressive,’’ said Snape.

‘’Not impressive, worrying,’’ said Dumbledore. ‘’Such power did not come from Heather’s wand Severus, but from another source within.’’

‘’Mr. Weasley is very lucky to be alive, a poisonous curse like that could -,’’

‘’ — possibly harm other students,’’ said Dumbledore.

The sky began to darken as stars began to show amongst the orange clouds. The wind picked up on a cold chill as the two wizards in the balcony stood in silence, looking out across the mountains.

‘’This is beyond anything I could have imagined Severus,’’ said Dumbledore.

Snape turned to Dumbledore.

‘’Albus, there is still time,’’ he said reassuringly.

‘’Once the curse has taken near complete hold, Harry will come to me,’’ said Dumbledore.

‘’But how can you be sure -,’’

‘’I know he will Severus, trust me,’’ nodded Dumbledore.

‘’Don’t you think we’re hanging on the weakest of all possibilities Albus,’’ said Snape, raising his voice slightly. ‘’I mean how can you be sure that there will be any left of Potter once he comes for you?’’

‘’Don’t tell me you have come to care for the boy Severus?’’ said Dumbledore.

Snape didn’t answer, instead turning his head back towards the view in front of him. Dumbledore hummed as he looked at Snape’s pale, lifeless face.

‘’So if what you foresee doesn’t go to plan and the curse of the Emerald Witch takes Potter’s mind and body entirely, the boy will -,’’

‘’ — die,’’ said Dumbledore. ‘’Yes, he will die.’’

Meanwhile, Heather sat at the top of the owlery tower, within the sill on the very ledge, crying and clenching the emerald amulet.

‘’Don’t you see what these people are doing to you?’’ whispered Alys. ‘’They are tearing you apart.’’

‘’I can’t I — I — I can’t do it,’’ whimpered Heather.

‘’I can make you stronger and if we work together I know that we can achieve many great things,’’ said Alys softly.

‘’I don’t want power,’’ said Heather, exhausted and fatigued from the strain on her head. ‘’Just let me go back to who I was. I just want to be Harry, just Harry Potter.

***

The next day everything in Hogwarts was back to normal, somewhat. Students dragged themselves out of bed and forced themselves into their uniforms as the new school term begun. The morning was dull, grey and depressing, the clouds filled with threatening rain.

Heather climbed out of bed and groaned. She had slept holding amulet all night long so tightly that the palm of her hand was engrained with the designs on the ridges. She sat on the edge of her bed while other girls got dressed. They didn't take much notice of her presence as Slytherin girls tended to be very snobby towards new girls even if they were pure bloods. However, she did hear whispers from them talking about her behind her back but she didn't care.

The Slytherin girl's dormitory didn't seem as bright and happy as Gryffindor’s, it was darker and it definitely seeped in a more melancholic atmosphere. Heather brushed her thin blonde hair until it was dead straight and then took off her night gown and put on a pair of black tights. She then slipped into her grey skirt. She then put on her new grey and emerald jumper with the same white blouse underneath and silver and green stripped tie.

Heather learned throughout the day that Ron was still in the hospital wing and hadn’t woken up yet. Hermione passed her once on the corridor, completely ignoring her as if she didn’t exist. But behind her refusal to speak with the one who called her a mudblood was a strong feeling of pain and betrayal despite the fact they knew in her heart that her best friend would never mean to hurt her or Ron.

All of Gryffindor House felt betrayed too, for her turning over to the rival house, Harry Potter, their most proud asset, now a sleazy Slytherin. It not only sickened them but it hurt them too. Heather didn't care though, she didn't care about anything. All she cared for was herself and her amulet, the amulet that pulled her deeper into its evil as she began to wear it more often. It possessed her.

"Switching over to another house? That's never happened in the history of Hogwarts!"
"I wonder why Dumbledore isn’t doing anything."
"I reckon the real Harry Potter is dead and all of this is a cover up to some conspiracy!’’

***

Malfoy's keen interest in Heather grew more obsessive over the next few weeks. He went to great lengths in order to have contact with her. He would follow her down the corridor, admiring her hair and behind, sleazily smiling to himself. One day he bumped into her in the corridor on purpose, just so he could help her gather her books in the hope of striking up a conversation. But Heather had no interest in Malfoy. She had absolutely no interest in boys for that matter.

"I must have her!" said Malfoy. "I must have Heather Potter!"

"Alright we get it okay? You don't have to keep saying it about a hundred times a day!" snapped Pansy who was obviously feeling the cold stab of jealousy.

"Have you actually spoken to her yet?" asked Goyle.

"No, no not yet but I've got a plan!" he said, smirking as he stared over at Heather who was eating her lunch alone. "Ever heard of love potions?"

Meanwhile over at the Gryffindor table, Ron, freshly back on his feet after hospital, was too staring at Heather. He looked so pale that it seemed as if his warm spirit was sucked right out of him. Hermione looked worse, her eyes red raw and sagged. Ron and Hermione spent all their time together but they didn't speak much about the curse because it was just too hurtful. Hermione noticed Ron looking at Heather. He turned his head to her and their eyes met.

"She's not acting the same," said Hermione softly, "We need to help her."

"Yeah, well she obviously doesn't want it Hermione," mumbled Ron moodily as he raised a sausage to his mouth. ‘’You seen what she did to me!’’

‘’Yes but that wasn’t Harry,’’ stated Hermione. ‘’It was unnatural as if somebody else was in control!’’

‘’You think I don’t know that Hermione?’’ said Ron, swallowing un-chewed food down painfully.

There was a moment of silence, the noise of cutlery scraping against plates sounded across the Great Hall. Hermione exhaled a deep breath, shakily rubbing her eyes.

"I know what you're going through Ronald but this upsets me too!" said Hermione shakily.

Ron immediately sensed her sadness.

"Awh Hermione," said Ron reaching across the table to touch her arm. "It will get better, I know we can't give up on Heather!"

"I t-thought you were giving up?" said Hermione, wiping her tears.

"Nah never, I was being stupid," said Ron.

"You're always stupid!" laughed Hermione.

Ron gave a weary chuckled, deciding not to get offended.

"Since you’re all emotional, I'll let you off with that one!" smiled Ron.

Later that evening, Heather sat at the very top of the owl tower, situated on a large stone hill, far away from the castle. It was a cold, grey evening as a storm threatened to reign over the land. She sat on the window sill of the highest point of the tower, scrunched up in a ball, shivering with the cold. The wind whistled as it blew her blonde hair over her face. Owls squawked and squeaked as they glided about the building, circling the roof and flying through the windows and occasionally depositing the odd dropping. Heather, dressed in uniform, was staring at the emerald amulet as it produced a bright green light.

‘’It will soon be time,’’ whispered Alys. ‘’Our return is imminent, we must mark it properly.’’

‘’What do you have in mind?’’ asked Heather, now completely under the influence of the curses possession.

It took a moment for Alys to reply.

‘’Times like these, this year, this age is very different from a thousand years ago -,’’ said Alys softly. ‘’, and back then magical civilisations were ruled through fear - it is important to take as much as you can, to become stronger and to have enough power to make magical folk quiver when they hear our name.’’

Heather listened to the voice in her head carefully, not liking her tone as she talked.

‘’Fear, fear is essential for claiming a civilisation to oneself and in order to bring about fear, one must destroy the person that everyone has their complete faith and trust in.’’

‘’Are you suggesting the ministry?’’ asked Heather.

‘’No, we’re not interested in political assassinations,’’ said Alys. ‘’I think you know who we must rid of Heather, just say the name!’’

Heather opened her mouth, ready to say the name. She knew who must die but she couldn’t say the word. It took her a few moments to form the syllables.

‘’Dumbledore,’’ she whispered softly.

‘’Yes,’’ hissed Alys.

Something clicked inside Heather as she said the name, something odd, as if there was a voice screaming from the back of her mind. It was Harry.

‘’I c-can’t kill Dumbledore,’’ whispered Heather, pulling out of the curses mind control.

‘’WE WILL,’’ snapped Alys fiercely.

‘’I won’t!’’ cried Heather, pulling the amulet off from around her neck.

She was about to throw the amulet out the window of the tower, but she couldn’t. She was holding it out, dangling from the tips of her fingers, wishing she could let go but she couldn’t. She was leaning out way too far, dust and rocks falling from the sill below her. She grunted, straining to fight the influence of the Alys’ control. She pulled herself back inside the tower, gasping for air as she held her breath. She immediately fastened the amulet around her neck. She felt afraid without it, but as soon as she put it back on, that dark moody feeling returned.

"I don't want to be part of this anymore!" she said to herself darkly.

"Oh but you don't have a choice!" whispered Alys. "Together we will kill the headmaster, and then we shall be one!"

"I miss my friends, I - I want to go back to Gryffindor!" cried Heather.

"No! They are worthless cowards and play no part in what we are going to achieve!" snapped Alys. ‘’Don’t fail us because of weakness. You don’t strike me as somebody who gives up easily Potter so do the job and we can be one!’’

"I can't, I can't —,” stammered Heather, tears streaming down her face. ‘’, — I just c-can’t do it!’’

There was silence as Heather buried her head in her arms, crying, trying to fight away the evil thoughts. She looked up, looking tough and angry.

‘’I WON’T DO IT!’’ she screamed at the top of her lungs.

For a moment, nothing happened and the full feeling was freed from her mind. She thought she had beaten The Emerald Curse. Suddenly, the amulet chain tightened and began to squeeze tightly on her throat. She tried to pull it off as it dug into her skin but it was much too strong. She trashed about the place, gasping for air, wrenching and choking.

"The old man must DIE!’’ screamed Alys.

"Arrrrrgh!’’ croaked Heather, pleading for Alys to stop.

She started to feel woozy and her vision began to blur. She stumbled backwards, and flipped over the window ledge, plummeting towards the earth. The world seemed to dissolve around her as she slipped into a slow deathful trance. She stared up at the stormy clouds as lightening flashed. She thought it would be the last thing she'd ever see. Everything seemed to be suspended in slow motion as if she were having some spiritual experience. The amulet loosened and her breath returned, yet, she knew she was dead.


End of Part III

Written by Lily Florette  ©

All characters and settings are the property of J.K. Rowling  ©

Don't forget to post your thoughts and comments!

up
90 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I like it please continue

The English Teacher's picture

It will be fascinating to find out if Heather can defeat the curse.

So much to read, so little time and only one of me :)

The English Teacher

So much to read, so little time and only one of me :)

The English Teacher

I'd say Voldemort by far!

I'd say Voldemort by far! He'd whoop Emerald without hesitation!! :D

Lily Florette