Off to Seek a Wizard -9- Who Are You Calling A...

Printer-friendly version
Off to Seek a Wizard...
-9-
Who Are You
Calling A...

by Erin Halfelven

stephaniedale.png

 
"I thought you were a bear!" What was I saying? And why did the voice I had heard sound like George?

A furry head appeared in the greenery. "Really?" The voice definitely came from the head. But the teeth that were showing were large tombstones, not stalactites or stalagmites. "I'm not a bear," said George's voice. "I'm sorry for laughing at you."

I waved away the apology, I wasn't really offended. "Well, if you aren't a bear, who or what are you?" If he said he was George Marion, I was going to scream again. Then the nice nursies would come and give me a shot.

The animal stepped out of the shrubbery and looked around carefully. He had the big buck teeth of a squirrel and the round body of a teddy bear. No tail, little round ears, and bright, beady eyes that looked at me cautiously. "I'm Charles Wood, a varmint by trade," he said politely.

"A varmint?" I said, images of Yosemite Sam snorting in my mind.

"A marmot," he said. I probably misheard him the first time.

"Oh," I said. "That's different? Isn't it?"

"Yes, ma'am," he said. He called me ma'am, I almost corrected him but didn't know exactly what I was going to say so I kept quiet. He continued, "I know fairies never give their right names but what should I call you?"

"What did you call me?" I squawked.

The beady eyes looked left and right, nervously. "That's what I'm asking? What should I call you, Ms. Fairy?"

"Well, don't call me that!" I said.

"I'm sorry, sorry, Your Highness. I didn't mean to be familiar."

"You're not familiar at all, except your voice, and don't call me that either!"

"Don't call you which?" said the not-bear, looking a bit cross-eyed.

"That's right," I said. "I'm not a witch, I'm a magician."

He looked left, then right as if checking to see if a bus would hit him if he stepped off the curb. "Can we start over?" he asked meekly. "Hi, I'm Charles Wood, a marmot; I eat nuts and berries and I hide what I don't eat in holes that I dig."

"Uh, you can call me, uh, uh, Stephanie." Damn it, I'd meant to say Steffani, with the accent on the middle syllable. With my wig gone and covered in mud head to toe, it might be time to drop my disguise. Or was it? Charlie had called me ma'am and Ms, so he thought I was female.

"All right," said the marmot. What the heck was a marmot? I thought a marmot was a monkey. He looked more like some kind of rodent in the hamster family. A really big hamster since he seemed to stand a foot or more taller than me. Or, and this occurred to me for the first time right then, was he a big rodent or had I somehow gotten smaller? It wasn't that outlandish a thought in the circumstance, after all, I was having this conversation with a talking rodent after falling five miles without getting hurt!

Of course, Occam's Razor suggested that I was crazy but it would take a lot of Skintastic Gel to shave this varmint.

He took a few steps closer, not getting any smaller as he did so. But somehow, I wasn't scared of him any longer. The teeth sticking out gave him a goofy, harmless expression, like the not-too-bright cousin who always shows up at family gatherings. "Stephanie," he said. "That's a pretty name. All of you fairies always have such pretty names, usually flowers. What kind of flower is a Stephanie?"

"The kind you get for winning a contest," I said. Stephanie means a reward, I looked it up. Well, not just then, earlier before I went insane.

up
207 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

so much in so little

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I really wish I knew how you managed to tell such an intriguing and gripping story in so few words!

I googled Marmot's and my first thought on seeing the image was that it should be called Phil! Wikipedi bears that out, if you'll pardon the pun, saying they are related to the Groundhog. I'm assuming Charles is a yellow-bellied marmot given his previous actions. ;-)

Thank you for sharing this with us Erin.

 


"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life."



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

The way I write

erin's picture

The way I write is I start with a dictionary and knock off everything that doesn't look like a story. :)

Thanks for the comment and my brother says I'm being too silly. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

A marmot, eh?

Angharad's picture

sure it's not Marmite? Do marmots have poor sight or has Stephanie changed somewhat in her descent to wherever she is now? I suppose she could have said her name was Nuff.

Angharad

Angharad

A marmot?

I can't imagine the size of a bear then 8|

Curiouser and curiouser as this is slightly Narnia-like as the children met talking beavers. Definitely down the wabbit hole time. This clearly has all the elements of a dream as the marmot has George's voice. I wonder if she is merely knocked out on the plane? Oxygen deprivation might do strange things to one's head.

Kim

I think I agree with you, kimmie

that's the best explanation I've heard so far.

Dorothycolleen, member of Bailey's Angels

DogSig.png

Excellent

So now that an expert is at hand, can he tell us how much wood would Chuck Wood chuck if Chuck Wood could chuck wood?

Darn, I Feel Dumb...

...for missing that, especially since I was going to title a comment "How Much Mar Could a Marmot Mot..." (That's Walt Kelly, isn't it?)

Eric

Oh, this just gets

Better and better. Absurdities piled on absurdities and they all make a strange kind of sense in the context of the story.

Oh, yes. I should tell you I like this one.

Maggie

Dream Vote

terrynaut's picture

I think this is all just a dream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, this is just a dream. It's a very entertaining one at that.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Either that or . . .

Some really good Schedule 1 or 2 drugs. Anybody for a little peyote?

Karen J.

* * *
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. - Winston Churchill


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Well the last chapter title did say

Not to eat the mushrooms, maybe they were psilocybes or Fly Agaric(Amanita Muscaria var. Formosa)?

BTW - Still very much enjoying this tale, can't wait to see where it goes next!

The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once - Albert Einstein

The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once - Albert Einstein

Pigment of the Imagination

With the marmot I suspect this might be a “Rocky Mountain High” or perhaps it’s just a pigment of a very colorful imagination.

Michelle B

I keep saying

I keep saying i live in the land down under and the blood has gone to my head this doesn't get any better:)
Hugs Roo

ROO Roo1.jpg

ROO

Occam's Razor

Daphne Xu's picture

"Of course, Occam's Razor suggested that I was crazy but..." Actually, Occam's Razor would suggest that she was dead and in the after-life. So the alternative of a good shave for the varmint isn't possible? Occam's Razor is by now way overused, probably, and has consequently gone dull. And why does the varmint sound like George?

Did they land in Oz, where nobody every dies? Anyone having every bone in his body broken survives?

-- Daphne Xu