Sam & Jess (Revised) - 01

Printer-friendly version
Sam & Jess
Chapter 01
 ©2010-2012 - Andrea Ribeiro
Thanks to Hope Eternal Reigns for editing.

  

As usual my day starts with the alarm ringing and of course it means it’s another school day. I sigh and get up to get ready for another crappy day.

You must be thinking I hate school right now, actually I love to learn, I am a straight A student and a bookworm, the problem is that I’m a social outcast, ignored by most and bullied by some. I can’t seem to fit in anywhere, even with the nerds, though they are considered social outcasts by most. They get along fine among themselves, I on the other hand am always alone. Being small doesn’t help either, I am 16 years old, a high school junior and just about 5’4”. All of the guys and most of the girls are taller than I am.

After the shower, I dried myself and looked closely at my face reflected by the mirror looking for any sign of facial hair and like always, I find nothing. It kind of became a habit of mine. That’s another thing that makes me the laughing stock among the boys at my school, all of them are already shaving daily and me, nothing, no bulking up, no shaving and my voice hasn’t cracked yet, that and the damn incident last year.

I wrapped my towel around my waist and went to my room to change. Like always, I put on a baggy t-shirt and a pair of jeans. No I didn’t care much about my appearance and why should I? No one would talk to me anyway.

I walked downstairs and my mother was setting up the breakfast table. “Good morning, sweetheart. Did you sleep well?” she asked me.

“Fine” I grunted

“Rough night?” She asked me.

“Weird dreams.” I said. It is true, lately I been having strange dreams, but I can’t remember them when I wake up, just a feeling that I had strange dreams.

I picked up a slice of toast with peanut butter and a glass of orange juice for my breakfast. “You need to eat more than that.” My mother admonished me.

“I’m not very hungry mom.”

“I still think you should eat more, you are too skinny.”

“Mooom!”

“I know, I know. But I do worry about you.” She said.

“I have to go, mom. See you tonight.” I said, giving her a peck on the cheek.

“Have a nice day at school, sweety.”

“Byeee!”

  

###


  

It was a pleasant day, and I started to walk towards the school like I do every day, (weather permitting) after all I live just under a mile away.

There was a nice breeze and just a couple small white clouds in the sky ‘It’s a shame to spend such a nice day inside a classroom.’ I thought.

Walking along lost in thought, I suddenly bumped into something soft and fell down. I looked up and that ‘something’ was the most beautiful girl I’d ever seen. Looking at her I completely forgot about my compromising position, completely mesmerised by the beauty in front of me.

“Hey, are you okay?” She asked me.

“Huh?”

“I asked if you are okay.”

“I....I guess so.” I said, trying to get up.

“Here let me help you.” She said, while extending her hand to me.

I took it and she helped me up. “T... thanks” I murmured.

“You're welcome.”

“Sorry for bumping into you. I was distracted.” I said.

“Don’t worry about it, I wasn’t paying attention either.” she said and giggled. “My name is Jessica by the way, what’s yours?”

“S.. Sam.”

“Nice to meet you Sam. Are you walking to school too?”

“Yes, I’m a high school junior.”

“Kewl, I’m a junior too, maybe we will end up in the same classroom. I just moved into town so I don’t know anyone yet. Today it’s my first day at school.”

“I’m pretty sure you’ll have lots of friends soon.”

“Want to walk together to school?” She asked with pleading eyes.

“Sure, I'd like the company.” I said. ‘Too bad it will probably be the last time too. After today she will probably ignore me like the rest of them.’

“I hope you don’t think I’m strange asking you this, but aren’t you a little young to be a junior?”

“I am 16 years old.” I said and sighed again

“Really? I thought you didn’t look older than 13, 14 tops.”

“I keep getting that, it’s annoying sometimes.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t want to upset you.” She said dejectedly.

“Don’t worry, it happens to me all the time, and it won’t be the last I’m sure.”

“A late bloomer?”

“I guess.” I said shrugging.

  

###


  

A few minutes later we were getting close to the school building and Jessica said. “It was nice to have bumped into you, Sam. I feel like I just made my very first friend here.”

Hearing that my eyes started to water, Its been a long time since anyone called himself or herself my friend. “Thanks for saying that Jess, but I don’t think you’ll want to be my friend when the school day is over.”

“Why wouldn’t I want to be your friend?” she asked me confused.

“You’ll see.” It’s all I said.

“I don’t get it. You seem very nice. You are not crazy are you?”

That made me smile a little and I said. “No, I’m not.”

“Why don’t we meet outside after school and walk home together?”

I shrugged and said. “Sure, why not?”

“Great, see you later then.” She said giving me a quick hug and then going inside.

  

###


  

Getting to my locker this morning wasn’t so bad. I was just tripped and had my books dropped on the floor once. Once I locked the door I was suddenly shoved against it and I heard someone say. “Get out of the way, girly-boy.” I just sighed and made my way to homeroom.

I sat down on my usual place in the front of the classroom and waited for the bell to ring. ‘It’s going to be a looooog day.’ I thought to myself

Once the bell rang, Miss Bell, our teacher came inside, did the roll call and said. “Good morning, everyone. Today we have a new student starting at our school, Miss Jessica Ann Campbell. Please make her feel welcome here. Jessica, you can sit behind Stephanie.” She said pointing to the empty seat a few rows behind me.

Jessica looked around before sitting down and our eyes meet. She gave me a smile and sat down. Soon the other girls were chatting with her. ‘That’s it, in a little while she will never speak to me again.’

During the morning I had two other classes with her, I saw her looking at me sometimes but she was always surrounded by the other girls wanting to get to know her.

At lunch as usual I avoided the cafeteria, as I usually ended up with food on my hair or my clothes wet because some jock would ‘accidentally’ drop something liquid all over me.

The afternoon was pretty calm and soon it was time to go home. I decided to not wait for Jessica as she probably won’t appear anyway.

When I got outside, she was already waiting for me. She had a strange look on her face ‘I have a bad feeling about this.’ I thought to myself.

“Hi... Jess.” I said meekly.

“Are you really a boy?”

“What?”

“I thought you were a girl. Why didn't you tell me you were a boy?"

“Why would I need to? I never said I was a girl, and my name is Sam, not exactly girly, is it?”

“I thought it was short for Samantha.” She said.

“See? I told you this morning that before the day was over, you wouldn’t want to be my friend anymore.” I said feeling the tears coming and started to run away.

“Wait.” She said running after me. “I’m sorry. It was thoughtless of me to do that, and I still want to be your friend.”

“Really? Do you still want to be my friend?” I said sobbing.

“Of course I do. Come on let’s go get something to eat, my treat.”

“Okay.” I said meekly.

  

###


  

We walked in silence to a dinner nearby and sat down in a booth, Soon a waitress came by and said. “Good afternoon girls, what can I do for you today?”

“I’ll just want a tuna salad and a diet coke please.” Jess said.

“And you, miss?”

“Huh? The same I guess.” I said deciding to not to correct her and cause her embarrassment.

“Okay, so its 2 tuna salads and 2 diet cokes, right?”

“Right.” we both said at the same time.

After the waitress left, Jess looked at me and said. “The waitress thought you were a girl."

“I noticed.” I said and sighed.

“Why didn’t you say anything?”

“And cause her embarrassment? She would look at me strangely and probably wouldn't be very friendly towards us after that. It happens all the time, i got tired of correcting people.”

“Are you sure you are a boy?” She asked me.

“Yes I’m sure. Do I have to prove it to you?” I asked starting to get angry.

“I’m sorry, It’s just that you look so much like a girl that it’s hard to believe you are a boy.”

“I don't think I started my puberty yet."

“Have you seen a doctor about it? It’s not normal to get to 16 without starting puberty.”

“No I haven’t. Do you think I should?”

“Of course you should. What if there is something wrong with you? The sooner you find out, the sooner you can get it fixed.”

“Now you are starting to worry me.”

“Both my parent’s are doctors, my dad is a GP and my mother is a Pediatrician. If you want you could talk to them first.”

“You think they would talk to me?”

“I don’t see why not.”

“When do you think I should talk to them?”

“My mother must be home already, why not right after we leave here?”

“That soon?”

"No time like the present."

“You are not trying to wind me up, are you?” I asked her.

“Why would you think that?”

“Because I’m not used to people being nice to me, that’s all. I'm used to people ignoring me or trying to beat me up.”

“You are having a hard time, aren’t you.”

At that moment the waitress get back with our orders so I just nodded. We ate in silence because I didn't know what to say. It’s been so long since someone my age treated me like a friend that I just wanted to savour that feeling.

  

###


  

After we finished eating, Jess paid the bill and we walked to her home, once inside, she yelled, “MOM, I’M HOME!” almost making me deaf.

“Hey sweety, how was school today, her mom asked walking out of the kitchen.

“It was great mom, I also made a new friend. Sam, this is my mom. Mom, meet Sam.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Sam. I hope my daughter has treating you well.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Dr. Campbell. She has been great to me so far.”

“That’s good to hear, so are you staying for dinner?”

“We just ate a tuna salad, mom.” Jess said.

“Well, dinner will only be served at 7 so there is time till then for you to get hungry. Why don’t you girls go do your homework and I’ll call you when dinner is served.”

“Huh... mom?”

“Yes sweety?”

“Sam is not a girl.”

“What?” She asked and looked at me

“Sam is a boy.”

“Oh I’m so sorry, Sam.” She said to me.

“Actually that’s why I brought him here, mom. He said his puberty didn’t start yet.”

“Is that true?” She asked me.

“Yes ma’am.”

“My daughter made you open up to her, didn’t she?”

“I don’t know how she did it, but she makes you want to trust and talk to her.” I said.

“How old are you Sam?”

“16 and half ma’am.”

“Don’t ma’am me, young man, call me Catherine or Cathy.” She admonished me.

“Okay ma’... I man Cathy.”

“That’s better. Why don’t we call your parents and ask them to come have dinner with us?”

“It’s just me and my mom, my father died when I was 12 in a car accident.”

“I’m sorry, Sam.” Both Jess and her mom said at the same time.

“Don’t worry about that, It was a long time ago.” I said.

"Why don't you two go to Jessica's room and do your homework?"

I gave Cathy my home number we went upstairs while she called my mom from the living room.

A few minutes later she came upstairs and said. “Your mother will be here for dinner, Sam. Rich will be here by then too.”

“Rich?” I asked.

“My father.” Jess told me.

“Oh great, I just met the girl today and she is introducing me to her parents already. if things continue progressing this way I’ll be married by the weekend.” I said trying to look serious and Jess started to laugh, and of course that made me laugh too.

  

###


  

We did finished our homework and Jess went to take a shower and change. I could use one too, but of course I didn’t have a change of clothes. When she came back from the bathroom she was just wearing a pink bathrobe. ‘God she is so beautiful.’

She went to her closet and started to choose her clothes. She picked up a pink tank top and asked me what I thought about it.

Needless to say I was blushing like mad and avoiding to look at her. "I... I think I should go downstairs while you change, Jess. I am a boy, remember?"

She looked at me for a second, blushed and said "Oh, I'm so sorry Sam. I forgot completely."

I shrugged and said "Don't worry, I'm used to it." I said and went downstairs.

I went to the kitchen and asked Cathy if she needed any help. “Do you know how to cook?” She asked me.

“Yes ma’.. I mean Cathy. I often cook at home. I love to cook, It’s something that relaxes me.”

“Okay, then you can help me by chopping the vegetables that are on the table.”

“Yes, ma’am.” I said and did a mock salute.

She just giggled and I went to work on my duty.

A few minutes later Jess came in and started to help too. With everyone helping, cooking became very fun and a pleasant activity, and before we noticed everything was ready and it was almost 7. We set the table want went to the living room wait for the rest to arrive. Like magic, as soon we sat down to relax, Jess’ father arrived and less than a minute later my mom arrived too. Introductions were made and soon we were all having a very nice dinner.

“Everything tastes great tonight Cathy.” Jess' father said.

“I had great help.” She said looking at us.

“I hoped my son didn’t give you any trouble.” My mom said.

“Mooom.”

“Son?” I head him ask.

‘Damn it, not him too?’ I thought to myself.

“I thought Sam was your daughter.” he said.

“Actually hon, that’s why Jess brought Sam here today. She met him when she was going to school today and they are in the same homeroom. She got him to open up to her and found out his puberty didn’t start yet.” Cathy said.

“How the heck she managed to get all that out of the poor boy on the first day?” Dr. Campbell asked impressed.

“What can I say? I have a gift.” Jess simply said like it’s no big deal.

“So, Jess, why did you bring him to us today?” He asked.

“Well, daddy, you know it isn’t normal for someone to not have, like, started their puberty when they were over 16, right?”

“Right.” He said.

“So... Sam is 16 and half years old, but look like he is 13 or 14, maybe even a little younger than that, so I thought you could, like, answer some questions or direct him to someone to check him up.”

“And I invited his mom so she could be aware of what’s happening if she didn’t know already.” Cathy said.

“I had no idea he that it was happening, or maybe should I say not happening? He never said anything to me.” My mother said.

“Mom, you already have a lot to worry about and I didn’t want to worry you.” I said.

“Oh sweetheart, I’ll always worry about you. You are my baby.” She said hugging me.

“Not in front of others mom, please.” I said blushing.

I looked at Jess and she was smiling. ‘At least she isn’t laughing at me.’

  

###


  

After dinner, Dr. Campbell said he wanted to see me at the hospital he worked at 8:00 in the morning for a checkup.

We said our goodbyes and I promised Jess I would call her tomorrow.

Soon we were home and I went upstairs to have a shower and sleep thinking of the appointment tomorrow. It took me a while for me to be able to sleep as I was nervous about the next day's appointment. ‘I hope there is nothing wrong with me, but if there is, I’m sure they will be able to fix it, right?’

  


  
To be continued….
  

Comments are so important to the author that this will be reposted until everyone at BC leaves at least one comment. That is the truth, or my name isn’t Robert Redford.(Although I would much rather be a young Teri Hatcher.)

up
181 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I enjoyed the first version

I enjoyed the first version of this story, and I am sure I will enjoy your new version. Although I haven't noticed any revisions. But it has been a while since I read your original.

--Brandon Young

--Brandon Young

In the first chapter it was

In the first chapter it was just some minor changes, but the changes will become more apparent in the future.

Hugs,
Andrea

First, I gotta apologize

I didn't realize you needed this right away, or I'd have prioritized it, and I'm very sorry.

Second, Hooray! Sam and Jess is bgack! I'm even looking forward to reading the chapters I've already read. Will we see more of Joan, too?

Wren

Revision what revision.

I loved the first version but I always read the revisions and try to see how the editing was done. So fat the nips and tucks are invisible. I will keep watching for more installments.

The only bad question is the one not asked.

The only bad question is the one not asked.

My only comment is ...

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

That is was me, not Andrea, who wrote that 'request' for comments. Hee hee hee hee

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

I loved this story, I don't

I loved this story, I don't remember much of it though (mixing it up with another one I think).

Glad to see a revision,

Grtz & hugs,

Sarah xxx

Sam & Jess (Revised) - 01

Wondering what will be found out about Sam.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Thank you Andrea,

ALISON

I am just going to read the story to find out what happens to Sam,I just love
a good story and remember the first time vaguely(being old and decrepit:)

ALISON

sam and jess

it was good first time, im sure it will be even better this time. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

Interesting!!

Pamreed's picture

Sam is lucky to have bumped into Jess!! The examination
il be interesting!! Something is going on with Sam.
Maybe it will be Samantha after!!!