Off to Seek a Wizard -4- An Extra Mile in Her Shoes

Printer-friendly version
Off to Seek a Wizard...
-4-
An Extra Mile in Her Shoes

by Erin Halfelven

stephaniedale.png

 
We finally take off almost three hours late. The bad weather has apparently blown itself out and we're on our way. I'm so excited I almost leaned over and hugged George but remembered in time that I'm not really a girl and he might get the wrong idea.

We climbed up out of the smog and we could see mountains! It's summer in Southern California so the hills are brown and only near the top are the mountains green. There's a tiny bit of snow left on the north side of Old Baldy.

George says it was probably artificial snow for the ski nuts who wanted to keep skiing as long as they could. I said there was entirely too much of it for it to all be artificial, you couldn't make enough off of a few fools with boards tied to their shoes to pay for that much fake snow.

He didn't have an answer to that so he just laughed. He has a nice laugh and I laughed too.

We flew over those mountains and then some desert and more mountains and the plane had to go higher. About that time my feet started hurting. My shoes are maryjanes with hardly any heel to them at all but they are patent leather and they don't have a lot of give to them.

"My shoes are getting too tight," I said to George.

"I doubt your shoes are shrinking," he said. "Your feet are probably swelling from the change in altitude."

"Ow, who are you, Mr. Science?" I said. "Ow. Are you saying I've got big feet?" I asked. It was the first thing he'd said that wasn't so nice.

"You could take them off," he suggested.

"I don't think so, I've had them all my life and that would make a bloody mess, don't you think?"

"I meant the shoes," he said. He grinned at me.

"Oh, I don't think I could," I said.

"If they've gotten so tight you're not sure you can get them off you better take them off for sure."

"No, I mean. What if... Uh, what if...." I couldn't say it.

"What if your feet smell bad?" Now he was down two. Boys should never talk about your feet, it's a lose-lose topic.

"Well, what if they do?" I said whimpering a little. "And what if I can't get them back on when we get where we're going?"

"Ask a flight attendant, they probably see problems like this all the time."

"I don't... They're... Oh!" I said.

"You should have worn comfortable shoes," he said. Strike three!

"You're not helping," I said.

He turned away and signaled to the flight attendant. "Miss," he called out.

I wanted to kick him but my feet might burst and the shrapnel would make a hole in the plane and we would all die. So I just pouted. Mom showed me how and I'm really good at it.

Flight attendants on Emerald Airlines, all women on this flight, wore a very smart skirt-suit in a brighter green than my dress and the cutest little hats that looked sort of military, if everyone in the military were a girly-girl.

One of them came over, her name tag said Sarah, and George told her what was wrong. I nearly did kick him.

"If they are really hurting, you can go to the lavatory and take them off. We can give you a little bag to put them in your carry-on. And we've got shower flops you can wear off the plane." She smiled.

"You do?" I said. "I never heard of airlines offering sandals to people." George got up to let me out and got my carry-on down and handed it to me. I followed Sarah down the aisle, carrying my purse, too.

She stopped at a cleverly hidden storage cabinet and used a key to open it and took our a clear plastic bag holding a pair of shower flops, green of course. "We're Emerald Airlines," she said. "We go the extra mile for you."

"Just as long as you stop at the end of the runway," I said but I said it under my breath.

up
203 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I actually can cycle

Angharad's picture

faster than this story is moving, but I absolutely love it.

Angharad

Angharad

Oh come on!

It's really not THAT slow. ;)

Robi

I'm sure that it won't take

I'm sure that it won't take more than another 1500 episodes or so to meet the Wizard.

I love it too!

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Ouch...

ZING! lol...

--SEPARATOR--

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Ouch. I know that feeling on

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Ouch. I know that feeling on flights. Moving around regularly helps as well. Mind you, for a not-so-great-plane the cabin crew seem second to none! Much better than the service on my last flight where they looked at you like you were some sort of bug.

Another enjoyable chapter and the final line was very chuckleworthy as well. Thank you. :-)

 


"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life."



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

I fly alot for work

KristineRead's picture

And have this problem.

My doctor recently recommended gradual compression socks, but said to avoid the medical ones that are outrageously expensive.

I found our local supermarkets carries an opaque knee high that is gradual compression, so I've started wearing these. I told my mother, who does not know Kristy is still very much alive, over the holidays that I'm just following doctors orders. So I get to wear them and not worry if she notices. As I said, I don't care if they are really women's (yes I do!) they work.

Hugs Kristy

I have to admit

'she' seems to be well trained. I don't think I was ever that prepared for my early outings. And yes, George is making a bit of a hash of it. I like the story though.

Edit: Oh and I wear sneakers when I fly and since they are running shoes, are very tolerant of feet swellings.

Kim

"We go the extra mile for you."

cool airline. As for George, well, he meant only the best ....

Dorothycolleen, member of Bailey's Angels

DogSig.png

Flying Feet

terrynaut's picture

I've never noticed my feet swelling but I always wear walking/running shoes. No matter. I still like this chapter. I especially like how she kept a count of how many times George annoyed her. It was almost as though she thought he had a chance before he got three strikes.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Swelling

Erin, Just found time to catch up,Love the story, The swelling of feet has always been a problem for me. but these days I wear those hospital grade compression stockings to stop the swelling if the flight is any longer then an hour.

How many strikes will she give George before he considered out?

ROO Roo1.jpg

ROO

Loved that last sentence!

Really good story! I loved the humor!

Wren

flip flopper

I hope Stephanie realizes that she'll need to take her stockings off to wear flip flops. (Which is why the flight attendant is sending her to the lavatory.)

She's actually wearing tall socks

erin's picture

...not true stockings even if she calls them that. But yeah. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Feet

Daphne Xu's picture

I suppose in a sense, there's precedence in the franchise for Emerald Flip-Flops -- the Ruby Slippers and the Silver Shoes. But it's a rather strange motif, still.

-- Daphne Xu

Her feet

I wonder what color are her toenails.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna