Somewhere Else Entirely -41-

Printer-friendly version

Garia sees what some men in the Large Training Room are doing, and it gives her an idea. Unfortunately, this proves to be slightly more revolutionary than usual and only receives a cautious assent from the King. Now, all she has to do is to make her wish into reality...

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

41 - I Can Do That!


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



The week that followed the unexpected arrival of Garia's second Call was the worst that she had ever experienced in either of her two lives. The release of hormones triggered off an immense emotional storm that blew her away, and made her notorious in the palace.

It was impossible for her to undertake any of her normal duties, and the time was mostly spent in her suite, surrounded by those concerned for her welfare. Sometimes she would be depressed, at others manic, agitated, irritated, furious, desolate or merely exhausted. As were many of those who attended her. By the second day the Queen had had enough and confined her to bed, where she lay weeping and heartbroken. Terys discovered, as she had suspected, that Garia was feeling for her lost home, parents and friends, and there was nothing anyone could do to remedy the fact. All she could do was to comfort the girl and tell her that her new family would look after her as well as it could until a way was found for her to return home.

The third day Garia had a blazing temper, since no-one would let her out of the suite. She swore at Jenet as they washed, but Jenet just let it roll over her and carried on. She had previous experience of what young girls could go through and accepted that nothing said was seriously intended. Garia also swore at Merizel, who initially blanched but then recognized what her friend was going through and merely gathered her into a hug until the unwilling girl relaxed and sagged against her.

She managed, successfully, to avoid swearing at Terys, and the Queen could see what a big effort it cost her. Terys tried to distract Garia with conversation but the young girl's mind was stuck in a rut of despair. Only the appearance of Keren during the fourth day managed to improve her mood. He reminded her of her mental calming exercises and she managed to bring herself more properly under control, only for her to run with embarrassment into her bedroom as she realized how badly she had treated everyone.

"Oh, Your Majesty!" she said later that day, "I've been so horrible to everyone. How can you all possibly forgive me?"

"My dear, it has been unusually bad for you this time. I would be surprised if you have many calls like this in the future. I remember when I was about your age there were one or two occasions when I suffered as bad a time as you have this week but fortunately it is not always so. We women know that such may happen, especially to a young girl who is not used to the ways of her own body as a grown-up woman would be." Terys smiled at Garia, who was gathered in the Queen's arms yet again. "If you wish to apologize, then do so, but we all understand what you have been going through and can sympathize with you."

"Ma'am, I must apologize! I've behaved very badly towards you all, and you don't deserve it from me. How can I ever face anyone again?"

Terys smiled again. "You will see, dear. What is happening to you is only what is expected of a girl child your age. By this time next week, you will wonder what all the fuss was over."

"If you say so, ma'am."

The Queen thought it best that Garia stayed away from the normal palace routine for several further days, until her flow had finished and her senses came back to normal. Then, after a single day of light activity, she swung back into her schedule with a vengeance. Mornings were usually to be spent in the Self Defense Training Room, afternoons in learning to read and write the local script, evenings occupied by meetings with the Council and any interested parties.

Still it rained. It was not a continuous downpour, but varied from steady light drizzle through heavy rain to the occasional extreme deluge. Garia discovered why every courtyard in the palace had a cloister going round it, and why the surface of those courtyards were usually one or two steps below the level of that in the cloisters. Each courtyard was now a paddling pool, the drains barely keeping pace with the incoming rain.

On the very rare occasion when the rains actually stopped for brief periods, work parties hurried outside to attend to vital maintenance, such as repairing overloaded guttering, fixing leaking tiles or clearing choked drains. Another aspect of the rains was brought to Garia's attention when she noticed parties of guardsmen and servants patrolling the corridors, each carrying a small crossbow.

"What are those men doing, Keren?"

"You remember we talked about those rodents, one day when we were working in the laboratory? Underneath the palace are some huge stone-lined tunnels built, it is said, by the Chivans long ago. Those are the only reason the palace and much of the Old Town aren't flooded each year. That's where the labris usually live. Of course, during the rains, the tunnels are flooded and so they are forced out, up and into the buildings above."

"The men are hunting the... labris, right?"

"Yes. You'll notice the quarrels they use are blunt and have a leather pad wrapped round them. That's enough to kill or at least stop a lab, but it means they won't damage the woodwork if they miss."

She met with Tarvan in the Laboratory one afternoon, where he showed her samples of the coal which had been collected at her request. She spent a bell with him, Keren and Merizel talking about the material, what it was made of, how it could be converted into coke and what to do with the gases which were driven off. She finally burned part of each sample in the furnace to show them that you could indeed burn rocks, provided they were the right kind.

Tarvan designed a simple iron container that could be used to produce samples of coke for steel-making and they talked about ways of large scale coke production, about which neither really had much knowledge. Finally, just before he left to return to the Guild with his designs, he asked a question of Garia.

"Milady, Master Parrel says that you wished to employ me as your assistant for a time here in the palace. Is the production of coke the reason for your request?"

"Actually, Tarvan, no it isn't." She gave him an appraising glance. "How would you like to become the very first engineer in your world in an entirely new field of study?"

"Milady? I thought that was what I was doing."

She smiled at him. "No, I have something entirely different in mind for you. It's something that will be completely different and should allow you to do many things you probably consider impossible at the moment. Are you interested?"

"Of course, milady. What is it?"

"I plan to make you your world's first electrical engineer." He frowned at the strange word. "I'll explain in detail as we go along, of course. What we'll need to start with are some simple apparatus, which I can tell you how to make and roughly how it all works, and then we can take it from there. It will all be simple bench experiments and most of what we'll need will be small sheets of various metals and lengths of copper wire. Would that be a problem?"

"You mentioned copper wire before, milady," he said slowly. "This is what you were thinking of, wasn't it?"

"It was. Oh, the Prince will probably involve himself in our experiments. Do you have a problem with that?"

"Not at all, milady. I'd be honored. Will you describe what we'll need, then? I assume you wish me to make or otherwise provide the parts required."

There was a discussion, Tarvan and Keren becoming more puzzled by the moment as Garia described what she wanted the former to make. Nevertheless, she was content when they parted that the next step had been taken. It would take as long to develop as the steel industry would, but the benefits of using electricity to transfer power across country would make a considerable improvement in the rate of progress and likely save them some effort and prevent pollution as well.

I'm just short-circuiting the process a little. Hah! See what I did there? Let's get some simple motors and generators going, and see if anyone can guess what the benefits might be. I'll need some storage as well, simple cells and maybe some lead-acid batteries. Wonder if they know what Sulfuric Acid is? I need to talk to Gerdas, I think. Time to meet some chemists.

~o~O~o~

The following morning, and her training was going very well. All of her 'file' now understood the basics and were rapidly mastering the throws and positions which Garia knew. She had introduced them to the disabling and killing punches and kicks and they were cautiously trying them out on one another. The whole team was coming together well, and she was confident that their standard would soon do any Earth dojo proud.

After tidying up the room not long before the bell for lunch, the group walked out into the Large Training Room, where the new recruits were being put through their paces. Some were being drilled, some were practicing with wooden swords, some were being instructed in the intricacies of armor. On one side, several men were grouped around each of three frayen, while an experienced guardsman introduced them to the animals.

"It is rare, milady," Feteran said when he saw where she was looking, "for most to be unfamiliar with frayen, but always possible. If the man lived in the city, for example, or perhaps was a fisherman or a hunter in the marshes. Every guardsman must know how to ride a frayen, though, so we teach those who do not know how. Of course, knowing how to ride is but the first step, they must also learn how to fight while mounted."

"I can do that," she said. "Ride, that is. We didn't fight on horseback where I came from."

"Horseback, milady?"

"We have a riding animal which is somewhat bigger than a frayen, Feteran, called a horse. I've ridden one for years." She looked thoughtfully at the groups around the animals. "Do you think Captain Bleskin would let me try to ride one of those, Feteran?"

Feteran looked worried. "Milady, it is not -" He paused, considering, before nodding reluctantly. "Milady, perhaps you should ask him yourself." He pointed.

Garia, Keren, Feteran and Merizel made their way through the crowded room to reach Bleskin's side. He saw them coming and saluted as they neared.

"Highness, Milady. What can I do for you this morning?"

"Captain. I saw your men with those frayen, and it got me to wondering. Do you think I could try riding one?"

Bleskin frowned. "Milady, we do not keep the chairs here, of course, being all men," he smiled, "besides yourself, of course. Shall I send to the stables for one?"

"Chairs?" Garia remembered the ride down the mountain with Tanon. "Ah, No! I mean, no, that's not what I meant, captain. On Earth we have a riding animal called a horse which is larger than the frayen here. I have been riding horses there for perhaps," how do I express the number of Earth years without making it too complicated? Ah. "...about half my life, I guess. I want to see if I can ride a frayen like the men do. Would that be possible, do you think?"

Bleskin first looked shocked and then extremely unhappy. "Milady..." He reddened. "Perhaps... this is not the best place to discuss this matter. Your room, would it now be empty? We should go somewhere where we can hear ourselves speak."

"As you wish, captain."

Keren looked at Garia with an obscure expression on his face, but made no comment. He turned and led the way back to the smaller room, where Bleskin closed the doors before turning to Garia.

"Milady," he began again. "It is not customary for women to ride as the men do, because..." he reddened and turned towards Keren. "Highness, help me, please. I find this discussion uncomfortable."

Keren was puzzled. "Captain, I know that women have customarily used a chair instead of a saddle, but it occurs to me that I have no idea why. Of course, what may be true in Alaesia may not be true on Earth, and it may never have occurred to the Baroness that we do things another way. Why do we ride differently, captain?"

"Highness, I am sorely pressed, this is not something I ever thought I had need to explain. Milady, forgive me, I must be blunt. It is because..." Bleskin reddened again, finding the words difficult to select. "It is because of the different physical arrangements of our bodies, milady," he finally managed to say. "There are considerations... perhaps like those you experienced recently."

Ah! A light dawns! Oh, the poor man, having to try and be delicate like that. Let's see if I can soften the blow here. After all, women have ridden horses on Earth since forever, haven't they? I can't see as how there would be any difficulty here. Looks like they're more concerned with, hum, fluids leaking out onto the saddles.

"Oh, captain! I'm sorry, I didn't realize," she said. "I understand what you're saying now. Oh, I don't think you need worry about anything like that. Generally women know what their limits are when... such matters occur. I can assure you that, where I come from, as many women ride as do men and we have done so for thousands of years. I know I'll have to make changes before I can ride here, especially since the animals are different than what I'm used to, but I don't really see that as a big problem."

"If you say so, milady, then I must accept that you know what you speak about. Tell me something of these horses of yours, if you would."

"Captain, a horse is generally larger than the frayen I saw out in the main room, although we have many breeds that are different sizes. The ones I rode, the back would be about as high as the head of a frayen is, and they must have weighed about double. They're about similar in shape, but they don't have a hard hide like a frayen but a slightly softer hairy hide. The head is completely different, though they have the same number of eyes and ears, one nose and so on. Does that help?"

"It does, milady. But, you are smaller yourself now, compared to... before."

"True, captain, but the frayen is also smaller. I don't really see our different sizes as a problem."

Bleskin wrestled with the problem for a while before turning to Garia.

"Milady, you ask for something that to my knowledge has never been done in Palarand before. It is possible, of course, that there are places beyond the Valley where such practices are considered normal, but not here." He smiled at her for the first time since she had broached the subject. "Of course, there are many things that have never been done in Palarand before, and you are the source of most of them, so I would not refuse you on that account alone. I wonder, however, at the reaction of His Majesty's people when they see you riding in such a fashion - since that is your intention, isn't it?"

She inclined her head. "Captain, logically it would follow that eventually I would be seen by the public, yes."

"Then, milady, I must ask that we refer this question to Their Majesties for judgment. Eating one's meal with a fork is one matter, seeing a woman riding a frayen entirely another."

Garia hadn't expected much else, but was still disappointed. "As you wish, Captain Bleskin. Your advice is well received." She raised an eyebrow at Keren. "Can we talk to them after lunch, do you think?"

"It won't take them long to decide," he replied, "we can probably fit in a meeting before we go for our nap. Shall I mention it when we go in to eat?"

"Please. The sooner we know what I can do the better, I think."

Keren frowned. "Those jeans of yours, were they the kind of trousers one would wear to ride on Earth? I seem to remember you telling us about farm workers riding beasts to control herds of meat animals."

"Yes, that's right. The material jeans are made of is hard-wearing enough to ride in. Oh! I catch your drift. No, I wouldn't be dressing like that here, I don't think. It will be bad enough putting me on the back of a frayen in any case. No, I think I'll have to do what I did for the exercises, that is to experiment to find out something that will let me do what I need to and still appear reasonable to the eyes of people here." Now it was her turn to frown. "I never gave that part of it a thought, actually. I thought I'd just hop up dressed as I am now."

Bleskin became interested despite himself. "You would wear a skirt to ride in, milady? How would that be possible?"

"Um, captain, you do remember I wasn't female when I rode on Earth? I can tell you that when I left, women wore mostly the same to ride as men did, which is to say pretty much what I was wearing when I arrived on Anmar. Before-days they wore long skirts or divided skirts, which were sort of trousers with very wide legs, I suppose. There was a kind of saddle used a long time ago called a side-saddle used exclusively by women wearing skirts. If I remember correctly that had a sort of hook standing up above the saddle the woman wrapped her legs around to stop her sliding off. I don't think I'll be introducing that here, though." She looked thoughtful. "Hmm, I'll have to give saddles and clothing a good long thought, I think." She smiled at her companions. "Perhaps we ought to go and change for lunch?"

~o~O~o~

"Milady? Garia," Robanar addressed her as they gathered in his parlor. "Captain Bleskin tells me you have a desire which may need careful consideration."

"Sire, I do. With your permission?"

Robanar nodded and she began.

"Sire, I wish to ride a frayen as the men do. I have ridden larger animals than those before I came to Anmar, and have done so for about half my life. In my country the young people like me spend most of their days going to school, as I have told you before. There are vacation periods at certain times of year, when we don't attend school, and the longest of these is in summer. When we return to school after the summer vacation that's when we usually go up to the next grade in class. The reason the longest vacation is in the late summer is so that in rural areas the children can help get the harvest in, but of course most of us aren't born on farms any more so we do other things instead. What used to happen to me was that my parents and I would travel to my Uncle Brad's farm and spend the summer vacation there. Sometimes, if Dad was especially busy, I would just go with my Mom and the last two years, as I'm older, I've traveled there on my own.

"Now Uncle Brad has a big farm of... cattle. They're large animals, bigger than frayen but not as big as dranakh, I guess. It's a dairy farm, not beef, which means he keeps them in order to get the milk out of them. He has a son and two daughters, my cousins, so I got to hang out with them for the whole time I was off school. To get around the land we have the usual... self-propelled wagons, but there were also horses. Horses, like frayen, can go places no wheeled vehicle can go, so we used to ride all over the back country and camp out, too.

"A horse looks roughly about the same shape as a frayen but is much bigger. A frayen's head would about come up to the back of a horse. The colors are different, and the hide is different. I learned to ride when I was about eight or so, my years, on a slightly smaller breed of horse but exactly the same to handle. So I've been riding every summer since then. I know frayen are different than I've been used to but I don't think they'll be that different to ride."

"But, dear," Terys said, "you are different. You are not the boy who rode those... horses."

"I know, ma'am, but my two female cousins rode too, just as much as I did. Lots of women ride, in fact in some parts of the country, more women ride than men do. Most of us ride for pleasure, now, of course. In older days before we found out how to make... wagons that moved themselves, everybody rode horses. I'm surprised that the same doesn't happen here."

Robanar frowned and shuffled in his chair. "It might be some kind of custom, some reason we have forgotten," he rumbled. "Bleskin, what are your concerns in this matter?"

"Sire, if Milady Garia thinks that she may be able to ride a frayen in the same manner as the men, then I personally would not object to her finding out if that is true or not. It is the effect on others that concerned me, Sire. What will your subjects outside the gates think, if Milady Garia should appear mounted before them? She herself has expressed concerns over what attire she might wear. If this is handled without careful consideration, trouble may be the result."

Robanar nodded. "As you say, Bleskin. Milady Garia, do you have a proposal?"

"Sire, I don't want to cause any more trouble. As you are aware, there is probably enough of that to come as it is. I think what I need to do is to conduct some experiments, like I did when I wanted to exercise. That way, I can find out if I can ride a frayen, and if I can, we can work out what the most suitable clothes I could wear while doing so. I guess it's probably going to be something similar to what I wear for exercising, Sire."

"Very well. I would suggest you make these experiments away from the gaze of others, until you are all in agreement that you would not cause alarm to the palace staff - or the guard." He paused, thinking. "Garia, what you ask of us this time is a different matter than forks... or steam engines. I am quite prepared to believe you when you say that these practices you describe are normal on Earth, but they are not so here. Captain Bleskin is right when he says that the people may not accept that a woman can ride as well as any man might. It might also be that they will accept that you may be able to do such things, because you are a stranger here, and strangers often have customs different than those in Palarand. What they might not accept is the idea that other women may ride as you are able to do, and inevitably there will be someone who sees you and says, 'I can do that.' For that reason, I ask that you use your discretion, and I shall not give my full approval until after you have completed your experiments."

Garia inclined her head. "As you command, Sire. I understand it is a delicate subject."

Robanar turned. "My dear, do you wish to ask anything?"

"Garia, dear, is it true that so many women ride on Earth?"

"It is so, ma'am, though not as many as once did so. It costs a lot of money to look after a horse these days. If my uncle didn't own a farm, I probably wouldn't have learned to ride."

"I think, dear... you and I had better have another long talk about Earth soon," Terys said. Garia knew what that meant. "This is a part of your society you haven't mentioned much before."

"As you wish, ma'am. At your convenience."

"Then it is settled. Captain, you can manage the arrangements?"

"I shall do so, ma'am."

"Then, I think it is time for our nap. If there is nothing more?"

~o~O~o~

"Are we right, my dear, to let her do this? It never occurred to me that she might be able to ride."

"We don't know yet that she can, dear. Remember, it was the boy that rode, and the beasts, from her description, very different than our own. To answer your question, we shall not know until she has made the test. Either she will be able to master the frayen or she will not. If she succeeds, then there will be the question of... appearance. Presentation. So far, she has shown an agile mind for someone who was once a boy, and the clothes she uses for exercising are very clever. I am content to await developments."

"What of the men? Do you think the Guard will object to having a girl riding in their midst?"

Terys gave a snort. "If you can spare the time, husband, you should spend some bells observing your Guard at work. Those men stand no nonsense, and many of them are seasoned, experienced warriors who have seen service in many parts of Alaesia. They know the difference between real and make-believe, and they know that Garia is real. They have seen her fight, remember. If she says she can ride, they will try their hardest to ensure that she is able to. Have no concerns, there, dear. It is those outside the gates who may object, when the time comes."

"You mention something else that concerns me. Has she become a bad influence for my men? Does she associate too closely with them? Their sworn duty is to protect their King, after all. Is their allegiance now divided?"

"No more divided than between yourself and your heir, husband. With maybe a thought for myself at times."

"You're right, my dear, I'm being foolish. Many of our present guard also served when Elizet and Malann were younger, this is no different."

"Neither of our daughters ever challenged a Duke to a duel, but you are right, this is no different. She has become part of the family, and the Guard will defend us all as it is sworn to do."

"As you say, my dear."

~o~O~o~

It was gloomy when Keren, Garia and Merizel returned to the Large Training Room later that afternoon. The sun was still up, but the light coming in through the high windows was minimal and the room was filled with shadows. None of the candelabra hung from the high ceiling was lit, only oil-lamps set near each door enabled them to see where they were going.

"Highness, Milady!" Bleskin called from beside the Small Training Room. "This way."

When they reached him they saw that some of her file stood waiting. She had almost expected this, if she was going to try something new then of course they would be interested in the results. Bleskin saluted before leading them into the smaller room. Two of her men peeled off and took guard outside the doors, which they closed behind the party. Inside, it was considerably lighter, the candelabra here having been filled with candles and lit, then pulled up out of the way. Other lamps were fixed to the walls above the protective planking. She was wearing a fresh suit of her training outfit for this afternoon's experiments.

"Milady, I thought we might try the dummy beast to begin with, it will allow you to become used to the size and the arrangement of the saddle and harness."

The dummy she had seen on previous occasions had been pushed to the center of the room. It had been fitted with a harness of leather straps which looked like a complex halter, but which was not too unusual. The saddle, instead of a pommel, had a handle running from side to side both in front of and behind the rider.

"Thank you, captain, that was thoughtful."

She walked over to the dummy. Because she was so short, the saddle was still about the height of the top of her head. I should be able to pull myself up here with those handles, if the stirrups are in the right place. Where are..?

"These are the stirrups?"

She held up a thick loop of leather which was fixed to the front of the saddle.

"Yes, milady. Oh, of course, your legs will be shorter, we will make adjustments once you are mounted. Do you need assistance?"

"I don't know, captain. I'll try to get on first by myself, I think."

She looked at the loop in her hand. I know I am a lot more flexible than before, but I doubt even I can get my foot up that high. Even if I do, I won't be able to lever myself up. She turned.

"Captain, these loops are too high for me. Can somebody give me a hand up, please?"

Bleskin looked embarrassed as he stepped forward, since it was obvious he wasn't sure how to handle the situation. Fortunately, Feteran came to her rescue by standing forward, linking his hands and lowering them in front of him.

"Here, milady."

She reached up and grabbed the handles before lifting her booted foot and placing it in his hands, then turned slightly and put the other in the stirrup loop. Pulling up, she hoisted herself into the saddle, swinging a leg over the back of the dummy as she did so. Sitting up straight, she smiled down at everyone.

"What do you think?" She frowned. Neither foot could now reach the loop of the stirrup and the saddle was... uncomfortable, to say the least. It was too big fore and aft, and nowhere near wide enough for her liking. Of course, it's those great big hips I now have. Damn. She became aware that her skirt was bunched up round her thighs, and hastened to try and pull it down all round, with little success. And I already figured that this skirt wasn't going to work. She compromised by pulling the rear under her bottom and that gave her enough at the front to stretch forward as far as her knees, but it looked awkward. Fortunately, she was wearing tights, and everybody in the room had seen her like that enough times that it no longer caused any comment.

I wonder if these saddles are made to measure, or...

"Captain, this is not the right saddle for me. Do they come in different sizes and shapes?"

"Of course, milady. The saddle you now have is probably from earlier today when the new recruits were using the dummy." Bleskin considered the saddle, his lips pursed. "The shape of your..."

"Backside, captain. Let's be straightforward, here. Backside."

"As you say, milady. Your backside is not as a man's would be, of course. You may well fit a saddle made for one of the younger men, but ideally you will need one better made to fit your shape. I will find you a more suitable one when you try a real beast tomorrow, and depending on the outcome we shall have a saddle ordered for you. Shall I adjust those stirrups for you, milady?"

"If you can, captain. I don't think those are going to adjust up high enough, and anyway they're too far forward to be comfortable for me."

Bleskin, with the assistance of Feteran, struggled with the loops and eventually got them to a point where they supported her feet and legs.

"Do you normally have the stirrups set this far forward, captain? This seems unnatural to me. I know my legs are shorter than anyone else's but even a man would find these awkward."

"I don't understand you, milady. Stirrup loops are always hung from the front of the saddle. Their purpose is mostly to keep the rider's legs out of the way as one rides." Bleskin's expression sharpened. "You prefer having the stirrups set farther back, milady? Does this provide benefits? Is this something that would be of use to us?"

She smiled down at him. "Captain, we do. However, I think I'd like to try your system out on a real animal before I start suggesting anything. A smaller saddle may make a difference, in any case. So, I'm up here, and I want to make my beast stop and go. What do I do?"

Bleskin took her through the simple commands and rein movements that were used to control frayen. It didn't seem that there were too many commands: stop, go, left, right, faster, slower. Garia became puzzled. Did they not have the same range of possibilities that she was used to with a horse? Why didn't they use a bit? What happened when they fought while riding?

"Captain, if you're fighting from up here, how do you do that?"

"Take both reins in your left hand, milady. You may also hold the saddle-grip at the same time to keep your balance. There would be small shields strapped to your left arm, upper and lower. Your lance or sword would be in your right hand as usual."

"What about a bow? Can you use one of those from up here?"

Feteran answered. "Milady, some of the men have mastered the art of using a crossbow while riding, but once you have loosed there is no easy way to cock again or ready another bolt. That requires both time and the use of two hands, not always available during a battle. We do not use either long or short bows while riding, although archers can fire if the beast is not moving."

Feteran's eyes widened as he took in Garia's expression.

"Milady, do you tell us that where you came from, men may fire bows while riding? How is this possible?"

"Feteran, there are men, tribesmen of desert and grassland, who can fire arrows while at the gallop."

"Gallop, milady? What is that?"

Dear God. Do they really not know how to get these creatures moving? Guess not, if they have the stirrups set so far forward. They can't possibly not know what a gallop is, surely!

"This is tricky to explain. Um, suppose one of those flying creatures we saw at the festival, what did you call them? Grakh. Suppose there are frayen in a field, a grakh comes down and they get spooked. The frayen run away, as fast as they can. Is that so?"

"That's correct, milady," Bleskin said. "They usually scatter in every direction, hoping the grakh will choose a beast in a different direction."

"Well, that running away as fast as they can, we would call a gallop."

They all stared at her, except Keren, who merely smiled.

"You can ride an animal while it is running like that?" Bleskin asked. "Do you not fall off?"

"Sometimes, captain, yes. Staying on is a matter of training, mostly, but luck is also involved. I don't know if that can be done with frayen, because I don't know enough about them."

"But," Bleskin asked, "how do you control the beast, milady, if it is running like that? To be able to aim and shoot at the same time?"

"With your knees, captain. And your boots. Essentially, you're standing up in the stirrups. Again, it's a matter of training, but this time it's the beast which must know what you intend."

Bleskin nodded. "We use knees and boots sometimes, milady, but what you describe is an unknown art to us. Will you teach us this art?"

She gave him a wry smile. "I thought I was the one who was supposed to be learning here, captain. Let me learn to ride a frayen and then maybe I can help you find out what we can do with them."

"Have you learned enough today, milady? Shall we continue tomorrow?"

"Yes, please, captain!" Garia twisted her body and raised her right leg, sliding out of the saddle in a way which proved she was familiar with the procedure. She turned to him with a smile. "A real frayen will be a different beast altogether, won't it? Merizel says I can rearrange what I have planned for tomorrow afternoon, so I can spend as long here as you want me to, captain." She frowned. "I'm going to have to think very carefully about what I might wear, though. Would you object if I appear like this tomorrow?"

"Not at all, milady. It seems that my fears over any possible problems were unfounded. Until I actually saw you sitting there, I didn't know what to expect. Until tomorrow then?"

~o~O~o~

"Well, Bleskin?"

"She is certainly familiar with the art of riding, Sire, even though we used only the dummy beast today. She wishes to proceed as we discussed, Sire. I shall try her on a real animal tomorrow. The saddle may become a problem, of course. I have explained what is required to our saddler and I have no doubt he will find something suitable for tomorrow's exercise."

"And her clothing? What did she wear today?"

"The same, ma'am, as she wears for her normal training. The men are all familiar with her attire now so there is no problem for us within the training rooms. I noticed that she did not remove her skirt as usual, though."

"The circumstances are slightly different, captain. Perhaps she felt the need for some additional modesty."

"I cannot answer that, ma'am. Sire, she speaks of actions her people can do while mounted which sound impossible here. Like, riding a beast which is running as hard as it can, and firing a bow at the same time."

Robanar raised an eyebrow. "Indeed? Of course, she is familiar with different animals than ourselves, and the traditions of her people may lead them to be capable of feats we cannot do with frayen. You yourself know that in the north of Alaesia, men ride strange animals that can perform tasks we cannot make frayen do."

"As you say, Sire."

"You may proceed as we agreed, captain. If any more of these hints or other ideas are mentioned, be sure to pass them on to me, won't you?"

"As you command, Sire."

~o~O~o~

"It's a bit different than the dummy, isn't it?"

Garia walked round the frayen which was waiting patiently in the middle of the group of onlookers. The head was very like that of a thin, elongated rhino, though of course without the horns. The skin was hard and gray like a rhino's as well, thought the beast she faced was shaped more like a large donkey or a mule than a rhino. Two ears stuck up at the top of the head, mobile like a horse's ears were though differently shaped.

It was clear that a different sized saddle had been provided, for this one looked much newer than the one on the dummy against the wall. She approached the animal from an angle and placed her hand on it's nose. It promptly flicked it's head away and she heard the snick of teeth as it tried to bite her hand. Just as promptly she moved her hand out of the way and tapped it smartly on the snout.

"Now, now! That's not the way to treat a prospective rider."

The frayen looked at her with what seemed to be disbelief. There were grins on the faces of some of the watching men. Frayen were notorious for attempting to bite at unexpected times.

She placed her hand on top of the head, between it's ears, and gently ran it down the nose until she reached the top lip. Once there, she grasped the top lip with her thumb and curled it outward so she could check the teeth.

"Ah. I understand now," she said conversationally. The frayen was held in a fixed position, since any head movement would be painful. "In the animals I rode on Earth, horses, the teeth are in two separate groups, one lot in the front for grazing, and others at the back, here, for chewing. Frayen don't seem to have that. In a horse, we actually put a metal part called a bit across the tongue in the gap between the sets of teeth. That means we can control such a big animal so much easier."

She let go of the lip and straightened up.

"That's not a problem, I don't think. We have other animals we ride which don't take a bit." She grinned at Bleskin. "Just might take a bit more stopping, that's all."

She walked round to the side of the animal and had a look at the legs, finding little of special interest. She hadn't been horse mad, back on Earth, not like some of the girls at school were. Just enough to be able to look after them and spot any well-known problems. The feet were different, though. These creatures were three-toed, rather than having a single hoof. The center toe was the largest and presumably took much of the weight. Each toe spread into a pad with a sturdy nail at the front. The tail was not of hair but was similar to that of a large dog, a meaty appendage the length of her arm that waved from side to side like any dog's tail might.

She returned to the saddle and looked up. Feteran immediately came forward but she stopped him.

"I should be able to do this on my own, Feteran. I'm not that heavy and reasonably fit, after all. Let me try on my own, first."

She grasped the handles and pulled hard, like attempting a chin-up. Once off the floor, she moved first one hand then the other until her body was stretched over the saddle. Then she moved her right hand from the back rail to the front, at the same time swinging her right leg over the frayen's back. A little adjustment and she sat up, smiling.

"There! Thought I could do it! I don't say I'd like to do it that way every time, but it works. Now, if we could get these stirrup loops adjusted, please."

Some pulling and tugging by Keren and Feteran and her feet were in the loops. She surprised them all, then, by clucking twice and shaking the reins. The frayen sedately walked off, steered in a large circle once they reached the walls. They watched in awe as she circled the room, first in a walk and then at the trot. She didn't keep that up for very long, since the room really wasn't big enough, but just enough so that she was sure she could control the pace of the animal.

Bleskin's eyes narrowed as he watched her. She was sitting well forward in the saddle, and she moved up and down in a strange bobbing motion that matched the gait of the frayen. There was a mystery here, and also ample proof that she was a natural at riding the beasts. He couldn't remember the last time a raw recruit had climbed up and just taken charge like that! He watched as she stopped the animal, then practiced left and right turns from standing, and even made it walk backwards. Finally, she grasped the front handle with her left hand, raised her right leg and slid off in a smooth motion to stand smiling in front of him.

"What did you think, captain? Will I do?"

"Milady, if only my guards could ride as you have just demonstrated, I would be well satisfied. Your riding appears strange to our eyes, though. No doubt because your own animals are differently shaped."

"Not as different as all that, captain. Now you know I can do it, can I ask that we go out into the big room? I can't try much out in here."

"It's not very well lit, milady. It will take time to lower the candelabra -"

"Oh, don't bother with that, captain! There's enough light for me to ride in. And, after all, you do ride at night, don't you?"

So out they went, and they watched as she rode the frayen round the Large Training Room, taking it from a walk to a trot and even, briefly, a canter. She tried turns at speed, backing up and even sideways movements, and every time her mount did exactly what she wanted it to. The only trouble came when she attempted an emergency stop.

She issued a sharp stop command and hauled on the reins. The beast responded by stretching it's front legs forward and lowering it's neck, unseating Garia and throwing her over it's head. She had allowed for the possibility so was not entirely surprised by the event. Even so, she landed heavily on her left shoulder before rolling to her feet again. Not the left shoulder again. Wonder what Margra will say this time?

She faced the animal, which stared back at her in the gray half light. Having seen her fall, her watchers began coming towards her, but she held them off with a wave, never removing her eyes from the frayen. With one hand on her hip, she pointed an imperious finger at the floor in front of her. Without a sound, she then swiveled on her heel and faced away from the animal.

"What is she doing?" Keren whispered to Bleskin.

"Something rare, Highness," the captain whispered back. "Something I've heard spoken of. I only know of one other person who would be capable of this feat, if Milady Garia succeeds. Your mother."

Keren gave Bleskin a sharp look before both concentrated on what was happening in the distance.

The frayen's tail curled between it's rear legs, a sign of unhappiness. Slowly, reluctantly, it walked forward, finally stopping by Garia's side and nuzzling her left hand. She partly turned and began to stroke it's nose, at the same time speaking softly to it. After a short while, she moved to the left side and hauled herself back into the saddle, this time less awkwardly than before. She walked the animal around again to relax both of them before returning to where Bleskin was standing. She looked down at him with a smile.

"Captain, this is great! I'm glad you let me do this, I really am. This saddle suits me a lot better, and I'd ride this if this was all there was." Her smile faded. "I really would ask that you get someone to move these stirrup loops back, though. I'm sure your men would find them much more comfortable that way as well. For me, it's uncomfortable having them set way out there. What did you think of my riding so far?"

"Milady, I ought to be astonished, but I know you too well by now." He grinned up at her. "It seems you need little practice to adjust from riding a horse to riding a frayen. However, there is more to the use of such beasts as these than just riding about as you have shown us this afternoon. Will you let us instruct you in those arts? It seems only fair to return the favor, considering the gifts that you are giving to us."

"Captain, I will, and thank you for the offer. I know my schedule is a busy one, but I think I would consider this a recreation rather than work, if you get what I mean. Riding is something I am familiar doing, and if it is possible for me to continue doing it, then I will."

"Then we shall arrange for you to meet the saddler as soon as we may. The stirrup loops, we can ask him about when we meet him."

"Actually, captain, we don't use stirrup loops..."

Garia went on to explain the metal stirrups commonly in use on Earth, and how they were fixed to the saddle by straps. It was decided that, as they were of metal, she should also have a talk with their armorer for production of a prototype.

"Merizel? Got all that?"

"Yes, Garia. Saddler tomorrow, Armorer the next afternoon, if they can be arranged. Hmm."

"What? Something I've forgotten? Some meeting I'm late for?"

"Hmm? Oh, no, I was just thinking, Garia. I've been watching you ride round and thinking that it looks easier than using a chair. You told us yesterday that many women ride on Earth. Do you think I could ride like you?"

There were broad grins on some of the men, who had all been standing in the shadows watching her performance. Milady Garia riding was one thing, Milady Merizel quite another! Even Bleskin looked surprised.

"Milady Merizel, would your request be a serious one? It would not be the same for you as it is for Milady Garia, since she already knew how to ride like that. You would be learning as the recruits do."

"I know that, captain. I just wondered, that's all."

"Let us prepare Milady Garia to ride properly, and in public, first, and then we may consider your own request, milady. We have much to arrange in terms of tack, saddles and clothing before we may let any woman ride in anything other than this empty room, and we do not even know yet whether His Majesty may permit such a thing in public." He frowned, his expression almost hidden in the gloom now descending as the sun lowered. "There is a possibility," he said after a while, "that allowing you both to ride might be advantageous."

"How so, captain?" Garia had dismounted and stood in front of them.

"The area you will be visiting later on this year - Blackstone, I mean - is a rough, rural area and the roads are not of the best quality," he explained. "Blackstone Vale itself has only a rough wagon track leading into it, and not very far at that. It would be useful if we could leave the wagons in Blackstone and travel in with just pack animals." He nodded thoughtfully to himself. "Let me discuss this notion with His Majesty, miladies. Our trip north has not been planned yet, and this may make a difference."

"Oh. As you say, captain." Garia had a thought. "Do you know that area, Captain Bleskin? And you did say 'our' trip north, didn't you?"

"I did, milady. It will be after I retire. My wife and I will return to North Palarand, from where I came originally to serve His Majesty's father many years ago. The fact that we may accompany you as far as Blackstone is a happy circumstance. My family's lands are some marks from there, but I did travel in those parts during my youth. So, I do know that country, although I doubt not that much has changed since I was last there."

"I would be delighted with your company, captain! Even if it is out of date, old knowledge is better than no knowledge at all. And you may be right, if we can all go mounted, it may make our visit easier. Oh! We forgot. What about our maids? We cannot ask them to learn to ride as well, can we?"

Keren spoke. "Let's not get ahead of ourselves, everyone. We've barely gotten Garia on the back of a frayen and now you want everyone in the palace to learn to ride! We've plenty of time to plan that journey and plenty of time to solve all the problems. Let's get Garia riding first, and then we'll have more to base our plans on."

"As you say, Highness," Bleskin said. "I think we've done enough for this afternoon, don't you? Let us all go and prepare ourselves for the evening meal."

"Captain, this frayen, does it have a name?"

"Milady, this one is called Snep. As you seem to have reached some kind of understanding with the beast, I assume you would wish to ride it again?"

"If it is possible, captain. Riding is best when you ride an animal which you know - and which knows you."

"Of course, milady. I'll see to it that you have Snep to ride in future."

~o~O~o~

"Ow!"

"Keep still, milady. I've barely begun to rub the salve in yet."

"Why does it always have to be the same place, Jenet?"

Jenet stopped briefly to think. "I don't know, milady. I have seen you tumble in the training rooms and you do not suffer then. Perhaps there is something about the unexpected, some habit you have which makes you land that way when surprised."

"You're probably right, Jenet. Ow!"

"You are very talented, milady. You put us all to shame."

"Not at all, Jenet! It's only about what you've been used to, after all. Why would you think you can do something if nobody puts the idea in your head? Custom, and 'everybody knows', that's what. You get into a certain way of thinking, and then you talk yourself out of things you could quite easily do. Take the riding, for instance. Up till now, frayen have been ridden a certain way, and for so long that nobody has thought there might be other ways to ride. It just needs someone from a different culture to come along and show you different. In some ways, that's true of much that I've shown people in Palarand. You could always do these things, you just didn't know that you could."

"As you say, milady. Although there may be other women who want to ride, like Milady Merizel, I'm not sure that I wish to myself, though. I suspect that riding is one of those things that is best started while you're young."

"Don't worry about that, Jenet. It will probably be two months or more before we head north, plenty of time to organize ourselves. I'm sure Keren will be full of ideas, aren't you?"

"He is a clever young man, milady. The present King is wonderful, and I'm sure his son will be at least as good when his time eventually comes."

"As you say, Jenet. They're both good men, and I wish them both long and happy lives. That's better! There's an initial sting, but it feels much better now."

"Time for bed, then, milady. Here's your nightdress."

"Ooh, good! It's surprising, but even the couple weeks of rain we've had and the temperature has gone down a little already. Just enough to make me want to put something on now, rather than being comfortable with nothing on."

"It will stay this way for some time, milady. And then, once the rain clears, we shall have to consider your wardrobe again."

"Ah. It's never-ending, being a woman, isn't it?"

"As you say, milady. As you say."

up
388 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

SEE

Kewl! Another Christmas present! Thanks Penny, Merry Christmas!

Oh thank ye for the prezzie

... and before Boxing Day too.

Thank you Pens and I look forward to you in the New Year.

Edit: Oh and of course I love the episode. The title could just as easily have been 'The Frayen Whisperer'. :)

Kim

just my words

And just on perfect day as today came christmas Eve and presents, all I am waiting now is Midnight mass. Little Jesus was here and he was generous as whole Christmas evening. I have to say, it was funny to read and watch reactions of others on Garia´s riding. You´ve fed my curiousity a little, you need go on... and soon, if possible.
With Merry Christmas wish
Robin

just my words

edit: double-click, sorry, can someone erase this?

Dangerous knowledge!

Wow talk about dangerous knowledge! the horse cavalry of the mongols nearly destroyed Europe, if not for the death of their Khan and the retreat to honor his death, they would have conquered the slow heavily armored Knights of Europe with the speed of lightly protected and bow weapons on fast horses, it changed warfare everywhere! Look at the blitzkrieg of Germany, or Schwarzkopf's lightning sweep against the Iraqi's. Speed kills! very very well in warfare. What a lesson to teach! and she doesn't have to intend to teach it, the captains and King should see it before she does. The Spanish women's fashions of split skirts to ride would be the easiest to adapt to the gowns of Palarand, if just above the ankle they would allow her to fight nearly as well as in pants yet ride in some modesty.

Draflow

It was the numbers too

If memory serves, if wasn't just the tactics, but the overwhelming numbers too.

But, yeah, I get what you are saying, it could be as changing as anything else she introduces....

Mark

I wonder what she will do when she does not get her way?

I had thought that she might meet more resistance from the men in her desire to ride. Wow. Some day, she is likely to ask for something and encounter a firm no that will stand. It would be fun to work with that.

When I was Muslim, I was told by both men and women that certain things were "for the men", and at first I was incensed, but after a time, it made me feel secure. They would not allow me to do Electrical work, and on reflection when I was more calm, I decided that I actually had enough of it. Another time, I actually had a man take the dip stick from my hand and then gently scold me, at which time he checked the oil and even added a quart for me. Though some of you may not understand it, it made me feel valued.

But, that is just me.

Gwendolyn

Well the reality is also

... changing the oil made HIM feel more valued to himself.

'Well Tsk, Tsk, we can't have a woman doing man's work can we? We have to keep them dependent on us and we can stay in charge.'

is what may be going through his head as he says that. I mean the giver can and get as much out of a gift as the recipient after all.

This is of course thinking of less secure men but there are plenty of them to go around and certainly enough of them to propagate the problem. Women have built-in raison d'etre of 'hey, I make the kid'. Men these days has only the core responsibility of being sperm deliverers. Now it is nice to have them around and all as a full partner is far better than going about it alone. But is it an ABSOLUTE necessity, once enough sperm samples are in storage, in the modern age? Not really.

Before any of the man-lovers here charge in and go all huffy about their men being special, yada, yada. I repeat, I never said men are not valid ( and can be nice ) people, just that they are not the absolute need any more.

Kim

now back to the show!

Of course there will be times of "No you can't" and rightly so, she is a precious resource that cannot be replaced! Her safety and well being are very important to the rapid advancement of Palarand. That said, a king cannot do all he wants because the greater good and nobler doings supplant the individual desires and drives. "A King also serves" would be the proper definition and we will see how Garia serves as well I would think, after all she has sworn allegiance to the crown and country. I just hope her new family can comfort her through the realization of how some of her revealed knowledge can be used to harm as well as help.

Draflow

It's never ending.

It's never ending being a woman???

Now ain't that the truth.

Finally, after 65 years, I'm only just getting to grips with very long hair and make up. Boy-oh-boy! (or is that girl-oh-girl! It suu-uure takes up yer time! But oh girl! It sure feels good! I luuurve the feeling of long hair draped over my shoulders and around my neck.

One day, it's going to be down to my waist at the back!

And when you get the make-up right well it feels good! Truly, a girl feels good, really good!

As to riding a horse? Leave it there love!

Lovely chapter Penny! And happy solstice.

XZXX

Bev.

Growing Old Disgracefully

bev_1.jpg

So where did the copper come from

Native copper has been well known for a while and is fairly pure. Practical electrical wire has to be of low resistance to be efficient so I wonder where they would get it in such good purity. The alternative is to form first wires out of silver which is even more conductive.

Copper Sulfide ore refining still needs these days a bit of electrochemical processing which is not possible in this universe.

Kim

Electronics

While it is desirable to have low resistance wire for longer runs, you won't even notice the difference in your typical radio or whatever.

When wiring a house, the main concern is to keep the wire from overheating and burning the place down. That's why the NEC (National Electrical Code) sets specific limits for the amount of current allowed for a specific wire size -- #12 is good for 20 amps, #14 is good for 15 amps, etc. When using something less conductive, like aluminum, the standards change. I believe that #12 aluminum wire is good for only 15 amps, for instance.

So, while it is highly desirable to refine the copper so that it has a low resistivity, it isn't critical. It isn't a show-stopper. They can work around it by going with higher voltages. A higher voltage allows more power to be transferred with the same current.

I suspect that the first place they will feel the pinch is with electric motors and generators. The wire needs to be long, and it is wound tightly. This causes a problem with heat buildup.

Well that has to be the first technology

and that is of the Generator and if she is visualizing long distance power, than it is really important. Luckily the tech is bootstrapping as a low efficiency generator can be used to refine copper further using electrochemical processing and then wallah the efficiency goes up. Initial motors will need to be pretty big and inefficient because of the resistance problem necessitating higher diameter conductors which would necessitate far bigger windings. Motor winding tables have been around for ages but they will have to guesstimate. Also, don't forget the electron's partner in crime, magnetism. And depending on the availability of magnets of sufficient strength the strength of the motor or generator will change also.

Still, it takes a lot of power to refine copper that way so there will be a fairly inefficient first step.

The other point is that native copper at least on earth is relatively hard to find compared to CuS ores such as Malachite ( I believe ) and gets mined out quickly. The need for industrial levels of copper could potentially wear out mines quickly. On the other hand, this planet can be particularly well endowed with metallic ores and would ease the problem.

Kim

Skills at horse riding

It may be that like many things, riding is most easily learned when young. I learned how when I was about 6, from a very good teacher. She was a champion barrel-racer and a genuine rodeo queen, with many ribbons and more than a few buckles to her name. She taught me to ride a pony and accompany her on her horse, since I would have followed her around on my feet anyway. (Can you say bigtime crush!) Even 20 years later I was able to swing up on a horse and ride decently. I wasn't horse crazy like a lot of girls, I was Paula-crazy, and I had to learn to ride well to be allowed to go out with her on the ranch.

No namby-pamby English saddles either, real Western saddles, more comfortable for both the horse and rider as well as better suited for work. I trust Garia plans on introducing a variation of the Western saddle, as they would better-fit the needs of the Guard forces. (As well as being more likely what she is used to from her ranch summers.)

Karen J.

* * *
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. - Winston Churchill


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

A Real Treat

terrynaut's picture

Yay! Thanks very much for this chapter. It came just in time and made a wonderful prezzie.

Being a horse lover, I paid close attention. I only found one thing that you missed. Treats! I'm sure frayen would appreciate treats just as much as horses. Heh.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Frayen Maintenance

Yes. That would be part of what Bleskin meant when he said that Garia ought to learn all there was about frayen.

Much of what she needs to know will be similar to what Gary learned with horses, after all, so it should be easy for her to adapt. After all, what you have read so far is about the first she has ever had to do with them, as time goes on she will become more familiar with them, as she will with other aspects of life on Anmar.

It was almost entirely happenstance that I got done and decided to post when I did. I did realize that most authors might take a break over the holiday and so I thought it would be nice if people had something different to read. Now all I have to do is find time to write the next one :( Ah, well, at least the weather's not bad.

Penny

Somewhere Else Entirely -41-

What about chariots?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

This Is A Low-Tech Technology

joannebarbarella's picture

Which is capable of transforming the society both from a productivity point of view and also from a sociological angle.

After this Garia will really be a heroine,

Joanne

"Ah. It's never-ending, being a woman, isn't it?"

giggles. I have ridden a horse, and spent enough time around them to know they have different personalities, so she may have gotten lucky.

DogSig.png

His majesty

I wonder what his majesties reaction will be to news of her riding.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Horse of a different color

Jamie Lee's picture

Snep learn right away who was in charge, when it received that slap on it's nose. Once it knew it's leader it obeyed given directions without balking or hesitation. And that surprised those watching, even how Garia chastened the frayen after she flew over its head, and how the animal responded to her chasten.

Garia's talk with Jenet was absolutely correct in reference to those in Palarand, that they were locked in a cycle of tradition saying these do this and those do that. And it took someone like her to show what was possible, which many times is going to go against tradition.

Others have feelings too.

Tradition

Can and does connect you to the past. The difficulty is how to make sure that connection does not become an anchor!

Somewhere else entirely

Hi Penny Not sure if you will read this comment which is being written in January 2024. I just wanted to say thank you for writing such a detailed and fascinating story. I have been hooked from the beginning and I am really looking forward to following the story of Garia and Anmar. This story has echoes of Middle Earth but without the magic and the rings!! This is first class writing and deserves to be brought to a wider audience. So thank you from this 70 years old Penny Lane who is enthralled to discover another but much more talented Penny Lane!

Penny